GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee )

GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) Interview Questions and Tips

ITC get ( graduate engineer trainee ) interview

, 16.1k views
Rishav ChandFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) role at ITC
Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview Behavioural Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Ability
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 3: Verbal Ability (English)
The first round was a pen and paper-based test. There were no specific problems that bothered me in the written test. I found the questions to be fairly decent and somewhat challenging. The questions in the 'quantitative ability' section were a bit on the tougher side, while the 'logical reasoning' and 'verbal ability' questions were quite easy. However, some questions were phrased slightly ambiguously and led to some confusion during the test.
For getting through the written aptitude tests, be sure to practice a lot of questions of different kinds and within a certain time limit. The earlier you start, the better it is. Calculation speeds matter a lot in this regard. Personally, I had just solved 15-20 questions in total, each question of a different kind, before the written test. You need to assess your specific strengths and strike the right balance between speed and accuracy.

I didn't resort to any elaborate preparation to get through the GD round. To start off, I was a bit nervous about this particular round. So, I focused on speaking at least twice during the GD round and concentrated on accumulating the views of other people and then putting forth my opinion. I avoided getting into a direct conflict with any of my group members and tried putting my point across while maintaining the harmony of the group. In the end, a majority of my group got selected for the subsequent rounds.
For the GD rounds, try to be in touch with day-to-day matters and have a basic idea about how different topics are shaping up all around the world. Focus on making valid and reasonable points in the GD and don't just blabber for the sake of speaking. Try to be a part of the group and the solution making process. The groups that have better understanding and consistency in the GD rounds are more likely to experience less eliminations.

The third and fourth rounds were personal interviews (PI) and both were elimination rounds. These rounds consisted of both technical and HR questions. For the HR questions, I ploughed ITC's official website and gathered information related to the work that they do and determined how my interests and abilities best suited their purpose. I focused on giving clear answers and avoided inconsistencies and confusions. The HR questions were quite straightforward and the interviewers were very friendly. I was asked about my hobbies and the co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that I was involved in. They also sought to know if I had been involved in any leadership positions before and how I had managed my team. Lastly, they wanted to know my motivation behind applying for the company and asked me what role I wanted to take up if I was selected for the job.
For the HR interview, try to have a clear idea as to why you are applying for the given company and avoid inconsistencies in your statements. Make a rough sketch about the person you are, including your strengths and weaknesses and be presentable. In fewer words, stay simple and know yourself.

The third and fourth rounds were personal interviews (PI) and both were elimination rounds. These rounds consisted of both technical and HR questions. For countering the technical questions, I went through the major subjects and focused on the concepts that were most likely to be asked in an interview. I had done two summer research internships in my second year and third year (one in IIT Kharagpur and another in IIT-BHU). So, I went through the details of the work that I had done during those two internships and prepared myself for possible questions in that regard. I did a similar kind of preparation regarding the projects that I had been a part of within the institute. I was asked very detailed questions related to my internships and my other project works. They wanted to determine whether I was aware of the practical applications and the minute details of the projects that I had worked on. Apart from that, I was asked numerous technical questions related to 'Mass Transfer', 'Heat Transfer', 'Thermodynamics', 'Nanotechnology', etc. Overall, the technical interviews were quite extensive and rigorous.
Emphasize on conceptual clarity and applications rather than memorizing definitions or formulae. Go through the topics you have worked on during your internships and institute-level projects and have a thorough idea about the theory behind them and their importance and applicability on an industrial scale. Also, try to identify the core subjects that you are strong in and prepare accordingly, because they may ask you to select a subject of your choice and you would be asked the majority of questions from that part.

Behavioural Interview

This was the fifth and the final round of the overall process and consisted of a 'Skype' interview with two Chief Technical Officers (CTOs) of ITC-PCPB. This was a 15-20 minutes long affair and was basically a 'fit interview'. However, this also turned out to be an elimination round and only two out of four candidates were eventually selected. I was asked a variety of questions related to my daily life and the points that I had mentioned in my CV. I was also asked what my expectations were if I was selected for the job and where I see myself 4-5 years down the line after I join the company. Their reactions didn't seem very assuring or pleasing and I was quite apprehensive; however, things eventually went my way!
Be confident and know how to defend yourself without being aggressive or rude. You will be put under stress during the interview and the interviewers would try to get under your skin and seem to disagree with you on many points. Therefore, try to stay calm and stick to your point regardless of their disagreements. However, take care not to be rude or go overboard with your body language. Basically, your stress-handling capacity and your response under such situations are evaluated.

• Behavioural Skills
  • Group Discussion Skills
  • Verbal Ability
  • Logical Reasoning
  • Quantitative Aptitude
Think clearly and present your views confidently and efficiently. Improve your communication skills and your technical knowledge, because the latter matters a lot. Lastly, try to convince the interviewers about your leadership skills and your ability to manage a team, while being under stress. In a nutshell, have a very clear idea about what you are getting into and try to show your best side and highlight your strengths.

• Mass Transfer - BK Dutta,
  • Smith And Van Ness Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics,
  • Unit Operations Of Chemical Engineering - McCabe And Smith,
  • Verbal And Non-Verbal Reasoning By R.S. Agarwal,
  • Quantitative Aptitude By R.S Agarwal,
Assess yourself and determine which sector your abilities are best suited for and what kind of a job you would be interested in and satisfied with. Thereafter, try to gather as much information as possible about the sector that you would be opting for, including the job profiles and growth opportunities that are available. On the day of company visit, dress up crisply and look smart. Also, try to maintain a smiling face throughout and look energetic; no interviewer wants to see drooping shoulders and slacking expressions.
ITC is a pretty well-known brand and has been in existence for over a century now. Moreover, it's a core company and fits well with my interests. I am interested in doing research in an industrial environment and I am hopeful of getting a chance to work in the R&D division of the company in the future. To top it off, the compensation is pretty good too! Hence, ITC seemed to be the perfect option for me.

Jindal Steel and Power get interview

, 11.3k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for GET role at Jindal Steel and Power
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR INTERVIEW

The resume is more than just mere personal information form – it should give a complete picture about the candidate since it is the first impression the interviewer gets about you.I wanted to get recruited in a core sector company. I wanted to work in a company related to power sector consequently I designed my resume accordingly.
Useful tip: Do not lie. In case if you fail to respond to questions asked from the points that you mentioned in your resume you might squander your chances of getting recruited to the company. Hence be truthful when you mention anything in your resume, at the same time be concise and precise because the interviewer cannot spend a lot of time on a single resume.

First I contacted some of my seniors who were working with the company. It is from them that I learnt that a lot of questions from power system protection are asked in the written test. In general if you search the internet about the type of questions asked in these tests you might get some awry information. The main reason being that the same company might turn up in different colleges with different profiles consequently the questions asked in their tests might vary from college to college; hence in order to avoid such discrepancy it is always suggested to consult some of the seniors.The company conducted a technical written test. The questions were majorly from control systems and further from PID (Proportional Integral Differential) control systems. There were also some basic electrostatic questions. Few questions were also asked from power and machining, though we were expecting a higher proportion of power related questions. The company had come to the campus to recruit for their steel unit and power unit, consequently knowledge on control system and power was a must.The test was an objective online test – but it was not an elimination test.
Useful Tip: A candidate appearing for this company’s written test should have good level of knowledge in control systems and power.

Group Discussion:I along with my friends practised for the GD. We would conduct the mock GD amongst ourselves.The GD topic that was allotted to my group during the GD round was FDI in retail. The topics allotted to other groups were on cricket and the ongoing (at that time) Anna Hazare movement. The GD was again not an elimination round.

The first interview was conducted by an alumnus of our institute. He began by asking me for a brief introduction. He wanted a brief reply. Then he enquired about my 3rd year internships. I had done my internship as a project manager in L&T power. The work that I did there was based on how an idea or a concept is translated into reality. He asked me to explain the kind of work that I did there and why I chose that internship. He also asked me to explain the SLD of a power plant. SLD stands for a single line diagram and is drawn for study of huge power plants and refineries. An SLD is analogous to the electronic diagrams drawn to study electronic circuits. He was surprised at how much I managed to learn from the internship that lasted for duration of only two months. I replied that the underlying principle behind whatever I learnt there was the concept of “relaying” which I was quite proficient in.Next he started asking me questions that I had not anticipated. He asked me to explain the differences that I thought existed between the kinds of work that I did in L&T and the work I would be expected to do in Jindal steel. I replied to it by explaining the differences in the kind of business the two companies did.He enquired whether I had questions to ask.
Generally people tend to ask some crappy questions like ‘What is the growth of the company?’ and the likes, but i earnestly suggest that if you have attended the PPT then ask some questions from the points mentioned during the PPT which showcases your attentiveness as well as genuine interest in the company’s work. During the PPT I had learnt that the PLF (Plant Load Factor) of the company is very high I asked him to explain me the reason for this this; also the company had a huge ongoing project in Orissa I asked him about the future plans of the company in Orissa and the problems that the company is facing with respect to the development of a current project. I asked these questions to show him my level of interest in the company and also that i was attentive during the PPT.Then he moved over to my 2nd year projects. I did my 2nd year internship in NDPL (North Delhi Power Limited). He asked me to explain the kind of work I did in this internship. Power companies are generally involved in one of the 3 businesses: generation, transmission or distribution. NDPL is involved in distribution of power. I told him that the project i worked on was minimization of harmonics in distribution system. He asked me explain the reason for these harmonics in the distribution system which is a major headache in such companies. I told him that the non-linear loads like the refrigerators and air conditioners were the major cause of such harmonics.
Next i told him the measures that were adopted by NDPL for control of harmonics.He then moved over to the minor project that i did. The project was a simple one and this aroused his amazement. I explained that the project was allotted only 2 credits and also told him that through the project i learnt the usage and properties of various components like capacitors, resistors and the likes. He was convinced with my reply.Important Tip: I would recommend that one should do a thorough research on the kind of business of the company in which one did his internship in or is applying for a job because it is very essential to know the place where one did his internship in and where one is going to go to.

HR INTERVIEW

This interview was supposed to be an HR interview but the interviewer eventually drifted over to technical aspects. He guessed that since I had done all my internships in the past in power sectors my area of interest would be power and also since the company had very little to do in power sector and more in the mining sector I would have to go a through a new beginning all together.
I explained him that the internship I did was not about power generation or distribution, but was about protection and relaying; I told him I did the work that a maintenance engineer would do. He was convinced that the power industries do indeed possess a wider scope.
He asked me about my birth place and also enquired about my family background.He then asked me to explain my major project. I told him that we were supposed to do our major project in the next semester. However, I still gave him a brief idea about my major project. I told him about the future prospects about my project and also the kind of difficulties that I was likely to face. He asked me some basic questions pertaining to the project which I managed to answer quite easily.I had also mentioned photography as my area of interest. He asked me to explain the specifications of the camera used in the photography section in the hobbies club.
He lastly asked me to specify that if given an option to work either in a well-established company or in a growing company where work would be more but incentives would be less then where would I prefer to work. I replied that I would be prefer working in a growing company like Jindal steel because that would enable me to learn more and also deal with newer technologies because in established companies still obsolete technologies are used.Any Specific Preparation:I had prepared for some HR questions like:Tell me about yourself.
What are your strengths and weaknesses?
What are your goals?I managed to find these questions from some websites.
I would suggest that one should never refer any website for framing answers to HR questions. You have to speak about yourself only and frame your answers after giving a detailed thought to your abilities/strengths/goals etc. Also it might prove to be beneficial to consult some seniors who has been working in the same company or has some experience with HR interviews.

It would be beneficial to contact your seniors because they would give a good insight about the recruitment process of the company.Don't get intimidated by Training Experince . Woh to Bas asiehi . At the End of the day knowledge matterssmile emoticon. BEST OF LUCK !!!

Maruti Suzuki get ( graduate engineer trainee ) interview

, 18.5k views
    Ankit RajFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Silchar for GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) role at Maruti Suzuki
    Test Presentation Round Technical Interview

80 minutes Minutes
    • Section 1: Technical Section
    • Section 2: Aptitude ( General + Verbal + Reasoning)
    • Section 3: Psychometric Test
    All the questions were multi choice question. In technical sections there were 20 questions to solve in 30 minutes. Questions were mainly asked from core mechanical engineering. Questions were mainly asked from the thermodynamics , fluid mechanics, machine design , strength of material . very Few questions were asked from automobile engineering and manufacturing process. If your fundamental concepts are clear , this section is pretty easy . The students preparing for GATE will have an edge in this sections. This section is scoring and time is sufficient.
    In aptitude section , you need to be little fast , otherwise you may miss some questions. Questions were of basic level. In Psychometric sections there were 50 questions in 20 minutes which were mostly designed to evaluate your behavior , personality , your attitude.
    There were separate time allotted for each sections. However within the sections you were allowed to move.
    For technical section focus on basics. Start prepare for this section , quite early as it will help a lot. Also there were some definitions and had to choose the exact property. For verbal aptitude , focus on vocabulary. For Psychometric section , you need to be really honest . Just true to yourself, don' fake , because you will not have enough time for that. Try to get your self noticed during pre placement talk. Maruti gives one of the best pre-placement talk. Ask some questions about company , its future or any thing specific in your mind. However don't ask absurd questions. My question was-
    - After Volkswagen emission scandal ,How do you see the future of diesel cars in India, specially with respect to maruti?

Presentation Round

For me this was the main deciding factor . You are given around 5-10 minute time for ppt. You have to explain why you chose technical career, why maruti suzuki , preferred clusters , your projects , achievements, extra curricular activities , hobbies etc. I prepared a lot for this section . They ask short questions about your ppt ( projects and anything they like or don't like ) during and after ppt, so be prepared for it. The questions they asked me was like:-
    -How do you know that (some information) about company , I told them , for the last two and half months I was researching on company.
    - Any other company , For which I have appeared for placement.
    - Where do I want to see myself in next 5 years?
    - What is booster jet engine?
    - Do you have any specific plans , which I want to apply in maruti.? I told them about booster jet engine , which was designed by suzuki . I told them that I want to work towards the designing of aluminum alloy car body for maruti . They asked had any other company have done it . I tole them about Jaguar , Aston Martin and ford.
    Research as much as possible about the company , its products , its culture , its core value , its policy . This will help a lot . Try to keep your presentation short and concise . Don't bore them . Highlight your projects and achievement well. If you have done summer intern at maruti , it will help a lot ( My friend's case) .
    This is the main round for selection , after that interview is mostly a cakewalk. So use your energy for this round. Try to leave some good impression during ppt.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Mostly related to projects and courses.
    • Question 2: What is the difficulties in welding of aluminium.
    • Question 3: Properties of cast iron , mild steel , alloy steel
    • Question 4: Use of different alloying elements in steel.
    • Question 5: Use of different types of steel , cast iron
    • Question 6: Classification of welding
    • Question 7: My experience during my internship at Indira gandhi centre for atomic research & IIT madras.
    • Question 8: Why cast iron absorb vibrations
    • Question 9: Stiffness, How it is measured , its unit
    Questions were mostly asked from my summer projects , so learn everything about them . They went deep in summer projects. However with some of my friends , they didn't asked questions from projects. I also had done some extra courses about joining of materials , failure of materials , Catia , pro e . They asked questions about them. However with many of my friends , they asked mostly from automobile engineering , trusses , refrigeration , manufacturing processes , engineering graphics and so on.
    Prepare for maruti wll ahead for 2-3 months, Specially for the technical section. Give your best , leave rest on ALMIGHTY.

• Project And Internship
    • Thermodynamics
    • Mechanical Behavior Of Materials
    • Reasoning Power And Aptitude
    • Technical Skill
    • 1)communication

• any recommended book for preparation of technical sections and intervieq,
    • Any Aptitude And Reasoning Book,
    • Foundation Course In CATIA,
    • Failure analysis of engineering materials,
    • Joining of material,
    Start Preparing for aptitude and technical sections during 3rd year itself. Also build up your communication and speaking skills. Do your summer projects with honesty and be clear about them.
    Maruti is a dream company for any automobile engineer. It offers great salary package and benefits . It is India's largest car manufacturer . Now its parent company Suzuki is betting big on maruti for development, its R&D , labs , new models etc. It is a great place to work.
    During my ppt , I told them, I have done extra course on joining of material . I told today every thing can be joined , except a broken heart. Then they asked about my

Tech Mahindra get ( graduate engineer trainee ) interview

, 15.2k views
    Radhika PhatkeFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at JNEC Aurangabad for GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) role at Tech Mahindra
    Test Essay Round Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: English skills
    • Section 2: Logical reasoning
    • Section 3: Quantitative aptitude
    • Section 4: Verbal reasoning
    The number of questions are way too much to be solved in the given time. I dont exactly remember the number, but it was brain exhausting. Some are very doable and some need a alert mind. The result is immediately displayed after the test is over.

Only 18 people could qualify the aptitude test.
    Try completing all the questions since there is no negative marking and you have the probability of scoring more.
    They dont have a total cut off, rather Tech-M has sectional cut off system, so in each section you got to be doing well.
    One has to be very attentive to all the questions and answer to the best of your ability. Also time managment needs to be taken care of inorder to complete the test.

Essay Round

After the aptitude test is qualified , you immediately receive greetings on screen and you are asked to step forward for the next round. In this a topic is given on the spot and you are expected to write an essay within 10 minutes in not more than 1200 words.
    Out of 18, 15 students got selected after this essay round.
    One needs to be a creative thinker and that too a fast one, you ought to decide the starting of the essay, its main body and the concluding phrase. start writing fast on a sharp and attentive mind. Try not to commit spelling mistakes since the essay is also software checked.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why do you want to join TECH-M?
    • Question 2: Did you do any projects in your engineering tenure and what were their purposes?
    • Question 3: How can the project be modified?
    • Question 4: Explain the LED logic?
    • Question 5: Are you flexible with the location and job timings?
    • Question 6: Did you visit the TECH-M website and what did you find is most catchy about it?
    • Question 7: Are there any limitations for a sector that we would be alloting to you?
    They always have a question ready as soon as you are done with answering the previous one. I njoyed it and realised that i was actually good at technical knowledge which i thought the other way.
    The interview was most about the second year project (may be they had a pre=knowledge about it), they put up certain condition and ask you to deliver the necessary modifications required in your project to satisfy the condition.
    Out of 15, 4 got eliminated in the technical round.
    U need to be confident and contended. you cannot hit around the bush, if you dont know any answer say it straight. go prepared with your project knowledge in and out... concepts that follow it, its modification possibilities, purpose of choosing it, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why TECH-M?
    • Question 2: what is the difference between centripital and centrifugal force?
    • Question 3: which was your favourite subject in 11th and 12th?
    • Question 4: what is vernier caliper?
    • Question 5: what are the laws of motion?
    • Question 6: whatever we learn, if we forget it then it is waste according to me what is your take on this?
    • Question 7: Are you ready to relocate?
    The HR interview is supposed to be casual interview, but nothing is easy when its TECH-M. They asked any question out of blue. I still njoyed itfor i knew i spoke what i felt and we debated and discussed on certain topics. I took it more as a discussion about revealing my thoughts rather than as an interview, but in a formal sense.
    You be smart and intellegent at the approximate answers that you will be delivering. U must not make self contradictory statements, stick to what you believ and speak the same. Confidence is a vital point again!
    ALL THE BEST!!!

• Ability To Think Of Creative Solutions
    • Technical Skill And Speaking Skill
    • Confidence
    • Writing Skills
    • Alertness
    • Intelligence
    Strong english communication writing as well as verbal is of utmost importance.<br /> Your ability to react to certain situations is what tested in the interviews.<br /> Be contended and confident. Prepare well. use apps for aptitude test prep.
    Time management and damn awesome linguistic skills need to be accomplished.<br />
    Be confident and true while the interview process.
    It is an multinational company having its chambers along the longitudes and latitudes of the globe. It is one of the top 5 leading It solution companies and have various technical and non-technical sectors under its umbrella. There is a lot of scope of development since you get the projects at a faster rate.
    the qs in the HR intrview that occured was that the interviewer said he was good in physics learnt and spent a lot of time in his 11th and 12th while learning it but now he does not remember any of it. So according to him it was waste if you learn something and dont remember later.<br />
    whereas my take was that, when you try to understand and learn a thing you use your brain, so there is certain kind of transformations in the brain in a progressive manner. so even if we forget the learnt part, the brain is trained in someway. like when we do maths, we might not remember formulas or theory but the brain is trained to manipulate in some way.<br />
    <br />
    this debate went for quite a while in a comic way, since the interviewer said he found it amusing the way i said it transforms and all :)

Tega Industries get ( graduate engineer trainee ) interview

, 5.6k views
    AMOL JAINFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Dhanbad for GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) role at Tega Industries
    Test Group Discussion Test Technical Interview HR Interview Behavioural Interview Other Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test (25 Question 25 Minutes)
    • Section 2: Technical (25 Questions 35 Minutes)
    The aptitude section was quite easy but lengthy in general. The questions required a presence of mind to solve them quickly. Whereas technical portion was directly from the course asking about simple components, its process and definitions. The questions were linked throughout the question paper. So watch-out for finding answers in question paper itself.
    Keep your speed up from the start, else you will miss some questions.
    Get strong hold of technical knowledge as there is nothing you can think about, at that instant.

Brain Drain
    For who doesn't know the meaning of brain drain please google it. Its a phrase. DON'T think in its literally sense.
    The experience was fine. The HR did not interrupt a single time and allowed students to do as they wished, observing carefully about your moves and actions and how you control the GD. They will be basically checking your communication skills and leadership qualities apart from obviously communication skills.
    Try not to start to a GD if you don't know the exact meaning of the topic. Wait for others to speak up and follow their lead. But if you know the meaning, fire away. Keep you voice levels constant yet authoritative.

• Section 1: Engineering Drawing (only for Mechanical Engineering and Mining Machinery Engineering Students)
    It consisted of a single question. We were provided the isometric view and were supposed to draw the orthogonal projection of the same on an A4 sheet. Carry your ED Box to facilitate the process.
    Start practicing free hand ED, as A4 doesnt provide much support and drafters cannot be placed. Just had to use pencil, scale and a compass.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself in under 2 minutes.
    • Question 2: What are your favorite subjects?
    • Question 3: What is your course structure?
    The main topics that were covered in the interview were belt conveyor, crushers, grinding mills, and pumps.
    The interviewer was quite friendly, and even explained the questions that were answered wrong or incomplete. He wanted to check the knowledge of the subject and also the interest with which you are seeking answers to them. Try to visit the site and thoroughly go through the contents and remember it. It shows the interest you have in the company and definitely is a plus point.
    Keep your cool and try to answer to the best of your knowledge. You wont be able to answer questions you don't know answers to. So just be yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why Tega industries?
    • Question 2: What is the aim of your life?
    • Question 3: What was the life changing experience for you?
    • Question 4: What do you hope to achieve in your life through Tega?
    It was a typical HR interview go get to know your thought process and philosophy of life. The questions that followed were in relevance to your answers. The interview was conducted with a sole purpose of knowing you as a person and the ideologies that you carry.
    Try to stick to your own ideologies and formulate answers of your own. A ton of cross-questions were followed with each answer to crack you, if you are trying to copying answers of someone else. Just try to show your own personality and focus on who you are.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Expain your branch.
    • Question 2: Why do you want to join Tega?
    The interview was conducted by the deputy manager of Tega Industrues in Kolkata.
    He wanted to know the short listed candidates better in person and not just as a sheet of paper. But make no misconceptions. It is an elimination round.
    The main purpose of this interview was to check your quick thinking and firmness in your own behavior and ideologies. The questions were basically as that of HR with a little more depth and judgments.
    Just be cool. You have already been selected. Carry your attitude as a professional.

Other Interview

This was a bonus interview round for us. A panel member couldnt come for on-campus placements and hence took an extra interview.
    The interviewer was a mine of knowledge with a experience of 40 years.
    The interview was basically focused on your knowledge and life philosophies, His main interest was in Thermodynamics. I tried to avoid the topic and was successful. Many weren't. So get a good hold of thermodynamics, specially cooling tower is his favorite.
    Try to be as precise as possible, and wait for his question to end before answering it. He may not like being interrupted.

• Technical Skill
    • Leadership Skills
    Don't try to someone you are not. You will be caught in the long recruitment process.
    Its a manufacturing company and the experience of first 2 years in this company raises your market value by many fold. So if you want to actually learn in the industry. Go for it.

Wind World India get interview

, 8.3k views
    Subodh GuptaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at KIIT University for GET role at Wind World India
    Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Technical Round ( offline test)
    This round is quite easy and requires a basic knowledge of core subjects, aptitude and little bit of English. what i studied in my whole b.tech career, everything was used that day. my subject paper was mechanical so it was quite easy for me to solve all these question in 40 minutes. multiple objective questions were there. any one having some basic knowledge can solve these questions very easily. from 450 students approx 160 students were selected for the next round that was group discussion. according to my experience those who scored more than 35 marks were selected for the further process.
    Have a basic knowledge in strength of materials, ic engine, theory of machines, metallergy, mechanics, mathemetics, machine design, aptitude, english and the most important thing is confidence & faith upon you. during the test solve questions by your own mind capability and think always that you are right. this is the thing we have to develop inside us and cant be exchanged with others :) so have patience, confidence & faith on your capability. :)

Should Books be replaced by I-pad or Electronic gadgets in schools or colleges?
    this round was quite competitive. 15 students were there in each panel and 2 judges were there to judge us. we got 2 minutes to think on topic.this topic was familiar to everyone and one of my friend started to sharing his point with the panel. i was at 2nd position to start the conversation and i was in favour of the topic. i have placed my point for approx 2 minutes and then one of friend has interfared me so i stopped. then the discussion was held about 15 minutes and everyone has got the chance to speak. 8 peoples are in favour and 8 are against. but this round was quite interesting and i enjoyed it and selected for the next round. approx 80 peoples were qualified this round from all core branches.
    Have a good listening capability and don't argue with the panelist. make your eye contact with your friends not with the judges. Be at your point don't change your points from favour to against whether your point is correct or not just stick with your opinion. never try to control all your friends by saying that "listen to me" "hey guyzz" and all these things because we are not the leaders ;) it is not necessary to conclude it doesn't matters more.

lastly keep calm, patience, and look energetic. :) have faith that you are the best from all of them. every thing will be good.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: question from all subjects.
    • Question 2: iron carbon diagram, TTT curve.
    • Question 3: stress-strain curve, SFD, BMD, beams, columns, shear diagram.
    • Question 4: bearing design, specification, diagram of bearing, bearing consideration, load specilization, materials for bearing.
    • Question 5: ic engine diagram, 2-stroke, 4-stroke, performance, carburization, supercharging etc
    • Question 6: mechanics, 12th standered maths,
    • Question 7: laws of thermodynamics, thermal engineering, power plant engineering.
    • Question 8: gears, types of gears with diagram, tooth profile, instantaneous center
    • Question 9: what is machines, higher pair, lower pair, kinematic chain, conversion of chains/
    • Question 10: all types of cycle used in thermodynamics and power plant, rankine cycle derivation.
    • Question 11: and all subject were covered in this round.
    this round was very tough. my technical interview duration was 90 minutes ( 1.30 hours). all of the subject were covered in this round. this round was quite hectic and requires a thorough knowledge of domains. only 30 of them were selected for the HR interview.
    Have patience and a good commands in your domain subject. go through the handbook for mechanical engineering by made easy. it will be very useful in that time. :)

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
    • Question 2: again a short technical round was there so be prepare.
    • Question 3: how are you feeling because you are in last round.?
    • Question 4: Are youphysically fit?
    • Question 5: Are you ready to work with us?
    • Question 6: what is your expectation with us?
    • Question 7: where you want to see your self in five years?
    this round lasts approx in 60 minutes ( 1 hour) . they tested me technically, mentally & physically.they told me to make 50 push-ups in one time to cheak my physical fitness. they asked me about my family background. interviewer was very happy and told me that " you are the first one whom i am going to select" you will got your offer-letter and all the best" they also told me that we will meet our training institute in DAMAN & DIU.

this makes me feel happy and finally i was placed that day. :) i have a joining on 1st july in DAMAN. only 6 of us were selected from mechanical and 8 students from electrical and electronics.
    Patience will work in this stage and mental & physical fitness will work :) this is last round in wind world.

• Domain Knowledge,
    • aptitude
    • physical fitness
    • mental fitness
    • technical knowledge
    • english

• HandBook for mechanical engineering by made-easy,
    Patience, FAITH, Confidence
    interviewers were quite friendly. they offered me snacks during my interview :) on the day of interview they confirmed me that i am a "WIND ENGINEER" and i am placed :)

Vedanta Resources get ( graduate engineer trainee ) interview

, 4.8k views
    Aishwarya K MenonFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for GET ( Graduate Engineer Trainee ) role at Vedanta Resources in Dec, 2016
    Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical + HR Interview

Out of 99 B.Tech students who applied from CH,ME,EE,MM departments, around 60 were shortlisted for the GD
    I am not sure but I guess the criterion for shortlist was CG>7.5

GST-Readiness of industries
    Even before the GD began,we were asked if we knew what responsibilities the role entails and why we prefer to work in Vedanta.I had gone through their website ,so I mentioned that I believed in their chairman's vision of providing a career and not just a job to every employee and thus was excited and looking forward to my career ahead. Though this question wasn't a part of the GD,it gave a good impression to the GD panelists as they got to know that I had gone through their website in detail which indicated my interest in joining the firm.

Coming to the GD topic, I was surprised that none of my GD team mates knew what GST is. A few of them had a vague idea but knew nothing much.So,I took the step and started off the GD explaining them what GST is and Modi Govt.'s plan to go about introducing this.Then I went ahead into the topic and said we had to discuss the advantages and disadvantages that industries face due to this step taken by the Govt. A few of my team mates were quite interactive and most of them contributed.The GD was concluded within the given span of time.
    Regarding tips, I would say be thorough with the current affairs.When you read an article from the paper/magazine,make sure you form strong opinions on the same(either positive or negative).It will be disheartening for the GD panelists to see that a student from such an esteemed institute doesn't even have the slightest idea of what's happening within the country. Also,be sure you communicate your thoughts properly.Every core company you are sitting for will have a GD round.Only after you clear the GD will you be allowed to sit for the interview. Please don't be under the impression that only your CGPA/core knowledge will get you a very good core job. Communication skills and general awareness is the key.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: HR questions: 1.Tell me about yourself 2.Tell me about your family background 3.If there is one thing which you want to change in your past,what would that be? 4.What is one thing you want to change about yourself?
    • Question 2: Technical: 1.What did you do as an intern at Vizag Steel Plant? 2.What factors should we consider when designing a mill for cold rolling? 3.Name some ores from which copper can be extracted? 4.Write down the reactions for extraction of Copper from Copper pyrites? 5.What is the process difference between extraction of Cu and Fe from its ores? 6.Are there any emulsions used during hot rolling? If so,why? 7.How is the air:oxygen ratio used for heating in the reheating furnace decided?What are the factors considered? 8.What are the different fuel burners used in the reheating furnace? 9.How do we control the purity level of the final product obtained after rolling?
    I was calm and composed throughout the interview.I had four other interviews lined up in the day,so I thought not getting this company isn't a big deal.Maybe this made me perfom in the interview really well.My entire technical round was based on my internship at Vizag Steel Plant and certain questions based on Copper extraction.I did answer all the questions (except one where she had asked me to apply mass balance).However,I knew that the answers weren't to the point and perfect.But one thing you should remember is that you have been studying your specialisation for 4years.So,you will definitely recall more than the person sitting opposite to you who had done his/her specialisation in the same subject around 10-15 years back.The trick is to come off as confident in your answers and make them sound logical and convincing.Think out loud and explain your thought process to the interviewer.
    Be chill in the interview.This is possible if you have back up interviews for other companies.So give all your tests properly.Also,apply to all companies, atleast those in the first three days of placements .The more the number of companies you apply to, the higher the chances of getting placed within three days.Placements are pretty random,so it's highly possible that you may never end up with the company of your choice or your dream company and you may regret not applying to the other companies later.

For HR questions, use 64HR questions book for the questions but format your own answers related to your experiences so that they don't sound fake.
    Also,when the interviewer asks at the end of the interview if you have any questions please make sure that you ask sensible questions.DONT ask questions like what your responsibilities will be as a GET or the skills for the role as all this will be mentioned in the JD.Be more specific about your questions. And also,if you have gone through their website,make sure you add relevant points in that subtly in your answers like for example you can include why you want to join Vedanta in the question on tell me about yourself citing examples from their website.These tips mentioned are for any company.If you get the tricks right, any interview will be a cake walk.

• Core internship
    • Extractive Metallurgy

L&T get interview

, 35.4k views
    Harsh VardhanFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at MIT Manipal for GET role at L&T
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test
    • Section 2: English Test
    Aptitude test consists of a mix of all kinds of basis aptitude questions. English test consists of 57 questions containing a healthy mix of short comprehension, sentence formation, error in tenses, antonyms , synonyms etc to be answered in 20 min.
    For aptitude practice R S Aggarwal thoroughly. since in aptitude you have to answer 1 question every min so speed and precision is the key and that requires a lot of practice.  Wile practicing aptitude questions it is always helpful if you take help of a stop watch so that you can have a track of time you are consuming in solving a particular type of question and hence you can optimize on that for eg: you may require less time in solving questions related to a some topic and more time on other. Thus you will have an idea as to questions from which topic is to be attempted first and which has to be left for last. Your target should be to have more than 35 questions correct at all cost then you have a good chance of getting selected.
    For English i feel a regular reading of newspaper, novels and magazines is enough provided you are regular in that.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What do u mean by M20?
    • Question 2: What is the nominal mix of M20?
    • Question 3: How do u measure the workability of concrete?
    • Question 4: Explain briefly the procedure for the above methods.?
    • Question 5: Which method would you use in site? What are its demerits?
    • Question 6: Tell me something about placing of concrete?
    • Question 7: Have you heard about slip form technique?
    • Question 8: What is chuting of concrete?
    • Question 9: As an engineer when will you go for chuting and is it a good method of concrete pouring?
    • Question 10: What are the factores affecting the strength of concrete?
    • Question 11: Have you heard about Boars compounds?
    • Question 12: Name the compounds and state their importance.
    • Question 13: How many different types of slabs are there? Explain each.
    • Question 14: What is the difference between 1way slab and 2 way slab?
    • Question 15: Identify which type of slab is above our heads?
    • Question 16: When to use 1 way and 2 way slab?
    • Question 17: In slab above our head where is the shear force and bending moment maximum?
    • Question 18: Where is the reinforcement provided for shear and bending ?
    Really grilling interview considering the no of questions asked but at the same time  it was a good experience. They ask question from your area of interest eg; Building science , Structural design and analysis, Geotec, water resources and transportation.
    You should be very good in atleast 3 of the above subjects. Read some technical journals as well helps if you quote some research related to the topic.Give a good brief but complete answer and if u don't know say that.If you are unable to remember answer for a particular question you can ask for some time to think n that will be givenThe interviewer will at times add a practical angle to a question n if you hit a six here you have good chance of  success. Remember you have to be well prepared to answer these question so be well prepared. With Lord Sai's grace may u succeed.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me something abt yourself.
    • Question 2: Why did you select civil?
    • Question 3: In our organization which department would you like to work in?
    • Question 4: Why are you interested in these subjects( your area of interest)..?
    • Question 5: Do you have any higher educations plans? If
    • Question 6: Where do u see yourself after 5 years?
    • Question 7: You know civil engg..buildis structures of social importance ....lots of social impact ..so whats your social footprint?
    • Question 8: Other than your CV ..what kind of person you are ? What has been your biggest achievements?
    • Question 9: Do you play any sports ?
    1) Communication skills2) Technical knowledge3) Value match and organizational fit.4) Ability to apply technical knowledge to real life problems.These are the 4 pillars on which your entire interview process stands. Keep these things in mind when u give an answer.And you have lot of material available online for Hr interview go through that.

• Organisation Fit
    • Communication Skill
    • Technical knowledge
    • Ability to apply technical knowledge to real life problems

• Concrete Technology by M S Shetty,
    • Structural Design by HJ shah...N krishna raju.....bhavikatti,
    • structural analysis by C S reddy ,
    • Bhavikatti,
    • Soil Mechanics by B C Punmia,
    • General aptitude by R S aggarwal,
    • Transportation engineering by khanna and justo,
    • THE HINDU Newspaper every day,
    Already given .
    Larsen & Toubro is a major technology, engineering, construction, manufacturing and financial services conglomerate, with global operations. L&T addresses critical needs in key sectors - Hydrocarbon, Infrastructure, Power, Process Industries and Defense - for customers in over 30 countries around the world.L&T is engaged in core, high impact sectors of the economy and our integrated capabilities span the entire spectrum of ‘design to deliver’.Every aspect of L&T's businesses is characterised by professionalism and high standards of corporate governance. The Company’s manufacturing footprint extends across eight countries in addition to India. L&T has several international offices and a supply chain that extends around the globe.

Hero MotoCorp get interview

, 16.7k views
    Malay Milan ChoudhuryFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Rourkela for GET role at Hero MotoCorp
    Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

60+30 Minutes
    60+30 questions
    • Section 1: Aptitude (20 each from quantitative aptitude, verbal ability and analytical aptitude, 60 minutes)
    • Section 2: Technical (30 questions, 30 minutes); both the sections had individual cut offs
    I never felt very confident about the technical questions of the written round. But the assuring fact was no one did. And usually cut off of the technical section comes to are relatively lower mark which is achievable. So I focused more on the quantitative sections which this time bore 2/3rd of the total marks in the written test. Out of 30 technical questions you should be able to do at least 10.
    But one important round after written test, the “psychometric test” that is oftencalled a non-eliminative round, is actually a silent killer I felt. Psychometric test assertsthe personality of a student. And in my interview panel one panellist was speciallydedicated for this. He would not ask you any question but silently judge you throughoutthe interview and compare your behaviour with your psychometric test results. If theyfind the test results mismatching with how you portray yourself during the interview theywould simply dis-select you. So it is important to appear this seemingly unimportant and boring test very sincerely and honestly.

Should Cricket be our National Sports instead of Hockey?
    Almost all who appeared the written test were short listed for the GD round. Clarity of points, ability to direct the group, and fluency - these wee the key to clear the GD. Out of 10 people, 3 got shortlisted.
    In a small group, I along with few other friends of mine, were practicing GD in the hostel. We practiced in several hypothetical situations by virtually creating them in my room, for example speaking against your natural inclination towards speaking in favour of a topic or taking the job of moderating the GD trying to point out the flaws of the rest of the group in the end or making a shy person initiate the GD. And those sessions really helped us. In fact another friend who was also a part of our GD group, got placed in Hero MotoCorp as well.

Actually it was more of a combined Technical + HR interview. Interview mostly based on my internship experience. Literally they went on to ask about every tiny detail about my summer training experience at Maruti Suzuki. It included HR questions like how one should handle the workers, work schedule management, following of company ethics, deadline management etc. So take your internship very very seriously from day 1. IC engine is also an essential study for Hero MotoCorp. Since they ask you to bring your CV to the interview, one must spend some good time preparing his/her CV.
    Try to relate your co-curricular activities and involvement with the HR questions asked. Be honest, frank and confident. Contact students from other colleges who already got placed in the same company in the recent past and know about their interview experience. That comes handy at times.

• English Fluency
    • Communication skills
    • Body Language
    • Expressiveness
    • Leadership quality
    • Psychometric Test
    Apart from your technical skills and mathematical ability to clear the written round, all the above are also highly essential to clear the further rounds. And yes, your attentiveness in the pre-placement talk is also being taken into account. They ask some general questions in the end of the talk and try to answer one of them. It creates a good impression. Read a lot about the company; its history, its latest models, its inception, technologies it uses, founders etc.

• V. Ganeshan for IC Engines,
    • Any general book for MOS,
    • Primary Production Processes etc.,
    Videos
    • Engineering Explained videos,
    • automobile engineering videos from YouTube,
    My strongest points for the interview were my internship experiences at Maruti Suzuki, Gurgaon and Ingersoll Rand, Ahmedabad in 2nd and 3rd year summers respectively. I had used my training period in the best possible way to understand the technical as well as non-technical aspects of the functioning of their production segment. And to my surprise,the interviewers even went on asking questions like the practicalities of human resource management that I experienced during my training. Apart from that I ensured that I was thorough with at least two of core subjects, a sound knowledge of automobile engineering. For the HR interview I had prepared many typical HR questions with answers much prior to any interview I had faced.
    I would say, “Never do a training just for a certificate.” Take your internships very seriously. Learn as much as possible. What technical project you do during the training is important, of course. But what you learn and gain during that period has got its own significance. Don’t waste any summer. Do not let your CGPA fall below 7.5 under any circumstances. And from behavioral point of view, your body language, speaking ability, expressions are all very important. Prepare for them from now on. If you find excuses, as why a mechanical core company looks for these soft skills, just know that someone who does not will get that job. Make group discussions a habit. Stay updated with the current affairs. Read newspaper every day at least for 10-15 minutes and make notes of them. Make yourself employable from the targeted company’s perspective. Preparation needs smart studies. One just can’t go on reading every page of a book. And knowing exactly which areas to emphasize on, for which company, is a real challenge. And your perseverance will be your source of confidence during the interview. You have to deserve it.

Tata Motors get interview

, 23.1k views
    Chirag JainFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Jaipur for GET role at Tata Motors
    Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

• Section 1: English, Aptitude (Quantitative Analysis, Verbal ability)
    • Section 2: Technical questions
    There was one online written test divided into 4 sections- English, Aptitude (Quantitative Analysis, Verbal ability) & Technical questions.2 Hour test (15 English, 25 Quantitative Analysis, 35 Verbal ability, 25 Mechanical Engineering Questions). Questions were basic and simple.
    www.Indiabix.com is the best site to prepare for Companies written test.and for aptitude, you can prepare from RS Agrawal Book. Practice & Proper Time management is key to success in Written test.

“Are smartphones making us dumb?
    I think GD played a crucial role in my selection and gave me the upper hand over other candidates. We were 8 candidates in one group for GD. Before starting the actual group discussion HR asked us that “any one of you can stand up voluntarily and tell us about your college". Here I took the initiative and spoke about the MNIT (bit of history, about departments, about achievements of the college, about various technical and non-technical activities which was going on.) until HR stopped me.After that i started the Group discussion. I spoke 3 times in whole GD and concluded in the end as well.
    1. Try to take initiative and summarize the GD in the end as well.2. Speak confidently and politely 3. Listen curiously and showcase your leadership quality.4. Your thoughts should be loud and clear.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Have you done any technical Projects?
    • Question 2: what do you excite in Automobile industry?
    • Question 3: if I give 5 lacs rupees and ask you to buy a car which parameters you will look as a mechanical engineers?
    • Question 4: What is Turbocharger?
    • Question 5: Tell me about yourself & family background
    • Question 6: if we give you the “HR” profile will you accept it?
    As I was the Placement Coordinator also and was hosting their campus visit too, so i got an edge of it. In the interview first they asked me "Tell me about yourself & family background". Then they asked me "have you done any technical Projects?"
    I told them about SAE Efficycle. Then they asked me "what do you excite in Automobile industry?" I told them about Latest technology and SUVs. Then they asked about what are the latest technologies in Automobile industries. I told them about CRDI & VVT. Then they asked me if I give 5 lacs rupees and ask you to buy a car which parameters you will look as a mechanical engineers? Then they ask me about Turbocharger? Then they try to puzzle me. They ask me that if we give you the “HR” profile will you accept it? I said no. I told them according to my qualification, I fit to a technical profile and it also excites me. Here they were basically cross-checking me interest.
    1. Be aware about the latest technologies in Automobile.
    2. You should know basics of Automobile Engineering & IC Engine
    3. Be confident & genuine in interview , don’t just give abrupt answer, if you don’t know the answer then tell them that I don’t know the answer or I am not recalling it.4.ata Motors they haven't asked about summer training to me. But, most of the companies do strongly focus on summer training. So I would suggest you to do your summer training genuinely and learn as much as you can.

• Core subjects knowledge

• Automobile Engineering by RB Gupta,
    • IC Engines by Mathur & Sharma ,
    • Quantitative Aptitude by RS Agarwal,
    • Mechanical engineering Basics,
    Use your third year’s summer break to prepare for the placement processYou should have a strong technical background and must have your basics crystal clear.You should have good aptitude & communication skillsYou should have good enough answers for the universal questions like tell me about yourself, and others. Make sure you know everything you have written in your resume and follow the standard college format while making your resume.Make yourself thorough in at least one of the core subjects.Prepare your internship and projects thoroughly.Always maintain eye to eye contact with the recruiters. Be confident.Have thorough knowledge about respective companies i.e. technologies they are working on, because interview questions are generally asked on this.Dress properly for interview as HR notice etiquette.Try and have mock sessions for group discussions as well as interviews rather than just reading about it .It will definitely help you out.
    1. Tata Motors provides an open platform that enables free exchange of ideas, knowledge and aspirations on employees.2. Tata motors is largest indian automobile manufacturer.2.
    In the end, they try to puzzle me. They ask me that if we give you the “HR” profile will you accept it? I said no. I told them according to my qualification, I fit to a technical profile and it also excites me. then they try to confuse me on this point but i was able to justified me. Here they were basically cross-checking me interest.
    This is the alert