Graduate Trainee

Graduate Trainee Interview Questions and Tips

Tata Motors graduate trainee interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for GRADUATE TRAINEE role at Tata Motors
Test Group Discussion HR Interview

• Section 1: Online test
There was one online written test divided into 4 sections- English, Aptitude (Quantitative Analysis, Verbal ability) & Technical questions.

2 Hour test (15 English, 25 Quantitative Analysis, 35 Verbal ability, 25 Mechanical Engineering Questions). Questions were basic and simple.

Are smartphones making us dumb?
I think this played a crucial role in my selection and gave me the upper hand over other candidates. We were 8 candidates in one group for GD. Before starting the actual group discussion they asked us that “any one of you can stand up voluntarily and tell us about your college". Here I took the initiative and spoke about the MNIT (bit of history, about departments, about achievements of the college, about various technical and non-technical activities which was going on.) until he stopped me. Here I would like to give credits to my extra-curricular.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself and family
  • Question 2: Technical Projects Undertaken
  • Question 3: Latest technologies in Automobile Industry
HR plus Technical InterviewAs I was the Placement Coordinator also and was hosting their campus visit too, so i got an edge of it. In the interview first they asked me "Tell me about yourself & family background". Then they asked me "have you done any technical Projects?"

I told them about SAE Efficycle. Then they asked me "what do you excite in Automobile industry?" I told them about Latest technology and SUVs. Then they asked about what are the latest technologies in Automobile industries. I told them about CRDI & VVT. Then they asked me if I give 5 lacs rupees and ask you to buy a car which parameters you will look as a mechanical engineers? Then they ask me about Turbocharger? Then they try to puzzle me. They ask me that if we give you the “HR” profile will you accept it? I said no. I told them according to my qualification, I fit to a technical profile and it also excites me. Here they were basically cross-checking me interest.
1. Be aware about the latest technologies in Automobile.

2. You should know basics of Automobile Engineering & IC Engine

3. Be confident & genuine in interview , don’t just give abrupt answer, if you don’t know the answer then tell them that I don’t know the answer or I am not recalling it.

• Technical knowledge
  • Communication skills
  • Confidence
Know the basics of the field you want to enter into. Be aware about the progress in that field.Be confident and genuine.

Shubham SharmaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Graduate Trainee role at Flipkart
Group Discussion Guesstimate Interview Case Study Interview

15-20 Minutes
Each and every one was given sufficient time to express their opinions but since there are more than 100 guys you are competing with, do try to make an impression somewhere on the mind of the recruiter.
Nothing specifically, similar to the cliche GDs that all the other firms take but the only point to be kept in mind in case of Flipkart is, from the list of 120 odd people it is gonna come down to 50. So, try to keep that in mind.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Demand of TVs next year? Specify one 'good' and one 'bad' approach.
It was pretty chilled out, since they will try to help you all along. Difficulty level was okayish, nothing to be afraid of. Slight CV grilling and basic HR questions too were covered in this round. No monsters there.
Make use of the paper they give you. try to be as graphically illustrative as possible. Think out loud. Make them move along with you, hence if you get stuck up they will be able to help you instantly, saving you some time. Also, this will keep them involved and interested in you.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What would you suggest Kishore Biyani against us (Flipkart) to stay in competition?
I took a moment to jot down some points, no one in the the panel seemed to complain(I guess :P). I suggest 5-6 possible strategies and elaborated specifically. Not much counter questioning( Maybe they liked the answer or maybe the question was a meager formality :P)
Again, nothing to be afraid of. Not the consultancy type cases where framework building and segmentation is necessary. Here they will try to judge your business acumen rather than your 'Case In Point' MuggPower.

• Communication Skills
  • Business Sense
Keep yourself updated. If you are reading ET regularly and have a fair idea about the case analysis strategies, it will be walk through the cake.

• Case in point,
  • Case interview cracked,

General Electric [ GE ] graduate trainee interview

AmanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for GRADUATE TRAINEE role at General Electric [ GE ]
Resume Shortlist Test Interview Interview

A decent effort is required in making CV... All technical projects and internships should be written effectively.
POR is not required.

60 min Minutes
  • Section 1: 10 Technical question of Mechanical System Design Only. Nothing from Manufacturing and thermal.
  • Section 2: Subjective Question based on personality and question like (Why do you want to join GE)
Nice experience..
Knowledge of design matters

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked about Favourite subject.. and was asked about topic from it.
  • Question 2: Why CG is low?
  • Question 3: What is endurance limit?
  • Question 4: Fracture MEchanics ?
  • Question 5: Your plans about Ph.D ?
  • Question 6: Physical significance of endurance limit, nodes?
  • Question 7: How to identify Nodes just by seeing a Machine?
  • Question 8: Physical significance of different energy theories?
Prepare Design subjects properly. Try to Know the Physical significance of every possible topic.
Keep Calm and if you a little bit answer try to frame it..interviewer will help u if u r on right track.
But don't stick to a question if u have no idea about that..

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about Yourself ?
  • Question 2: Information about Family background
  • Question 3: Strength and weakness with example?
  • Question 4: What was the reason of failure in the interview of earlier company?
If you are mentioning your strengths and weakness then be ready with at least one example.
Focus on your strength
Think and answer
Try to give real answer

• Technical Knowledge
If you are in Mechanical System Design. You have a high chance. Prepare all design subjects.
Dream company for people who want to work in core engineering.

Edison Engineering Development programme is world recognized

Thermax graduate trainee interview

Deepak AgrawalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surat for GRADUATE TRAINEE role at Thermax
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Technical ,questions were mainly from control system and instrumentation(40 ques.) with negative
  • Section 2: Aptitude (15 ques.) with negative
  • Section 3: Verbal
  • Section 4: Images Rotation
  • Section 5: Logical Reasoning
Ques. were easy ,there is no requirement of extra preparation.all the questions include only basic idea.
First of all solve the tech. section than apti .after that image rotation ,after that logical reasoning and at last verbal

Internet boon or bane
That' was good
Only 8 members were selected for GD round. we already decided before the gd ,everyone will speak only for two minutes and we did the same thing.seeing the our team work ,panel members were very impressed and there was no elimination.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: They ask me about my favourite topic.
  • Question 2: My favourite topics were induction,synchronous machine and tranformer
  • Question 3: Difference between working principles of these machines,requirements,efficiency formulas.
  • Question 4: Supply methods etc.
That's was good
Only tell your favourite topics ,in which you have urs commands and knows the basic ideas about that topics.
If u not able to give the answer ,don't try to give wrong answer ,instead of giving wrong answer simply say sorry .

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Your idol
  • Question 3: How u can help us
  • Question 4: What is urs big achievements
I was happy and it was not so lengthy .
Don't try to be over smart.

Parth SabharwalFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Guwahati for Graduate Trainee role at Flipkart
    Test Group Discussion Guesstimate Interview Guesstimate Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Ability
    • Section 2: Verbal
    Test was a little long according to the time allotted, but that's part of the challenge.
    Revise basic mathematical concepts, like geometry and puzzles. Work on vocabulary, which was slightly below GRE level.

Challenges to the e-commerce industry
    The moderator actively participated in the discussion, starting with outlining the broad topics of discussion, pointed out by the candidates themselves. He then proceeded with 2-3 minutes discussion on each of the 8 topics.
    Stay in touch with the developments of the e-commerce industry and the business model of the company.

Interview Questions
      Standard HR questions and guesstimates are asked. Assessment of the candidate is done and the feedback is forwarded. Unlike a stress interview, the atmosphere was very relaxed, with the conversation often venturing into informal areas.
      Try to put forth your best front, and focus on the best points in your CV.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Practical, real life execution question.
      One question was asked, which involved making estimates of the practical, day to day functioning of the company, on topics ranging from finances, work force, strategy etc.
      Knowledge of logistics and working off start ups will help.

• Practicality
      • Managerial Skills
      • Work Experience
      My mobile rang during the first interview, though I was sure it was off. But the interviewer was nice enough to let it slide, and have me a good feedback.

Flipkart graduate trainee interview

Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for GRADUATE TRAINEE role at Flipkart
      Test Group Discussion HR Interview Case Study Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test
      Type of questions and details: Normal aptitude questions. Usually cutoff goes around 50, so you can estimate that it is about speed and not your intelligence.

30-60 Minutes
      FDI in retail
      For group discussion they’ll ask recent topics, so a general knowledge of what’s happening and your ability to speak will take you through. There were 8 of us.
      1. Use moments of pause to deliver your ideas
      2. It’s good to start the discussion and frame it, but it is not essential
      3. Always put points, Flipkart doesn’t asks random topics so speaking absurd ideas will not be beneficial for you.
      4. Always take note of what others are telling, they’ll ask you to conclude
      5. If you’ll enter in an arguments, you are out of the discussion
      6. Keep your nerves under control and deliver what you got

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
      • Question 2: Your usual introduction, education?
      • Question 3: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      • Question 4: Strengths and weaknesses?
      • Question 5: How are you a good fit for the company?
      It was a Skype interview.
      What went well for me was that I made some really good suggestions regarding the company like:
      1. They should have live chat support
      2. Option to try 2 items before buying 1 of them (in clothes and footwear)
      3. No. of warehouses should be increased to assure faster delivery

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: If you were to launch a new product (clothes in my case), what are the factors you’ll consider and what strategy you’ll follow?

Some MBA courses which have case studies might help. Doing probability and statistics is strongly recommended.

• Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma,
      Read newspapers regularly (it really helps)

1. Don’t get into an argument in GD

2. Always speak points (casts good impression)

3. Speed is essential to qualify the test

4. Don’t panic and keep you nerves under control

5. In Case studies don’t jump to a conclusion immediately (ask them for

more and more information until you see you have considered all the

factors, then conclude)

6. Solve as many puzzles as possible so that the one you get in interview, you’ve solved already.

Flipkart graduate trainee interview

Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Graduate trainee role at Flipkart
      Test Group Discussion Interview Interview Interview

• Section 1: Verbal
      • Section 2: Apptitude
      The test was for around an hour it consisted of Quant and verbal sections.
      Simple questions just basic math and verbal understanding would suffice.

Lies, damned lies and statistics
      All the students shortlisted from the exam were divided into 3 sets and 3 GDs were conducted. Each GD had 8 students. It lasted for 30 min.
      One thing that will help in a GD especially when you are not sure about the topic like my case is to listen patiently to others so that you get an idea as to what the topic is exactly about. A strict no to cutting on someone when he/she is making a point and shouting in a loud tone. Both these indicate that you are not fit to be in a team and you are slightly dominating types respectively

Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Basic puzzles

Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Guess the number of vehicles on the Chennai roads between 5 to 6
      I was asked this because my resume had some decent points about my work and interest in transportation engineering.
      You need to have some decent knowledge on basic figures like the population of Chennai or India etc., to be able to do these guesstimates well. obviously speed in basic calculations will help.

Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Basic questions on inventory model
      Factors affecting inventory modeling
      They were not really looking for any specific electives or courses but having knowledge of Operations Research would help.

Most importantly, you must be in a position to explain everything that you put in your resume perfectly especially your final year project.

Good resume, decent quant and verbal skills, and analytical skills, ability to communicate things properly, reasonable knowledge on current affairs and happenings in the world.

year wise plan for juniors.

1. Explore everything but never ignore acads

2. Decide on what you want to do after graduating

3. Start preparing for CAT, GRE, TOFEL.

CGPA matters so never ignore acads.

Reliance graduate trainee interview

Shashank BansalFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Graduate trainee role at Reliance
        Resume Shortlist Test Interview

Express briefly what you did in your life

• Section 1: Chemical reaction engineering
        • Section 2: Thermodynamics
        • Section 3: Fluid mechanics
        • Section 4: Petroleum a little
        • Section 5: Aptitude general
        I couldn't attempt all the questions because time was less
        Aptitude was easy so try attempting all .Technical part time is less so first all the theory questions and all the questions from the topics which you know well then go to other questions.

Interview

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
        • Question 2: Why reliance?
        • Question 3: Questions related to project which I did
        • Question 4: Anything significant which you did for society
        I already faced more than 3 interviews before reliance interview so I was prepared for this questions and confident in answering them.I was well prepared about any questions related to my intern and project
        Just show them your enthusiasm about reliance and that you will adjust in remote areas easily be prepared with resume.List out all the questions which interviewer can ask from your resume and make a list of prepared answers.

• Enthusiasm
        • Confidence
        • A little technical knowledge
        Don't loose hopes you will surely get placed.Something better will be waiting for you.
        This is one of the largest company in petrochemical sector and the training which reliance provide you will not get it anywhere in the world

Cognizant graduate trainee interview

Nikita SrivastavaFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at st.thomas college of engineering and technology for Graduate Trainee role at Cognizant
        Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: logical
        • Section 2: verbal
        • Section 3: quantitative
        time management was difficult..especially with verbal passages and quantative.
        clear ur basics and start practicing with time atleast a month before

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: mathematical puzzles
        • Question 2: program on c..sum of odd numbers from 0 to 100
        • Question 3: questions on physics like relative motions n all.
        see,they can ask anything they feel like...physics ,maths,sanskrit ,u need to b confident.
        be confident and fight stress.keep smilimg

• Attitude
        • Ability To Cope Up With Stress
        • 1)communication
        have an honest and smart attitude.

• Quantitative Aptitude By RS Agarwal,
        • amcat,
        work on ur communication skillsm it is very very important and keep ur basics clear

Crisil graduate trainee interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Graduate Trainee role at Crisil
        Test Interview

They asked questions on the resume. Prepare well on your resume. Screening test was half finance and half English/Maths. I didn't prepare much. Prepared one day before the interview.
          CG doesn't matter much. But, if it is low, they would expect to be good at one of the two things. If you have taken management, then study Marketing Management and Financial Accounting properly. One guy was asked only marketing basics, i.e, Principles and various term. He also made it.

2 rounds of interview - 1. Finance 2. Marketing
            We were randomly given first round from the above. Finance was core Finance- reading Financial statement and analysing it, general view of current situation of the Economy. Finance terms. I cupped badly but I think I made an impact by showing that I did not know what terms were important and give a rough idea. Spoke a lot and freely.

Marketing - Involved only marketing based questions. They will see how well you can speak. In my case I was asked to sell any place. I spoke for around 10 minutes and gave many ideas with examples supporting them.
            They asked questions on the resume. Prepare well on your resume. Screening test was half finance and half English/Maths. If you have fundamentals, they won't see minor, though they will prefer if you have one.

For core, if you have fundamentals they won't see minor, though they will prefer if you have one.One person was preparing for CFA, he asked tougher questions. He answered a few well and made it.If you are really desperate for a job, then show them that. Let them know you won't leave it soon.