Management Trainee

Management Trainee Interview Questions and Tips

Surya Roshni management trainee interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Management Trainee role at Surya Roshni
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview Behavorial Interview

Short-listing was based on an application form that the applying candidates had to fill. The short-listing criteria were CPI, co-curricular activities and projects.
Apart from the regular information present in CV, the form included questions like:
1. Any one major leadership role performed in past? If yes, then give a brief about it.
2. What are your Strengths and Weaknesses?  Why do you want to join Surya?
3. What are your expectations from Surya?
4. Company will provide you the exclusive training and give you a rising growth in terms (Designation, Responsibility and Compensation). But IITians are known for their volatile attachment with the organizations. We would like to know your reaction for bond structure.
Around 20 students were shortlisted, out of which 10 were from MME.

Do Indian culture and values need to fear away from Globalization?
2 groups of 10-11 people each. 10-11 students qualified for the interview.
1. Initially, 2 minutes were given to think and write down the points in your mind. Each person was asked to speak for one minute. Then discussion started.
2, Define globalization, and Indian values in the beginning.
3. Work on your communication skills before the placement season.
4. Attend discussion sessions organized by SPO.
5. Regularly read the newspapers and be abreast of the current affairs.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is your view about IITK academic system?
  • Question 2: Tell me about yourself ?
  • Question 3: What all have you done in your four years here, both academics and other activities?
  • Question 4: If you have a good CPI, why didn’t you opt for higher studies?
  • Question 5: Why this company?
  • Question 6: Summarize what was discussed in GD. Give your opinion on the entire discussion.
  • Question 7: General questions on national and international issues like formation of Telangana, Obama getting Nobel Prize
Since the GD was based on Indian culture vs. Globalization, questions were asked on the candidate’s opinion on Indian culture: like do you think Yoga is good? If yes, do you practice it? Why not?

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What are the recent developments in the field of metallurgy?
  • Question 2: Resume-based questions
  • Question 3: Internship-based questions
  • Question 4: List all possible ways of strengthening a material.
  • Question 5: What are the different types of dislocations?
  • Question 6: Questions on BTP (Why this topic? Etc.)

Behavorial Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Situation-based questions
‘Suppose you are working in a team of 4, out of which 1 person does not work at all. At the end of the task, everybody gets equal reward. What will be your reaction to this?’
He answered that he won’t object to it unless the output/reward is good. If the performance goes down, he would like to object.

• MME350,
    • MME370,
    • MME470,
    • TA201,
    • MME310,
    • MME410,
    • IME department courses,
    1. Read the newspaper before the placement season – you should know at least 2-3 weeks old news up to the current one.

2. Know about your projects well.

3. Try having a CPI of at least 7.

4. Have good communication skills, and revise your subjects well.

ICICI Bank management trainee interview

Saikiran NuliFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Management Trainee role at ICICI Bank
    Test Group Discussion HR Interview

• Section 1: Psychometric test
    It consisted of 100 questions. You can sit in your room, kick back, relax and take the test.
    A psychometric test through its nature contains a lot of conflicting and contradicting questionnaire. Try to be consistent and keeping humour aside, think logically. This must get you through

Future of work in 2020
    It was case study based GD. We were given a piece of paper containing information about how leveraging technology is changing the nature of work right now and then we were asked to discuss about the future of work in 2020. There were approximately 12 members in my GD and the discussion was going a lot off topic. The company person also instructed us not to deviate from the topic. At last he directly asked people who haven't spoken at all to give their views about the topic and also to conclude it.
    GD's are rather an elimination process so as to consider less number of people for further interviews. Please do keep practising among your colleagues and friends intensively before the placement season starts. A good opening line, structuring and guiding the GD and finally coming to a conclusion are vital parts to easily crack it. If you fail to do the above parts then try to come up with arguments based out of some examples to turn the GD's direction. Articulation. paraphrasing are also very important. So, take your time to phrase your views rather than concentrating on just speaking. If you just speak a lot without putting forward worthy points, you will not make it in.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why icici
    • Question 2: Why engineering and not economics
    • Question 3: Interested in which of the 3 profiles they've offered
    • Question 4: Why that particular profile?
    • Question 5: Knowledge about present data analytics namely Big data and Hadoop
    • Question 6: Do you have any location preference?
    It was quite a pleasant interview. They did not look through my resume much. It was all about how I was answering their questions. They wanted to know why I am opting for a career in bank when I have taken up Engineering as my Bachelor's degree. They had 3 profiles namely analytics, technology, digital channels and mobile banking.
    Go through their ppt and profiles well.
    HR preparation with orientation towards banking would be good
    Basic economics knowledge will be helpful
    Knowledge about data analytics will also be helpful

• Confidence
    • Big Data Analytics
    • 1)communication

• '64 HR Questions,
    • Case In Point,
    • Principles Of Economics POE,

American Express management trainee interview

Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Management Trainee role at American Express
    Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview

Resume fitting for a data analysis profile are shortlisted. So writing R, Python and programming skills in the cv should help you getting shortlisted.
    Almost 200 students were shortlisted for the test
    Make sure you mention your courses or projects related to data analysis in the resume

• Section 1: Single Section
    The test was on mettl.com
    It was a very easy test which judges your quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning (find the next shape, find the missing number). Questions like "find the least no to be multiplied by 100! such that is its divisible by 3^50?" , "find the probability of dice rolled three times to sum up as 10?".
    Preparing for CAT would do. It is a very easy test. You need you ensure that all ur questions are correct as there was a lot of time.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself, Why join Amex being from Mechanical background? , Solve a puzzle for me
    I expected a very technical round with all sorts of questions on statistics and data analysis. But it was soft spoken interview. They literally want to know why you want to join data analysis and Why Amex? And how passionate are you towards work?
    Interview is taken by very experienced people from the company and is more of a discussion about ur cv and projects related to data analysis. They listen to whatever code or piece of programming you have done and how well you know.
    I talked about the courses I took to learn data analysis on coursera, my MTP project on optimization and its algorithms and why i wanted to join Amex.
    My interview ended with a puzzle which was "There is weight balance and i want to measure from 1 kg to 100 kg. So what is the minimum no of stones and their weights required to measure any material with weght between 1kg to 100 kg.". I solved the problem and then he asked me why do you think this is the most optimum way. I answered it a bit and then he made my problem difficult by adding a information that "we can put weights on both sides". I was not able to solve it but defined the strategy should be used to find solution. My interview ended with my interviewer helping me solve the problem and explaining me the answers clearly. He said he will talk to HR but no HR round happened and I got selected. I would suggest to check with others about the kind of HR questions they ask.
    Be confident, talk about what you know. I started my data analysis in the last semester but was really amazed with the things I studied. So, most important thing is to find out if you like the domain or not. If the domain fits you, its the matter of showing interviewers the enthusiasm towards the subject genuinely.
    Knowing data analysis obviously helps but company expects you learn and grow rather learn in the company from most experienced people itself :).
    All the Best

• Logical Reasoning
    • Quantitative Aptitude

• How To Ace The Brain Teaser,
    • Statistical inference,
    • R programming,
    Placement is the matter of the interviewer understanding your motivation to work with the firm. So show them what you got for them.
    Well, I heard its the best company to work in. The very statement motivated me to work with such a firm.
    After my interview, they asked me to have some cashew nuts which they were eating as it was late and they were hungry. So, I took one and also said that "the whole day was so hectic and I was so hungry :P ". So they asked me to take the whole packet with me and I took.

I came outside with a packet of cashew nuts in my hand with motion of chewing and everyone was like "WTF seriously, did u just come from an interview :P

Bhushan Steel management trainee interview

Gaurav SharmaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jalandhar for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Bhushan Steel
    Test Other Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: TECHNICAL
    Most questions were from Indiabix.com And as i prepared technical questions from the same site so it was a bit easy for me to crack the test.The level of the test was good.but if one is having interest in technical subjects.HE/She will definitely crack it.
    Just prepare Production engineering,and Thermodynamics.Most questions were from these two fields.But it was a totally mixed test so questions were from all the areas. Prepare the related sections from Indiabix.com.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
    • Question 2: What was your internship Project?
    • Question 3: Why u want to join a production company?
    • Question 4: What your father do?
    • Question 5: How many points you give to your father on the scale of 10 on corruption?
    • Question 6: Generally children of policeman are not interested in studies,how u passed the exam?
    • Question 7: What are different quality control tools,write them on a sheet of paper.
    • Question 8: What you know about six sigma?
    It was not that tough,So be confident.Interview was mixed Technical + HR. Tell them about your areas of interest and they will ask u questions from these subjects.
    Just work on your areas of interest specially production engineering.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Are you comfortable in working in odisha?
    • Question 2: What was your 3rd year project?(again)
    • Question 3: The job is little rough,are u comfortable in it?
    It went for just 5 minutes.and questions was too general. Just say them,U r comfortable with everything what they want :)
    NO as such tips for this round,just say them,u can work in any type of environment.

• confidence
    • desire to work
    Technical In written test and your areas of interest during interview,Mainly they were checking ur confidence and ur desire to work in a production company.Just keep preparing your technical subjects.

Videos
    • nptel videos on manufacturing processes.,
    Just be chill and confident.Preparation is the only key to success.
    I have interest in technical subjects and wanted a core job so that my experience will help me applying for M.S. after sometime.
    Yeah,Actually my father is in U.P. Police so during my interview,there was a good discussion on U.P. Police,The corruption involved in it and how much i think my father is involved in it :) I was waiting for more technical questions,but they asked less such questions.

Dr. Reddy's management trainee interview

Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Management Trainee role at Dr. Reddy's
    Test Group Discussion Interview Interview

• Section 1: Technical
    • Section 2: Quantitative aptitude
    • Section 3: Verbal aptitude
    Thermo D, Turbomachinery, R & AC cycles, Design of Machine elements and Manufacturing were given importance in the test. Majority of questions were simple conceptual questions like what are the processes in a Rankine cycles,Stiffness of springs in series and parallel, etc

We were asked to assume roles of different managers HR, Supply Chain, Production etc in a pharma company and discuss a problem they are facing. The usual ones, initiating the discussion, giving people a chance to speak, supporting others,paying attention to what others are saying, positively commenting on others points, steer the discussion towards the topic at hand if and when it gets diverted. Though we were given particular roles, some of us contributed to others' as well. Like " If I may have the permission of the Supply Chain Manager, I know a transport company that does the delivery of our goods at cheaper prices, it would be really helpful for the company if you would kindly contact them."
    Be aware of the time but do not keep looking at your watch. Take a pen and book, not some stuff.

Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What happens to centrifugal pump's Head developed when liquids of different specific gravity are used ? Doesn't change.
    • Question 2: Why do we use saturated vapour in Practical applications and not super heated steam ? Something to do with pumping power and density relationship.
    • Question 3: Working of heat engine, heat pump, etc.

Interview

Interview Questions
      I was asked to tell everything about myself. What my father does, where I am from, where I studied, my academic interests, achievements, projects. When I said that I had done some group projects, some specific questions were asked like
      1. How do you select your team ( group ) ?
      2. What will you do if your team's work isn't up to the mark ?
      3. What will you do if a member of your team always skips work ?

As you might have noticed already, my language is not so great but I spoke loudly, clearly and confidently. I have shown them my grade card and they were clearly impressed from the 6.7 to 8.5 improvement of my GPA. The thing I said about my liking to do hands on work, the way I answered Tech and HR questions made me a better choice of the three Mech guys shortlisted, though I was the one with least CG of the three. I also quoted some of the points I liked about the company and matched my interests to the company's. I also quoted some points from their PPT showing them that I was really interested in pursuing a career with them.
      It is always a good idea to go through the company's website and get an understanding of the company's values and ideals. Be thorough about yourself, they may ask questions from any part of your life. I referred to the HR questions in IndiaBIX. Placement prep material uploaded by Sumit was also very helpful.

• GATE 2013 book,
        • Placement prep material uploaded by Sumit,
        Thermodynamics, IC Engines, R & AC, Turbomachinery, DME, Strength of materials, Engineering Materials, Manufacturing were important for core tests. Targeted preparation does not always help meaning a company can ask questions from any or all of the three major streams. So basics of concepts are important and must be revised from time to time.

Bharat Oman Refineries management trainee interview

Nishant SharmaFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for Management Trainee role at Bharat Oman Refineries
        Test Technical Interview

60 minutes Minutes
        aptitude questions
        • Section 1: verbal
        • Section 2: DI+LR
        • Section 3: Quant
        It was fairly easy, if you are a CAT aspirant then its a cake walk for you. But it was simple for many students without CAT background.
        Practice some questions from R.S. Agrawal or other aptitude books.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: practical implementations of OS?
        • Question 2: real time networking, i.e. ip networking
        • Question 3: some questions on digital communication and band width distribution
        • Question 4: deep discussion on projects done and especially minor project
        it was quite an intensive round as the questions were asked at a brisk phase, also it also had some questions of HR too, like why should we hire you, how your are better than your competitors, etc. The interview panel was very experienced and one should also be aware of the work they are going to do there. Overall be honest what you answer.
        If you have good command over the subjects in Computer Science and have done some good projects then your chances are good. Good communication skills are required, so practice on your technical skills.

• Confidence
        • Extra-curricular Activities
        • Willingness
        • Innovating
        • Digital Networking
        • Computer Networking
        • Digital Communications
        • Operating Systems
        • Object-Oriented Programming (OOP)
        • 1)communication
        Just be yourself and try to have sound technical skills.

Videos
        • Nptel.ac.in,
        • C++ Language Courses,
        • OOPS Online Courses,
        Strong technical skills.
        I needed a peaceful life.
        We had some jokes exchanged on the technological advancements.

HUL management trainee interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at HUL
        Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion HR Interview Other Interview Resume Shortlist

This is the most important part of the placement procedure. All your shortlists are based on how well you can portray what you’ve done in insti and before. Start writing your resume as soon as possible, the first deadline is typically somewhere in October and a resume generally needs 8-10 revisions.
        1. Start every line with an action verb.
        2. Keep the no. of words to a minimum.
        3. Remove all the unnecessary words you can. Nobody likes reading stories.
        4. Each point should show impact. More than what you’ve done, you should tell them how differently you’ve done it and how it made a difference to the organization and team you worked for. (Common misconception is that impact is only in terms of numbers, this is not the case). I agree this can get very difficult but this is what differentiates and ordinary resume from an extra-ordinary one. So think!
        5. Finally, keep the technical part as simple and coherent as possible. Remember an HR is going to be reading your resume.
        6. Exaggeration is fine. Say you increased the number of events from 3 to 6. It is okay to write that you brought about a 100% increase in the number of events. But at the same time NEVER write anything in your resume which you cannot explain or substantiate with examples. This gives a very bad impression to the company.

This is a normal round with a given topic.

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
          • Question 2: Your long term and short term goals?
          • Question 3: Based on leadership instance?
          This is a must round in every company.
          An excellent way of preparing this is writing everything down as experiences. Begin from your school days and think about any activity you’ve been part of or anything you’ve mentioned in your resume. Write down three points about what you did as part of the team or project and three points about what you learnt from it. This really helps. Especially the writing down part, since you can’t remember everything you thought about. This becomes a ready reference just a day or two before your interviews. Do not make the mistake of not preparing enough for HR.
          This is as important as any other preparation you have to do for placements. And WRITE stuff down!"

Interview Questions
            This was a phone interview. Two people on a conference with me. One guy was asking me only core questions randomly from all subjects ranging from IC engines to fluid mechanics. The other guy was asking me about my previous internship and about how my work affected the factory. They also asked me to give examples from personal life, where I exhibited leadership skills etc. This interview went on for about 45 minutes.

• GRE wordlist,
              • TIME material.,

Coal India Limited management trainee interview

Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Coal India Limited
              Group Discussion Other Interview

'Engineer as politician' and 'Energy audit and engineers role in it'
              GD- Mainly they divided trical candidates in two groups. 1st containing sc and st candidates, 2nd had general and OBC and around 35 people in 2 groups. 14-14 candidates each turned up for GD. They gave engineering related topics- for first group engineer as politician and for 2nd energy audit and engineers role in it were the topics. every candidate is given 2 chances to speak. 1st everybody is asked to pitch their own ideas and thoughts. again the invigilator will ask you to add any relevant points if you want. Finally they will ask one of you to summarize wholediscussion.
              Just speak relevant things, don't try to sell fake facts, they will catch you. and whilesummarizing don't add new points,stick to whatever the group has already discussed, theywere adamant about it. one of our group mate got scolded in spite of speaking very goodbecause he brought incorrect fact and while summarizing tried to add new point.

Interview Questions
                For me it was kind of stress interview. One of the panel member asked me the question even before asking me to sit. After greeting them I tried to answer the first question, but he was ready with second question. both the questions were regarding transformer protection. I explained buchholz relay for transformer protection with diagram, they asked about other ways of transformer protection, I could only explain one more method of over current protection.They said explain two more, but I couldn't. Afterwards, they asked me about types of circuit breakers and working I answered them 50-50. advantage of HVAC transmission I told. After that they asked me random questions like material used in transmission, material density, comparison between different material for transmission based on resistivity, cost and density(I was not able to answer most of them, and I was stressed out), suddenly everybodystarted asking questions (4-panel members), I took my time, and most of the time after taking considerable time for answering difficult question I  would tell I don't know. When questions got exhausted they asked me which subject is my favorite, and whether I have any knowledge of management,  I told mathematics is my favorite and for management I had taken 3 optional EE, MTP, MM. they asked about basic definition of management, bernoulliequation for liquid,and Archimedes principle of floating body (I don't know why).
                Keep calm and take your time, even if the ask too many questions at a time, and say no if you really don't know the answer. Finally HR asked me to briefly explain all the projects I have done(15 minutes)

• V.K Mehta - specifically protection,
                  • circuit breakers and power transmission part.,
                  • Ashfaq Hussain - machines,
                  Nothing specific, don't give up even if you don't know A single answer. I couldn't answer more than half the questions. Try to use pen and pencil to illustrate the things which you can't explain with words and please never sell fake facts in core job interview, if you don't know, say so.

Coal India Limited management trainee interview

Pranay GourFresherSelected
                  Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bhubaneshwar for Management Trainee role at Coal India Limited
                  Group Discussion Technical Interview

20 mins Minutes
                  Role of Civil Engineers in infrastructure development of Indian cities. (present and future aspects )
                  First round of selection process was GD. Total 35 B.Tech candidates appeared from all the branches (Civil + Mech. + Elec.) and 12 students from MSc Geotech. appeared for the post of Management Trainee. The GD was done branch wise, for ex. 12 candidates from civil engg. (including me) made one group of GD and likewise total four groups gave GD. As you can notice that the topic of GD is quite simple and civil grads. can easily speak upon it.
                  Speak relevant points only. It does not matter how much you spoke, but the points you raised. Try to cover all the aspects regarding topic i.e., Technical, Economical and Social. Speak clearly and politely in an audible tone.

Interview Questions
                    Interview was mainly technical. There were expert technical recruiters who were testing the basic knowledge of students about their respective branches. If you are a civil grad. , revise all the courses you have gone through since your 2nd year. Atleast make your fundamentals clear. They asked me questions about Strength of materials and Structural Analysis for ex. how to analysis of beams subjected to some loading conditions (you have to explain the process, no need to do exact calculations ) , shear force and bending moment diagrams, reinforcement detailing of beams and slabs. Then they asked me what are my topics of interest. This is a critical question, tell only those topics in which you can answer maximum questions. My topic of interest was Concrete technology, so they asked me about Tests for fresh state concrete and hardened state concrete, some basic questions about construction practices, gradation of aggregates, what is design mix and explain its procedure, initial and final setting time of concrete etc. etc. The point is be thorough with your basics. Answer precisely, do not give vague answer, say no if you really don't know the answer.

• Revised Important Subjects Of B Tech,

Bharat Petroleum management trainee interview

Pulkit AgarwalFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Bharat Petroleum
                    Case Study Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Your team is on the verge of collapsing. A deal can get you out of this status. There are 2 suppliers A and B who are supplying you same products which are same in all aspects whether it be quality or price etc. but supplier A is giving you a extra advantage. He can help your child to get admission in a reputed college for which you have been struggling since long. So which supplier you will choose.
                    It was a Case Study based Group Discussion.
                    Speak and try to justify your answer.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell us about your project( college project).
                    • Question 2: Tell us about your industrial training.
                    • Question 3: In case of plant shutdown what will you do?
                    • Question 4: If you have decided to go for a movie and suddenly an emergency arises in plant then what will you do?
                    • Question 5: Why do you want to join us?
                    They asked technical questions about my project and there was a little cross-questioning.
                    Be specific in your answer and do not speak of those points which you think can drag you in trouble.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell us about yourself and your family.
                    • Question 2: Tell us about your daily routine.
                    • Question 3: Tell us your area of improvement.
                    • Question 4: What is the reason for your consistency? (* As I was having good GPA in all semesters.)
                    • Question 5: Why are you not going for higher studies?
                    • Question 6: What will you choose TATA Motors or BPCL? (*As I had already been placed in TATA Motors)
                    • Question 7: BPCL can give you job anywhere across India, are you ok with it?
                    • Question 8: We can subject you to successive shifts (night-day), are you ok with it?
                    • Question 9: Why do you want to join BPCL?
                    My HR Interview was very friendly. They as well as I were enjoying the time.
                    Besides you they want to know about your way of thinking in HR questions.
                    Do not give superlative answers. Be genuine and be neutral. Learn in advance about the company and its profile.

Give time to groom your physical appearance.Just keep a small smile on your face at the time of interview so as to show that you are enjoying and very much interested in getting the job.
                      The package and facilities offered by BPCL to its employees.
                      There were many funny moments. I enjoyed my interview very much and I think they also did.