Financial Analyst

Financial Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

The Blackstone Group financial analyst interview

Raaz DwivediFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for FINANCIAL ANALYST role at The Blackstone Group
Resume Shortlist HR Interview

BS's shortlist was out during the endsem and was taken only by surprise by me as my profile showed no indication of any sort of connection to business world or finance.
A Good Resume is the one with a clear message in one glance. One usually doesn't have much time go through the specifics. Also, most of the resumes look more or less the same if you start reading thoroughly. So what distinguishes you is how much you can convey to a third person in one glance.However a crucial point that one needs to keep in mind is - The third person may be an IITian or may benot. So your resume needs to be optimally elaborate and detailed. Good at glance and not boring with details.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why Blackstone?
  • Question 2: Other shortlists? Blackstone vs the rest?
  • Question 3: Walk us through your resume
  • Question 4: Why the switch from tech to business?
  • Question 5: Any understanding of business?
  • Question 6: Discussion about Internship at Ivy Mobility.
  • Question 7: Take any sector and tell us how will you predict its growth? Whom will you approach for the relevant data?
  • Question 8: Your skills?
  • Question 9: Your expectations?
  • Question 10: Will you stay for four years with us?
  • Question 11: What do you want to do five years down the line?
  • Question 12: Family Background?
  • Question 13: AIR 10?
  • Question 14: High CPI?
  • Question 15: Motivation and skills?
  • Question 16: Why EE?
  • Question 17: Why Maths?
  • Question 18: Why Business? Some related questions
  • Question 19: Why no PhD?
  • Question 20: Expectations?
  • Question 21: Where do I see myself 5 years down the line?
  • Question 22: Why not politics?(Probably even Civil Services, I am unable to recall!)
  • Question 23: Any case study that I have done in the preparation?
BeforeI forget, usually at the end of interviews, the interviewers ask you if youhave some questions about them, be prepared with some questions which can belike - what do you usually look for in a good candidate, what is the workculture at the company, the career path of the individual in the company orotherwise etc etc. You can google things, or you can be innovative. Innovationmight pay off very well or it may just kill your chances. But that's life -more risk, more reward.Andanother point, some of your interviews might be telephonic - in such cases,many more factors come into picture which might spoil the mood of theinterview ( I would let you to think about the possible glitches that you mighthave because of this technological advancement). But as usual, I would adviceyou to keep calm and just give your best.
There are many things that I would like to convey to the students regarding the placement process.On the preparation side, one must give his best - visit websites, read blogs, attend presentations and various related sessions, ask seniors who have been placed, talk to anyone who you think can provide some help. These practices will give you enormous data - and your job is to filter and use it wisely, at your own discretion. Read relevant material from books and internet, practice problems and tests, do mock interviews and GDs with your friends, prepare your resume well - in short – do what is to be done. Depending on job profiles that you target, the preparation keeps varying, ask around and work hard.

With that being said, I would like to say that placement is not simply about merit -independent of whether you appreciate this fact or not. Various companies value compatibility over the merit of the student (which is quite logical thing to do!) and sometimes you may under-qualify and sometimes over-qualify on those standards - and rarely will you be just at an optimal level. Consequently,many results(in fact most, to be even more precise all except one) will not go in your favour - either accept them or challenge them (if you think you have been denied of something that you truly deserve) but never lose your heart this is simply a welcome song to the real world. In the long run, this short and (most likely a difficult and) tough experience will prove to be one of the most memorable and a great learning experience.

In a nut shell

"Keep Calm and Give your Best! - Karm karte raho, fal ki chinta mat karo."

Futures First financial analyst interview

Raja SekharFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for FINANCIAL ANALYST role at Futures First
Test Trade moghul usly(online simulation of trading) Interview

• Section 1: 30 Questions of Analytical Aptitude
  • Section 2: 20 Questions Speed Maths
I did well in speed matth part but i felt I could have done better in analytical aptitude. They have questions like od man out in picture format which i didn't expect.
Practice speed math 1 day before. You can get some tests online (just google). There are cutoffs for each section, so dont neglect any section.
Ideal time - Speed math 5-7 min
aptitude 20-25 min

Trade moghul usly(online simulation of trading)

We were asked to take part in trade moghul, Company's trading competition for one week on a crude oil. I have started playing it as it is part of selection process but later i have enjoyed it and took part for almost 6-7 hrs a day.
Just enjoy making profit or loss. The values will be real time but money is not. So play for fun. They take it seriously. They dont mind if you make profit or loss. They jus want to check your patience.

Interview

I have had 4 rounds of interview. First one is rapid round. In this they will ask you questions very fast that you cannot settle and make up your mind and then answer. They ask even normal stuff like capitals of countries, Presidents of countries and some speed math which you have to answer instantly
2-4 rounds: These 3 rounds are stress rounds where they say you are useless and will not have a career if you join this company and they say you are not good at this and that and try to put you in pressure. In pressure they test how your mind works and how smart you think. For example they ask you to see around in room then change topic and ask you to close eyes and ask how many switches are there in room. They give you some situation and will test you how you behave in those conditions. We all know that no interviewer ,how bad the interview is ,will not say you are not good and will not say you will be a failure. So for all the words they say I was just saying to myself that they are just trying to make me feel the pressure and I have also started to enjoy with them. I would definitely say that this was my most enjoyed interview.
Just be yourself. Dont act and keep saying to yourself that they are just saying bad things to make you feel the pressure. Play trade moghul as it reflects your intrest in trading
Be cool. They are not here to test your english ability. They need people with good math skill and who works under pressure
Individual performance is directly proportional to the bonus you get.

Verity financial analyst interview

Santam BaulFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Warangal for Financial Analyst role at Verity
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

All people with cgpa over 7 was shortlisted.
Maintain a cgpa>7 :)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is quenching?
  • Question 2: How will you shape a brittle material?
  • Question 3: What is a lathe machine?
  • Question 4: Which is the most effective form of heat transfer?
  • Question 5: Which is a better fuel coal or petroleum?
  • Question 6: Charle's law, Boyle's Law, Bernoulli's Theorem etc.
They wanted to check if you knew your core subjects for some reason. They asked me around 30 very basic questions like these in less than 10 mins. Answer expected was to the point and concise
Prepare very basic questions. Main thing is confidence . Even if you are not entirely correct, don't stammer or say I want to change my answer, try to justify it smartly.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: What does your mom and dad do?
  • Question 3: Siblings?
  • Question 4: Your parents will not have any problem if you're working away from home?
  • Question 5: Why not CAT?
  • Question 6: If you could rewind to the first day at NITW, what would you have done differently?
These questions have no right or wrong answers. There's just good and bad answers.
Think twice before answering. "KISS-Keep it short & simple". They just wanted to check if you would last in the company and not wander off within the first few months. So keep a convincing tone in your answers.
Be cool as a cucumber. Brush up basics of your core engineering subjects and you'll slip by easily. Don't stammer and use sophisticated words to prove your point. All the best!

XL Dynamics financial analyst interview

Shubham ChaturvediFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Hindustan college of science and technology for Financial Analyst role at XL Dynamics
Test Case Study Interview Technical + HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
Questions were very easy and a person can crack this round very easily.
Don't be in a hurry, ample amount of time is there to solve the questions.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A case study related to US mortgage was given and related articles questions were there to be answered.
Case study was lengthy and it consisted of a reading comprehension from which we had to answer 20 questions.
Case study was the main round in which only few got selected and it was time consuming, so be fast enough to answer at least 90% questions.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Technical interview consisted of questions from the case study.
  • Question 2: Basic hr questions were asked like Why should we hire you?
  • Question 3: Being from engineering background, why do you want to shift from your core study?
  • Question 4: What upsets you the most?
Just be straight and simple in answering the questions. Don't try to be diplomatic.

Fortune Global financial analyst interview

Abhishek LoiwalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for FINANCIAL ANALYST role at Fortune Global
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview

Mathematics Courses, Statistics Courses and related projects. Also interest in finance is a plus point. Coding skills and computational software such as MATLAB is another plus point.

1 hour Minutes
Very challenging, almost impossible to get to answers of every question. They just check your approach. All questions were either based on statistics (regression for example) or algorithmic puzzles.

A combination of Technical as well as HR interview. Was asked to go through every technical point in my resume, and was asked a few question here and there
Be sure to know each thing in your resume well.

Also an interest in finance
1: Be Confident.

2: Keep Smiling.

3: Do not be Panic.

4: Remember they are here to hire you but not reject you.

5: Do not loose hope.

6: Believe at yourself.

7: Start preparing early.

8: Do demo interviews with your friend.
Every body joins a comapny for making a software or earning money. But I was always motivated to MAKE MONEY. I have taken this job because they have very extensive work in Share Market and they have lots of MBA from IIM's, Lots of CAs, CS. Thats why i have choosen Edelweiss. I have rejected epic System USA for this profile.

Goldman Sachs financial analyst internship interview

KarthikFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Financial Analyst role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Problem Statement Technical Interview

GS didn't shortlist based on resume. Nevertheless it's good to have a good one.
Do highlight the important ones and put legit points

GS questions
  • Section 1: Quantitative analysis
  • Section 2: Data analysis
  • Section 3: Computer science
The standard of the test was very good . it was a good experience
Probability has a heavy weightage among the topics covered

No gd fire GS

Problem Statement

GS just had tech interviews and it was rigorous.
It's important to be strong in concepts of probability and statistics.

Try taking the course offered in the institute.
Don't crack under pressure on the interview.
GS deals with complex mathematical model which is my prime area of interest.

Barclays Technology Centre India financial analyst internship interview

KannanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Financial Analyst role at Barclays Technology Centre India

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions from resume about computer science or IT related points
After the customary " Tell my about Yourself" and "Why Barclays?", I was asked about my previous internship ( which was in IT domain ) and an android game that I had made. I just explained both of them completely and gave the interviewer a demo of my game.
Having points in your resume (projects, internships etc.) that prove your coding aptitude definitely helps. Explain everything completely with full clarity along with all the steps you took, the things you learned and most importantly the difficulties faces and how you overcame them. ( I spoke for 15 to 20 mins straight)

You mostly wont be tested on coding if you have projects as a proof of your skill.
Speak confidently and be positive. Also shake your interviewer's hand.
Global exposure, best in terms of stipend and other facilities.
I had to run all the way back to my hostel mid interview as I wasn't having my game in my phone initially.

Nirmal Bang financial analyst internship interview

Sonali GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at ABES Engineering College for Financial Analyst role at Nirmal Bang
Group Discussion HR Interview HR Interview

About share

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is demate account
  • Question 2: What is share
  • Question 3: What is demate account

Ernst & Young financial analyst interview

ExperiencedSelected
Group Discussion Technical Interview Case Study Interview Stress Interview

Swach bharat
It was really nice. Learnt from others and also analysed the thinking of others on how they wish to do betterment for our nation.
In gd. Always be confident and speak. Don't try to prove your point in an aggressive manner but also try to stick to your point. Most importantly , listening skills must be build before you attend a gd.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: About finance and banking
They went through my resume and asked me on my financial skills.
Brush up your knowledge first before attending the technical round

Case Study Interview

Stress Interview

Stress interview was taken by hr head where he kept asking back to back questions. Few were related to finance and others were general. Gave me situations where in I have to decide the course of action to be taken.
Finish your point and be polite. Stress interview is to not only see your knowledge but also how you react or behave during the stress situation.

D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm financial analyst internship interview

ArjunFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Financial Analyst role at D. E. Shaw & Co. - Investment Firm
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Coding Test
Was quite easy
Just be familiar with the hackerrank interface and with the programming language you are planning to use

IOT prospective investments

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself?
  • Question 2: What are your weaknesses ?