Intern

Intern Interview Questions and Tips

BCG intern internship interview

Mohit AgarwalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at BCG
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: tell me a situation where you created an impact and brought about a change
  • Question 3: A pharma company is in phase-1 trials of a first of it’s kind drug in the world that can cure baldness permanently. Should it go ahead and sell this formula and rights to a potential buyer and if yes, for what amount.
Two things in the problem statement set the path for me.
a. “Phase -1 trials”, so phase -2, so phase-3 etc had to be looked into – basically the whole development stage from a drug in a lab to a drug in the marketplace.
b. “for what amount” – clearly this case demanded working with numbers, because it was not just a yes/no question, but also asked an approximate deal price.

Solving the case.
a) I laid out the value chain in development of a drug.
b) The interviewer on prodding gave me costs involved in the phased clinical trials and their probabilities of success.
c) CATCH: Phase 3 trials success of failures probability does not affect the overall outcome in expenditure, as even if it is a failure, you have spent the money
d) So I have an approximate numbers on cost in different scenarios.
e) Now, I tried to estimate the potential revenue that can be earned from this drug. The interviewer gave the selling price of the drug has been fixed at USD1000. So now its more of a question of market sizing.
f) Since the company is a global pharma giant, it would be selling all over the world.
g) The problem was now reduced to finding the number of potential male bald customers worldwide ready to shell out USD1000 for a cure.
h) The math worked out that there was no way to make money from this drug (It took a little bit of guts to state this conclusion to the interviewer), and the company abandon this project. Or better still, if somebody is ready to buy the right, just sell it for any amount above the costs you have incurred so far.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The client is a motorcycle manufacturer from India, wanting to sell motorcycles in Nigeria. For simplicity we will talk in INR terms. The motorcycle market of Nigeria is dominated by 3-4 Chinese manufacturers who sell motorcycles at INR25k. My bikes cost INR50k. How do I sell them there?
First I tried to understand the Nigerian motorcycle market. Also, I tried to understand if there was any possibility of the Indian maker to sell cheap – that possibility was ruled out. So, if cost leadership does not work, product differentiation will. How could we then differentiate our product?

a) CATCH: As it turned out in the course of our discussion, the motorcycles were used as taxis
b) The drivers owned the motorcycles and plied pillions around the city for a fee.
c) I worked out the math for these chinese motorcycles -buying cost, maintenance, life, mileage, etc.
d) If the Indian client could beat that number, we could have a winner - the buying cost was high, but we were better on mileage, on life (3 years vs 2 years for the chinese product) and on maintenance. Still the number was not favourable.
e) Next came the idea, that if we could not reduce the cost for the drivers, can we improve the revenue. An idea that I blurted out, but which turned out to be the one the interviewer was looking for – was to have a longer seat so that a total of three people could ride the motorcycle comfortably.
f) Now the numbers started making sense. Also note that the previous numbers would have changed, because the mileage with 3 people on board will be less than 2 ppl onboard. Also, the amount individual customers are ready to shell out for a shared taxi will be lesser than for a private taxi. All these changes accounted for, the numbers still looked positive.
g) So a go ahead was declared.
h) Now came the second part, given that we decide to enter Nigeria – how do we position ourselves as a brand and convince the locals to tru out our new expensive product –the benefits of which can only be ascertained after a period of one or two years i) The answer came in renting out these bikes to the drivers on a trial basis, and let them appreciate our better bikes and let word of mouth do the rest.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The case was a no quantitative one. It was about a private bank which has recently got 50 branch opening licences from RBI. How to decide where to set up these branches?
a). Be calm, but be enthusiastic in the interview. Enthusiasm shows.

b). Make the interview a two way process. Let the interviewer help you solve the problem. He will drop hints. LISTEN to them.

BCG intern internship interview

Anand BarotFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at BCG
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The firm was a two-wheeler manufacturer in India and wanted to introduce its product in Nigeria. I was asked to explore the options it might have and how it should do it.
I first found out the demand and competition in Nigeria. Also looked at the company’s capacity to meet the price requirements of the customer. Important point was that the twowheelers were used as taxi in Nigeria. This point came out when I got an answer to the amount of usage of the product as 50,000 kms annually which was very high. Price we could offer was higher than competition so I suggested changing the design to have two customers per ride than just one, there by increasing revenue per ride and thus customer’s willingness to pay higher.
Then interviewer asked questions about how to market it. I suggested a few advertising ideas like showing increase in standard of living of taxi driver due to usage of product.
Then question was how to get over the inertia that people felt in buying as no one had used our product. For this my options ranged from approaching taxi driver unions to limited number of product units in market for a free 6 month period for the user to experience the product. I also suggested a more spread out distribution within the country to increase visibility of product
The first round allowed me to look at a diverse set of options across functions such as marketing, pricing, design, etc. The good point was identifying early in the interview that the two-wheeler
was used as a taxi. Another good thing was that with each question that the interviewer put forward to reject my suggestion, I was able to give another alternative option

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Few another HR Questions
  • Question 3: The company was a supplier of excavation and other construction equipment. Recently, it had experienced a sharp rise in its warranty costs. I had to probe the issue
I studied the value chain and understood how product complains were generated and solution provided by company. In this I found that the dealer’s engineer was responsible for checking
validity of complains and it was the dealer who got a commission for every complaint that he managed or solved. This was major point that hinted at possible collusion between customer and dealer. On further probing it was found that there was a fraud happening at the dealer’s end. The dealer was generating false complains to earn more commission. To solve the issue I suggested having a company engineer look into the complaint validity. I also suggested having a remote way of monitoring the product health.
Both these solutions were a bit time taking and costly. So a better solution from me was to monitor each product and number of complains it generated in a given period of time. If the same product generates more than normal number of complains in a period, it can hint at possible collusion and the firm can look into that complain before authorizing the warranty.
Second round was more about finding the issue rather than ideation. I was able to unearth the issue well and solution suggested was very practical according to the interviewer.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The firm was a cement manufacturer and wanted to expand into other regions. I had to explore ways and what areas to target.
I looked at regions where the selling price of product was high and suggested we target these regions. Looked at various costs to the dealer or seller of the cement such as inventory storage costs, etc and how we can give him incentive to store and sell our product. Basically it was about increasing the ROI of the dealer wrt costs he incurs to keep our product and benefits he receives by selling it.
Third round was more about gelling with the Partner and being calm. At times when he probed me, I was able to maintain composure.
It is always good to be prepared with your HR answers. That is not to suggest that you cram them up. They need to be genuine and your preparation should involve having a few pointers for each answer.

Most important thing is staying calm and composed and to enjoy the process. You should come across as someone who is enthusiastic about solving problems. Isolate each interview and don’t let it affect next interviews.

It is good to have frameworks at the back of your mind for each type of case. But in the interview, try to ask good qualifying question before putting a framework on paper.

Think aloud and let the interviewer be involved with you in the process of reaching a solution.

Deloitte intern internship interview

Shalu MitrukaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at Deloitte
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: questions on my hobbies.
  • Question 2: summarise your work ex
  • Question 3: case
You want to setup a sales force team in India and you are a US based Pharma company. what will be your budget. So firstly I asked about the drug which I want to launch in India, generic or patent. Who are my competitors? Then how much I want to invest, do I want to start small or want to be a market leader. Do I want to start from scratch, want to sell license, or want to merge or acquire some Indian based company. Regarding sales force, do I want to build a new one, or tie up with existing companies? Further I also asked about pricing regulations in India, do I have to follow a price cap, if yes then what’s the expected profit. For all these I was asked to take assumptions and move on. Secondly I divided costs into external and internal factors. External factors included (costs related to filing of Patent in Indian market, etc) . Internal costs related to HR costs, Sales rep salary, training, samples and free drugs to doctors, land ,factory setups ( told in more detail)

further on the above case I was asked to estimate the number of sales rep required to launch the drug. Solution: For this I asked rough estimation of market size in India, and expected market share for the drug. As per the client’s US benchmark, they invest 30% of the revenue on sales so i got the amount they want to invest in sales rep ( let’s assume X). If one sales rep costs Y, therefore we can estimate the number of sales rep required (X/Y).

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Case : I am a US based company and I sell 3 products A, B, C (I don’t rem exact name) and I am having losses. I assume the reason for facing losses can be either economic downturn, new competitors, or internal problems in the company. Tell me what is the exact reason
So I started with few general questions to check whether it’s economic downturn or new competitors or internal problems. Then I was provided with data sheet ( Please note: the data mentioned below are just rough numbers to give idea about my case)
1) As the sales were neither increasing nor decreasing as per figures and not the market size has increase much. So it was not an economic downturn. As the client’s market share has actually increased rather decreasing so it was not competitor’s problem. So I was only left with increase in costs due to which my profits have not increased. Further also checked if I am pricing less as compared to my competitors. So I was asked to calculate the price of company’s products. So as the prices were not changed in 3 years so I have three equations and 3 variables (2400000 = 1000A+ 1500B+ 1200C, 23000000= 1100A+ 1550B+1100 C and 2500000= 1200A+1600B+1250C). After I wrote equations I was asked to stop and further sheets were provided

In second sheet process diagram was made and small footnotes were given (PLEASE READ FOOTNOTES) So I figured out that process 2(setup2) was 50% time not working which was causing delays in process 3 and process 4, thus increasing costs. Also Setup1 and setup 2 was installed in 2 different time frames and more over they do same work, so there was no requirement of second setup, setup1 can do it ( there was good discussion on this, I don’t remember exactly)
After this as I figured out that process was not efficient, I was given 2 possible systems (shown below with their sales and cost) and was asked to choose one. Though system 1 seemed to be good with high sales and less cost but after few years profit was declining whereas in system 2 though we were at loss but profit was increasing at a much higher rate. Further I was asked to calculated NPV values ( on which I said I have no idea as I was asked to choose some r value)
1) Should know about your job ex nicely, each and every detail

2) Be confident and smile

Auctus Advisors intern internship interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Intern role at Auctus Advisors
HR Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: my PORs at IIT
  • Question 3: discussion about my work ex
  • Question 4: When in a group – are you the silent one or the one who speaks the most
  • Question 5: Asked to narrate a good story based on my POR
  • Question 6: Why consulting?
  • Question 7: Why Auctus?
I was Well prepared for – why consult, why Auctus and about the company. I was confident and the discussion was very interactive.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why consult?
  • Question 2: Why Auctus?
  • Question 3: How is Auctus different from other consulting firms?
  • Question 4: Case : Company A manufactures beer bottles and has only 1 customer B. A sells 50 lakhs bottles per annum. B might raise the demand to 1 crore “after a month” in case IPL takes place this year. A has to decide “today” if it has to go for production of 1 crore bottles. Options for increased production are: (i) Produce as much as A can and get remaining from 3rd party. (ii) Buy a new machine which could produce 1 crore bottles. There is a probability that the new machine might be defective.
  • Question 5: Case : A company is planning to construct a school in Indore. Suggest construction options for profit.
For the first case : I started the case by stating (drawing tree) that there are 2 possibilities i) go for increased production ii) not go for increased production.
In case (i) there are 2 possibilities a) purchase the new machine or b) get from 3rd party.
In case (i)(a) again there are 2 possibilities (1) machine is defective (2) it is not
Followed by stating: to deduce the most appropriate option we need to calculate expected value of profit for each case for which I asked following questions: Current capacity of production (75 lakhs), probability of occurrence of event (IPL), current cost, cost of buying new machine, probability of it being defective and consequences, cost of getting from 3rd party, profit per bottle. (Asked other questions as and when required).
Then computed expected value of profit for each of the 3 possible options and suggested to go for one with maximum expected value of profit.
Discussed the case for about 45 mins

For the Second case : I started with questions Does the company has prior experience in this sector? How many schools are there in surrounding area and type? Which part of the city are we aiming at (outskirts)? Since it was on outskirts I suggested that it could go for full + day boarding and continued further on that: type of school (medium, standards, registration fee).
He stated that the land was quite big and cheaper (as it is located on outskirts). I suggested that company could invest in other options like sports (swimming pool, TT etc.) for which it could charge. Could lend a portion for cafeteria etc.
Didn’t discuss much on this case due to lack of time

Ask clarification questions. Think loud. Have a good discussion.

Stay calm, confident and happy. Enjoy the process.

Neha AgarwalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at Accenture Strategy
Other Interview Case Study Interview

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself
  • Question 2: What do you think about the current macro-economic condition of our country from business perspective?
  • Question 3: What do you think about the current inflation and exchange rate of our economy?
  • Question 4: After QE tapering and witnessing its effect on Indian exchange rate, what are some of the most impactful steps taken by Govt to control the fluctuation in exchange rate?
  • Question 5: What are some of the things that can be improved to promote business?
  • Question 6: Asked me to explain a project I did at workplace on reputation risk
  • Question 7: Tell me something about the firm you worked at and your role?
  • Question 8: Asked me about 2 other short term projects from work mentioned in CV
  • Question 9: Very standard ‘Sales Declining’ Case- My client is from auto industry, his sales are declining, analyse why? (asked me to list down all the possible reasons)
  • Question 10: Tell me about your experience at IIM Lucknow and what would you like to change?
  • Question 11: Have you explored Lucknow, outside your college campus? If so, one thing you’d like to change or dislike?Have you explored Lucknow, outside your college campus? If so, one thing you’d like to change or dislike?
  • Question 12: Tell me one thing that is not there on your CV.
  • Question 13: Why Accenture?

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: One thing I liked about the Accenture PPT and case workshop, one thing that I did not like
  • Question 2: Which team would you like to join- CN or India Business?
  • Question 3: Is it okay if we send you to a small village like xyz on a client project?
  • Question 4: What will you do if we do not select you? what other shortlists you have?
  • Question 5: Case. There is a housing society “The wasteful society”, you collect all the household garbage and sell it to 5 different businesses. Determine what price you will pay to the society members in Rs/kg, given you want to make a profit of 20% for a year. The garbage you collect is sold to the following 5 vendors: a. Compost Manufacturer b. Plastic Recycler c. Paper Recycler d. Metal Recycler e. Miscellaneous
The following questions were written on the case sheet:
Q1- How would you price the garbage to make a profit? (what would be your strategy)
Q2- What information would you need to proceed in the case, prioritize your questions.
Q3- Apart from obtaining money from the above 5 vendors, what are other revenue streams?
Q4- What are some of the other factors you would consider when you price the society?
Prepare to answer questions based on CV.

You should be able to structure the case on paper/ verbally.

Interview should be conversational.

McKinsey intern internship interview

Swati ThakurFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at McKinsey
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Discussion on PORs, slightly longer discussion on my work- projects undertaken, insights
  • Question 3: Guesstimate: No. of tennis balls in India at any point of time (2 approaches)
  • Question 4: Case: Falling revenue of a Theatre in Mumbai; wasn’t typical was a detailed discussion on all possible aspects that could affect revenue/profitability
Guesstimate:
Though the initial plan was to discuss the approach and the numbers both, we ended up discussing the approach at great length. He then asked me to give him another apprach for the same, which I did. We discussed the pros and cons of both approaches.
Case:
Asked qualifying questions about the industry, about the revenue streams, the theatre and genre. Laid down the basic structure of the case; then we went into a detailed discussion of the value chain.
Beyond the basic structure, I think I was being tested on depth of analysis, idea generation and thinking on my feet. We discussed the whole process of how and why a customer would come to any particular theater, then looked at the possible issues at each step.
We then proceeded to discuss different scenarios-what would happen if any particular aspect of the theatre as altered, what can be the possible areas of improvement for the theatre in particular and any theater in general.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: some basic HR questions
  • Question 2: Follow-up question/comments on my answers in the HR form filled a week prior to placements
  • Question 3: Case: Valuation of different revenue streams for an Indian Super League Team (mainly a lot of number work)
Valuation of different revenue streams for an Indian Super League Team The intent of the case was to check my comfort level with numbers because that’s what the partner made me do. I had no idea about ISL and I said that clearly to which the partner readily gave me a brief overview of how it works. Then, I laid down a structure after asking a few basic questions about their revenue streams. From then on, it was me calculating revenue from different sources to the last decimal. Even when I did make a small error, I gracefully accepted it and it was fine.
• It is important that your HR answers are not made-up because the interviwers appreciate honesty

• Its good to have a question in mind to ask when you’re given a chance at the end of the interview

• If you don’t know something in a guesstimate/case or if you think you made an error somewhere, it is perfectly okay to ask/accept and take a step back

Case Study Interview HR Interview Case Study Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Problem was about the falling market share of an FMCG company. Interviewer was looking for a structure to the problem and the various factors that I can come up specific to the FMCG sector. He gave me some numbers, which had to be traced backwards to get the company’s profits.
Interview started with ‘Tell me about yourself’. It went straightway to a case from the FMCG sector. A little tricky but doable. The company’s profit margin had to be compared to the industry average and some knowledge of various ratios of this industry, helped me give valuable insights.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How was my last interview? What could I have done better?
  • Question 2: Why Consulting? Why not go into my field of engineering?
  • Question 3: Why did I leave KPMG?
  • Question 4: What can I do to motivate a team?
  • Question 5: Who has a greater influence in my life- school or parents. Why?
  • Question 6: Why Accenture?
  • Question 7: Any questions you would like to ask?

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: What work you did at KPMG and why you left it?
  • Question 3: My biggest learning out of my job?
  • Question 4: The case was about a magician who was controlling the supply of food that was eventually going in the well. I had to determine the speed of conveyor belt, that would help in transferring the food. He asked me to list the questions I would like to ask him.
The interview started with general HR questions, and then he moved on the case. He had made a confusing diagram. I didn’t not get into the mathematics, and asked basic questions about the motive of the magician. Why is the food going inside the well etc. I also listed down the questions related to mathematics on a piece of paper.

stress more on what is the problem and what exactly is happening. Prepare your HR answers well in advance, which help you on the final day.

McKinsey intern internship interview

Akhilesh ChauhanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIM Lucknow for Intern role at McKinsey
Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Guesstimate Interview HR Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: General HR
  • Question 2: Dicussion on projects in public sector
  • Question 3: Case
  • Question 4: How to control PDS kerosene leakages in petrol pumps?
Went by the distribution of kerosene across various nodes & analysed issues. Discussed measure to control it at retailer points (Consumer data digitization, mapping to Aadhar card in the future, etc) as well as at wholesaler points (this is where the bulk of kerosene was lost). Overall, had a good discussion.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A case on a hotel operating in losses. Made me calculate the profit margins for ‘Room’ & ‘Non-Room’ segments of the hotel followed by qualitative discussion on how to improve profitability.
Somehow became nervous while doing the initial calculations. Realized it & took a step back to form an income statement of the hotel & broke it into ‘Room’ & ‘Non-Room’ segments. Found out that ‘Non-room’ segment is under heavy losses. Discussed ideas to improve it. I think this interview did not go well. Did not get a good response from Suveer.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Guess estimate on estimation of 1 year revenue for NEUFC (ISL team)
  • Question 2: General HR
Broke NEUFC revenue into components (Stadium sales (Tickets+food), Merchandise, Sponsorships, Broadcast revenue, Player transfers, etc). Guesstimate for only the stadium sales for the whole tournament. I think this was the cracker I was waiting for. Interviewer seemed very much impressed.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Extensive HR
Very dis-interested person in front. Did not try to make an eye contact with me. Working with something while I was giving my ‘Tell me about yourself’. After I finished he took a 30 second pause looking down. I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Then he suddenly asks me what is so special about me? Probably my response was satisfying for him and he asked me whether I had any questions for him or not. Then we discussed about his experience at Mck.
Never ever panic in the interview. Always keep a smile on your face & answer confidently. While doing your case practices, do take time out to introspect for at least half an hour before sleep every day. This will help you build strong HR answers.

HR Interview Other Interview Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Why Consulting?
  • Question 3: What have you done in IIM Lucknow all this while?
  • Question 4: Favourite subjects- Questions covering accounts, ratios, interpretation of financial statements

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions on Capital Asset Pricing model
  • Question 2: Other models to measure risk ( Harry Markovitz model)
  • Question 3: Which one is better?
  • Question 4: NPV vs IRR
  • Question 5: My stand on US- Syria war, Hong Kong protests
  • Question 6: Why consulting
  • Question 7: How has the journey been so far in IIM Lucknow?
The second round was with Asia Pacific head and it started with him asking me which horizontal or Vertical I see myself in. On mentioning Finance, the whole interview revolved around Financial
Management and Investment concepts besides basic FRA.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions about companies preferring lower profit or higher profit ( Shareholder confidence vs tax evasion)
  • Question 2: Questions on Income tax provisions, indirect tax provisions
The partner wanted to testify the claims made by the second round interviewer about my inclination towards Finance. He gave me situations and asked me what impact each event or
transaction will have on Profit and loss statement, Balance sheet and Cash flow statement.
Have clarity of thought in talking about your area of interest. Have structure, and coherence in HR Answers. Know your CV really well. And maintain your calm, it shows.

HR Interview HR Interview Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
  • Question 2: How was my last interview? What could I have done better?
Interview started with HR, and went straightway to a case from the FMCG sector. It was a little tricky but doable. The company’s profit margin had to be compared to the industry average and some knowledge of various ratios of this industry, helped give valuable insights.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: Why Consulting? Why not go into my field of engineering?
  • Question 3: Problem was about the falling market share of an FMCG company. He gave some numbers, which had to be traced backwards to get the company’s profits.
  • Question 4: Why Consulting? Why not go into my field of engineering?
  • Question 5: Why did I leave KPMG?
  • Question 6: What can I do to motivate a team?
  • Question 7: Who has a greater influence in my life- school or parents. Why?
This was taken by the company HR.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why Accenture?
For the case, He had made a confusing diagram. I didn’t not get into the mathematics, and asked basic questions about the motive of the magician. Why is the food going inside the well etc. I also listed down the questions related to mathematics on a piece of paper.
Prepare HR answers well in advance. Prepare “Do you have any question for me?”