R&D Hardware

R&D Hardware Interview Questions and Tips

Samsung Electronics India Software Operations r&d hardware interview

Jayadeep KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Trichy for R&D Hardware role at Samsung Electronics India Software Operations
Test Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

60min Minutes
  • Section 1: aptitude
Tested basic apti questions.Test platform was cocubes,we need to solve 60 questions in 60 minutes,contains verbal ,logical reasoning and quant sections(20 questions in each section). Logical reasoning questions are a bit tricky,read the problem carefully ,and wisely select an answer.I felt verbal very easy ,answered 15 questions in the section in 5 min, (I attempted it at the last,so there no time left to solve remaining 5) but most of my friends expressed lot of difficultly in attempting those questions.If one feels that he has good proficiency in English ,he should attempt verbal first because probability of scoring is huge. Quantitative aptitude in the last section are general questions ,one may find it very difficult to answer these questions if he has no sufficient practice earlier.
keep practicing different types of problems otherwise it will be very difficult to clear the round.In my class many 8,9 pointers didn't clear this round disqualifying them from writing next round.I think there is minimum cutoff in each section to clear this round,I don't know the exact split-up of min. cutoffs in each section. So,attempt atleast 12-13 questions from each section to augment your chances of getting shortlisted.

• Section 1: tech questions
People who ever cleared aptitude round are eligible for tech round.In tech round one can choose either of profile he is interested in.There are two profiles available, software and hardware.My choice of interest is HARDWARE.
Most of the questions are aimed to test your basics in digital ,analog.Questions are of mediocre level ,one should not take more than a minute to solve the question.Many of them dealt with basic RLC circuits,nmos,pmos transistors.
one need not to be a great scholar to clear this round,questions are not very difficult.A student who is in constant touch with the subject will find the paper very easy.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tech interviews
The interviewer is very friendly,he is very patient.He clarified all my doubts about the company without a slight hint of impatience or anger on his face.I found it very easy to clear this round.All the questions are mostly based on verilog,basic digital circuits like flipflops,counters.
Try to solve each question he asks in different ways no. of ways possible.This will surely impress him,gets him to know your proficiency in the subject.This helps you stand apart from other students (I already mentioned that questions are very easy, everybody will be able to answer them,so your method of problem solving should be very clear and comprehensive, it should let know the interviewer know that you are very strong in the subject).

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tech interview 2
In our campus out of 20 ,only 10 are selected from technical round1 to tech round2.I seemed a bit like a stress interview to me.The interviewer crossed questioned me every time I answered something.There was no smile on his face at all,whatever u answer he listens it with a blank face,literally all kinds of expressions are absent on his countenance.This made me tense a little bit.All the questions asked are of higher level,topics covered are more or less same as the first tech interview .I encountered questions like how to design a 5 bit counter,energy band diagrams in mosfet,scaling concepts in mosfet ,a C programming question (very easy one, I forgot that thing ),other basic stuff.He asked me why there are fluctuations in my CGPA (I am an eight pointer) ,my strengths and weakness ,why samsung not other companies?,which subjects u like the most etc.
For samsung CGPA matters alot,so maintain your cgpa above 8 to be on safe side,revise all the concepts properly before interview,be confident,there should be no grammar mistakes in your conversation.

I received a call for Hr interview as soon as I finished my 2nd tech interview.So,I am very confident that I will be surely selected (for others there is delay between tech and hr interviews,some half-an-hour,I received call with in 2 minutes). He asked me basic HR questions like:
1.introduce yourself,strengths and weakness
2.Justify them.
3.Why job ,no MS ?
4.how can I believe in you that u will not leave the job after 2 years ?(these questions arose because of my CGPA, but don't think having low CGPA is an advantage ,samsung won't even consider low gpa guys,so be ready with an answer)
5.stream u r interested in,why?
my sincere advice is, don't ask him any thing about company sponsoring high education programmes or MS related questions.I asked such stupid questions and landed into problems.Because of that my interview went for 45 minutes ,otherwise it would have been finished in 15 minutes(thank god! All my instincts worked fine at the moment,so I successfully diverted the topic). Don't mess up things ,If he asks something about which u have no idea ,confess that u have no clue about it,don't fake things (don't try to deceive him ,he will easily figure out). Prepare your CV properly,don't exaggerate certain things of which u have only little idea.Explanation about your projects should be very clear.

Samsung Electronics India Software Operations r&d hardware interview

Moazzam HussainFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Warangal for R&D Hardware role at Samsung Electronics India Software Operations
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

60+45 Minutes
60+20 questions
  • Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: Technical
The test consisted of 60 aptitude questions.They were divided into numerical,logical reasoning and English.Each of them having 20 questions.Basically those questions were easy to solve.You have to have enough practice to solve those in the required amount of time.I was able to solve 50 of them and since it had no negative marking I guessed the remaining.Overall the first round of test was not that tough!
The technical round was conducted immediately after the aptitude.It had 20 questions ranging from digital electronics, basics of CMOS and few network analysis problems.Overall it was not that hard.If you are good at the basics you can easily solve most of the questions.I was able to solve more than 15 questions.And of course no negative marking here too.overall it was a good experience.
1.In first round numerical aptitude takes time to solve.So better solve them at last.
2.Technical test has more than enough time,so accuracy is the key here.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How to divide the frequency of the clock by two?
  • Question 2: How to divide the frequency of the clock by three?
  • Question 3: What is FSM and explain the differences between the Mealy and Moore machines?
  • Question 4: Design a sequential circuit to detect a sequence 001001?Explain it?How can you reduce the minimum number of states in this design?
  • Question 5: I was asked two simple puzzles too!
  • Question 6: I was asked questions on my project.The tools I used,the design etc.
  • Question 7: What is FPGA and what are its advantages?
Well the interviewer was a very young guy.He tried helping me when I was stuck here and there.It lasted for about 60 mins and I was able to answer almost all of the questions.I was very satisfied with this round and was confident that I would be giving the next round of interview.
Just be confident and try to take your own time while explaining.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is CMOS?Why CMOS?Distinguish the advantages and disadvantages of it?compare it with BJT
  • Question 2: Draw the CMOS inverter circuit and derive the transfer characteristics of inverter.What are the regions of operations of it?
  • Question 3: Derive the current equation of MOS transistor current equations?Both saturation and linear regions!
  • Question 4: Questions on L-C-R circuits.
  • Question 5: Questions on flipflops?Like Make a T flipflop from JK flipflop,D flipflop.
  • Question 6: questions on inductor and capacitor?Their differences?And few other related questions.
This round heavily focussed on CMOS circuits and its basics.I was well prepared for CMOS and so I was ready to face any questions.Overall I answered all of them and Of course I was given snacks in between :).I was very happy with my performance and I knew that this was my day.This round was about 60-70 mins duration.
Again just be confident and feel free to take help from the interviewers.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: Your strengths and weakness?
  • Question 3: Why less CGPA even though mine is > 8?
  • Question 4: Why din't you attend the company PPT?
  • Question 5: Why Samsung?
  • Question 6: Where is the head quarters of Samsung?
  • Question 7: What are your dreams?Interests?passion?
  • Question 8: Are you okay with Bangalore?
  • Question 9: Tell me about your family and few more personal questions!
Well it was a really good experience.I knew that this was my day and I just had to answer to the point and just talk anything that came
to my mind.I was really happy when they told me that I was selected.This round was about 30 mins duration.
It is just for a formality.All you have to do is show that you are passionate about the company and the profession!

• 1)communication Skills
  • Digital Circuits
  • RC Circuits
  • CMOS Circuits

Vortex Engineering r&d hardware interview

Yeshwanth KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Sathyabama for R&D Hardware role at Vortex Engineering
Test Group Activity Group Discussion Technical Interview Stress Interview

• Section 1: Verbal Ability
  • Section 2: Mathematics
  • Section 3: Technical
Verbal and Math were as like any other company would as. Technical was purely concept oriented less of theory
If you basics are right no need to worry

Group Activity

The topic was on comparing old technology vs Latest technology. Explain the same using chart drawingsI was nominated as the group lead by the other mates. I was supposed to only guide the team, I should not work on it.
Take every one's opinion and work as a team. If you split up the work's ensure you understand what others have done. One of my friend was over excited and dint pay attention what the others had done and paid price for it.And stand on the team's stance and if there is come thing wrong accept it.

Indian education system is better or need's remodification
It went more on debate rather rather than discussion
Be patient when others speak. Said that you too must speak.

It was purely technical and I dont remember all that was asked its been almost a year.
Tell what you know. Speak confidently.

Stress Interview

• Technical (Electronics)
  • Ability to speak
  • Interactive skill
Be calm and be alert
For the scope it had in R&D(Product Development)
Lots but the debate was something that was serious and some fun. Where in went into debate mode and some how came back and concluded it by asking others view.