Software Development Engineer

Software Development Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Amazon software development engineer interview

AnonymousFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Software Development Engineer role at Amazon

• Section 1: (a) Test is divided in two sections : MCQ’s and Coding (b) MCQ’s (Multiple Choice Question’s) are a total of 20 with one mark each for correct answers and 0.25 marks as negative marking for a wrong answer (c) Coding are a total of 2 questions with 10 marks each and no negative markin

1) A, B and C jointly thought of engaging themselves in a business venture. It was agreed that A would invest Rs. 6500 for 6 months, B, Rs. 8400 for 5 months and C, Rs. 10,000 for 3 months. A wants to be the working member for which, he was to receive 5% of the profits. The profit earned was Rs. 7400. Calculate the share of B in the profit.

2) Convert ”(/ (+ (* (+ 2 3) 4) 6) (/ (+ (* 7 3) 4) 6))” into the equivalent infix notation.
a) ((2 + 3) * 4) + 6) / ((7 * 3) + 4) / 6)
b) ((3 * 2) + 4) + 6) / ((3 + 7) * 4) + 6)
c) ((2 + 3) * 4) + 6)) / ((7 * 3) + 4) + 6)
d) ((2 + 3) * 4) + 6)) + ((7 / 3) + 4) + 6)

3) A hash table contains 10 buckets and uses linear probing to resolve collisions. The key values are integers and the hash function used is ( Key % 10 ). If the values 43, 165, 62, 123, 142 are inserted in the table, in what location would the key value 142 be inserted? Linear probing is a method for resolving collisions in hash tables, data structures for maintaining a collection of key–value pairs and looking up the value associated with a given key. When the hash function causes a collision by mapping a new key to a cell of the hash table that is already occupied by another key, linear probing searches the table for the closest following free location and inserts the new key there.
a) 2
b) 3
c) 4
d) 6

4) The percentage increase in the area of a rectangle, if each of its sides is increased by 20% is:

5) The total number of ways in which a 5 digit number divisible by 3 can be formed from the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 without repetition is?

6) Which of the following sorting algorithms does not have a worst case running time of 0(n )

7) Darin is standing on vertex A of triangle ABC, with AB = 3, BC = 5, and CA = 4. Darin walks according to the following plan: He moves along the altitude-to-the-hypotenuse until he reaches the hypotenuse. He has now cut the original triangle into two triangles; he now walks along the altitude to the hypotenuse of the larger one. He repeats this process forever. What is the total distance that Darin walks?
a) 15
b) 12
c) 12/5
d) 46/5

8) If each node in a binary tree has a value greater than every value in its left subtree and less than every value in its right subtree, it is known as
a) complete tree
b) full binary tree
c) binary search tree
d) threaded tree

9) Let P be the quicksort program where the larger of the first two distinct elements is chosen as the pivot element. Which of the following input permutations will lead to the best performance of P?
a) [1 2 3 4]
b) [4 3 2 1]
c) [1 3 2 4]
d) [1 3 4 2]

10) By using some sorting technique, an array of 8 elements was sorted and the sorting algorithm found the largest number first. The elements of the array are in the order: 2 4 5 7 8 1 3 6 after 4 iterations. Based on above condition(s) which statement would be valid?
a) Algorithm would be neither merge sort nor insertion sort.
b) Algorithm would be insertion sort not merge sort.
c) Algorithm is selection sort.
d) None

11) Indicate which is a pre-emptive scheduling algorithm
a) Round-Robin
b) Shortest-job-next
c) Priority –based
d) None of the above
e)
12) Suppose implementation supports an instruction REVERSE, which reverses the order of elements on the stack, in addition to the PUSH and POP instructions. Which one of the following statements is TRUE with respect to this modified stack?
a) A queue cannot be implemented using this stack.
b) A queue can be implemented where ENQUEUE takes a single instruction and DEQUEUE takes a sequence of two instructions.
c) A queue can be implemented where ENQUEUE takes a sequence of three instructions and DEQUEUE takes a single instruction.
d) A queue can be implemented where both ENQUEUE and DEQUEUE take a single instruction each.

13) A man spent 1/3rd of his life as a bachelor. After ten years of his marriage a son was born to him. The father and son died in an accident and at that time father's age was double that of son. What is the father's age at the time of death?
a) 50
b) 60
c) 70
d) 80

14) Two cars start towards each other at the same time. One travels at 60 km/hr and another at 90 km/hr. A bird starts with one of the cars and flies at 400 km/hr towards the other one. When it gets to the other car, it turns and flies back towards the first and continues this to and fro flying when the cars are moving towards each other. How far does the bird travel before the cars pass each other? The distance between the cars is 3000 km.
a) 5000 km
b) 6000 km
c) 7000 km
d) 8000 km

15) A box contains 2 white balls, 3 black balls and 4 red balls. In how many ways can 3 balls be drawn from the box, if at least one black ball is to be included in the draw?
a) 32
b) 48
c) 64
d) 96

16) Big (O) notation...
a) decides the best algorithm to solve a problem
b) determines maximum size of a problem, that can be solved in given system in given time
c) is the lower bound of growth rate of an algorithm
d) is the upper bound of growth rate of an algorithm

17) The post-order and preorder traversal of a binary tree are D E B F G C A and A B D E C F G respectively The in-order traversal of the binary tree is.
a) D B E A F C G
b) E D B G F C A
c) E D B F G C A
d) D E F G B C A

18) If we implement a queue using a circular linked list, what is the minimum number of pointers that would suffice to implement the enqueue and dequeue operations?
a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) as many as the number of elements in the queue

19) 4 out of 15 apples are rotten. They are taken out one by one at random and examined. The ones which are examined are not replaced. What is the probability that the 9th one examined is the last rotten one?
a) 8/195
b) 1/7
c) 56/200
d) None of the above
20) 125 gallons of mixture of milk and water contains 20% water. What amount of water needs to be added to this milk-water mixture in order to increase the percentage of water to 25% of the new mixture?
a) 5.66
b) 7
c) 8.33
d) 9
Coding
1. Given a string containing alphanumeric characters, calculate sum of all numbers present in the string.
Sample Input 1Amazon28Interview2
Sample Output 31
2. Number Game Consider a game where a player can score 3 or 5 or 10 points in a move. Given a total score n, find number of ways to reach the given score.
Explanation There are following four ways to reach 20: (10, 10) (5, 5, 5, 5) (5, 5, 10) (3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5)

Microsoft software development engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Software Development Engineer role at Microsoft
Test programming round case study round Technical Interview HR Interview

30 MCQs questions
  • Section 1: C programming language (20-25 MCQs):
  • Section 2: Data Structures and Algorithms, OS and DBMS (5-10 MCQs):
Some companies don’t make any strict regulations regarding the language in question, but Microsoft always goes with C/C++. The questions are similar to what you would find in books like “Let us C”. Questions regarding pointer manipulation, predicting the output, pre-order postorder increment decrement, structures, arrays formed the majority. · These are their favourite areas of computer science that they choose to focus on. That being said the questions asked in this section were quite few. Maybe 5 or less than that. Questions regarding like memory allocation in OS, preferred data structure for a particular application, properties of database management systems made it in.
1.   While preparing for the aptitude, sharpen your C skills. Give second preference to OS, DBMS and DSA. 2.   Get extensive practice in the most common types of C aptitude questions and give regular online tests. 3.   Cover what you can in OS, DBMS and DSA in the time that remains.

programming round

Once you clear the aptitude you become eligible for the programming round. This round has two questions meant to be solved in C. The focus is on the following aspects and in this particular order:CorrectnessOutput is correct for the given test cases Completeness Output is correct for all the test cases Time Complexity The program has the specified time complexity or less Space Complexity The program does not occupy too much excess space
You don’t have to write the entire programs just the necessary functions to perform the tasks given. The results were declared after a few days when Microsoft visited.
Question1 - Find an element in a rotated sorted array in O(log n) time. For ex. Find 4 in 7 8 9 1 2 4 5
Question2 - With a parent pointer in every node of a binary tree, find the in order successor of a given node. I solved both of these questions, yet my solution for the first one used some amortized amount of time (amortized time is time that is not significant enough to affect the order, that is log n, but it is not too insignificant to be ignored as constant) more than the required time constraint which had me worried a little
Work on getting at least the right answer, worry about the run time and space complexity later. Even people who could get just the right answer made it to the wildcard round

case study round

People who barely managed to get their output right in the last round were eligible for this round. I don’t have details about how this round was conducted since I wasn’t part of it but it is pretty standard procedure, the same kind of GD or case study that happens in most companies

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: : While I read the resume go ahead and introduce yourself.
  • Question 2: : Questions about DSA and DBMS
  • Question 3: Write code for the subtitle syncing application you talked about, not the entire thing, just the crux of it.
  • Question 4: Write code for designing the ADT (Abstract Data Type) for all the classes that might be required to represent the game of chess
Keep it real. Say stuff that is good about you AND makes you a good candidate for the job. You never have more than 3-4 minutes for such questions so focus on conveying what is most important. After general introductions, I talked about how passionate I am about programming and technology in general, how I didn’t just see it as a subject or a career option but something that I enjoyed doing and have successfully used in my daily life. Talk about what values and work ethics you believe in. End it with what qualities you have as a person or as a possible employee. Please note that you should not leave the interviewer on just your words to believe on. Give short descriptive examples to support what you are saying but don’t go on telling long boring stories I gave the required answers. I am not elaborating on this part since this is something that you can answer just by knowing your stuff. It was nothing out of the ordinary but it wasn’t all that easy. DSA and DBMS were among my favourite subjects so I did pretty well.  I wrote the code since I had actually made the application. This is an important question where he was testing whether I told the truth or not earlier. So whatever happens do not lie or make up even a single detail while explaining something, you never know what might come back to haunt you Write code for designing the ADT (Abstract Data Type) for all the classes that might be required to represent the game of chess Me: This was the kind of question that I wasn’t expecting. Also the reason I got this question was that I had mentioned chess in my hobbies. So keep in mind every small thing you put in your resume matters a lot. He allowed me to choose my language of choice so I began with Java and then I did the important part.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why Microsoft?
  • Question 2: You left Barclays for Microsoft?
  • Question 3: What makes you better than you colleagues?
  • Question 4: Write the artificial intelligence logic in code for your Chess representation
Why Microsoft?- Give some answer that is well thought and prepared beforehand.
You left Barclays for Microsoft? -Basically what they wanted to know here is that I don’t have the same plans for Microsoft. I told them Barclays was an investment bank and while I was fortunate to get a chance to work in that great environment I want to start my career in a product based company so Microsoft (Microsoft is becoming a service based company now BTW) Note: If you have done internship somewhere else and have rejected an offer from there, say only good things about your previous employer. Anything else will reflect badly on you.
What makes you better than you colleagues? - Whatever nice things you can say about yourself, everything comes here. Don’t, however mention the negative points of your colleagues, in hopes of making yourself look good. It will only make you look bad.
Write the artificial intelligence logic in code for your Chess representation- Now the fact that this question was asked in HR rather than Tech should give you an idea about the real purpose of this question. When this question was asked we didn’t even have AI as a subject yet. The interviewer knew beforehand that I could not code this. He wanted to see how I would handle it. So after thinking for a few minutes I decided to draw flow charts and map out scenarios

Shouvik RoyFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Durgapur for Software Development Engineer role at Microsoft
Test Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Behavioural Interview

• Section 1: General Aptitude + C/C++ Output
Easy questions on aptitude and output for C/C++.
Try out questions from GeeksQuiz or http://www.indiabix.com/

• Section 1: Coding Round
Questions were easy and implementable within the time given. One was on linked list and the other on array/bit-wise arithmetic.
2-3 Days of GeeksforGeeks would give you an edge in this round. Make sure you document your code with proper comments and write mnemonic variable names. Also if time permits write the logic or algorithm you've used in comments.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions based on resume
  • Question 2: Questions on Java/JVM and OOP
  • Question 3: Question on How to manage yourself and work in a team and your past experiences
The overall experience was wonderful. It was my first interview and i was able to answer most of them. On the behavioral questions your opinion should be clear and you should be able to convince the interviewer properly.
Just be yourself, try to bring topics on which you've worked on earlier into the discussion so that the interviewer takes more time to analyze what you've accomplished. Don't hurry, if you don't know any answer, politely say you don't know it, but you would like to take a try.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions on hobbies
  • Question 2: Questions on my favorite topics in CSE
  • Question 3: Questions on resume + projects + internship
  • Question 4: Questions on Data Structures/ Algorithms
  • Question 5: Questions on Problem designing
  • Question 6: Questions on C/C++ skills
  • Question 7: Pen/Paper coding
My interview lasted for 1 hr 15 mins and I started well with my Introduction and hobbies. It was behavioral initially. Be open  and honest  to your interviewer. Don't speak random stuffs you haven't done as your interviewer can instantly browse on the internet about what you are saying and verify them. Have a good understanding of DS/Algo and know at least one OOP. you should at least master one language, its not a huge bonus if you know a lot of them.
Be clear about what you say and write and instantly correct yourself if you've made a mistake. It shows that you are self-critical and you constantly improve yourself. It is good to accept any mistake you've done. Any code you write on paper should properly highlight your logic used. Its better to write a wrong code and debug/modify it on spot to make it correct rather than writing a code with zero error at first shot. It shows how you learn from your mistakes.
The interviewer wants to see how you adapt yourself and learn, he/she is not interested in how much you know.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions about myself/hobbies
  • Question 2: Questions on resume/internship
  • Question 3: A few technical questions
This round was the final round for Microsoft Internship. It was an AA( As Appropriate ) Round, where you can expect technical as well as HR questions.
Feel confident about yourself and the game plan is again just to be yourself. Do some Research on the company you are sitting for and about their products/services, so that you can show that you are as much interested in joining the company as they want to take you in after clearing all these rounds. Always ask your interviewer some relevant questions, whichever round it may be. This is where you can ask about the company's policies, culture etc.

Just give your best if you are willing for the company and never underestimate your abilities. Have some internships/projects/apps on your resume which you've made. Mention all the relevant work you've done, just don't brag about it. Prepare well for the behavioral questions. Be prepared to admit your mistakes and accept others' solutions.

• Cracking the Coding Interview,
Keep yourself motivated and build your resume. Have good working knowledge and make your fundamental concepts clear. Try to work on projects/internship or summer/winter training courses.
Microsoft was founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen with an objective of "A Computer in every Home", since then Microsoft has carried on its effort and changed the way we do things and interact with others. It has achieved more than its primary objective and its one of the leading software companies in the world. Its exciting to be a part of it and take joy in developing solutions which affect billions of people worldwide.

Abhishek MishraFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Software Development Engineer role at Microsoft
Test coding Technical Interview HR Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: C
  • Section 2: C++,
  • Section 3: General tech
  • Section 4: Quants

coding

Write 2 functions(not entire programs) in C language on cocubes.com platform Q.1 Find an element in a rotated sorted array in O(log n) time. For ex. Find 4 in 7 8 9 1 2 4 5 A binary search technique could also do it in O(log n). They wanted an optimized binary sort and so I felt, the question wasn't clear enough. Didn't attempt it and told the interviewer the reason. Q.2  With a parent pointer in every node of a binary tree, find the in order successor of a given node. Solved only the second, but I ensured it could work on all boundary cases. Results of round 2 were declared on the day Microsoft visited the campus.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: how I would have attempted the first question in round 2
  • Question 2: Asked me my interests?
  • Question 3: How would you find least common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree?
  • Question 4: How would you optimize it for a binary search tree?
  • Question 5: Find a string in a 2D character matrix in any order(horizontal/vertical/diagonal)
  • Question 6: How would you identify two nodes that have been swapped in a binary search tree?
How would you find least common ancestor of two nodes in a binary tree? I said you could use two stacks, push nodes as you traverse and then compare when you are popping. He asked me to explain on the whiteboard. I did, but realised there was a problem, I looked at him and he was there, smiling as wide as he could. I asked for 2 minutes, and then gave him a better approach with a stack and a hash table. He seemed satisfied
Keep talking while you are solving a problem/writing code. This keeps him informed of your progress and if you are lucky, you might receive some help. He repeatedly had been asking me stand up and sit to explain everything on the board. So eat adequately on any interview day.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked me to write a function for reversing characters in a string.
  • Question 2: Asked me to explain my projects.
  • Question 3: a few HR questions about family, achievements, why Microsoft, future pla
Asked me to write a function for reversing characters in a string and left the room. I wrote  4 lines of code to swap characters from ends. A vague question it was, he returned and explained what he wanted later. It was his fault but I politely apologized for not understanding the question. Remember: The boss is always right!

He wanted the string to be reversed alphabetically. So if it was "adecb", it should become "edcba". I wrote code. He had a 2-second glance at it, and then asked for an explanation

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Creative Interview
A happy two hour discussion-cum-interview on designing another Facebook, all data structures, algorithms that can be used and features, optimisations that could be added. I asked him a few conceptual questions related to his subjects of interest and he answered delightfully. He gave me his email ID to contact him for more knowledge and for a second I missed my heartbeat, coz that might mean he won’t meet again. But results were announced and there he was, shaking my hands with a gleaming smile.
Overall, it was a great experience interacting with them. Seemed to be a nice bunch of interesting people, looking for intellectual conversations with students.

Myntra software development engineer interview

Amber MadvariyaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Guwahati for Software Development Engineer role at Myntra
Resume Shortlist Interview Interview Interview

Myntra had conducted a coding test on campus before the start of the placement season with 2 questions, one on stack and other on DP. The eligible branches were Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics & Computing, Electrical Engineering and Electronics & Communication Engineering. I couldn't give the test because my branch was Engineering Physics. However, when they visited campus for interviews on day 2, everyone who had cleared their test was already placed. They looked over some resumes for interviews and decided to interview me, since i had some projects in Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
For the test, the DP question asked was pretty standard, on Longest Common Subsequence. The question on stacks, i dont remember what it was but it was also pretty straight forward. For the test, i would reommend to solve problem from geeksforgeeks. If they do come to resume shortlisting, they are looking for people who have done good projects and internships.

Interview

The interview started off with questions on my general interest in Software Development. The first round had two coding questions, i was supposed to write the code on paper. The first question was to add two numbers represented by linked lists - http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/add-two-numbers-represented-by-linked-lists/. They gave a specific input and asked me to demonstrate step by step in my code, how it would lead to the correct answer. I dont remember the second question, but it was also an easy one on linked lists.
It's ok if you can't code a general solution, if you can write a code which works for the particular input they have given then also it's ok with them. But be thorough with Data structures.

Interview

I wasn't asked to write any code in this interview. They asked me some questions on Machine Learning, because of my projects in them. Then they asked me if i knew graph algorithms. Since i knew BFS and DFS, i told them. They asked the difference between the two. Then they asked me if i knew how to find the shortest distance between two points in a graph. I didn't know Djikstra's properly but i knew it worked on the greedy approach so was able to tell that. Then they asked me how would i find the second shortest path. I tried to answer it with the same greedy approach, but couldn't arrive at the complete solution.
They ask a tough theoretical question. It's ok if you don't know the answer, they only look for your approach.

Interview

They asked me to code one question which was on stacks, i don't remember the question, but it was also not difficult, and i wrote the code for that. Then they started to drill me on my resume, on every project that i had done, every miniscule detail.
Be very thorough with your resume. It's a clear red flag for them if you can't explain something you have written on your resume.

They generally stick to coding only.

• Karumanchi,
  • Machine Learning - Coursera course,
Be thorough with Data Structures and Algorithms and also with your resume.
Wanted a job in Software Development.
My third round started pretty late in the night around 11:30 PM. So, had a walking interview in front of the canteen because the interviewer thought i looked tired and should have a cup of coffee.

Google software development engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Software Development Engineer role at Google
Test Interview Interview Interview

The written round was based entirely upon Algorithms and Data Structures.
Complexity of various operations were asked and a few aptitude questions were present.
Nothing much was asked about Databases etc.

Interview

The interview was 3 rounds of pure technical stuff. The questions were tough. Typically 2 or more questions were asked in each interview (atleast one of which would be a coding question which you had to solve and code within the time limit of 45 minutes for both questions).
I was initially asked about the Euler Tour and how I would code up a solution. I gave the standard graph theory solution for the same. The interview realized that I knew about the problem and switched the problem statement and gave me a problem that I had not encountered before. The idea was to give you an unseen problem and see how you cracked it.

The problem was:- Given a series of overlapping intervals, generate all the event points and the set of intervals that were currently overlapping the event point. eg. for the intervals (1 3) (2 6) (2 4) (3 7)(8 9) the event points would be (1 - (1 3)) (2 - (1 3) (2 6)(2 4))(3 - (1 3)(2 6)(2 4)(3 7))(4 - (2 6)(2 4)(3 7))(6 - (2 6)(3 7))(7 - (3 7))(8 - (8 9))(9 - (8 9)). After solving this problem, I was asked about some general questions about designing distributed databases for a high volume application and distributed data centers and how to adjust for geographically distributed queries.

Interview

In the 2nd technical interview round, the first question was an analytical one about proving or disproving a statement involving a grid of size 2^n by 2^n. The question asked whether it was possible to tile the grid using an L shaped tile of size 2x2 leaving just one square empty. The second question was to code up the delete node operation on a BST.

Interview

This one was relatively easier where the question involved adding 2 numbers of equal number of base 10 digits stored as a singly linked list of digits.
Allowed operations were only forward traversal of the linked list with O(1) extra space and a time better than 2 traversals of the linked list.

Primary preparation was from 2 sources:<br /> 1) In the early stages (about 2 months before Day 0 of placements) - I read through Cormen et al<br /> (Algorithms - MIT Press) and solved problems from Codechef and other sources. I also read through the TopCoder tutorials on Dynamic Programming, Graph Algorithms and Tree Based problems.<br /> 2) In the later stages (15 days before Day 0) - I read through the book "Algorithms for Interviews". It has a number of tough problems on DP, Graph theory and specialized algorithms for specific problems (eg. O(n) solutions for certain cases). Also, I went through the past year interview questions of all the CS companies available - MS, Adobe, Amazon etc. A few days before Day 0, I also went through my previous year notes on Operating Systems, Databases etc.<br /> 3) One thing that I neglected was implementing the code for basic data structures (Tree insert, delete etc.) but I should have done that as part of the preparation as I was caught off guard by one question about my basics. I would recommend reading C++ Data Structures and Algorithms by Lippman. (Some others also recommend C by Kerninghan and Ritchie as a way to brush up your language skills).

• Cormen et al (Algorithms - MIT Press),
  • Algorithms for Interviews,
  • C++ Data Structures and Algorithms by Lippman,
  • C by Kerninghan and Ritchie,
Study hard (especially Algorithms, Graph Theory and Data Structures) for

the interviews. They don't care about HR stuff and they look for high CG candidates.

Intuit software development engineer interview

C KarthikFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Software Development Engineer role at Intuit
Test PERSONAl interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Written round having coding 3 coding questions. All the questions were aimed at testing the DSA fundamentals of the students. The questions were not too difficult or complicated. The main catch in this round was whether the student could write a clean code covering all the test cases possible. The boundary cases were the most important test cases that they were looking for.

PERSONAl interview

Around 18 students were shortlisted from the written round for the personal interviews. The PI started with a group round. Basically this round was to judge the thought process of students for a given problem statement. There was no elimination after this round.

The technical interviews were elimination based rounds. The technical rounds were DSA based mainly. A few questions based on OS, DBMS, Networks were also asked but these were just the basic questions. The first 15 mins of each interview was based on the resume- basically questions on your projects, challenges faced, how you overcame those challenges etc. So be sure you are well revised with your resume. The last 10 mins was meant for the candidates to ask questions to the interviewers. Make most of these 10 mins because the questions that you ask reflects greatly upon your inclination towards the company. Moreover a great last 10 mins can easily make up for some mistakes that you did during your technical interviews.

The HR round was just a formality. For our batch everyone who reached the HR round got selected. So if you make it to the HR round that means the company is genuinely interested in taking you.

The Job profile offered is of Software Development Engineer. Ask questions regarding the growth of the company, the competition that they are currently facing in the market. Even ask about any paradigm shifts that the company is currently undergoing. Ask about you role in the company, your growth, the technology you will be working on etc.
No tips. No hints. No use repeating the same usual stuff again. All the interviews are different. Just be confident and enter the interview room. Rest all will fall in place automatically. Citing an instance from my interview, I started my first technical interview by mentioning my hobby as eating food. The next 10 mins was spent discussing the different places that I have tried in and around mangalore. The interview even went on to ask some nice place to eat ( and he actually went there that night . The point I am trying to emphasize is that interviewers like people who are quite confident and open during the interviews. If you try to fake things then they are smart enough to catch you.

The whole placement process was really exhausting and frustrating. Each rejection just added to the frustration. But finally making the cut was the most rewarding experience of my life and made all the frustration, rejection, exhaustion seem worth it.

Make sure you do a proper background research about the company- their products, their business market etc. Make sure you ask questions during their ppt and give answers to the questions that they throw at you. This will bring you to their notice.

Microsoft software development engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Software Development Engineer role at Microsoft
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

30 minutes Minutes
20 questions questions
  • Section 1: C language
  • Section 2: coding
It consisted of 20 questions primarily on C (What will be the output/error types). 3-4 of these questions were on basic logic, data structure, operating system etc.  30 minutes were given, which everyone found adequate. The test was not very difficult since I was thorough with books such as . Two codes were to be written, compulsorily in C. Both the questions were directly taken from the book Cracking. Question 1: A sorted array is given, but it is rotated an unknown number of times. Find an element in this array. Time complexity should be log(n).  Array example:  15, 17, 19, 50, 1, 2, 6, 8. I did not know how to do it. I tried a modified binary search but it did not work for all cases. So I just used a normal for-loop (Linear Search)Question 2: Find the in-order successor of a node in a binary tree.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 1. Tell me about yourself (This was the first question in every interview I ever gave. So prepare a good answer for it).
  • Question 2: 2. Print first 200 Fibonacci numbers in reverse order. (I did it but it was not efficient).
  • Question 3: 3. Check whether a string is palindrome or not.
  • Question 4: 4. What is normalization? Explain 2NF, 3NF, BCNF. (I didn’t know BCNF).
  • Question 5: 5. What is TCP IP (I could not answer). 6. What is a stack/queue?

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What are indexes, clustered and non-clustered indexes?
  • Question 2: What are the problems in Mumbai and design technological solutions for them. You get a good chance to show your creativity in open-ended questions like these. We discussed the above question for almost 20-25 minutes
  • Question 3: Design the database that you used in your project.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: . What went wrong in the first round?
  • Question 2: . Why is your aggregate so low in comparison to your peers?
  • Question 3: Why don’t you join your father’s business?
  • Question 4: How do you use your technical skills to help him in his business?
  • Question 5: Why don’t you pursue a career in teaching?
  • Question 6: Why Microsoft?
  • Question 7: What was your role in the projects? Which technology did you use and Why?
  • Question 8: Why have you not participated in any coding-competition?
  • Question 9: Why have you not done an internship?
  • Question 10: Why have you not done an internship?

• Let Us C,
  • Test Your C Skills,
  • The Coding Interview ,

Amazon software development engineer interview

Amit PandeyFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Allahabad for Software Development Engineer role at Amazon
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Coding
  • Section 2: MCQs
On campus coding round.29 shortlisted from approx 500 students.
20 MCQs and 2 coding questions.
The coding questions carried equal and high weightage as compared to the MCQs.The coding questions were
1. Check whether a linked list is a palindrome or not.
2.Print a 2D matrix in a spiral manner
Selection depends on the performance of the students.If you pass all the test cases in both the coding questions fully, then you might be shortlisted.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: http://www.spoj.com/problems/MIXTURES/. They may ask for code.
  • Question 2: Given an infinite stream of string URLs, suggest a data structure to answer the following question in least possible time. Question: Which is the oldest unique (not reapeated) URL till now?
  • Question 3: Discussion about projects.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/connect-leaves-doubly-linked-list/
  • Question 2: http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/count-frequencies-elements-array-o1-extra-space-time/
  • Question 3: Open and closed chain hashing in database. Probing (Linear, quadratic )
Code required for both the questions.Be careful of the corner cases.
Be calm and composed.Sufficient time is given to think and code.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/segregate-0s-and-1s-in-an-array-by-traversing-array-once/
  • Question 2: Implement the "People you may know" feature of facebook with code. Use BFS and counter (for mutual friends).
This interview was last interview before the conversion from intern to full timer (PPO).

Epic Systems software development interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Software Development role at Epic Systems
Test Test Technical Interview HR Interview

40-70 Minutes
  • Section 1: WRITTEN TEST
There were two rounds of test. About half were shortlisted for the round 2. There was no time limit for both the rounds. The evaluation was done on basis of both time and accuracy. It took 45-70 minutes for this round. 1) Section A: general aptitude questions. 2)Section B: A new programming language was given. You have to understand the programming language and answer the questions that follow.
Total number of students appeared for written: 130 around Number of students shortlisted for interview: 20 (Interviews were Telephonic)

• Section 1: WRITTEN TEST
There were four coding questions. We just had to write the functions. Any programming language even pseudo code was allowed. Q1. Convert a decimal number into fraction (e.g. input is 0.5 (float) output will be “1/2” (string)) Q2. There is a question which is slightly modified version of maximum-subarray problem. Q3. Given n. Generate all numbers with number of digits equal to n, such that the digit to the right is greater than the left digit (ai+1 > ai). E.g. if n=3 (123,124,125,......129,234,.....789) Q4. You can swap only two consecutive elements. You have to show all steps to convert a string into another string (both strings will be anagrams of each other). E.g. GUM to MUGGUM

GMU

MGU

MUG

Round 3: Telephonic Interview (15-30 minutes) Technical: Questions were from resume only. They will ask about any project and various technologies in it.

Round 4: Telephonic Interview (15-30 minutes) HR:They asked general HR questions. (Like: Why Epic? Strengh/ Weakness.., etc.)
Written rounds are more important than the interviews. In the written (Round 2) test try to focus on code quality and time. Write comment as much as possible. Don’t waste time in peeping from others. Earlier submission will give you an advantage over others