Hardware Engineer

Hardware Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Nvidia hardware engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Hardware Engineer role at Nvidia
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

Written round separate for Hardware and Software profiles for an hour each. You could write only one. Maybe around 100 from EC/EE attended the test as there was a pointer cutoff of 8.

Interview Questions
      8 people selected from the Hardware profile.

Interview Questions

1) No aptitude preparation at all. This wan't required also as nVIDIA is a core Electronics company.<br /> 2) Preparation for written test : Review of all digital electronics and related courses taken during three years of ECE (VLSID, DSD, MP, DECA).<br /> 3) Nothing of analog electronics or linear systems asked in the test. Exclude such preparation if you want to write the nVIDIA Hardware test.<br /> 4) Have at least one Computer Architecture related project in your resume and be ready to speak on it.<br /> 5) Knowledge of VHDL/Verilog is a huge plus.
        The overall experience was rewarding at the end of it, but it was an exhausting process. All the waiting about for your interviews and results will drain your mental energy. I had a four hour wait in the TNP for my name to be called for the tech interview (I was the last to be interviewed). Even though it helps that you can ask from the previous candidates about what transpired in their interview, the wait can get really tiring. Also, be sure that as the afternoon progresses, even the panelists get tired of successive interviews, so there is an added challenge to make sure to be noticed. The one advantage of late Tech and HR rounds was that I had to wait for a very less time for the results. But at last after getting the offer, nothing matters much.

For the test, there will be a variety of questions over the entire scope of digital electronics. Expect STA, CMOS Implementation, Comp. Arch. basics, Memory models (we had a cache latency question), sequential circuits and synchronization, and even a question on C coding. So go into the test with a thorough revision of the 4 courses: DSD, MP, VLSID and DECA. The C question will be a comparatively easy one.

For the technical interview, "We've already tested your basic technical skills in the test. We want to know more about what you've worked on." was the first statement from the interviewer. So be prepared to explain any of your projects listed in your resume in detail. It helps if you have some project related to Computer Architecture to speak on. Of course there will be one or two technical questions after to probe the depth of your knowledge.

Qualcomm hardware engineer internship interview

P VINEETH KUMARFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Hardware Engineer role at Qualcomm

• Section 1: Aptitude
        • Section 2: Programming Skills
        • Section 3: Hardware/Software
        All Sections have negative marking.Aptitude part was easy and I felt Programming some tough as I was not accustomed to terms in coding.Third section has different profiles 1)Hardware(circuits and digital electronics) 2)Communication 3)Software.I appeared for Hardware and I felt the paper was lengthy as it has 20 questions and only 30 minutes to solve and it was tough.It was based on concepts like analog circuits,digital circuits,computer architecture.
        For aptitude general prep is enough.
        Section 3 plays important role.So you must be clear about related topics to answer.
        Be relaxed and try to answer known questions leaving unknown behind.

Interview Questions
          I was selected for Hardware partas I applied for it.
          Basic questions on circuits and digital systems were asked..
          Some about diodes and its basic functions.
          Digital questions on counters and decoders were asked.
          Be confident on what you know and try to prove you were strong in particular area.
          Questions were easy if u have prepared even a little bit.

Interview Questions
            They ask about your interests and your future plans and what are you expecting from your job.They want to know are you flexible to do and learn any subject.
            They ask what do you know about company.
            Don't get nervous . Always keep your attitude up but don't be arrogant .
            Learn something about Qualcomm like their products etc..

• Analog And Digital Knowledge
            Prepare well about circuits.
            Know your basics in electronics well.

Be confident throughout the interview.
            I was interested in Electronics and Qualcomm would be a great place to work in Electronics.

Cisco Systems hardware engineer interview

Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Hardware Engineer role at Cisco Systems
            Test Interview Interview

I studied c, data structures since it is compulsory for most of the companies. Went through one or two previous years papers in the placement web site. Just before the day of the test I went through the digital and microprocessor basics.

There were two profiles; Software and Hardware. We had an option to write both the tests, so i took the software and then hardware (I was not at all serious about hardware). The aptitude section was common to both the profiles, which is comparatively easy. Some questions were repeated from the previous year’s question paper which was given in the placement website. The questions in software profile included digital, microprocessor basics and some general networking and operating systems qns. As I remember correct, surprisingly there were no C, Data structure questions. But it is always better to expect c, data structures in every placement test you write. In networking, IP address related questions are so common that you will find it everywhere.

Interview Questions
                1st round: was everything based on your resume. If you can impress them in your first round, you are half way through. They started from simple questions but finally ended up in my research work. I had to defend my work like anything.

2nd work: Puzzles, C, data structures: It was the simplest round. They look at the way you think.

3rd round: Networking basics questions. Some of the candidates did not have this round. It could perform only in an average level in this round (may be below average too :)). I think they do not expect much of the networking knowledge from you. Otherwise I wouldn't have got through.

Interview Questions
                  No worries in this round. Be yourself and answer naturally. They asked something like if a conflict comes, how do you deal with it? etc.

The presence of mind and the way you defend your project is very important. I mentally prepared on how to present my research work and projects. Networking basics. I stayed calm.<br /> <br /> Prepare C, data structure foe all companies. Communication Network helped a bit in networking.Common subjects will help in QUALCOMM and Broadcom. If you are aspiring for finance companies, prepare IMO questions.

Nvidia hardware engineer interview

Karthikeyan NatarajanFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Hardware Engineer role at Nvidia

• Section 1: Computer Architecture (Basic)
                    • Section 2: Digital Systems
                    • Section 3: Digital IC Design
                    1 question on cache miss.

1 question on CMOS circuit design for MUX
                    Learn basics very well.

Digital IC design  - RC delay calculation, designing circuits using CMOS, transmission gates, NMOS, memory design etc.

Computer Architecture - problems oriented - so learn cache miss, no of bits calculation problems, MIPS, etc.

Digital Systems -

Some logic questions - learning to use divide and conquer, stack, queues, hashes on non-programming problems,

• Computer Architecture : A Quantitative Approach Book by David Patterson and John L. Hennessy,
                      • digital ic design rabaey,
                      • digital systems morris mano,
                      • Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy : Data Structure and Algorithmic Puzzles, Second Edition (English),
                      If you have done any work which is related to NVIDIA, it might help.

In my case, I have worked in CUDA for my project.

Keep details about your project at your fingertips.
                      VLSI is my core and interest. I had plenty of experience in designing systems in FPGA and EDA algorithms. I am also into parallel algorithms in GPU.

Test Interview Interview

MCQ type. No negative marking.
                        Question paper had two sections.
                        (i) General Aptitude
                        (ii) Technical
                        The technical section had 50 questions and out of which 40 were from electrical questions. I was able to answer only the CS part and marked randomly for other elec based questions.
                        Do well in your aptitude section and CS section.

Interview Questions
                          I was hired for Network Consultant profile. So they asked me questions from networks. The questions were simple. If they are opting for programmer profile, they would be asked questions from C and data structures.

Interview

Interview Questions
                          • Question 1: General HR questions.
                          • Question 2: What are your achievements?
                          • Question 3: What would you do if your manager does not agree to you?
                          • Question 4: What are your hobbies?
                          They were assessing how I would react in case of difference in opinion with manager, etc etc.

I have no idea on how they shortlisted students for written test. For the interview, it was based upon our written <br /> test performance. Since they came on day 3, they had a waiting list of students for the interview.<br /> <br /> <br /> Started solving previous year question papers. Almost all companies follow the same pattern which they had in the previous years. You might even get the same questions. Start solving puzzles and previous year question papers from August. There would be flurry of companies coming for CS and it would be very difficult if one starts preparing late. Earlier the preparation the better.<br /> <br /> Important for CS students: C, C++, Data structures and Algorithms, OS. <br /> <br /> Few companies ask students to write programs on paper. The best way to prepare would be start solving <br /> programming questions.

• RS Agarwal,
                            I started my preparation in October. I was doing all the learning writing tests. :)

It would definitely help students if they start their preparation by August.

Nvidia hardware engineer internship interview

Srinath JaganFresherSelected
                            Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Hardware Engineer role at Nvidia
                            Resume Shortlist Resume Shortlist Technical Interview

Had a decent CGPA (>8.5) and good number of projects. Also had good academic achievements (olympiads etc).
                            Keep resume crisp. Do not try to overdo the points to impress.

Interview Questions
                              Found myself in trouble in quite a few questions. But took time, persevered and also had a clear rationale to choose this company.
                              Have good understanding of computer organization, Data Structures and Algorithms and digital circuits. Also be ready to answer few puzzles. DO NOT get flustered and persevere during interview.

• 1)communication Skills
                              • Computer Architecture
                              • Basic Digital Logic
                              • Algorithms And Data Structures
                              Be calm, confident and take time to understand the questions. Use first principles as often as possible.

Videos
                              • Nptel.ac.in,
                              • Digital Circuits,
                              • Computer Architecture,

Qualcomm hardware engineer interview

Application
                              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Hardware Engineer role at Qualcomm

• Section 1: Online Test
                              Multiple choice questions divided into three sections:
                              a) General aptitude
                              b) C programming
                              c) Electronics

Interview Questions
                                Technical interview 1 : My first round interview was at the digital panel (there was another panel for analog). The questions were mainly focused on basic digital electronics and VHDL coding. Also some puzzles which required simple logical thinking.
                                3. Technical interview 2 : The second round had questions from basics of VLSI design, setup and hold time, etc.

Interview Questions
                                  The HR interview was more of a formality and included the usual questions.

Most of the questions test your knowledge of the fundamentals of the subjects. Once your basics are strong you can easily crack the interview.<br /> The earlier you start your preparations, you have better chances of getting through. Find some time to prepare during the summer vacation as it can earn you a great advantage. Don’t get nervous during the interview and always have a pleasant smile.
                                  The overall experience was challenging as well as rewarding. All the interviewers were very nice and polite and made me comfortable. Make sure to mention the topics of your interest at the beginning of the interview. Be prepared to explain the projects mentioned in your resume. If you are not sure of the answer to a question, explain to the interviewer your approach to the question as he may guide you to the correct answer. They gave more importance to problem solving approach than accurate answers.

Job profile offered – Hardware Engineer Given an opportunity to ask something to the company people, feel free to ask for more details of the profile offered and the kind of work that the profile demands.

Test Technical Interview HR Interview

Good knowledge of OS concepts will be useful in clearing the test. The programming questions and aptitude was fairly easy.

Objective type questions covered the following areas
                                    Section 1 - Aptitude
                                    Section 2 - Operating system, Microprocessor, C Programming, Networking

Interview Questions
                                      My C Programming / Data Structures skills were mainly tested.

Interview Questions
                                        HR Round was very brief- only questions regarding location preference, previous roles etc were asked.

Watched a few mock interviews (Youtube / other websites). I also went through some books which covered common interview questions. Electives and course work details were not considered for shortlisting. My MS thesis is in the area of Wireless networking. It helped me to convince the interviewer why I was interested in working in a networking company.<br /> <br /> I initially focused on aptitude, then Programming / Algorithms and data structures.
                                          Two-Three weeks before the first placement test. For communication companies, I refreshed digital communication fundamentals. Basic of linear algebra and probability theory. Also, spent some time, studying the basics of data structures and algorithms.

One should be prepared to explain every detail in his/her resume. Most interviews start with the description of one's project work. For both core (communication) and non-core companies, programming concepts (C and data structures) are very important.

Initial Short-listing : Written Test
                                            There were two profiles; Software and HardwareOption to write both the testsAptitude section common to both the profiles; comparatively easy. Questions repeated from previous year‟s question paper which given in the placement websiteQuestions in software profile included digital, microprocessor basics and some general networking and operating systems questionsTopics for hardware profile was mostly digital IC design and some questions from analog circuits
                                            Focus on aptitude, then Programming / Algorithms and data structuresGood CGPA definitely helps. But systematic preparation is most important

Interview Questions
                                              Interview is held in 3-4 rounds – one HR round and the remaining technical rounds
                                              Round duration can vary from 20 minutes to 1 hour
                                              Technical rounds - 1st round is everything based on your resume. If you can impress them in your first round, you are half way through. Other technical rounds consist Electronics and Communication Engineering basics, Networking, C programming, Data Structures,Operating systems, Puzzles
                                              In Interview, questions follow from the answers you give. So be careful while answering.Don't bring in something you are not clear about

Interview Questions
                                                HR round consisted of general HR questions

Test HR Interview Technical Interview

The test was Aptitude and Technical (Mostly digital IC design and some questions from analog circuits)

Interview Questions
                                                    • Question 1: Can you work in a team and how you resolve conflicts with your team mates?
                                                    • Question 2: Ready to relocate?
                                                    • Question 3: Will you join if offered?

Interview Questions
                                                      Be thorough with concepts in Digital Ic design and Digital logic. Go through standard interview questions like clock dividers, standard verilog codes, MUX based implementations etc.

I think I got selected because of my approach to their questions. I think my resume matched their profile and they liked my project and the way I explained it in detail.<br /> <br /> Following courses will help for Digital Profile...<br /> <br /> Digital IC design<br /> CAD for VLSI<br /> Digital Design Verification<br /> Advanced Topics in VLSI

• Rabaey and Weste & harris Text books for Digital Ic design.,
                                                        • Digital logic design,
                                                        • Notes (Nagendra sir) for Analog Circuits.,
                                                        • GATE preparation also helps.,
                                                        Good CGPA definitely helps. But systematic preparation is most important. Don't neglect aptitude. Practice it well before placements. Go through previous papers of the companies. In interview, questions follow from the answers you give. So be careful while answering. Don't bring in something you are not clear about.