Trainee Market Analyst

Trainee Market Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Rahul PittyFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
Test HR Interview

1st test had only mathematical calculations, since it was only 6 minute test so I did not wasted my time in selecting the questions, I went on and solved the first 25 out of 40. 2nd test had math and DI questions for 30 minutes; I tried to do selected questions this time. Preparations for CAT helped me lot in doing this test. The company had an absolute cutoff in both the tests.

“Why trading and not aerospace?” the very first question fired on me, I gave a positive answer stating why I find finance more interesting instead of saying anything negative about aerospace. What is 77^3, 141^2 etc some of the verbal calculative questions asked in between, although these are very uncomfortable questions I tried to kept my composure and gave an approximate answer to these questions which was acceptable. Some simple puzzles were asked. After some time the interviewer started pitching for me and telling me stuffs about the company, this is where I was almost sure of an offer. There was no 2nd of interview for me.

At the beginning of the 7th sem I had made up my mind that I don’t want to do MS or Phd but I was still confused between MBA and job. So I decided to prepare for both, which later on I realized that there was a lot common in the preparation of the two. After deciding this, the next question that came to my mind was ‘what kind of job I want?’ To answer this question I needed to develop basic market knowledge about the various sectors and the companies in those sectors which I did by regularly updating myself through newspapers, internet, business magazines etc. At least a month before the placements I was sure that I

would apply only for consulting and finance profiles, since there were more than 5 companies on a single day so having a preference helped me focus better and do well in the interviews.

Resumes: It is the very first test of your creativity by any company and is equally important like any interview. I tried to add some spikes in my resume which is required for both consultancies as well as finance. I started making my resume in September and after hundreds of changes and feedbacks from the seniors (which is most important) and it took me more than a month, so start with resume as early as possible.

PPTs: The most important thing that you learn in ppts is the details of the work profile which you won't find anywhere else. It is the best place to get an answer to all the questions in your mind. So I would suggest you to try and attend as many ppts as possible not because of the compulsion in attendance but for its

benefits. In any ppt make sure that the company tells you the breakup of the compensation package as there are many hidden expenses included in the package.

Preparation: This is the most important input in getting a good job. This basically includes 3 things,

Group Discussions: We used to make a group of 8-10 within our department and sometimes in my wing and discussed on any topic for 15-20 minutes. It would be just like a bulla session but in English and an element of formality involved in it. After the GDs the participants gave the feedback to each other which was most important. For GDs try to keep yourself updated with the current affairs coz most of the times the topics are related to recent happenings. And one more thing don’t feel shy or left out, say whatever you want to say even if you think that the discussion is chaotic.

Case Studies: Make a group of 3-4 people one would be the interviewer, an interviewee and the rest to just watch and would give the feedback at the end. Take up any case from the numerous case books available on the LAN and conduct such sessions. How ever tough or easy the case may be you always learn how to structure the problems and the basic knowledge which is applicable in most of the cases. Do solve lot of puzzles, this will further add to your logical thinking. This can be best done while you go to the canteen every night because a discussion can add a lot dimensions to it.

Personal Interviews: The basic mantra for a PI is to show a positive body language, be cheerful and speak confidently. This basically involves the HR questions and questions related to the stuffs written in your resume. This round is conducted by every company irrespective of whether it is a core or a non core company. I prepared myself for general questions and also participated in various one on one interviews with my friends, initially I thought that such interviews with friends won’t be a formal one but I was wrong, it helped me a lot later on.

Workshops: There would be numerous workshops conducted by the companies and the SPO. Don't miss

out on any of them as it is the most easy and effective way to learn.

Sriman Raja KandulaFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Raipur for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
      Test HR Interview Stress Interview

• Section 1: Calculations/Speed Math
      • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
      • Section 3: Calculations/Speed Math
      The questions were basic but speed was tested throughout the paper. Accuracy matters a lot as many questions were having negative scores fr wrong answers.
      Start with a cool mind and just skip anything that even seems to take time; you can come to it afterwards. Answer only if you are damn sure of the solution.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself that is not there in your resume.
      • Question 2: What are your achievements until now?
      • Question 3: What are your hobbies?
      • Question 4: Who is your inspiration?
      • Question 5: What is it that you have learnt in these years as student?
      • Question 6: Do you want to ask something?
      The first interview was very very cool. I was very much comfortable with the interviewer. All he wanted to know was the real me. He was asking questions to open up myself, completely.
      Be Honest. Be yourself. Never try to manipulate in such kind of free going interview, because they already know what you would answer if you were frank enough.

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Introduce Yourself.
      • Question 2: Why should we take you?
      • Question 3: What is so different about you that makes you stand out of the crowd waiting outside?
      • Question 4: Tell me the sum of all the digits of your mobile number.
      • Question 5: Your CGPA is very low. How do you justify this?
      • Question 6: How risk taking are you? (situation based questions)
      • Question 7: How many cubes are there in a Rubik's cube?(related to hobbies)
      • Question 8: Would you go for Higher Studies?
      • Question 9: What do you know about Futures and Share Markets?
      • Question 10: How much is 19x21? (asked in very serious and stress-inducing manner)
      The Stress Interview is really an interview of a lifetime. The interviewer always showed unsatisfactory expressions. Yet he was throwing me with manipulative questions. All I was able to do is bear a shameless smile throughout the interview. Hobbies were also an interesting subject for questioning.
      Being honest is necessary, but Diplomacy plays a very huge role. They try to corner you with your own answers. So chose your words carefully. Even humiliation may be used  by them as a weapon. Just stay calm and cool. Be confidant about whatever you say. Confidence is the Key to Performance.

• Entrepreneurial skills
      • Decision taking capability
      • Stress control
      • Quick maths
      Any kind of tension would spoil the interviews. So stay as cool as possible.

• Think Without Ink,
      Self Belief is a must. Confidence shows your stability during decision making. Less or no preparation is a must.
      My skillset steered me towards such a job profile.

Karthikeya ReddyFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
      Test Interview Interview

• Section 1: Multiple choice questions based on logical reasoning
      • Section 2: Fill in the blank type questions (calculations)
      Logical reasoning questions were pretty simple.

Calculations were very basic, completely based on BODMAS. (example 91/41 upto 3 significant digits)
      The time available for each question is very limited. Try to complete all the logical reasoning questions (these are scoring and less prone to errors).

Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Strengths and weakness
      • Question 2: Why do you want to join Futures First ?
      • Question 3: One good reason to select you ?
      • Question 4: Hobbies and interests ?
      • Question 5: If not futures first, which company would you like to join and why ?
      • Question 6: If you don't find the work interesting, would you leave the company ?
      • Question 7: What makes you think that you are fit for this role ?
      • Question 8: Facts about the company.
      • Question 9: Rate yourself in mental math, logical reasoning on the scale of ten.
      • Question 10: Guess Estimate
      I had no knowledge of trading. I did not attend the company's Preplacement talk.
      We had a lot of talk on my hobbies and interests and i explained him the reason i wanted to work in futures first. I could not complete the Guess estimate but i explained him the way to arrive at the solution.
      The interviewer does not expect you to have a strong knowledge on trading but expects you to have interest in learning new things. Try to explain that you are more interested in learning, you have excelled in areas you're interested in and that you are very excited to work for them. What ever you say, be confident.

Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Three reasons you would not want to join futures first ?
      • Question 2: Why is your CG so low (this will be the same even if your CGPA is 9)
      • Question 3: You are not consistent in your academics. We don't think you can survive in our company ?
      • Question 4: One achievement in your life you are proud of ?
      The interviewer tried to bluff me telling that i got very less marks in the qualifying test and was just and the cut off. I was very confident that i would get more than what he was telling, So I said that there might be some error in correction and i would definitely get more than that. The interviewer actually like my confidence and my sincerity. (I rated myself very poor in mental math but i explained that i can calculate very quickly given me a piece of paper). I did not hesitate to tell them that i would leave the company if i don't find the work interesting.
      The main aim of this round is to test your breaking point, so if you could stretch you limits here, its very easy to qualify this round. But answer every question logically because there will be a lot of follow up questions.

• Logical reasoning
      • Mental math

• CAT books,

Indraneel PiseFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Jodhpur for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
      Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview

36 mins Minutes
      • Section 1: Aptitude 30 questions in 30 minutes
      • Section 2: Calculation based questions 30 questions in 6 minutes
      Section 1 - Quant, basic mathematics and return calculations(finance). Level lower than CAT.
      Section 2 - Simple calculation based questions. 4*4 multiplication, divisions, squares, cubes, square roots etc. No options and less time, so one needs to be very fast and accurate.
      115 students appeared for the test at our institute.
      9 were shortlisted after the test.
      If you are preparing for CAT, you won't have any problem clearing it. Also take a look at return calculations since it is not part of CAT syllabus.
      For the people not preparing for CAT, brush up basic mathematics and take a look at questions from aptitude book for placement tests(Agarwal).
      Practice vedic maths for section 2.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: What do you know about trading?
      • Question 2: What is algorithmic trading?(My B.Tech project is algo trading related)
      • Question 3: What is the probability of you getting selected today?(Guesstimate)
      • Question 4: What is the number of cars passing per day on the road(I could watch the road from the window for 2 minutes)? (Guesstimate)
      • Question 5: If given 5 lakh rupees now, what will you do with it?
      Mostly resume based since I had multiple projects in finance and trading.
      9 students appeared for the interview, 3 shortlisted.
      Be through with your projects. Practice guesstimates and display your approach in a tabular form to the interviewer. Try to show enthusiasm towards enterpreneurship.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Matchstick puzzle
      • Question 2: Counting triangles and quadrilaterals
      • Question 3: Pirate puzzle
      • Question 4: Why futures first?
      • Question 5: Why non-core job?
      • Question 6: Are you okay with long working hours?
      It was a mixture of puzzles and HR questions.

Ankush. Raghuvanshi.FresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
      Resume Shortlist Test HR Interview

I listed down my achievements and key projects undertaken and then prioritized them in order of importance. I read the Be prepared material of batch 2006 and also saw a few resumes of senior students to understand the structure of an ideal resume. I attended pre-placement talks. I got a brief idea of the various profiles the companies offered and the basic knowledge about the companies. I did not talk to anyone about choosing between jobs/companies but was clear of my priorities. I was most inclined towards joining a finance firm, then a core and the least towards a software

At first stage they conducted a 3 minute test. It checked your calculation speed. 85 people were selected for the 2nd
        stage. In 2nd stage they conducted a one hour aptitude test. 33 people were selected for the 3rd stage.

At 3rd stage a half an hour interview was taken of each candidate. 11 people were selected for the fourth stage. At fourth stage again a 25 minutes interview was taken. Finally 3 people were made final offers. In the first interview I was first asked about the academic projects that I had undertaken. Since I had written about a project Related to foreign exchange I was asked about every minute detail in it and some general economic basics like impact of inflation on interest rates etc. Then I was asked some HR questions such as: Why would you join a finance firm inspite of having a technical background? What do you know about our company? what are your strengths? Then I was given a case study to estimate the number of black cars in Calcutta. If someone wants to appear for this company, what all should he/she ideally prepare? He/she should build his aptitude and good calculation skills. He/she should also be clear about what the company is all about. He/she should be clear about every point written in his/her resume

-I was a regular reader of editorials of newspapers like The Hindu, Hindustan Times, Times of India.<br /> I prepared for the CAT exam which was of great use to me in clearing the aptitude tests of various companies. I read the Beprepared material of batch 2006 which helped me to prepare and have the right mindset required for an interview. For test preparation I think practicing the CAT exam based questions individually is of great help to build one’s aptitude for the tests. For GD, preparation in groups with a variety of topics is of great help. For interviews too preparation in groups for different types of HR questions makes one keep a track of how clear his viewpoints are and the regular inputs or feedback from other members improves one’s ability to perform well in an interview.
          One must be in an impressive formal attire but also comfortable. In spite of the nervousness inside one must keep calm which ultimately will keep your performance at its peak as excessive zeal may lead one into wrong direction.

Shakti PrasadFresherSelected
          Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
          Test Puzzle Interview HR Interview Stress Interview

• Section 1: General Maths Test (Aptitude)
          • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
          questions are easy. time constraint plays a critical role.
          practice a lot of problems on similar lines. IndiaBix, etc sites have such problems for pratice

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: How many tubelights are there in the room?
          • Question 2: What's the color of the wall behind you?
          • Question 3: What's the number of AC vents in the room?
          One gotta pay attention to whatever is being asked.
          Relax a bit , hear and listen to the question properly. give some time. answer

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Hobby/interest
          • Question 2: weakness
          • Question 3: what have you learnt in the past that has made you the person you're
          good interactive session
          be yourself. a bit of exposure to these sort of questions helps

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: 3 digit * 3 digit in 10 secs
          • Question 2: you would fail! then what?
          • Question 3: what do u really know about FF? Is it a sort of gamble?
          • Question 4: etc
          be calm. keep a smile on your face. don't over-react

• Number Skills
          • to stay calm under pressure
          • Communication skills

Videos
          • sear5ch for life of a trader,
          • Check Cousera,
          Regular practice. Soft Skill development. smile. stress handling capacity. good prep for HR questions. Confidence
          Lot to learn. Market Analysis is the base for any business. The entire process of preparing will get you acquainted with terms and theory that might help you in MBA interviews. Also MONEY! :D
          I was almost done with in 5 minutes as they were pretty tired and had almost rejected me. They asked me if i had any final questions.. I replied "Do you want to have an RJ in your company?"And the interview starts again. :)

Shakti Prasad BadajenaFresherSelected
          Test Group Discussion Technical Interview Stress Interview

• Section 1: Written Round: 75 questions in 29 minutes
          I have a fetish for numbers. So, rather than a month long preparation, requisite effort was there for quite some time and a brief stint with Vedic Maths formulae sufficed. One can always start with the Vedic Math channels in YouTube

There were no GD

In the 1st round of interview, the interviewer asked question primarily based on my CV and the form they had asked us to fill up right before the interview

Stress Interview

The 2nd round was basically, a stress interview. They test you by asking to multiply numbers in your head, in let’s say, 10 seconds. Or by giving you fictional scenarios.
          I was in touch with our seniors in the company, who had suggested that, a brief idea about trading and markets would help. I have been following Investopedia for quite
          some months. Also, I have been following YouTube channels of Lex Van Dam et al, to know about high pressured trading environments. Ultimately, they were quite helpful
          and if you really have interest in knowing these things, you will enjoy the entire prep process

NA
            I had no interest for going into any of the Core companies. So, I had made up my mind to go into anything but Core or IT. And after going through Futures First job profile and the reviews of some of our alumni placed in the company, it was one company that I was hoping for. So, yes, I am satisfied.
            Getting placed is more luck than anything else. But, a bit of preparation can always come in handy. I would suggest a constant study of the current happenings in the business world. Reading newspapers and books or following blogs can be of great help.For this company in particular, practicing speed maths is a must as some of us faced questions of 3-digit and 2-digit multiplication to be answered without pen and paper within, 10 seconds. Stay calm for interview, because the key, ultimately, is confidence. Just remember, no one gets anything more than one deserves and before the scheduled time. So, deserve, desire and chill.

Pulidindi RamakanthFresherSelected
            Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
            Resume Shortlist Test Interview

CGPA cutoff

Duration : 5 min + 30 min
              The first test needs no special material to prepare. You need to be quick in solving the simple mathematical problems. There is no negative marking in this test.

Interview

2 stress interviews. There was no HR round as such, but we were given a sheet to fill containing all HR questions prior to the personal interviews. There were interview questions based on the answers I gave in this sheet. Both the interviews were stress interviews. There was no much difference in the two rounds. I had guesstimates, in both rounds. There was also a small session of quant question's.
              I have got a lot of interview fundaes from seniors and also saw many videos regarding it.

There was a constant smile on my face all through my interview period. I did not loose my confidence levels, even though I had made few mistakes in my interview. All that you have to show them is that you were able to handle pressure and react properly, even in stressful conditions. My scores in both the tests were just decent. I feel, I made it through, just because of my performance in both the interviews.

• CAT preparation ,
              • Kalpakjian for manufacturing book ,
              Core or Non-core you need to have basic fundaes regarding the other. You never know where you gonna end up.

I started my core preparation, one n half month before the placement season.Starting the preparation earlier could've brought NO change in my case but it would surely be helpful.

There was no preparation for non-core in particular. I went through thebasics of trading (required for FUTURES FIRST) just 2 days before the interview.

I went through the GATE book for my core preparation. I prepared basic subjects in every area i.e.; design, manufacturing and thermal. I studied chapters like TD, SOM from GATE book, and referred kalpakjian for

manufacturing.

Even if you are aspiring for one among the core or the non-core job, you need to have basic fundaes regarding the other. You never know, where you gonna end up.

Saket DugarFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Durgapur for Trainee Market Analyst role at Futures First
              Test Test Stress Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: basic mathematics and quantitative ability
              first round comprised of 30 questions to be solved in 5 minutes.all the questions were pretty simple and basic.around 25-26 questions were easily doable within the time limit.
              just stick to the basics and try to solve as many questions as possible in the given time.

• Section 1: logical reasoning and data interpretation
              these questions were bit difficult and required logical thinking.I attempted around 20 questions and cut off goes around generally 13-14.cut off can be crossed easily in the given time.

FresherSelected
                Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview HR Interview

No CGPA criteria. One must be interested in finance, especially trading.

There are two stages of written tests.

The company gave a form to be filled by all the candidates just before the start of interviews. A few questions will be based on the answers one provides in the form. The form contained fields for all the academic information and around 20 short HR questions to be answered in 2-3 lines each. Again arithmetic ability is tested extensively in this round also. One should also be good with guesstimates. Examples include questions like 58*32, 5th root of .32768. Be confident of your answer.

This was mostly an HR based interview. Questions based on CV (POR and intern especially) were also asked. Prepare for some basic HR questions. Show some enthusiasm while answering questions.

• Strong arithmetic skills
                  • quantitative aptitude
                  These skills are tested extensively in the second written test and also in the interview. Math ability of the student plays a very important role in the selection process. CAT preparation would be good enough for the second written test. If you are serious about the company, start learning vedic maths or work on your arithmetic skills. Go through Investopedia for some finance related funda. Also, Futures First will start an online game called “Trade Moghul” sometime in August, so if you play that game and end up in the top 100 countrywide, you directly get an interview call.