Summer Intern

Summer Intern Interview Questions and Tips

BCG summer intern internship interview

DhruvaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at BCG
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself.
There is a finance department with a car dealer. The other executives in the office question the use of finance department. Discuss.
Me: What are the current functions of finance department?
Interviewer: Normal operations of finance desks at a care dealer.
Me: So, they provide loan to customers
Interviewer: yes.
Me:Does other banks also have desks at the car dealer's showroom.
Interviewer: Yes, 5-6 other banks also sit there.
<e: What percentage of customers get loan from our finance department?
Interviewer: Around 10% or less than that.
Me: What are our loan rates like?
Interviewer: They are a little higher than other banks.
ME: Summarized the findings till now and stated the question that we need to explore.

Me: I would like to explore the fact that why would even 10% of people get their loans from the fin.Dept.
Interviewer: Ya, what can be the possible reasons?
Me: Maybe, they are not getting loans from other banks i.e. they are not that creditworthy.
Interviewer: yes, but why in that case a finance dept. bear the risk that a bank doesn't want to.
Me: Because, the finance dept. is internal to the car dealer, so they can charge higher rates and higher down payments. this can help finance dept. in reducing the risk of non-payment.
Interviewer: Ok, and what can be the other way in which an internal finance dept help the car dealer.
Me: The finance dept. can offer the customers to sell back their old car and buy new car again after 2-3 years and the finance dept will renew the loan.
Interviewer:Ok, why wouldn't a bank do that?
Me:Because banks lose their interest on the remaining loan. But an internal finance dept. can afford to lose some interest on the context of selling a new car and making profit on it.
interviewer: Fine.
Me: I would like to summarize the case once.
<summary of the case>
1. Listening is very important component of the case interview. Listen to clues well.
2. Summarizing the case, and data once or twice in between the case at times help, when you have lots of data and you feel that you may have lost your focus.
3. Summarizing at the end of case interview in very important.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about some problems you faced working in a team in your previous company.
A car service company is planning to open a huge service station which will service cars from all/major car companies.
Discuss the aspects that he should consider before opening such a station.
I started with one or two enquiries about the service station to gauge the scope of the case.
I came to know that we need to find out what cars will the station service, what are the services that we will offer etc.
I suggested that i will focus on one particular city and then start with the discussion. Interviewer was fine with it.
Key aspects that came out of the case:
1. Station should focus on few brands only which could help the station capture a hogh percentage of market
2.Station can offer three kind of services:
- Regular repair services: High volume, low profit
-Periodic car service : Mid volume, mid profit, regular customers
-Accidental services: low volume, high profit
I offered to provide last two services and forgo the first service.
Few more points were discussed related to a station in Delhi, where I talked about purchasing and driving patterns particular to Delhi and how few specialized services can help in generating more profit there.
Take some time and explore all possible options. A free and open mind is very important in a case interview.

Case Study Interview

A manufacturer produces 3 products A,B and C. He currently concentrates more on A. But, his financial manager says that he should concentrate on C. The revenue, profit, units sold, time taken to produce a unit A, B and C
Do not get bogged down by too much data. See what is important for you.

Case Study Interview

A telecom service operator incurs huge cost in communicating one-2-one with its customers. Help the firm in reducing its cost.
The firm may be communicating with its customers using three possible mediums:
-postal
-SMS
-Service calls
<It looked obvious that costliest medium was Postal medium, because SMS and service calls are internal to the company, and it may not be incurring huge costs in communicating using it sown network. I decided to focus on postal first>

Focusing on Postal:
Postal billing is affected by few factors, such as:
-Distance of communication
-Frequency of communication
-Number of customers to communicate with
Distance of communication
After few questions, we came to know that the company sends all letters from a central hub. So distance can be reduced by sending the bills from each city office. A printing setup can be established in each city office and bills can be dispatched locally.
Frequency of communication
We can explore the option of not sending the bills each month. But, in that case customers won't be paying their bills also each month.
Suppose cost of a post in Rs 10.
@12% annual interest rate, for a bill of amount less than 500 Rs, interest lost for two months will be less than rs 10.
Therefore, for bills less than 500 amount, bills can be sent once in two months.
Number of customers
Customers can be asked for an option if they actually want paper bill or not.
But this option was rejected by interviewer on account that ideally all customers will want a paper bill.
The interviewer also agreed about the assumption that cost of sms or calls won't be that significant.
I didn't come up with interest rate and loss of interest rate and loss of interest concept on my own.
I thought about it but rejected it thinking that it may be out of scope of the case. But then the interviewer had to give me direct hints about this. Do not reject any idea on your own. Discuss it with interviewer and give him the option of rejecting or exploring it further. They would like to see the breadth of your thinking. So, any 'out of the box' idea can actually help during the interview.

McKinsey summer intern interview

Srinath NagarajanExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Summer Intern role at McKinsey
HR Interview Problem Statement Problem Statement

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Tell me what you did in CRISIL
  • Question 3: How would you go about Rating a Company, lets say Bharti Airtel
Had a 1 minute intro prepared highlighting specific aspects about myself that I wanted to bring to his notice.
I explained that I was engaged in assigning Credit Ratings to Corporates under Basel II Regulations.
Because it was Bharti Airtel I had to give an answer tailored to what the approach would be for a Telecom company would be. While answering I was conscious of 2 things –One, that I have a clear structure to my answers and Two, tried to keep it as simple and jargon free as possible.

Problem Statement

Preliminary questions -We all know Bharti Airtel and the services it offered quite well –So there was no need to ask preliminary questions. Also, since I wasn’t aware that I was doing a case I did not have the opportunity to ask preliminary questions.Structure: The Structure that I used was fairly simple –Increase in Revenues can in Existing markets or through expansion in new markets. I explored the existing markets first. Here increase in revenues could occur through increased market penetration, increased usage of basic services among current users or increased usage of Value added services among existing customers. He asked me a couple of questions on how these things can be done and I gave him some off the cuff answers. For the New markets, I suggested that the company could look at inorganic expansion through acquisitions or through establishment of Greenfield operations in new markets with high market potential.The entire case was more like an informal chat. There were a few follow up questions on some of the options I had generated. The case did not last very long –about 10 minutes at the max.
Know your Resume well. At no point in the interview should you ramble on. All answers must be natural (ie, must not appear rehearsed), brief, structured and to the point. Retaining composure through the interview is critical. Mistakes may happen during the interview,but it is important to pick youup and keep at it. People rarely have perfect interviews where everything has gone right and interviewers don’t expect it either.

Preliminaryquestions –
Since it was Tata Nano, lot of the background questions were not required. I clarified whether the problem was a lack of bookings that they received. He agreed.
Structure:
The Structure that I used was not the best but it did get me to the problem. I started off by saying the lack of bookings could be on account of 3 reasons –One, a lack ofawareness of the product among the target customers (Marketing problem), Two, Being aware of the product but not being able to place a booking (Distribution problem) or a Three, being aware of the product yet not interested in the product (I called this the product problem). He asked me to ignore the first 2 (he did not seem highly impressed) and explore the 3rdthe product problem.Here I again broke it upin to 2 further branches –Problems that the Car has by itself (Internal factors) and problems in the external environment mainly competition, etc. I deep delved in to the Internal factors. Of the internal problems I mentioned, he agreed that the negative publicity from the steering wheel catching fire was an issue and comfort factor was another issue. As and when he acknowledged a problem, I made a separate note of it. Eventually when he asked me to explore the external factors, I used these points to do a quick summary of the key takeaways up to that point In the external problem, I divided it into competition from other cars and two wheelers. I asked a few questions here trying to pick up a clue or 2 of how to proceed from there but he just refused to shell out any information. At this point he also took out his Blackberry and acted uncooperative. I went on to analyse for myself that given that the price of the next cheapest car was over a lakh higher than this car the issue lay more with the 2 wheelers. I went on to list factors why people would prefer 2 wheelers to a Tata Nano. Of the factors I listed, he acknowledged that the high running costs and availability of easy financing options seemed like the distinguishing factors. He said I seemed to havearrived at the problem,He now asked me to tell me how he could provide financing options for the Nano. This I felt was like a guess estimate problem. I said I would work backward to solve the problem. This is how I solved it –I said the average Nano target customer would earn Rs 10000 per month (he had given me that number in an earlier discussion, he liked the fact that I had noted it down and was using it again) I said, given the average savings rate of the country is at 35%-40% (this is from the RBI website I think). That meant a saving of about Rs 4,000 per month. No one would be comfortable giving up their entire saving, so if we considered 50% of this, the customer will be willing to pay an EMI of 2000 per month. The company would want to complete the financing within a period of 4 years cause after that the car may be worthless in case of repossession. So this meant roughly a down payment of 20,000 followed by 4 years of EMI of 2000 pm approximately (I took his approval on all of the numbers I used, so he was comfortable with this number). Summary: I began to summarize all my recommendations to that point but he stopped me saying that I didn't have to absolutely nail the case.
The most important thing to nail a consult interview is composure and confidence. With this in place, half the job is done. In all HR answers it is important to show genuineness. No answer must come across as fabricated.

CapitalOne summer intern internship interview

Ashwin SinghFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Summer Intern role at CapitalOne
Test Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

• Section 1: DATA INTERPRETATION TEST
Capital one usually conducts a data interpretation test to shortlist students for interviews.
This test also has some weightage in the final selections as it is a metric to judge your
speed and accuracy of calculations. There are 30 questions in 35 minutes so the strategy to crack
it is not to get stuck on confusing questions and maintain a good speed/accuracy balance.
50 students were shortlisted for interviews from among 160 who gave the test and the
cutoff must have been around 22 or 23 out of 30.
CAT questions help.
Know a bit about inflation.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A short quantitative case on the profitability of a bank
I was asked about a bank which borrows at 6% and lends at 10% to one class
of debtors and 20% to a riskier class. I had to determine the profitability of the
bank given a common dollar loss rate and average loan size. This was an easier
case and involved basic common sense to get to the final answer.
-Don't make errors in calculations
-Keep on communicating with the interviewer even if you get stuck.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Long quantitative case based on the economics of a breakfast chain with falling sales
I was first asked which factors might have led to the falling sales, for
which I gave around 6-7 possible reasons.
Then he gave me a lot of data about the breakfast chain and two possible
decisions the breakfast chain could make. I had to determine the viability
by analyzing the data given.
-Again be accurate in your calculations. Even a small mistake can lead to a wrong final conclusion.
-Imagine the company given and all possible sources it can derive revenues from.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Analysis of the profitability of credit card companies
I was introduced to the concept of transactors and revolvers
and given some basic information about their spending habit.
This was followed with an analysis of the profits to the credit card
company due to these two classes of credit card holders.
It is a bit confusing if you don't know how exactly credit card companies
earn money and what the cost of funds are for transactors.
-Know the terms used by credit card companies like interchange rate, cost of funds, dollar loss rate before your Capital One interview. Also know the sources of revenue of credit card companies.
Strong in analytics. Great work culture and perks.

Rajat KashyapFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at McKinsey

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Take me through your CV.
  • Question 2: Why consulting?
  • Question 3: Why McK?
I believe that Pankaj was asking the same case from everyone. There are three wine manufacturer had three products of wine A,B AND C with 40%, 30% and 30% market share. A had three products.
According to me, the first interview is the most important for making to the second round. In case you screw your first interview, chances of making to the second round become very less. Try to connect with the interviewer and do not make any silly mistakes. A great performance is not compulsory but do not try to screw anything.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself.
  • Question 2: How does McK come in what you want to do.
The case was a very short one. He told me that I was a consultant for a hospital which is concerned with its lower revenue in cardiac operations. The number of doctors, facilities and charges were all same. The key was to identify the operation run time and activities that can be done outside the operation theatre.
Try to figure out everything that can affect a particular situation/scenario.
They might not be the things being looked by the interviewer, but it shows the breadth of your knowledge to him.

Case Study Interview

The interviewer gave me details of two companies and asked me the difference in their valuation by two methods and the reason behind that. Then he asked to choose one company in which I would invest as an Industry player and as a PE investor. I was a bit intimidated in the beginning when he was giving me the financials for the two companies and tool some time to get back from the state of shock. The key aspect was identifying the difference in motives for an investor and an industry player. I was able to convey that to him He was okay with the case response and told me so. He helped at one point in identifying one of the differences in the valuations by two methods.
The second case was a logical puzzle which was asked to many. The puzzle was that I and my friend have lost their wallets. I had 1000 rs in the wallet and I am unaware about the amount in my friend's wallet. A person finds both and asks to bid for both the wallets. What maximum bid should I make?
I was able to solve the puzzle with a little help from him. He complemented me for the same.
Maintain your calm. There might be cases where you need to do a lot of calculations. Knowledge about financials definitely helps.

Raghu GorthiFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at McKinsey
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Most significant acheivement in life
  • Question 2: Why consulting?
A successful man wants to open a restaurant in a downtown of a metro. What should be his strategy and how should he estimate his resources?
I started by clarifying the successful part and what does the interviewer mean by resources, I was told that the successful part was to block my analysis along cost part and the resources was limited to number of chairs and tables. After I told about how he might choose the demographics of the downtown area and how he should choose the type of restaurant, the interviewer said to take the restaurant to cater lunch to office goers and is of Italian type.
My numeric analyses started with a clarified assumption that Italian restaurants are expensive and are visited by rich executives on an occasional lunch basis. Then came the assumption to numbers and division to to age group., income group, gender etc and arrived at a decent number which was ok to the interviewer.
The interviewer wants to look at how we were choosing each step. So think aloud and take it slow because they never urge you to take it fast and you don't have to either.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: One point that I would want to point out as my biggest highlight from my CV
  • Question 2: couple of other CV related questions.
Estimate the number of treadmills in Delhi.
I started along the traditional path of diving the population into families and families into rich and poor. And then rich families with health conscious people.
2nd part was about number of gyms and other health centres where treadmill might be there. Here the analysis was in terms of number of gyms and avg number of treadmills in each gym.

An analytical question: A person loses his purse with 1000 bucks in it and there is a second person who also loses his purse with unknown amount in it. A third person finds the purses and asks both of them to bid alternately and whoever bids the highest wins both the purses. If you are that first person who lost purse with 1000 bucks in it, how much would be your highest bid?
I was confused with the question because I thought it was a onetime bid and told him that we cannot find the answer. He found out why I was saying that and told that the bid continues till one of them stops. From here on I took some time to arrive at the solution but it needed decent bit of help. The answer is 2000 because that will take the first person to at least the same state as he was without his pursei.e 1000
There is nothing wrong in asking for help and in fact it is very well appreciated in most of the cases. But avoid overdoing it.

Anuj LakhotiaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at McKinsey

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What did you do in your internship?
  • Question 2: How will you do valuation for a bank? What ratios will you use and why?
  • Question 3: Puzzle: You have lost your wallet containing 500 rupees. There is a similar wallet with an unknown amount of money. You have to bid highest amongst many bidders to get the money in both wallets. What would be your bid?
Case: Estimate the demand for treadmills in India. You can assume that there is only one variety of treadmill costing 20k.
guestimates have some standard ways to proceed and are easily crackable.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about your work experience
  • Question 2: Why did you leave IIM offer for work 2 years back.
  • Question 3: Anything you would like to ask us.
-A PE firm wants to evaluate an opportunity for online DVD rental market in India. Advise them. I looked at all possible dimensions, took care of issues like privacy, demand drivers, possible business model, segmented the customers, estimated annual sales and costs. Told that returns would be much lesser than what a PE firm demands on an investment.

- The sales cost/ acquisition of a certain credit card sales company has suddenly increased. The number of conversations per employee though remains the same. What can be the possible reasons. Gave a broad set of possibilities like inflation, market saturation, new product arrival, competition etc. Divided into fixed and variable costs and indicated that employee cost would have increased in variable cost.
Be confident, take your time and try to gauge the problem correctly before giving answers.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How has been the day?
  • Question 2: Anything you would like to ask us?
SBI has 150 branches and ICICI has 50 in Mumbai. The home loan sales for the two are though 50 cr and 150 cr respectively. What are the possible reasons.
Initially checked whether there was a real problem for SBI by identifying no. of employees in the home loan department for both, company focus and years since in the market.
Identified the following reasons:
1. Marketing effort by ICICI
2. Word of mouth approach to home loans
3. Tie ups with Real estate guys
4. Lower home loan rates; less diligence
5. Customer friendly staff; Possible use of technology
6. Consumer profile incline towards private banking
7. Other VAS provided by ICICI.

Naveen ChelukaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at McKinsey

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why consultant?
  • Question 2: why MBA?
The case was about declining profitability of an Italian restaurant in New Delhi. Looked like a plain vanilla profitability case to me. I did the clarification part and gave him the standard cost vs revenue profit model as my structure. He said the structure was ok and asked me to continue, I launched into the analysis only to be stumped just 2 minutes later.
The restaurant was not losing revenue and costs were the same. I asked him three times to confirm this. I took time out and decided this structure would get me nowhere. Flipped a page and started on 4Ps ... Product being first. Asked him about the items sold and then the price of these items. He went one step ahead and gave me profitability figures. Apparently alcohol had more profitability than pasta and meats.
I asked if the product mix had changed over the last 2 years when profits had declined. The look on his face told me the case was over. However, he followed it up with an interesting question about why this may have happened/ I gave him two good reasons that were to do with outside environment, regulation of alcohol and some such thing.
He asked me to take some time to think that the owner of the restaurant may have done which made this happen. I took the customary one-minute and came up with the idea that probably the owner had tried to increase turnover, By improving service time and that the consumers all consumed alcohol while they waited for the main course.
practise hard. Also make sure you are thinking about the case in the interview and are not thinking about how the interview is proceeding.

Case Study Interview

Investment decision with limited budget about the creche business in chennai. Guesstimate about numbers of creches that can be opened in Chennai.
When faced with friendly interviewer you can afford to relax a bit but do not let your guard down quickly.

Case Study Interview

Case was about a bank.. big bank in India. Wanted to tap rural market. After initial clarification and structure building I identified correctly the areas where the bankk had to apply effort to gain market share. Was stopped before getting in depth.
Structure your cases properly.

BCG summer intern interview

Aman BhatnagarExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Summer Intern role at BCG
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Client is a life insurance agency in Sri Lanka facing declining market share
Case analysis:
Market leader, no.2 and no. 3 growing in dominance, Market growing, they didn't release a particular policy, don’t give enough incentives to their agents which other firms are capitalizing on,
Structure:
Broke it down into their business structure, understood how they operate, tried to find loopholes in each step
Summary:
Was asked to stop after explaining the approach and asking two or three questions, BCG vs McKinsey took over, spirited discussion regarding pros, cons and discussion I had with Gautam Kumra at McK, after debates and stressing the people point, we called it a day.
Take hints, explain approach.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Leading cement manufacturer is facing declining profits; prices have halved in the last few months and facing decreasing prices further as well. Suggest emergency measures for next few weeks.
Case analysis:
Spoke about the business, market, the competition and how everyone else was coping. Talked about how the business worked; distribution and sales network, retailers and incentives and breakup in terms of branded, unbranded cement. Twist in the case, BCG says increase prices; profits fall by 12% more and take a hit. Now what?
Structure:
Value chain + market scenario, focused on issues like rising costs, raw material sourcing, manufacturing difficulties, expansion possibilities but were discounted. Went on to retailers and distribution and his eyes lit up, literally. Focused on region wise distribution, why there were discrepancies in individual dealers selling different quantities given same consumption patterns, focused on price prediction patterns and inventory holding practices by different retailers
Summary:
Was stopped after this, talked about BCG, consulting as a career and how the partner found his calling, how BCG contributes in making realchange in the world.

BCG summer intern internship interview

Aditi GargFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Summer Intern role at BCG

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself.
There is a shoemaking company in France. Involved in making casual shoes and safety shoes for industries. It wants to expand its market in terms of geography. The durability, costs, profits, demand of both the product segments is different. Estimate the market demand for its products in the new geography and avise in which segment it should enter.
Seek as much clarifications during the initial phase of the interview. Keep a time check.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Which city do you belong to?
  • Question 2: is it the first time I am staying away from home?
  • Question 3: Interests?
Case1: A manufacturing co. produces 3 products: A, B and C. Cost of production of each is Rs.20. The SP of A-Rs60 B=Rs80 and C- Rs 100. The company produces same amount of all the three products. In order to earn more profits, the CEO of the company feels that the company should concentrate on producing c while CA says that they should go for A. Can you help the CEO?
Write whatever data is given properly and examine whether it is required for the case or not.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain in brief about your job profile.
A car service company is planning to open a huge service station which will service cars from all the brands?
Discuss the aspects that he should consider before opening such a station.

I explored all issues like classification of cars into sedan, hatchback and heavy vehicles. Considered aspects of frequency of servicing based on usage, service requirement, maintenance, price per serving, location etc.

KPMG summer intern interview

Abhishek Mani TripathiExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Summer Intern role at KPMG
Problem Statement Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: I proposed that since machinery has not been replaced since years, quality of products has degraded. Secondly, competitors have reduced their prices by outsourcing it to countries like China.
  • Question 2: Analyse it by separating life insurance, general insurance and fire and damage insurance. Give inputs on mode of delivery (online mode is not very feasible in Indian scenario). Also, take into account role of brokers and agents in case of fire and damage insurance.
I was able to provide solutions to first 2 cases and the interviewers looked satisfied but couldn’t do well in third case. Was not able to provide a good solution to third case