Management Trainee

Management Trainee Interview Questions and Tips

L&T management trainee interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Management Trainee role at L&T
Test Technical Interview Form filling HR Interview

60+30 Minutes
100+45 questions
  • Section 1: Aptitude Test-1
  • Section 2: Aptitude Test-2
1. Easy level CAT preps. Questions on basic math, Prob. & Stats, Speed
2. Totally English based test, 15 paragraphs 8-10 liners, 3 ques on each, direct and easy ques, answers
available in the paragraphs itself, no deep thinking required, only good Speed required.
1. Dist. Time questions, only Speed is imp. Shortlisted 40 of 120 (both BTech and MTech)
2. Shortlisted 15-18 of 40

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Project, internship, BTP-based questions
  • Question 2: Basic coursework - department based
No question on extra knowledge, have clear understanding of things related to your resume
Eg. What is your favorite subject and then questions on that subject.
Eg. Your BTP seems to be quite interesting, please elaborate on it

Form filling

A form was filled in the interview which consisted of: Personal details, projects, interns, BTP, qualities,
extracurricular activities. Questions were based mostly on this form and some general questions like:
• About Yourself
• Knowledge on finance
• Tell about 3 topics of current affairs
No resume related questions.
Some basic questions were asked:
• What is welding (asked to all candidates)
• Questions on mechanical properties of materials like: What is hardness and tests to measure hardness

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why you want to join company?
  • Question 2: How you would be helpful?
  • Question 3: Tell something creative that you have done, something which you think that very few people have done
  • Question 4: Why did you choose MME dept. and why did you choose IITK?
  • Question 5: Strengths and weaknesses ?
  • Question 6: What do you think about our selection procedure?
30 minutes duration.

1. Courses in particular are not required but, should have clear understanding of your project, interns and BTP and general concepts of each coursework.

2. For MME Dept.: You really need to prepare very hard as there are very few companies for our

Dept. Prepare well for your BTP and projects. In the HR interview try to justify each and every point you

speak from your day to day examples.

Bhushan Steel management trainee interview

Rahul PatidarFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Raipur for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Bhushan Steel
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: technical
    As has been highlighted again and again in almost every experience Written is the most important round and can be perfected only by hard work.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: types of heat treatment, difference between normalizing and annealing, what is annealing temp. of 0.028%C?
    -Prepare your subjects which relate to the company's field.-Technical PI’s are by far the most important thing in any core job.-You should know what you are going to do in that company

Interview Questions
      -Show them how much interested and confident you are for that position in their company.

-It will be helpful to collect some information on company beforehand.CPI is not that important in placement procedure it just highlights you in their list of preference

-Important is that how you perform in PI and how you manage them to satisfy them by your answers.

-Do what you want, never miss any opportunity, every one is having something for their future so never give-up.-Try again again and again until you do not achieve what you want.-As every experience teaches you something which will be helpful in your future.
        As I entered for HR round, HR commented on me " You are so slim than how you will work in steel industries". :)

Bharat Petroleum management trainee interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for Management Trainee role at Bharat Petroleum
        CGPA Group Discussion HR Interview

CGPA

No written round, shortlisted on CGPA basis (more than 7.5 CGPE upto 7th sem).

Case Study

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Summer Training
        • Question 2: Projects Undertaken
        Two Rounds of interview
        1st Round interview was purely technical
         A Group of 6 jury member conducted the round. Level of question was high when compared with other companies, mostly questions were application based from Fluid mechanics, Hydraulic machines, Manufacturing, Material science & I. C. Engine.
        2nd Round interview was H R based
        Questions were easy but a little bit tricky.
        I think projects undertaken was my strongest zone, I have done 15 projects in my B.Tech and I was a part of many technical and cultural activities in the college fest. With having one of the heaviest CV I presented my technical, managerial, leadership and creative skills in front of the jury. They asked me to explain one of the case study that I have presented in Cairn Ace on “making India energy self-sufficient by 2030” & I was able to grasp their attention with my points.
        The interview was really fantastic, interviewers were highly knowledgeable, experienced and they went into the depth of each subject. It is not only the right answer that matters but how confidently you present your answer.
        I suggest to the viewers to take summer training seriously as it matters in most of the companies.You should clearly know what your weaknesses are and present them straight forward if interviewer ask but prepare an answer what efforts you have made or making to improve them.
        NO one is prefect but your efforts really make a difference.

• Communication Skills
        • Technicall Skills
        1. I will suggest them to focus on all round development rather than just confining to a high CGPA.

2. You should clearly know what your weaknesses are and present them straight forward if interviewer ask but prepare an answer what efforts you have made or making to improve them.

NO one is prefect but your efforts really make a difference.

3. Have knowledge about the latest political and economic issues as it is topic of almost GD’s.

Mercedes-Benz management trainee interview

Ranjana DeviFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Mercedes-Benz
        Group Discussion Technical Interview Technical Interview

15-20min Minutes
        To rank ten options like poverty, corruption, women empowerment in the order of their importance to be solved in India
        I was the moderator for this debate. So I gave the structure and have written the pros and cons against every option. Also I was taking care of time management.
        Should be sensible and be able to justify. Should understand the weightages by considering the present and the past situations relating to the topics

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
        I had a bullet points ready that emphasized on my strengths that can help the job profile. I also discussed the value I have for my family and education which helped me everywhere to make right choices.
        Always prepare for this question

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Thermodynamics questions like what will happen to the room temperature if the fridge door is open?
        answer was simple temp of the room raises
        Even if you dont know the answer, I suggest that you take a paper and show the interviewer how you will solve for it. Also state assumptions you have taken.

• Technical Skills
        Focus on your Study.. Revise the subject that you have studied at the time of Interview

• R.S. Agrawal for APTITUDE.,
        Videos
        • N.P.T.E.L. Videos,
        • Soft Skills Development by NCVT,
        Brand value

American Express management trainee interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Management Trainee role at American Express
        Curriculum vitae submission Test Technical Interview

Curriculum vitae submission

Only an initial shortlist of around 30 students was done based on CV.
        Mention your academic credentials, math/statistics based work done (if any).

NA Minutes
        • Section 1: Subjective questions
        It consisted of two subjective questions based on probability theory and some common understanding of credit card division (like 'What is score card?'). Students were free to ask any specifics in the questions. One question was solely based on conditional probability and the second one was intuitive with general probability fundamentals.Quantify your results, don't leave them halfway through. State your assumptions clearly.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Why American Express
        10 students were shortlisted. The interview started with a general overview of the CV and common questions like 'Why American Express?". Then they discussed about my project and internship, why I opted FRM and why I did not apply for higher studies. It concluded with a case study question on credit card division and a puzzle.
        Practice puzzles and case study questions. One must have good communication skills.Have a good understanding of your projects, especially if it is based on statistics/quant/pattern recognition.The people who come for interview know their stuff very well.

• Probability

• CAT books,
        • Heard on the Street,
        • FRM level 1,
        At one point of time, the interviewer himself was trying to convince me that Iam better suited for the profile offered by Nomura because of my interest in finance. Luckily,I had done some good background study of the company and stated a few facts about thefirm which made them realize that my FRM is also a very good asset for their credit carddivision as it involved credit risk management. It was a very peaceful/friendly interview. Beconfident with your resume and use the hints they give you during the case interview.

TATA Steel management trainee interview

Pravas Janmejay ParidaFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at TATA Steel
        Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative aptitude,technical questions, english etc.
        Questions were a bit tough. However did the questions I was sure of.
        See some cat and gate preparation books.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
        • Question 2: Some HR questions.
        Be confident while answering.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Fluids and hydraulic machines
        • Question 2: Design of machines
        • Question 3: Strength of materials
        • Question 4: IC engines....
        Could not answer all the questions, however answered the ones I knew perfectly well and tried to explain others.
        If you know the answer say it. don't guess or try to manipulate, your entire interview may revolve around a single question only and at the end you'll be really frustrated.

• Communication skills
        • Sound technical skills
        • Analytical
        • Behavioral skills

• GATE study material,
        • SOme aptitude books,

HUL management trainee interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at HUL
        Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

The company expects all aspirants to fill out a form provided by them. This contains questions that ask aspirants to mention the Tech­ oriented Projects done and scholarships/ awards won. HR questions include questions like Events that influenced the candidate the most.
        ​Put co­curricular achievements that showcase leadership. Highlight all Tech related activities. Be completely confident about the projects that are on the resume. Highlight internship details that are related to the activities of HUL. An FMCG internship adds brownie points.

Meeting customer demands, decision of whether to outsource processes
        1­2 days before interview the GD is conducted. The attendees of GD will include BTechs, Mtechs, PhDs of Chemical and Mechanical engineering. Candidates are expected to go in formals. Topics of GD include situation based topics like factory’s case study.

Interview Questions
          First stage: Usually lasts 30 minutes. This interview is majorly Technical. The candidate is asked to specify a topic of interest on which further questions will be asked. Extensive and intrusive questions about the internship done will also be asked.
          Do not choose topics that you are not entirely thorough with. Also,even if the interviewer asks about the previous company's personal details, beyond a stage, do not divulge. They wouldn’t want you doing the same with their company.

Interview Questions
            Lasts for around 45 mins to 1 hours. It is usually telephonic. Standard HR questions will be asked.The company expects the students to have great capability of handling human relationships as they will be working with factory workers on a day to day basis.
            ​prepare for a focussed set of companies. Aiming efforts at multiple companies will prove hazardous. Have a clear priority sorted out.

• analytical skills

• 64 HR questions,
            Do not panic. Good companies come after day 5 also.Keep your calm and focus your efforts and thoughts.

HUL management trainee interview

Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at HUL
            Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Initial shortlisting was done on the basis of resume.

There was a group discussion based on the general pattern.

Interview Questions
              My subjects, knowledge, skills were tested very less compared to the others. It all depends on the direction you wanted to drive your interview in. I focused on my projects and junkyard wars to show my technical skills and
              immediately steered into the profile they were offering which is managerial profile which included sales, marketing and operation together. Having prepared for other FMCG companies earlier, I spoke about operation with ease and this was my selling point. I brushed up on marketing and spoke about sustainability and green technology campaigns the company was working on.

Interview Questions
                There was no specific HR round. Few questions about the place I live, languages , etc.
                They were looking for people with an all-round personality. They let me drive the interview in the direction I wanted. It was more of a conversation than a question-answer session for me

I prepared mainly by aiming at FMCG companies. Industrial engineering brush up. Projects/Interns/HR questions are very important. You never know when a core ques turns up, so brushed up courses.<br /> <br /> I think I got selected because I spoke at length on how I was perfectly suited for the profile they were offering. I showed examples for each of operations, sales and marketing. Enthusiasm about the company, knowing more about the company and its activities helped me. I put fight for FMCG's and core companies mostly. I was thorough with Industrial Engineering minor. I knew in and out about what was written in the resume. Brushing up core courses is a must.
                  I started in August. I was preparing for CAT in parallel too. Start core prep early because there is very little time towards the end. Do not prepare for every company that exists. Prioritize the companies depending on your interests. Prepare well for these companies.

Piramal Enterprises management trainee interview

AakankshaFresherSelected
                  Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at KJ Somaiya for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Piramal Enterprises
                  Stress Interview

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
                  • Question 1: Describe Porter's model
                  • Question 2: Prove the divisibility rule of 3
                  • Question 3: how do you calculate the ROI to gauge the success of your training program
                  • Question 4: Are you popular in your college? If yes, how will will you prove you popularity?
                  • Question 5: Apply Porter's model in comparing your B-School wrt to other B-Schools
                  • Question 6: Who is your best friend? If I send you outside this room and call her inside, what are the three qualities she will tell about you to me?
                  • Question 7: I found you very adamant. How will you work in a plant?
                  • Question 8: Convince me for two whole minutes on why should I hire you?
                  • Question 9: I request you to go out. Your interview is done and I am not happy with you.
                  My stress interview was the last one in the series of 2 interviews I had earlier at Piramal Enterprises Limited. I had applied for the post of HR Trainee. As you can see my Stress interview had questions ranging from every domain and acquired knowledge of any subject till date. The interviewer made me sit in one corner and he was sitting the diagonally opposite corner to me. Throughout the interview he appeared least interested and kept on showing his displeasure on anything I answered. He tried to corner me by emphasizing that I am nervous or at times he called me adamant. I maintained my calm through the entire stretch of 45 minutes interview. In the end, during the time of results he appreciated me for staying calm and maintaining the eye contact with him through out. He was happy with my confidence.
                  Be positive.
                  Do your company research thoroughly.

TATA Steel management trainee interview

TUSHAR KUMAR CHANDRAFresherSelected
                    Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Numerical Analysis, English, Technical Section, Electronics etc
                    Questions were a bit tough. However as there was no negative marking, one could try his luck. In technical section more focus was given on conceptual part. In electronics section much focus was given on biasing. Various sections were there and one cannot traverse back. So questions must be handled carefully.
                    For technical section, concepts must be very much clear. And for numerical ability part and book of gate/cat can be of great help. For electronics part ac/dc biasing must be studied carefully.

Effect of electrical engineering on environment.
                    Discussion should include real life examples. Also focus should be given on in-depth analysis with substances.
                    Should have eye contact with everyone. Voice level should be normal. Rest one can refer any standard norms of a GD.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
                    One should not be nervous while telling these answers

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Questions were from machines (both ac and dc machines)
                    Clear basic doubts about machines.

• Analytical skills
                    • Communicative skills

• PS Bhimbhra,
                    • GATE books,
                    Have confidence while saying anything. This is what counts at the end of the day 'answer' with proper way to convince someone.