Software Developer

Software Developer Interview Questions and Tips

Amazon software developer interview

Saksham SrivastavaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Amazon
Test Technical Interview Other Interview Other Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: Online test
1 Written Test - (20 MCQ + 2 Coding Questions) on HackerRankAmazon visited our Campus on 28th July. In the morning the recruitment process started with the Written Test. It was taken on Hacker Rank which comprised of 20 MCQ Questions followed by 2 Programming Questions. MCQ Questions usually contain questions on C, DBMS, OS, and 4-5 Logical Questions. One should be aware that the Hacker Rank platform keeps record of how much time you have spent on each Question and after spending so much time did you attempt it or not. The 2 Coding Problems were quite easy. Only speed and accuracy was required to crack this round.Written Round Coding Question -1) A Linked List was given and we had to swap the ith node with (n-i+1)th node.2)(given some intervals), merge the common Intervals.I coded both the problems and passed all the test cases of the first question and half of the test cases of the 2nd Question. By the evening the results of the written round were declared and the Interview Process started. I rushed to the Design Centre and while I was arranging my grade sheets and my resume , something totally unexpected happened. One of the Amazon Employees who was also an Alumni of MNIT Jaipur walked up to me and told me that I have done very well in the Written Test and I was ranked 2nd based on the Written Test. He wished me ‘Best of Luck’ and told me to calm down and give my best. Talking to him really motivated me a lot. At the same time I was shocked that he still remembered my name even after an year, as we had talked only for a couple of minutes during my Internship Process in Amazon in which I was among the last 3 Students who went to the final round but was not selected. Apart from the students shortlisted from the written test, Amazon also shortlists around 5-6 more candidates based on their CGPA and some other factors. But it should be noted that at any time during the Recruitment Process, Cumulative scores can be considered.
CGPA above 8 should definitely be maintained.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A String was given with a lot of words in it and I had to reverse all the words.
  • Question 2: A String was given and I have to swap word by word from the beginning to the end.
  • Question 3: In question 2 when there are ‘n’ in the String whose position shouldn’t get affected during the swapping process.
  • Question 4: Continuation was when more than 1 ‘n’ occur together
The Interview Process started with around 25 candidates. I was among the first few with whom the Interview had started which went on smoothly

Questions of Interview Round II –

1) A String was given with a lot of words in it and I had to reverse all the words
2) A String was given and I have to swap word by word from the  beginning to the end.
3) In question 2 when there are ‘n’ in the String whose position shouldn’t get affected during the swapping process
4) Continuation was when more than 1 ‘n’ occur together.

I was asked to code the above, and told them about the time and space complexities. Then he went through my resume and based on my projects he appreciated my interest in OS. and asked me a Question –

You have a large game and a small memory, so how will you play the game.
I told him the concept of Virtual Memory and how it makes it possible to run such a game. Then he asked me whether there is any limit or constraint on the size of the virtual memory. I explained to him if the amount of memory required at any particular moment of time to run the game, itself exceeds the available size in the RAM for the user, then we won’t be able to play. Then he asked “Suppose you have a 4 GB Ram then how much memory will be available to the user and what will happen to the other memory”. I explained that kernel occupies some memory and apart from that page tables and all are also stored in the memory. Then there were some discussions regarding my projects.
These is some Important stuff which one should not miss while preparing for the interviews :

Languages one should be knowing for Placements:
1) C : For most of the companies
2) C ++ - For Faster coding using Standard Template Libraries and for OOPS Concept3) Java – For some specific companies which are focused on Java

Operating System:
1) Galvin Text Book
2) Video Lectures by Prof. Kamakoti – IIT Bombay (Not available on NPTEL. You can get it from current student of IIT Bombay or take it from me. I have Video Lectures of 2013 Pass out Batch)
3) Good grasp on OS implementation on Linux and Pint OS.
4) Detail Knowledge of How Threading is implemented in JAVA

Computer Networks:
1) Video Lectures by Prof. Sujoy Ghosh – IIT Kharagpur (Available on NPTEL)
2) Good grasp on Linux Networking (Servers and Networking Commands)

DBMS :
1) SQL Queries.
2) Database Implementation in MY SQL (Using B trees)
3) Indexing and Hashing in DBMS
4) Drawbacks of SQL Database
5) No SQL Database – Graph and Document Type Database and how they solve the problems
6) Every minute detail of the Database you have created in your DBMS Project.

Data Structures and Algorithms:
1) Video Lectures on Data Structures by Prof Naveen Garg – IIT Delhi (Available on NPTEL)
2) Video Lectures on Data Structure and Algorithm by Prof. Charles Leiserson and Prof. Erik Demaine - MIT.
3) TextBook – “Data Structures and Algorithms made Easy” by Karumanchi
4) TextBook – “Cracking the Coding Interview” by Gayle Laakmann Founder and CEO, CareerCup.com
5) GeeksforGeeks6) Company Specific Preparation by Practicing Previous Interview Papers

Programming Practices:
1) Codechef or Any other Coding Website: Experience helps to increase your Programming Speed, definitely useful in qualifying Coding Round
2) Standard Template Library in C++ for faster Coding - Hacker Rank Tutorial

Other Stuff to Study:
1) Brain Teasers
2) Design Problems (asked by Companies like Adobe. Detailed Example in Karumanchi Textbook)
3) Logical And Aptitude Preparation – Arun Sharma TextBook
4) HR Interview preparation from Indiabix.com

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: There is a big file containing numbers and we have to sort all of them.
  • Question 2: How to implement word suggestions like that in Eclipse.
  • Question 3: Given 2 integers a and b, the sequence which will be formed is a, b, a+b, a+2b…. i.e Current element = sum of the previous 2 elements. So now given a number k, how to figure out if it lies in the sequence or not.
Around 17 students were shortlisted. The resumes of students and their academic projects were given importance while shortlisting for this round. It started at around 10PM.

Questions of Interview Round III –

1) There is a big file containing numbers and we have to sort all of them.

I mentioned the approach mentioned in GeeksforGeeks that for example the available RAM for this purpose is 100 MB. So we can break the File in chunks of 100 Mb and bring the chunks in Memory and first sort them individually. Then we can prepare a heap containing first elements from all chunks. And keep extracting min from heap and replace it by next smallest element of the chunk it belongs. Then he asked if the number of chunks being formed here are very large, that is the heap I am preparing won’t fit in 100MB, then what to do. I suggested some further modifications and finally he was satisfied with the solution.

2) How to implement word suggestions like that in Eclipse.

I explained that it can be done using Tree Data Structure or using some sort of multilevel hashing in combination with storing words in sorted form. He asked me time complexities and told me to think of further improvements. He wasn’t completely satisfied and moved onto the next question.

3) Given 2 integers a and b, the sequence which will be formed is a, b, a+b, a+2b….

i.e Current element = sum of the previous 2 elements.

So now given a number k, how to figure out if it lies in the sequence or not.

This Question is not as easy as it looks. Here a and b can be negative or positive so the Generated Sequence can contain all positive or all negative or alternate occurrence of positive and negative element in sequence. So till which point should we generate the sequence and decide that k can or cannot lie in the sequence. I wrote a code but he mentioned few test cases in which my code was failing. After a few modifications I was able to write a satisfactory code solving all the test cases.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Given a Binary Tree, if it is a BST or not.
  • Question 2: A stream of numbers are coming and I have to keep track of the kth largest number in it.
I answered both the questions and also mentioned  solution to kth largest if Deletion operation is also there and if it is not. Then he told me to write the code for Heapify Function. Again there were some discussion regarding my Projects.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Summer Internship Project
  • Question 2: Given an Infix expression, how to evaluate its answer.
Questions of Interview Round V -
This round started with a detailed discussion about my Summer Internship Project in Wooqer. After that I was asked to introduce myself. Then he asked me -

1) Given an Infix expression, how to evaluate its answer.

I was asked to write the code for it covering all the cases and I was given half an hour to do it. I wrote it in about 15-20 minutes. Interview of 4th Round got over by about 9 PM, and the results were declared by 11PM.
Amazon mostly focuses on – Tries, Big Data, Hashing, Strings. Apart from my general preparation for the Interview, I had gone through around 60 Amazon Interview Papers available on GeeksforGeeks, so I was totally aware of the kind of Questions I would be facing in the Interview, and prepared myself accordingly. In this year’s Amazon Interviews mostly the questions asked were not directly from GeeksforGeeks. And few questions which were picked directly from GeeksforGeeks, the solution they were expecting for it was better than that mentioned in GeekforGeeks. But to guess such a solution, one should surely be aware of all the existing solutions in GeeksforGeeks.

• Logical And Aptitude Preparation u2013 Arun Sharma TextBook,
    • Cracking the Coding Interviewu201d by Gayle Laakmann Founder and CEO, CareerCup.com,
    Self Projects have a very high weight age in one's selection because this is one of the many things that distinguishes you from other candidates sitting in the Interview. It also shows your capabilities and your field of Interest. Also, Summer Internship surely matters a lot in Companies like Amazon. There was a very detail discussion of my Internship at Wooqer during the Interview Process at Amazon so be prepared.

Microsoft software devolopment ( and ml ) internship interview

Shiva Krishna MFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Software Devolopment ( and ML ) role at Microsoft
    Test Test Group Discussion Technical Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Online Exam hosted on cocubes.com
    The first round was in multiple choice format. Most of the questions were from I/O in C , C++ and Java. There were few questions on operating systems and other topics in CS. Most of them were easy and the only factor is time. You have exactly 30 mins to solve 15 MCQs.
    Be prepared in C , C++ and Java. If you are new to any of these languages , at least have a look at the basic input output functions.
    In my class they basically selected everybody to the coding round. However it is always good to write as best as you can since they look at cumulative score at the end.

• Section 1: Coding : Online
    There was a coding round for the selected students. In my class everyone was selected to this round.There were 2 questions :

1 ) Given a Binary tree find sum of data at all the boundary nodes. A boundary node was defined , which basically evaluates to any node on the left most path , right most path and the leaves.

2) Given 2 numbers in a linked list form i.e each digit of a number in a node of the linked list , return the linked list that is the difference of the two input linked lists.
    Coding is only perfected by practice. Have a good understanding of Data structures and common algorithmic paradigms including DP , Divide and Conquer, greedy etc.

Group fly round (Not exactly a group "discussion" )
    Here's the deal : The group of students selected are seated in a big room. A problem statement is put up as a power point slide ,and you are expected to come up with appropriate data structures and algorithms to solve the problem. There are mentors who assist you ( if needed ). You have to explain your approach and write a (psuedo) code for your idea.

In my case the problem statement was as follows :
    "Consider a game as follows : There is a 4X4 size game board. On each slot in the board a dice is placed. The dice has a character ( a ,b ,c .. ) printed on it. There is a character on every side of the dice. Now find all the words that can be made (in the wordament game style ) by the characters on the top face of the 16 dices. Now also write a shuffle function that shuffles the board.
    It was an easy backtracking question. If you can improve your data structure , it would fetch you extra points.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What is linear regression ? How do you find the estimates of the coefficient vector.
    • Question 2: He drew a distribution of data points into two classes. Construct a decision tree for the distribution. Write pseudo code for the same.
    • Question 3: Discussed about my past internship which was also in ML.
    Basically I applied for a machine learning profile. So all the technical questions were from basics of ML. If you have good basics in ML , the interview is very easy. I was doing ML this semester only. So he might have limited with basics :P
    Tell your mentor if you are not aware of a particular approach to ML classification( or regression) . He ll teach you the basics(literally :P ) and then ask questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Consider the Uber cabs company. There are many factors that determine the availability of the drivers and the demand of the users. Model this scenario from an ML perspective and optimize the demand and availability of drivers.
    • Question 2: A simple probability question involving likelihood estimate.
    • Question 3: What are the problems of over-fitting ? How do we remove it ?
    It is okay if you don't come up with great model. I only knew about Linear Regression and modeled it accordingly.
    I took --- > Y = ( Demand/Availability) as my output variable and identified a few input parameters. He was satisfied with that :P

In the third question he elaborated a little more on Bias and variance.
    Basic ML is more than enough.

• Algorithms
    • Machine Learning
    • C
    • C++
    • Java

• CLRS book ( the bible of algorithms ) ,
    Be confident. Dress properly for interviews. If you get the internship more than happy. If not : remember this " Success is going from failure to failure WITHOUT losing enthusiasm
    My long term goal is to be a data scientist. So an ML profile at Microsoft was the best thing I could get now :P

Temenos software developer interview

Saurav KumarFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at VIT Vellore for Software Developer role at Temenos
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Quants
    • Section 2: Verbal
    • Section 3: Logical
    • Section 4: Algorithm
    • Section 5: Situational Based
    I was from civil branch so had the above listed sections for pen paper written test. We had to attempt any 2 of the first 3 and last two were cumpolsory (Same for mechanical branch also). For CS, IT, ECE and EEE there were only 2 sections - first was programming - 5 questions and second was situational based.

All the three sections consisted 5 questions in each sections. Questions were very easy and hardly a pen was needed to solve. Quants section consisted of questions on binary to decimal, pipes and cistern and number system. Verbal section consisted of a passage followed by 5 questions and Logical section consisted of 5 simple sequence and series questions.
    In 4 th section, we were asked to write an algorithm/flowchart for a given scenarion with some contraints - opening a bank account.
    Last section was situational based questions. We were asked to exoress our views in maximum of 100 words on what we would do in a given situation.
    Skip vrbal part as there can be chance of getting wrong. Solve quants and logical as there would be 100% chance of being correct due to very easy questions.
    In 4th section, draw flowchart/tree showing how you will proceed and what you think. Before proceeding further think like a layman person how he will fill the form and then decide how to write an algorithm so that even a layman can understand well how to proceed with that particular form. Show output screens, consider exceptions, find every possible combinations for the various options given in the problem.
    For last question, try to be practical, brief, concise and to the point. Don't write anything in round about manner.
    Above all, as this is pen paper test, write in a beautiful hand writting.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: SQL Querry
    • Question 2: Programming
    • Question 3: Projects
    The technical interview was easy. The questions were straingh forward. Questions were based on projects that I had done. I had Informatics Practices (Java) in class 12 so I told interviewer about database management. I was asked to explain tables used in project and a SQL Querry which I failed to answer.
    Then she asked me to write a program to determine which offer is better to invest if in one interest rate increases by 2 each year and the one in which it increases by 1. I quickly wrote it. She said to improve the DBMS part and applauded for the programming skills.
    Be confident and true. They ask only what you say about yourself. Prepare well for SQL querries as they focus more on SQL. Also practice programming as one queston will be essentially on it. Don't try to learn all languages. Know only one but know well. For civil students, have one project that involves programming. Try to learn MATLAB programming during B.Tech. It will make a good impact.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Project
    • Question 2: HR Questions
    The HR round was very easy. HR was very friendly. I was asked to introduce myself and then he asked me to explain about my project which I had done in MATLAB. He then asked HR questions like why I wanted to join software industry, where I see myslef in 5 years, previous interview experiences.
    Be cool and confident. If you made till HR round, the probability of being selected in 90%. For civil students, try to be familiar with programming languages and SQL. Also try to have some extra skills that make you different from others. Don't think civil engineers only build buildings and roads; there is a lot more for us to do. Its always good to stand away from crowd.
    All the best!

• Confidence
    • Programming Skills In Any Language Like C
    • Database Management
    For civil and mechanical students, if you has C++ or Informatics Practices in class 12, be in touch with that knowledge. They test only basics. Familiarize yourself with OOPS and SQL querries. <br /> Be confident with what you speak and speak in clear voice. If you don't know simply say no. Must attent the interview with a good explanations of questions asked about your weak skills.

• C++ By Sumita Arora,
    • Informatics Practices by Sumita Arora,
    Videos
    • Youtube.com/user/nptelhrd,
    • MATLAB,
    Have good command on basics of what learnt C++ or Java and MySQL in class 12. Try to have a project using any programming skill if you are from non CS/IT background as it will help you prove you interest in programming despite your branch. Knowing foreign language atleast till intermediate level will add stars to your extra skills.
    Interest in programming.
    When HR asked where I see myself in 5 years I said that I see myself in Europe. To which he said that he is hiring for India and when I said that I am hired for India right now but not for 5 years. He smiled with the answer and wished me all the best.

Times Internet software developer interview

Shreyas Ashok KeoteFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Varanasi for Software Developer role at Times Internet
    Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Data Structures, Hash maps, Tree Traversals, Basic pointer questions and Aptitude
    • Section 2: 1 Coding question based on DFS
    The test was of moderate level, the coding question was easy if all the boundary questions were properly considered.
    1. Practice questions on Geekquiz.
    2. Practice coding problems. There are various websites like HackerRank, HackerEarth etc. which have a lot of coding problems.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Introduce yourself.
    • Question 2: Being from a non-CS background (Civil Engineering branch), he asked me which coding language i am best at.
    • Question 3: Find the second largest prime number from a given array of positive integers. Also return it's index in most optimal way
    • Question 4: Given an array of positive and negative integers, find the first missing positive number in the most optimal way.
    • Question 5: Which data structure would i use to program a jigsaw puzzle program and what methods would i use to solve the puzzle.
    The interviewer was friendly and he was interested in the implementation first and then the code.
    Be thorough with various implementations and why they are in practice. Try to know the logic behind each implementation.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Asked me questions based on my CV
    • Question 2: If a person travels from point A to point B at 20 km/h and returns at 30 km/h, calculate the average speed without using pen and paper.
    • Question 3: Asked the above question with different speeds to travelling.
    • Question 4: Given 8 balls of the same properties and one of these balls is defective and is heavier than the others. Calculate the minimum no. of steps to find the defective ball.
    • Question 5: Asked the above question, but this time we don't know whether the defective ball is heavier or lighter than the others.
    • Question 6: 20 red balls and 16 blue balls are present in a bag. 2 balls are removed, if they are of the same color, then they are replaced by a red ball. If they are of different color, then they are replaced with a blue ball. Find the last ball to remain after the entire process.
    • Question 7: What is polymorphism with examples.
    • Question 8: What is operator overloading?. Give an example.
    • Question 9: Differentiate between method overloading and method overriding.
    • Question 10: Do you have any question for us?
    The interviewer was looking for a person interested in problem solving. He was looking forward for loud thinking.
    If you don't know any answer, don't lose your cool. It is never necessary to answer all the questions in an interview. Be confident and think loud, so that if you are going the wrong way, the interviewer can assist you.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Questions based on my resume
    • Question 2: What do i know about Times Internet and the work that happens in TIL.
    • Question 3: Why was i opting for a job as software developer though i was from Civil Engineering background.
    This was the last round and just for formality. The interviewers were looking for a person who would fit in their working culture.
    Be confident and always have a smile on your face. If you are selected for the HR interview, then there is a 90% chance that you would be selected.

• Confidence
    • Communication
    • Puzzle Solving Capability
    • Algorithms And Data Structures
    • Basic C/C++
    Be confident, think loudly, never panic and have a smile to your face always. You have already prepared hard for the recruitment process, it is just the confidence that matters. Don't lose hope, there are many opportunities for you.
    TIL has a wide range of products and the compensation is good
    The HR interview was more of a friendly talk and i shared my hobbies which led to a longer discussion.

Cerner software developer interview

Harshal KhanderiaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore for Software Developer role at Cerner
    Test HR Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
    • Section 2: Technical Aptitude
    • Section 3: Verbal
    • Section 4: Logical Reasoning
    The test had 50 questions which were to be answered in 50 minutes. The test is not very difficult if you got basic skills in aptitude, but the most important thing is managing time. The level of difficulty was moderate.
    Do not waste time on verbal questions which have a direct answer ( synonyms and antonyms) which you are not very sure of.
    Just try making a smart guess when you have a doubt by elimination or something.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Introduce yourself.
    • Question 2: Tell me more about your achievements.
    • Question 3: What sort of projects do you work on ?
    • Question 4: What is the difference between a hardworker and a smartworker?
    • Question 5: What makes you say that you are more of a developer than an analyst ?( I was asked for choice )
    • Question 6: Why is Zuckerburg in news these days?
    I wouldn't say it went great but it was fine. I did not think I would clear it as for most of the questions the interviewer seemed disappointed and wanted more out of me.
    Keep smiling.
    Only put things which you are thorough about, in your resume.
    The interviewer too doesn't know everything, so just be confident in whatever you say-the interviewer might get convinced.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
    • Question 2: Which is your favourite project (among mentioned in resume) and why?
    • Question 3: OOPs concepts
    • Question 4: Explain inheritance.
    • Question 5: Difference between finally , finalize and final.
    • Question 6: Private vs final keyword in considerance with member functions in an application offered to the user.
    • Question 7: Write an interface.
    • Question 8: Difference between Abstract class and Interface.
    • Question 9: Inheritance types in Java.
    • Question 10: Order of multiple catch blocks in a single try block in java. Will it compile if the general catch was before the specific one?
    • Question 11: What do you know about Garbage collection.
    • Question 12: Write code for connecting a java application to the database.
    • Question 13: What is JSON?
    The interviewer was really cool. He realized that I mostly work on java applications so he chose to ask me stuff related to that.
    He didn't want me to know the answer well but just wanted me to approach to it, maybe think more.
    He went through my resume back and forth and asked mostly about all my projects and their logic and how could I take them to the next level.
    Be confident.
    Its okay not to know any answer, just try giving it a shot in the approach.

• Object Oriented Programming (OOP) Basics
    • Basics Of Machine Learning
    • Ability To Analyse
    • Ability To Think Of Creative Solutions
    • Ability To Think Beyond Boundaries
    • Ability To Convince
    • Database Management
    • Java Programming
    I had mentioned Japanese as languages known in my resume. During the HR interview , I was asked to tell "How are you ?" in Japanese. I knew that the interviewer didn't know any of that language but I was a little scared to just tell anything.

You could try giving a shot in a similar situation :P

3DPLM Software Solutions software developer interview

Vaibhav WalekarFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at Government College of Engineering, Aurangabad for Software Developer role at 3DPLM Software Solutions
    Test Technical Interview Group Activity

• Section 1: Aptitude test
    It was basic aptitude test with two parts
    part i) General test: 40 questions, 20 minutes
    part ii) Technical test: 30 questions, 20 minutes
    both of the test were easy.
    practice for time and work, time speed and distance, some what geometry and mensuration, and mainly search for 3dplm and geometric previous year questions

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Given 9 identical coins what number of minimum comparisons between them will be required to determine one of the heavier coin.
    • Question 2: make a program for this where input was no. of coins and output is no. of comparisons required.
    • Question 3: if i am having sorted array and then i am inserting a new element into the array so which algorithm should be used to minimize time complexity
    It was interview of 32 candidates --> 2 day process
    My interview took around 60-70 minutes. Initially I was little nervous, so interviewer told me to be relax and calm (this process is ice breaking process so that candidate can give answers in his normal way). then he started with introduce yourself, for all interviews this is the first question.
    my introduction was not completed as my actual interview began with my achievements. First question was about codevita what is codevita, what types of problem were asked and all that (Codevita is competition organised by TCS every year and it was mentioned in my resume), so after listening to problem statement he changed the problem in his way and asked me to make a program. he asked me one question on java but I am unable to recall it right now. Next was puzzle -> Given 9 identical coins what number of minimum comparisons between them will be required to determine one of the heavier coin.
    I solved this puzzle and i think i was the first one to answer it correctly, so interviewer played the next move.. and that was to make a program for this where input was no. of coins and output is no. of comparisons required. (this was the important question of my interview due to which i got selected).
    he asked about my family, my future plan specially post graduation (he tried to asked me 2-3 times about my post graduation plans)
    Be confident,
    always be ready for data structure, C, puzzles.

Group Activity

this was unique round took around 2hr.
    it was group discussion on puzzle and one program between all candidates and HR also.
    Puzzle: there are 25 horses and you have to find top 3, but problem is track has a size of 5 horses so what is minimum no. of races requiered to find top 3.
    Program: Date validation (this took around 1 and half hour)
    overall motto behind this round was checking candidate's thinking capability, and how he behaves in a group.
    Be confident and share your thoughts, as i think every company basically focuses on how good your thought process is.

• Data Structure
    • logical reasoning
    • programming
    in my second round, for program of date validation

every one was talking about creating a program, but i am bit lazy, so i gave my answer that create a reference of Date class and insert the details using that reference if error occured then that date is not valid

on this HR replied me "anyways you are selected "

and after the end of session everyone came to me to shake hand but i was thinking that was joke and i did not shook hand with anyone.

PayTM software developer interview

Surpriya AroraFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jalandhar for Software Developer role at PayTM
    Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Coding questions
    • Section 2: DBMS MCQs
    • Section 3: OS MCQs
    • Section 4: C Outputs
    there were 20 mcqs and 2 coding questions. It was a pen and paper test. We were given 1 hour to solve it. The mcqs were of average difficulty. The 2 coding questions were:
    1. A variation of the standard Josephus Problem
    2. Find the 'x' largest elements from 'n' input elements without using sorting.
    They focus on algorithms not on complete solutions. Do not leave any question unattempted. If you do not know the exact approach then use Brute-Force approach.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Discussion of previous written test questions.
    • Question 2: Find the odd repeating element from a set of repeating elements.
    • Question 3: A 2D matrix is given which is row wise and column wise sorted. Find a particular element from it.
    • Question 4: SQL Query to find Nth highest salary from table.
    • Question 5: Another basic SQL query.
    • Question 6: Write a function that returns '3' when '4' is passed as an input and vice versa without using if-else condition.
    The Interviewer was very nice. He was focussing on the approach used not on codes.
    Be calm and think by basics :)

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Question on Suffix trees
    • Question 2: Question on Tries
    • Question 3: Question on Ternary search trees
    • Question 4: Question on hash maps
    • Question 5: Question on complexity of an algorithm
    The interviewer asked high level data structures in this round. But again he saw the approach used and not exact solution
    Don't give up. Tell whatever you know

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: 3-4 SQL queries
    • Question 2: Question on SQL joins
    • Question 3: JAVA questions on static block,static function and static variables.
    • Question 4: JAVA questions on memory initialization and references
    • Question 5: Puzzle on measuring exactly half a glass of water
    JAVA questions were based on very detailed concepts. Study OOP properly.
    Maintain your calm :)

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Introduce yourself.
    • Question 2: Why PAYTM?
    • Question 3: Will you go for further studies?
    • Question 4: Why do you think has PAYTM grown so fast?
    • Question 5: (looking at my CGPA of 9) You can get a better company. Then Why PAYTM only?
    Overall the experience was nice and smooth.
    If they allow you to ask them any question then ask them something about the company. They should find you interested in the company :)

• JAVA
    • Operating systems
    • Network Programming
    • DBMS
    Have full knowledge about your projects

• Narsimha Karumanchi,
    Just be cool. Show them you are enthusiastic to learn and work. While prepration focus on Basics and Algorithms. Prepare DBMS nicely too :)
    PAYTM is a perfect mix for the dynamic startup culture and stability of a big organiztaion. PAYTM has an amazing work culture and excellent opportunities for growth

Microsoft software developer interview

Bhumil HariaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at VJTI for Software Developer role at Microsoft
    Technical Interview Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Given an integer array, find all (a,b,c) such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2 Solution is O(n^2) Write code and testcases.
    • Question 2: Find the height og a binary tree without recursion. Write code and testcases.
    • Question 3: Given a bit pattern (in an integer INPUT), and another pattern (in an integer PATTERN, with a number n signifying the number of trailing bits to be considered as pattern - remaining bits are zero. Example: PATTERN=00000110, n=3 represents "110") Find the number of occurences of PATTERN inside INPUT
    • Question 4: Given a pointer to the root of a binary tree, find whether the left and right subtrees are mirror images of each other.
    • Question 5: . Given a string INPUT, find the longest repeating substring.
    • Question 6:
    Given a string INPUT, find the longest repeating substring.

Example: if INPUT = ababcbacabc, answer would be abc.

Write testcases.

The most important thing here is that you're supposed to ask questions to resolve ambiguities - the substrings cannot be overlappping.

Example: If INPUT = seattle, the expected answer is t, not e.

Example: If INPUT = ababa, answer = ab, not aba.

All such corner-cases must be considered.
    Screening interview:

I had a single screening interview for conversion from Microsoft IDC to Redmond. It was more like a chat - in the initial 10-15 minutes atleast.

The first 10-15 minutes was about:

what i learnt at Microsoft
    What was my project about
    What did I learn from my project (my answer to this included both, learning in technical sense and personal development.
    “Why test?” (IDC had selected me as an SDET, and that’s the profile they’d forwarded)

After that he asked what I liked to do (problem solving etc.) On saying “solving new and challenging problems”, he gave me the question:

Given 3 consecutinve numbers, and that the first and third are prime, is it always true that the middle number is divisible by 3 ? Prove your answer.
    This question was majorly to check if I can think and zero in on the solution and the process.

Then, my second (and easy) question was to

Write a code for tokenizing a character stream. The stream starts and ends with a delimiter.
    Example: Input: “<abc def msft pr-st>”
    Here, the start of the string is denoted by ‘<’, and end by ‘>’.
    The expected output is to return(or print) list of individual words. ie: “abc, def, msft, pr-st” (four words)

This is a ridiculously easy thing to code - but they weren’t interested in code. What he wanted to see was:
    1. Approach
    2. If the logic is sturdy enough and considers all test cases
    2. Design choices and decision making (the whole Q revolved around this) - I made a list of test cases that the code should consider. In each case, there is a decision to be made - he wanted to see why I decided what I decided.
    Example:
    Input: “ a<<abc cd>efg>”
    This obviously is something where a normal program would fail. My logic to this was: Discard everything before the first start delimiter, after the first end delimiter.
    So my output: “abc, cd”

That was all.
    Mine was a PrePlacement interview process - doesnt differ much from the normal campus, but competition is awesome.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: 2 magnesium strips and a matchbox are given. Each burns in 60 minutes, with no relation between length burnt and time. Calculate 45 min.
    • Question 2: You have 3 baskets- one containing apples, one oranges and the last containing both. All baskets are incorrectly labelled.You can pick *one* fruit from *any one* basket and are supposed to correctly label all of them.
    • Question 3: You're in the center of a circular pond, with an *intelligent* lion at the circumference - intelligent implies you can't trivially fool it. Given that, your swimming speed = x, lion's running speed on land = 4x, your running speed on land = 4x, Devise an escape strategy so that you can safely escape. Is escape possible?

Myntra software developer interview

Thommandru VishnuFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at VIT Vellore for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Myntra
      Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Basically, it's not resume shortlist, it's a 9 pointer shortlist

• Section 1: Coding
      • Section 2: Outputs
      • Section 3: Aptitude
      The Entire Test is held in HackerRank Platform. it has
      2 coding questions (one easy and one medium)
      2 output questions(medium)
      2 Aptitude(easy)
      1 general Computer science(medium)
      it took me 30 min for each coding questions.I was not known that general question is related to bash commands.
      Practice the Warmup questions in Hacker Rank.
      Do some Basic aptitude questions.
      Thorough with the basic c and c++ concepts

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: All the leaf nodes of tree are doubly linked,print only the leaf nodes of a tree.
      • Question 2: LRU page Replacement Algorithm for large data.
      • Question 3: given a linked list with 2 parameters m,n. Now start reversing the m nodes and leave n nodes and continue it till u reach the end.
      It's completely around the data structures. The questions are a bit tricky but once u think without any tension u can get through easily. The interviewer is helpful and gives u few hints if u catch them at the right point of time u got it.There are 2 more questions which I haven't mentioned.
      got through Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy by Narasimha Karumanchi. It's a best book for the interviews.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Inorder Traversal of a tree
      • Question 2: Inorder Travesal of a tree without recursion(write the code)
      • Question 3: given an array of numbers in which duplicates are there and one triplicate is there. find that number
      • Question 4: explain all the serach algorithm you know with space and Time complexities.
      • Question 5: Given a situation and asks you which search algorithm suits the best in that situation.
      • Question 6: given an array of length n and in which numbers from 1-n will be there and each number can repeat any number of times find out which repeated more number of times.
      The interviewer asked to put everything on the blackboard and write down the code of each and everything.
      Go to the website http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/ and study all the interview questions and modules

It's Technical+ HR interview all the technical questions went around resume. it went around 45 minutes they are very particular about what you wrote in the resume.HR questions are general like
      whats your future plans
      where will u see yourself in the office after 5 years?
      please make sure that whatever you write in resume should be known to you very well.Don't write false things about yourself.And make sure you know completely about the projects you are going to write in resume(atleast the part you worked)

• Programming

• Data structures and Algorithms Made Easy by Narasimha Karumanchi,
      • Test Your C skill by Yashwant Kanethkar,
      Be sure of what you are saying. Don't be tensed and answer to your best.

Yahoo software developer interview

Akash BharadwajFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for SOFTWARE DEVELOPER role at Yahoo
      Test Test

Yahoo is one of the highest paying companies to visit campus; so naturally, its selection process is rigorous. It recently revamped its recruitment policy for fresher’s and only recruits from certain premier colleges. In our college (and to the best of my knowledge, in other colleges as well), Yahoo placed a relatively high GPA cutoff of 8 and restricted the applicant pool to CS candidates only (both UG and PG). As usual the first round was a written test. However, unlike most of the other companies that had come to campus.

The written test did NOT involve general aptitude questions. Most questions were CS specific and pertained to some kind of algorithmic analysis, design of recursive solutions, designing and tracing out an algorithm on a given sample etc. About 50-60% of the candidates were eliminated in this round.

• Section 1: Coding Assignment
        The next round was a coding assignment. For those familiar with code-chef, the coding assignment was similar to a medium level problem (in the practice section) and had to be done in C. The codingassignment by design, required algorithmic optimization to execute within the prescribed time limit. About 10 candidates (8 UG and 2 PG) were selected for interviews. Yahoo generally conducts 4 technical interviews and an HR interview. Typically, 2 of the 4 tech interviews will be with immediate seniors in teams that are interested in your profile. The remaining two will be with more senior engineers (in fact, one of my interviews was with the tech director of a vertical at Yahoo). Interviewers discuss with each other after each interview, and some candidates were eliminated after one poor interview. It is therefore quite important to do

For a computer science student who intends to take up a technical job at a tier 1 company, spend as much time as possible, honing your technical skills. Start well before placement season, if possible, in 3rd year itself

• Cracking the Coding Interview,
          • Introduction to Algorithms(by Cormen et. al),
          • Algorithm design manual by Skiena,
          Apart from technical skills, your communication and social skills are what can make or break an interview and eventually, decide whether or not you get the job. Objectively speaking, most candidates who make it to the final round will be very technically proficient. Therefore, your aim should be to make the decision regarding your candidature anything BUT objective. The real advantage of an interview is to let the interviewer know YOU, beyond just your written test score or your academic credentials. Interviewers like confidence in a candidate and it can even make you seem better than you really are. It will also help to have a few well thought out questions in mind for your interviewer, to show him that you have put in more effort than other candidates to find out about the kind of work going on at the company. One thing youcan do is to find out who all the interviewers are during the pre-placement talk (Yes, attending the PPT CAN BE USEFUL). General Tips Preparation Look up their LinkedIn profiles and note what projects they have worked on or guided. Asking a few insightful questions about those specific projects is a good way to create a good impression of you. It is very difficult to truly judge a candidate during a 45 minute interview, so what matters a lot is the impression left in the interviewers mind about you. If possible, try to establish a social connect during your limited interaction with the interviewers, BEFORE the interviews take place. For example, one of my interviewers, a senior tech manager at Yahoo, was an NITK alumnus. Before the interviews, I spoke to him about his experience in college. As it turns out, he was one of the founders of the web club at NITK, of which I am a member. We spoke for about 15 minutes about how the club has grown and how the club has helped its members ever since.