Manager

Manager Interview Questions and Tips

McKinsey manager interview

, 16.3k views
Varun KhullarExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Manager role at McKinsey
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: There is a steel company with 2 plants in India. Now it has done recent acquisitions abroad. What should be the organizational structure that it should put in place in these places, and what are the pros and cons of each?
I asked him some clarificatory questions on where all in the world have the plants to get an idea of the kind of local areas. He replied in US, Indonesia, Trinidad etc. I then proceeded to succinctly put the problem statement to he and he was ok with it. Then I asked for “some time to structure my thoughts” ☺. The structure I laid out was: 1. What is meant by ‘organizational structure’? Is our end goal to figure out the number of levels in an organization, the number of people at each level and the skill they require? 2. Understand the goal of the organization: a cost focus or a responsiveness focus, whats important in this industry? 3. Map the existing processes that the company is involved in (value chain) and look at how best the goal of the organization can be served with: a. Existing company people redeployed to the new countries b. People from the acquired companies to continue working c. New people to be hired It seemed that he was looking for something else in the structure that I missed as indicated by his body language. However, he answered my queries – For point 1 he said I should look at a broader picture of what an organizational structure means. What I had defined was a very micro view. For point 2 he said I can assume an undifferentiated product market and that cost is the main focus. Here I pointed out that since we are acquiring he plants, the main concern in the short term maybe quick ramp up of the plant. He liked that and said that there are actually 3 measures that we will rate our structure on: - Ramp up time - Cost - Accountability of the plant employees of its performance For point 3 he said it might not be so relevant to our discussion!! Clearly I was in a situation where I didn’t know what hit me since I thought I completely missed what he wanted on 2 of my three points. However I kept calm and asked him what is the way to understand the org structure? He said think about how it was organized in ITC. So I said: 1. Since ITC is a conglomerate, it has a structure of various businesses or divisions which function independently. A ‘Corporate’ division is common to all. 2. Within each division there are functional verticals like the Marketing function, Technical function, HR, Finance functions. Shirish liked the way I described the structures in ITC so he said good. He said that that is a macro ‘Product’ structure of businesses around products like cigarettes, paperboards, clothes. Then he probed me on what could be other structures? I replied that the sub-structure of ‘Functions’ like marketing, HR etc could be the macro structure itself. He said that’s the 2nd, what else? Then we had a discussion on other kind of structures and he led me to two other kinds – ‘Geographical’ and ‘Type of Customer’. Then I started to list of pros and cons of each structure. However he said are you missing the criteria, so I quickly referred my notes and realized that he had given the 3 measures to rate each structure earlier – ramp up time, cost and accountability. I then ranked each on the above and after a discussion with him concluded that we should start with a functional set up to ensure quick ramp up and then move towards a geographical set up to ensure the local accountability, and minimization of costs. He was happy with the way I recovered and synthesized. He then went on to explain that actually they went in with the geographical setup directly, and the functional setup was a pseudo layer on top, as there were ‘functional specialists’ that traveled to a location to ensure quick ramp up. Then He said is there anything else I wanted to know from him. Then I told him that in our previous meeting we had not talked about the challenges of working with the govt sector. So he talked on that for around 5 mins.
1. Proceed in the interview the way the interviewer wants you to. If he wants a free-flowing discussion, which was the case here once I laid out my structure, be flexible to do so. However, keep a track of open ends on your structure.
2. Don’t hesitate to ask the interviewer for help in case you are stuck. In my case it helped me a lot.
3. Don’t get flustered if stuck. Persevere and be calm.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The IPL is a 20-20 league of cricket. It consists of city teams, with players from within the city, <21 years old, or players ‘bought’ via an auction process. Celebrities like Shah rukh khan own these teams. Suppose ITC wants to sponsor this tournament, what should be the money it should be willing to pay for the rights?
Clarificatory questions from my side helped me understand what happens when a company sponsors the tournament. He replied that the tournaments might be branded like “Gold Flake Open”, and the company gets rights like logos on uniforms and on the cricket grounds, title rights etc. I asked about the duration of the tournament etc. Then I took time and laid out the valuation framework. Discounted cash flow analysis and NPV calculation, for which we will discuss the revenues, costs, and the discount rate. I gave details of revenue sources, cost heads. He said lets focus on the revenue sources. Here my proposition was that there could be an increase in the number of people (Users) or the number of times existing users smoke (Usage) due to the advertising in the IPL. He seemed satisfied with this hypothesis and asked me to go on. So I sought to define first the target segments. There was a simple quant test here. I used the urban Indian population (since rural people smoke bidis predominantly) of 30% of 1B, and assuming a life expectancy of 60 years and that smokers start from the age of 20 years got a figure of 200M smokers in India. Out of this assuming 1:1 male-female ratio, we arrived at 100M male smokers (assumed females don’t smoke). He now told me that actually there are only 10M smokers in India. So then I discussed that now we have to delineate the factors why people take up smoking (purchase drivers), and clearly figure out those people who took up smoking by seeing the IPL advertisements or related promotions. Also I mentioned that this would be a challenge to do practically on the ground. So how does the 10M number change (market expansion or increase in users) was part 1, and how much more do the 10M smoke (usage) was the other effect we need to consider. Then heasked me how we can make sure that we convert the advertising into sales. I knew he wanted to get some creative answers, so I said maybe stock up in the shops outside the stadiums, or mobile vendors (and more suggestions I don’t remember now). I did mention that advertising is banned in India for cigarettes and we would have to be careful in the suggestions. He was happy with the discussion on the revenues part. He asked me where would the new smokers come from? Would they be new or would they come from competition brands? Then we discussed a lot on the kind of up-trading that happens in cigarettes, namely, people who smoke bidis move onto cigarettes, and people who smoke small length cigarettes move up and start smoking ‘kings’ type cigarettes. Finally we came onto the valuations part to understand what should be the money ITC should be willing to pay. I explained the free cash flow formula, and how we would use it over the years to calculate the NPV. We had a small summary discussion here. Then he asked me if he had any question for me. I asked him does he feel the urge to do more ‘implementation’ work in McK since he is a doctor, and that I feel that I might get bored of doing only ‘strategy’ kind of work. He resonated the feeling and explained in depth what projects he had done and that a large % is implementation.
Here he clearly told me that he was not interested in too much structuring, so I reduced my writing but continued to speak all my answers in a structured manner. The interviewer felt nice that I responded to his style. So point is, adapt yourself to the situation, yet maintain the poise in your answers, don’t completely relax. Also please use the opportunity in the end to ask questions that you really want to get answers of. Link them up with the background of the interviewer. This shows commitment and preparation, and builds a last minute connection with the interviewer. Also be clear of the intricacies of the business you came from, it helps a lot if the case dwells on a similar topic.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: There is a consumer finance company that is thinking of starting a unsecured loan at the point of sale in large retailers like Tesco, for consumers who want to buy white goods like TVs, fridges etc. Does such a scheme make sense?
Clarificatory questions included understanding the types of products sold in the point of sale, the various stakeholders involved in the transaction. The 2nd question hit a chord with , he smiled and said that there are three stakeholders, the Retailer (Tesco or someone else), the Consumer Finance Company, and the Consumer. I knew at this point that I had to concentrate on each one separately. I laid out a simple structure of looking at the costs and benefits (or positives and negatives) for each stakeholder by getting into the scheme. He was ok with this, in fact he said this is exactly how it should be looked at. I started with the Retailer and said that there are only benefits since they get the sales revenues that earlier were not got since the consumers did not have funds. So the Retailer clearly wanted the scheme. For the Consumer Finance company I said that the cost would be the cost of raising the money to fund the loans which would depend on the default rate of these consumers. The benefit would be the interest that the consumer would pay on the loan. Then we had a discussion on how to estimate this default rate. Here I said we could use data from similar loan schemes in other countries since the type of product and the cost of the white goods (20-40K in this case) plays a role, or default rates on loans on other products in the particular region, since location and local demography also plays a role. Another benefit could be that a consumer finance company could occupy mind space with the consumers who might buy other products like home loans, car loans etc from the company in future. Overall, a consumer finance company might be keen to enter into this loan. For the consumers, He asked why would a consumer buy a loan from this company and not go the branch elsewhere and take a loan. I said that the convenience of getting the loan at the point of purchase was the single largest factor for the consumers. Also I added that now they would be able to purchase high value items higher in prestige value that they could not afford earlier, so impulse purchase might increase.On the whole, based on a discussion with he, I concluded that the consumer finance company would need to be cautious in proceeding with the loan since the default rates are not predictable. He inquired a way to solve this problem and I suggested that the loans be launched for selected products and consumer segments to start with as a pilot, and then expanded to other products and consumers.
Asking relevant questions in the beginning of the cases really helps as the interviewer starts helping you more, or will reveal information that would be critical in the case. Prepare the basic questions on leadership and teamwork well. This means they should be personalized, not the typical definitions. The examples should be crisp and explain the point well. Showing energy and impact during such answers is crucial otherwise they might appear faffy. At times when he was having a stone expression, I tried to smile and break him out of that mould.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: There is a chairman of a conglomerate. He has been on the post for 10 years, and is extremely dominating. He treats the various business heads like children, not letting them take any major decision. While the chairman has negatives, he believes a lot in strict performance management systems and enforced a robust system in all businesses which is working good. If you have 5 questions that you can ask anyone in the conglomerate and then go back to the chairman with the results to change his behavior, what would those 5 questions be, and to whom?
Since this was not a typical case, I broke out of the case mould and immediately asked for some time to think of the questions. I told him that I would follow a predecessor-based questioning model, simply put, subsequent questions would depend on the answers of the previous questions. He liked this approach. My 5 questions were as follows:
1. Select the business which has a large contribution to the conglomerate’s overall revenues, and ask the business head (who reports to the chairman): How many decisions has he independently taken in the last 12 months vs how many has he just implemented decisions of the chairman?
2. Based on the response of the first question, ask the business head what has been the impact both: a. On the individual business (to the company) performance: Company is not doing well, and the situation needs to be corrected/company is doing average/company is doing good. b. On the business head himself (to the individual) morale: He is thinking of quitting immediately/in some time/not at all. Based on these questions we would come to know the real impact of the chairman’s behavior on the company and the immediate reportees.
3. If the problem is serious, ask the business head which section of the employees are affected the most by the chairman’s decisions, say, mid level and shop floor level
4. and 5. Ask the mid level and shop floor level employees the same two sub-points as in question 2.
The questions should seek to address: - Verify whether there is a problem at all - Verify the extent of the problem - Verify the seriousness of the problem.
He seemed satisfied by the questions and the summary. That’s all he wanted to hear in the case, and I was also relieved☺.
here will always be cases you have not prepared for. Use common sense, and try to use your work experience to think of substance, and then put it in an easy to understand structure to communicate to the interviewer. Also try to enjoy the process. After multiple rounds of interviews, I had gotten over the fear of cases, and was smiling a lot and enjoying the process. Spend time with the alums from the various firms who would be coordinating the process, they will help calm nerves and give a good perspective on the proceedings.

• Case Solving Ability

McKinsey manager interview

, 16.3k views
Pankaj Gupta ExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Walk-in for Manager role at McKinsey

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A client wants to start retailing business. He intends to attract as many people as possible, to his stores. How would you go about advising the client.
I started by asking clarifying questions : 1) The purpose + Does client have anything specific in mind (wrt retail format, target segment, products to be sold, location etc) 2) What exactly is meant by attracting maximum number of people (footfalls? Purchase conversion?) At this stage itself I got information about the target segment : It is primarily income based and Delhi and Mumbai are two cities which have large % of population as set of people who can be attracted. Then I split the issue in two aspects that could attract/ bring people to store: a) Awareness b) the in-store experience/ value from shopping He said awareness is not an issue. Hence, I looked at experience aspects – (1) Proximity (2) product mix available (3) Value for Money in shopping (low price vs product differentiation) He told me to look at it as a case of Food Retailing. During this conversation the scope boiled down to identifying the parameters to maximize profits. I started considering Revenue and Cost as two aspects of profit. Revenue is driven from Quantity (Footfalls* conversion) and Price. Price dint come out as something to be considered as fixed. Hence quantity was to be maximized. Considering that Mumbai and Delhi were target cities, I asked if I needed to estimate the revenue. He told me to proceed and I estimated revenue using population -. Households (HH) -> HH greater than and less than 2 lpa of income (more than 2 lpa expected to visit stores). I asked about average usage of food by such a HH and Kaustub gave me certain numbers. He then asked me to proceed to other parameters in Food Retail. Having covered Revenue as the first part, I moved to Cost. He directly asked me to focus on location/ proximity. I said food retail (especially in Indian context, considering the mobility issue, vehicle ownership, road infra etc) is something that needs to have close proximity. The areas to be focused on would however be determined by per square foot cost. The high-end areas may not be a feasible option. However, emerging areas present a case to be considered. I asked if there was any data available on property rates. He told the rates were 200/sqft/month in high-end areas vs 100/sqft/month in emerging areas. Hence client should focus on Profit/sqft/month as primary metric for deciding where and how many stores to open. He asked me to end the case here. In the end (time for me to ask questions) I asked him about his views of Reliance’s strategy in retailing (they are entering many formats in retailing) and had a discussion around certain viewpoints.
Be confident and persistent even though the cases may seem kind of undefined or large in scope.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: ‘How would you commercialize poetry”
I started by asking clarifying questions : 1) What is exactly meant by commercialization – business/ profits/ practical usage 2) Is it general poetry or my poetry 3) Is there any time frame I need to consider for this. He said the purpose would be to make money from my own poetry and there is no specific time frame. I took a customary minute to think. I used MECE classification to consider two aspects of poetry usage/applications: (1) Academic usage (in text books etc) (2) Non Academic (NA) usage. I further classified NA usage into three areas – NGOs, Corporate(s) and Other commercial applications (namely lyrics for movie songs, advertisements etc. I told him that I had written a poem taking inspiration from a Cadbury’s advertisement) At this stage I said that for any further consideration one important parameter is the FIT of the product (my poetry) to these application areas. I defined FIT in terms of language (I write in Hindi, at time English) and content vs the actual need in respective areas (I gave a coupel of examples – my poems published in magazine by an NGO, couple of Hindi ads etc). I also said I can write for all of the identified application areas. In order to commercialize I assessed each usage area in terms of following parameters (a) Profit Margin (I stated here that the cost = my effort would be nearly same for all kinds of poetry) (b) Capability (FIT) c) Market Size (d) Access (my access to identified market) I made a matrix for assessment along these parameters and rated each on scale of Low, Medium and High. He asked me to focus on How to go about commercializing Other commercial applications. I said our of two areas - namely movie songs and advertisement, I should focus first on Advertisements first (as I have better access to this market). I also looked at another metric - % of advertisements/songs needing my poetry while defining the approach. I further looked at Access to Advertisements in terms of existing and New 148i.e. existing is through my past organizations and through my friends’ network. New means developing contacts through mails and agencies. He asked me to stop at this point and said ‘why don’t you start it right away’. In the end I asked him about his experience at McKinsey and his happiest moment while working there.
Be prepared to solve such cases based/ customized to your personal interest areas. I got two such cases (one in McKinsey and another one, related to Ball Dancing, in some other interview)

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A steel company wants to increase it’s Market Capitalization. How would you go about it.
Asked some questions to understand the problem better: 1) Something more about the client- location, which part of value chain does it operate in? 2) Is there any time frame in mind 3) By what magnitude does the client want market capitalization to increase He said time frame would be 4- 5 years. I drew the value chain of steel industry: RM (Iron ore, coal etc) -> Manufacturing of steel -> Distribution. He said client is currently operating in all. He also provided some information on location – the client had made acquisitions for Iron ore (worth 3 million USD) in US. I said that Market Capitalization would be essentially a multiple of Operating income and hence we should see the problem in two aspects – increasing Revenue and decreasing Cost. I asked him if this approach was fine. He told me to proceed. I said revenue was determined as Price* Output. I asked if price could be increased, which he told me to park aside. Then I discussed output: one way to increase would be through M&A. Other ways would be through Greenfield, Brownfield projects of Joint Venture. He asked me what should be done even before M&A and then dropped a hint about current operations. I immediately said ‘that is something to be looked at first’. Any excess capacity may be utilized to raise output. Further more, the aspects to be looked at would be (1) efficiency (2) RM (biggest chunk of cost) He told me to look at RM. I asked the need vs capacity of the acquisitions done by client in US (3 million tones of output). RM need was not satisfied. Hence more RM sourcing should be ensured through either contracts, locating close to RM sources, acquisitions as RM is biggest part of cost and would help increase the margins and hence market cap also. At this point he asked me about other possibilities of increasing the market cap. I said some ways of indicating god future growth (investments, strategic tie ups) would increase the market cap. He asked me what else could be done and indicated spin offs. I said there could be alternative to float a new firm (separate venture for RM) or sell shares as different types – Type A and Type B while keeping the firm as one entity. He was fine with that. He stopped the case here and said I I wanted to ask anything. I asked him if this was a real case and what had they done in this situation. Then I said that I have wondered what has prohibited systems such as Social Security from being implemented in India and how does he see that coming in future? We had a discussion around the same for about 5-7 minutes and the interview ended.
Does not matter much even if your case is not going exactly how you want it but don’t hesitate to take a step back and to make efforts while solving. Do keep interviewer involved in the case (Think aloud – may be ask the interviewer at times...if the approach is fair/ assumptions are fair) Prepare intelligent questions (which you have to ask to the interviewer). These could be either based on the case, interviewer’s field of work (typically they introduce themselves at the start of the interview) or relevant to PI in respective interviews. ‘and don’t worry, you can practice drafting good questions while the interview is going on’

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The client is a Financial service distributor. It currently sells only Fixed deposits (FD) and is considering selling of two new type of products –Life Insurance (LI) and Mutual Funds (MF). It has sales force of 1000 and operates in southern India. Will this work and what should he do about the sales force (hire more/ allocation)
I started by asking clarifying questions : 1) Tell some more about the client – are they only a distributor? Answer was Yes. 2) Is profit the criteria to be looked at for feasibility/ Sales Force allocation The structure that I made considered three aspects of the problem.
• Customers – are we targeting the same customers, how much of cannibalization (Share of wallet aspect) can we expect if same products are sold to same set of customers?
• Feasibility – in terms of skills (different selling skills for different products) Need/ demand in the market, training issues (all sales people selling all products?) Amount of investment required.
• Incentive alignment – He gave me information about prices of different products and clients margin (basis points). Target customers were same. As product type and related needs are different, cannibalization was not taken as an issue. Feasibility parameters were also fine. I calculated absolute margin (which is Revenue for our client) on each product. Then I said, for financial feasibility, Cash Flows need to be calculated and hence Revenue and cost need to be found. Hence Profit is a function of product Mix: Profit = Sum (Pi-Ci) And we know the values of Pi. I identified the possible costs as the commission to sales agents + The cost of channel (for each product). He was fine with this. He told me to focus on revenues only. He further gave me the capacity of Sales person (while selling only FDs, each person sells 10 FDs per month and if all products are sold the mix (4,8 and1 FD, MF and LI respectively). I calculated the as is case revenue (selling FD alone). I also found the profit (revenue for our client) in each category of products (as per the new mix) by existing sales force. (There were indeed a lot of calculations) The incremental profit was around 170 % more and I said on the basis of calculations, the model seems feasible but there are other parameters to be taken care – how to align incentives. Some part of incentives needs to be pegged to the number of products sold else higher margin products likely to be sold more (moreover there could be strategic reasons for selling even low margin products to customers – acquisition, customers may prefer to buy a basket of products from a single contact point/ sales person). He asked what would I say on basis of intuition ie, Should the client proceed with this. I thought and said Yes because the incremental impact is very high and even if some contingencies arise, the proposition is highly likely to be profitable. He agreed and seemed to be happy with this.
Try to present your opinion beyond the direct (numerical, as case may be) solution. It does help.

• Basic Knowledge Of How The Products In The Case Studies Work
  • Guesstimation Cases
  • Case Solving Ability

CleanMax Solar manager interview

, 3.6k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Manager role at CleanMax Solar
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

Around 120 people got into next round after the resume shortlist.
I guess a standard IIT format resume with some review from seniors would do. I didn't have any startup background nor any big POR's.

Solar Power, Dogs VS Cats, Idly Vs Vada, Is GD a good selection criteria?
Our groups topic was solar power.There were two panels, one of the panelist gave a few ridiculous topics like I mentioned above. He was just a one year senior from IIT Madras and I guess was having some fun. My panelist more or less stuck with something related to solar power. I was the last guy to speak in our group.I don't generally like to start the discussions.But by the time the first speaker among us (who thought he was going to get some bonus point) took a little longer to deliver his point and subsequently hurried his final sentence finished others were eager to jump in. And jump they did. I didn't want to raise my voice and enter the discussion forcefully. I waited for my chance. I started by summarizing the discussion till then and ended by guiding the discussion to a particular path. After this I earned the attention of the group and led the discussion. I brought in relevant examples and also expanded on the discussion of others.Towards the end I even asked the least participating member for his thoughts and at regular intervals summarized the discussion. It was like I shifted from first gear to fifth gear and took control of the car.And boy I was rewarded with an interview call. Two people made it to the next round from our group. The other guy spoke well throughout and made some good points. He was also present throughout the discussion and had good execution skill.
Practice!
Attend as many GD session as possible.I organised a quite a few sessions with my wing mates from as early as September. I learned a very important aspect of GD from the feedback session of Alumni GD workshop. So grab any opportunity to participate in GD sessions. The good old saying 'Practice makes man perfect holds' pretty good!
There is a myth that if you start GD you get bonus points.Very true, but only if you do it well. You should have strong material and good execution skill and shouldn't polarize the discussion to any one side. In my case the first speaker had material, didn't polarize the discussion but his execution was bad and subsequently didn't get selected for the next round. But this is the best chance for you to earn the attention of the group.
And also I know a lot of people who gets put off when they do not get chance to speak in first few minutes. Remember my case! It doesn't matter, All you have to do is master the art of paraphrasing (I learned it from the feedback of Alumni session). If others mention what you had in your mind before you just add to their point and give an extra dimension to it by summarizing their thought. Try winning over the group and earning their respect. You can do this by guiding the group to the end point and devising a strategy. In one other GD people patted me on the back after the session. It was a case study GD. All I did was devise a strategy for how to move forward and carry the discussion ahead. I was the leader of the pack.We didn't even complete the case study and I was the only one selected from the group. So here are the ground rules
1. Attend as many GD's as possible.
2. Start the GD if you are capable.
3. Mark your presence throughout the GD.
4. Paraphrase throughout the GD --> Guide the discussion.
5. Use your gestures well.
6. Involve others in the discussion.

To do the above you might have to be updated on the happenings around the world, meaning you will have to read newspaper. I used Inshorts app and Livemint.com . Learn how to politely interrupt others in GD. Ideal moment to give your point is when the current speaker is going to end his sentence, the time at which his voice wanes.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something that is not there in your resume?
  • Question 2: Why do you want to work with us?
  • Question 3: Where do you see your self in long term?
  • Question 4: I interviewed a lot of people today, What separates you from others?
  • Question 5: What did you do separately from the last year? (Based on my POR)
  • Question 6: Why a start UP?
  • Question 7: Other companies you have applied for?
  • Question 8: Are you comfortable to work in North India?
  • Question 9: Do you plan to do MBA?
  • Question 10: Important take away from one of the book I mentioned during the interview.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Do you know what we do? I explained in detail their business model.
  • Question 2: What are the factors you would consider when a client approach you for setting up the solar panels on their site?
  • Question 3: What factors will you consider if we were to consider going international?
Most of the selected candidates had three rounds of interviews. All the three was mix of HR and simple cases (I put it under technical because we didn't actually had to go through the standard case interview routine). My first interview was with my GD panelist. He recognized me and ensuing discussion was based on what I said in the GD.Due to large number of applicants this round was a short one, only around 10 minutes. Some people had only for 30 Seconds apparently. I was able to connect with him. We had discussion about the company's business model, my interests and key take away from one of the books I mentioned. Since It was a short round, he apologized for the abrupt end and indirectly gave me the clue I was in the next round.
The second round was with the South Indian business head and he was a foreigner. This was also a HR cum Tech round. I had a good feeling by the time it finished. I engaged him in the discussion and kept him curious throughout.
Third round was with a recent pass out. It was like talking to one of the seniors in freshmen year. I kept my cool and told him about my intention to join start up.

In all the interviews, they wanted to know if you are really interested in joining a start up? Do you know about the company and what they do? Do you have good communication skills? They wanted to understand our thought process. I guess they checked for the qualities to do the job and your intention behind applying for the job.
Do read up about all the companies you are interested in thoroughly. This saved me in this interview especially as it was repeated in all the three interviews.
Prepare for standard HR questions. Ideal way would be to make a word doc with all the answers. But if your lazy to do that, frame answers to all the questions in your mind in the final few weeks or so and think about the different variants of the questions.
Interviewers is here for people with specific qualities which would be necessary in the job. Our job is to showcase that qualities in us to them. The way you would do that is by first understanding what qualities they want. This information can be got from the job description in placement portal, Pre Placement Talk(PPT) and company website (About Us, Vision and Mission). Once this is done, pick instances from your life that exhibits these qualities and simply put it in front of them. One of the issues with people I have noticed is they mug up answers and sweat during the interviews when they are unable to pull it of the way they want during interviews. This is a strict NO - NO . Just have few bullet points and convey it in your natural style. Idea is to get get your message across and not to impress others with your English. Treat interviews as discussions, an opportunity to introduce yourself to a stranger and to understand about the organisation that you are going to work for. It is not a VIVA where the person on other side of the table grills you.
Show a lot of energy during the interview and pull of your best face throughout the interview. Pause adequately while you talk and do the talking in a composed manner.
Please remove your bag outside the room and only carry your folder to the room. Show him you mean business.
Greet --> Shake hands , You know first impression is the best impression.
Carry your own stationery. i.e Pen, A4 sheets, Resume copies (In fact offer him one once you enter).
Also do carry anything that you consider showing him that is in your resume like Case report etc.

Be prepared on everything on your resume. Do not put junk in your resume. You never know what will catch the interviewers eye. Do not

• Knowledge About The Company
  • Thought Process
  • Clear Communication
  • Ability To Express Your Ideas
Basically read about the company thoroughly and express your thoughts clearly!

• 400 Puzzles,
  • Case Interview Cracked,
  • Analytics Edge,
Start your preparations early.<br />
Spend enough time on your Resume. Get it reviewed by seniors. Different seniors might suggest differently but in the end its your Resume, So present it in your way by incorporating the suggestions.<br />
Prepare for at least two different fields and spend most of the time for the field you want.<br />
Prepare for few specific companies you are really interested in. Reach out to seniors for specific preparation strategy. Right from the resume stage.<br />
Do not believe in myths like this company shortlists only studs. Believe me its not true.<br />
Take practice tests through TIME and pariksha.co<br />
Attend PPT's --> These are first hand accounts about the company<br />
Don't be put off by a bad interview. Flush it out from your memory after juicing out the positives and learning from the negatives.<br />
Know why you are in the interview room. NOT because your'e resume is good and you applied because your friends applied. Show him why you are the ideal candidate for the job.<br />
Have belief in your abilities, No point in doubting yourself at the last moment. Show your energy.<br />
Remember its a discussion NOT a Viva.<br />
Most importantly enjoy the discussion, the cases and puzzles. Is it not fun to estimate number of people eating Idly at this time in your state? :) <br />
Do the preparation in groups(of your wingies /Study groups).<br />
Its a fun experience and one that you will be proud of later. So better make it count
Solar energy is having a moment now. The industry is booming and is only going to get better. I am going to make the world a better place to live. The company is technology based, not a service based one. They don't burn investors cash. Its a startup environment were opportunities are endless. You grow the most when environment around you also grows very fast.
As we friends discuss and help each other out during resume making, Our resumes inevitably happens to contain similar phrasing.Interviewer who was a recent pass-out pointed it out. I had to justify why I put it that way.

Tata Motors manager interview

, 19.9k views
Anurag MishraFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Guwahati for MANAGER role at Tata Motors
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Interview Interview Interview Interview Interview

Cut-off was on the pointer basis for Tata. It was 6.0 Only

• Section 1: Quant
  • Section 2: Reasoning
  • Section 3: English
  • Section 4: Technical
QUESTIONS WERE SIMPLE BUT TIME MANAGEMENT IS VERY IMPORTANT. YOU HAVE TO GIVE THE ANSWERS IN A SINGLE SHOT.THERE WAS NO RETURN OR GO BACK OPTION. ONCE PASSED THE QUESTION, YOU CAN'T VIEW IT AGAIN. SO BE CAREFUL WHILE GIVING THE ANSWERS.
Time ManagementProper practice of the sections mentioned above
Cut-Off will be high because od moderate level of questions

Rupee Depreciation
It is one of the challenging round,because you have to show your talent to speak confidently and politely, listen curiously and show your leadership skills to gauge the results in a concluding remark.
I have spoken only for 30-40 seconds after 8 minutes in 10 minutes GD but i have given a new dimension and guided the GD in a appropriate direction so got selected.
Must work on communication skills.
Quality of content is very important not the quantity.Your thoughts should be clear and audible.Try to take the initiative and to summarize the GD.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about youself.
Panel was very supportive and they will try to make you as comfortable as possible.
Make a honest self-analysis and try to sell yourself in the best way possible as per the need of the interviewer and the post for which they are looking the people.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked a few questions related to my m-tech project and it's application
It was nice.I have seen them my full detailed phase1 report and explained them, in the best possible way.
Do your project sincerely take a few subjects and prepare them in the best possible way.
They will definitely ask about your favorite subjects and ask very basic questions and major practical applications.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me your favourite subjects
i have told IC engines. So they asked me how can you increase the power of the IC engines without doing any major modifications in the engine just by using design of it?
Your approach is very much important than your correct answer. So give the proper logic behind your answer.Try to be cool, calm and confident even in the worst situations.So many times,they intentional try to puzzle you and observe your approach & reaction.

Interview

Your body language and soft-skills matters a lot. So please try to work on it sincerely.<br /> Be honest in the interview. Prepare your projects and industrial training sincerely.Tell them, why they should take you?<br /> Sell yourself in the best way possible. Try to take the control of the interview in your hands and bring them in those areas where you are really strong and talk in those areas as much as possible.
    Be confident. It is the one thing without which having all you can't sail out the competition.<br />
    Prepare common HR questions honestly like- tell me about yourself?<br />
    Why we should hire you and where do you see yourself after 5 years?<br />
    Be confident in GD.If not then take some mock GD with friends.
    Great place to work and learn especially in R&D.<br />
    Automobile world,one of my favorite areas of interest.<br />
    Work-life balance and nice location like Pune, Lucknow.<br />
    Social initiatives to make a large impact for social-welfare.
    My interview has gone just for 10 minutes.I was successful to make a good 1st impression. They have asked only a few questions and honestly telling i was not able to tell them accurately and they said ok' now you can go.<br />
    I thought i am completely out of the game because my colleagues interviews have gone much longer.I was waiting outside of my biggest failure but was shocked to listen my name 4th in the list of 8 people.<br />
    The best moment of my life i got selected in my dream company with my best friend..............:)<br />
    partyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,<br />
    All the best

Accenture manager interview

, 24.1k views
    Rahul MishraExperiencedSelected
    Application
    I Applied for job through Personal Contacts for Manager role at Accenture
    HR Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell about a trait of your personality that you think is a strength in personal life but does not serve you well in professional life? "one trait that think is a professional strength but not a positive thing in personal life”.
    This round was primarily a personal round revolving around the CV. The question broadly covered the various things done at ISB and the extra-
    curricular. A lot of expected question were there on the Strengths, weaknesses, successes, Stay at ISB, Comparison with Undergrad education at IIT-B.
    The interviewer was insistent that I answer both but I answered the first part and said that there was nothing I could think of for the second part because I just could not relate to such a separation in personal and professional personalities. Of course the answer was detailed and elaborate and ultimately convincing.

The conversation was a very easy one. I think I was able to break ice very early in the discussion and was always conscious for the crispness of my answers. As a result we were able to have a long discussion about a lot of different issues during the 30 minute+ long discussion. I was also trying to build a coherent storyline throughout by citing examples and connecting back to things I had earlier said in the interview.
    Be sure to have a consistent story for all of the above and make sure that you keep corroborating your claims and assertion from time to time. For every aspect I was asked to site an example.
    Be very thorough with you CV. Elaborate every point of your CV and prepare answers to the standard expected questions. Make sure you have rehearsed them well enough.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: An international Office stationary retailer has just entered India and set up a sample store in Bangalore in association with an India Retail Giant. The store has been open for 3 months now. What should the international retailer do in the coming times and what should be there strategy?
    I started by looking at the international retailer (Company) and its Indian partner? Why the venture, what strengths, type of contract, etc. it seems the company had efficient back end operation and the front end expertise was with the Indian partner. They would need 6 months to get out of contractual obligations. The operation is merely breaking even right now. I also looked at the competition and customers buckets and there was not enough information available on this.
    After this initial analysis the case question was flipped to find out the drivers of setting up a retail store. Some of the drivers discussed were :
    - Geography (decided by regulation, logistics, operations, etc)
    - Store format (Departmental, Hypermart, location in city or outside city)
    - Product Mix ( What would be item stocked)
    - Partnerships (potential allies)
    - Competition
    - Target Customers (to decide Footfalls X Conversion Rate X Ticket Size)
    The next part of the case was that where will I gather information about all these, customers, geographies, etc. I said there could be two ways of collecting information: Primary Research and Secondary Research. Primary we can collected from other stores, scanner data, Pilot study, survey, etc Secondary could be done through industry and analyst reports like Crisil, Datamonitor, ISI Emerging markets, These reports normally give detailed outlook about cities, types of formats, conversion rates, catchment area and other parameters. Given that we had just one monthinformation, Secondary research would be more appropriate.
    Keep your cool

• HR Skills

Reliance manager interview

, 15.5k views
    Vaibhav BafnaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for MANAGER role at Reliance
    Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
    • Section 2: Technical
    Aptitude paper was a challenging one but i enjoyed doing it. Technical paper was also good. Questions were asked based on basic knowledge about the technical topics related to your branch.
    In Aptitude, try to do problems that you are sure of first, don't waste too much time on one question. Prepare well the topics like Number System, Probability, Profit-Loss and others.For Technical, prepare thoroughly topics like Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Mass & Heat Transfer and Chemical Reaction Engineering.

There was a combined HR + Technical Interview. It proceeded very smoothly. Firstly he asked my general introduction, after that he moved on to extra curricular activities that u did in your college days. Next, he asked me some questions related to Industrial Training and finally some questions related to technical topics of your particular subject. In the end, he asked me if I wanted to ask something from him and I asked. That,s all and the interview was over.
    First of all, be confident, do not panic while talking to interviewer, keep proper eye contact, be honest - means do not try to manipulate him ; if you do not know the answer or are not able to recall it.. simply say no to the interviewer. Prepare your Industrial Training properly. Do not give false information about yourself. Overall, be cool and confident... I am sure you will have greater chances to crack interview.

• Confidence

• H. Himmelblau for CRE,
    • YVC Rao for Thermodynamics,
    Videos
    • Youtube links regarding Reliance interviews,
    Reliance is one of the fortune 500 company in the world. It is the largest Private sector company of India. It has largest petroleum Refinery of world at Jamnagar (Gujarat). There is a huge amount of opportunities of growth and promotions in this company. As a chemical engineer, this is a dream company for me and i am very proud of myself to get placed in such a prestigious organisation.

FITSO manager interview

, 1.1k views
    DeveshExperiencedSelected
    Application
    I Applied for job through Referral for Manager role at FITSO

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What are the type of articles you have written?
    Over 2 years of experience as Content Manager
    From this question you would be judged on the basis of which type of articles you're ‘interested’ to write, so that the employer would be able to allocate specific contents to you depending on your interests. But sometimes, there are writers who do manage to write a variety of topics. This would mean that they have habit of reading and gathering information - which is always best for any employer.

No words can describe the environment they have created inhouse. Hats off FITSO! The vibes coming out were postive, fun filled and attractive to a soon-going to be a graduate-counterculture-aspirant! I was asked to wait in the waiting room with other job aspirants. And thats when the time bomb started ticking inside my head! But all the senior people I spoke with were very supportive - one of the best interview experiences I had in my life.

• 1)communication
    • Writing Skills
    Avoid shaking or fidgeting hands or knees while answering questions. Sit straight,have ur hands on ur lap and be calm. Dont point towards anybody.<br /> <br />

• On writing,
    • Zen in the art of writing,
    • Bird by bird,
    Frame your answers wisely. dont use terms in your answers you dont know about, coz most HRs have tendency 2 ask Qs from your answer. I was setting bait by using only terms i know in my answers, and in a way, was able to manipulate the HR in2 asking questions from my strengths and away from my weaknesses.
    The founding team at FITSO is a bunch of young IIT graduates which makes the entire atmosphere at the company quite chilled out as well as inspiring at the same time. When you're working in FITSO it doesn't feel like you're trapped in some sort of traditional corporate setting.

Axis Bank manager interview

, 7k views
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus for Manager role at Axis Bank in Dec, 2016
    Test Technical + HR Interview

1 Hours 30 Minutes
    • Section 1: Verbal Ability
    • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
    • Section 3: Quantitative Ability
    • Section 4: Occupational Personality Questionnaire
    Easy to clear; Each section had its own time limit.
    No special Preparation Needed

Technical + HR Interview

1. Axis Bank would like to minimize the losses incurred by transactions being declined. Suggest strategies and formulate it as an optimization Problem.

2. Suggest a situation where you have guided your team through a difficult situation.

3.Would you be okay with working in Mumbai?
    Ans:
    1. Main loss incurred is through ATM running out of cash.
    Possible solutions are increasing refill frequency and increasing amount refilled. Multi-objective problem with objectives as reducing the cost incurred for refill and reducing the losses due to ATM running out of cash. Constraints being maximum refill amount and maximum refill frequency. Try to think of additional constraints which will be experienced real-time.

• Optimisation
    • Analytical Skills

Accenture it services interview

, 4.7k views
    FresherNot Selected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at GITAM University, Visakhapatnam for IT services role at Accenture
    Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Logical Reasoning
    • Section 2: Quantative Aptitude
    • Section 3: English
    The test was quiet easy. The basics of Mathematics and some English would make you pass. Speed is the only thing that matters in this exam. Time management plays a crucial role.
    Time Management.
    Maintaining Cool.
    Maintaining some extra time for review.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Group Discussion on the topic of Modi's Governance.
    • Question 2: Tell me about yourself.
    This interview included 4 people at once. This was the last interview. We were called upon and were asked to discuss about Modi's Governance. We were through that, then the HR asked us to talk something about ourselves.
    Maintaining the cool.
    Should never feel stressed.
    Whatever we speak should have a clear concluding sentence.

• 1)communication
    You have to be frank, and speak freely without thinking on how you are speaking.

• Some Online Sites As Test Was Conducted By Cocubes.com,
    You should feel confident and should be willing to talk freely. Should speak something that makes sense and not just following others statement.
    Go for it.

Reliance manager interview

, 4k views
    Devesh Singh LodhiFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Agartala for MANAGER role at Reliance
    Test Technical Interview

30+12 Minutes
    30+50 questions
    • Section 1: Technical Test
    • Section 2: Aptitude Test
    Overall it was good. The questions tested the basics.
    Fill the OMR as soon as you solve the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What is your final year project?
    • Question 2: What is your favourite subject / topic?
    Here also they tried to get the basics out.
    If you do not know the latest technologies its ok but your basics should be strong.

This is the alert