Signal Processing

Signal Processing Interview Questions and Tips

Texas Instruments signal processing internship interview

BragadeeshFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Signal Processing role at Texas Instruments
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Analog
  • Section 2: Digital
  • Section 3: Signal Processing
The test for Analog and digital was conducted online and Signal processing was offline. Analog tested basic LCR circuits , bode plots and analysis of poles and zeroes. Questions on transistors were also asked. 10/20 would be a good score , give that there is a negative mark of 0.5 for every incorrect answer.

Digital was same format as Analog. It tested knowledge on gates, flip flops and Digital circuits using transistors. The exam was quite challenging.

Signal processing mainly tested DSP (Quiz type questions ) . Quite a lot of questions were based on frequency modulation. A sound knowledge of basics should ensure good marks in test. Marking Scheme +1 for correct and -0.25 for incorrect answer. 20 questions, 90 minutes.

A half an hour aptitude based test which was quite simple.
Ensure sound knowledge on fundamentals of LCR circuits, bode plots, Op-Amps, pole zero analysis and digital circuits. If possible learn basics on biasing of MOSFETs. For signal processing, revision of course work should be sufficient and lay emphasis on basics of frequency and phase modulation.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain Fourier Series based on your understanding
  • Question 2: If two sine waves of different frequency are added will resultant wave be periodic. If so what is period.
  • Question 3: What does odd and even harmonics of fourier series signify
  • Question 4: Explain aliasing, nyquist sampling theorem
  • Question 5: If a sine wave is sampled at 1.5 times its original frequency, can the original wave be retained? (Ans: Yes)
Around 10 to 20 people were selected for technical interview.I was shortlisted for Signal Processing and the questions were quite simple than expected. I was asked to explain concept of Fourier series and based on that questions were asked. In the end I was also tested on DTFT basics and nyquist sampling theorem. It went on for half an hour and ended with a puzzle. No questions on resume was asked.
Be very confident on the basics. Only your basic understanding will be tested. Also during interview make sure you ask enough questions if you don't understand. The interviewer will guide you properly. Remember your approach and understanding of basics concepts will be mainly tested, not formula or answer to the problem.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What was the learning outcome from your leadership experience?
  • Question 2: What was the learning outcome from your (particular) project ?
  • Question 3: Are you into electrical related companies or companies which offer leadership profile?
  • Question 4: One word in which your friends would describe you?
  • Question 5: Anything you would like to ask me?
Around 4 were shortlisted for HR interview. Selection was based on Technical round performance and Resume. I am not sure if technical exam marks were considered for shortlisting.
Questions were asked about my projects and leadership experience. They asked me if I was into core or leadership profile and that if I applied for ITC , P&G etc ( My answer was NO ). My interest in Electrical Engineering should have a positive opinion about me.I had many good projects in my resume. So I was asked about learning outcome of the important project which I worked on and I was able to answer very well. My personality was also tested which I answered quite satisfactorily.

The round ended after I asked the HR about description of kind of projects an intern will be working on and some questions about profile.In general they didn't consider CGPA as a huge factor for hiring interns.
Honestly answer the questions faced and whenever you get chance demonstrate your interest in working for a core company. Get your resume reviewed by seniors and highlight appropriate Projects, PORs , skills and coursework.Make sure you are prepared to answer questions based on your projects, PORs and about yourself.

In general an interest in core profile and the subject would help in cracking Texas Instruments. Focus on the basics for technical test and interview and highlight appropriate point in your resume. Good luck.

Videos
  • Nptel.ac.in,
  • Digital Signal Processing - DSP,
I was interested in working for real time electrical Engineering problems based on my experience with previous projects. So naturally Texas Instruments was one of the best choice for me.
Q: How would your friends describe you?

Ans: philosophical . Happy. :-p

Texas Instruments signal processing interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Signal Processing role at Texas Instruments
Test Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Communication and DSP
Online test to gauge basic understanding of sampling, digital signal processing, FIR filters, basics of multirate signal processing and digital communication.
Revise salient points of DSP course. Read ch 5 of Oppenheim Willsky Nawab: Signals and Systems

• Section 1: Aptitude
Aptitude and quant questions
Practice speed and accuracy as you have to do 20 questions in 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Description of project work and basic questions on DSP and modulation
The interview starts off with a basic description of your own project work. He asks about what you have done and why you're interested the field. This is followed by 2-3 questions of signal processing/digital modulation. The level of difficulty is reasonably high. But it isn't too tough. He will help guide you if you are stuck somewhere but you are expected to reach a conclusion on your own. The interview will last about an hour if you are doing well. You will be given rough sheets and the interviewer will track your working and gauge you accordingly.
The interviewer will be interested in the particular technical details of your project work like your bachelor's/dual degree thesis. Be sure to relate as strongly as possible to communication and DSP. While working out the DSP problems, if you get stuck, be sure to ask and clarify the questions. After he has finished, be sure to summarize the problem and confirm what you are expected to find out. It helps a lot if you think out loud as your approach is what is being tested rather than reaching a final answer. Be sure to state the areas you are certain and uncertain about. As much as possible, explain all your points through digrams, equations and illustrations.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Personal background and experiences
This is a very informal interview, where the candidate talks in detail about the experiences throughout the undergraduate curriculum. The interviewer may identify certain specific parts of your resume and ask you to elaborate on that. The interview then proceeds to TI: what you find interesting in the company and why you want to join.
Openness and frankness is what is expected. Do not try to lie or sound ideal. Be yourself honest about your work and views. Read up on TI and their work. Know the major innovations in recent times.