Research and Development

Research and Development Interview Questions and Tips

Samsung Electronics India Software Operations research and development internship interview

Bharat SaiFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at Samsung Electronics India Software Operations
Resume Shortlist Test Test Group Discussion

Being from CS department even though CG is LESS i got through it.
Here Only CG matters..i don't say that it should be too good...but it should be atleast meeting the minimum requirements.

• Section 1: Aptitude
The questions were very good....I loved to spend time on some of these questions
Having experience in writing aptitude test will give an edge...but dont worry even if you doesn't have any experience its ok.The Trick is how you mange your Time.Accuracy counts.So Be in a search for the Next Easiest Question.

60 MINUTES Minutes
  • Section 1: CODING
The questions were not too tough algorithamically.I got the First question in less than 5 minutes but the next two i got compilation errors.
first check all the questions and find which is easy and try attempting it in the order of ease. Doing 2 of 3 Correctly will Guarantee you a pass to the next round.

30 minutes Minutes
Technology is Taking away human Touch.Is it true or Not?
Being My First GD it looked to me as a New Experience.I have Just said how it relates to me and added if it helped an Induvidual like me then I definitely believe that it had done a lot to the world.(said both YES and NO)Thats it!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't Focus on how many point you have to say but Saying the points which are sharp and have a relation to Yourself or a real world induvidual would help.DON'T PANIC.BE COOL.

• Verbal Ability
  • Data Interpretation
  • General Aptitude
Experience helps!!!!But MORE than that TIME "COUNTS

• CAT Books From TIME For Apti Practise,
DON'T feel BAD if you have a low CG when compared to others.JUST BELIEVE in YOURSELF and GOD will definitely help you.THE key is whatever is you might do just go and GIVE YOUR BEST.
HIGH REPUTATION COMPANY,STUDENT FRIENDLY COMPANY,World Class company & Stipend.

Philips Healthcare research and development internship interview

S EaswaranFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at Philips Healthcare
Resume Shortlist HR Interview

I believe that they were looking bio-products design. I had not worked in that field myself but had some courses and experiences in startups which revolved around the same. I made sure my resume emphasized these points.
Simply put, make sure you are what they are looking for for their profile. Don't write something false but make sure you know how to modify the truth to fit their interest

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The questions were simple and 'Get to know you types'
  • Question 2: As my minor was nano, he drilled me on the concepts concerning medical applications of the same
  • Question 3: If I had to propose a project, what would it be?
  • Question 4: What does Philips HIC do?
I have sweat as much in my entire life as I did in that air-conditioned interview room. The interview was through Skype. I made sure that I never gave up on the point that I had made the base for my pitch - 'Openness and ability to form new innovative idea'. I made sure that in every question, I was able to bring out this point and also show him my other qualities complemented the same. At the end I think that it was my confidence that did the trick.
Make sure your body language and voice shows your confidence in what you are saying and make sure you pitch your strengths as often as possible revolving around what they might be requiring you to do at the internship.

• Creative Thinking
Just try and make sure you send out the signals which make them realize you have the ability to work across domains using the specialized knowledge you have in your area of expertise. You need to show them that you can use your knowledge base creatively to solve some issue they might be working on at that time.
The main reason I wanted this was that this had both the ingredients that I wanted for an internship, Research and Development as Profile and an industry exposure in a company like Philips.

Aravind Shankara NarayananFresherSelected
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion

Thanks for letting my resume through even when I submitted it half an hour after the deadline :)

Digital India - Solving the society's problems as an engineer
    Smoothly conducted; no complaints about the organization of the event. (Though Samsung could have done better than keep that "structured GD" which wasn't even a GD :D)

• Communication
    • Basic C/C++
    Don't sweat it if your resume isn't very illustrious. Some basic projects and maybe experience at some startup would be enough for the resume shortlist (that was all I had, pretty much). The aptitude test has many questions but just try to attempt as many as you can in a relaxed manner. The coding test is peace - review basic algorithms (very basic, not even to graphs/linked lists level). And for the GD just stay calm and even if you can't form a well-rounded speech quickly, just mention your salient features. They will get back to you as they do another round through the people in the room. So just stay calm and think during the GD. You don't need to be a Hitler-level speaker to clear this (believe me, I'm far from it :) ). They take many people so don't worry too much about competition either. All the best :)
    I was looking for a CS-based profile but in my heart I preferred one that didn't involve IT (I did apply for those too, for backup). So RnD profiles like Samsung and Adobe fit the bill nicely; I didn't get selected for Adobe though, and people do say that their RnD is better. No way to know, right? :D
    Technically I shouldn't say things about the applicants who took the GD with me (some of them did get through in fact), but I simply have to mention the types of problems and resolutions that were talked about in the "structured GD" - using satellite images to identify and combat poverty, seriously?

And the moderator totally dissed the last guy who talked (out of his turn actually, when everyone was about to leave) - she didn't care about his speech and cut him short saying "let's give you seed money, maybe you'll build a business" !

EdgeVerve research and development internship interview

Prem AbhinavFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at EdgeVerve
    Test HR Interview

2hr 30mins Minutes
    • Section 1: Hackerrank Online Test
    The first question was to modify the given input string based on a sequence of string operations given.I coded in C and used string library functions like strstr to make my job easier but i recommend coding such questions in a language like java or python to simplify the implementation part.The second and third question were testing the mathematical skills and were easy to code. 2 and a half hours is too much for such a test.
    ->Coding in an object oriented language like c++ or python is useful.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
    I was asked about my future plans.I was asked questions about my previous projects and some questions about them like why i had to select certain open source software over the others.
    Confidence is the key here.Also give the interviewers an idea of what exactly you expect out of this internship.Be ready to tell them about the field you are interested in,your past projects,what you like about their company,etc.

• clear picture of what you want to be in the future
    • What You Have Learnt Till Now
    • Knowledge Of Your Resume Points
    • How Much You Are Interested In The Company?
    • Technical Skills
    Only one word..confidence

Sai Teja ReddyFresherSelected
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Programming Question
    A question related to the movement of pieces on a chess board was given.Easy question.Naive implementation gave me full marks.
    Always try the naive implementation and then try to optimize the solution.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Questions related to static and global variables in C
    • Question 2: Some standard Linked List questions
    • Question 3: Questions asking to describe academic projects.
    I only gave the definitions. Didnot know much about usage.
    The Linked List questions were pretty standard and easy to answer.
    Understand various datatypes in C syntax.
    Make sure you are well versed with what you did in your projects.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Some general HR questions like Why Samsung ? etc.
    Aced it.
    Make sure you describe yourself confidently. DONOT STAMMER. Make sure you let them know that you know how great a company Samsung is.

• Graph Theory
    • Algorithms And Data Structures
    • C Programming
    Data structures and algorithms is the most important topic tested.

• Introduction To Algorithms : Thomas H. Cormen,
    • InterviewBit.com,
    Data structures and Algorithms.......again!!

Very important.
    To be honest....my only option.

Adobe Systems research and development internship interview

Nalam Vssk ChaitanyaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research and Development role at Adobe Systems
    Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude and Technical
    The test is conducted in hacker rank in Electrical DCF. The questions are asked in Probability, Coding, Data Structures and Algorithms.
    Just go through your probability notes and DSA notes and your Advanced and Computer Programming lab assignments.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: 100 white eggs and 100 black eggs are distributed in 2 bags and now choosen a egg. The way to be distribute the eggs so that the probability of getting a black egg is maximum?
    • Question 2: Given an array of 1 to 30 numbers put minus before some numbers so that sum of elements in array is zero.
    • Question 3: Given a binary tree print the left most element in each level. Note: Nodes need not have children. It's not complete binary tree.
    I stammerd a bit as it is my first interview but I was able to answer Q 1 and 3 and 2 with a small help as for 2 I was trying for answer which is "Not possible" as the sum of elements is odd.
    Be cool the questions will be easy. You just have to think peacefully and answer them. Question asked doesn't mean it will have an answer.

• Probability
    • Data Structures and Algorithms.

• Course notes.,
    I want to do Reasearch and get patents which will be useful for my Higher Studies.

Mahindra & Mahindra research and development interview

Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Research and Development role at Mahindra & Mahindra
    Test Test Group Discussion Other Interview

• Section 1: Verbal
    • Section 2: Logical
    • Section 3: Numerical
    Online aptitude test - 75 questions in 60 mins (verbal,logical,numerical) the numerical section was very long and some people got stuck here. Do NOT try to attempt all the questions properly, make some educated guess.- No negative marking

Online technical test - separate papers based on the profile chosen, and different questions foreveryone. Medium difficulty (Refer GATE preparation books for study material and stick to basics)

The objective was to speak about any person from the group as to why Mahindra should hire him/her. Ask some friend of yours to speak for you and you can in turn speak for them. Speak to the point, listen to what other people are speaking, will help you once everyone is done speaking and GD proceeds further
      Fill the form provided by M&M people properly as it helps during the GD round.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Questions about your projects
      • Question 2: Questions based on automobile engineering
      PI -Different panel for different profile. The interview (R&D) started with a short intro, followed by questions about your projects (read properly the reports of internships or projects that you have done).This was followed by questions based on automobile engg. (petrol/diesel cycles,turbochargers,gearbox,differential,engine components,materials used, suspension system).The duration varied from 30-70 mins

GATE preparation books for technical topics, watch videos on internet to understand the working principles of various parts, and Get some good book for apti-test preparation and compete with any friend of yours as this will help you with the much-needed speed.
        Do your research about the company before applying, Keep your answers to the point, Do not be in a hurry to answer questions, think and then only reply and also Try to divert the course of interview in the direction of your interests.

Wrig Nanosystems research and development internship interview

Shantini BalakrishnanFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at Wrig Nanosystems
        Resume Shortlist Technical Interview Puzzle Interview Case Study Interview

Have a well written resume. Explain all your achievements in a detailed manner.

Interview Questions
          The interview was based on resume. It started with tell me about yourself . I was then asked to explain about my intern and projects. Proper understanding of the projects done was expected.
          Be confident and be thorough with all the points in your resume.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
            The interview started with , "Talk about one of your greatest achievements". Then I was asked 4 puzzles. The process you follow to reach the answer is important.
            Make sure you walk the interviewer through the process.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
              This was a Skype, case interview. The process you follow to arrive at a solution is important.

• Fast paced learning capability
              • Lateral Thinking
              Be confident and feel free to clarify any doubts you have. Think loud during the process of solving puzzles and case study.

SALESFORCE research and development internship interview

Vengala HaneeshFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at SALESFORCE
              Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: CSE
              THE TEST WAS GOOD BUT SOME OF THE QUESTIONS TAKES SOME TIME ,IT WAS A BIT CONFUSING BUT I TOOK MY TIME AND DO IT AND DID MAXIMUM
              THE QUESTIONS WERE MAINLY BASED ON CSE LIKE OPERATING SYSTEMS, C & JAVA PROGRMAMING ,IT WOULD BE BETTER TO PREPARE SOME TOPICS ON RECURSIVE ALGORITHMS AND HASTABLES THOUGH THEY DON'T COVER MUCH

Interview Questions
                IT WAS A LONG INTERVIEW WHICH WENT FOR 2 HRS. THE QUESTIONS MAINLY WERE BASED ON ARRAYS AND STRINGS AND THEY ARE MAINLY BASED ON OPTIMIZATION (ESPECIALLY STRINGS WHICH WAS "RUN LENGTH ENCODING")
                ITS GOOD TO PREPARE QUESTIONS MAINLY ON TREES , STRINGS, ARRAYS

• Algorithmic Approach To Problem Solving

• Coding Interview Questions : Narasimha Karumanchi,
                • Java Complete Reference,
                ITS THE WORLD #1 CRM COMPANY AND I WAS MAINLY INTERESTED IN APPLYING MY SKILLS TO HELP PEOPLE REGARDING SALES AND SERVICES AND ALSO WANTED TO HELP PEOPLE BUILD ENTERPRISES.WHICH SALESFORCE DOES AND THE CHARITY ACTIVITIES ALSO PEAKED MY INTEREST

Tyco research and development internship interview

Susmitha A VFresherSelected
                Application
                I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Research And Development role at Tyco
                Technical Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
                • Question 1: Whats your experience with computer vision?
                • Question 2: About DSP? What are things the you have learnt?
                • Question 3: what are the techniques used in ML for CV apart from CV?
                it was good ,they were very friendly,
                its better to know very well about the profile of the internship

Interview Questions
                • Question 1: Tell me about your self?
                • Question 2: Why are you keen in joining Tyco?

• Machine Learning
                • Digital Signal Processing - DSP
                Just fare idea enough
                The profile of the internship inspired me the most.
                funny part is they ask is they don't actually ask questions to solve in technical round ,they just ask how familiar you are.