Software Developer

Software Developer Interview Questions and Tips

PayPal software developer interview

Aditya V KamathFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Hyderabad for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at PayPal
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: Writing Code on paper
The aptitude test consisted of about 20 questions and had just 20 minutes. The questions were tough and you need speed to solve them. People preparing for CAT and other such exams should be able to perform better. The max score among my batch was 7 or 8.
The coding question was paper based and you had to write C code for a simple question on paper, but design was also taken into account for evaluating the code.
Both get disheartened if you don't do well in the aptitude.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain the concepts of Object Oriented Programming
  • Question 2: Give examples of abstraction and polymorphism
  • Question 3: A simple design question to design classes
The interview was more like a discussion rather than a question answer round. The discussion always went quite off the topic and the interviewer went on to ask other concepts of OS and networks etc.
Be thorough with the core concepts in subjects like OS and networks

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What does PayPal do?
  • Question 2: A simple Machine learning question to use thresholding
  • Question 3: Questions about Software Defined Networking and my project in that field
This interview was a little more of marketing PayPal to me than an interview. He however slipped in the questions given above. The machine learning question was a little too obvious to apply thresholding and I wasted time trying to get better algorithms when he expected only thresholding.
Do not tell you are the topper if you are, because I did and he clearly said they don't hire toppers!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions about my internships at a startup and USC
  • Question 2: Am I considering going for masters
  • Question 3: What makes you want to join PayPal?
This interview was more to get the truth out of me. I have a very research oriented profile and that was evident from my resume. The interview was to find out whether I would really join their company if offered.
If you have a high CG and research experience but still want to go for a job, make sure you tune your resume to prune out the research and only market the side which the company looks for, otherwise the company will reject you.

• Computer Science Concepts
  • OS
  • Networks
  • OOP
  • Machine Learning
Just as a backup since I was indeed planning for a masters program. Highest paying package among the companies at that time.

Cognizant software developer interview

Naresh KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at sri krishna college of engineering and technology for Software Developer role at Cognizant
Test HR Interview

• Section 1: verbal
  • Section 2: apti
  • Section 3: reasoning
to.me totally there were three sections.verbal,apti and reasoning.each section carries 15,15 and 10 questions respectively.to me verabal and apti was little bit easy and it consumes more time to solve the apti questions.so i have been solved 8 apti questions and at last 1minute i.just qlicked the answers for remaining questions randomly becasue we didnt have negative mark and finally reasobing was much easier and solved every answers.
to get selected in the first round you should practice more online tests.then you can easily manage your time.and be cool. so dont worry every thing will become easier and do well.
all the best!!!

when i faced my HR he asked me to tell three things about me, i.have told generosity,confidence and friendship.and he asked me to elobrate it and i have done well and he goes with the projects that i have done .afterwards he asked about my stream and why it.and i have answered that iam from electrical and electronics background but now a days IT has been entered into every sector and without IT there would be nothing in this world.thats why i choose IT.and asked about my extra curricular activities and iam a sports person too and finally few questions from C and C++.
Be confident in your speech and try to answer even if not knows the answer well,because they will see how we are trying to answer so dont hesitate to answer.and keep your mind free and every thing will be alright.be cool and all the best
start to prpare atleast before one week from the interview.and be cool at any situations and to get speak english fluently practice with your friends and try to converse every thing in english even with customer care, it will be funny to and thats make you to survive your interviews easily...
in this company there will be friendly environment and there will be less working pressure and have some cultural clubs to have fun with it
before one week to our placements our friends get started to chat in english and every where we conversed in english it was funny and later we realised how it helped us. so dont bother about others and what they think. just go on with your friends confidently in english...

TEKsystems software developer interview

ShreeyaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for Software Developer role at TEKsystems
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: Quantitaive Aptitude
  • Section 2: Comprehension
  • Section 3: Verbal (other than RC)
  • Section 4: Data Interpretation
  • Section 5: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 6: About company(2 questions)
Level was pretty high in case of Quant. You not only need a lot of practice but also practice of some really good questions.
Other than quant all the other sections are easy and direct.

E-commerce vs Retail Market
They give 10 mins to think about the topic and 20 mins for discussion. Main purpose is to check your communication skills so keep on discussing . Even if you can't think of any new point repeat your points

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: Do you know anything about DBMS? Where is it used?
  • Question 3: Practical example of object.
  • Question 4: Practical implementation of sorting.
There were many other questions other than this but what they were emphasizing was whether you have done any practical implementation of IT or the coding skills. Tell them about your projects and how you implemented the coding part.They are much interested in logic than syntax.
Since I'm from ECE these were the main things I talked about.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Difference between C and C++.
It was much of an interactive session.They again asked about projects-nothing technical only some basic idea. Lasted hardly 10 mins.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Will your family allow you to move to Hyderabad
In this round they mainly explained the salary structure. This one too was of 10 mins.

• Aptitude
  • Communication Skills
  • Basic Technical Knowledge-mainly emphasized on the implementation part.

• Arun Sharma for aptitude,
  • C++,
  • Data Structures,
Even if you don't have excellent coding knowledge do appear for the company. They are not looking for same qualities in each candidate. You should be willing enough to learn.
The company dates back to 1983 with locations in almost every US state. It is the 43rd company in Fortune 100 US companies. You have options to switch within the departments. Other than this the compensation is 6lpa.

Barclays Technology Centre India software developer interview

Tarun PantExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Pool Campus Drive for Software Developer role at Barclays Technology Centre India
Test Technical Interview Case Study Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Written
The question paper was a mix of aptitude, programming of c++ java , sql and reasoning.
There was negative marking set for each questions.
Attempt that portion first in which you are really confident.
Dont try to attempt all questions , as negative marking plays big role.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain the background process that takes place during an atm transaction.
  • Question 2: Cut cake into 8 pieces .You can use knife 3 times only
As Barclays is a bank , so this kind of question is obvious.
Be prepared for technical process that takes place in a usual banking domain.
Also , any type of question whether reasoning based or technical can be asked.
Be confident. Try to tell everything in a straight manner.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A shot fired from a gun pointing towards a tree full of birds. All birds left except one. Why ?
You can put humour while answering as this shows your positivity.
There can be many reason for this like birds ia dead , bird is deaf , bird is of plastic. You can choose whatever hit into your mind.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain projects which you made in college?
Explaining the thing in which you already have knowledge is a plus point.
But make sure you have complete knowledge of your college project as they can ask as many questions as possible because your project is the main thing which can extend your interview time.

• Common Sense
  • Presence Of Mind
  • Positive Thinking
  • Ability To Deliver On A Project
  • C Programming

• .net,
As it is a product based company , so chances of growth is good and pay scale is better.

Bank of America software developer interview

Jayanth Reddy RegattiFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Hyderabad for Software Developer role at Bank of America
Other Interview HR Interview

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions on Data Structures
  • Question 2: Logical Question: You are a captive. If you say the right answer, the assasin will hang you, if you say the wrong answer, he will shoot you. How do you escape?
  • Question 3: Other aptitude questions
One year since I took the interview, so no idea exactly what questions they asked. But I was asked to write the code on paper in front of him and was asked to debug it. Some puzzles and aptitude questions along with other basic coding questions. It was great that the guy was interactive and started asking about my projects and college life.
Btw the answer to the logical question is: I should say " you will shoot me". Paradoxical.
Feel free to ask anything that you would like to know from them. Also frankly say that you don't know a certain topic if you have no clue what it is about. They don't like people wasting their time.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: One coding question.
This was not exactly a technical interview. He asked me to write a code to find the day of week when a certain date in any year of the calendar is given. I answered it and then he starting asking general questions as to why do u want to join the company, etc.
I gave answers to most of them convincingly. But I kept him engaged by explaining my life at college, the extra curriculars I did at college. Also I asked him about his experience as a software engineer. I asked him to reflect upon his career and how I should approach about my career.
The best part about HR interviews is they expect you to ask them lots and lots of questions. The more they are engaged, the more are your chances of impressing and getting selected. And more importantly, ask the interviewer about his experience with the present firm. This also works with my manager when ever he has a one on one with me :P
Cheers and all the best.

• Soft Skills
  • General Aptitude
  • LOGICAL THINKING ABILITIES
  • Coding Skills And Knowledge On Data Structures

SAP Labs software developer interview

AnonymousExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Personal Contacts for Software Developer role at SAP Labs
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Other Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Online Test
It had 5 sections. Personality, Design, Coding, Aptitude, Testing. Personality section had 10 minutes and 60 questions. Design section had 15 questions. Coding section had 2 questions. Aptitude section had 15 questions and they were from moderate to hard level. And Testing had 5 questions. The test was really easy but managing time was the game changer.
Try to spend time efficiently and make good number of attempts in every section. Only Aptitude and Coding sections need separate preparation.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked on Java, C, Data Structures, Algorithms, Puzzles, Paper Coding
Interview focuses on basics. The interviewer was supportive.
Stick do your basics and prepare for them really well. Be attentive.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked on C, Java, DBMS, Data Structures, Algorithms, Puzzles
There was no level difference between the first interview and the second, both were of the same level. The interviewer was highly supportive. He was more excited than me when I told the correct answer. He was giving me some hints in between, clinging onto the hints and making out the answers is important. He explained me few things in the interview which I didn't know and then asked me questions on it. Discussion on projects I did also went on for 20 minutes or so.
Adding on your views to the discussion would always help and show your communication skills also. Don't leave the interview ask a question-answer type of session. Your resume matters. Know about everything you have written in your resume in a depth such that you can build on at least a 10 minute discussion.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: This was a managerial round
Had a good discussion on the projects I was doing, on the courses I took, my interests and everything that was written in my resume.
Go with a clear and fresh mind. Show that you are interested in the company and how your interests align with the company.

Had good and fruitful discussion about everything. My parents, behavior, interests, schooling, college, studies, extra circulars, co-circulars, projects and about the company-we had talked about all these things.
Just talk your heart out. Don't try to bluff and never ever try to impress. Get the discussion going. Add your views to whatever the hr says. Not for just this round but after every round think of some questions you want to ask the interviewer and have them at the back of your mind. When given the opportunity ask them. Don't ask just for the sake of asking. Everyone has some genuine questions to ask, just think over them and ask them later on.

SPRINKLR software developer interview

Saurabh AgarwalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at SPRINKLR
Resume Shortlist Interview Interview

Mention only those projects/works which you feel fully confident on, let any question be thrown your way.
Believe me, a simple project explained in a good way is better than a complex project that scares you going into the details.
A little bit of extra activities (sports/music) helps them picture you as not a total nerd, which might help in front of some interviewers.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Algorithm and Trick questions on Java
They will mostly try to trick you here, even if you are right, they will make you doubt yourself. It's just about believing oneself and answering in one go.
Stick to your answers if you feel it's right, changing it again and again won't do you much good.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Your future interest, interaction capabilities.
This is where you have to be most careful, what they seek is just your interest in the company or infact passion for their work and not leaving them mid-way for higher studies or startup plans.
Diverting talks to some extra-currics might help a lot here specially if they have interest in that too, like the one, I was giving interview to, was wearing a Barcelona cap and I had mentioned that I played football at Inter-Hostel level. So we talked about the recent Premier league for like 10 minutes and the mood was really lightened, thanks to that.

• Algorithms
  • Java
  • Interaction Skills
  • coding
  • C
  • C++
It is never too late to be what you might have been.
The technology (Social-Media Management) they are working on is really interesting to know more about and can be a future pioneer in the coming days.
One of the interviewer I became so friendly with, mid-way through the interview that we added each other right there on facebook.

Rock On software developer interview

Kishore RFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Indore for Software Developer role at Rock On
Test Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: Technical
  • Section 3: Coding
Aptitude had lot of probability questions. And some general questions. 1 very basic coding question. Anyone could have easily coded it.
If you are preparing for CAT, it will help a lot. You can solve basic Aptitude questions from many websites. As for Technical, the questions were not very hard, but not very easy also.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Mostly Web-based questions and about projects you have done
  • Question 2: Mongo DB, AngularJs, BreezeJs, Neo4j skills are very strong plus to have
You should know everything about the projects you have done and should be able to explain properly. Questions were like basic databases, tables, definitions. My internship was about Network Security, and in that they asked what are encryption algorithms used, just basic idea behind it. Like md5, sha1 etc.Having knowledge about MongoDB (and other NoSql dbs) is very helpful. In mongodb, they asked what are basic structures, why they are preferred and when, what is sharding etc.I also had some knolwedge about AngularJs, like basic expressions, data-binding, controllers (can be learnt fast and its easy) etc.. Told them all that.Asked about a Python project, what and how I am doing some things.And about AJAX (had it in my resume).For others, difference between Heap Vs Stack memory allocation, Linked Lists (reverse, find intersection of 2 lists), if sorted LL is good for binary search, how binary search can be done in LL.Basic string manipulations.IF you have knolwedge of Microsoft Technologies like C#, .NET it is also a plus
Learn basic stuff about different technologies. Atelast have a basic idea of differences and know when to use what, like if MongoDB is a better alternative in some cases.Read about Graph dbs like Neo4j and JS Frameworks like AngularJs, Breeze , nodejs is also a plus.It was very basic testing of understanding. No very deep or troubling questions

• HTML
  • Ajax
  • MongoDb
  • AngularJs
"""Have a basic idea of all web technologies, what they are."""

Sapient software developer interview

Bala KrishnaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jalandhar for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Sapient
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Apptitude
It would quite a simple test, covering basic questions from general mathematics and algebra
Practice "Aptitude" on daily basis

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain Network Layers?
  • Question 2: What is a Dead Lock?
  • Question 3: Explain Paging and Segmentation
  • Question 4: pirates of different ages have a treasure of 100 gold coins. On their ship, they decide to split the coins using this scheme: The oldest pirate proposes how to share the coins, the OTHER pirates (not including the oldest) will vote for or against it. If 50% or more of the pirates vote for it, then the coins will be shared that way. Otherwise, the pirate proposing the scheme will be thrown overboard, and the process is repeated with the pirates that remain. Assuming that all 5 pirates are intelligent, rational, greedy, and do not wish to die, (and are rather good at maths for pirates) what will happen?
Technical Interview in sapient will be quite related to understand of your basic concepts. The round also includes Puzzles. Try Practising some random puzzles from internet.
Be active and Interactive. Even, if you do not know the answer, try explaining your approach. That would get you marks.

The HR carries larger wait-age in Sapient. Do not panic. He will give you enough time to settle down by asking background questions. He will only try to analyse the kind of person you are. Be true to yourself and your are sure to be successful

• Basic Concepts of Launguages
  • Operating System
  • Networks

SAP Labs software developer interview

Gulshan KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Srinagar for Software Developer role at SAP Labs
Test Test Technical Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

3 Logical Reasoning
4 Two coding Questions
5.Pattern Recognition
6.Essay writing
Do the coding Question first ,they are mot important ,if ur code doesn't run u are disqualified.
Practice on leetcode
Sectional Cutoff

• Section 1: 1st Technical
Data base design of an ATM.E-R diagrams ,Class diagram and Normalization
Discussion on projects
A simple coding question
Heavy ball light ball puzzle
Cloud Computing

5.Asked me as sql injection
6. AES ,DES
7.Reverse a linked list

Behavioural Interview

The interviewer was above 50.
1.Introduce yourself
2.why sap
3.situation based questions

The lady was tough ...showed her intent in the PPT as well..
1.asked me about profile preference
2.about family
3.where would you see in next 2 years
4.why sap
5.nything about sap not mentioned in ppt(i was like null)
6.location preference