Software Engineer

Software Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Walmart Labs software engineer interview

Mohan KotlaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Software Engineer role at Walmart Labs
Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview Technical Interview HR Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Coding Test
Coding test conducted through HackerRank website. There are three codes.I think 1.30 hour duration for the test.
Practice codes from Geeksforgeeks.com, hackerrank.com, hackerearth.com.
(practice more of dynamic problem examples and 2D array problems (datastructures also).

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: There is 3*3 RUBIX cube, Can you find data structure for solving rubix cube.
  • Question 2: Given array of weights(infinite supply), can you find that given weight can be formed by using those set of weights?(dynamic programming,geeksforgeeks)
  • Question 3: If Redo and Undo operations have to perform, which datastructure can we use?(stack)
  • Question 4: Can you explain me about Router ?
  • Question 5: Can you explain the project that you mentioned in resume?
They are very friendly. If you stuck some where, they will give you hints to think further. They are so much friendly, You will not get any fear.

Dont think complicately. They will see our CV before our interview. They will know in which area you are good. Dont argue with them .just answer if you know, otherwise ask for hints.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Two wire burning puzzle(ans: 45min)
  • Question 2: triangle and three ants puzzle(ans: collision prob: 3/4)
  • Question 3: Explain about how internet works?
  • Question 4: One more coding question from array!
  • Question 5: how to find number of paths in tree such that sum of the values in those nodes will be equal to count?(hint:recursion)
He is so friendly,
be prepare puzzles from geekspuzzles and interviewbits.com

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: one simple puzzle?(cant explain through words)
they are so friendly. Maintain smile. Whatever you are doing, be interactive with them. Dont make them bore.
Prepare more logical questions too.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: normal HR questions
I frankly answer every question. I knew that I did well in three technical rounds.so I had hope that I would select.
Dont panic. Read you resume before going for interview. No need to prepare. Answer according to question.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: It is like Preplacement talk
They said that there will be another HR round. There it self I saturated with those many rounds. I went inside, but that is not HR round. It is like just interactive session. He asked me, "do you know anything about the company?". I replied him that It developed e-commerce sites and apps related to that. But he said that is not the actual work it is doing. He explained about company for 15 minutes. I realized that he is interested in hiring me. He asking me about Company .Then I said , "sorry sir, I dont know anything about company because I just get to know about that I shortlisted for interview at 6.00clock morning. I dont have time to know about company but I know CEO name(s) and I told to him. He said "will you attend other company interviews?". I replied " I will If you are not hiring me. That depends on your decision". He asked "What will be you next aim?". I replied "I will be in resposible position as you are now". He said "dont go for other company interviews, wait for a second". He came with few gifts and Instructions letter and said "you are finally selected". All the interviewers came to wish me and took selfie. GREAT INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE with GREAT INTERVIEWERS for GREAT COMPANY.

Capgemini software engineer interview

DIKSHA WASEKARFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Terna Engineering College for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Capgemini
Test Group Discussion HR Interview Pearson versant English test

• Section 1: Verbal (25)
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning (25)
  • Section 3: Quantitative (25)
Verbal section was a easy section,It comprised of Comprehension,Spotting errors,Synonyms,Antonyms,Relationship between two given words,Rearranging the sentences.Logical reasoning the second section in which problems on data interpretation,blood relations,syllogism,where there with little bit difficulty.third section was of quant we usual  think it's easy but this was a tough one! with standard problems,percentage,profit loss,speed distance time.....etc.
While,attempting verbal part always give most appropriate answers.Options may be more confusing and closer one but you have to select the correct one!!!!! Always check for sectional cutoff and if its there then try to attempt each section properly if not then concentrate on section in which you are strong....refer to sites such as IndiaBIX, M4maths, freshersworld for aptitude questions

Is Multinational company (MNC) or Indian IT company is best for a Fresher?
GD was not a round included for Capgemini placement test,Pearson versant english test was there once you clear your apti but due to technical faults GD was the round taken.There was a group of 10 people and we were given topic and 5 mins for preparation then GD was started.I was the second one to speak on the topic,I was in the favour of MNC because I really feel that for freshers Indian IT company is not very great start.Rather if one starts with MNC then it gets a brand name associated with them and also global exposure for one.And also Indian IT sectors are largely collaborating with the MNCs so for fresher MNC is a good start than Indian IT company.
I will suggest you to understand the topic well,jot down the points you want to say and then always initiate for the GD do not argue,just humbly disagree to the topic,do not get personal in it...as soon as you start the supervisor judges you so do not hesitate and just put your points confidently only your English is judged by this...

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: What are your objectives
  • Question 3: What are you going to do for companies betterment
  • Question 4: What is your final year project all about
  • Question 5: What you learned from your summer intenship
  • Question 6: What you learned from your winter intenship
  • Question 7: Do you have any question
As I entered they  checked me from top to bottom means how formally you are dressed and shoes,then asked for my resume and started to see and verify each and everything written in it is true and genuine.And both TR and HR interview was taken simultaneously.My interview was the quicker one they just started with name then all above mentioned questions....
Go properly dressed with shoes polished,do not panic or try to recollect what you  have prepared just be genuine.Write resume neatly and study it well they scan it and ask most questions from it...

Pearson versant English test

This test consist of two sections firstly the telephonic round in which we were provided with one toll free number and  unique test-id then it was for about 20 mins we talked on telephone.The questions asked were on basic english,like  repeat the sentences,correct the jumbled sentences,complete the sentences,answer in yes or no.Second test was a computer based test for 60 mins in which complete the sentences synonyms,copying the passage,email writing ,listen and write,were few of the questions directed.this test is taken mainly to check your english and writing skills.
Be clear and loud enough in telephonic test,and search placement papers of every company you sit for.

• Rs aggarwal,
    • Arun sharma,
    "Try try you will succeed" always believe on this saying and keep giving tests if you failed in one!!
    Capgemini is one of good MNC its under top 10 best IT companies also its symbol spade which represented free enivronment to work and moto "People matter,results count".motivated me to join it!

Persistent Systems software engineer interview

Shachi ChauguleFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at Cummins College of Engineering for Women (CCOEW) for Software Engineer role at Persistent Systems
    Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

For the first section, there were 5 quant questions and rest was technical.
    in technical, it had majorly testing questions, some in dbms, os and algorithms
    Coding round was mainly to test your OOPS concepts and the coding questions where related to the same.
    Essay writing was on a very general topic. we had the topic as " things you think are the biggest problem about India"
    keep your testing concepts clear and praactise OOPS coding questions,

generic GD. No topic as much
    there was one word rapid fire round. the Interviewer was saying one word pointing at interviewees in random and we were expected to ans in no time.
    in the 2nd turn one random statement was made by interviewer eg. "Black is beautiful" and only ans to this should be yes with one justification.
    In 3rd round, 1 word was told to every interviewee and we had to say everything except truth about the word.
    there was one last topic to discuss " whether 6 is better or 9"
    these were really very fun rounds.
    just you need presence of mind and enjoy the GD

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: 1. what is Machine Learning
    • Question 2: 2. Explain how does Prediction works
    • Question 3: 3. Draw flow Chart of classification algorithms
    • Question 4: explain what is deadloacks and ways to prevent them
    • Question 5: 5. what is Banker's algorithm
    • Question 6: 6. Everything in detail about your seminar or project you had done
    • Question 7: 7. what is public and private IP. how are they different
    • Question 8: 8. Explain how a message is transferred in OSI layer
    • Question 9: what is Polymorphism. what are its 3 conditions
    • Question 10: Interoperability in Inheritance and polymorphism
    • Question 11: What are transaction logs
    • Question 12: what is basic difference between c and cpp. explain on memory levels
    • Question 13: what are different technologies you have ever worked on and why on them
    • Question 14: Family background and personal interests
    • Question 15: implement binary search on linked list
    • Question 16: what is thrashing
    Here they were checking the basic knowledge in every domain of computer engineering. my interview went on for about an hour. they were seeing how much you know. they drilled us completely in this.
    Only one interview was taken for me and was sent for hr round, rest had 2 technical interviews
    revise everything
    every subject. they ask very unpredictable questions. they check evrything,
    when some students were getting rejecting, the students were told the areas they need to work on and the reasons for not qualifying

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Everything from resume was questioned. and Introduce yourself
    • Question 2: basic important difference between java and cpp
    • Question 3: family background
    • Question 4: 2 puzzles were given to solve
    • Question 5: I was asked the importance of my native place
    • Question 6: why persistent
    • Question 7: your review about the GD which was conducted
    • Question 8: rate your HR interview, and your personal opinion about it
    • Question 9: If asked to recommend, who will the 2 students you would recommend
    it was great experience. It was getting very technical at one moment but rest it was good
    Just be yourself. Do not lie. they understand when u lie and when u dont.
    think hard over the puzzle. solution is very simple.
    when they ask something, pay full attention, they give a tinge of hint in it.
    5 students went upto HR and all of them were selected

• Algorithms And Data Structures
    • 12th Class Fundamentals

L&T Infotech software engineer interview

Advait KarulkarExperiencedSelected
    Application
    I Applied for job through Campus Placement for Software Engineer role at L&T Infotech
    Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about a time when you have worked on a group project
    I responded with a description of my third year engineering project. The interviewer was interested in knowing more about
    a. how did we come up with the project idea
    b. how was the work divided between the team members
    c. what challenges did we face and how we overcame them
    d. what was the final outcome. was the deliverable as per specifications
    In my experience, interviewers are trying to understand how one works in a group / team. Provide examples instead of generic responses - these will serve as evidences to your claims. Try to include following pointers in your responses
    a. what was your personal contribution (this is the most technical part of the response)
    b. how did you assist other members
    c. how did you seek help from other members
    d. how did you take accountability of something outside your personal tasks.
    e. how did you keep focus on the bigger picture

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: How will you write a program to <generate a particular output>. For example, create a calculator
    I responded with a flowchart of a standard calculator. It was a simple design. The interviewer was more interested in knowing
    a. how did I come up with a design
    b. how did I make sure the design was correct
    c. what are the limitations of the design?
    d. what enhancements can I make to the design
    In my experience, the interviewers are trying to understand your analytical skills.
    a. how do you understand the problem statement
    b. why do you decide on one particular design. are there any alternatives.
    c. how do you break down the problem statement to smaller tasks
    d. how thoroughly do you understand your design, with limitations.
    e. does it fulfill your client's purpose.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why do you want to work for this organisation?
    I had undertaken thorough research about the organisation, which enabled me to map my ambitions and expectations to the organisational values and purpose.
    I highly recommend doing a background research on the organisation. It also helps to be clear on your expectations.
    For example, 'I want to work here because the company believes in taking a client centric approach to deliver solutions, while maintaining high ethical standards. This way of work aligns with my idea of undertaking challenging tasks in an environment which provides developmental platforms for employees.'

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    I responded with my professional ambitions in the industry. The interviewer is more interested in understanding what your objective is and your plan to get there.
    Study the career opportunities and pathways available in the industry. Decide which one suits your goals the best. It is alright not to have a completely confirmed plan. You can also demonstrate that you are flexible with your plan and will select the best available option at a future point in time.

• Leadership Skills
    • Activeness Of Candidate
    • Analytical Skills
    • Object Oriented Programming (OOP) Basics
    • Programming
    Learn from the experience. If you do not get selected, there is always a next opportunity. Understand what the recruiters are looking for. Try to refrain from repeating your mistakes.
    The HR rep complimented me on having a unique name and asked me what it means. To which I had no answer. Quite embarrassing!

Housing software engineer interview

Som BoseFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Housing
    Resume Shortlist Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview

I dont really know what special I did. I just put some start up internship ahead of interns in two well established companies and mentioned my web based projects.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Given a BST and two positions in a bst exchanged to give a violation in bst rule. Find the two elements and exchange them. Corner case to be considered is that root can also be a node which id exchanged.
    • Question 2: Design a system for Bookmyshow.com. When we book seats we the seats must be locked till the time payment gateway is reached. Also consider no payment done and payment failures. This is a question on state machines and transaction management acc to me. Still verify not sure
    • Question 3: Given a set of n steps. A person can climb one or two steps at a time. Find the number of ways in which one can reach the nth step. (Easy stuff.. I probably wasn't doing good by this time)

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Given an array a1, a2...an. Find all pairs such that ai>aj having i<j. (nlogn solution)
    • Question 2: Given many pairs intervals with their start and end. Find the maximum interval which intersects the maximum number of intervals. Look for corner cases again!
    • Question 3: There was one easy string question.. Dont remember.something on trie data structure
    • Question 4: Given a string (say alpha) and a dictionary database from where I can find if a word is present in the dictionary by a O(1) time look up. Find if there exists a path from the root word(aplha) to leaf node having a single letter such that a child is formed by removing one letter at a time such that each word intermediately formed is also in the dictionery. Eg. If there is a path aplha->plha->pha->pa->a. And all the nodes are in dictionery. Dynamic programming solution exists.
    • Question 5: Implement an auto suggest in search engine. Like for google when u type max say maximum must be suggested in drop down. This is a problem on Information Retrieval.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Easy one. How to make a linked list with for a number like 12345 must be stored in linked list as 1->2->3->4->5.
    • Question 2: I dont remember again a question. Was on strings again :P. But easy
    • Question 3: Implement a ctlr+f (find) functionality in a file. Make a data structure for this implementation.
    • Question 4: Given two sorted arrays find of size n and m. The n sized array has m spaces empty at the end. Code to merge these to arrays in single pass O(n+m).

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Given a binary tree. Code to have each node point to the next node in the same level. Last element in the level must point to NULL.
    • Question 2: Make a set of all nodes that can occur in any path from a source to a destination in both directed as well as undirected graph. Note that a node can be visited any number of times not necessarily only once.
    • Question 3: Given two sides of a river having the same cities labeled in characters. Bridges are to be drawn from one side to another that can connect the same labels but the bridges shudnt cross each other. Find the max no of bridges that can be connected. Eg Side 1: A B C D Side 2: D C A B So bridges connecting A to A etc need to be made. But when A to A is connected above D to D is not possible. Dynamic programming solution exists.

• Algorithms
    • Systems
    Be clear with your basics
    Make a cv which is appealing, and highlight some key things regarding web development or algorithms or system development
    Interest in Software Engineering
    They started speaking in Hindi after a while. It was very friendly.

Citrix software engineer interview

Yashika ChawlaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Allahabad for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Citrix
    Test Problem Statement Other Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview

45 or 50 questions
    • Section 1: Multiple Choice questions
    The type of questions mainly comprised of aptitude, dbms, data structures, operating system, object oriented programming, networking and few basic questions on C programming language.
    For Object Oriented programming  the book entitled as THINKING IN C++ volume 1 by BRUCE EKEL proved to be very useful.For C, read Dennis Ritchie thoroughly atleast twice.

Problem Statement

The questions didn't make use of any tough algorithms. The solution too was quite simple but on the contrary there were several test cases which we generally overlook.
    Sometimes practicing tough questions, we stumble across easy ones, so always start learning things from the ground level. Stay calm.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: the usual first question ..tell me about yourself
    • Question 2: What irritates you ?
    • Question 3: My CPI was 8.69, even then was asked why is it so low , why not 9 or above
    • Question 4: Dream company and if you get selected, will you still aspire and study for your dream company
    • Question 5: How many computer languages do you know ?
    • Question 6: Some situation based questions
    • Question 7: Why didn't you get selected in the last company that visited your college ?
    It was managerial interview and i expressed myself in the best way i could . The interviewer tried to trap me in my own answer but somehow i managed to satisfy him by my answers.
    Stay confident and be yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: 3 - 4 data structures based coding questions
    Initially, i gave naive approach to the solution but the interviewer gave me sometime to improvise the solution and i ended up with solution with log n complexity.
    Practice coding questions based on Data Structures as much as possible but look at the solutions only after the exhaustive attempts of self trials.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Questions on project like problems faced or errors encountered
    • Question 2: Memory layout of C programs
    • Question 3: Storage of semaphores and many other questions based on semaphores
    • Question 4: Questions based on operating system
    This round was bit tough . To answer the questions on semaphore, you need to have very basic knowledge of the topic.
    System programming book by Richard Stevens provides deep insight of the concepts.Have strong grip on subject knowledge too.

• programming Skills
    • communication skills
    • Skills to handle the situation.
    Have a command on your domain.

• Thinking in C++ Volume 1 by Bruce Ekel,
    • Dennis Ritchie,
    • Operating System by William Stallings.,
    • Data Communication & Networking by Forouzan,
    Videos
    1) Once you kick off a start to practicing coding questions and understanding the concepts, you actually enjoy things.2) Group Study plays a very crucial role. Discuss questions with your friends and your seniors.3) If initially you get bulk of errors in programming questions , don't get disheartened .Try to run the program by compiling each and every line thoroughly and eventually you will end up with successful compilation and that happiness is priceless.
    A software company with software engineer profile  and a good package too and both of them defines my field of interest :P
    when the result was declared with me and my friend both got selected, we both started jumping and crying aloud infront of everyone out there.And at the end when we were given chocolates , there was another box containing t-shirts ..and i was constantly looking there in the hope that soon, we would be given t-shirts too but to the dismay the handed all of them over to the third party :(

CGI software engineer interview

Shalini PanditFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at GIET Gunupur for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at CGI
    Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Indeed, being a person known for my communication skills in college days wished to have a resume, setting me out of the queue. It was not easy though ,as to write something so brief yet which had a strong impact on others. Take help from your teachers, the one taking your communicative skills classes.
    The most important of all,,Take at most attention to what you platter on someone for the first time. No one wants a dull person working in adding on nothing but pounds on themselves. Showcase the best of you....

• Section 1: Apptitude
    • Section 2: English
    • Section 3: Resoning
    Elitmus, it's really tough to crack. Especially the Reasoning, try and focus to prepare as if to prepare for an MBA admission. The level would be no lessor than that.
    One needs to work real hard to compete. That's the only option. It's the only way you had to get on the first step correctly.

Social Networking
    Good ,as always. Was bit nervous, after seeing such a crowd and as it was my first off-campus experience . People were friendly and only ladies from my company who were not very old but enough to judge one by just looking at them. They were closely monitoring each and every activity in there.
    Be yourself, Don't panic at all. You just need to stick on your point of  view and never ever contradict any of your statement.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Pl/sql
    • Question 2: C programs
    • Question 3: switch case programs
    • Question 4: optimizing them again
    • Question 5: Java
    Had two technical rounds, the first one which went about 1hr 30 mins. Many questions starting from C to Java. In-fact it's better to say the lady wanted to know all what i have done in college. Was even asked about my last semester results and project.
    No way out, just be prepared to the level of any possible question one can ask.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: about yourself
    • Question 2: if i would comply with all norms and conditions of company
    • Question 3: as to where i see myself and what would differentiate me in next few years
    The HR was busy going through all papers he had. Even not looking at me for once. But i went on answering even to smallest he asked or confirmed. It was good overall but different as to relate someone not even listening you.
    Go on with a good pitch. Using the good highlights from your life and yourself.

• communication
    • technical
    • thought process
    Prepare things well and before time. Try to main a set of handout which would really be helpful while you travelling from one place to another.

• Let us C,
    • Data structure,
    • Oracle OCA,
    • Java Certification,
    • same courses even,
    Never loose heart if you are rejected anytime. As it's for the best, believe me.
    Being placed during on campus, but not satisfied with package and what i was offered. Came to a place like Bangalore from GIET, Gunupur where life is so fast. It was not easy, mind you a lot people around would de motivate you. But just don't get affected easily ,as to this is what my experience all over this tells.

I was just stunned when i saw the official website of CGI.
    Was not really funny but would share ,as i smile to those now. Not being selected by TCS and my roommate, girls in hostel making fun of  the optimistic approach i had with life.

National Instruments software engineer internship interview

PC GowthamFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at JSS Mahavidyapeetha Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore for Software Engineer role at National Instruments
    Test Coding Round Technical Interview

• 1 question was on time complexity of searching an unsorted array.
      • 2 questions were on recursion, ie, number of recursive calls.
      • 1 question on analysing given function on string.
      • 1 question was on probability(Two hotels, say A and B. Probability of moving from A to B is 2/3, staying at A is 1/3. Probability of moving from B to A and staying at B is 1/2. If they make decisions each hour, and if they were at A at 7:00 pm, what is the probability that they will be at B at 10:00 pm).
      • If a set has elements {1,2,3,4 .... n}. Then what is the sum of elements of it's power set. (Ex: S = {1,2}. Then power set is {{},{1},{2},{1,2}}. The sum is 6.
      • If a set has elements {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}. Then how many subsets of 3 elements has no consecutive elements.
      • 1 question was on designing a DFA for a string starting with a and ending with c and has at least b in it.
      • 1 question had machine instructions. We had to find out minimum number of cycles needed to execute the given set of instructions. (a) If the instructions are executed in the given order. (b) If the instructions are executed in random order.
      • 1 puzzle on bridges.
      In this round they not only see the answer. They also verify how you approached(So, give correct explanation to your answers).

Coding Round

Two questions were there. 3 hours duration.

1. Long question, I don't remember fully. I'll just give input/output examples. It was basically on string decoding. If jon2snow3 is there the decoded string will be jonjonsnowjonjonsnowjonjonsnow. Given a string and an integer k we have print the kth character in the decoded string
      input:
      jon2snow3
      output:
      n

2. Given an array and an integer k return the number of contiguous sub arrays whose sum is divisible by k.
      input format:
      n k
      <n elements of the array>
      input:
      4 5
      10 0 4 5

output:

explaination: {10},{0},{10,0},{5} are the sub arrays with sum divisible by 5.

You will have lots of time, so try to optimise the solution if you can. Remember here also they review each individual's code.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: They asked me optimise the code I had written for the first question
      • Question 2: Given a binary tree, find out the maximum sum path from root to leaf. This problem, but they said tree has only positive integers. http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-the-maximum-sum-path-in-a-binary-tree/ . To store the path I had used global array. They asked me alternative to global array, I said passing array as parameter. Then they asked me about disadvantages of using global variables.
      • Question 3: Given a list of words. Given three operations find out the minimum steps to reach from source string to destination string. Basically, http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/length-of-shortest-chain-to-reach-a-target-word/ this is the problem with some modification. For this question I said I will use graph traversal techniques. So, they started asking about BFS and DFS, when to use them.
      They will help you a lot if you are stuck at some point in the question. You have to be smart enough to grasp the clue.
      They only ask questions only on data structures and algorithms.

• C Programming
      • Maths(esp Probability)
      • Algorithms And Data Structures
      You have to be strong in coding. Algorithm questions will be mostly on dynamic programming. Data structures questions are mostly on trees.

• C Aptitude:Test Your C Skills By Yeshvant Kanetkar,
      • Coding Interview Questions : Narasimha Karumanchi,

CouponDunia software engineer interview

Gautam SinghFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Durgapur for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at CouponDunia
      Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview App development Technical Interview

- Keep your resume as compact as possible- Try to keep requirements of the profile in your resume- Survey on how much the company is paying in the market and then state your expected CTC in the range of +/- 2 LPA.

• Section 1: Pre-Interview Coding test
      2 questions were a bit easy and the 3rd one was a little tricky for the people who are afraid of recursive programming. All the questions are provided in the link here: http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/coupondunia-interview-experience-set-5/
      - Programming experience or programmer's help ( :p ) was the only way out of it.- Try to solve problems which you can solve first rather than hanging on any tough problem, because people solving 2/3 questions were also selected for the next round.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Given a binary tree how would you identify whether it is a Binary Search tree or not?
      • Question 2: Solve it without using array (in case the solution is - Inorder traversal should be in sorted order)?
      • Question 3: Given a BST, convert it to a binary tree such that each element is replaced by the sum of all the elements greater than it?
      • Question 4: Given an employee table with employee name and salary find the 2nd highest salary in sql?
      The interviewer was very helpful in guiding, motivating and giving me time to solve the problems. It went quite smoothly and within days I was selected for the next interview.
      - Never speak without thinking unless said to speak what you are thinking.- Try to clarify your doubts before you jump into solving questions asked.- If you are taking any assumption, forget not to notify it to the interviewer.

App development

I was made to develop a Java application within a week and submit it with proper documentation. It was very interesting app and I learned tons of things while developing.
      - Try to do your task by yourself.- Keep your code as clean and OOP-like as possible- Make your friend read your documentation you prepared to know if it is understandable.- Use git or any other VCS while developing to ensure fallback in case the application breaks down (which usually happens during development).

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Tell be about yourself?
      • Question 2: Given an array. find the pattern it follows? there can be 4 patterns only: increasing, decreasing, increase then decrease and decrease then increase.
      • Question 3: Given an array of distinct positive numbers find the maximum sum of elements such that no 2 elements occurring in the maximum sum set is adjacent to each other.
      • Question 4: How can you improve suggestions of coupons to the users?
      This was exactly like a last gateway to cross for entering into the company. The interviewer was modest and calm, watching all my steps that I take while solving the problem. Twisting problems and guiding me to unwind the twists. At the end...a great experience!
      Same as the above interview tips, nothing much is required for any technical interview (if you ask me).

• Programming
      • Java application development
      • Learning/Grabbing new skills
      • SQL knowledge
      Few points that motivated me: - Web development related work which is my area of interest.

- Company was a startup so a lot of work => lot of learning (crucial for starting career).- Pay was decent, so I can sustain my living and save something.
      It was my last interview and while I was solving a problem I wrote something wrong, and by mistake " f**k " came out of my mouth. The interviewer was on the phone and for some time I was just wondering if she heard that word, whether it would affect my interview result and all sort of things, rather than about the problem.

A suggestion: Please mind what comes out of your mouth ;)

Times Internet software engineer interview

Mukesh Kumar MeherFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Times Internet
      Resume Shortlist Technical Interview

On the basis of CV they shortlisted approx 30 candidates for SDE position.
      Must verify your CV from your seniors/batchmates.
      Include all the projects, intern work or hall activities or anything you have done on your own which is related to or interest of company. If you know any back-end/front-end (javascript, php, mysql etc) language do mention. I think the cv shortlist was completely based on previous work and technical skills related to Web Development/Design mentioned in the CV.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: What is a Tree/binary search tree, How to perform add, delete operation in BST, whats the time complexity, asked to write complete code on paper.
      • Question 2: Make a copy of linked list with a random pointer pointing to random node in the linked list, asked to write pseudo code for it.
      • Question 3: Some SQL basic sql queries.
      I had one interview for approx. an hour, it includes both Technical and HR round, well mostly technical. Interview starts with tell me something about yourself.  Asked in detailed about algorithms/web based projects mentioned in CV, make sure that whatever you have written you have complete knowledge about it. Asked to code few basic algorithms questions. Do mention about small project if you have done related to web development.
      If interviewer says if you want to ask any question, its always better to ask one or two question.
      Prepare tell me something about yourself way before your placement starts, a month or so. Write it down on a piece of paper, keep it to less than 120 sec, 90-100 sec is good.
      A basic format would be like, your introduction, schooling (doesn't matter but if you have something good to say about), give an overview of your project/work experience mentioned in your CV.
      You should cover all the necessary and important parts written in your cv in this question. If something interest the interviewer your interview can start from those topic you mentioned.
      Just make sure whatever you have written in your CV, you have full knowledge of it. Interviewer is going to take you from summary of the project to how you have actually coded some particular function or stored data.
      Interviewer will give you enough time to think and give answer, so don't just be in hurry and say anything randomly.
      While writing code keep telling what you are doing, just don't sit and code silently, interviewer might say and give hints if you are doing it wrong.
      Ask question if you have any doubt, or to frame the question properly. Cause most of the time questions are of one line and you're suppose to assume a lot of things so its better to ask questions and get it clarified, it may happens that interviewer wants to ask something else and you are solving something else.
      If you don't know something its better to say no.

• SQL
      • Algorithms
      • Data Strucutre
      • C++
      • PHP

• Cracking the coding interview - Gayle Laakmann McDowell,
      • Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy - Narasimha Karumanchi,
      Videos
      Interviewer wanna see how you think and if you can code or not, so take your time, think properly, keep telling what you are thinking, interviewer will probably gives hints/help you to solve the problem.
      Interested in coding, love web development stuffs.