Production Manager

Production Manager Interview Questions and Tips

TATA Steel production manager interview

Akshay ThakurFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jamshedpur for Production Manager role at TATA Steel
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude
  • Section 2: Verbal Aptitude
  • Section 3: Technical Aptitude
The questions were very standard. Difficulty Level of the sections were as follows:
Quantitative Aptitude: Average
Verbal Aptitude: Good
Technical Aptitude: Average to good
Primary focus should be on understanding the basic concepts of all the Technical Subjects.
A lot of questions were asked from Manufacturing Processes, Plant Layout.
For Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal Aptitude, practice all the questions from indiabix.com

How much industrialisation does India need ?
The GD was conducted in two rounds:
Structured: All the candidates were given opportunity to express their ideas to the panel.
Unstructured: The candidates had to discuss the points among themselves.
Before speaking up, think clearly. Don't start hastily without proper clarity in thoughts. Pay attention to what other speakers have to say. You don't always have to counter other speakers, if you can try to compliment their points with your own.

There was only one interview, which was purely based on technical questions. The two member panel was very cordial and encouraging. I even cracked a joke here and there but they were cool about it. They asked questions related to my summer internship and a research paper I had presented in my college fest.
Make sure your technical knowledge is sound. If you have done any summer internship or presented a research paper, then 60% of the questions will be from those sections.

Videos
  • Lectures of Professor SK Som,
Focus on technical knowledge
Tata Steel is a leading steel producer, and pays a handsome salary. It is actively involved in CSR activities and has a good reputation. Additionally it is located in my hometown, Jamshedpur.
They asked me to draw a graph of regenerative cycle, I was drawing a rather small figure( my bad habit ), then one of the guys asked " Why do you draw such small diagrams ? You have plenty of paper" .. I replied " Sir, save paper save trees" .

Then he asked about the efficiency of Regenerative cycle, I couldn't understand the question so I said " Sorry Sir I don't know" to which he replied " Maarenge do thappad :P" .. Then he clarified himself,

Dr. Reddy's production manager interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Production Manager role at Dr. Reddy's
Test Group Discussion Interview

• Section 1: Basic Quantitative Maths
  • Section 2: Verbal Reasoning
  • Section 3: Technical Questions

It was a role play kind of a discussion where each of the candidates was assigned a role of a company personnel and given a situational question

Interview

Only one round of interview of about 30 minutes.The interview had technical round and not specifically HR.The interview was emphasized on core technical mechanical engineering questions with basic HR questions.

Thorough preparation of core subjects of mechanical engineering is necessary.
Knowledge of Thermodynamics, IC Engines, R & AC, Turbo machinery, DME, Strength of materials, Engineering Materials, Manufacturing were important for core test, technical questions is necessary.The HR questions were generic so you don't need to worry.