Software Engineer

Software Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Marvel Realtors software engineer interview

NilFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at VJTI for Software Engineer role at Marvel Realtors
Test Technical Interview

(Shortlisted comps:12 I.T.:3 & tronics:5)
-Consisted of 30 questions,7 from quant and remaining from C and OS
-Questions from C were like what will be the output, will the code give error or not
-those from OS - 2 Qs on Real time Systems (chp 19 from Galvin, 8th edition), process sheduling algos.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Can pointers be added,subtracted etc
  • Question 2: Algo,code,walkthrough for tower of hanoi
  • Question 3: Reverse a doubly linked list(only head pointer is given) (Both recursive and non-recursive methods) //this Q was asked to almost 10-12 students ;)
  • Question 4: Array of pointers,pointer to arrays and their byte sizes
  • Question 5: Identify a system as big or little endian
  • Question 6: -find if a linkedlist is circular
  • Question 7: macro to set a particular bit of a number
  • Question 8: concepts on compiling,linking and loading //this Q was asked to almost 5-6 students
  • Question 9: what is paging,segmentation
  • Question 10: reverse a singly link list
  • Question 11: Program Logic to solve Sudoku..
  • Question 12: Whats the maximum memory you can allocate with malloc()...
  • Question 13: What is virtual memory ? Why is it called virtual ? Whats the area of hard disk where pages are replaced to, called?
  • Question 14: What is the role of virtual memory if there is no swap space...(Interviewer was So knowledgeable about memory management that We spent 1 hour out of 1.45 hour on discussing virtual memory only.. :-o )
  • Question 15: Process p1 & p2. p1 writes to an address & sleeps...p2 writes another value to the same address & terminates. Now p1 wakes up & reads value of that address. He asked me the output.What is Role of OS in this.
  • Question 16: What determines the padding size for the last member of the struct ? (We discussed this for half an hour probably !!)
  • Question 17: Write a C code to delete a node from circular doubly linked list where you cannot delete the head node.. (At the last i was very eager to know the answers to the questions he asked me, But he refused to answer saying You should do some hard work to know it.. :P )
  • Question 18: int *p[5]; int (*q)[5]; sizeof(p)=? sizeof(q)=?
  • Question 19: how static and global variables work- when they are declared inside and when they are declared outside the functions
  • Question 20: write code to reverse a doubly linked list
  • Question 21: towers of hanoi- explain algorithm and write code [recursive]
  • Question 22: final year project, general info abt wht u r gonna do
  • Question 23: 2 queues q1 and q2 are given.A background process copies elements from q1 to q2.In case an error occurs elements from q2 need to be copied back again to q1.Write this error handling function using foll functions q_len(),q_insert(qname),q_remove(qname,data).q_len() returns int,return type of other functions not known.Also no idea is given regarding the datatype in the queues.(Basically if q1 contains elements 1,2,3,4 and q2 contains 5,6,7 then in case of an error q1 should contain elements 5,6,7,1,2,3,4)
  • Question 24: why cant u open two serial port connections at a time
  • Question 25: a function returns a float ,the float value may also indicate error/failure in the function.How will u implement it?
  • Question 26: synchronisation and locks - given 2 threads...print out 1 to 10 such that 1 thread shud print all odd nos and other should print even nos.
  • Question 27: what is binary search tree...given n elements in binary tree....what is max ht of tree...what is search complexity for the case when this ht is max....how can u reduce it?
  • Question 28: -a try block throws an exception which is caught by catch()...how the throw() is internally implemented
  • Question 29: int a[10] printf(“%d”,sizeof(a)) what will be the output?
  • Question 30: how are static functions used in c/c++
  • Question 31: Tell me something about your Final year project. (My final year project is Soooo advanced that i ended up telling him mam will give us research papers and then we will evaluate the algorithm mentioned in the paper)
  • Question 32: Write a code to delete a node from singly linked list where you will be given head and offset of the node to be deleted .
  • Question 33: Represent numbers using linked list. How would you add two numbers represented in linked list form. Length of numbers can be different.
  • Question 34: What are Tries and why they are used.
  • Question 35: Given a linked list find if there is loop. (I gave standard algo, then he asked why it works?) Extended to find loop point. (I said I know this question, So he just changed the topic without getting into details.. :P ;) )
  • Question 36: What are locks? If you have non pre-emptive uni processor system, is there any need of lock. (He himself was confused about what he was asking & my questions made him more confused, So in end he said lets leave this question.. :P)
  • Question 37: Where are static global variables stored. Where are function’s static variable stored ?
  • Question 38: Why the value of static variable initialised to Zero ? Why not any other constant ?
  • Question 39: Can you assign variable value to a static variable during initialization ?
  • Question 40: What is macro ? What are differences between Macro and function ? Later changed to What are differences between macro and In-line functions?
  • Question 41: What is paging ?
  • Question 42: What is associative mapping ? What is difference between associative mapping and direct mapping ? What is set associative mapping? (After hearing last question I cursed myself for not reading AMP book for MST.. :P But finally I was able to hide my lack of knowledge..:P)
  • Question 43: Can paging be implemented completely in OS, thus, removing paging hardware?..
  • Question 44: What is TLB ?
  • Question 45: Write a macro To add/multiply two numbers and some variations
  • Question 46: Write a Macro in which you will define temporary variables & User can call this macro multiple times & still it should not give multiple definitions error.
  • Question 47: Write all possible test cases for adder.
  • Question 48: What is your rating on topcoder ? Why you call yourself so passionate about coding ?
  • Question 49: You say u can sit for hours coding, forgetting everything, does it imply your inability to solve the simple question?:P :P or is it that you solve too many ?
  • Question 50: struct abc{ int a; int b; char c;}; wht is the size of the structure? how will the members be allocated memory?
  • Question 51: if i change it to struct abc{ int a; char c; int b;}; will size change?
  • Question 52: wht ll be the size of struct abc{ int a; char b; short c;}; ? how will they be arranged when they are allocated memory?
  • Question 53: why is this padding done? how is it decided how much padding should be done and where?
  • Question 54: there are 2 processors each executing a separate program- processor 1 int a=10 int *ptr = &a; ptr is written into file1 processor sleeps for 10sec printf("%d",a); processor 2 int *p; file1 is read and contents are saved in p *p=5; processor 2 executes above program when porcessor one is sleeping, so when printf is executed wht will be the output?
  • Question 55: ] the above above question led to a lot of other questions- how do virtual n physical addresses work? how is paging done? is paging done for individual programs or for centrally for the entire system? how is segmentation done? if there are many processors with many programs running, how will the memory be allocated? the above ptr stores physical or virtual address? from where does malloc allocate memory? what is the max limit for this allocation?
  • Question 56: theres a two player game- there is a round table, each player puts a single coin on the table in each turn such that it does not ovrelap any other coin, a players loses if there is no place to put a coin on the table, each player has infinite supply of coins, if i let u take the first turn, wht move should u make to ensure tht u ll win? (ans: put it in the centre, then any move the opponent makes, just reflect it like a mirror)
  • Question 57: how ll u implement a queue using a stack, u can use only push n pop
  • Question 58: how ll u find out if there is a loop in a link list
  • Question 59: write a function to check whether a substring is present in the string
struct
{ int a;
char b;
}
what will be the size of the struct?...i said 5 bytes....he sd...dont you know abt padding?...i sd no...so he gave me this prob..
short* ptr;
int a;
ptr=&a;
and asked me what happens here...
For me, it was all about 1st interview. Because 2nd interview was timepass. Qs form !st interview -->
-Interviewer started with pointers, can we add pointers, can we subtract them.
-int a, *p=&a; what will happen if i write **p;
-can we access static variable of 1 file from another file. can we pass address of static variable from 1 file to another.
-3 programs, each having some global variables. he gave me the code and asked how
-implement memcpy function. i said i dont know what that function is about. then he explained me what function does and then asked me to write the code for the same. he was expecting solution to that condition where source and destination overlap.
-padding in case of structures.
-struct student {int rollno; char *name,*address...}; which data structure you will use to store records of 100 students..(array). Then he asked, what you will use to store records where no of students is not fixed. (linked list with each node containing record of 10 students and pointer to next node).
-reverse linked list (recursive and non-recursive)
-then he asked about final year project.
-then he asked the reason for not going for Higher education.
He asked me Qs only from C n DS. no Q from OS was asked. But do prepare for OS as some friends were grilled for 1-1.5 hours over only OS.
1) Be truthful throughout the interview.
2) Don't worry too much.They like VJTIans. (In fact, there's a fair chance that the interviewer himself is one).

Visa software engineer interview

Pranali YawalkarFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Software Engineer role at Visa
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview

The test was on hackerrank.
* Fast coding and problem solving required
* Time crunch
* The test is valued a LOT in the hiring process

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Discussion on my internships and course projects.
  • Question 2: My field of interest, how well have I fared in it.
  • Question 3: Design a mvc controller system where given a url, I am able to invoke the right controller. Eg, given "xyz.com/a/b/c", I should be able to invoke c controller by going through a and b.
  • Question 4: Design autocomplete in IDEs.
Question 1 : He tried to take the discussion to web based technologies to which I straightly told I don’t know. Not sure if that was a good decision. Nevertheless, he went over my resume a lot of times and asked about various projects.
Question 2 : Discussed the various projects related to it.
Question 3 : He asked this question because I had worked on django during my FB internship. I proposed a tree based structure. xyz.com/a/b/c ---> b is child of a, c is child of b.

Question 4 : Next he moved to a very interesting question. Given a simple text editor, I want to facilitate autocomplete feature. We discussed about syntactic methods using language specific keywords. I suggested a trie based implementation which he liked. Later he asked me to improve and redirected me to using scope of the variables, and grammar of the language. We discussed about all the steps I did in language translators lab (macrojava -> minijava -> typechecking -> miniIR -> microIR -> miniRA ->Mips) where we built a Java compiler in Java. We later hopped back to original question and I suggested that we can use grammar to to store multiple (nested kind of) tries for different scope. He asked me how would I define “scope”. He gave me a scenario which helped me come up with the nested trie structure
int a;
int b;
{
int c; //a b c can be used
{
int d; //a b d can be used
}
He then asked me details of how I would code. I said we could use the respective visitors and maintain the current trie root for scope. He liked it but I missed at 2 places :
1. He asked me about token generation used in a compiler and I said flex and bison. I was expected to elaborate a bit.
2. He asked me how the grammar is generated and how the visitors are invoked. I couldn’t explain properly because I was not thorough with it.
* Keep smiling in the interviews.
* My interviewer had hopped from Microsoft to Visa. We had a short detailed discussion on how the transition was and what drove him to do that.
* It’s always good to know about the company to pick up interesting discussions, read up latest articles and news
* The interviewers want to see if you are passionate about what they are building. Their PPT (Pre Placement Talk) was also focussed majorly on the technologies they are building.
* If you take a question in a direction, make sure you are very very thorough with it. I took it in the direction of compilers, but couldn't make the transition seamlessly because I wasn't thorough with a lot of things (like token generation, visitor invocation).
* Not sure if telling upfront that you don't know about web technologies when you are applying for a profile that might need it is a good idea or not.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is my weakness.
  • Question 2: Given 2 game scenarios for basketball, and given p as the probability of making a basket in an attempt, I have to understand the condition where game1 would be preferable over game2. In first game, I have one trial and have to make a basket in that trial to win. In second game, I am given 3 trials and have to make at least 2 baskets to win.
  • Question 3: Given a dictionary of words, I have to go from one word to another in least number of transitions where a transition is a defined as changing any letter of the current word such that the new word is also in the dictionary. Eg, cat --> dog would be cat --> cot --> cog --> dog.
I think he was a senior person and spoke very passionately about the work that is happening in visa Bangalore office.

Question 1 : I said maybe I should have learnt a little about web based technologies. I think he was looking for a more generic answer.
Question 2 : I went ahead with calculating the expected score where my score random variable = 1 with probability p, and 0 with probability (1-p). I conditioned that expected score of game1 > game2 which would give me the range of p. I goofed up the equations twice but he said he liked my approach and I was just there

Question 3 : I suggested building a graph where a node is a word and an edge means a transition, and then performing BFS. He said that was obvious and that he was more interested in knowing how I build the graph. I suggested a method to reduce the number of string comparisons by storing a count vector with each word. Count vector is a 26 length vector where count[i] = number of times that letter occurs in the word. I would do string comparison to identify neighbours only if the difference in count vectors in 2. Eg, cot = cat - a + o. String comparison is still needed because of false positives. Eg, oct = cat - a + o but cat -> oct is not a valid transition. He liked my approach and asked me to code, discussed the complexity.
* Don't be naive around a senior engineer. Be confident.
* Explain your approach before going ahead solving it. I missed that in Q1 and for a long time he didn't know what I was heading towards.
* Write clean code, practice coding on paper to make sure you write compilable code. Shabby code is a turn off.
* Show passion for the company you are applying for.

* I think I didn’t take Visa very seriously. I was assuming they won’t take a undergrad and they won’t take me because I have 0 knowledge in web based technologies. I might have acted a little cocky.<br /> * They had nice pie diagrams which shows that they had done thorough research about each and every candidate based on resume and the coding test.<br /> * They value the coding test a lot.<br /> * Be very thorough with the projects you write on resume. They will give you a problem which won't be straightforward and will map onto one of your course projects. You are expected to do the mapping seamlessly. Every bit of the discussion you have with the interviewer can be your next problem. <br /> * Brush up on web based technologies if you can.<br /> * There will be a HR round as well if you clear the technical interviews.<br />

• Data Structures And Algorithms,
  • The Complete Web Developer Course,
* Be friendly and keep smiling.

* Know about the company, well in detail. Recent news, articles, acquisitions, organisational changes, new offices, new product, etc.

* Know about the volume the company handles, certain mind boggling figures, what the company *does not* do

* If you are introducing yourself as an expert in a certain field, be prepared for questions like "How will you contribute to our company with your expertise" type of questions.

* Be very very thorough with every single thing you write on your resume. A small point you weren't sure about might become the basis of your whole interview. Don't write things you are unsure of, or have worked very little on.
* Been the leader since more than half a century, been through the technological revolution.

* Revolutionising payments architecture. Building something of greatest need, so elegant and optimised, yet producing such consistent performance.

* Keeping up with the need of the generation by introducing features which are brand new. Eg, “all-purpose credit card”.

* Loved their PPT (Pre Placement Talk). Volume of the data and processing is IMMENSE. Billions of transactions in a year voluming up to trillions. More than 200 countries in the world --> these stats are HUGE.

* Fraud detection is a space I would have loved to work on given that I come from a Data Mining background.

Chucked out before HR round :P

InMobi software engineer internship interview

Anshul GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Software Engineer role at InMobi
Resume Shortlist Puzzle Interview HR Interview

The first round was a resume shortlist, which I think was on the basis of programming and coding courses (and projects) taken along with your CGPA. Out of 10 shortlisted people, I knew 4 and all of us were 9 pointers. The rest who I didn't know turned out to be 9 pointers as well! :P
Out of 10 shortlisted people, 3 (including me) were from ECE and the rest were from CS. Even though InMobi was open for Mathematics & Computing, no person from MnC dept. was in the shortlist. (Presumably due to their CGPAs or some other criterion that I'm not in the knowledge of.)
i) High CGPA is a must (We're talking above 9, at the end of 2nd year for CS/ECE and 3rd year for MnC)
ii)Taking programming and algorithm courses and projects is important, as that must be visible in your resume.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The office of InMobi technologies has 10 floors, each with 300 employees. In the morning (7-8 AM), the building sees 3000 employees entering and waiting in a queue for 3 lifts. In the morning, everyone goes ONLY to their cubicle and nowhere else. Now, people are irritated as they have to wait for a long time for the lifts. You've been given control of the lift's algorithms (assuming a green field where you can control every practical aspect of the lift imaginable), you have to make some changes so that people are happy.
One special thing about the interviews, you're asked not to wear any formals! That actually helps in taking the tension off of things!
It's simple logic, after that. Increase the lift's speed (taking in mind of the safety), collecting usage data, optimising the lift's floor-stoppage according to that.
As told after the interview, the interviewer is just observing how you think and approach a problem.

One odd thing was not being asked about any coding/algorithm questions even though the profile was for a software engineer.

After this question, I was asked if I had any questions to ask. I simply stated that the work environment and culture affected me as much as the profile I'm applying for. Thus, the drive and motivation of the people who work there is also very important. So I asked what are the companies' values which the employees believe in, too.
Stay confident, don't let any tension get to your head.
In the future, InMobi may start asking coding questions too in the interviews. or change the selection procedure, which will be communicated in the PPT of InMobi.
Whatever may happen, the first round should show your zeal to solve problems, your creativity in trying different approaches, and applying logic to find the best solution.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me one thing about you that's not listed on your resume.
  • Question 2: When you hear InMobi, what's the first word that comes in your head?
OK! There were a lot of questions asked since the interview was more like a conversation taking place. Like in ANY conversation, keep proper eye contact, smile and be approachable for any questions. Show enthusiasm in your voice and your answers. The interviewer asked me questions about
i)My resume, and all the activities that I'd listed there. (eg: Why did you enlist in this course? Do you like coding?)
ii)Why programming, how does it interest you?
iii)Basic questions about InMobi, like 'What do you know about us after attending the PPT?' and 'Why InMobi'

Since I had done quite a lot of marketing activities, I was also asked about that. Will you do an MBA in the future? What all did you do for marketing? I had a strong background in digital marketing, and we had a little chat about mobile marketing and what's the future of mobile advertising.
Smile, for god's sake! It's a conversation about you, do all the basic things to improve the conversational experience.
Small things like greeting the interviewer, smiling, proper eye contact, and speaking properly are paramount.

Like in any HR interview, make sure you know yourself and your resume properly, so that you don't phase out in the interview when asked some 'unexpected' question. (since that's when they know thatyou might be lying/exaggerating). Hence introspect enough before sitting the interviews.

I don't think that this adds on as a skill, but InMobi wants to create a huge impact on the mobile world and the mobile advertising sector.<br /> Your knowledge about this sector in general could help you strike good conversations (at least in the HR round).

• Programming & Data Structures,
  • Design and Analysis of Algorithms,
Make sure you're able to convince yourself and the interviewers for why do you want to work in Inmobi Technolgies.

I've already shared the rest in previous sections! :)

2 people out of 10 were selected for this internship experience, so make sure you prepare well! All the best! :D

I'm a gadget geek from my childhood. The mobile industry amazes me as it's been the biggest change-bringer in the modern world. InMobi as a company wants to create a huge impact in the mobile advertising space and mobile advertising! And seeing their products that they offer in this domain had me thinking that they're doing something unique and awesome!

The work culture of InMobi is just amazing, right from flexible work hours to the epic office they have in Bangalore full of awesome people working towards that one goal! Also, InMobi offers their employees opportunities to shift between various verticals if they want to. All of this (along with a good compensation ;-) ) was enough motivation for me to apply!
When I was asked whether I was in the third year, I said yes, and then said, usually people think that I'm still in high school!

We had a good laugh on that one! :P

Otherwise also, the entire procedure was relaxed and fun in general.

UnitedHealth software engineer interview

Parag JainFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Hamirpur for Software Engineer role at UnitedHealth
Test Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test
The first round was a pen and paper aptitude test. The test consisted of questions from quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, analytical reasoning and what not. It had all types of aptitude questions. The level of test was very high. Questions were very lengthy. I could only manage to solve around 15 questions in the time limit. +1 was given for correct answer and -0.5 for wrong answer. Though the cutoff to clear the test was around 7-8 out of 30, only 28 students out of the 150 students sat were able to clear the test.
1. Do practice aptitude questions as much as you can before going for the test.
2. Don't try to guess any question's answer. If you are not getting it, just leave it.
3. Maintain the speed.

• Section 1: Coding round
The second round was the pen and paper coding round. This round was mandatory for computer science students and optional for other branches. There were 3 questions given to us for which we had to write the code in any of the programming language we know.
The 3 questions that we got were:
1. Sort the array of pairs
2. Find mirror of the binary tree
3. LCS
All of the codes were pretty simple.
This test was taken just for the sake of asking questions in the interview and not for the selection for interview. Selection for interview was done completely on the basis of aptitude test.
1.Just stay calm and cool. You would be having enough time to write. ;)
2. Practice on geeksforgeeks

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Given a square with side L and a circle is inscribed in it. Find the area in the square except the circle. (Pretty simple apti question)
  • Question 2: Write a program to find fibonacci series.. i.e. take an input from user, let's say n and then print first n fibonacci numbers (Cakewalk)
  • Question 3: Write a program to find factorial using recursion (again, simple one)
  • Question 4: What are indexes, views? (DBMS)
  • Question 5: For an employee table write possible fields in it and similarly for dept. table and then find primary key and foreign key in these tables.
  • Question 6: How indexes are implemented? (Ans - B Trees, B+ Trees)
  • Question 7: What are the things other than indexes and tables present in a dbms? (Ans - Views, .. etc.)
  • Question 8: What are the roles of a database administrator?
  • Question 9: Then he gave a binary tree to me, asked me to write inorder traversal for that. (simple, hah)
  • Question 10: Then asked me to write few numbers in sorted order..asked to perform binary search on them to find a particular number.
  • Question 11: Types of integrity in dbms? (Ans- Foreign, referential, domain)
This round was pretty simple. I had written ds, ada and dbms in my resume. That's why he asked me all the questions from them only. I answered almost all the questions quickly and got called for the 2nd interview after few minutes. This interview lasted for around 35-40 minutes. The interviewer was very friendly. He even offered me coffee and biscuits in between.
1. Just stick to the basics of the core subjects.
2. Be very careful and specific about the things you mention in your resume.
3. Stay calm and cool.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is SDLC(Software Development Life Cycle) and what are it's phases?
  • Question 2: What is agile methodology?
  • Question 3: Why UHG?
  • Question 4: Where do you see yourself after 3-5 years?
  • Question 5: How do you like himachal? (As I'm from plains and I study here in himachal)
This interview was fun to me. I enjoyed it a lot. It was a technical-cum-HR interview :D He started by asking questions regarding SDLC and as I started with that, he started making questions from the answers I was giving. He asked me questions regarding working in teams, that would I be comfortable working in a team with a boss or in a team where there is no boss. I answered all the questions very carefully giving him a valid reason. This interview lasted for around 25-30 minutes.
1. Do your ground work about the company before going for the interview like you should be very clear about optum and UnitedHealth Care in which the UHG is divided and about their visions.
2. Enjoy the interview and do keep a short smile on your face. :)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Introduce yourself!
  • Question 2: Tell 1 thing which is not present in the resume and which you want from life.
  • Question 3: Then asked me questions with obvious answers like "Are you willing to relocate?", "Are you ready to work in night shifts?" etc.
  • Question 4: Asked me some questions regarding my family.
  • Question 5: My strengths and weaknesses.
This round lasted for around 10-15 minutes only. The interviewer was very calm and friendly. As I went in, I was shivering, he then asked me if I'm nervous? I said no. He then made me feel calm by telling stories of his time when he was at my stage giving interviews and about other things that stage fear is a normal thing and butterflies in stomachs are also normal. After that I enjoyed answering to him each question :)
Stay confident.

Target Corporation software engineer interview

Eklavya MahajanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Software Engineer role at Target Corporation
Resume Shortlist Test Puzzle Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Resume shortlist was CPI cutoff based mostly.
Highlight all your strong points in the resume and don't forget to make different resumes for different profiles you are targeting. Other than that, your resume is what you make of it in your 4 or 5 years of your stay here!

• Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: Coding
The test was common for software analyst as well as business analyst profile. So that was sort of a drawback for the people targeting business analyst profile. But most of the coding questions were easily solvable and required little knowledge of coding.
Just try to improve your aptitude skills and freshen up some basic C++ concepts - very basic ones. You'll do great!

Puzzle Interview

Though I am not able to recall the puzzles asked, but they were moderate in difficulty level, plus the interviewers were helping a lot and were very friendly
Practice some basic puzzles, mostly the ones asked for coding interviews (you can search them online). Keep your calm and think thoroughly. Also, don't hesitate to ask for help whenever required. They would love to offer help more than you would like to get!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What factors can you think of which will determine the pricing of product on our e-retail website?
  • Question 2: We add a lot of products and their descriptions on a laptop webpage, it will get too cluttered if we try the same for a mobile app. What things can be done differently for a webpage on mobile app?
  • Question 3: Which scrolling option is the best for e-retail websites? Vertical scrolling or horizontal product scrolling or each product on a different page or something else?
Since my background in coding was not that great, and I had already told them so, thus they mostly asked me strategic questions like the ones mentioned above.
Think logically and just spit out whatever comes to your mind would be the best option/strategy. They are looking for innovative answers and also a wide variety of alternatives, and then choose the best ones. Again, they will help you in case of any confusion or in case you need some example strategies.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What was your happiest moment in life?
  • Question 2: Tell me about your internships in short.
  • Question 3: Strengths and weaknesses?
  • Question 4: What are your interests beyond academics?
  • Question 5: You seem to have a good CPI. Why are you not going for MS or MBA? Do you intend to go for any such thing some years later?
This round initially focused primarily on my internships. The interviewer seemed interested to know about the work done in internships, the accomplishments, the moments worth remembering from the foreign internships. Later she moved on to the hobbies, strengths, weaknesses and was quite involved with my life stories! She had a pad to note down my answers and judge abilities like communication skills, fluency, confidence in answers etc. At the end, I got the remark "This was by far the best interview I conducted" (and I was the last candidate to get interviewed!)
Answer the questions with total honesty and keep them involved with intriguing stories that depict your strengths or weaknesses. Interest them with your hobbies and be ready to answer questions on any hobby! Keep your stories prepared for the happiest moment, failures, things you would change in life etc. Read the book "64 HR interviews" and prepare answers for most of them. This round is mainly to see your confidence, your passion, your liveliness and your enthusiasm for the position.

• 64 HR Questions,
  • Case-in point,
Most of the tips were discussed in respective questions. In general, I would like to say that never lose hope no matter how hard you struggle through the first few days. The moment you lose hope, things start going the wrong way. Also, give the interviews with relaxed and calm mind, after proper sleep. Take the interviews to the direction you want them to go - it can be easily done and I can tell you that from my own experiences. Be honest, otherwise you will take the interview to the direction you don't want it to go!
It is a well reputed firm, a Fortune 50 company and the experience would be a good launchpad for ahead. I wanted a work-life balance slightly tilted towards "life" and Target is the company to go for that (which I came to know from my seniors, glassdoor.com etc.)
There were no specific funny moments as such but overall, the interviews were relaxed and the interviewers were very friendly and cheerful. So I had some great moments while sharing my hobbies (eg. I told them I like to read poems so they asked me to recite one!) etc.

Mindtree software engineer interview

Pranav KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at B P Poddar Institute of management and technology for Software Engineer role at Mindtree
Test Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: QUANTATIVE
  • Section 2: ENGLISH
  • Section 3: LOGICAL
  • Section 4: TECHNICAL
First round was aptitude test organised by our college through AMCAT
It had 4 section –
1. English – 25 questions (25 minutes)
2. Quantitative – 25 questions (35 minutes)
3. Technical – 25 questions (35 minutes)
4. Logical – 24 questions (35 minutes)
Practice previous Amcat papers. Technical was mostly from data structure and algorithm. There were very basic questions from Operating System and SQL. Each section had individual cut off . It was adaptive test so you can not go back to your previous answer.
If you are good in basics then you can easily score well in AMCAT.There is no negative marking in AMCAT.You have to manage time as some of the questions are lengthy.Follow R.S.Aggarwal book.
Topics to concentrate for Quantative:

Data sufficiency
Objective reasoning

English:

Synonyms/Antonyms/Word Meaning (Vocabulary)
Complete the Sentence (Grammar)
Spot error/Correct sentence (Grammar/sentence construction)
Sentence Ordering (Comprehension skills)
Questions based on passage (Comprehension skills)

Eligibility Criteria:

10th and 12th percentage - 65%
Aggregate of 60% in Engineering (BE / B.Tech/MCA only)
Please note the percentage calculation in case of CGPA:
Total marks obtained from in all the subjects from the first to last semester divided by total of maximum marks in all the subjects from first to last semester.
Candidates need to clear all exams before joining & should come with Degree Certificates
At the time of recruitment, Mindtree allow candidates to appear for the selection/interview process if they have less than 2 backlogs
Only Students from circuit branches can take part in the Mindtree selection process (branches mentioned below) :-
Computer Science and Engineering
Instrumentation Engineering
Telecommunication
MCA

• Section 1: Programming Test
This round is elimination round and your programs will be considered for technical round. There were 2 C/C++/Java programming questions and you need to type the program, compile and submit. Some hints will be on the screen. This test is conducted by Aspiring Minds. You have to focus on basics programming. There were two questions.One question from pattern printing and other one from array/pointer/String.
Focus on basic programming

Thorough discussion about the projects. My major work was on Advance Java, so the interviewer kept on grilling me. Questions on the database, challenges faced, control flow were asked. She even asked me about the implementation of my project. The interview ended with some questions on OOPs concepts.
Prepare both the programs which have been asked in Programming test. You are surely going to face this question. Prepare well with Logics.Apart from that you need to focus on C/Data Structure/DBMS/Basics of Operating System/Basics of OOPS.

C- Pointer/Array/Strings/Structure/Union
Data Structure : Linked List/Stack/Tree/Sorting/Traversal/SEaching

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Introduce Yourself
  • Question 2: About Your Family
  • Question 3: About MindTree
  • Question 4: Why MindTree?
  • Question 5: Plans for Higher Study
  • Question 6: About Relocation
  • Question 7: Any Question?
This was end of d interview, thankfully I was able to answer all of them. I was the first candidate to enter .

I hope all that I shared above could help you in your preparation. Be confident and give your best.
In HR round, questions are of fixed type. in every Interview So preparee it from Indiabix.

Confidence is the key in all interview

• Aptitude By R.S.Agarwal,
Videos
  • Mycodeschool.com,
Focus on basics. The "basic" is most difficult to cover :D So Prepare well and be Confident

PayTM software engineer interview

Aishwarya GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Hamirpur for Software Engineer role at PayTM
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

80mins Minutes
  • Section 1: general aptitude
  • Section 2: technical aptitude
  • Section 3: coding questions
General aptitude was easy.It was of 30 mins.
Next technical aptitude and coding questions were of 50 mins duration.
Technical aptitude questions were from OS,C,C++,DBMS.Questions were based on basic concepts.
There were 3 coding questions.
1.A girl eat fish of exact length of 10.She can cut the fish to get the desired length.An array of lengths of fish and maximum possible cuts allowed were given.Find out the max number of fish the girl can eat.
2. A 2-D rectangular board which contains sand grains : 'o' ,obstacles: 'x' and empty cells : '.' .The board is kept vertical. The sand grain can move down into and empty cell but it cannot cross obstacle. find out the final position of all sand grains in the board.
3.It was question on subsequence .
Just keep your basic concepts clear. Practice questions on strings,dynamic programming and recursion.Go through Geeksforgeeks .It'll help you a lot.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Discussion on the rectangular board question asked in prev round.
  • Question 2: How will you implement a shuffle function for a playlist of songs.
  • Question 3: what is memory leak?
  • Question 4: What is the problem with arrays?
  • Question 5: Write a function in javascript to hide text on mouse click.
  • Question 6: a unsorted array was given and a number x.find out the two elements whose sum is equal to x.
  • Question 7: More questions on basic OS concepts related to storage, memory.
The interviewer was very calm and polite. He was giving me hints and enough time to solve the questions.
Keep talking with the interviewer .Discuss your approach. Do take hints they give you.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Puzzle : http://geeksquiz.com/puzzle-16-100-doors/
  • Question 2: What is BST ?
  • Question 3: How many BSTs are possible with two nodes and three nodes?
  • Question 4: How many trees are possible with two and three nodes?
  • Question 5: Puzzle : 100 people are standing in a circle .each one is allowed to shoot a person infront of him and he hands the gun to the next to next person for e.g 1st person kills 2nd and hands gun to 3rd .This continues until one person remains.who is that person?
  • Question 6: what is indexing? Why it is used?
  • Question 7: What are B+ trees?what is the advantage?
  • Question 8: Any questions you want to ask?
I was stuck in one or two questions but they keep giving me hints. Interviewers were very nice. They were asking me the approach for each question. They were very cool.
Stay calm and go ahead. Apply whatever basic knowledge you have . keep asking doubts for the questions if you have any.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked me about the skills i have mentioned in my resume.
  • Question 2: which data structure i like?
  • Question 3: Can you implement a stack using queue.
  • Question 4: two arrays of arrival time of trains and departure time of trains were given. find the minimum no of platforms require so that no collision occurs.
  • Question 5: What is JVM ? Difference between JVM and compiler.
  • Question 6: He asked me to write a html code for a page design he gave.
  • Question 7: He asked me to write a query for a relational schema and problem statement given by him.
He asked me about my projects. What was my role. It was an hour long round. Enough time was given to solve each question.I was asked to write code with minimum complexity.
Keep discussing the questions. Try to reach to the best approach .keep smiling.Never fake your resume.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about Yourself.
  • Question 2: she asked me if i was nervous.
  • Question 3: What do i know about PayTM ?
  • Question 4: Any feature i would like to add in PayTM app?
  • Question 5: What is my favourite app and any improvements in it which i want to implement?
  • Question 6: She asked me about my school and which school i like the most and why?
  • Question 7: She asked me about my family.
  • Question 8: What is my favourite subject?
  • Question 9: Have i ever been to delhi?
  • Question 10: Why do I choose NIT Hamirpur? what do i like about Hamirpur?
The HR was very polite.I was a bit nervous at first but then I was relaxed.
Just be yourself .You are almost done when you are selected for HR. :) Keep Smiling and be confident about what ever you say.

Practise as many questions as you can on geeksforgeeks.

• Algorithms and data structure by Narsimha Karumanchi,
Be confident and have clear basic concepts of all subjects.
My recent project work related to E-commerce and the reputation and ecstatic growth of the company in recent months.
after one of the technical round , interviewer asked me if i had any questions about the company.I asked them what kind of rewards will be given .. do you guys go for trips and get any free coupons :P

Verizon Communications software engineer interview

Sagar PaliwalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Verizon Communications
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

It was 2.5 hour long AMCAT test comprising of Quant, Verbal ability, analytic ability, technical section comprising questions from C, DSA and other computer fundamentals.
The test is not that difficult so the cutoff generally goes high

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Suppose you are recruited as an ECE engineer in IRCTC. Your job is to stop the train accidents that happen every now and then. Use your Applied Electronics to construct a scheme/plan. Tell me how will you proceed?"
  • Question 3: Explain the working of IC 555 timer
  • Question 4: how internet works, Network model etc.
  • Question 5: general question from my CV
Started with a formal "Tell me about yourself". While I continued for 2 minutes, he read my CV word to word. Since I had always been interested in programming and so it was my strong point. But he didn't even ask my area of interest and directly asked me question from core electronics that too application based. The questions were like this:
1. "Suppose you are recruited as an ECE engineer in IRCTC. Your job is to stop the train accidents that happen every now and then. Use your Applied Electronics to construct a scheme/plan. Tell me how will you proceed?"
I was literally stunned at such a question. However I took some seconds to think and gave him 2-3 answers all applying the idea in one way or the other. Like use of modern sensors, RADAR technology, Use of automated baricates at crossings and explained it to him. He wasn't fully convinced but somehow I was able to do OK.
After that i told him that I was more comfortable in programming and computer science subjects. he neglected this altogether and kept asking me ECE questions. Next questions were like "Explain the working of IC 555 timer." I told him straight away that I didn't know it very well.
After this he moved on to ask me the difference between GSM and CDMA technology, how mobile phones work and the whole concept of cellular telephony. I had prepared well for it and told him even more than he was expecting so he was quite pleased to hear it.
Next were some questions from computer networks like how internet works, Network model etc. I told him I was studying CN currently so i gave him the basics of OSI model explaining briefly each of the 7 layers. Also told him about sub-nets, sub-net masks etc.
After this he asked me some general question from my CV about my achievements like KVPY scholarship, NTSE scholarship and about my research paper. I explained it to him to the best I could. Then I asked a couple questions from my side and this interview was over. The whole process took around 35-40 minutes.
For technical, have a solid command over all the fundamentals of important subjects. You need to start early. 3rd year is a good time to plan and start your preparation. In your summer holidays before 7th semester, don't focus your full attention on your training. It is also important but you need to take out some extra time for aptitude building, revising concepts and enhancing your communication skills. Be confident and be honest. Try to make the conversation as interesting as possible. Try to be more interested in the company. If possible, do a little homework about the company visiting your college. It will prove to be useful and certainly will give you an edge above others.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Family, Schooling, Interests
It had hardly been 15 minutes after the completion of my technical interview and I was called for the HR round. Again it started with “tell me about yourself” but this time the lady asked me everything about my family, my schooling, my interests and all. It was a really good 30 minutes spent as the conversation was really interesting. Then she asked me whether I had any problems in relocation. Then it led to a good discussion about how is life different in Hyderabad and Chennai. I asked her a little bit about her education and how she started a formal career in management. She was very happy to respond. Lastly, there were some concluding remarks, a formal thank you and the interview was over.
Make the interview as interactive as possible. Ask a lot of questions. The person should know that you are really interested in the company. Prepare good answers for HR round well in advance.Any extracurricular activities that you have been a part of may come up in the HR/Managerial round. I was asked what have you done in your college life so far other than studies. I had a lot to say in that matter as i was involved in dramatics, debating, quizzing and other activities right from the school level. They may be interested to know how efficiently have you handled any complex or challenging situations in your life. I was the Event Executive of Fashion Show "PANACHE" in BLITZSCHLAG'13. I explained to HR what all I did to make that event a success and she was really impressed with it.
CGPA matters. Not always but definitely it's a point worth considering when the interviewers are confused even after the completion of all the rounds about which students to select.Although not specific to this company, but other companies give a lot of credit to CGPA. It is an important factor along with the 1st written round for the shortlisting of candidates.So, maintain as good a CGPA as you can.In your technical interview you are going to be asked about at least one project that you have been involved in your college life. If some project is mentioned in your CV, it is certain that the interviewer will ask you about it. I have seen discussions as long as 1 hour or more on one's project itself.

Magneti Marelli software engineer interview

Akash SahuFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for SOFTWARE ENGINEER role at Magneti Marelli
Test Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Problem Statement HR Interview Technical Interview Stress Interview

• Section 1: electronis devices
  • Section 2: electronis devices
  • Section 3: control system
  • Section 4: Basic C programming
  • Section 5: MATLAB
  • Section 6: General Laboratory questions
First round of written test is of aptitute and data analysis  . questions are easy 30 questions in 40 . Be fast as time is less.
second round of written test consists of all other section each section involves 15 questions .
Questions are easy  just go through your syllabus , course books  nothing special .
If you are preparing for GATE will be really beneficial  .
for C go trough Depth in C  . very basic questions asked for it.
for MATLAB learn the basic determinant rules questions involved that  .  Only basic of MATLAB  no image processing or higher level programming ..
attempt ass many as questions .. Try to attempt  all sections  . If you are strong in programming make do attempt C and MATLAB portion  . as there is post for software department also  in organisation .   Main department is the core department  for that do attempt other portions  .

They are not gonna to see your certificates  , They are even not much interested in your CGPA .
If your CGPA is low you should have an accurate reason for that if they ask .
Your Resume should be Short and Compact  . Don't make it too large . 1 , 1.5 pages  will be enough  .
the thing which you want to show to HR majorly in your RESUME should be keep at  upper portion , it can be your qualification   , your achievements(IIT rank , KVPY etc.)  or whatever you feels sholud be on top.  you should have deep knowledge about your projects and internship . Each and every thing thing written in your RESUME should be clear to you  and able to explain to them .

Easy not much stress .
Be confident  . try to give your different point of view of a particiular thing  .  don't stop suddenly while saying anything .

Problem Statement

not a easy question as i am not able to give accurate answer.
HR will give some time to solve the problem .
Try to give answer.  even if you don't know try to give different explanation for it  . give 3-4 different explanations.  always trying to solve the question .

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Your Dream
  • Question 2: WHy you want to join this orgainsation
  • Question 3: How much can you work with this organisation
  • Question 4: about your family .
  • Question 5: Firstly about yourself .
  • Question 6: strengths , weakness .
little bit tough . Your anwer should be different . it should not be copied from somewhere .
depends on how you know yourself.
Have smile on your face . Give all answer with smile . don't hesitate . Give each and  every answer .
be fluent . let the HR complete the question and then answer.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Basic C questions . Difference between structure and union
  • Question 2: how can we attach one variable from one file to another .
go through depth  in C .  knows the basic concept of each chapter .  give complete explanation .  be accurate .

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: where will you think about yourself after 3 years i this organisation .

• DEPTH In C,
  • GATE Syllabus,
  • Basic of MATLAB mostly related to determinant.,
Be confident and smile on your face .
good work culture . easy job . not much work stress      .  nice wore location .

good seniors review . Also have chance to go abroad  in early days .
HR had taken about  90% interview while thing me as other student , as he didn't took my RESUME .  by in the last he told the wrong name . I made correction to him by saying that sorry sir it's my mistake that i haven't give you my RESUME  . but actually he hasn't took my RESUME  . means i admire my mistake infact its his mistake  .

Microsoft software engineer interview

Mayank BhuraFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Software Engineer role at Microsoft
Test Test Test Technical Interview Technical Interview

40-50 questions
  • Section 1: C/C++ Aptitude Round
All types of C/C++ Aptitude and I/O questions were asked.
Was not a very easy round.
Prepare from http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c/ and http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c-plus-plus/
I had done everything in these 2 links.
Other than that, you can prepare from "Test your C Skills" by Yeshwant Kanetkar. PDF available online.

• Section 1: Online Coding Round
Two coding questions were asked. It was hosted on CoCubes website.
Questions were pretty basic.
First one was ad-hoc, requiring to count the number of set bits of a number.
Second one was the standard, minimum cost path DP problem.
Prepare from geeksforgeeks, careercup and ambitionbox.
If you know competitive programming, you should not have much of a problem.

• Section 1: Written Coding Round
Had to write code on paper. 2 questions.
First one was to rotate a matrix by 90 degrees. Pretty standard question.
Second one was to remove all negative elements in an array to the right end. Do it without extra memory.
Apart from correctness of solution, they check for code quality. Code written must be clean, indented and with properly named variables and functions.
Keep communicating your ideas to the people who will be supervising the test. They will understand your thought process that way.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Write the backend server code for a tic tac toe game
Wrote the class in JAVA. Explained the methods, and optimized them. Variables were named properly.
Also generalized the class for an nxn matrix tic-tac-toe game.
Interviewer was very friendly. Wrote the code on paper.
Prepare on class design beforehand. They are quite likely to ask you questions on OOP.
Write clean code.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Write a program to store a tree on a file. Also write code to reconstruct the tree from that file. Think of efficient techniques.
Just had to write the functions. Wrote code in C++.
The interviewer tested me on edge cases. Asked me to prepare test cases.
Make sure your code is ready to tackle those dirty edge cases.
Knowing standard library functions is beneficial. Make sure you learn some important ones. They can come in handy.
Write clean code. You can choose any language you are comfortable in.

A good internship helps in the process. I had interned at Google, so I got selected relatively easily as compared to other candidates. Make sure your resume is as impressive as you can make it.<br /> Stay calm in the rounds. That way you can think better.<br /> Communicate with the company officials. They will know you and your thought process that way. <br /> Don't stay quiet in the interview rounds. If you have doubts, ask them. I had made this mistake when they came for internships and did not get selected because I didn't clear my doubts. The interview should be ideally like a discussion, where you present your thoughts and ideas, clear your doubts, and come up with a solution.

• Cracking The Coding Interview : Gayle Laakmann McDowell,
  • Test Your C Skills : Yashwant Kanetkar,
Stay calm. Prepare well.

Focus on the data structures that Microsoft usually asks about.
It is one of the biggest tech giants in the world. I definitely wanted to be a part of it.
Since I had only 2 interviews, while others had 5, I came out so early that they thought I was rejected.

They later discovered, they were wrong.