Technical Writer

Technical Writer Interview Questions and Tips

Oracle technical writer interview

, 12.4k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Technical Writer role at Oracle
Test Test Technical Interview Behavioural Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: Basic Written Test
This first round of written test was conducted to gauge the basic knowledge and proficiency of the English Language. The test comprised of  some objective sections that needed the candidates to correct grammatically incorrect sentences, list the correct order of steps, etc.
It also included a few subjective essay-type questions to depict the candidates flow of writing.
As much as we think we know English very well, it's always better to keep learning more! Even if that includes checking spellings and pronunciations of words that we thought we knew correctly all along.

• Section 1: Techincal Written Test
This was a more thorough test to test the technical acumen of  the candidates. It had specific concept and task related questions.
It's important to go through the job description and do your research about what the daily responsibilities may look like. Working on how you'll perform these tasks is equally important!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about the OS your phone uses? What are the other phone operating systems available in the market.
  • Question 2: Describe in steps how you downloaded any software recently.
  • Question 3: What do you know about Databases? Especially the Oracle Database.
  • Question 4: What knowledge to you have about PL/SQL?
Having had absolutely no technical background at all, this was the toughest round for me. I knew the answers to some questions and didn't know the answers to most! I was honest about the fact that I didn't know certain answers and didn't try to come up with answers that I thought would be correct. That seemed to have worked for me as the interviewer appreciated the honesty.
Textbook answers are cliched! Be real, be honest and admit if you don't know something rather than pretending that you do.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What if you and a teammate propose two different ideas for a project and only one can get chosen? What would your approach be like?
  • Question 2: If you know two team members don't get along with each other and they both come and speak to you about the other person, how would you handle both these colleagues?
This round was an interesting experience because no matter how prepared you go for an interview, you never know what hypothetical situation you may end up in. It helps you understand yourself better, too!
Ask a few friends to conduct a mock interview for you before your actual interview. Different people bring in different perspectives so they'll ask you different kinds of questions to help prepare you for this round.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Who's your favourite teacher in college and why?
  • Question 2: What are your other interests?
  • Question 3: What kind of books do you like reading?
This round of interview was with the managers. It was a fun round because they kept it extremely informal and fun. They wanted to observe the kind of team player I'd make and it also helped me establish a comfortable rapport with them.
Always aim at all-round development. A corporate office environment goes way beyond just your work. Your sincerity, integrity, adaptability, and accommodating levels matter, too.

• Writing skills
  • Oratory skills
  • Learning/Graping skills
  • Technical acumen
I can't stress enough on how important it is to be yourself during an interview. It'll also make you less stressed about the whole experience. Put in effort to prepare with all your data and facts, but also try and make the interview as interesting as you can for the interviewers. You have to show how and why you're different from the many other candidates that they're going to meet.
Great brand value for a fresher and a relatively upcoming job profile.
This is the alert