Software Developer

Software Developer Interview Questions and Tips

Polycom software developer interview

Satya IrukullaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Hyderabad for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Polycom
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude(15 questions)
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning(15 questions)
  • Section 3: Computer Programming(30 questions)
Aptitude and Logical reasoning were easy. Nothing  confusing. Prepare for the popular reasoning models and this part is done. Aptitude is just general Math. programming questions were slightly tricky. Mostly all the questions were of the format finding the output or finding the error in the code.
As i said earlier, prepare popular logical reasoning questions and try to find out some good coding rules (like difference between i++ and ++i )

All the questions were related to Computer Networks, Data Structures and your Resume.  Some puzzles were also asked
Be thorough with your resume. Prepare from CLRS (For any interview). and for networks, prepare for basic stuff and that should be enough.

Prepare some famous puzzles. there are many sites for this

one simple coding question was asked not to test the coding skills, but to see how i work under pressure(The interviewer constantly asked how i could not do such a small question  and tried to annoy me) Then he gave me a situation  and asked me how i would handle it.
Keep calm and crack the interview. If you came up to this round then there is very less probability that you will be rejected. you can answer wrong in this round,but you cannot panic.

• CLRS,
Logical reasoning and Aptitude questions are important. Prepare for them too.

Sapient Corporation software developer interview

Bala KrishnaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jalandhar for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Sapient Corporation

• Section 1: Apptitude
It would quite a simple test, covering basic questions from general mathematics and algebra
Practice "Aptitude" on daily basis

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain Network Layers?
  • Question 2: What is a Dead Lock?
  • Question 3: Explain Paging and Segmentation
  • Question 4: pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins. On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme: The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, the OTHER pirates (not including the oldest) will vote for or against it. If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain. Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at maths for pirates) what will happen?
Technical Interview in sapient will be quite related to understand of your basic concepts. The round also includes Puzzles. Try Practising some random puzzles from internet.
Be active and Interactive. Even, if you do not know the answer, try explaining your approach. That would get you marks.

The HR carries larger wait-age in Sapient. Do not panic. He will give you enough time to settle down by asking background questions. He will only try to analyse the kind of person you are. Be true to yourself and your are sure to be successful

BeeHyv software developer interview

Raunak BhandariFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for Software Developer role at BeeHyv
Test HR Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary. Practice pays a lot. It felt good employing creative solutions.
Meditate an hour before the test, refrain from discussions and fretting over nervousness of yourself or others.
Be absolutely sure about your own assessment of test relevant ability, if you have put in effort beforehand, you will get results.
Aggression is good. Visualize yourself beating the test to breaking in all ways possible.
To do it, you need to believe it.

I didn't let myself be intimidated. Maintained eye contact and answered their questions to the best of my ability, being firm and assertive without being arrogant and acknowledging shortcomings if there were any while providing fixes.
Discussed my projects in a way even the non technical HR people could understand.
People taking the interview are just humans in the end. Predictable. Manipulable. Readable. Deceived or convincable. Never forget that. Never let them get under your skin. Can be impressed if you try hard enough, after all, that is the goal. Convincing them that you are the best investment for their company's money.
Though I mentioned deception, you should try to stay honest and firm, confident in your skills. Lesser loopholes to worry about, more sincere is your confidence.
Never show any sign of a weakness unless explicitly asked, even then only discuss something which you have conquered.

You don't need to play by the rules if you want to make them like you. Avoid generic answers. Be clever, but intuitive, it shouldn't come off as something out of print. Be original and creative.
Be calm and confident. I can't stress that enough.

Dress well.

Aim to leave an impression on anybody you encounter.

Virtusa software developer interview

Nikhil RoheraFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Agartala for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Virtusa
Technical Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: sql command for creating a table
  • Question 2: sql command for inserting details in table,changing them and deleting specifics ones
  • Question 3: difference between truncate and drop
  • Question 4: difference between c and c++
technical interview was easy if u know basics of sql and c++.
try to achieve good marks in the test
sneek out for your marks in technical and aptitude test results in interviewer's hands it will help u make ur mind of the level u need to give to get the job, as few students with low scores also got the job but they had tough interviews

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me abt yourself
  • Question 2: why interest in IT line
  • Question 3: what r ur strengths and weakness
  • Question 4: why should we select you
  • Question 5: discussed abt my test results(positive and negatives)
  • Question 6: he asked about my hometown,mathura and near around area
experience of this round was very cool, interviewer started asking with basic questions . i focussed on my strengths, accepted my weaknesses, used the good result in test in conversation that helped, give an insight about hometown places when he asked. i was little bit nervous and my english was not sounding good enough at that time.
focus on your --1. communication skills
2. english
be calm,
be prepared for basic questions

be smart enough to focus/direct the conversation in ur favour <br /> some students with zero technical knowledge cleared the technical interview with this skill

TCS software developer interview

Nayan PatilFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at PIIT Panvel for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at TCS

90mins Minutes
  • Section 1: TCS placement process consists of two phases - Written Round (Analytical+ Verbal Ability Test ) and Personal Interview.(HR+TECHNICAL INTERVIEW)
  • Section 2: basic questions on mathematics
  • Section 3: basic english grammer realted
  • Section 4: all the programming related questions come in the last..
Written round consists of Analytical Test and Verbal Ability Test. TCS has various criteria for skipping Analytical Test. If you are a geek ( in top five of a few stream like CSE/IT/ECE/EE/Mechanical ) then you will be allowed to skip the Analytical round. Also if you have at least 75% aggregate in 10th and 12th  and a minimum percentage marks in college ( This is set by TCS and varies from college to college, May be 8.5 pointer or 7.90 or as desired by TCS )   then you can skip analytical round. TCS is continuously changing its placement process so prepare for the worst and do not pretend that you can skip the analytical round even if you are a geek.
be well pprepared on ur side....

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: the tech intrview was followed by the hr interview
  • Question 2: basic question on c c++ java
  • Question 3: basics of os, oops, db
  • Question 4: basic of loops
  • Question 5: rate ur self
  • Question 6: wht rur hobbys, strength, weaknesses
  • Question 7: why shud i hire u
  • Question 8: why tcs
be confident while answering.. listen carefuly every question
dont misinterprete the interviewer. be good listener and also honest

develop ur communication skills

• Quantitative Aptitude by Arun Sharma,
  • Verbal and non-verbal Reasoning by R. S. Agarwal,
Videos
  • basic interview cracking skills,
  • ccna,
  • hardware & networking,
be cool n prepare for the test
always share ur problems n clr ur concepts
yet to happen.. preparing fr 8th sem.. i hope i do well der

Microsoft software developer internship interview

NIKHIL MARYALAFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Software Developer role at Microsoft
Test Technical Interview

This would include puzzles, algorithm analysis, logic, probability.
Learn algorithm analysis properly. Try lots of puzzles.

You will be asked to tell your interests and preferred subjects. Only commit to those topics, which you know well and you are prepared to take the questions to any depth. Don't include any skills with partial knowledge in your resume. If you have to include, then make sure you tag them (use * or write "basic" in brackets).
Learn whatever interests you, but make sure to learn it deep. Focus on your strengths. Don't cover up your weakness, tell them you don't know that. Don't try to manipulate the interviewers or you might be lead to a dead end. You will only be interviewed on the things you know. They want to know what you know and how fast you can learn. They don't care about what you don't know. Just be good at something and you will surely make it. All the best

Whatever you learn, be a master in it.

Oracle software developer interview

Suroshree DasFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Oracle

• Section 1: Aptitude ques, non-verbal, logical reasoning and mcq on C and SQL
apti and logical reasoning ques  were not tough and with basic knowledge on C and SQL I could easily solve the questions
Just try to  maintain a good speed while solving

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: ques on SQL,puzzles, C
mostly they focus their questions based on the form that we had to fill. it had details about our extracurricular activities, main courses of interest, training and project work, software languages known, academics.
the form was to be filled with accuracy and only those points about which one is confident enough should be added

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: basic family background, hobbies, academics, why interest in software field, questions from the ppt they presentec earlier
it was just a normal interaction. they wanted to know the kind of person i am, my strengths and weakness. any impressive qualities unique of me. my favourite author. it lasted no longer than 10 minutes . and try to acquire as much background information as you about the company.
try to be honest with your answers. do not fake since they can easily catch you. do not give any such answers about which you are not confident or any view where you cannot defend yourself.

I learned sql from w3school.com.

• Ansi C Programming,
  • Non-verbal and Logical questions from any book for CAT,
Its quite simple, I wanted to land with good job before i leave  nit.
Since it was the first time i was facing an interview, so i asked my interviewer how were my answers.

TCS software developer interview

Soumili SenFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at PIIT Panvel for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at TCS

90mins Minutes
  • Section 1: TCS placement process consists of two phases - Written Round (Analytical+ Verbal Ability Test ) and Personal Interview.(TECHNICA +HR INTERVIEW) to save time .
If you are taking examination of both analytical and verbal part then you will get 10 minutes for verbal part first and then 80 minutes for analytical part. Even if you solve verbal part in less than 10 minutes the remaining time will not be added to your analytical part. Analytical part consists of 30 questions need to be solved within 80 minutes. You can easily navigate the question and exam environment is same as in TCS Open See Same. You will have an on screen calculator. You can also carry a calculator in examination hall. My suggestion is to carry your own calculator because on screen calculator will only waste your time.
develop programming skills, n clear ur basics first, also attnd all questions

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: this round was followed by the HR interview
  • Question 2: tel mi abt urself
  • Question 3: ur strengths weaknesses
  • Question 4: what is multithreaing
  • Question 5: how it is implemented in java
  • Question 6: diff betn while & do while loop
  • Question 7: Does Java support multiple Inheritance? If not then how an interface inherits two interfaces? Explain?
  • Question 8: How will you display data of two tables? Explain.
  • Question 9: diff betn primary & unique key
  • Question 10: rate urself on scale 1-10
clear ur BASIC concepts.. all da besst !!!

think positive develop coding skills n u wl definetly clear all the rounds.

• Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning by Arun Sharma,
  • Verbal and non-verbal Reasoning by R. S. Agarwal,
  • cracking the IT interview,
Videos
  • basic IT interview skills related videos,
  • online tutorials can also help,
  • if u gain skills no need of certiz,
U can Do IT...
have faith in urself n u can achieve IT
looking frwd to IT :)

Morgan Stanley software developer interview

NilFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at VJTI for Software Developer role at Morgan Stanley

Technical on paper test questions:(dis was only for 12 among d 26 shortlisted ppl after apti...others directly had interviews)
5 wer selected in this test who wer nw sent for interviews
TECHNICAL INTERVIEW: (pls list the questions asked in all the rounds)
26 shortlisted after apti (14 directly for interviews & 12 had one more technical on paper test...mentioned above)
der wer min 2 technical rounds for each of them...max were 5

- You are given course dependencies
A->B,C
B->D
C->A
D->nothing
The above dependencies mean...if you want to take course A...you should take courses B and C first....To take B,Course D must be taken first....D is an independent course and can be taken without any prior requirements.
Now you are told these dependencies.Come up with an appropriate data structure to represent these dependencies.Then write a code that finds out all the courses that the student can take up...in this case the student can first take course D because its independent.Now that course D has been taken he can next take up B as it depends on B alone...But the courses A and C can never be taken because they depend on each other...So here all the courses that can be taken are B and D.
After i wrote the code....he asked for all possible test cases
-Given an array of length N....It can be filled with nos. only from 1 to N....find which nos are repeated in the array
-Given pointers to two nodes in a binary tree....find their least common ancestor...each node has pointer to only the parent node...not the left and right child..
-In a binary tree(Not necessarily a BST)...suppose the weight of any node is defined as the product of the key value of the node and the level of the node(Root at level 1)...find the node with maximum weight in the binary tree
-A sorted array of size n is right circularly rotated k times and this rotated array is given to you as input...Find out the value of k in log n time .
-There are some processes running at time T....and there are processes running at time T+30.
You have to find out
1)Which processes died at time T+30,which were alive at time T
2)Which are the new processes at time T+30,which were not there at time T
3)Which are the processes that were there at time T and are still running at time T+30
What data structure will you use to represent the process lists and write code to find out the answers to the 3 questions above
-Given a binary search tree...and a target sum...starting at the root...which all paths add up to the target sum?...if there are multiple paths....return the path with least no. of nodes.

Virtusa software developer interview

FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jalandhar for Software Developer role at Virtusa
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

In the first round there was an online test. Questions were from aptitude, general English and a simple code( very simple if you have programming skills).
It was purely a knowledge based round so everything depends on your preparation level and a bit confidence.

In technical round interview the process was like this...
I entered in room and greeted interviewer and he asked me to sit down. I handed over my resume to him. His first question was tell me about yourself. Then my projects. After that he came on programming, He asked me very basic concept about C++. Questions were like what is polymorphism, What is encapsulation. He also asked program of fibonacci series. After all these question he again looked at my resume and asked me 'why your CGPA is low?' I said that when i was in my first year i had interest in electronics but later when i encountered with programming i decided to have my career in this field so i could not concentrate on my core subjects.
C++ is '''''must''''' for Virtusa if you are from electronics . I didn't know data structure but c++ was on my fingers. Answer question with confidence.

HR interview was really cool. Interview asked me about myself, my family, real life applications of my project. After that he came on real stuff. He asked question like why do you want to join virtusa? I said virtusa is this .. virtusa is this.....and many more..and in last i said this is i want to join virtusa. Next question was ' what do think about dowry?'. At first i was surprised to hear this question but i realized that interview only want to check my ability to speak on random topic. I answered the question by criticizing dowry and he was pleased to hear my answer. After one or two general HR question like location preference , he told me that your interview is over please wait outside for result. It was really nice to meet you . Thank you.
Never stop speaking in HR interview. They only check your ability to speak on random topics and their general HR question. I was continuously speaking ...please do not bother about grammar while speaking ...just speak with confidence(relevant).
prepare c , c++ and ability to speak in front of interviewer.