Management Trainee

Management Trainee Interview Questions and Tips

SAIL management trainee interview

Somashish SahaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Durgapur for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at SAIL
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: WRITTEN TEST
The written round consisted of 200 questions in 2 hours
1> Technical section (100 questions)
2> Numerical aptitude (25 questions)
3> Logical Reasoning (25 questions)
4> General Awareness (25 questions)
5> English (25 questions)

The level of difficulty of the technical section was quite easy. Most of the questions were for checking the overall concepts and none of them included lengthy calculations. Though time is a factor as you have to solve 100 questions in about 1 hour.
One interesting fact about the exam was that both unanswered questions and wrongly answered questions would cost you negative 1/4th marks and thus it is better to attempt all questions. Some of the questions were from ‘uncommon’ sections like Polymer processing, materials of construction etc.

The mathematical aptitude and logical reasoning questions were very easy and practicing R.S Agarwall level questions would be sufficient. Unlike other PSU exams like ONGC, EIL etc., the general awareness section of SAIL’s exam consisted mostly of contemporary ‘hot topics’ and current affairs rather than generic topics like history, geography.
For the Technical section I would recommend solving :
1> Chemical engineering objective questions by Ram Prasad
2> Indiabix.com
3> 1 marks questions from previous year GATE papers.

I would recommend the following books for the general awareness sections
1> Lucent’s General Knowledge
2> Monthly current affairs magazines like Pratiyogita Darpan, Competition success etc.

Around 40 people were selected for the GD-PI round for a total of 11 general seats in chemical engineering. Among all the PSU’s, the GD round of SAIL was the most interesting and unique. The GD round itself consisted of 3 separate rounds which continued for about 2 hours.
There were about 10 people in each group and about 5 judges.

A general topic was given to the group for discussion. The discussion continued for 20 minutes and the group was not directed to present a final conclusion.
The judges scored each participant on the basis of how they were able to communicate and present their point of view

10 qualities like honesty, integrity, knowledge etc. were listed and the group was given a task to order the qualities on the basis of which is most requisite of a politician. Initially each individual had to give his order and submit it to the judges and then the topic would be up for discussion for a period of about 20 minutes. At the end of the discussion, the group was asked to present a final conclusive order.
The judges scored each individual on the basis of
1> How well he was able to communicate his point of view
2> Whether the final order varied from the order that he had submitted initially. That is whether he was able to justify his point of view and persuade others or else he was himself swayed by others in the discussion.

The group was presented with a case study. The scenario was that the CEO of a bank was going to retire and his replacement was to be selected out of 5 probable candidates. The profile of the bank and its future path was given to us and also the profiles of the 5 candidates in a 5-6 pages long document. Each individual was given 20 minutes to read the document and present his choice. The topic was then open for discussion for about 20 minutes. At the end of the discussion, the group was asked to come to a final conclusion.
The judges graded each candidate on the basis of
1> How well was he able to communicate his point of view
2> Whether he had read the case study in detail and was clear about his choice.
3> Whether he was able to justify his choice to the other members of the group.
The judges graded each candidate on the basis of
1> How well was he able to communicate his point of view
2> Whether he had read the case study in detail and was clear about his choice.
3> Whether he was able to justify his choice to the other members of the group.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Question of Stoichiometry
  • Question 2: Define adiabatic saturation temperature
  • Question 3: Question on greenhouse effect
  • Question 4: Ordering different gases obtained from coal gasification on the basis of calorific value
  • Question 5: Question on summer internship project.
The technical interview was of very short duration of about 15 minutes and wasnt tough either. The interviewer might try to confuse you a bit.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Define your role as the general secretary of your college environmental club
  • Question 2: Describe one problem you faced as the General Secretary and how you were able to solve it.
The HR questions were mostly directed towards the extracurricular activities that I had done during college

TATA Steel management trainee interview

Yash ShahFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Dhanbad for Management Trainee role at TATA Steel
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

• Section 1: aptitude
  • Section 2: verbal ability
  • Section 3: logical
  • Section 4: technical
There were 4 sections related to quant, logical, verbal and technical. The technical part was above par especially if you are mining engineer as most of the question in technical section will be based on course of 6th & 7th semester while company visits after 5th semester.
The part of aptitude and logical is usually very simple and most of the people easily scores in these sections. As I said technical is tough. So, the main difference is due to marks you get in the verbal ability part.
Do LOD-1 of Arun Sharma and questions from Indiabix.com which will be sufficient for aptitude part. For technical, you can refer some basic notes of u/g coal, ventilation and mine legislation (for mining engineering)

Is democracy hampering growth of India?
The GD was little bit unusual as they allowed every one to put forward their points one by one and then counter the points of other if you want. It may depend on the HR guy visiting the campus.
For GD, just focus on the basics like don't be too dominant, open yourself to points put by other, do not right away take a single side in case of GD with debatable topic.

It was the 3rd & the last round the Personal Interview. They may have a look at the CV (as was case with me). Usually kept the questions strictly related to the technical and management aspects of mining especially focuses on your projects and papers. They also posed some genuine and general HR questions towards the end of the interview. The main focus in HR question is to find out that will you be adaptable to the remote location of the job.
Focus on your CV. Never put a false point in it. Be yourself and stay focused in whichever way you can. For me, I listen to music in any such situation and that's what I was doing half an hour before interview. Be dressed up properly as it gives you a lot of confidence boost. Prepare for some basic HR question. Make sure that you put the point where you want interviewer to focus on in the introduction in the best way possible so that interview can take a better and your preferred pathway.

Start focusing towards building skills from the 5th sem. Getting an intern at any company will help you improve your technical skills. Prepare for aptitude skills as a leisure activity. Form a serious group who are ready to do a GD daily. Get as much technical knowledge as you can and keep your concepts clear. Also maintain a decent GPA as the company usually prefers people with higher grades.

• Coal Mines Regulation 1957,
  • Mine Ventilation by G B Mishra,
  • Mine Surveying by B C Punmia,
  • Coal Mining Practice by R D Singh,
  • Drilling and Blasting by Jimeno,
  • Verbal Ability And Reading Comprehension For Cat : Arun Sharma,
  • Data Interpretation And Logical Reasoning By Arun Sharm,
Be focused on your goals especially short-term. If you want to prepare for CAT then I would say you should say NO to internship. In case of MS, you can surely grab it. Be sure about this at the start of the 5th semester. Interact with your seniors and colleagues and based on your interest make a suitable decision for yourself.

In case you want the job in core sector then start improving the technical knowledge. Give importance to your B.Tech. project. Adapt yourself to the condition that you will get a remote location if you are a mining engineer
I was not that sure at that time between doing MBA or to remain in the core sector, so for me there was no motivation. I was just going with the flow and BAMM!! got intern. Then i started taking real interest in the technical aspects.

PLEASE DON'T BE LIKE ME!!!
During interview, I addressed my father working as Govt. Servant instead of employee. The HR wrote that point and asked me about it later after all the technical question. I was left embarrassed and giving lame excuse that it is the word we use in day-to-day language and the whole panel was laughing on me..:P

Thank GOD!! it didn't create too much negative impact

Tata Motors management trainee interview

Anjali MatheFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Tata Motors
Test Group Discussion Other Interview Stress Interview

2 HR Minutes
  • Section 1: ENGLISH
  • Section 2: LOGICAL
  • Section 3: APTITUID
  • Section 4: TECHNICAL (BOTH FROM EE AND MECH ,MAJOR PORTION WAS FROM EE,MINIMUM ONE QUESTION FROM EACH SUBJECT)
There was no negative marking in test(but our seniors got the paper with negative marking so nothing can be predicted for future) but there was time limit so u have to maintain ur speed,once u move forward for next question u can not go back to previous question so u have to be careful which question u have to skip.questions were not very easy nor they were tough,mathematics questions were from 11 12 class not from the B.Tech course.
for aptitude questions plz go through all types of patterns(work,wages,profit loss,capital interest,principal interest,average.speed,distance,time ), u can get them in MADE EASY aptitude book,for technical go through all the subjects(machines,power system,analog,digital,instrumentation,networks,control system)because there was atleast one question from each subject although they were easy ,if u r preparing for GATE u just need remember the basic ,the can be solved on finger tips

IS SMARTPHONE MAKING PEOPLE DUMB?
topic was very easy so everyone was ready with the points,boys were speaking with dominating voice,u have to be very careful to get a chance to speak
search common GD topics on net and write ur own points for them, go through the GD on net so u can get an idea how to start the topic or else join any of the coaching for GD,dont speak much but when u speak be confident and speak simple language don't use complicated words

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 5 min for HR
  • Question 2: 10 min for technical
they asked me to speak about myself for 5 min they were very cool,they were continuously looking in my CV and questioning about what I have written in it(about my sport,schooling,brother,my family,childhood)for technical they asked me about sensors and as an ee student which instrument I will be using for measuring fuel level in the automobiles,they were very much impressed by my written test (as they said to me,so try to do it well)  they were very much cool and smiling all the time,with their body language I was able to make it out that they will select me
if u r a girl from non mechanical branch then ur chances of getting selected is quite more as compared with the boys of non mechanical branch(provided u also give them answer for their question confidently with good body language   ) , for boys if u want to clear ur interview prepare thoroughly with ur technical subjects

Stress Interview

go through the campus placement papers on net

• Made Easy aptitude book,
  • Made Easy notes,
give the written test of consultancy companies so u can have an idea of aptitude questions,if u clear the test of those companies and get selected for GD give 100% in the GD,if u get selected for next round interview and u dont want to join the company say no to them in the interview,but plz if u dont want to join a company just dont leave it because u want to wait for ur dream company ,the above trick will help u to get experience and gain confidence but be careful
My brother is a pass from MANIT 2011 mechanical batch,he wanted to join tata motors but as he had a drop after his 12th class he was not allowed to sit for the written,when I said him about tata motors vist to MANIT in 2014 he just said "KUCH BHI KAR PAR TATA MOTOR ME JANA HI HAI TUZE HAAT SE NAHI JANI CHAHIYE YE COMPANY"
when i got selected for tata motors i called my brother and gave him the news he said CHAL MERA SAPNA TUZME DEKHLIYA MEINEi was in the hostel and i was called to the admin to collect my offer letter and sign a copy of that and them back i was so much excited that i took my offer letter and was busy at talking the HRs were looking at me and laughing then the TPO came and said ANJALI ab de bhi de sign karke unhe

Bharat Oman Refineries management trainee interview

Raushan KumarExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through MANIT BHOPAL college campus recruitment for Management Trainee role at Bharat Oman Refineries
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

2 hrs Minutes
100(60+40) questions
  • Section 1: general aptitude(60) + technical aptitude(40)
general aptitude level was moderate
technical paper consist of both numerical and theoretical portion mainly cover thermodynamics , fluid mechanics, turbo- machinery(pump selection and their performance), theory of machine (balancing & vibration) .Strength of material
my technical test paper consist of 26 numerical out of 40 . this distribution may be vary . test conducted by co-cubes
for general aptitude continuous in practice and gives test of indiawix (www.indiawix.com) regularly untill time & accuracy is maintain(out of 20, 18-19 is correct in 15-20 minute)
for technical test focus on GATE syllabus and study gate material of any institution (like made-easy booklet or any other)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: what is pump? classification of pump
  • Question 2: which pump are used for pumping soap solution?
  • Question 3: selection criteria of pump
  • Question 4: what is NPSH ? how they affect the performance of pump?
  • Question 5: types of impeller of centrifugal pump and their material which is used
  • Question 6: why reciprocating pump is called positive displacement pump?
  • Question 7: stress -strain diagram significance and define each point of stress-strain diagram
  • Question 8: what is principal stress and their significance?
  • Question 9: different theory of failure and which theory is applicable for ductile and brittle material
  • Question 10: what is buckling ? difference between column and struts
  • Question 11: slenderness ratio definition and classification of column on the basis of slenderness ratio
  • Question 12: definition of bending and assumption of bending theory ?
  • Question 13: difference between torsion and bending?
  • Question 14: definition of Enthalpy and entropy
  • Question 15: what is Molier diagram
  • Question 16: difference between nozzle and diffuser?
  • Question 17: what happens when water is filled in compressor and air is filled in pump?
  • Question 18: explain iron carbon equilibrium diagram ,different invariant reaction in different temperature zone
  • Question 19: curie temperature and define the temperature zone in which iron-carbon alloy behaves feromagnetic ,para-magnetic etc
  • Question 20: what is welding process? give the example of them which is used in most of industry
  • Question 21: which machining process is used for surface finishing operation and what is their avg height of roughness?
  • Question 22: what is turbine? difference between impulse and reaction turbine?
  • Question 23: what is compounding?
  • Question 24: draw rankine cycle on P-V and T-S diagram
  • Question 25: why inlet valve is larger in size w.r.t exhaust valve
  • Question 26: why Rockwell hardness is more preferred over Brinell hardness ? how Rockwell number is given(description of Rockwell test)
  • Question 27: gives example of pelton wheel, francis turbine and kaplan turbine in nearer to you also talk about their capacity
interview is fully technical based, try to cover almost each subject , project& training
My interview duration is only 20 minutes . I gives the answer of almost all question . technical HR was very much impressed .
study each general topic of field of interest, prepare your project and training in better manner and try to understand in own language and speak confidently during the interview .Before interview you may write down the answer on paper it reduce the grammatical mistake during speaking. Be calm, be positive, be confident with your own knowledge this is the key of success.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: what is your value in your friend?
  • Question 3: which things stress you?

• GATE Study Material,
be positive and confident with your knowledge

Winjit Technologies management trainee interview

Rajas SontakkeFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Institute of Management Nirma University (IMNU Ahmedabad) for Management Trainee role at Winjit Technologies
Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

Is Technology creating income disparities
There were 12 people in Group discussion.We.were.given a minute to think on the topic.I entered second in the discussion. Opposing the opinion of the first . I said no and gave an example of how I got an opportunity of job because of linkedin. Everybody wanted to speak and 5-6 people began speaking at the same time. I tried to request people to speak one at a time and also give the less spoken a chance.I enters the discussion once more for a very short.time. Everybody was given a chance to conclude. I the conclusion I explained Why I took such a.stand and.explained.once again with a benefit my friend received due to technology.
Enter as early as possible
Be brief
State facts, figures and examples

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell us about your journey in Nirma
  • Question 2: Questions realted to work experience ( Full time, Part time, free lancing, whatever was mentioned)
  • Question 3: Have you got any sales experience
  • Question 4: What can you sell of Winjit in any company of your choice
  • Question 5: How will you figure if there is any way Wjnjit can help a company ( The problem should be one which we have never faced earlier
  • Question 6: Do you drink
  • Question 7: Do you smoke
  • Question 8: Do you think having a Girlfriend is detrimental or productive
  • Question 9: Tell us.something about yourself and your family
1. I told the important events of which , I was a part of.
What all opportunities and challenges I got to face.

2. Tell them what I.did in each one.of these.

3. Tell them if you got any or you can describe any sponsorship experience. You can mention any task in which you convinced somebody.

4. I descrined how one of.their product would.be helpful to company.

5. I talked about observing, asking for problems to different people in an organization and then talking to our own team if we could developed a solution .
Gave examples as well.

6 and 7. I.told.them the reality

8. I expressed my view that in short term a person may loose focus but in long term a good relationship is very helpful.
Make note of all things you have done in college in a word file. And read them before the interview. Higlight yoiur elected roles and tasks you have carried out successfully.

I opened up personal things like having a Girlfriend because I felt comfortable in talking to the interviewers . This is the reason why they asked me the last three questions. It did not plan to open up personal things it just happened.because of the reason I just mentioned above.

I think it is important to be frank as well as.well prepared..
Also being good at talking to strangers helps in an interview for sales .

Make sure you have a word file of all that you have done in life and also answers to basic HR questions like tell something about yourself, Why MBA, why Sales, Why this company, etc

Read throughly.about the products and.services which the company offers. You must go through their website.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell us about yourself.
  • Question 2: Why do you want to join Winjit
Just highlighted where I was.born and brought up and what my education and work experience.
As well as what all I had done in my MBA ( Till date )
As mentioned above, keep the answers ready .

I also told them what I found interestimg in Winjits work and why I would like to join the company.

Read newspaper and magzines .<br /> Recommend Business Standard ( First 3 pages is what I always read) <br /> Business Outlook and Business World also helped me keep updated. <br />
Already given
Profile offered: International Sales

Salary offered: Cannot disclose

Growth of the company.

Wanted to work for a startup or growing company and not an established brand.
The personal questions are surprising and are the

Ola Cabs management trainee interview

Manish K GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Ola Cabs
Test Group Discussion HR Interview

60 minutes Minutes
A selection test was used to screen the applicants initially, with MCQ questions, focusing on quant abilities, analytical ability. A testplatform ‘Cocubes’ is used by almost all companies to conduct the tests. I had good quant ability, which helped me ace the tests.

I did not attend a single GD. But Tanuj, my friend, had attended quite a few, and he can be approached for GD fundaes ;)

There were two rounds of Interview.A total of 150 people wereselected for a first round of interview, out of which 40 students were shortlisted to form a ‘priority’ list. All 150 students were interviewed for asecond time; the students not in the priority list underwent a HR interview followed by a second main interview, while the candidates in the priority list were directly interviewed by the main panel. Only 6 candidates from the non-priority list made it to the final interview.Communication skills and puzzle solving ability were given importance in the interview. The shortlist was released late, and the coordinator in charge of handling Ola Cabs got busy with some other work, so when I went to Sabarmati hostel, I had to rush directly to the interview. Due to this, I could not maintain composure and performed poorly; I didn’t solve even one simple puzzle. But I explained my position to the interviewer, and the interviewer agreed to re-interview me; I performed well in the re-interview. The interview lasted for about an hour orso.The experience gained inspeaking to a lot of clients helped improve my communication skills, which wasvital in helping me get placed. My re-interview went really well; the guesstimate of the approximate expenditure incurred by Ola Cabs Ltd. was almost spot on, and this helped me in getting placed.
With regards to placement nervousness, NOT being nervous is a sign of overconfidence; everyone is nervous, but it'simportant to not be nervous beyond a limit.Building arapport with the interviewer was very important in getting placed early.Placement is a conversation and not a ‘ragging session’ for the interviewee toget tensed and nervous. In my interview with housing.com, I eventually ended up speaking to the interviewer in Hindi :) NEVER PUT FALSE DETAILS IN YOUR RESUME OR INTERVIEW. It is impossible to pull off a lie in an interview.

I started off very late,hence couldn’t do any online courses. But itwould be difficult, if not impossible, to learn vast subjects like coding oranalytics during the 7th/9thsemester, as the pressure of placement preparation, academics, tests etc would be too much to bear. Don’tuse final year to start learning coding/analytics.With regards to placement preparation, be open to many choices, as it will be difficult if one fixates on a particular type of job. There were some friends of mine who applied only for one type of jobs, e.g. analytics. If one does that,there is a good chance that one might cup in the interview, and thus end upwithout a job. Also, one can never be sure if they would like a certain type ofprofile; it might look interesting at first, but might become boring sometimein the future. So one must be open to all options.Istarted preparing for placements 2 monthsbefore placements i.e. during late September.With regards to whether starting early helps, it depends on other factors; there are people who prepare for just 15 days and thulp placements, while there are others who prepare for months but end up with not-so-exciting offers.

• Case In Point,
  • u201cQuantum Catu201d book by Arihant Publishers Ltd. It is THE guide book; ,
  • Wall Street Journal,
  • DC++,
Videos
  • Videos on how to answer and some tips tricks,
Maintain a high CGPA. There were many companies for which he didn’t get shortlisted, only because of my CGPA. I performed well in tests, had good quant ability,good communication skills, the other points in my resume, such as hisinternship performance was very good, and I had good PoRs. Everything in my resume was good except CGPA. Even if I had performed exceptionally well in thetests, and if the company decides to shortlist based on test performance and CGPA, I wouldn’t have got shortlisted, the sole culprit being his low CGPA. Maintaining a CGPA about 8 is critical to getting shortlisted for interviews. That doesn’t mean that peoplewith low CGPA won’t get placed; But for that to happen, a lot of otherfactors, such as good communication skills, quant ability, performance intests, puzzle solving ability etc are needed to overcome the minus points dueto low CGPA.Certifications like NCFM help for finance; having such a certification made no difference to Ola CabsLtd.’s selection procedure. I didn’t have any of these certifications.

HUL management trainee interview

ASHISH KUMAR BAJPAIFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at HUL
Group Discussion Interview

I was a bit nervous in ITC GD which resulted in my loud voice and dominating nature. The case was one of the typical cases of ITC which I missed during preparation; as a matter of fact they haven’t changed it since 3 or 4 years. It did not go that good but I was sure if 4 people would be selected from my group then I would be in. But by that time I was ready for HUL’s GD. It was a fresh new case which I forgot by the way (:P). The group was big (12 students) and I gave some good ideas (I think so). The key is “never give up on quality, safety and ethics”.
Well HUL is famous for taking only one or two guys, on top of that, rumor was that it would take only chemical guys, so I didn't had much hope with HUL, on the other hand, I was 100% sure to get through ITC (my profile and everything just matched with ITC and my friends also boosted me for the same). But I don’t know what was in my fate, at around 10:00 PM, the results of ITC’s GD came, and I was not shortlisted, all my hopes were shattered and everything turned into fume. They took only two students from my group and I was completely hopeless as I wasn't preparing for BCG, screwed up Diamond and ITC was gone. Only chance was in HUL (about which I was not sure) and Opera. I still remember that time, my wing mates helped me through that situation and boosted me a hell lot and soon I saw a ray of hope. 20 minutes later, HUL’s result came out and I was shortlisted for the interview. I decided to prepare as much as I could for HUL and revised all my stuffs all the night. I had 4 interviews next day but I didn't sleep even after going through 2 GD’s and 1 aptitude test. Finally the day came. I couldn't sleep last night.

Interview

My first one was scheduled with Opera. I was taking it very lightly. The guy was from USA. I did my intern in Canada, so we did a little bit chit chat about that and we had a very nice conversation. He seemed happy with my attitude. He gave me a business case on Casino and after his some help, I finally solved the case and came up with the answer he was seeking. The next interview was with BCG. The bad thing about BCG interviews is that they don’t let you go anywhere else till their process is finished. So instead of going there, I first gave Diamond’s interview and then HUL.Since you would have read a lot about Diamond and BCG interview, so let me come straight to HUL. The first interview was taken by a factory manager. First question was based on pump, he asked about types of pump, NPSH and other relevant things. Then couple of more questions related to thermodynamics. He asked about refrigeration cycle, LMTD, cooling tower, brayton cycle and some more questions. It lasted about 15-20 minutes. I did pretty well and asked about his experience at HUL. It went good and I was sure to get shortlisted for the next round.
After that I was called for second round which was a telephonic interview taken by General Manager of the company Yogesh and there was one more guy whose name I don’t remember. He again asked the questions on pumps, use of pump in our daily life, NPSH, its determination, laws of thermodynamics, perpetual machin, use of second law in our daily life, principle of airplanes, Bernoulli theorem, what happens when you open the door of refrigerator, a heat transfer calculation (I don’t remember exactly) and some more questions in thermodynamics. Finally he asked some questions from my form. He was not satisfied with the answer I gave in one of the questions and he asked me to cite another example. He asked about my strategy on successful conduction of one of my events (Gearloose) and what made it best. Finally there were some formal questions like if I was ready to be posted anywhere and all.
I think I answered all the questions very confidently and to the point and elaborated where required. I was very much confident about pumps and cited as many examples as I could. I think this was the best part of my interview. Initially I was a bit nervous but then I contemplated and decided to take proper time to answer each question. I think I satisfied him with every question he asked and that’s why I got selected in the company of which I used to dream since my 3rd year.

Last but not the least, I would like to say that you should know yourself and your shortcomings thoroughly and then do your best to overcome them. This is the single most time when you should devote yourself completely in the preparation (just like JEE time) if you want to get selected in your dream company. As in my case, though I did have good academic background and positions of responsibilities but I used to stammer and was not fluent in English. So I had to work a lot in these two areas in order to do decent in the interviews. I practiced in front of mirror and gave as many mock interviews as I could and that finally gave me result. Remember, nothing is impossible if you want to achieve that. You have to just work very very hard for that.

L&T management trainee interview

BHAVESH SHRIMALIFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Guwahati for Management Trainee role at L&T
Test Interview Interview

120 minutes Minutes
  • Section 1: General Aptitude
  • Section 2: Reading Section-Comprehension passages
Fairly easy, those preparing for CAT would ace the first section pretty easily. For the second section, you'd require an ample experience of reading standard comprehension passages. Online reading resources such as the Op-Eds on TIME, The Hindu, NYT would help big time.
Be composed and conscious of the time. This test is all about pacing ahead of time and hence a hands on practice on all the relevant sections would really help. There are a good amount of resources for both the sections on the web. So be calm and prepare good.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: High Strength Concrete with special reference to Fibre Reinforced Concrete- Small Technicalities such as the strength, ductility etc.
It was based on what I had mentioned on the pre-interview proforma, which, they usually ask every candidate to fill. A couple of bullets from my resume provided them enough material to frame their questions. Since L&T ECC heavily deals in concreting operations throughout its projects, having studied FRC greatly helped my case. The experience during my internship also helped me to elaborate my experience. They asked some basic questions pertinent to the grade of the concrete, cement employed and the ductility achieved and some general questions such as what are its advantages over normal concrete and how would it help me in contributing positively to their company.
Nothing much! Just prepare your resume bullet points in and out. Do not add anything new on the proforma. You never know that it might just go against what you say in the interview. People usually flounder in interview because they try to condense a lot of information in a short span of time. Instead just try to be concise and explicit in you writing so that you can elaborate your experience exactly the way you may want to elaborate in the interview. Strictly adhere to the lines mentioned in the proforma.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Basic Details and how'd I be an asset to the company
Standard replies did good for me. Just try to mention all the positives in your resume. This is where you will be, more often than not, given opportunity to elaborate on your extracurricular activities and responsibilities. L&T especially with their MT profilers would always want a diversified group who can carry out both Management and Engineering with ease.
Nothing much. If you survived till here you are highly likely to get through this as well. All the best!

Just be prepared with all the tests that you performed in your Concrete/Materials Laboratory. Concrete Mixers, Bleeding prevention mechanisms etc.

• Any standard book on Concrete Tech,
Stay Calm. You may not get through companies which your counterparts in Computer Science or other branches would. But if you keep fretting over your past you'd probably ruin your present and it will drastically affect your future. Don't judge yourself by the package you get in the starting. Companies like L&T usually ground their freshies but the longer you stay the more you are of value to the Company. Ask anyone who's been around in the ECC for more than 10 years and they'd tell you the rest. Stay used to of being awake till the wee hours of the morning (for placements at least) as I was not. It did hamper my chances on the first night of the placement. (which is an entirely different experience to share) :P
L&T ECC is known as one of the most gritty companies and provides an avenue for being a party to challenging projects. The work, its type, and its impact is what drove me personally to apply to it.
I don't know if it sounds funny, but after sitting in a big shot finance company on day zero at 1 am in the night, and finally succumbing in round 3, it was almost a draught of 7 days before this opportunity came. And interestingly I had not applied for any other company. So, in the hindsight, I actually find myself lucky enough to have got through. Had this gone then.... :D

HUL management trainee interview

Rhythima ShindeFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at HUL
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

Easy! I had p&G intern and I knew I was going to make to the main list
HUL focuses more on the form they share -
Try to focus more on your technical skills and give a hint of your leadership skills and team work

NA Minutes
NA questions
  • Section 1: NA
NA
NA

Managing a supply chain with various constraints from production to quality managers in the time of lack of workers
It was a tricky problem. I gave five minutes to thinking that what I would have done if I would have had been there and kind of broke down the problem using the consultancy approach I had studied. I focussed over the maximum profitability of company on production and quality and tried to compromise a little bit on Human resources.
As I opened and concluded the discussion myself with major inputs, it went pretty well for me.
- Be practical in approach
- Dont just give points for the sake of talking - it goes in negative side
- HUL focusses a lot on GD - more than interviews - as the problems are reall life cases - so be really prepared (if you didnt have any supply chain xperience - sit with someone who had it earlier and discuss problems as mentioned)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What are your hobbies?
  • Question 2: What have you done so far in the field to make your hobbies convert in your work?
  • Question 3: If you don't love something, say finance, how do you still manage to work on it?
- Hobbies were asked
- I enjoyed every minute of it
- Keep calm
_ Be who you are!!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: All about mechanical engineering!
Grilled me on every basics of mechanical engineering
Keep your basics strong!

HUL demands really good leadership skill experience. Mechanical Engineering books helped :p ( I didn't study for it , though this was my first priority - p&g intern helped).<br /> Be prepared about their vision - try to incline them with yours! It impresses them like anything - worked for me at least!
Again, Be yourself! Be prepared well and dont just rush everywhere with the herd! please!

Do analyse every company and realise your future goals - does it match with your company?

Belive me, you don't need money and fat packages now, you just need to work for your dreams!

I was lucky that i got the work with a good package - but anybody can make money - there are very few who really realise their passion! you will get what you deserve - No less no more! :)
Its sustainability causes! check out their investment on sustainaibility designing of future retail! Mindphack!

It has the biggest CSR investment and its pay is high too, money with your dreams - who doesnt need that, huh!? :D
Interviewer 1 : So, on which brand were you exactly working at p&g?

Me: Sir I guess I am not allowed to say that provided I have signed a confidentiality agreement with p&g

Interviewer 1 : They are not hiring anyone this time, it doesn't matter now, right?

Me : Sir, lets take a condition replacing p&g with HUL and vice versa in this condition - would you have liked me leaking your data? It wouldn't have mattered me even then :D

Interviewer 1 : -_-

Interviewer 2 : Haha :D :D

Flipkart management trainee interview

Ajith ShaikFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for MANAGEMENT TRAINEE role at Flipkart
Test Group Discussion Case Study Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal ability
Similar to CAT level questions. Speed and accuracy is important.
Aptitude and Verbal are important for any placement test for that matter. Start and practice well before the tests. Don't miss your dream company coz of your poor performance in tests. The more you practice, the easier you can get through.

E-Commerce
The topic is to test how much you are inclined to the industry. Moderators are very helpful. Topic is the same for all the groups. One min time to prepare for the topic, about 10 min to discuss. Chance is given for everyone to conclude after GD.
It is important to define and understand the topic more than paying attention to start and conclude the GD. Knowledge on topic is important in GDs. Topics generally depends on company you are preparing for. Allowing and involving other people shows how well you can perform in a team.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Take me through your resume
  • Question 2: What is that one POR you enjoyed the most? I was asked a case study based on the POR i selected.
Make sure you are expressing your interests when you are taking them through your resume! Talk in such a way that your resume has something that profile needed! I talked about my course work which is relevant to the profile offered. Case study was to budget a India wide competition in 2 lakhs!!  Exploring as many options as you can is important! Marketing the event, accommodation for judges, participants, venue charges, Facilities and requirements should be taken care of!
Make sure you are talking to them and explaining them about what is gong in your mind! Interviewer can correct you at any point! Asking questions about information you do not know or have is always advisable.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain how you see E-commerce in India in next few years? What do you think are the problems?
  • Question 2: Why Flipkart?
It is important that you read about company and related companies to answer such questions! Lot of reading is through newspapers and articles! Understanding market models is important! It is important to know and define difference between E-commerce and E-Retail!Once you say the problems faced by E-commerce, you will be asked to suggest solutions for the same! Though it is not expected that you can solve the problem very much technically, having insight is important!
Make sure you have answers for HR questions prepared! Why you? Why this company? Such questions are common in any interview! Make sure you know why you are trying for placement for that company and be ready to explain them! Use this questions to show the knowledge you have about company! Use statistics only if you are sure about them!

• Operation Research,
Developed interest for E-commerce companies!