Supply Chain

Supply Chain Interview Questions and Tips

Abhishek VinakolluFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at HUL
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Try not to lie in the resume.
Make sure the formatting is crisp.
Do not forget to highlight important points

To decide the course of action of the VP of a automobile company launching a new car which is facing minor glitche
I felt the GD was slightly chaotic, with a lot of cross talk. Thus we couldn't deliberate on some important points as the course of discussion was being continuously shifted and some subtle details were overlooked. Our group came to a conclusion a tad bit too early after which our moderator questioned us possible situations and scenarios that we hadn't taken into consideration. Two people made it through the GD, me and a friend of mine.
Make sure the moderator notices you. For that be loud and clear while you talk.
Address the group as a whole. Maintain eye contact with everyone.
A common myth as far as GDs are concerned is that the person who talks the most goes through. You might talk for 20 minutes straight and still might not make it through if you do not put across relevant points.
Think before you speak. Only speak if you have something that would really add value to the discussion. Avoid repeating or reframing points that have been already made by other members.
Listen to other people. Always remember that the group as a whole is being judged.
Keep a track of noteworthy points made by other members by writing them down on a notepad. This will help you conclude better and ensures that you don't miss out on anything important.
The most important aspect, make sure that the group comes to a conclusion. The whole exercise of the GD is to come to a decision and not just analysis.

Interview Questions
    It started out with the interviewer asking a few HR questions about life at IIT and how IIT had helped mould myself. Following questions were based on my summer internship project and theory/practical application of heat exchangers. The interviewer was very encouraging throughout and didn't try to grill me. I fumbled a bit in certain questions but managed to answer them after a few hints by the interviewer.
    A major part of your technical interview would be on the theory behind the projects that you have undertaken. So make sure that you are thorough with the theory behind them.
    A basic knowledge of all courses that you have completed is expected and most of the questions are application based. So brushing up all your course would definitely help.

Interview Questions
      My HR in my opinion was pretty peaceful. It comprised of generic HR questions.
      Try framing a story around every question. For that expect what questions they might ask you and be ready with answers for them beforehand.
      Do some background research on the companies. Employers are generally pleased if you quote facts related to company you are interviewing for and it also shows that you have done you homework and that you are genuinely interested in the position they have to offer.

• Talking Ability
      • Ability To Convince
      • Ability To Express Your Ideas
      • Ability To Be Involved In Hands On Work
      • Ability To Analyse
      Be aware of the company you are applying to.

Make sure your subject basics are good.

Try to attend Mock GDs. It will help you practice and analyse your wea
      HUL has one of the most reputed internship programmes in the country. They treat their interns like any other employee and the projects they offer have a very high learning curve helping you to gain multiple skill sets in a short duration of time.

Anand MichaelFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at HUL
      Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview Other Interview

I don't know the criteria used by the company for the shortlist. But they didn't have a cg cutoff of any sort.

30 mins Minutes
      A company has a market share of 10% in the Utteranchal and Utter Pradesh market. They have doubled their profits in the last one year. They currently have a single production line and want to start a new one. Two technologies are available to them, current technology and a new one. The current technology costs them 50 lakhs. They have to hire 50 more people and they double their pruduction. The new technology costs four times the current one and triples their productivity. They have to find alternate employment for 25 of their current employs and their gross margin reduces from 25% to 24%. Which technology should they select? What factors do you need to take into consideration to arrive at a decision.
      We had % minutes to go through the topic and prepare. Then had 20 minutes to discuss and 5 minutes to conclude. We compared pros and cons of both the technology and came to a conclusion. We looked at the human factor of the problem where the livelihood of the people are affected vs the profits that company could make. We made the mistake of considering the company to be pretty young even though nothing like that was mentioned.
      Consider and stick to assumptions that can be made from the information given in a logical manner.

Interview Questions
        Asked me to run him through my resume. Once I mentioned about my internship, he asked me a question regarding the problems faced by pipelines since I had worked at a company that develops pipeline monitoring systems. Then we went on to discuss a refrigerant flowing through the pipelines in a factory. I have to make the flow more laminar to improve the heat removal rate. I told that reynolds number can be used to determine type of flow. Explained how each term in the reynolds number could be changed and finally came to the conclusion that the refrigerant liquid would need to be changed.
        They look at only your professional experiences or projects that you have done. So mention these first and be confident about every detail regarding them. Each person would be asked questions based on this and the subjects they have mentioned in their resume.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
          Asked about internship and explained about the mechanism I had designed. He gave me a problem statement and told me to make a design for it immediately without using any electronics or engines. Once I suggested a mechanism, He started reducing the items that I could use. Once I finally came to the design he had in mind with a little guidance from him. He handed me over to another interviewer who had been listening in on the phone. He asked me to tell me about through of my strengths and a weakness of mine as my favourite professor would tell me. And as a final question the main interviewer asked me whether I would choose ITC, HUL or P&G.
          Be confident and try to connect with the interviewer.

• Creative Thinking
          • Case Solving Ability
          • Areas Of Interest

• 64 HR Questions,
          • Basic Core Subject Courses,
          The internship sounded pretty interesting with all the facilities that they are willing to provide us. The stipend helps too.

Parth ShahFresherSelected
          Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at ITC
          Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview Technical Interview

This step is one of the most important steps in the process. Here, you have no say whatsoever. Your entire life written on one side of a page is what decides if you are eligible for the internship. I spent almost 6-7 hours everyday for a week to prepare my resume.
          Always get your resume reviewed by 3/4 seniors. Not only your immediate seniors, but also pass outs. This helps a lot since they have way more experience as compared to you in this aspect.

Moral Issues. A long problem statement was given describing the situation. We need to conclude by deciding as to who is to blame in the given situation.
          I had deep confidence in myself for clearing Group Discussion, since I felt I could talk my way through any situation. It is very important to talk to your group members beforehand. This helps in establishing a connect with others, making it easy for you to open up to them.
          Please turn off your phone, or at least turn it silent. During my GD, one guy's phone rang, and the room suddenly turned awkward. Talk freely. No need to look at the moderators. Have a normal discussion and speak your heart out, but do not dominate. Also, do not repeat points, and do not speak unless you have a valid point.

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Questions on Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics
          • Question 2: Describe your previous Intern
          • Question 3: Describe about your extra/co-curricular activities
          • Question 4: Why ITC?
          My interview was very relaxed. There were others who found it tough to answer questions asked in the interviews. Do revise the relevant courses before going for interview. ITC has a form named KITES, which you are supposed to fill while submitting your resume. Fill it properly, and go through it before going for resume.
          Be fluent in English, it helps more than you think. Do not lie about anything in your resume. They definitely ask you questions based on what you have written in your resume and KITES form.

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Describe about yourself
          • Question 2: Describe all the projects mentioned in your resume
          My second interview was very peaceful. I was just asked about my projects. I felt they were testing me on how involved I was with my previous projects.
          Feel relaxed if you have reached till here. You are a very possible candidate for the internship. Just be yourself!

• Heat Transfer
          • Fluid Mechanics
          • Thermodynamics
          Revise these courses before the internship process starts.

• '64 HR Questions,
          Be relaxed. If you are worthy, you shall get the internship. Discuss with your friends on how you will answer the HR questions.
          This is one of the few companies that come to IIT Madras on day 1 of internship drive. I talked to my seniors who interned at ITC. The way in which this company is different is that the work profile is a techno-managerial one, and a purely technical one. This lies in my interest.

Neil PendseFresherSelected
          Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at ITC
          Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Resume shortlist was on the basis of CGPA. A minimum criterion of 8.0 was observed. Though certain people with CGPA above 8.0 were not selected
          Try to include a good combination of PORs and Previous Interns or Projects

Plane crash survival
          We were given a list of 15 items which we had to arrange on the basis of the importance in the scenario of a plane crash survival. It was a good GD. I ended up starting and moderating the GD
          If you see that no one is taking initiative then try to moderate the GD or else try to add value addition points.

Interview Questions
            It wasn't exactly a technical interview but rather a mix of both HR and Tech. The panel asked me about my project, a few questions of thermodynamics and about my POR. I had asked the HR lady if I could interact with PR people in ITC since I wanted to see how professional PR people work. She was interested in the question.
            Try to remain calm. Ask questions related to your liking. Don't just ask a question for the sake of asking one.

Interview Questions
              It was again a mix of HR and Technical questions. They asked me about my project. They also asked me about fonts. What is 'serif' and 'sans-serif'. I also tried to drive the interview since the panel got bored with my project information. I asked them the same question as I had asked in the previous interview. Then afterwards they asked me if I was into communication. I told them about my new hobby of pen-freindship which they liked a lot.

• Positions Of Responsibility POR
              • Areas Of Interest
              • Course Grades
              • Core Courses Concepts
              • Speaking Skill
              Work harder on the generic HR questions like- Why you? ; Why ITC?; Why FMCG? I wasn't prepared and it was a bit painful.

Try to drive the interview where you want it to go. I was unable to do this too and it messed up with certain aspects of the interview.

Also try to be comfortable with the panel
              In the GD, instead of saying 'we can use a machete to kill animals' I blurted 'we can use a machete to kill people' :')

In the interview the panel asked to distinguish between serif and sans-serif. I wasn't expecting this at all.

HUL supply chain interview

Ujjawal RahangdaleFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Supply Chain role at HUL
              Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Its a form which takes in details both factual and personal in the form of anecdotes, essentially a very very concise description of your past experiences at work and how they connect with the qualities required at the job.
              Being genuine here will save from early elimination since there's a long way forward solely based on your answers.
              Never give any sort of location preferences when asked, if you are seriously interested!
              Touch all key areas in your profile never underestimate any one of them.

5+15 Minutes
              Technology selection for production Upgrade
              The GD group consisted of all familiar faces which helped in breaking the tension, although I didn't start/direct, I spoke about 3-4 points which I thought were important factors in decision making.
              A tiniest bit of unpredictability lies as always in case of GDs but ensure these-Quality of points put forward (matters more than the quantity)
              Show initiative to let others speak as well (Just in case)
              Never compromise with key moral conflict areas and don't presume or arrive at a conclusion earlier because it might so happen that you may end up defending yourself for the rest of GD hence not being able to put good points on board.

Interview Questions
                The best part of the process I believe because the controls are given to you the second PI begins which means every PI has a different story.
                Communication skills are of utmost importance.
                Know your projects and keep concepts at fingertips because a minute or two is what you get to convince the interviewer whether you actually know what you did.
                For a MechE student, Revise basics of key department subjects like Applied Thermo-Fluids (Pumps, Condensers, Cooling Towers, boilers, etc.)

Interview Questions
                  Every level is an elimination round with the trickiest one as last. This is taken by a very senior level manager with around 10 years of experience so he/she knows what he wants and grills everyone on those parameters (who you are as a person). I couldn't know then but when I came out, people told me it lasted for about an hour (50 minutes or so).
                  Expect tricky questions both basic technical and HR like -
                  What is the definition of fun for you? Why supply chain management? etc.
                  Hold yourself in a very composed manner and know when to stop and pull back in an interview.
                  Believing that you are the ideal candidate is the first step to convince someone else. Explore Why?

Thermodynamics Concepts, Mechanisms, and individual project related technical know-how.

• Power Plant Engineering BY P K Nag or any GATE/IES handbook.,

Sindhuja SFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for supply chain role at HUL
                    Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

You are CEO of the company.Decide whether you should go with the new technology or old technology considering the company's profit and employer's benefit.
                    Moderator was really good.He saw the moral aspect of the problem.I was the only person on moral side.
                    I also initiated and concluded the GD.
                    If everyone in the group contributed,to have strong say one should either give a great point ,lead the group,conclude/initiate the topic.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
                    • Question 2: Daily chemical engineering applications in your life
                    • Question 3: How pressure cooker works
                    • Question 4: how refrigeration cycle works
                    • Question 5: Question for the company
                    It was more a kind of conversation with him.He was impressed by moral values of helping people.
                    HUL respects people's value.It likes people who has social character.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
                    • Question 2: Tell me about your project
                    • Question 3: Tell me about your intern
                    • Question 4: question for the company
                    I explained my project and intern.They didn't question anything much on that.I spoke a lot for 3-4 mins about my project and intern.
                    Speak on terms what you know. Don't get struck with high technical words while speaking then they will drill you on that.

• Technical
                    • Managerial
                    Show yourself that your are good in various fields like sports,positions of responsibility etc.

• comprehensive approach:Chemical engineering by kripal S.Lakhi,
                    Speak confidently.

Show that you have nothing except for that company.

Speak on your moral values.
                    They respect individuals value.

One of the big Fmcg companies in India.
                    Mechanical students were asked about mac number and few other concepts.Students outside(including me) were memorizing all the numbers in the world before interview.Suddenly a HR came outside and saw that we are memorizing this and stopped asking questions on numbers:P.

Ayush SirothiaFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at ITC
                    Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview

The app I had to fill for ITC was really really very intensive. It took me quite some time to just come up with what I could write in my app.
                    But have patience while writing your app, be honest (however you can tone it up, but being within limits of genuineness). Write it preferably when you are relaxed and don't do it in a haste. It does really matter what you write in your app sometimes.

A logical real life case study.
                    My group overall was a very decent one. We performed well as a team. And almost everybody could and did speak really well.
                    I personally feel it doesn't matter much as to who begins or concludes a GD. Just that whenever you get to speak, be logical and make sense. Your contribution should help in driving the group towards a conclusion. Avoid redundant reiteration of points already been made and try to be systematic, as in have a proper plan that helps finish your discussion in time and speak it out loud if you have one.Speak or refute a person only when you have a solid point and be very very polite and considerate.

Interview Questions
                      Went very peacefully, without much stress, without any load, just went on talking in the flow and seemed to have got over in a flick.
                      Be smiling always. Even if you are nervous, don't let it be apparent, fake confidence. Believe me it really helps! Apart from that, be honest and more importantly be yourself. It's really as simple as that!

My first interview begins with the interviewer commenting on the way I was dressed and tells me that it was so impeccable and that he feels ashamed to sit in front of me. And then some more general and somewhat fun questions, just to make me feel comfortable.

Kanishk MehtaFresherSelected
                        Application
                        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at HUL
                        Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Filling the form on the HUL careers page was great as it eventually helped me in preparation for the non-technical questions asked in the interview
                        I think the four questions on the careers page should be given more importance

Discuss and decide if the company should expand it's production using new technology or continue with current one.
                        It was informative and fun.

Interview Questions
                          I was extremely happy by the way this interview was conducted as it wasn't testing of memory power (formulas or diagrams), rather the testing of my approach towards real life problems and how I would go about solving them, which is basically what one needs to do at any company

Interview Questions
                            This interview consisted of questions like, tell me about yourself, why HUL, why should HUL choose you, etc. which I believe are important questions and it's answers should be considered important by a company as it gives insight into a candidate's mind, character and plans for the future

• Heat Transfer
                            • Thermodynamics
                            • Fluid Mechanics
                            • Ability To Think On Your Feet
                            • Project
                            • Knowledge Gained Through Recent Research Project
                            • Approaching A Problem
                            • Technical Analysis
                            I would advice people not to prepare TOO MUCH in things which are not going to be helpful for them anywhere apart from the selection process. I would rather suggest them to concentrate on their everyday work (projects, academics, etc.) which is one of the major criteria of their selection, and just go along with the process.

Also another extremely important thing is believing in yourself and the things you have done as it will significantly add to your confidence during the interview. Also be truthful. Do not make up things or increase impact of your success than what it actually was
                            I want to become an industrialist, and HUL is one of the biggest which can offer me a lifetime experience. Also, their internship is extremely structured and their leadership program is amazing

Aman AgarwalFresherSelected
                            Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at HUL
                            Resume Shortlist Group Discussion

Learnt a lot about how to write resume. What to include what not to include also one thing one realises is that whatever you do in college will matter if you can present it nicely.
                            Write a neat resume.
                            See things are properly aligned
                            Do not write paragraphs write in points
                            Try to write everything in concise manner
                            state your achievements first

New vs Old Tech employment in industry
                            Learnt how being relaxed and confident is all that matters.
                            Be yourself,be polite and when you speak be confident.Try to speak interesting points and don't speak just for the sake of it.Speak less but bring out points that are actually great.

• Speaking Skill
                            • Technical Skill
                            • Slight Pressure handling
                            Just be calm during the interview and be yourself.
                            Write resume professionally, get it reviewed by someone.Do not write something on your resume which is not right as because of it you might not be able to stay calm and this can affect your interview.

In a GD no need to speak much just put nice points and portray a nice body language.

Finally just be yourself don't try to fake a different personality as that would just take away from your confidence.
                            Diverse fields that the company is involved in gives me a chance to grow and learn in all these fields.Chance to not only apply the engineering I have learn't till now but also grow both technical and interpersonal skills through the amazing mentorship programme.

Shaswat Mohanty FresherSelected
                            Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Supply Chain role at HUL
                            Technical Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: PID control system specifics to control flow rate and temperature of milk in the factory?
                            • Question 2: Difference in SI and CI Engine
                            • Question 3: Bearing material and the reason for such an use
                            The interview consisted of technical questions pertaining to subjects mentioned in the resume which added that extra element of comfort.
                            This was followed by an industrial problem which was open to numerous solutions and the only thing that probably mattered was the direction and quality of the design implementation. All in all it was an exciting experience with questions being fired from both sides.
                            This is a tip not just for technical but also for the HR round. Your resume consists of the highlights of your student life so ensure that you drive your interview towards your resume points so that you can quickly pick that up as an example. This will ensure that you leave a mark, having communicated your strength verbally, because you can do much more to elaborate on the significance of your achievements in the interview than you can in a one line description on your resume.

Case Study Interview