ENO

ENO Interview Questions and Tips

Srishti JainFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
Resume shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview HR Interview

Resume shortlist

There isn't much I can write here in terms of my experience. But it wouldn't be fair to skip this as this was the first selection criterion.
Have a neat readable resume- not too crammed, not too blank. Get it checked by atleast 10 people. If you are from a non-finance background, they want to see your enthusiasm to learn. Be sure to write about relevant stuff - certification exams, relevant projects and courses (economics, accounting,operations research) taken up in the institute, conferences, business plans etc.

Women empowerment
We were a group of 9 people - 5 girls and 4 boys; a ratio in line with the topic given to us. Each of us was initially given 40 seconds to talk and then a discussion of 10 minutes followed. It was necessary to make a mark in the beginning since these 40 seconds were uninterrupted.

I started by declaring that I would wish to discuss this topic first at a national level and then at a global level. If you can relate to a current issue, you have started well. I mentioned a few points about empowering women from PM Modi's speech delivered on Independence Day. I also built on one of the points raised by a member in the group. As I was the last one to speak, I took advantage of it and gave structure to the upcoming 10 minutes of discussion by declaring 3 major issues to be tackled when it comes to empowering women - Education, Employment and Safety. All of them around me agreed and the discussion was constructive. I was told, "Always summarize" and I did so when we were told that we were left with two minutes only.

P.S. - I was told later that I was ranked the highest in my round.
What gives you an edge above the others is

- Making a new/different point

- Structuring your ideas/thoughts

- Connecting to current affairs

- Summarizing at the end

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Walk me through your resume.
  • Question 2: Where do you gain your interest in finance from?
  • Question 3: Technical questions (based on idea generation, implementation and financials) on winning Business Plan
  • Question 4: Technical questions on an academic project - Product development from design till launch
  • Question 5: You seem to have a consult-based resume. Why finance then?
  • Question 6: Trap question: Just because you couldn't make it to a consult firm, you want to join Credit Suisse?
  • Question 7: What is something in you that you would want to change?
  • Question 8: Pitch Credit Suisse to a Manager for 1 minute.
  • Question 9: What is the difference between the roles being offered at Credit Suisse for IITM students?
Oh this was an enjoyable interview. Once the ice was broken, we were having more of a conversation setting than an interview one. Credit Suisse definitely wants to see your inclination towards a particular division with a clear notion of why you picked one over another. The lady who interviewed me had just moved from the division of Prime Services to Private Banking(PB) Americas. I wanted to join PB and laid down my motivation for the same. Towards the end, I asked her about the learning curve and her 6-year experience at Credit Suisse. She asked me about my significant achievements (non-academic) in my undergraduate years.
Know your resume inside out. Expect anything. Carry documents/certificates that will increase your chances. I carried a copy of my Business plan and she had a question to ask for every page she turned. Stay relaxed. They don't have a stress round but the interviewer wants to interview someone who doesn't have well-prepared answers. If you can get the interviewer to have a casual conversation with you, it's likely he/she will recommend you for the next round.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Why do you want to join Credit Suisse?
  • Question 3: Is your father a Private Banker?
  • Question 4: How often do you speak to your Banker?
  • Question 5: If your account balance was multiplied by a million, what would you do with it?
  • Question 6: Considered doing an MBA? Why not?
  • Question 7: Been to 11 countries in the world, but not the U.S.A.(Immense finance activity hub)? Why not?
I pride on telling everyone that I didn't have a Puzzles round. The selection process right from the Group Discussion seemed very smooth and I was directly sent to a Senior person for supposedly the last interview.I started with a line in Swahili (the national language of Tanzania - a country where I lived for around 15 years). The translation to English brought a smile on his face and I knew he was one who was looking for something different in a person. At a point, he asked me whether I had been to the U.S. and then with much excitement, he himself started telling me about the Financial Hub, his tales from Morgan Stanley and his experience of 15 years in Prime Services.
Understand what the interviewer wants to buy. And then sell accordingly. This was certainly not an interview where the interviewer had a fixed set of questions.

The answer to "Tell me about yourself" drove the entire interview. So be smart and steer the conversation allowing you to talk about stuff off your resume - some interesting experiences and your hobbies.

• Communication skills
  • Finance
  • Accounting
Just be fluent in whatever you say or explain. Usually client side roles demand that otherwise even that is not a must. Knowing basics of finance is a must so that you know what kind of profile you are getting into. Finance is a big field and has lots of divisions where you can try your hands on. Like Investment Banking, Private Equity / VC, Private Banking, etc

• NCFM Beginner's module,
  • Accounting and Finance for beginners,
  • CFA Level 1 Certification,
  • FRM Level 1 Certification,
  • NCFM Certificates,
Getting placed during the campus placement season is a huge achievement.Start preparing early. And remember, placement prep never happens alone.

Irrespective of the kind of profile you are looking at, pair up with friendsand study together.
CreditSuisse has a long tradition of meeting the complex financial needsof a wide range of clients, offering advisory services andinnovative products to companies, institutional clients and high-net-worthprivate clients globally.I applied to Credit Suisse specially for their Analyst role inthe Private Banking Americas division which was set up in Mumbai in March 2014.

The pre-placement talk on campus by Credit Suisse officials, a neat jobdescription on the institute placement portal made the role very appealing andtalking to IITM alumni at Credit Suisse helped me strengthen my choice.
Since I have studied till 10th in Tanzania, Africa they asked me to speak in Swahili :P I not only spoke but also sung a Swahili Jingle.

Abhishek MishraFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse

• Section 1: quants
  • Section 2: logic
  • Section 3: puzzles section
  • Section 4: coding section
quants- There was no negative marking for any section and no verbal. It was fairly good and the questions were moderate. Enough Practice could get you decent attempts here. puzzles section-There were 7/8 puzzles in all and required a good deal of thinking. Ofcourse, if you had seen them before, they would be child's play! We were expected to write our logic and the answer to the puzzle. Go through loads of brainteaser puzzles online.coding section-There were 7 questions to be attempted. Either pseudo code or C worked fine though I mostly used C for that. The questions ranged from finding if a string was an anagram of another, distance between two hands of a clock, finding if a number is prime without using a function and the rest on data structures such as reversing a link list etc. I devoted around 40 50 minutes to this section and attempted 5 questions. Make sure that your logic is strong and write your logic in pseudo code even if you cannot form a proper code for it. Give it a shot! But DONT overdo it if you cant think of the logic. You aren't expected to know everything. I gave the test with a calm mind and wrote my logic and code according to what I felt right. It will be pretty easy if you are practicing regularly. I tried to be efficient wherever possible.

Interview Questions
    The technical round lasted around half an hour. It started with my experience in the FETS committee. This was followed by questions on my third year project. Know your project thoroughly and how it can be extended in future. Then there was an easy puzzle followed by a few questions on time complexity and data structures. I answered confidently even though the interviewers tried to confuse me but I stuck to my answers because I was sure. It matters! If you just cant think of a solution, then say you dont know. If you can, then think aloud so they may help you if you go wrong. Dont go in for a bluff else you will be grilled on that answer till you are proved wrong
    Remember guys, you aren't expected to know everything. You should instead show your analytical and thinking skills. Be truthful. There's one thing Credit Suisse is known for. If they think you aint the right person, they'll let you know in a while and you wont be kept waiting. Plus, you move on to the next round immediately. That's what happened with me. I came out and walked into the waiting room with a relieved feeling of having not goofed up at any place. :D And then was informed that my next interview was in 5 minutes. Its at times like these that you have no idea whether to feel nervous or happy!

Interview Questions
      the management round. Its a tech-cum-hour round with a senior person at CS. Surprisingly, I was asked only hour questions. I was told to be truthful and confident in this round. No need to explain why. I was asked questions like greatest strengths, weaknesses and why Credit Suisse? Non IT background people should be able to justify why they want to switch to IT. Ask meaningful questions yourself. It leaves a good impression. Then, I came out. Walked in the waiting room. And then the same thing happened. Next interview. Now. (This dint happen with everyone though. They were many who waited pretty much too while others were being interviewed!)

Interview Questions
        It wasn't a surprise when I was asked the same questions. I was asked to justify a few qualities I was
        good at. This means writing 'I am a good problem solver' in your resume when you cant even think of one instance where you solved a problem wont work :P. The interview went good and the HR did ask me what I had researched about the company. Given this chance, I promptly vomited everything I knew about CS.

• 'How to ace the brainteaser interviews.,
          We realized that Credit Suisse does not entertain excuses related to relocating. APPLY ONLY IF YOU ARE READY TO RELOCATE IF THEY ASK YOU TO DO SO. The locations are Mumbai, Pune and Bangalore. Better to research the company you are applying for. It will count.

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
          Test Technical Interview Other Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: 15 Quantitative analysis and reasoning questions (MCQs)
          • Section 2: 7 Puzzles (Subjective)
          • Section 3: 2 Computer fundamental questions (MCQs)
          • Section 4: 5 Programming questions (Subjective)
          • Section 5: 1 Bonus question (Subjective)
          15 Quantitative analysis and reasoning questions (MCQs)The problems were basic to mid-level CAT Quantitative 7 Puzzles (Subjective)-How to Ace the Brain Teasers book helps
          5 Programming questions (Subjective)Algorithm or code in any language was accepted.-Questions were based on String manipulation techniques, Searching-Sorting techniques, anagram, calculation of the angle between hour and minute hand in a clock if the time is given and data structures used in RDBMS.
          1 Bonus question (Subjective)-Client Server Architecture type of question. The test was a written test with no negative marking!

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Asked about projects. (Detailed Explanation)
          • Question 2: Basic concepts of JAVA.
          • Question 3: Types of indices in Relational databases.
          • Question 4: Mapping of ER Diagram into Relational database. (Since I had used it in one of my projects)
          • Question 5: Different keys in DBMS.
          • Question 6: Is ADO.NET part of VB.NET?
          • Question 7: Which sorting technique is better and why?
          • Question 8: Educational profile.
          • Question 9: Difference between procedural oriented and object oriented concepts.
          • Question 10: What is encapsulation, data hiding and abstraction?
          • Question 11: Do you know about functional programming?
          • Question 12: Have you taken any course on functional programming on Coursera?

Other Interview

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: 1) Tell me about yourself? What do you do in your leisure time?
          • Question 2: 2) Why Investment Banking?
          • Question 3: 3) Aptitude test paper discussion.
          • Question 4: 4)1-2 situation based questions.
          • Question 5: 5) My research on Credit Suisse.
          • Question 6: 6) Questions for the interviewer.
          managerial around

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Tell me about yourself? Hobbies?
          • Question 2: Family background.
          • Question 3: Discussion about relocation possibilities
          • Question 4: One quality that makes me different from the rest of my class with example.
          • Question 5: How have I improved after internship interview experience with Credit Suisse?
          • Question 6: My research on Credit Suisse.
          • Question 7: Why no further studies in spite of good grades?
          • Question 8: Why Credit Suisse?
          • Question 9: Questions for the interviewer.

1.Resume should be simple, precise and up to date. Check for typos before submitting your resume. 2. Pay attention to the speakers during the company's pre-placement talk. Carry a small notebook to note important points. They would even suggest you to read particular topics. Note those topics and glance through them before going for the interviews. Be familiar with company's website and the role they are offering. Talk with seniors who are already working in the firm if possible. Do some basic research before going to the pre placement talk. 3. Be yourself, patient and confident while answering and during the entire procedure 4. Do one programming language properly and have some basic knowledge about one other programming language. Preferably one procedural oriented and one object oriented language. Know the concepts well.

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse

• Section 1: Quants MCQs
            • Section 2: Puzzles
            • Section 3: Programming Logic Questions
            • Section 4: Bonus Section
            -> Quants MCQs -This section consists of about 10-12 quants MCQs. It is fairly simple. > Puzzles- This section consists of 7 puzzles. Try to solve the puzzles, and if you can’t, atleast write the logic that you think will lead you to the answer-> Programming Logic Questions-This section consists of about 7 programming logic questions (example –recursive reversed linked list, angles between hands of a clock, how to find square root without using sqrt function, etc). Preferably, write the code, otherwise the pseudo code. Section Bonus Section-!This section consists of designing some architecture for a system. Do not attempt this till you have completed all the above sections.

Interview Questions
              Technical Round was around 30-40 minutes. It was mostly based on resume. There were 2-3 programming questions which I had to write pseudo code for. Then they gave me a problem statement on which they asked 2-3 DBMS query. Sadly, I don’t remember the exact question but assure you that with sound understanding of any one programming language and DBMS you can easily clear the tech round.

Interview Questions
                Managerial Round was a mix of tech + managerial skills. Some OOPS concepts were asked.Give examples while explaining the concept. Complex DBMS queries including join was asked.Query was something like how will you detect whether duplicate roll no. exist in your database.He also asked a few ethics related qn that you ever copied or let others copy in examination.Other few qn were like how much time can you work maximum, how much you study regularly,any new news in IT that you have recently come across, what went wrong in internshipinterviews (Forgot to mention that I was rejected after tech round during Credit Suisse internshipinterview) and many more such questions.He asked us to ask him any qn about Credit Suisse or even outside it

Interview Questions
                • Question 1: How was your day
                • Question 2: Tell me about yourself
                • Question 3: Your weakness and how did you improve on it
                • Question 4: One reason that we should hire you
                • Question 5: What went wrong in your internship interview
                • Question 6: Event that we had organized in SPACE
                • Question 7: Has there ever a fight while you were working in a team and how did you solved it
                • Question 8: Which project you were proud of and why
                • Question 9: MOST IMPORTANTLY Tell me everything you know/ heard about Credit Suisse and WHY Credit Suisse

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
                  Group Discussion Other Interview HR Interview Other Interview

Is the advent of social media forums, like Facebook and Twitter, a boon or a bane?
                  The person should be a team player, should have good interpersonal skills, and should have good leadership qualities to control the flow of the discussion. Being a good conflict manager also helps.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
                  • Question 1: "If an egg is thrown from a 1000 storeyed building, determine from what minimum floor it should be thrown for it to crack.”
                  • Question 2: "How many tennis balls can fill INS Vikrant?”
                  Puzzle solving type question was asked. For first question I solved it using Binary Sorting Method. Basically, throw the egg from 500th floor. If it doesn’t crack then go to 750th floor, if it cracks then go to 250th floor. And continue. (Egg is quite strong of course). And for second, I used volume of each ball and void fraction. They see your approach rather than the numbers.

Interview Questions
                  • Question 1: “What do you expect to be doing at the company?”
                  • Question 2: “What do you expect yourself to be doing 5 years down the line?” Be honest.
                  I told them that I’m not sure about what I would be doing after 5 years but I have a vision to be a decision maker of the company. I also told them frankly that I wasn’t really interested in Chemical Engineering.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
                  • Question 1: “Why Credit Suisse?”
                  • Question 2: "What have you recently read in the newspaper?”
                  Interview was taken by the director. For first question, I answered,” It’s in Bombay and I am from Bombay.” For second, I told the director about the new low in oil prices along with its trends and reasons for the same. Demand and supply was used as a reason.

• Interpersonal skills
                  • Systems identification
                  • Numerical Techniques
                  • Time series
                  • Linear algebra
                  • Multivariate Data analysis
                  Should be a team player. Should have a good story to tell. Should be interesting -There should be key take away for everything you do. For example for my events core-ship, we cut a few events to increase quality, quantity and price money of other events we founded Sangam to bring all clubs under one umbrella. Won’t really help in interview directly but will help in problem solving.
                  The person should be a team player, should have good interpersonal skills, and should have good leadership qualities to control the flow of the discussion. Being a good conflict manager also helps.

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse

• Section 1: Quants MCQs
                  • Section 2: Puzzles
                  • Section 3: Programming Logic Questions
                  • Section 4: Bonus Section

Interview Questions
                    The interview process begins with the technical round. You are asked general questions on the language you are proficient in. Also, you are asked to write general codes in your preferred language. Then there are questions on Database Management System, Operating System, Software Testing, OOP Concepts and Data Structures. Also you are asked to solve a few of the unsolved aptitude questions

Managerial Interview –
                      Once you clear the Technical round, you are called in for the Managerial round. You are asked about yourself, your interests, your interest in technology, your technical skills, your projects, the technical competitions that you participated in. Here you may be asked a few technical questions too.

Interview Questions
                        The HR Round is the last round. This round mostly consists of resume based questions about yourself, your interests, hobbies, strengths, weaknesses, etc. You are also asked to brief about your co-curricular, extra-curricular and social activities. You are also asked to speak whatever you know about the company. Be prepared for questions like ‘Why Credit Suisse?’, ‘Where do you see yourself n years down the line?’, ‘Why should we choose you over your batchmates?’.

• Cracking The Coding Interview (by Gayle Laakmann McDowell), ,
                          • Let Us C (by Yashwant Kanetkar),
                          • Test Your C Skills (by Yashwant Kanetkar), ,
                          • How To Ace The Brain Teaser Interview (by John Kador) ,
                          • Puzzles To Puzzle You (by Shakuntala Devi). ,

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse

• Section 1: quant,
                          • Section 2: verbal,
                          • Section 3: puzzles
                          • Section 4: code.

Interview Questions
                          • Question 1: Implement your hash map class?
                          • Question 2: Tell me abt class Vector
                          • Question 3: Tell me abt Linked List in java
                          • Question 4: Tell me abt ur project and which data structures u used in them.
                          • Question 5: Difference between method and function
                          • Question 6: U have a array of size million. It contains values 0-9.Sort it.
                          Implement ur hash map class(I did in java with a lot of help from the interviewer and took abt ½ hr to write the entire proper code including main). The interviewer waextremely friendly).U have a array of size million. It contains values 0-9.Sort it.(I said radix sort. He asked me to develop a custom approach).So with their help, i was able to develop a hash table containing the count.  Tell me abt ur project and which data structures u used in them. He wanted to know the details of implementation of any one project.(Which language, how did u open the connection to databases, which classes were used for connection to db)Difference between method and function (Didnt know tht,couldnt solve it till the end)

Other Interview

Interview Questions
                          • Question 1: 1. Say a few things about urself.
                          • Question 2: 2. Asked a few things abt my project and my co curricular activities.
                          • Question 3: 3. What would u do if u were bored of ur job in finance
                          The Managerial Round:he encouraged people to ask any questions in an area outside of Credit Suisse (the

interviewer was expressed his interest in aviation).

I asked him some questions related to finance.

Interview Questions
                          • Question 1: 1. Why Credit Suisse?
                          • Question 2: 2. Would u be willing to relocate? (YES is the only answer they look for)
                          • Question 3: 3. Mention some extracurricular activities of urs. What problems did u face?
                          • Question 4: 4. Some question related to SPIT( It was something related to the competitive environment in SPIT, cannot remember)
                          • Question 5: 5. Mention one quality which sets u apart from the other ppl.

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
                            Technical Interview Other Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: 1) What is Polymorphism in Java?
                            • Question 2: 2) What is multithreading?
                            • Question 3: 3) What is operator overloading?( Explain with a pseudo code.)
                            • Question 4: If I have 1 to 10 numbers in an array and if one of the numbers is missing then how will you find out which one is the missing number?
                            The first round was the tech round in which firstly I was asked about things on my resume (e.g. I had done a course in Embedded Systems, so the interviewer asked me in which language I was made to code etc.)  If I have 1 to 10 numbers in an array and if one of the numbers is missing then how will you find out which one is the missing number? ( The answer is that you have to add all the numbers in an array and then compare the sum with the expected one. The difference between the two is the missing number) Puzzle: If 3 ants are travelling along the sides of a triangle only in one specific direction then what’s the probability that the ants don’t collide.?( Don’t remember exactly, so refer to the same book mentioned above for the question as well as the solution  Design a lift with minimum amount of inconvenience on the part of user. ( The answer is—You should divide the total no. of floors in even floors and odd floors and then design )
                            Special tip: Please go through as many puzzles as you can from How to ace... book. Also there is an app called water logic which might be useful

Other Interview

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: What are your hobbies? 2) What would you do if your colleague behaves in a way which is against your principles? What are your hobbies?
                            • Question 2: 2) What would you do if your colleague behaves in a way which is against your principles?
                            • Question 3: 3) Which is the happiest day of your life?

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
                            • Question 2: 2) How are you trying to overcome your weaknesses?
                            • Question 3: 3) Questions about family.
                            • Question 4: What is the one thing in you that makes you different and distinguishable from your classmates?
                            • Question 5: 5) Are your parents okay if we post you in Pune?

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                              I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
                              Technical Interview Other Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
                              • Question 1: Java questions:What are abstract classes?What are final classes?What are static classes? Difference between static and nonstatic classes. What is inheritance? Give example and explain.
                              • Question 2: Net questions: Write a program to connect to a backend or database(SQL server) using C#. What is a service? Advantages of WCF service
                              • Question 3: Android: What do you mean by ‘target API level’? Which software do u use to build android apps? What do you mean by APK?
                              Puzzle: there are 3 baskets, one has only oranges the second one has only apples and the third one has both oranges and apples. How many minimum fruits u need to take out to determine the content of all the baskets. You can take out only one fruit in one turn. Number pattern: write a program in any language to display the following number pattern (a kite shape full of numbers, requires some 3-4 loops)Basically I didn’t get all the answers right. But what they expected was to think logically and say whatever that comes to your mind so at least they can judge whether u are on the right track or not.

Interview Questions
                                This was the best round! The director took my interview. It eventually got converted into a technical round. He asked me almost the same questions about .Net. Then he asked me an easy puzzle. He asked me why I chose EXTC(because my resume is full of IT projects and achievements). I was quite honest to tell that I did a mistake while filling the form! And there were a couple of questions which I answered honestly which I guess he liked. So I think it is advisable to be true and honest. Then I was asked whether I have any questions. I asked about his career path. We spent more than half an hour discussing about his career path, he gave a lot of advice as well.

Interview Questions
                                  He asked me about my family. He asked whether I have any post graduation plans. Then he asked something related to Credit Suisse and the pre-placement talk.

They had shortlisted students who had aggregate above 75%. We were called directly in their office at Powai, Hiranandani. We didn’t have any aptitude test or GD, only 3 rounds of personal interview.

Credit Suisse eno interview

Application
                                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ENO role at Credit Suisse
                                    Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview

Make your resume neat and tidy, of length one page. Use the right words and make sure to get it checked by seniors. Orient your resume based on the profiles being offered. Highlight things like business plans, industry-defined problems, projects in optimisation and data modelling in your resume.This is because many companies have a so-called 'HOTLIST' of students that they definitely want to interview based on resume.

3/4 people from each GD group were listed down on their hotlist based on their performance in the GD. Take mock GDs and build on your confidence.  It is important to make clear points and not be very generic, along with not interfering while others are talking. Be polite as well as confident. Listen to others while the discussion is happening and be mindful of how you interact with people.Quoting instances may give you extra credits.

Interview Questions
                                      There could be a third round after you're selected and they want to know more about you.  Take mock interviews. Make sure you are honest throughout the interview stage. While talking about your weaknesses, make sure to tell them about how you're trying to overcome them. Firstly, have weaknesses to talk about!

• '64 HR questions,