R&D Engineer

R&D Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Nokia Networks r&d engineer interview

Kunal KohliFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Agartala for R&D engineer role at Nokia Networks
Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Mostly the questions they asked me were regarding the microprocessors and coding (C and c++).The interview lasted for 45 min and during this my technical hr grilled me in every sense.He asked me logical questions regarding the core subjects.
Basically they just want to test the presence of mind and how you react to the situation.so just keep cool and give your best.

the hr round was a 5 min round in which they asked if the student had any other offer(in my case it was polaris finance),and the ctc offered by the other company and the reason to select nokia over polaris.rest they asked me about my family details.
Just be calm and composed during the hr round. The hr round checks the mindset of the participant and his confidence to talk to people. Just be yourself.

For communication and micro processors just keep yourself updated with the new technologies.read 8085,8086 properly as they will help you in the process. Internships matter a lot.Hence a good internship with a good firm counts a lot in the process(in my case it was Vodafone and Siemens LTD.)
Keep cool and give your 100% .Rest have faith in yourself and you will do great.

Pulak SarangiFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for R&D Engineer role at Synopsys
Test Interview

• Section 1: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 2: Programming
  • Section 3: Digital Electronics
The questions on Logical reasoning were tough and time consuming. The questions on programming were primarily on pointers and data structures. The section on Digital electronics was easiest with questions ranging from logic gates, flip flops & timing analysis.
Start with the section with which you feel comfortable that will enhance your confidence and you can solve the other sections with higher accuracy. Do brush up your concepts on programming and data structures. Keep practicing LR questions from books for CAT

Interview

There were 3 rounds of interview consecutively. The first one was majorly based on the CV, the interviewer asked about the projects and some extra curricular activities that I had done.The second interviewer asked me to write simple codes on arrays. There was a question on finding the number of paces where two numbers i & j have 1's in the same position in their binary representation. He also asked a simple puzzle- There are 3 boxes containing 2 R, 2 B and 1 R, 1 B balls. All the boxes are labelled incorrectly, How would you identify the correct labeling if  your allowed to draw just 1 ball.The third round was primarily tested knowledge on data structures. The questions were based on linked list, binary tree implementation using linked list and code for printing the elements of binary tree in a given order( in order in my case).
If your CV has good projects be prepared to answer the question why are you not going for higher studies.

""

Tejas Networks r&d engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D Engineer role at Tejas Networks

20+40 questions
  • Section 1: Aptitude
Questions were asked from following topics:
• VLSI (concentrate more) : setup time, hold time , propagation delay ( EE619 must be read carefully , recommended book : Rabaey )
• Information theory ( unexpectedly ) : Information and coding theory
• Digital & analogue circuits
• Signal processing
• No questions were asked from electrical portion.
• A question was asked on cache memory concept and was almost asked in many companies.
• There were questions related to flip-flops, gates, laches, FSM these topics must be thorough.
This test was dependent on the amount of practice you've done. Since, for 60 questions 1 hour time is quite less so you must have your strategy under your sleeves. I was more towards technical side so I first completed the technical part in first 50 min. and then attempted 40-50 % aptitude portion. There were two profiles of R&D Software and Hardware engineer.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Thesis-based questions
The panel was of 5 (2 software engineers, 2 hardware engineers, 1 HR manager) and duration was 45 minutes.
Questions were asked on:
• Bug converter
• What are enhancement and depletion type and MOSFETs?
• setup time, hold time , propagation delay
• Verilog HDL : blocking assignment vs. non-blocking assignment
• Which optimization approach do we follow while writing a code in HDL high level to low level or low level to high level?

• EE 619,
  • EE 610 ,
  • EE 370 ,
  • CS 425 ,
  • EE 250 ,
• For aptitude test your speed must be really fast.

• Before applying in the companies you must know do want to do core job or non-core job.

• EE 619 should be thoroughly studied.

• It is not necessary to answer the question correct at the first time but you must continuously think for the answer and must correct yourself with proper logic.

• You should not give ambiguous answers and must know to say don’t know when you really don’t know the answer.

Siri ChandanaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for R&D Engineer role at Synopsys
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 2: Programming
  • Section 3: Digital Electronics
Questions in Logical Reasoning were from some topics like probability, percentages, Sitting patterns, statement and conclusion etc. Programming questions were mostly on pointers, data structures and algorithms topics like pre-order, topological sort etc. Digital electronics questions were from flip-flops, sequence generators, boolean algebra, number systems.
Overall, questions were of easy to medium level.
Try to solve at least half of the questions correctly in all the sections

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Given a sparse binary tree, print the nodes level by level w.r.t bottom view. (Idea: First print all the leaves, delete them and do this repeatedly till root points to null)
  • Question 2: Given a graph, find second shortest path from source to destination. (Idea: Initially through Bellman-Ford algorithm, find the first shortest path and save all the n-1 edges contained in this path. Now , discarding one edge at a time(i.e,, by setting its weight to infinity), run the shortest path algorithm. Do this process for all n-1 edges and take the minimum of all shortest paths) .
They asked me to write the algorithms for the above questions and some questions on my M.tech project. Interviewers were so friendly. You can feel very comfortable.
Make sure that you should be strong enough in at least one of your interested subjects.

Well, they were impressed by my technical interview and directly given me the offer :-)

Samsung Electronics India Software Operations r&d engineer internship interview

Kunal KishoreFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for R&D Engineer role at Samsung Electronics India Software Operations
Test Group Discussion

• Section 1: General Aptitude
  • Section 2: Coding
The Aptitude test consisted of 60 questions to be completed in a duration of 60 minutes. The questions were very simple and the key here was to be quick in solving puzzles and problem solving. Next, there was an online coding round which consisted of 3 questions to be completed in a duration of 60 minutes. The questions here were also very basic including topics from pointers and strings. Overall, the test was easy to crack and didn't need any prior preparation.
Just practice some aptitude tests online. Also, be thorough with the basics of pointers and strings for the coding round.

Effect of Technology on 'human touch'
The group discussion was totally driven by the hiring team. They chose the speaker and went through each of us one by one. It was a pretty short Group discussion.
Just listen to everyones points and keep noting your arguments down. If you are chosen to start the GD, then you will be most probably chosen to conclude it too. So, try to take everybody's opinions and shape a precise and to-the-point conclusion.

Practice. Practice. Practice.
Just be cool throughout the process. It has nothing that can be prepared for.
The projects described in the Internship description were quite interesting.
Got selected without a single interview! That's partly disappointing since we didn't get to discuss our intern profiles with them. It's funny that such a huge company can hire interns without even having an interview. It's not funny though.

Nokia Networks r&d engineer interview

VIKAS SHAKYAFresherSelected
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Verbal Ability (10 Ques --- 15 mins)
  • Section 2: Analytical Ability (40 Ques --- 30 mins)
  • Section 3: Technical Ability ( maximum ques from- C, C++, DS, OS) (30 Ques --- 30 mins)
This test was offline. Quality of questions was good. there were no negative marking so try to attempt all the questions.
Try to make a good score in this test although the cutoff was low but it plays an important role in final selection.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: what is your area of interest? (maximum questions were asked from them.)
  • Question 2: Questions related to your final year project.
Interviewer asked me about my area of interest, and maximum questions were asked from them.

i told him that i like coding, Data Structure, Algorithms and Operating System. so he asked maximum questions from these sections in depth.
While you are going to tell about your area of interest, please make sure that you have the depth knowledge of that subject.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about your self?
  • Question 2: Why would you like to join us?
  • Question 3: Why should i hire you?
  • Question 4: Why would you prefer us over your's previous job?
This round was just a formality. maximum elimination round was Technical interview. if you do good in your Technical Round , the chances of getting select is maximum.
Be calm and cool.

Tejas Networks r&d engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D Engineer role at Tejas Networks
Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test.
  • Section 2: Quantitative.
  • Section 3: Technical.
One written test. It contains three sections. The first two sections are of 20 minutes each and the third section is of 60 minutes.
You must be good in coding.

The software technical interview revolved around software skills only for an ECE student. Questions were asked from c,c++, DS and OS (depth of which depends on the student himself).
General and basic knowledge in electronics was also tested like those in STDL, CAO , digital electronics.
Thus a 40 minutes interview in software skills was followed by a 20 minutes interview on technical stuff in electronics.
You must be strong with your basics.

• C programming.,
  • C++ and data structures.,
  • Operating systems.,
Brush up all your basics in C, C++, data structures and operating systems.

Sumit Kumar MandalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for R&D Engineer role at Synopsys

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Algorithm to find GCD.
  • Question 2: Code of in-order traversal.
  • Question 3: Matrix traversal algorithm.
  • Question 4: Fundamentals of data structure.
Company was SYNOPSYS. The questions were not so tough. Moreover the interviewers were helping me to answer.
Whatever you are thinking express them to the interviewer. Brush up your knowledge of data structure. Be quick on your feet and show some celerity.

Videos
  • NPTEL videos on Algorithms,
Don't be panic. Just give your best.

Tejas Networks r&d engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D Engineer role at Tejas Networks
Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test.
  • Section 2: Technical.
The total test is for 2hrs. 1st section is for 1hour.. It consists of aptitude questions and some basic questions on
C,C++,DS... No choices were given..All the questions are of fill in the blanks type.. and so no of question of guessing...
2nd hour consists of questions from data structures. This section is mainly aimed at test the programming and logical
thinking.. Time is sufficient for the above two sections
You must be good in coding.

Only one technical round was there.. The basic concepts of OS,Networking were asked for me.. For others There were
questions on C,C++ also
You must be strong in your basics.

Informatica r&d engineer interview

AnonymousFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for R&D Engineer role at Informatica
Test Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: Technical Aptitute
Technical Questions in an Online test.
Be thorough with aptitude and basic concepts

• Section 1: Coding round
4 questions, you have to get maximum correct, ( people shortlisted for interviews

Algorithm Questions with special interest in optimisation. Interviewer was a little rude.
study optimizing of algorithms thoroughly, this is their special interest