Trainee Software Engineer II

Trainee Software Engineer II Interview Questions and Tips

HSBC trainee software engineer ii interview

, 12.1k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Trainee Software Engineer II role at HSBC in Dec, 2016
Test Test Technical Interview HR Interview

1 Hours 45 Minutes
  • Section 1: Aptitude + Programming Fundamentals
Programming Fundamentals There were following sections in this test: Aptitude, C, C++, Data Structures, Algorithms & Java (Core). Java questions were of quiet good level and they tested core java knowledge/concepts and programming fundamentals.
For this round I would suggest to attempt suitable number of questions from each section so as to clear section wise cutoff and give more time to java questions. Practice question on threads, multiprogramming, OOP concepts and some core in-built java functions, etc.

• Section 1: Coding round
This section comprised of 2 basic coding questions.

1st Question: Given two strings str1 and str2 and below operations that can performed on str1. Find minimum number of edits (operations) required to convert ‘str1’ into ‘str2’. Insert, Remove and Replace. All of these operations are of equal cost.
2nd Question: Find a triplet in a given array such that product is a given number X (all numbers were present only once, i.e. non repetitive).

Students who cleared at least one question were called for interview in next round.
For this round I would suggest read both the questions first and then go on for attempting the one you think would be easier to code within the given time.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: General + Coding
It started with the mostly frequently asked question “Tell me about yourself” I answered about that (be honest here, and be prepared for this question in almost all interviews). Then he started asking from my resume, he asked me about my project. Most of the time he was discussing my projects and kept asking me about the technologies I have used and a short description on the same.

He then asked me some basic java questions based on OOP concepts, How do you implement multiple inheritance in java ?
Q 1. Write a code to print this pattern:
Q 2. How would you implement an ArrayList Data Structure in Java using other in-built java datatypes and functions.(Implement add, remove, get and set methods).
Q 3. There are 2 trees in a garden (tree "A" and "B") and on the both trees are some birds. The birds of tree A say to the birds of tree B that if one of you comes to our tree, then our population will be the double of yours. Then the birds of tree B tell to the birds of tree A that if one of you comes here, then our population will be equal to that of yours. How many birds in each tree?

This round lasted for around 45-60 minutes.
Be confident with your answers. Explain your approach while solving the problem. Know your resume in and out. Focus on your strengths while discussing your projects. Be thorough with your data structures and algorithms concepts.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: General HR
Started with "tell me about yourself". Then other questions were: What do want to become in Life ?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years ?
According to your achievements in the institute how would it help in the Organization?
What is venture capital ? Suppose you want to start your organization how will you pitch in your ideas to the venture capitalist ?
What are your short term / Long term goals?
What are your strengths and weaknesses?

He then asked my some emotions questions like :
Q 1. You’re driving down the road in your car on a wild and stormy night. The weather is like a hurricane, with heavy rains, high winds, and lightning flashing constantly. While driving, you come across a partially-covered bus stop, and you can see three people waiting for a bus:

An old woman who looks as if she is about to die.
An old friend who once saved your life.
The perfect partner you have been dreaming about (your “soulmate”).
Knowing that you only have room for one passenger in your car (it’s a really small car), which one would you choose to offer a ride to? And why? (Give an out of the box answer not the standard one.)

Q 2. What would you do and how would you react if you see your student swimming slowly in the swimming competition in which everyone else is swimming faster(You are the swimming coach).

What do you think it takes to be successful in this career ?
Why do you want to work in a Banking Technology company ?
What do you know about HSBC ?
How much time have you spent on the internet to find out about HSBC ?
Why HSBC ?
What is passion according to you ?
How passionate are you about working in HSBC ?(Bang the desk and say you want it !!!)
This round lasted for about 60-90 minutes.

I was selected for the “Strikers” profile. A total of 1 student(Only I) was selected, 0 for “Acer” and 1 for “Strikers” profile.
Keep you energy levels high, answer calmly and confidently.
Be honest and try to take the interviewers’ to your strong point.
This is the alert