R&D Executive

R&D Executive Interview Questions and Tips

HUL r&d internship interview

Murali VedulaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for R&D role at HUL
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

I had made a master resume first where I had listed down all the activities I had done.
Then based on which type of companies I was sitting for, I decided what parts should go into the one page resume
Once that was done I got it reviewed by seniors
HUL also has a form wherein certain questions regarding your life experiences will be asked. Make sure you can come up with good examples and try to be honest about it
Get your resume reviewed by as many seniors as possible

Choosing between two technologies for a plant undergoing production expansion
- Apart from HUL, I had also applied for ITC. ITC also had a GD.I hadn't done too well in the gd and wasn't even shortlisted for the interview
- Instead of being tense, I looked at why I had failed and tried to improve upon them in the HUL GD
-People who talk well and connect socially aren't necessarily going to do well in GD's.
-Its actually better to have a group with more number of people as the GD in whole would come to a nice conclusion
- Don't get panicked by looking at people who are in your GD

The interview mostly focused on my experiences in my previous intern.Make sure you have prepared well for some standard questions.
A puzzle was also asked which I was able to answer easily.

This was the most difficult round of all. Again, the whole interview tested my concepts in various courses including mass transfer, heat transfer, fluid mechanics etc... All the questions were related to a particular equipment that was the heart of the plant in my previous intern.
- Even though you may not be able to answer directly, don't panic. Its perfectly normal to take your time. Clarify your doubts first before answering. Take the panel through your thought process.

- You should be thorough with all technical aspects of previous internships
- Largest FMCG's

- Great stipend

- Awesome mentorship programme

Mahindra & Mahindra r&d interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D role at Mahindra & Mahindra
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

• Section 1: Numerical Ability
  • Section 2: Analytical Ability
  • Section 3: English Proficiency
  • Section 4: Technical
APTITUDE:They covered almost all important topics in Numerical Ability like Profit&Loss,Simple Interest,Compound Interest,Time&Work,Speed&Distance,Percentages,Progressions,Probability.In Analytical Ability questions are on Sequences,Decoding,Reasoning,Relationship Problems,Data interpretations.In verbal questions are on comprehensions, Correct the sentences,direct & indirect speech.My advice is to answer verbal section from the end.

TECHNICAL: 50 Questions->Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulic Machines: A total of ten questions are asked on this topic.Concentrate mainly on Centrifugal pump(NPSH,Cavitation,Parts),Turbines(types of pumps, where they will used and why).->Strength of Materials:Simple problems on torsion,bending,buckling,impact loading(understand the all formula physically),some questions on I & J calculations. ->Thermodynamics(three Laws) and Heat cycles:You need to know all cycles like Otto,Diesel,Stirling,Carnot,etc.,compare their efficiency).->Design:Problems(Bolts,rivets),Couplings, Bearings.->Production: Materials(% of carbon in various kinds of steel, Alloys),Tool Signature and physical meaning, Thermal aspects of tool design.In all the above topics simple problems(Basic formula based) are asked but time is not sufficient, so good practice is needed.
All these questions are of moderate level.If you find initial questions are tough then start answering from the end,this will really help.Time management is very important

Its a Case study on Environment Protection.
Case study topic: A plastic industry is releasing poisonous waste into near by lake. A new technology is introduced into market which will reduce the amount of waste. but this technology is expensive. At present waste released into the lake is as per the norms of government. But if they release waste at the same rate after few years, water in this lake will not be fit for any use. Budget of the environmental section of the industry is running out of funds.We are asked to create a mind map to take decision on buying this new technology considering all the above constraints.I initiated the discussion which helped me a lot. I add points on taking help from Government, NGOs, Collaboration with other companies to get this new technology.
Following criteria is generally followed by all companies in evaluation:1)Initiation2)Clarity of speech3)Open mindedness4)Value added to the discussion5)Body Language6)Conclusion7)Behavior after group discussion

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell Me about yourself.
  • Question 2: Some question from my project.
  • Question 3: Favorite Subjects : Solid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, I.C. Engines, Design
  • Question 4: Questions on Solid Mechanics, I.C.Engines.
  • Question 5: Why Mahindra AFS?
My personal interview is mostly technical. Its about 30 Min in duration.You should be strong with fundamental and able to apply them to real life situations.
Be cool :P

Be updated with latest technology in the field of automobile and farm sector.

Videos
  • CATIA V5,
  • ANSYS Mechanical APDL,

Olam International r&d internship interview

Pratiek NagraleFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for R&D role at Olam International
Group Discussion Other Interview

Politics in education
The HR gave us a choice to select for GD. It was a straight forward round and they expected us to discuss the pros and cons and asked us to discuss beyond the geographical boundaries of India. Apart from this what I feel is they were looking how socially aware we were. They did not emphasize on the technical data during GD.
Use the current scenario of a particular topic and expand it to other countries. Leading the discussion and helping others to put their point forward always helps. Good eye contact and giving a nice and in depth explanation of the topic will help.
It doesn't matter if u start or summarize the GD. What matters is your presence should be felt by the group and the HR....!

Other Interview

It was kind of tech + HR round which was mainly based on my experience during last summer Internship at Reliance. They asked in depth calculations and derivations of data and equations,my experimental techniques during Internships. They asked the mistakes i did during intern and gave a lot of suggestions on that.
They asked me a lot about my PORs in the campus and asked me how it helped me to be what i am..!
No typical question like strengths and weakness.
And they gave me a problem statement asking role of engineer in a process of tomato ketchup production right from procurement to sales..
The interview lasted for more than an hour and the interviewers were friendly. On the scale of 1 to 10..i will rate technical toughness to be 8.5 and HR to be 7..
Be truthful about ur CGPA..dun fake abouy ur internship
Jusyify and show them your approach towards every problem. They don't expect correct answer but a correct approach...!
International presence.. awesome project..

stipend and accomodation:P

Daimler AG r&d interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D role at Daimler AG
Resume Shortlist HR Interview Technical Interview

Mostly Solid Mechanics profiles were shortlisted.
Actually, they were looking for experienced people, who already have a job experience of a year or two. Though they asked for a written test initially but later on, them shortlisted the candidates based on. They were keen to take students who had some kind of job experience (for MTech candidates) or internship.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: What are your strength and weaknesses?
First I introduced about myself, my family background, my hobbies and my qualities. I told them that I like to travel a lot and gave an example as when I was in Europe I travelled some 6-7 countries even I had to spend my own money. Since they were first time in the campus so they didn’t know about foreign internships. They were fascinated by the fact that I have international exposure. They asked about my purpose of being in Europe. I told them about internship, they liked it and asked questions related to that as of who paid for you and the university.
It helps if you asked some questions to them during presentation or interview, they value and remember it. I asked a question during presentation and about the job location during interview. When I asked them this question in interview then they told me that you were the guy who asked one question during presentation.
Finally they asked me if I would be comfortable in Chennai. I replied them positively this time.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Thesis-based
  • Question 2: Project-based
Thesis: They wanted to know how my work and thesis could be of their use. It was related to polymer and I told them it will be of help in seat chamber design. You should be able to convince them that whatever you are doing is of use to them. I was working in Abacus. They were impressed with this and asked if I am asked to work on Ansys, Fluent, will I be able to do so. I gave them a positive reply.
Project: They were highly impressed with one of my projects on “Adamas” which I did in my 2nd year. This was the thing which they were looking for. They asked some technical questions as how did you simulate the track and where did you apply force. I answered their questions with confidence and they were impressed. You may like to give priorities to your projects based on company profile and requirement. So by this time they were very impressed by me and I was kind of getting the feeling that they will hire me.

Organize mock GD's in wings. <br /> Prepare some common HR questions like “Tell me about yourself”, strengths and weakness, your hobbies and prepare this question in written.

• u201cPower plant Engineeringu201d by P.K. Nag,
  • ME 401,
  • ESO202,
  • ME 301,
  • MOS,
  • ME 361,
  • ME 461 ,
Do ask questions to them during interview or presentation in a different fashion, may be related to your job profile or anything which is bothering you.

Samsung Electronics India Software Operations r&d internship interview

G.Vipul SpartacusFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for R&D role at Samsung Electronics India Software Operations
Test Test Group Discussion

One on One round .
Basic coding, quant

Havells r&d interview

Bharti KhatriFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for R&D role at Havells
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

1hr Minutes
  • Section 1: technical
  • Section 2: aptitude and gk
in technical basics should be clear

is nuclear energy useful
that was an awesome experience, actually during training period i learned so many things about nuclear radiations so that was beneficial for me.
instead of speaking any thing, listen the topic carefully and try to remember what do you know about that and simply put meaningful points.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: they asked me about my training and basic questions of communication and they asked me to explain the whole communication system and so many basic electronics questions.
be confident

Bajaj Auto r&d interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D role at Bajaj Auto
Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Apititude
  • Section 2: Technical
I wrote 1 written test comprising of 50 (25 aptitude + 25 technical) questions.
Each question carried 1 mark for correct answer and 0.5 mark for incorrect answer.

HR + Technical Interview14 students were shortlisted for interview after the written round. As soon as I entered the room, I went straight to interviewers and shook hands and wished them. They smiled and said I was the first one to do so. Then they asked me to introduce myself. After that, they asked me to come up with my favourite subject other than the managment subjects, to which I responded I.C Engines. Then they put up various questions of I.C. Engines. They asked me to draw diesel cycle. After I had drawn the same, they asked me to show compression ratio in it. They further asked some questions about piston rings, combustion chamber, spark plug and some related to bearings such as types of bearings and how to design them. Then they asked me about ABS technology. Among the various questions asked, I was able to answer around 60% of questions correctly and the questions which I couldn't answer, they were correcting me up. Then they asked me If I would like to put up any query, to which I responded by asking about the city where they would be placing us .
One must have the basic knowledge of the core subjects . In almost every company they ask for your favourite subject so prepare one subject thoroughly. Prepare a detailed explanation of your projects that you had done. Keep a smiling face throughout your interview :-D.
. I would suggest to do a project during one's industrial training. If you are planning to go for consultancy, extra curricular activities might give you that extra edge.

Nokia Networks r&d interview

Ankur PratapFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Agartala for R&D role at Nokia Networks

• Section 1: Aptitude
  • Section 2: Technical
As I was already placed in other company so I was not much worried about anything.So my mind was at peace and that was the best thing.Because test paper was a little bit lengthy and aptitude level was of R.S.Agrawal book.but technical was a little bit tedious as it included questions from all the subjects of computer science.So I solved it and as my aptitude was gud so it took me very less time to complete that section and my technical was also prepared so this test was good for me.I was sure that I will be selected in this round and my results confirmed that.
Before giving this test or test of any company,you should have solved R.S Agrawal aptitude book.And you have atleast studied your technical subject books thoroughly so as that small terms are familiar to you.

• R.S AGRAWAL,
  • QUANTUM CAT,
Just be confident before going in any selection test or interview.Don't be afraid of the results.Just have the positive vibe for yourself.And never be disappointed if you are not selected,just try your best in next company.And if anyone of you want more information then call me at 9862819771.I will be happy to help anyone in getting placed.
Working in Nokia corporation was my dream and my will to work in this company did half the work.

Maruti Suzuki r&d interview

Kaushal KishorFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for R&D role at Maruti Suzuki
Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Technical
  • Section 2: Apptitude
  • Section 3: Psychometric
It was good. But to feel like that you have to have basic knowledge in production, thermal, fluid and mechanics. And, also good in aptitude.
Not each and every question are meant for a solution.Know basics of core subjects.Practice aptitude if you are weak in that.While attempting psychometric be honest in your answers.

NA
It was not a part of selection instead there was a presentation round.In which you have to give presentation about (5-10 minutes) on a format given to you describing your choice in maruti, why preferred division and your extra circular activities.
Don't hesitate.Be confident.And don't tell lies.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is caster, camber, toe?
  • Question 2: Explain auto alignment of steering?
  • Question 3: Basic manufacturing processes..?
  • Question 4: Types of suspension ?

Saint-Gobain Research India (SGRI) r&d internship interview

AfnazFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for R&D role at Saint-Gobain Research India (SGRI)
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

They see your prior experience in projects related to the profile they are coming for.
Go through the profile involve any projects/internship you've done earlier.

Quizzed on the projects and few basic stuff related to the profile being offered.
Go through profile and do a generic google search.Questions were really basic.

It was semi HR/ Case study.Simple case based on DI.
Be clear and confident.
Didn't get any other offers till then through institute.
Got an offer from another(better) company after the first offer.Couldn't take that because of an institute rule :( .