Risk Information Management Intern

Risk Information Management Intern Interview Questions and Tips

American Express risk information management intern internship interview

, 12.2k views
Giridhur SriramFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Risk Information Management Intern role at American Express
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

They shortlisted pretty much everyone who took a probability course.
Well, take a probab course.

This was an Online test, consisting of questions from logical reasoning and probability. IMHO, it was very easy to score full marks in the test, but i am not very sure if they considered it for the final interview shortlist.
Brush up on probability, esp inferential statistics et al.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Seating Arrangement
The usual Run-Me-Through-Your-Resume happened. I found the interview very interesting and quite challenging. It first started with a simple question in combinatorics, the interviewer kept adding incremental questions to the first problem until it became something interesting,a Poisson process, afaik.

They also asked me to calculate square roots of certain numbers by hand correct to 3 decimal places.
Think out loud. And clarify your queries as they come. I asked for a few hints then and there, and they obliged. I think they look at your thinking process more than the mistakes you commit during the interview, which may simply arise due to fear and/or lack of confidence.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: In a desert you have infinite fuel stocked at a place, and you have a car which gives 1 mile per litre., desert is 100 miles long, and car can hold 20 litres, how to reach the end in most optimized way.
This was a standard puzzle question.I told them I had seen this before so they modified it a little, and i used back tracking to arrive at the answer.
2-3 small puzzles later, they asked me about my previous internships, esp about one which was in the domain of ML and Computer Vision. They asked me what problems i faced and how i over came them.
After this, they started telling me about the profiles available, they asked me if I had any questions for them. The interviewers were very friendly, and they were sharing some anecdotes as well.
Pay attention to the PPT/Profile Summary document/Campus Talk. If you are interested in Analytics, its better to do some project or internship in that area, before hand, a small reality check to gauge your interest in Analytics. They ask for a knowledge of Python/SAS/Hive/Excel. Do mention if you have used any of these at some point of time to handle big data or to do data processing.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Life in IIT
This was the final interview, though the order isn't always followed. They asked me about my life before college and now. Asked me about my peer group, professors, environment in general.
Some personal questions followed. And, finally they asked me for a location preference, and that was it.
Well, just talk naturally.

• Maths(esp Probability)
  • Basic Aptitude Topics Like Combinatorics
Dress formally. And keep a smiling face.
Their profile was good based on feedback from seniors, and I was interested in the field, so I applied.
This is the alert