MEMBER OF TECHINICAL STAFF

MEMBER OF TECHINICAL STAFF Interview Questions and Tips

Honda member of technical staff interview

LekhaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at VJTI for Member of technical staff role at Honda
Test Test Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Quantitative and logical reasoning.Type : Objective, single answer correct, no negative markingTypical apti questions. Quantitative section was not very tough, high school geometry, ratio proportion etc.

+(578*35)] has matching braces (a+(b) does notI did a stack type solution. Keep pushing opening braces onto a stack, when you encounter a closing brace, see if it matches top of stack, if yes pop and proceed; else return false.-Write a program to multiply 2 numbers recursively and without using * operator (use least number of additions)Simple solution add the big number as many times as the smaller number.Later in interview same question was asked, but implement with bitwise operators.- every number ending in 3 has a multiple of the form "111...111" e.g 3 has 111, 13 has 111111 so on..find the algo for finding the number for an input number ending in 3.ideas on solutions : http://geeksforgeeks.org/forum/topic/adobe-interview-question-for-software-engineerdeveloper-fresher-about-algorithms-19

Type : Subjective
        Questions were related to C syntax. Code snippets given and we had to predict the output, decide whether code will compile or give error etc.Related to pointers(lots of pointers!), unions (nested unions), pointer to function.
        No. of people shortlisted after the aptitude test for the interviews  = 15 (1 MTech, 5 IT, 2 tronix, 7 Comps)

Data Structures, basic object oriented concepts, algorithms, calculating running time of an algorithm (No code asked)Questions :- He asked me my interests. I said algo, programming and web because i've done a project related to it(TGMC). Then he asked me in brief what all technologies had you used in your project.- Explain virtual function, how does that create polymorphism? I explained and mentioned static binding v/s dynamic binding. Then I was asked how all this is implemented in the back-end, what is v-table etc. I said I didn't really know the working of vtable etc so he dropped the question and just explained it to me in brief.- Design a data structure where you can perform three operations- push pop and min (push, pop same as in stack; min should just tell you the min value and not remove it)I initially started off with a normal stack with another pointer pointing to the min value. Then he said, but what if you pop off that min value. So I said ok we should keep back-trace pointers to previous mins every-time the min is updated. This will work for all situations, even for repeated values because our aim is to find min value and not where it is located in the stack.He then suggested the simplest way to do it was that in each cell, store two things the currently pushed value and also the current min value. This way pointers and all will not be required.- There are 'k' arrays. Each of size 'n'. All the arrays are sorted. Give an efficient algo to merge all these into one array (of kn size obviously)He then gave a hint that the optimal solution is O(knlogk)I started thinking of mergesort style merging. Compare first elements of all, take smallest and put in our result array, then update front pointer, then compare. But in mergesort we compare 2 elements so that takes constant time. Here we have to compare k elements so that will take O(k) time. Hence this method will be O(k^2nlogk)Then I tried to think of merge first 2 arrays; then merge result with third, and so on. Again not optimal.Finally he said try tournament method. Merge 1,2 then 3,4 then 5,6 and so on to get lots of 2n size arrays. And then next stage do same thing to get 4n size arrays. And so on. At each step you do O(kn) work and the depth of this tree that forms is atmost O(log k) so this is optimal solution.- Above question modified. Again k arrays. Now they are all unequal size. Total number of elements is N. Now how will you merge?He said we're aiming for O(Nlog k) and that tournament method will not work here.I thought a bit then he said go back to what you were trying earlier, mergesort style, and think about which data structure you'll use. I said in Nlog k the log k reminds me of heaps. So i'll use a heap to compare front elements of each array. Building the heap -minheap- for first time takes O(k).Later all you have to do is remove min, add a new element and heapify at every step O(log k) So for N elements O(log k) work each so total O(Nlog k)

He looked at my school, college scores, asked me which Boards I had done my education from etc.
        -Took my resume. Since I had written android development internship asked me android related questions. --What are the components of andoid app? Services, Activities, Intents etc--How to write an app in C etc instead of JavaNative Development Kit (NDK instead of SDK)--Why would you prefer a language like C over Java in the first place?You can manipulate memory etc so more control over the hardware especially when you want to so system level tasks--Why is C++ better than JavaIn java object oriented is compulsory whereas C++ allows you to do C style functions and procedural programming if you want and OOPs if you want.- Then I just explained what my internship project was about and how we built it etc
        -Modified version of apti question. Multiply 2 numbers using bitwise operators.Spent a large amount of time on this question. He helped me at every step. Logic and C/C++ code was required.Basically imagine how you would solve it by hand if you had to convert the numbers to binary and then multiply them.
        - You have a pointer:int **ptr = null;Using this you have to allocate 10x10 square array memory space to this pointer. Use malloc or new or whatever you are comfortable is.Initially my solution stored each row of the matrix is separate separate locations. In the next step he said now it all has to be stored in one contiguous 100 memory spaces.He wanted to see syntax as well as knowledge of memory allocation and pointers but he did not stress sooo much on syntax.
        -Since I had HTML, CSS in my resume he just asked me simple questions regarding their syntax, how will you style a div with some id=" ..." and how will you make some text italic or superscript.
        -Noticed that I had written git(version control system) in my resume but did not ask me any questions on it.- Functional programming v/s object orientedI said I don't know much about functional programming so he dropped the question
        -Why doesn't java have pointers. The compiler does the memory allocation for you. Also pointers are risky since you can play with and currupt memory. Hence java doesnt have pointers at all.-In C++ you yourself discard the memory you allocated using pointers. So what happens in java?Garbage collector does it for you.-How would you implement a garbage collector.I gave vague solution. Basically keep track of all variables etc declared in a particular scope and once the scope finishes, dispose that memory.Then he said but what if you pass a reference to outside that scope. Then you shouldnt be disposing that memory.I couldnt come up with a satisfactory solution so he dropped the question-PuzzleThere is a bridge and a torch. Initially 4 people on one side. They have to cross to other side. They can only go two at a time and they need a torch while crossing so someone will have to come back with the torch.They each walk at different speeds so take different amt of time to cross. When 2 ppl go together they cross at the speed of the slowest. Make them cross in least amount of time.Time taken by each is 1,2,5,10
        Optimal Solution(17 units of time)1,2 cross first. 2 units1 comes back. 1 unit5,10 cross. 10 units2 comes back. 2 units1,2 cross. 2 units(I tried two three ways before I reached this solution)

- Tell me about yourself.
        -Write code for printing nodes of binary search tree in inorder form.I gave a recursive solution. (2 recursive calls in the function) with some if statements. Then he said ok can you reduce the number of if statements. I did that. Then he said can you reduce one recursive call. I tried out a bit but could not come up with a proper solution so he moved on to next question.
        - Write a program. You take user input from console. The input consists of many names. A space separates one name from another. Newline means end of input. Something like:abc defgh ij klmnop qrstuvwxyznNow you have to store each of these names in a separate memory location and finally print all of the names in the same sequence you received them.The basic challenge is that you dont know how many names are there and what is the size of a name so how will you allocate memory for these names.
        I suggested that initially you should allot some amount of space(say 5 names 5 chars each) Then when you reach the end of this space, allot a larger space, transfer contents from here to there and free the old space. You could add or multiply when you increase the space.
        He expected code for this too. But again not sooo strict on syntax, I got confused on one line he said its ok invent your syntax and move on and just tell me what you intended to do :-P
        - In a singly linked list is it possible to do binary search. If no. why?I said no, unless you store some more pointers and all. That is because in binary search you directly check middle element and keep eliminating half the array. But in linked list just to find middle element you will have to traverse n/2 elements so its not a constant time operation.
        -He wrote a function:
        void f(int i){ return ++i;}
        Is the above function thread safe?
        I said yes, since i is local variable and its pass by value each thread will have its own copy so no conflict possible.
        He wrote another code snippet:
        int i = 5;void main(){ i++; sleep(100); printf("%d",i);}
        If we compile this, create an executable, and then run multiple instances of the executable (run the program from many terminals simultaneously) will there be conflict...do you need to do any synchronization?
        No, because i is a global variable but each process has its own copy of global variables in its own address space. They do not access a common one. So we're safe.
        Finally he asked ok but if I want many processes to share some data then what should I do?Could not think of a proper answer initially then I just said I've heard of something called interprocess communication (IPC) and thats how processes exchange data and parameters and messages. Basically happens through the OS with some shared space(like a mailbox) that both processes can either read from or write in.

HR round. This round was just a formality. She asked whether moving to another city would be a problem for me. Who all is there in my family etc.Then she asked me if I had any questions and answered them thats it.

• Data Structures
        • Algorithms basics
        • C/C++
        • Operating system basics
        In data structures, learn - Trees, Arrays, Linked List,Stack Queue,Heaps How they are stored , how operations are performed on them,which is useful in what situation,how much time it takes for each operation.<br /> <br /> In Algorithms - Calculating the running time is an absolute must! In general know basic techniques like divide and conquer-recursion, and sorting algorithms and why and how each of them work<br /> <br /> In C/C++ - Pointers, dynamic memory allocation,how arrays unions etc are stored in memory is an absolute must. Max questions based on this<br /> <br /> In Operating System - Synchronizations and other process related topics. Also memory allocation. Know the basic concepts.
        Think aloud and say how much ever you know. No interviewer expects perfect answers and they give a lot of hints and help you a lot. They just want to see your approach. Say everything you can think of related to the question.-While preparing just focus on your concepts. It is humanly impossible to practice all possible interview questions of that company etc. See all that just to get an idea of which domain the company focuses on in the interview, and not as a question bank for an end sem paper :-P-A techy comapany like this does not bother so much about HR. They care about whether you know your stuff or not. Ofcourse dress properly and behave properly but don't let minor fumbles make you nervous (My phone rang in the middle of the first interview. Obvously apologise and disconnect and put on silent etc but my interviewer did not seem like this went the wrong way with him at all); interviewers are usually pretty cool and understanding.-Interviews are long ordeals usually one hour per round and generally they take all the rounds one after another with no breaks; so make sure you're well fed, not thirsty or tired or sleepy before you come for an interview so that you can survive that long.Good Luck!

Adobe Systems member of techinical staff interview

Anish SomaniFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Dhanbad for MEMBER OF TECHINICAL STAFF role at Adobe Systems
        Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: How to find a loop in a Linked List and how to remove it.
        • Question 2: Suppose there is an unsorted array. What will be the maximum window size, such that when u sort that window size, the whole array becomes sorted. Eg, 1 2 6 5 4 3 7 . Ans: 4 (6 5 4 3)
        He went
        through my CV and asked me something about making an android app. (Note: I had
        mentioned Android a couple of times in CV) I explained him how a basic app is
        made with model (XML) and layout (Java). He told me about connector which
        connects model to layout. Then he asked the two questions. For second ques, I gave a N square approach (dynamic).
        He suggested a greedy approach of Order N. It was fitting most cases so I wrote
        the code on greedy approach. Turned out, greedy wasn’t the solution anyway.
        Doesn’t matter. (Note: Boss is always right!!!)

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: How to find longest last occurring word in a sentence with multiple whitespace.
        • Question 2: What is merge sort and Quick sort. Adv and Disadv of each and which one would u use to sort huge list and Y.
        • Question 3: Define Process &thread.
        • Question 4: What happens when an recursive function is called.
        • Question 5: Solve and code the problem of a ball falling from staircase. Each jump can be of 1 step or 2. Find the number of combination of reaching step N.
        • Question 6: Puzzle: There is a grid of soldier standing. Soldier ‘A’ is chosen: The tallest men from every column and the shortest among them. Soldier ‘B’ is chosen: The shortest men from every row and the tallest among them. Comment on If A is (taller/shorter/same height) as B.
        He went
        through my CV and asked me about my dropped grades in 12th.In third question, interesting part was, he said me to answer only if I knew it. I replied that I know but the definition isn’t totally memorized and he said to let it go then. (PS: Learn basic defs)
        Ans to 5) is Fibonacci and 6) is A is taller than B

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: What’s priority queue. How will u make stack and queue with priority queue.
        • Question 2: Implement stack using queue.
        He
        went through my CV and asked my if I had done Intern in Amazon or Training.
        Followed by, he asked me why I didn’t get a PPO there. He then asked me, which
        subject I m more confident with: Algo types or OS types. I chose algo.
        Keep your cool and code with confidence. Reason I am saying this is because, he was the senior most interviewer and somehow, he knew the art to stress test you.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: About myself
        • Question 2: About my family. I mentioned my dad is my idol, so he asked y. M I more like my dad or my mom.
        • Question 3: My toughest moment in life and how I overcame it
        • Question 4: What had I been if I hadn’t been an engg
        • Question 5: What do I value most in life. (A real life example)
        Be honest

Sit with open palms

Don’t cross your hands or legs(if legs can be
        visible)

Keep some back stories ready. Use any names, use your friends story anything to make it real. It will go a long way because nobody is
        going to verify it.

Most imp, Be confident about yourself. If you r not
        sure of yourself, you would be useless to the company.

• Algorithm
        • Puzzle solving
        • Technical Knowledge
        • Soft Skills
        • Data structures
        Do refer the previous question sets. It gives you pretty good idea of what's expected of you.
        Code Daily. Practise. Basics are important in such interviews.
        When in first round, I knew greedy approach isn't right, But I went on with it, because I could hear my dad whispering in my ears from behind, Rule 1: Boss is always Right

Rule 2: In case of doubt, refer Rule 1...

Nutanix member technical staff interview

Rabi Shankar GuhaFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Member Technical Staff role at Nutanix
        Test Other Interview Other Interview Other Interview

The test had 2 questions. One was doing subtraction/addition manually (Huge numbers so cannot cast them into any primitive type) and the other one was simple DP.

Other Interview

First Round was based on an algorithm and sample implementation (pen &paper). They were conducting rounds by the clock. Exactly 30 minutes each. Problem was a little complicated but not difficult. As far as I remember everyone got through that round.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: A couple of things on my resume
          • Question 2: Projects
          • Question 3: Design a URL Shortener
          • Question 4: Design Thread Safe implementation of HashMap
          Second round was totally based on Systems. First they asked me to explain a couple of things on my resume. Secondly the conversation went to my projects. After that the interviewer asked me design problems. Design a URL Shortener. Design Thread Safe implementation of HashMap, etc., etc. I think this was their main criterion. They wanted people for systems related profile.

Other Interview

Third round was again based on algorithm. (Minimum number of dice throws to complete of snakes and ladders). But it was more informal that the first couple of round. I gave a solution. He asked me to improve it. Gave me hints on the way. In the end we chatted a little about placements in general, interests, etc.

Do's :

Keep cool and keep an open mind. UNDERSTAND the package breakup to make better informed

decisions.

Don’ts :

Don’t lose your nerve, no matter what. Shit happens (happened all the time to me), things don’t

happen as expected but remember whatever it is “IT TOO SHALL PASS”. Don’t get fixated on any

company.

Final Tips :

1. Relax.

2. Learn to read the package details (ask companies for it if they don’t give it)

3. Don’t come under peer pressure while applying to companies. Remember you don’t want to join

all the companies that come on Day 1 Slot 1. There were far better companies (from my point of

view) coming at a later stage.

4. Some Indian tech companies are really doing a great job. Nutanix, InMobi & BrowserStack are

some I can think of and because of them being here you would actually be working on great stuff as

opposed to other MNC offices in India.

5. At the same time there are some Indian startups you really wouldn’t want to join. Keep an eye out for them too.

Oracle member technical staff interview

Aswin VFresherSelected
            Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Member Technical Staff role at Oracle
            Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: finding output/errors in a given code segment
            You should be familiar with OOP concepts and a few concepts like binary tree. Also aptitude and quant questions (like in CAT). They will test your coding skills thoroughly during the test (only in the prog. language that you opted) and will question your logic and your approach to the problem. Be thorough with your coding basics.

The tech rounds focused mostly on coding. You can choose any programming language that you are comfortable with. They are not insistent that you know Java. I chose C++. The interviewers mainly look at how you approach the questions (the way you solve the question - if its the most efficient/fastest solution to the problem). They will also ask quite a lot of puzzles (the ones you can prepare from Heard on the street, 400 puzzles etc.) and a few CAT quant qns.

HR round is very easy
            basic qns that you will prepare for any company. Be sure to attend the PPT; the HR will surely ask you a few qns from it. Also know a bit about the company and the profile you are sitting for.

The test is the only criteria for getting shortlisted to the interview round. There are certain Oracle profiles that are only open for CS and one which has a CG cutoff of 8.5. But for the App Dev profile there was no CG cutoff. your performance in the test is most important,because they generally do not entertain walkins during interview. Resume is not that important. Only HR team will have a look at it. If you have any coding experience (from any projects) or Java certification then its an added bonus. But its not mandatory.

1st year- concentrate on CGPA

2nd year - find out what you want(core or noncore). Do internships in starts ups or finance or consult companies if aiming for non-core. PORs are important

3rd year- internships.

4th year- start placement preparation very early.

Work well on your project if you want to go for core.

AVAYA member of technical staff, r&d department interview

VARUN D NFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Member of Technical Staff, R&D Department role at AVAYA
              Test HR Interview Technical Interview

Written test - upto 36 were shortlisted for the interviews (B.Tech, MCA).

Questions depended on project work put up on the resume and they asked questions from every subject- N/Ws, DB, OS, OOP.
                Basics of everything you have studied in 2&3 year.

Not getting placed early is not a reason to bury yourself in depression. Just work hard.

It's going to be exhausting. The placement interviews are more rigorous than internship interviews. Don't be surprised.