Strategy and Operations Consultant

Strategy and Operations Consultant Interview Questions and Tips

Kamesh MullapudiExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Personal Contacts for Strategy and Operations Consultant role at Deloitte
Other Interview Case Study Interview PRESENTATION

Other Interview

Started off with Kamesh asking me to walk through my profile. I clarified whether he wanted to know about only those things mentioned on my resume. He said whatever makes this whole thing interesting. I spoke about all those things which weren’t there on my resume, things like background, hobbies and about what made me opt for MBA.

He then asked me about my work-the two companies I worked with. It revolved around what were my
responsibilities and what was my learning at each stint. Why I switched from Consulting to a PMO etc. It then went to my Autumns Project and Foreign internship.

Prior to me some of the students were asked to solve a guesstimate. He asked me whether I attended the case Workshop by Deloitte. I said I could not attend it. (Actually my shortlist came only at late night; before the interview day – but I didn’t explicitly mention this). He asked about how I went about guesstimate and case preparation. I saw this as an opportunity to take this interview towards something I really wanted highlight and which could be a differentiator. I mentioned that apart from doing the regular guesstimates, cases etc. and forming Consulting Interest Groups – as I lacked any industry background decided to study an industry – “Telecom” – right from how
it works, value chain, players, competition, M&As, regulations etc. and this recently culminated in a research paper that I co-authored.

Kamesh got interested here (being from TMT background) – and this gave me a chance to describe the research paper in detail. I think this was a real differentiator. And I probably got away from solving a guesstimate.

It ended with me asking a good question, which I feel impressed Kamesh as it made him reveal an internal statistic to answer it.
1. Good speaking skills.
2. Confidence.
3. Be articulate and crisp about your work experience and proects.
4. Well rounded CV – be thorough with every point at least 5 levels deep (i.e. prepared to face 5 levels of follow up questions).
5. Case/Guesstimate Preparation – Form a consult group – (4-6 members), 2 months of effort including 30+ different cases and ~40 guesstimates.
6.Ask intelligent questions to the interviewer. Well researched. Go through your interviewer’s profile if possible.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Our client is a U.S Healthcare Insurance company providing innovative solutions for individuals, employees and corporate. It has a 20% market share. The Healthcare insurance market has top 4-5 players controlling 80% of the market (including our client). As the market is stagnating in US, What should they do?
I first looked at exploring all opportunities within US. I visualized the Ansoff matrix (again did not explicitly mention I was using a framework; as I don’t think it’s a good idea to state frameworks during interviews unless asked to do so).

1. Market Penetration-Ruled out because market was saturated.
2. Market Development-Possible
3. Product Development-Sushant mentioned the client is not keen on going outside healthcare insurance.
4. Diversification -As new product development was ruled out; it was only going to be market development.

I then asked; whether the client has pan US presence, they said “Yes”. Now it was clear they had to go outside US.
They asked me what would be the considerations for the client to go abroad:
My response:
1) Country’s insurance sector
a. Operating Model and Value Chain-: Whether it is developed or not. As in, India till some time was still relying on the agent model where the agent commission was a significant cost head. Since US is a developed country, it was more likely for them to have very high reliance on the online model (which has come to India only recently, with the likes of Policy Bazaar and company websites). Does it sync well
with the client’s model.
If the companies in host country own or outsource distribution, and how is it different from the client’s current presence in insurance value chain.
b. Healthcare expenditure: Spend on healthcare and insurance as % of total expenditure.
c. Market Size and Growth of sector
d. Competition
e. Regulations – (extent of FDI allowed, modes of entry allowed etc.)

2) Target country’s development metrics
a. Per capita income
b. Ease of Doing Business

2. After having a small discussion about some of the headers above, they seemed satisfied with the response and handed over the second data sheet: This sheet had 4 tables; comparing 6 countries on various parameters. They gave me 2 minutes to go through the table and
make decision which country would I choose and Why?

Now they asked me to look at some of the entry modes and the considerations for each entry mode.

My response:
Entry Modes- As it was a service (Insurance); I obviously ruled out exports. Licensing and franchisee modes were also ruled out with due reasoning considering client’s business model. We were left with JV, Brownfield or Greenfield.
I laid out the following considerations for the mode of entry:
Initial Investment and Returns, Time to market, Risk Appetite, Regulatory barriers, Impact on brand and Complexity involved

I asked them that which was the most important aspect for our client – and they said time to market was key. This made me recommend
brownfield (acquisition of an existing player in Australia).
They then handed me over the 3rd data sheet. Which had data on companies in Australia. This gave me some confidence, as my first decision was right to go with Australia.
As closing remarks – I added that the client would have to work on post integration issues like culture and explore synergies which were not available as part of data provided.
The analysis given the time frame was quite comprehensive. I guess my preparation – Consulting Interest Group (4 members including me) – where we practiced more than 20-25 different case types, over 30 guesstimates and sector study helped big time. The case practice helped me state most of the considerations/headers without much effort.

PRESENTATION

This was just a presentation of the case in the 2nd round Was pretty straight forward – it was about stating the client’s problem statement, scope of work, assumptions, and logical steps towards the entry strategy (and a miniM&A) backed by rationale. The usual structure that we follow for Corporate competition presentations like TBLA,TSMG.

I had prepared slides on a piece of paper as I had got close to 45 minutes before this round. But while presenting I was told not use the whiteboard and not to refer notes. So it was more of a 10 min presentation where the panel continuously interrupted and even started discussions on random topics. But I tried to bring back the discussion on the entry strategy case each time.
1. Be patient and focussed.
2. Be calm.

Akshay ShardaExperiencedSelected
Other Interview Case Study Interview Group Activity

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself in 5 minutes?
  • Question 2: Number of tennis balls in the room?
  • Question 3: Number of Medium size industries in Mumbai?
Started the interview on a very informal note. Since I come from a Marwari background, the interviewer asked questions about my background. After a very brief introduction, he asked me my internship experience.
1. Be confident.
2. Always have a calm mind and when under pressure do stay calm.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A Telecommunication giant has been mandated by the Indonesia government to provide internet services to all the residents of the country. The company is already a player in the market, providing other services like. You as a Deloitte consultant are hired by the company. How will you proceed?
The moment I entered the hall, was surprised to see that the panel had 3 members. Anyways, they gave their brief introductions and made me feel comfortable. And then he gave me a brief of the round. He read the entire case and told me to take down the notes.
I went through the case once again thoroughly and asked the interviewer for 2 mins to structure my thought.
After 2 mins, I started with my approach, stating that – Since the company already has a presence and wants to further penetrate the market/ mandate to expand in the market, I would like to give it a market penetration structure to it.
Then classified the various heads under which I will looked:
a) Market Size
b) Market competitor – Here he asked me why, would you look at competitor since you have already been mandated by the govt. For which I replied – This has to be done in order to gauge the services that have to be provided. And also if there can be any sharing of infrastructure with them. The customers will demand either equal or better services than the present one.
c) Legal issues: Here again, he said since it has been mandated, do you think this is something you should look into. I said, yes that may be a fair point, but still we ought to look at it because, looking at the Indian analogy, where there are licensing issues, circle sharing issues issued by the government. So assuming similar issues, may be there in Indonesia too, it should not be ignored.
d) Technology/infrastructure:
e) Geographical contours of Indonesia.

Then the interviewer asked me to concentrate on the last two issues.
I proceeded by saying that these are the basic services already provided, I would first like to know how is the infrastructure laid down already in the country. Can you provide me some details for the same?
Interviewer handed over 6 data sheets to me.
At the initial looks of it I was a bit awestruck and did not know where to start from. It had various different sheets Geographical/ Consumer preference/ Cost sheets for various technologies (3G, Fiber, and Satellite)/ Frequency Bandwidth distributions/ Density population of various regions in Indonesia.

After 5 minutes, I said that I would like to look at this case under 2 heads, from a customer’s point of view and company’s point of
view.
Then the interviewer asked me not to focus on the customer's point of view as adoption of the services is not an issue but only adaptability of the technology.
So that helped me focus my thoughts on certain specific sheets – Geographical/ Technology and Density population.
First based on the geographical contours of Indonesia there are some regions which are Volcanic eruptions prone, and which are not I would like to divide them into rural and urban.
The interviewer asked me about my basis of dividing them into rural and urban. I told him that they are based on the income levels at specific regions and the population density.

So the regions which are prone to volcanic eruptions, we would like to set up Satellite connection for there is no way of setting up of 3G and Fiber in those locations.
And in the locations which are highly urbanized, I am assuming that there is huge population density of offices and hence they
will require good connection for business continuity and reliable services.
Then the interviewer mentioned his concern about cost of setting as its high in that region. I responded by saying that the revenue generated out of it is also high, depending on the density population (number of households – given) this will be the set up cost and hence will be able to break even by x years (I calculated this – based on the info given in the case).

For rural locations, since they require only bare minimum connection services, we will provide them 3G services.
Then the interviewer asked me if that is the only basis of my decision?
I sked the interviewer for another 2 minutes to come up with other decision factors to decide.
After 2 mins I told him that for rural locations, we have 2 options either setting up satellite connections or 3G services.
Looking at the cost aspect of it, we can divide into 2 headings-Capex and Opex cost.
Capex vertical – Setting up Satellite connection sounds more beneficial.
Opex Cost – Considering a year’s time line, the cost of acquisition and maintenance charges are more for satellite connection when compared to 3G services.

So for the overall cost, even though the initial investment for Satellite services is less, on a long term 3G services comes out to be more beneficial.
1. There will be situations where they are trying to test, what different perspective one can bring to arrive at the same solution.
2. Sometimes the answer lies in common sense and not what is mentioned in the case.

Group Activity

Partner Round Unlike earlier years, this time, we had to pitch the solution we presented in the case round. So for the presentation structured it under 3 headings: Context/Problems and Solution. In the 5 minute presentation they (Interviewer 1: Played the role of the company CEO, Interviewer 2: Played the role of Deloitte CEO) asked several questions and the basis for it. Here they were being too strict (purposefully – as mentioned by themselves) and were just trying to judge your witty reactions to certain situations they put one it (happened during the interview) and also the confidence one shows when under pressure. Interviewer: That was good, do you have any questions for us.

Anop Yogesh ValimbeExperiencedSelected
HR Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Which part of TS&A would you like to join? -(IT Strategy, Cloud Advisory etc)
  • Question 2: Tell me about a new technology you are fascinated with and how will the new technology can be used by the Insurance Industry? (Insurance being my domain of expertise)
  • Question 3: You are an Accenture person, why do you think you will be a good fit into the Deloitte culture? (I had worked only with Accenture for 6 years)
  • Question 4: Why do you think you will be a great consultant?
Know everything about your work experience. In depth knowledge of the domain will be central to the discussion, as the questions would be framed for that particular industry and the interviewer will be an expert on the industry. Read and understand the business implications of a new upcoming technology to give you an edge over other applicants. For me it was Big Data Solution -Hadoop. In all my interviews I explained the interviewer about howHadoop can save costs for Insurance clients and bring in more business
clarity of thought and expressing it are very important Your ability to handle difficult questions was being tested

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A big multinational computer($8 billion)hardware and software services company is planning to de-merge its business into two units -hardware business and software services / consulting business. After the de-merger both the units will have equal revenues of $4 billion. What will be the strategy for the division of IT systems? Three questions:1.What will be the Strategy for Applications? The firm has 3K applications.2.What is the Strategy for Data Centers? The firm has 4 data centers.3.What is the Testing Strategyto test the systems post de-merger? Testing phases and timeline for all the phases from Jan -Oct. De-merger in Nov.
Repeat and verify all the details given by the interviewer before asking any question.All the data was written on the white board and the interviewer asked me to focus only on the three questions mentioned above. It was a discussion about a problem rather than a typical case per se. The interviewer also asked me not write anything down and think about all the possible issues that had to be taken into account while coming up with a strategy
n my experience, focus on what role you really want and in which company, definitely pays off. Before joining ISB I was sure I wanted to work in Tech Consulting and Deloitte is the gold standard for Tech Consulting so I applied to very few companies and to roles which I really wanted to work in. Do not apply to all the companies who will posts jobs. Apply to few companies but prepare well for them. Few of my friends had 6-7 shortlists on Day1 and still could not get a single offer whereas I had only 1 shortlist of Deloitte on Day 1 and I got the offer. The point being, do not count how many shortlists you have, as in the end you'll only need one offer and one shortlist is enough to get you an offer.Do read all the past experiences of alums present in the previous year's case books -specially the one written by Sawan Kumar in Class of 2013 Consulting Case Book. It's very well written.At last, play to your strengths and apply to roles which genuinely interest you and not because everyone else is applying. Many folks from Deloitte take out time to visit ISB to take sessions and interact with students, do attend all the sessions and also the ppt and the party Deloitte throws after the ppt. These are the moments when you can interact freely with very senior people from Deloitte and it definitely helps during the interview as they are the ones who visit campus later on Day 1
Do not prepare too much for the case interview. Over preparation does not help instead confuses you. The case would be related to some kind of technology strategy for a firm. It is totally different than the management consulting cases which Deloitte S&O, McKinsey and BCG will ask students but yes practicing a few management consulting cases would definitely help.The preparation for TS&A tech case interview is very different. Deloitte's website is the best source of preparation as there are 4-5 sample cases there. In addition, Deloitte conducteda case interview workshop for TS&A shortlists, which was very good so do not miss the workshop. Structured approach to solving the case would help but do prepare a lot for the PI also. My 1st interview was heavy on PI and also very heavy on my work experience.

Have an ace up your sleeve by knowing something about a new technology about which you can talk at length and actually end up having a great conversation with the interviewers. Focus on the people, process and technology framework for the case. Write down all the possible technology factors which affect companies and/or are expensive to the companies and then put them into one of the three buckets of people, process and technology.

CharuSinghalExperiencedSelected
HR Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why not investment banking?
  • Question 2: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 3: Why consulting?

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Estimate the number of garbage trucks in Hyderabad
I started with the area of Hyderabad ~600km2. I made assumptions with respect to the area an average garbage truck could cover. Normally garbage trucks collect garbage from across the place and then go to the dumping ground and dump the garbage and then they may make another trip. Let’s say an average garbage truck works for about 8-9 hours and makes 2 trips in a day. And in one trip it can cover 2 km2, and then based on 2 trips a day, it should cover 4 km2. So approximately 150 trucks for households.The interviewer hinted to me that the number seems to be quite less and asked me to try again with some other approach. This time I started with the number of households. So Hyderabad has a population of 4mn and with 4 people per households, we have ~1mn households. Now these households are mostly spread in the form of apartments/ localities, comprising of ~100 Households per locality, giving me 10000 localities. It would take ~1 hour per locality, so an average truck considering it has to dump the garbage as well, should cover maximum 6/7 localities in a day. So there should be ~1500 garbage trucks serving Hyderabad households.The interviewer then questioned me about other factors which would determine the number of trucks. I listed down a few factors like: concentration of households in different areas, location of corporates especially hotels and restaurants, festive or marriage seasons, and distance or proximity to the dumping grounds. Distance was the factor he was mainly looking for.
The interviewer was concentrating more on the approach I was using, rather than the exact numbers. Also, he was looking at how I can think about other factors which could alter the result of guesstimate

Rameshwar SreenivasanExperiencedSelected

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: An auto after sales company is not doing well. It has been found that their supply chain solution might not be very effective. They are considering 2 more options in redesigning their supply chain. Should they change their SC or not?
The interviewer gave me the question and asked me to take a couple of minutes and asked me to write down the various factors that I should consider. I broadly asked about the existing supply chain details, various cost details, customer details.I made 3columns in the sheet of paper that was given to me . I wrote down the 3 categories and started listing down factors. After I asked him about the cost details and questions about the existing supply chain (How many distribution centers, distance to dealersfrom DC/facility etc. etc.), I was handed a sheet with all the information.
The ultimate game was to figure out which supply chain option led to the highest profits. The way to go was to figure out costs and revenues for each optionand recommend one. 1. Be very structured. I was informed that what you write on the paper, how you write are looked at by the recruiter.2. Don't ask all the questions at a stretch. Give the big picture of what you are trying to do and then list down howyou plan to do and then start asking questions.3. Be prepared for some number crunching. Nothing tough but basic quantitative analysis will be needed. You will be expected to be good with arithmetic

Abhimanyu ShirwalkarExperiencedSelected

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A healthcare company has multiple geographies to pick from to expand. Using data on market size, cost, revenue estimates etc. make a recommendation
Case brief was given and first question was what information is needed to get started. Important to justify why you need the information and how you plan to use itAvailable data was shared and question was what approach I would take (i.e. profitability can be based on % or absolute numbers)Post calculations, I had to make a recommendation
Do the profitability framework (found in all case books) but what will set you apart are the following-1.Mention both % and absolute ways of doing profitability (I started with absolute and on cue from interviewers also did %)2.Do calculations smartly and correctly; double check your values before making recommendation3.Leverage qualitative information (ex: if your numbers are similar for profit % for India and China..how do you choose one over the other)
Deloitte cases are easy to crack if you have practiced enough and keep your cool. Most Deloitte cases are similar in structure; hence form groups after shortlist and share mock cases with each other (some cases can even be found online on the Deloitte website)