Field Engineer

Field Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

, 10.8k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Field Engineer role at Schlumberger
Group Discussion Group Activity HR Interview

There will be an initial shortlist for GD. Its a simple GD, with probably 8-10 people and there will be 2 or 3 co-reps judging you. My topic was something like: Whether a consumer is the dominating force in the market (I don’t remember it exactly but basically you had to justify if consumer was the ultimate deciding factor in the market. It was simple.
Skills Reqd: General communication skills and some general knowledge to give examples for supporting your arguments. You should be able to function in a group under stressful conditions. Too much jargon? What I mean to say is that just stay calm and show some leadership in dividing work and prepare some answers together. Questions: While marketing your car you need to mention some salient features in agreement to you. Do’s: The general GD rules apply, sit straight, talk clearly, look pleased and pretend you’re enjoying the discussion! On a serious note, give others a chance to speak and try to “moderate” the discussion Don’ts: Don’t start babbling something without thinking, don’t be argumentative rather justify why you wouldn’t agree with some point. Your opening sentence should not be conclusive: I agree or disagree with this topic.

Group Activity

People shortlisted for Phase 2 were divided into groups of 5. In each set, 2 groups of people entered the interview room and were seated in opposite corners. It was a 1+1+10+5 minute round and they handed us a Mechanix play set with its manual. In the first minute, we had to choose a car design, in second min we had to decide among ourselves who will make which car parts. We had 10 mins to complete the design and then we had to market our car to the other group in the remaining 5 minutes. They were allowed to ask questions on our designs and express their opinions about our answers.
Do’s: Its important to be heard by the interviewer hence make valid points through out the activity. Be nice to your team members, decide on certain points which you are going to talk about with your team, try to help out those who are fitting in the parts if you are done with yours. Try to remember your role and stay calm - You are not designing an Audi! Don’ts: Don’t argue with your team mates when the interviewer questions your group and you don’t agree with the answer of one of your team members. Don’t be aggressive but make sure you have raised valid points.

Finally the shortlisted students appeared for a PI and the panel was of about 6 people. My interview lasted for about 35-40 mintues. Usually they will ask you about yourself and probably crack a few jokes to make you feel comfortable. Laugh along! After they have asked you some general HR questions like: Tell me something about yourself, they will scan your CV. My interview was mostly about my internship at Cairn Energy, details about the project, skills, outcomes and loads of technical questions related to the same. They will ask a lot of quick questions like the range of sonic log, reservoir development or exploration problem etc. and at one point almost everyone (except the HR) was questioning me simultaneously. Then there were a lot of specifics asking my preference of working in a team or working alone, whether I enjoyed “Selling or pitching in clients”, which segment I would prefer, why a job over PhD etc.
Do’s: Answer honestly and be yourself! Don’t be pretentious - They will be judging for themselves your knowledge and skills. Revise your projects thoroughly and basics of seismic prospecting, well logging, data processing and inversion. Try to stress on your achievements and positive points on your CV. They want to see if you will be fun to work with (I tried not to be too serious and joked with them on many occasions!) Don’ts: Don’t be nervous and if you are just take a couple of seconds to compose yourself. If they ask you something you don’t know try not to guess.

• C language
Usually a CG of 8 and above is preferred since they are hiring for a technical role. If your CG is too high, you might end up justifying the reasons for not wanting to pursue a Ph.D! Its always a plus point to know the following: Some experience of programming in MATLAB, FORTRAN, C, Shell etc. as your research/intern projects. Also, knowledge of commercial software such as Petrel, Geoframe, Paradigm etc. as a part of your industrial experience can also help. They ask in details about projects and internships from whatever you have written on your CV. They value if you have interned with a good oil & gas company and have some industrial exposure. I think its the most important factor for them under this category. Tangible results of the project- in form of a research paper, 3D models are appreciated. They are mostly interested to know if you have worked in Seismics, Seismology, Well logging and interpretation. Some international exposure can be useful (Total Summer program, Paris was very beneficial for my interview).

• MATLAB,
  • FORTRAN,
  • C language,
Revise subjects like Geophysical signal processing, seismic methods, sequence stratigraphy and general inversion. They will like to know that you are very clear in your basics because they can teach you the advanced stuff! I personally enjoyed each stage of the selection process and I would suggest applicants to do the same. Talking to alumni at Schlumberger prior to the interview is a great idea.

, 10.5k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Field Engineer role at Schlumberger
Group Discussion Group Activity HR Interview

“Crystal Ship”
I chipped in 3-4 times. My points were accepted by the group in general. Also I expressed my support and extended a point mentioned by another person in the group. It was a decent discussion with very little arguments or chaos.
Be patient. Listen to what others have to say. Make sure that whatever you say is relevant and adds value to the
discussion, no matter how fewer words you speak.

Group Activity

A group of 7 students were given 3 minutes to choose a design for a toy car. 7 minutes to implement it from memory and another 5 minutes to sell it to the invigilators.

It started with tell me something about yourself. In my answer I mentioned that I want to do a field job from where the next series of questions came. Why a field job? Why not an office job? Why not higher studies? Why not MBA? How long do you plan to stay in the field? How do you think you will be able to do it after say 3 years when you plan to settle down? What has been your involvement in campus? Tell in brief 3 initiatives you took as the president of the hostel. Are you afraid of water? Do you swim? Do you have any relatives in the oil field? What companies did you interview with? I answered the questions honestly. After 2-3 rounds of cross questioning, every time I was able to give them a reason for a particular choice I made.

I was sure that I do not want to go for higher studies just after IIT, but still gave GRE thinking that after 2 years I may apply. Because of the same reason, I ruled out the option for CAT and GMAT and chose to do a job. Now looking at the list I have mentioned in the companies I interviewed with, it becomes apparent that I did not decide which sector to go for. But it was not like that. I realized that it was not possible for me to try my hand at every option I had. So, I decided to prepare for core and consulting. Consulting because what I learnt from seniors I thought I would enjoy it and core because it was one area I thought I had a good grip on and was easier to prepare. For core, you can revise some of the basics of courses like EE 370, EE 610, C/C++, VHDL/Verilog (try to do it a little bit early as during the placement semester a lot of other things will take up your time). Also you should be thorough with your internship and thesis. You can easily impress the interviewer in these areas if you have a good hold on them. To prepare for consulting, I read a few cases by myself (a whole bunch of consulting guides are available on the SPO placement portal). Then attended the mock sessions organized by the consulting club. Also formed groups of three to practice more case studies. Because of inadequate reading I think I lacked a basic practical approach as compared to my peers. I was bad at guess estimates in particular and prayed till the last day that I may not face one. Resume is also a very important aspect in your preparation. Prepare it well in advance, take feedback from a couple of seniors working in that particular sector and do incorporate those changes which you think will help improve its impact on the recruiter. Practice is the only way out to crack GD’s and tests. Don’t do too much of it either. First and foremost try to find out what kind of a job you would want to do by gathering information by reading about it yourself, talking to people working in that industry, matching it with your priorities and your long term goals. It sounds difficult but trust me it’s better to do some thinking now then to regret later.<br />
    <br />
    Prepare your resume well. Even if it is a small point in your resume be prepared to speak at least 2-3<br />
    meaningful sentences about it.<br />
    <br />
    No matter however trivial it seems, please do not rush with whatever you are saying. First think and develop a strong argument to support your statement. Also please try to avoid any preconceived notions you might have formed during preparation time to interfere with your attitude on the final day. Stay focused to answer the question asked to you then.<br />
    <br />
    No matter what do not speak until you are sure, but once you are don't change your answer until and unless the interviewer points out the flaw in your assumption.<br />
    <br />
    Be genuine and sound convincing. Once you take a stand, be firm on it no matter whatever extreme situations the interviewer throws on you. Start reading about whatever sector interests you. It’s never too early to start. Prior knowledge will count a lot not only in your preparations but will also help you in making better decisions about what you want. As it will happen, some interviews will go good some bad, don't get disheartened because no good will come out of it. Moreover, you will spoil the next interviews. Go with a smile in every interview and be yourself. Just think about doing well in this interview and nothing else. Hope you make the most out of the time and resources you have and enjoy as well.

, 9.9k views
    AnonymousFresherNot Selected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
    Group Discussion Interview

The topic they gave us was one I had done a GD on with my friends. No, this wasn’t a dream come true as they are well known to give the same topics year after year. In Schlumberger,the more you shout the better prospective rig engineer they see in you. The supervisor often used to go out to fag, and this gave us time to catch our breaths and start shouting again as soon as he re-entered. Expectedly I got short listed and was called for the interview process.

Interview

The interview was very easy and they focused on knowing why I was so interested in joining the company. I gave answers I believed in and was very honest. They asked me about how I would tackle a rebellious group of people in Africa. “Hotel Rwanda” came to the rescue and I thought I impressed them. I won't go into the details any more but the point is that
    Schlumberger people were really looking for confident people who are ready to take challenges. The results came in the night and I wasn’t able to make it through.

There are all sorts of people one will come across at IIT. There are people who are sure about themselves and then there are people who are not. The people who are sure about themselves are not to be discussed here as this article wants the private account of the writer.<br />
      It was really during the pleasant industry experience I had that I became less unsure about doing a job. I thought a lot and finally converged on a few sectors which could interest me and the job would involve something I would have fun doing. The criteria were interest factor and of course money. The funny thing is that the more you consult and seek public opinion, the more confused you get. This is because of the wide range of opportunities there are in all the sectors. So my advice here would be to choose something you would like to do. Doing something you don't like for at least a dozen hours a day, daily, would make you search for alternatives. So make<br />
      an informed decision but not a confused one.<br />
      Importance of GDs and Aptitude tests:<br />
      We used to organize wing GDs and had detailed conversations over a variety of topics ranging from contemporary politics to issues of social relevance. Looking up to the placement site for the GD topics the companies gave won't hurt. It helped us a lot in building up an opinion and feeling confidant. Besides it also made us recognize our weaknesses and gave us a chance to improve upon them. The rest of the things, I did when the SPO notified<br />
      about them. For example the SPO would, from time to time, announce deadlines to make versions of our resumes and if one just follows them, it's enough. While making the resume, I used to discuss with friends and then alone and only then, write. Resume making workshops are also a great help. I wasn’t a serious CAT aspirant and so I was skeptical as to whether I would be able to compete in the initial short listing round of companies where they ask specifically, aptitude and English questions. But fortunately, there was this company which came about a week before the actual placements started and took its aptitude test. When I wasn’t short listed, I realized the importance it had in the process. I had a week's time and I somehow managed to improve upon my aptitude skills. My advice to the students is that they should at least be giving serious attention to their English comprehension skills and aptitude. You don't want to have an excellent resume (I don't mean that I had one) and a high CPI and not even clearing the first round.<br />
      <br />
      In Retrospection, I think that the most important part of the placement process is that it is a really good “learning experience”. I think I matured along the process and started feeling a lot surer about myself. I realized that friends are forever and the times of stress are the only time you realize their value.

, 7.8k views
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
      Resume Shortlist HR Interview HR Interview

They are looking at the challenging things you have done with your stay. Inter-IIT, Independent Body Positions, etc.
      help – but are not necessarily sufficient. The shortlist was quite arbitrary and obviously done in a hurry, but they have an active off-campus hiring scene, with the oil exploration boom just kicking in. They are looking to hire about 6000 people in the current calendar year – and this will in all likelihood continue in the next year.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: What is the most important moment in your stay at IIT?
      • Question 2: What is the most challenging thing you have done in IIT?
      • Question 3: Why Schlumberger, what do you know about us, what did you think of the preplacement talk?
      • Question 4: If you are on a plane with one parachute and Hitler what would you do to survive?
      I imagine the best way to tackle this is to be calm and composed and look for onepoint in the questioning and cross questioning that you can buy your way out on. In my case I sort of drove them to how old Hitler was, and his credentials; not very flashy but effective. The idea of course is to be prepared well enough for the other questions. The rest of the interview, calm, steady and simple answers are what they seemed to like.
      A few things that might help you convince them:
       You want to do a hands-on technology job.
       You like adventure and hard work.
       You like the idea of a mobile, glitzy well paid life.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: if, after five years with the company, I would like to do a part time MBA or be a project leader in Angola, What would you do?
      • Question 2: where would I love to work?
      For the first question I said that I'd prefer to learn by dirtying my hands.I told them that I love what I know of Europe and would like to work there , they also questioned me on my knowledge of the languages on my resume and I told them that I wasn't in touch and couldn't possibly make conversation.
      Post selection, you have to also clear a medical test. Please keep your Passports ready and also get your ECNR clearance done (this can be done with a 10+2 certificate and your latest grade sheet). Get a driving license and as much driving experience as possible. And be patient and insistent with the personnel managers, they have a lot of complications to take care of, but they eventually take care of your case as well.

• ability to be involved in hands on work

, 4.1k views
      Aditya Pratap YadavFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
      Group Discussion HR Interview Group Activity

choose any topic of your choice and roll
      Generally, an abstract topic is given but ours was an exception. The panel judges you on the basis of how well you are with group dynamics. They seem to be looking for a natural leader. Note: Fluency in English was not a judging point in our selection.
      Google up 'group dynamics of GD'.
      Never shout, misplaced aggression will surely get you out of the game.
      Listening is appreciated.
      Talking longer than everyone else is not the same as leading a group.
      One aspect of showing leadership skills is heeding to others.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself which is not on the resume.
      • Question 2: What do you do apart from studies and insert=college activity you were most involved in ?
      • Question 3: Why should we hire you?
      • Question 4: Your weakness?
      • Question 5: How much do you sleep in a day ?
      • Question 6: Higher studies ?
      • Question 7: Tell me about your internship project?
      • Question 8: How can you say that you are hard working ?
      The questions were asked very casually and it was as far as it can get from a stress interview.
      Know your resume in and out.

Group Activity

An oil rig was to be made from a Mechanix kit. The tallest rig was to win.
      Take lead in designing and division of labour among the group. Talking in Hindi in a group was not looked down upon. Our group conversed in Hindi and won and had the max uys selected for the next round. If asked to leave the group in the middle of the activity, make sure that you are still taking interest in the group even if from afar.

roti-pani, kapda-makaan.<br />
         Jokes apart, it is Schlumberger!

, 3.7k views
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
        Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Technical Interview Case Study Interview Puzzle Interview HR Interview Group Activity

I had spent more than a month preparing my resume. I got it reviewed by my seniors and some professional organizations like VMock.

There was resume shortlisting which shortlisted 60 applications  which was followed by a Group Discussion after which only 35 remained.
        Start early and get it reviewed by as many people as you can.

I had joined Career Launcher for my aptitude test.
        Take notes of shortcut formulas and try to increase your speed.

Though I did not prepare much for the GDs, but I was regularly organizing the "Self Awakening Hour" in the campus in which we discussed the ideas for National Building and Youth Empowerment that eventually improved my communication skills.

Have a basic knowledge of coding, finance and statistics.

Case Study Interview

Practice Case studies and guesstimates as much as you can.

Puzzle Interview

Puzzles are also an inevitable part. http://www.techinterview.org/ is the best source for practiscing puzzels. Do all the puzzles in there

Never try to memorize any answer. Let it come out spontaneously in front of the panel. Just be confident and never fake anything. they will judge you on the basis of the work you have done during your campus stay. They want to see something different be it Social Services or something Inter-IIT.

Group Activity

It judged our capability of teamwork shortlisted 24 applicants for final interview.

Be confident. Prepare well. Have basic knowledge of coding statistics and finance. Case studies, Guesstimates, puzzles are important. Review your resume and most importantly, never fake.

, 3.3k views
          Application
          I was interviewed on-campus for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
          Group Discussion Group Activity Technical Interview

Crystal ship
          There were 9 people in a group and an abstract topic was given. Thinking time 10 sec and discussion for 10 minutes.
          You have to be well prepared for abstract topics and creative enough to give a different perspective.
          Read newspapers regularly.

Group Activity

6 people in a group were asked to make a movable structure from the given manual. We were given 10 seconds to view it, The total time was 15 minutes including the time to present, sell and add further points.
          our group made a swing with lego sets and then i was asked to explain its shortcomings. I also suggested that we can use the given 4 wheels to make that product portable. I was selected among 25 candidates.

It went on for 20 minutes and there was a single panel of 4 members. I was initially nervous, but I was fine after a while. One of them asked me if i was tired. I said that I was rather excited. Then they said that they were tired so I was asked to entertain them. i shared a few incidents of mine. and my internship also. I drew down my designs. they were impressed.
          But they said that I got a very dynamic personality and may nit be fit for the job profile. I understood that they were asking me 'why this company?' I answered that I never had fixed timetable in my entire day at IITK for 5 years, and that Schlumberger also had a flexible routine. They asked whether I knew anyone working there. I had the entire list. They asked me what would I do if I was given 10 million dollars. I understood that the question pointed out to my long term goals. I was truthful with my asnwers.
          They asked about my family and then asked if I had any questions.

Do consult your seniors. <br />
            Start early on your resume and prepare GDs, Mock interviews and tests within groups. <br />
            Do not set a particular company as a target because if you are not selected, that may lead to depression, which can kill your time and attitude. Do not give in to panic.<br />
            Do not take things for granted and don't demotivate anyone.
            Found the brand name and the work culture good, and with a handsome salary.

, 3.2k views
            Application
            I was interviewed on-campus for Field Engineer role at Schlumberger
            Group Discussion Group Activity Interview

Abstract topics like red, apple, orange etc. topics could be changed in between GD, so a GD can be on 2 topics. First one is for 5 mins followed by the 2nd.
            Good GD skills. creativity, ability to think on the spot, flexibility. Team Work: Working with others as a team. Involvement in the activity: Take a lead if possible Think before you start speaking. General tips for GD: Attending the mock session conducted by communique can help.

Group Activity

It was asked to build a car with a given mechanics set ( the childhood one) and advertise it to the other group. Slight changes were there for different groups.
            Participate as much as you can, don’t sit idle, help the group in whatever way you can.

Interview

Answers could be cut down in between. Binary answers are sometimes expected, as well as rating types of questions.
            Know as much as you can about the job profile. Why you want to do it should be clear. They will go on penetrating on whatever you speak, so keep in mind whatever you speak. Be prepared with your CV, know the job and why you want to do it. Prepare the “Tell me about yourself” question beforehand. Be confident. give crisp answers. They really like straight answers. Also, don’t get stressed as it could be a pressure interview. Be careful about mentioning anything that shows your research interest.

A decent CGPA is good enough. Company is not very specific about CGPA. A good extra academic involvement is good for this company. Some sports and games credentials is not necessary but can help. They basically look for a person who has a strong mind to work in the future, and can also work under stressful mental and physical conditions. A research background, or a good CGPA which indicates research interest could be a problem as the company focuses a lot on selecting people who would stay for some good amount of time in the company. Have an Overall developed personality.

, 3.2k views
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus for Field Engineer role at Schlumberger
              Group Discussion Other Interview

This is basically to test the way you work in groups. That is why oneneeds to practice in working in groups a lot. Limited time, case studies, thought procedure, ideas, creativity,coordination, taking initiative, communication skills.
              The company is a complete English speaking inclined company and hence require people with goodspeaking abilities. Improve your english speaking abilities.

Other Interview

The interview will all the time be focused on how have you made your life, what do you think you are, what have you learned, how do you work, what do you do for motivation, and similar common interview questions. Cracking schlum is not difficult if you actually are aware of yourselves, that is why I said sit andtalk to yourselves everyday.Another important thing while preparing for the interview questions is to describe all things with examplesfrom your life. That would be enough for the person to understand that "fatte nahi maare hain".And remember that you are not afraid of going to field and work if you want to make it to schlumberger andobviously you won't if you want to work hard in life

Schlum believes in a filtering on the basis of resume, which many feel is random but it is not. I will actuallytell you certain points for making a resume that not only schlum but everyone looks for.The following points are what a company actually looks for to be in your resume...u2022 Content and formal factors u2013 should be clear and concise; write less and reveal more type of CVu2019su2022 Attractiveness and Qualification; free of spelling errors, properly formattedu2022 Grades: for success of training on the job AND future successu2022 Chronological order of dates and also dates must be easy to findu2022 Overview of basic qualifications and specific, professional skillsu2022 Extracurricular activities (sports, dramatics, music etc)u2022 Holder of important positions

, 3k views
                AnonymousFresherNot Selected
                Application
                I was interviewed on-campus for FIELD ENGINEER role at Schlumberger
                Group Discussion HR Interview

The GD was a standard one. A list of objects was provided which were to be ranked according to their necessity on a mission to moon. The group was to discuss and the individuals were to mark it later.

Interview Questions
                • Question 1: Why Schlumberger ?
                • Question 2: Your career aspirations ?
                • Question 3: Your homework on Schlumberger.
                PI was mostly HR related questions. During the interview I had realized the stark difference between the company work profile and my expectations and had apprised them of the same.

Most of the times, things go on as they are supposed to, we do what we are assigned, meet deadlines and get it over with. Knowing what to do after four or five years of study at IIT is one of those deciding phases where we have to do something out of routine, think about what we actually want, what we can get from where we are. Here is an account of how I went about making my decisions and preparing for it. In one of those routine placement<br />
                  talks, a speaker remarked, ‘there are two ways you can choose a career- by extrapolation from what you have right now and by interpolation from your long term goal’. This helps one realize the importance of identification of long term goal. In my opinion, once a person is convinced about that, it is easy to pull off an interview; more importantly, it is easy to identify which options to prepare for.
                  This is the alert