Senior Engineer

Senior Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Abdul Sayeed KhanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for SENIOR ENGINEER role at Honeywell
Resume Shortlist APTITUDE TEST Technical Interview HR Interview

I was guided by placement office quite appreciably for preparation of resume. First by one to one interaction and second by suggesting to talk to the seniors who are either injob or are hereafter the job. As it is always suggested about resume that, it reflects you in brief, you have to get it as good as you can. I followed the guidelines, made the first draft, got it corrected from some of my friends who are working in industries and got feedbacks from students who have experience from industries.

APTITUDE TEST

It was intimated as aptitude but it included Verbal, Quants and basics of programmingand data structures & algorithm.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions about flight mechanics and dynamics and controls.
  • Question 2: Questions about mechanical engineering.
  • Question 3: Questions on the thesis one has worked on and various projects and internships.
  • Question 4: Questions based on practical situations.
  • Question 5: Questions on basics of material, fundamentals of continuum mechanics, thermal science, parts of engine structure, etc.
I went through two technical rounds and both of these included questions starting from the very basics of materials to the continuum mechanics’ fundamentals and applications. In the first round I was asked about flight mechanics & dynamics and controls’ by giving several conditions of practical importance, some part of engine structures and thermal science, my earlier projects and questions on that, some questions from the internship’s work and M.Tech thesis work. Very fundamental as well as complex questions were asked while explaining about the projects and thesis work. For the second round, I was sent to the panel interviewing for mechanical students and there I was asked questions from various subjects as well as for various conditions given on spot. Including both the technical interviews, I was asked questions from around 9-10 subjects of mechanical engineering. Apart from the questions from the course work, half of the interview was focused on the projects that I did earlier. I was asked to explain about the projects and give good insights of my contributions in that and accordingly I was asked questions from that as well. Later part of the technical round was focused for my thesis work. They started asking about the motivation behind the topic of the thesis and the technical platform set so far for the same. Concluding questions were from the company’s work and how I would be able to relate my expertise and thesis work for their benefit.. In the morning, Honeywell started it’s processing at around 6.30 am and I went for the first technical round at around 7 am. After some basic questions from the resume I was asked about the flight mech & controls. After sometimes the interviewer told me about his background, which was avionics and then he started from that. It must have gone over around 45 minutes. Second round of Honeywell was gruelling and I felt little uncomfortable at some points.

HR round was more or less usual. Description about me and weaknesses in professional life were asked. The tricky one was one particular question about joining Honeywell and at the end of my answer, I was asked to compare Honeywell and the stalwarts of aerospace industry on my answer’s ground.
Since I was looking only for the core aerospace companies, I was not looking very much about the aptitude and GD (specially, GD was not required). I was focusing about the technical side of the preparation, coursework, projects that I have done earlier and thesis work. I used the material provided by SPO for preparing the aptitude test solved some CAT papers and some online resources were useful. Further, I referred some core course works, specifically, thermal, fluid, aerodynamics, propulsion, structures & materials, materials & metallurgy and flight mechanics & dynamics for technical interviews.

Revise the course works, some part of the projects, be focused for profiles and prepare accordingly. Prior knowledge about companies work and the profile helps a lot. Sound knowledge of thesis work, approach and the applications, motivation behind the topic and the work completed till the placement season starts should clearly be checked. If you are not good at programming and DS & algo then revise the basics of these(helps for aptitude). Be mentally prepared for multiple rounds of technical interviews. Shape yourself according to the profile and surf through the company’s site beforehand. Get some suggestions and feedback from seniors(specifically, M.tech students should talk to seniors, fellow students and labmates who have been in industries) for technical interviews. Focus on your approach towards the problem for the worst case. During technical interview, don’t try to brag about the topic that you are not sure about. They sometimes want to test your approach and attitude for the problem given to you (which will be out of your comfort zone) rather than the accuracy of the answer. Since verbal was also the part of aptitude, don’t forget to look that during your preparation. Final Tips : Don’t lose hope and be focused for the profile that you are interested in and narrow down the companies accordingly. It’s all your attitude, past experience (both academics and professional) and preparation for the placements that will help you to nail it. 1st, 2nd or any other day or any other company (as long asthe profile matches with your interest) don’t matter much. At the end of the day, getting in the core-profile is what matters most (if you are interested incore alone) and if it is your preferred company then it’s a boon. Have faith in yourself and believe in the next option if you don’t get the first one.
Other companies that I was shortlisted for : GE, Rolls-Royce, Airbus. Analysis of available options (based on profile, growth, compensation, BrandName, etc) :As for the first day, GE didn’t seem inclined in taking Aerospace Engineering students and I was not looking for Rolls-Royce very interestingly. I was mainly focusing on Honeywell, Eaton and Airbus and was shortlisted to interview with these three. Because of Honeywell’s versatility and the involvement in R&D(as I got the feedback from people working in there), I was focusing mainly on Honeywell. And it was very much favourable from compensation point of view as well. Finally I was selected in both Honeywell and Eaton, and chose Honeywell.

Honeywell senior engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Senior Engineer role at Honeywell
Resume Shortlist aptitude test Technical interview round 1 technical interview round 2 HR Interview

aptitude test

They intimated as aptitude but it included Verbal, Quants and basics of programming and data structures & algorithm.

Technical interview round 1

In this round I was asked about flight mechanics & dynamics and controls’ by giving several conditions of practical importance, some part of engine structures and thermal science, my earlier projects and questions on that, some questions from the internship’s work and M.Tech thesis work. Very fundamental as well as complex questions were asked while explaining about the projects and thesis work.

technical interview round 2

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Description about me
  • Question 2: Weakness in professional life

• Study Material provided by SPO,
  • CAT Papers,
Revise the course works, some part of the projects, be focused for profiles and prepare accordingly. Prior knowledge about companies work and the profile helps a lot. Sound knowledge of thesis work, approach and the applications, motivation behind the topic and the work completed till the placement season starts should clearly be checked. If you are not good at programming and DS & algo then revise the basics of these (helps for aptitude). Be mentally prepared for multiple rounds of technical interviews. Shape yourself according to the profile and surf through the company’s site beforehand.

Get some suggestions and feedback from seniors (specifically, M.tech students should talk to seniors, fellow students and lab mates who have been in industries) for technical interviews. Focus on your approach towards the problem for the worst case.

Bosch senior engineer interview

Hemendra SahuFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for Senior Engineer role at Bosch
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

In this perpendicular company resume was short listed according to their requirements. They needed the candidate who is good on FEM. My whole project is based on FEM coding. GPA  doesn't matters. Many of my friends who have very good GPA (GPA more than me) were not short listed because their project were not matching with company's profile.
Should have good resume format. Highlight Software or some other special  skills. Write about the project in simple language so that every one can easily understand it. Also mention little about practical (application) aspect of your project.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about your self?
  • Question 2: Which- which subjects u have studied? ( according to subject quoted many Q will be asked )
  • Question 3: Q about projects?
  • Question 4: Q about FEM?
  • Question 5: Software skills?
. Listen complete question care fully and than answer. If you don't know the answer say u don't know instead of guessing the answer. Try not to mention those subjects (topics) in which you are not confident. If u are good in some field (software skill, coding, technical extra curricular activity, robotics, etc ) and interviewer do not ask any thing about that in that case you mention it with your own.
Try to talk more about your current project and recent activity.

There are some specific Q that is asked in every HR interview. e.g:Tell about your self?

Family background

Why this company?Your future plans?Salary expectations?Why you why not others ??, tell me 3 reason.job location?Hobby ? Strength and weakness? etc.

And some more similar Q. (I am sure you all are aware this.)
Just answer confidently your first thought. Stay calm and maintain constant face expression through out interview.

Just be  what  actually u are. They check stability of candidate on that particular Job profile, Salary and job location.

• Coarse Material ,
  • Revised important subjects of B tech.,

HP senior engineer interview

Abhishek BandejiaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Guwahati for SENIOR ENGINEER role at HP
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: OOPs/Coding
  • Section 3: DBMS
Questions were normal like any other aptitude or coding tests.
Time given was enough for other sections but you need to hurry a little in aptitude part.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Coding questions on data structures and oops
The questions were basic, some where well known like reversing a link list using recursion, designing of car parking lot using concept of oops, find tree height/diameter, etc.
1. They ask you to write complete code on paper. This sometimes turn out to be a challenging task when you don't have compiler to correct you on basic things. Practice writing codes on paper.
2. They surely ask questions on oops, like polymorphism, inheritance, etc. besides their definition, also practice writing sudo codes to explain them

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Various questions on cv, projects, por's, etc
Mainly i was asked questions on my internship experience and POR's.
They will try to grill you on some questions like 'Why we should hire you?', have a clear reason in your mind. Your other answers should not contradict with your reasons

• Data structures and algorithms made easy by narasimha karumanchi,
  • any book on oops,
I don't know about other colleges but HP recruits small number of students from my university. Coding questions were average level and can easily be tackled. Many students were rejected after HR interview so don't take it lightly. They do grill you in a very good style if they are in doubt about your selection

Honeywell senior engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Senior Engineer role at Honeywell
Test Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: APTITUDE
  • Section 2: TECHNICAL
The test included General quantitative and logical reasoning, verbal reasoning, questions on basic topics of Mechanical Engineering like Thermodynamics, Mechanics of Solids, Energy Systems, Manufacturing etc.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions on Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Turbo-machinery etc
Advanced questions on the topic of your interest specifically related to Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering like Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Turbo-machinery etc, questions like what do you know about the company.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why would you like to join the company ?
  • Question 2: Where do you see yourself 10 years afterwards ?
  • Question 3: Failures and successes during your careeer.
  • Question 4: Questions on resume
Always follow your interest while choosing a suitable job. If you are not sure about your interest, keep options open and try to get information on all those options and select accordingly. Never run after money only. One must prioritize his/her interests first, then the kind of work in the company and then the package.

Prepare for the technical profiles by studying core subjects which interests you the most, but a person needs to have basic knowledge of other topics related to your department also.

Apply for the company only after gaining sufficient knowledge about it. Identify your interest and what kind of work you like, then apply to the company which suits your style of working and is apt for you to pursue your interests. One must not apply to all the companies just because everyone is applying. One must judge whether he/she is capable for that job or not and then decide in which companies to apply.

Try to be confident with your answers and give genuine replies in HR interviews. One must not give vague answers and change views as this would clearly give the indication that you are not able to give clear answers or you are making them up.

Tulluri Vinay KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for SENIOR ENGINEER role at Honeywell
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview HR Interview

Good projects and internships helped me to get through this round

• Section 1: Quant, Verbal, logical reasoning and technical

Questions related to signal processing (included image signal processing as well), control and communications. Also there were few technical questions based on the internships and the projects done. This interview lasted for about 30 mins.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Standard HR questions
  • Question 2: Questions based on my POR's and extra curricular activities
45 mins of HR round. All the standard HR questions were asked and questions were based on each and every point that you have put up in the resume

Bank of America senior engineer interview

Rajeswari VFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at VIT Vellore for SENIOR ENGINEER role at Bank of America

2 hours Minutes
  • Section 1: Verbal
  • Section 2: Quantitative
  • Section 3: Logical
  • Section 4: Programming
It was AMCAT Test. Verbal was bit of tough.Somehow i managed. But I could not get the time for Quants to solve. Logical and Programming was good. Basics were asked in Programming from data structures, C and OOPS.
Kindly Practice well.There is lot of websites for preparing interview test.Avail that.Go through all the Basic concepts from your core subjects.Be perfect about the concepts.Do not get tensed while seeing big questions.Read twice you would feel easy about that qus .Do well.ALL THE BEST. Initially Confidence should be there.

• Programming n ANSI,
  • Aptitude Book-R.S Agarwal,
For time being i dont have any idea about that company since am not entered into.But my seniors and well wishers are saying that its really a good company for freshers to enhance their knowledge.
Ha Ha Ha.. Personal Interview was Good.HR Interview was very chill. It was so excitement one.

L&T senior engineer interview

Shveta GuptaExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through PLACEMENT for Senior Engineer role at L&T

Good detailed interview in terms of technical knowledge
Should be thorough with the projects you have done during the course

• RS Aggarwal for Aptitude,
be confident of what you put in your resume

Technical knowledge regarding projects undertaken during engineering should be sound

Be confident
Opportunity to work in a renowned and core technical company
We consider the interview panelists to be as tough as our viva externals. Interviewers are mostly on your side(contrary to viva professors :P)

Bosch senior engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Senior Engineer role at Bosch
Resume Shortlist Test Interview Interview

Resume based initial shortlisting

Test included Quant, technical and logical aptitude sections (Online). Topics included were
Strength of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, and KDOMS

Interview

Technical lasting around 45-50 min .Technical round will cover up all the profile related questions. Many questions on C and algorithms, microcontrollers and a puzzle.Be ready to be grilled on your internships and projects. Expect basic design concept based questions or core mechanical stuff. (Depends on your Department. So please revise the respective stuff!)

Interview

HR round had normal stuff like Why Bosch? , Higher studies, achievements, Bosch's current work etc.
Please go through their website and have some knowledge about their ongoing work.Surf through all the courses and get your concepts right. Have a look at KDOMS.Stress/Strain equations, engineering drawing, IC engines, Thermodynamics, FEM.Knowledge of C helps too.
Prepare for questions on your resume and be honest. Participate in mock GD‟s and Alumni interviews.Go through GATE material while preparing for the technical part. Check the material on ftp servers.

Bharati Shipyard senior engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Senior Engineer role at Bharati Shipyard
Test Technical Interview

hour Minutes
  • Section 1: Draw the midship-section of a bulk-carrier.
  • Section 2: questions on welding
  • Section 3: Ship Structures and Ship Stability
The pattern was of subjective and objective questions. The cut-off was also unknown,

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: On ship stability
  • Question 2: Give the details about the Bending Moment graph
I believed they liked my resume, and wanted someone to work in research on control systems in their office. They were impressed by my robotics work and my BTP on control systems.
Any core company will ask questions on all the ship structures and ship hydrodynamics courses. Make sure you know basic GZ curves, Bending-Moment curves, hydrostatics, and coefficients like Cb, Cp, Cwa, etc.

DRDO and Brahmos were big failures, as they were the ones I was hoping for. BTP(Final Year Project) on control systems helped a lot.