Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant Interview Questions and Tips

Gaurav Bagaria ExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Senior Consultant role at Ernst & Young

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: P&G has acquired Gillette and is looking for cost reduction across logistics & supply chain. How would you advise them?
I asked a couple of clarifying questions: Does P&G manufacture/market shaving products? Answer: No. Is the integration complete (I got a vague response for this)? Are we defining a strategy for short term or long term? Answer: Both I then classified 3 areas of cost reduction: Sourcing, Manufacturing & Distribution. I also mentioned that we need to take 2 perspectives on each cost reduction measure: Operations View: Operationally how feasible is achieving cost reduction and a Strategic View: What are the strategic implications of the cost cutting measure Once I got affirmation of my structure I proceeded to identify the various broad level levers we could adopt. Sourcing: Rationalize the supplier portfolio, renegotiate contracts and allocate more to those who provide better rates Manufacturing; Consolidate manufacturing if P&G plants can produce Gillette goods. It turned out that only packaging could be consolidated as Gillette goods need specialized machinery that P&G does not have. Also P&G due to its larger size can have economies of scale in maintenance Distribution: I was asked to get deep into details regarding a couple of items and this is where I stumbled a bit. I believe the normal case preparation only lets you get a 30,000 foot overview of the situation. Since EnY also does implementation one must depart from a strategic view and address how these measures can be actually implemented. After all this, I ended the case by suggesting the use of a matrix to plot all measures. The X-axis would be amount of cost reduction that can be achieved and Y-axis would be ease of implementation.
Firms like EnY, Deloitte hire you as consultants for a specific vertical so you need to demonstrate fit in the resume, EoI and interview. It may be good to inquire about specific projects/expertise they have in the vertical of your choice and coming up with examples to demonstrate how your experience will be helpful.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How would you leverage E&Y strengths to help telecom companies grow their enterprise business?
  • Question 2: What are the 2 key areas that would help Indian IT companies remain competitive
1) I said we can leverage our domain expertise to recommend innovative business models to telecom companies that involve triple-play, quadruple-play of services. We can see which model provides greatest benefits and suggest that our client use that. Our implementation focus can also help us
2) For this question, I took the conservative approach and was not very creative. I said that the 2 key areas are: driving innovation and controlling attrition.
When the interview is with people at the partner level, they become more like conversations. In my experience, in such cases the interviewer is looking for cut and dry responses and not the traditional rehearsed answers. Also, they look for a practical approach to problem solving and a passion for consulting.

Sanjay Sharma ExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Senior Consultant role at Ernst & Young

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: I was given an eight pages case write up about a hospital chain in India which was experiencing low assets utilization and stagnant revenues.
The case write up was well written and quite comprehensive so he asked me start with my gut feeling of what was going wrong with the hospital chain. As all of the information was already given to me in the case, I did following things before moving into the interview room: Broke the case analysis in four standard parts: Defined the Problem: A hospital chain which provides treatment to the lower end diseases (non lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, heart related diseases etc.) is experiencing a decline in sales/revenues over the period of last four years. (All the information was given in the write up). Structure: The structure I applied was: Sales are defined: ∑ PI * Qi where Q = number of patients*average patient days and price was price charged per patient. And I stand for different diseases which the hospital serves. I told him that we would we analysing these three components for the client, the completion and the customer preferences. Before proceeding to using the structure, I asked him whether the proposed structure covered everything or there was any critical piece which he thought might be important for the discussion but I missed out, He appreciated my structure and complimented me for coming with such a nice structure☺. Then, he told me that, before I move on to apply the structure, what are the different ways we can break up the revenue so I told him the following ways:
1. By diseases the client serves.
2. By types of customers: demographic, psychological, economic parameters based segmentation.
3. By referral and non-referral patients. (this point came out after he directed me towards this but once I mentioned this he seemed quite happy ☺).
Then we moved on to third part, issue analysis and based on whatever notes I had made from the case write-up, We came to the conclusion that
1. The healthcare market was booming in the life style related diseases which generates higher revenues. The other two competitors had already moved to treating theses diseases.
2. The client was focusing only on the local customers which were quite price sensitive while there was a huge opportunity in the global and medical tourism market where the competitors had already moved in.
3. Insurance companies were playing a significant role in the decision making process of the patients and the client lacked strong partnership with the top firms in this market. All this information was given in the case and I did a good thing of making notes of all these points which came very handy during our discussion.
Finally I recommended the client to:
1. Enter into the life style disease treatment market.
2. Focus on global brand building and attracting pan India and foreign customers.
3. Get into strategic partnership with insurance companies to attract more new and high potential customers.
Do prepare for such case write up based interviews. As a group, we made cases from our work experiences which actually helped a lot in knowing industries well.

KPMG senior consultant interview

Divyanshu Gautam ExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Senior Consultant role at KPMG
Case Study Interview HR Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How would you evaluate a company in telecom infrastructure domain for possible attractiveness for buy-out by a PE fund?
I asked him to explain the business model for telecom infrastructure company. He asked me back as to what I think of the sector. I explained my understanding of the sector. He was not very happy with my sector understanding. Then he interrupted me and asked me as to what are the value drivers of this sector which you would like to advise to the PE firm who is looking for a buy-out. I started with more theoretical approach of explaining the revenue drivers, the cost drivers etc. He did not like the approach a whole lot and asked me in desperation “ Given two companies A and B in this sector, how would you value them and decide to chose which one to buy” . I said I would like to do an NPV analysis and tried to structure it by saying that I would calculate the FCF and the discount rate. He gave the revenue number and the capex for the first year. I started to jot them down so as to start with my valuation. I asked for the numbers of second year onwards and he said that he has given enough information for me to make the decision. I was not very sure how to approach ahead. Then with slight frustration, he asked me as to why should they hire me. This was the first time I had the opportunity to present some strengths of mine and I rattled the prepared answer which was a mix of my personal strengths and the fact that I had worked in technology sector and hence could bring in the domain knowledge from the sector into the deals. He asked me why not IT consulting? I explained him the fact that I wanted to get a broader domain experience of how businesses are run while IT consulting would not give me that broad an experience without bad mouthing IT consulting. At this point the interview ended.
Understanding of some of the key domains help. Though I did build perspective on some of the domains, but clearly missed on this one. I should have done more research on KPMG’s way of interviewing. The SCI arm had recently started in India and this was the first time SCI interviewed. So a good understanding of the interview process would have helped. Please go prepared with some understanding of what kind of case questions would the company ask for. Not every company would be interested in giving cases like the ones given by Mckinsey, BCG etc. Outcome Yes, surprisingly possibly because of IIT brand name on the resume. Seems like the interviewer might have had some bias for that or the fact that the interviewer was frustrated by not being able to spot too many interviewees with good domain understanding.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
  • Question 2: Where are you from? The interviewer also turned out to be from the same place and we had some chit chat around that. This helped me relax.
  • Question 3: Why KPMG?
  • Question 4: Why ISB?
I was able to build a personal connect with the interviewer and it helped me become very relaxed especially after the first interview.

Roumi Gop ExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Senior Consultant role at Ernst & Young

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A North American telecom operator wants to enter the Indian market. They hire you as a consultant. How would you go about helping them in making a decision? And also how can they enter the market?
  • Question 2: Mini case - You are consulting for a top investment bank. You need to help them in deciding what all processes to outsource. Mention a criteria that can be used to outsource?
In this market entry case, I started with the industry analysis in terms of size, profitability, growth potential etc. Then I went on to do the competitor, customer and company analysis (if it can leverage its existing strengths in the Indian market). I spoke about the regulatory issues too. The interviewer cut me short in the analysis and wanted me to focus on the ways the operators can go about the entry in any market and the ways it has been done in India. Here I spoke about options like MVNO (not allowed in India)/ partnership/ JV/acquisition etc. Next she asked me to determine the segment this telco should target. I spoke about the Indian Telecom scenario. The penetration in Urban and rural areas. Also given that this telco has more competencies in dealing with the youth segment in North America, this might be a good segment to target initially. I identified other reasons for this. In the end we had a discussion on the recent entry of Virgin mobile in the Indian market and how they are targeting the Youth segment. In this case along with the use of framework, I was also tested on my understanding of the Indian telecom market. I have prior experience in Telecom. The interviewer was also interested in the implementation issues.

I started by mentioning how the core and non-core activities can be used as a criteria for outsourcing. Then she wanted me to identify the non core processes for an investment bank. Some of the processes I identified were Non core - procurement, financial accounting, human resources, reporting, some part of IT etc.
I was being interviewed for the Telecom, Technology and the Outsourcing vertical. This was reflected in the cases. So knowledge of the sectors you are applying to helps a lot.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Estimate the petrol utilization in Mumbai in a year.
It was a market size estimation case. I approached it by estimating the number of families in Mumbai from its population. Then I segmented the market based on income level and for each segment assumed a “vehicle per family” ratio (both for 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers). Then I assumed the average distance covered for each category and the mileage.
Be systematic in estimation cases and state each assumption clearly. Practice prevents us from making arbitrary assumptions.

Accenture senior consultant interview

Vinayak NandalikeFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Indian School of Business (ISB) for Senior Consultant role at Accenture
Personal Interview Personal interview personal interview

Personal Interview

The interview questions asked:
- Expand on career highlights
- Specific details of your role in product development for
emerging markets
- Details of international work experience
- Since I have done product development in automotive
electronics for considerable part of my career, will I be able to
cope with assignments in non- automotive sectors, such as
telecom, healthcare, etc
- Talk about your extracurricular activities
- Talk about two defining moments in life which have made you
what you are today
- Two positives and two negatives which your family, peers and
superiors see in you. What steps have you taken to improve on
it?

Personal interview

Personal Interview Questions:
- Tools used for product life cycle management
- Career progress
- How much did you score in DMOP?
- What is your CGPA?

personal interview

Personal Interview Questions:
- Career progress
- Will you be able to cope with assignments in non- automotive
sectors, such as telecom, healthcare, etc
- Talk about your extracurricular activities
- Are you willing to relocate to Gurgaon?
- Salary expectation
Work experience and the relevance of work experience for the job description were helpful through the interview.

Madhur MalikExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Senior Consultant role at Ernst & Young

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A retailer needs to set up warehouses. Should he hire a logistics provider or should he do it himself. How would you analyse the same? If he cannot find a good enough logistics provider, what should he do?
I said I would analyse the costs, but as per my personal experience, until and unless the retailer intends to get into the logistics business, he should hire an external logistics provider, since it makes sense to concentrate in the core, and outsource the non-core activities.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How would you measure the number of windows in Delhi
I said I would take the population of Delhi and find out the working population and the non-working population. For the non-working, I would estimate the number of households taking an average of 4 people per household. And then an estimate on the number of windows per house. Taking the number of working people, I would further divide them into people working in different sizes of workplaces, and then estimate the no of establishments and the no of windows in each establishment.
Be confident.