Management Trainee - Technical

Management Trainee - Technical Interview Questions and Tips

ITC management trainee - technical interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Management Trainee - Technical role at ITC
Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Topic is generally the same as that at the time of intern or last year placement (of prioritizing options or things or causes).
There were 8 of us.
1. Don’t be dominant, try to put your points confidently in such a way that the group agrees to the priority number you set.
2. Though it is always good to start a GD and lay down a structure which others follow but then also it’s not sure that you will be selected.
3. Keep track of time and try to summarize before GD’s duration is over. Also note the priority number decided by the group on the paper given to you (most people forget to do that).
4. Keep making notes (helps in summarizing).

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself?
  • Question 2: Questions on my B.Tech Project?
  • Question 3: Air Compressor and Refrigeration Cycle?
  • Question 4: Questions on Leadership Skills?
  • Question 5: How would you transfer a highly viscous liquid which easily gets agitated (bubble formation) from one vessel to another?
It was a mix of HR and Technical interview. Panel was of 2 persons (an IIT guy serving ITC for like 2-3 years and other one a bit senior to him (wasn’t from IIT)) and interview lasted for 1 hour.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: CPI related questions (why not go for MS?)
  • Question 2: Random technical questions (Diesel & Petrol Engine, Fluidization, Pumps (what can be the possible problems when flow rate of water to be transferred in a high-storeyed building is low?), some question from Theory of Machines, etc.)
  • Question 3: Weaknesses and how I try to overcome it?
  • Question 4: Their views about me and then asking my views about myself?
  • Question 5: Last question (the 1st and the last question in the whole interview from the man (who kept looking at me very keenly the whole time) who seemed to be an HR guy): Have you ever fallen in love?
It was also a mixed interview. Panel was of 2 very senior members (one seemed to be an HR member and other one seemed to be a Factory or Division Manager) and the interview lasted for 1 hour.

• Energy Systems
  • Thermodynamics
  • Fluid Dynamics
  • Theory of Machines
Energy Systems both 1st and 2nd (for ME study pumps separately)
1. Do take a sleep of at least 3-4 hours before coming for the interview.

2. Never try to be over smart or over confident about yourselves. PLEASE prepare for the interviews and GD. GD topics are the same as previous years so try them out in groups.

3. Don’t reach at the final answer in an interview without proper reasoning or paperwork. Speak what you are thinking. They will be giving some cues to help you.

4. At least make an elaborate diagram in questions related to thermo and fluids (mark the details). Mug up the pumps classification.

5. Also don’t try to copy the form from someone else. Be yourself.

6. Prioritize your companies. Give some thought to what you enjoy doing rather than just running for the money. It’s better to talk to people already working in the companies you are targeting, ask them about the work profile and then come at a decision.

7. It’s a myth that some companies have a hit list although it can be the case that you may feel that you are at a lower priority but if you perform better than everyone else then you will be the one hired.

8. Try not to put your foot in more than 2 sectors or 4 companies on the 1st day.

9. Once you are qualified for the interview round then CPI can never be the reason for not selecting you. Keep in mind that you are never rejected, either you are selected or not selected. And, it’s just a beginning to your career.

10. From whatever I learnt form asking people is that 10-15 years down the line everyone would be almost at the same level independent of your starting package and you will be thinking how stupid you were at the time of placements running madly for money or brand name. So, go for what you want rather than what your wingie or any XYZ person wants.

Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

20-25 Minutes
A group of people is stranded in a forest with 15 things. The group has to prioritize the materials.
Number of people were 8. Generally, the topics are repeated so it would be a good idea to think about them before as everybody else will. However, one should be prepared for a fresh topic. Structuring and controlling/moderating the group is very important and will fetch heavy points. Also ITC is a very ethical company, so a proper decorum and formal environment is needed in the GD. Shouting and being a bad listener gets one negative points.
One could play certain games like speaking for a minute on any random topic given by someone else. These games help remove the inhibition of speaking in English and add to fluency. The only way to improve discussion skills is practicing speaking in English on random topics.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Form based questions (elaborate any answer)
  • Question 2: How was your internship experience, why didn’t you get a PPO?
  • Question 3: You don’t seem like a manager, convince us that you are suitable for this profile?
  • Question 4: What kind of leadership roles have you taken in the campus?
  • Question 5: Would you prefer ITC over BCG?
  • Question 6: Suppose I am the person hiring form BCG, will your answer change to the above question?
Yes, they do ask this difficult question, but the key is to remain positive and not regret any experience.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is a PID controller?
  • Question 2: How do you derive the continuity equation?
  • Question 3: Write down the continuity equation for a compressible flow?
  • Question 4: Explain swinging of the cricket ball?
  • Question 5: What are the different terms in the Navier Stokes equation?
I was asked basics of process control (as my work in internship was linked to it ). However, I was not very comfortable with this subject, so I kindly requested them to ask from my strong subject Fluid dynamics. (Again , this is a risk which paid off in my case, might not work always.) Panel consists of 2 HR guys and one senior alum of IIT B and the duration was 40 minutes. Since my internship was with HUL, a lot of questions were asked on the project and its utility. BE thorough with any internship/projects that are mentioned in the form. I was also asked to defend my not getting a PPO with HUL.

• Fluid Mechanics
  • Thermodynamics
Along with basics of equipments used in factories like pumps, Heat exchangers, mixers, etc. However basic concepts of all courses should be revised as there could be questions from controls, separation process etc.
1. Good CPI and department rank is a big plus

2. Should have clear basic understanding of technical course materials, specially of those courses which relate to industry (eg: fluid and thermodynamics for chemical).

3. Form is very important, spare a lot of time and be thorough with all the answers

4. For people with very strong profiles, prepare convincing answers of why ITC.

5. They need strong headed people but do not be over confident or cocky

6. Lastly, always wear a smile to the interviews.

TATA Steel management trainee - technical interview

Amaresh BindFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Management Trainee - Technical role at TATA Steel
Resume Shortlist Test Technical + HR Interview

The post was open for B. Tech Chemical Engineering.
All the people who applied were allowed to write test.
Focus on internship.

• Section 1: Quantitative Mathematics- 20 Questions- 20 Minutes
  • Section 2: English- 20 Questions - 20 Minutes
  • Section 3: Chemical Engineering- 25 Questions- 35 Minutes
The test was on amacat aspiringminds.com platform.
You cannot go back to the previous question.
Quant was average and easy difficulty level and English was ok to deal with. Some word meaning questions were also there.

In chemical engineering section, most of the questions were based on basic concepts of chemical engineering. Very few questions involved calculations.
Some topics: Evaporator, McCabe-Thiele Method, Slope of q-line, Gas Manometer pressure Measurement.
Out of ~40 people applied ~16 were shortlisted for the interview process.
CGPA of the shortlisted candidate varied from ~7 - ~(<9).
Attend all questions in Chemical Engineering Section to make sure that you do correctly at least all easy questions.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The difference between distillation column and absorption column. What factor decides the feasibility to use distillation column to separate two components?
  • Question 2: Heat transfer rate through walls of different conductivity and of the same area of heat transfer and length.
Technical:
Most of the technical questions were based on internships (I didn't write anything about any project) that were written on the resume.
Internship 1. Heat Exchanger Analysis:
Q1. What did you do in this Heat exchanger analysis?
Q2: What type of heat exchanger were used? How many passes?
Q3. You have written effectiveness in the resume, what is it?

Internship 2. Sulphur Capture Optimization in CFBC Boilers:
Q1. What was the project? What did you do?

HR:
Tell me about yourself in brief?
Answer all question with clarity and clear understanding of your internships, use a notebook to explain.

• Fit for company, its ethics

15-20 Minutes
Any adverse situation, how you will classify the order of importance of resources available to you to overcome the situation.
There were around 8-10 of us.
1. Be calm and confident, do not speak too much or speak forcefully just for the sake of speaking.
2. Best method would be to classify the items into groups and prioritizing the groups as a whole before jumping into the individual priorities inside these groups.
3. Come up with innovative usages of the items, justifying their importance. Conclude properly.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Core subject related questions.
  • Question 2: Question on pipe length of a pump?
  • Question 3: Questions on rankine cycle and other thermodynamic cycles?
  • Question 4: Questions on your area of interest?
Panel was of 2-3 interviewers, usually seniors having 2-4 years of experience and lasted for 15-20 minutes.
The no. of such questions will depend on how many you answer correctly.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why do you want to join the company?
  • Question 2: Why are you suitable for the job?
  • Question 3: What is your most significant achievement?
  • Question 4: Give an instance of your leadership skills/ an instance where you put Mind over Matter?
  • Question 5: Have you ever addressed social/environmental concerns?
  • Question 6: What are the sectors in ITC? Where do you want to work? Do you have any problem working in a cigarette factory? What are your preferred locations?
  • Question 7: How have you, as a Gen-sec, brought about any radical change, compared to past traditions?
  • Question 8: Crack a Joke?
Panel was of Senior executives from the Company (usually region-heads) and interview lasted for 15-20 minutes.

• Thermodynamics (Laws and Cycles)
  • Turbomachinery
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • Viscosity
  • Solid Mechanics
  • Engineering basics
  • Pumps and Compressors
Questions from your area of expertise/projects(For eg: they asked me from Robotics and about PID Controllers)
1. Be confident in both GD and PI, learn/revise the core courses thoroughly, Be yourself, demonstrate your real-life practicality skills if asked (situation-based questions).

2. Try to divert the interviewer to your area of interest. Else he may ask from any topic.

3. Don't think too much over a question or give wrong answers. Accept that you don't know- It doesn't leave a bad impression.

4. Don't forget to shake hands firmly and wish the panel before sitting down.

5. Don't speak too much. Be brief and concise.

6. Be ready to crack a joke if asked to! (They asked me)

Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Surviving after a plane crash in a rainforest and preparing a priority list of all the things you are left with.
There were 8 people. Some people try to read the case beforehand. I don’t think one should do so as your views regarding the topic get biased and usually people don’t follow the natural course of discussion.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions on Digital circuits and Organic electronics.
Panel was of Two senior persons (One has been with ITC for more than 6 years and the other one around 3 years) and the interview lasted for 1 hour. They also discussed about my family, my hometown Ayodhya, Dramatics, my long term plans and how does joining ITC helping in that.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions focused on my tenure as GenSec Cultural Council.
  • Question 2: What I prefer acting or directing?
  • Question 3: What are the qualities of a good director?
  • Question 4: What I prefer to do comedy, tragedy or drama?
  • Question 5: Few questions regarding the issues on which I wrote street plays?
  • Question 6: 3 strengths of your best friend in IIT Kanpur?
  • Question 7: Questions regarding my performance in GD, focused on my contribution and the way GD might have gone if I would have been dominating.
  • Question 8: Would I be comfortable working in a cigarette factory?
  • Question 9: Would I be comfortable working in places like Saharanpur, Munger etc.?
  • Question 10: Can you mimic us?
Panel was of One senior person from Tobacco division and One from PSPD.

• Power Electronics

• ESO210,
1. Take the form seriously and don’t fill anything without proper thinking.

2. Try to be as honest as possible and don’t try to cover up your mistakes. Tell them what went wrong and what you learnt from it.

ITC management trainee - technical interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Management Trainee - Technical role at ITC
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Interview Interview

A shortlist is prepared based on your CV. Points are given for academic record, extra curricular, positions of responsibility and projects and internships.
Fill in the subjective questions after a lot of introspection, don’t just write down anything. Also make sure that what you are writing is true because they may grill you about it.

Energy analysis case
A Group Discussion of around 8 people was held. A total of 15 minutes were given and the time to think was deductible from those given 15 minutes only.
Try to put up valid points, don’t just speak for the sake of speaking. Be fluent and don’t scream or shout. Remember to always remain calm.

Interview

Interview

Interview Questions

Always pays to have a CGPA of 8.5 - 9. ITC doesnt mind if you have a 9+ CGPA, but in that case be ready to justify why you are not going for higher studies such as an MS degree
        ust be thorough with your department and remain calm, then you will have a very good chance.