EDISON ENGINEER

EDISON ENGINEER Interview Questions and Tips

ABHINAV KUMAR SINGHFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for EDISON ENGINEER role at General Electric [ GE ]

• Section 1: Quant
  • Section 2: Core-HeatTransfer/Design/CompSCi (Any One)
Quant is going to be standard CAT type .Time Crunching is going to be the key. Give as many practice tests as possible. Standard near level CATFor Core: Relatively Easy , Heat transfer was quite simple with more stress on conduction GATE Book is sufficient.
Keep track of tome and sections . DO read instructions carefully,try answering as many as possible in Quant as that's going to be the deciding factorWeightage:Quant: 80%Core:20%

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about
  • Question 2: Why GE
  • Question 3: What product you like the most made byGE
  • Question 4: What would you like to make in GE
  • Question 5: Hobby
Very relaxed, very comfortable and sytematic. They were eager to know about you and would like to hear the three words in any answer "ETHICS>INTEGRITY>INNOVATION"Speak it out in Tell me about yourself and you're in for sure.
Kind of said above,  Make sure bring Edison in conversation they like to hear about it

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why Dual Degree and Mech
  • Question 2: Subject you love the most and why
  • Question 3: Strength Of material:1. Stress and pressure?difference?
  • Question 4: Find the stress and failure condition for a truss system?
  • Question 5: Pressure vessel Thick and derivation ?
  • Question 6: Buckling Derivation ?
  • Question 7: Dual Degree Project ?
They were looking for depth rather than width of your knowledge. They want derivations not final results, even of you make a mistake they'll help you rectify that. Just show your enthusiasm for Mechanical Engineering.
IT's going to be the deciding factor as only those who clear technical round will be called for HR. If your performance is good in tech interview than HR will be a cakewalk else it will be trickier.Please give in 3 days preparation for subject you like and 3 hrs for reading about GE. Try to integrate your subject expertise to their products...... might sound a bit too much but they have so many, you could find one and .... you're through...ALL THE BEST....

• Core mechanical fundaes
"Prepare one subject but make sure you reach a perfection level."

• Strength of Material- RC Hibbler (Interview),
  • Machine Design- RL Norton (interview),
  • Any GATE Book and Previous year papers (For Test),

Pranav MulayFresherSelected
Resume Shortlist Test Interview Interview

Had a lot of technical stuff in the resume and edited out the co-curriculars. But I guess was shortlisted based on my performance in the test, as a lot of others with stronger resumes (technically) were not shortlisted.
GE while shortlisting engineering talent at IIT's doesn't care much about the extra-curriculars. And we tend to have a lot of them on our resumes. Would suggest emphasizing the projects done and the impact of those in the resumes.

The test was basically around the fundamentals of Mechanical Engg. Not very difficult but tested the candidate on fundamental concepts.
    A basic prep of relevant coursework should suffice.

Interview Questions
      A lot of emphasis on my coursework and Dual Degree Project. Most of the discussion revolved around the DDP and adjacent fields. Apart from the technical details the interviewer curious about the impact that the project would finally create. This, as I understand now, is a requirement for the profile we're hired into.
      Some guys had two rounds of technical interviews but in my case the interviewer after one round had made it very clear that I had got the job. I later understood that most of the people had two rounds and very few had a single round.
      Steer the discussion toward your strengths. The interviewers are generally very friendly, but don't bullshit them as most of them are individuals who occupy engineering leadership roles at GE's Bangalore Center.
      Be prepared to do some math on a paper, I was asked to formulate some of the stuff I was talking about my DDP. If you don't know something it is better to shut up than speculate.

Interview Questions
        Was basically a formality, the interviewer chatted for a while about what I had done at IIT, what I liked/disliked about my college. Asked me to rate myself on a few things. Asked my rationale behind the evaluation.
        In my opinion the HR interview is just a show. The technical interview IS the interview. If get that right you're through.

• Basic mechanical engineering courses,
          • Courses around your projects,
          If you're technically sound should not be difficult to crack this.
          The EEDP program is a good profile for people who're interested to pursue careers in engineering. GE as an engineering brand is huge.

General Electric [ GE ] edison engineer interview

Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Edison Engineer role at General Electric [ GE ]

• Section 1: Technical
          Topics:
          a) Subjective
          b) Fluid & Programming, speed of boat/stream type, problem on age, Mohr Circle, B.M. , deflection, shear stress in circular c/s, CAT type questions, where shear stress in maximum in the diagram? In a sphere what is the ratio between volumetric strain and circumferential strain, torsion natural frequency of a system having a circular disc connected to a rod? Given: Circle- radius, 2 chord lengths, fixed relation between distance from centre of chords if they are having a ratio of 1:2 lengthwise
          c) Puzzles - A.P sum to n terms, GP next no. in series, A starts t1 B starts t2 at what time will they meet?
          d) Geometry, probability, pipe and cisterns, turbines and compressors

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: Axial compressor functioning of GT engines
          • Question 2: Principle stress and strain
          • Question 3: Natural frequency of beam problem
          • Question 4: Shear centre, finite element methods
          • Question 5: Fracture mechanics
          • Question 6: Composites
          • Question 7: Strength of materials
          • Question 8: Predict next few numbers in series
          • Question 9: Algorithm to reduce size of stored matrix
          • Question 10: Bending moment and load displacement relation
          • Question 11: Derive expression of lift over air fail
          • Question 12: Write algorithm to store given data in different formats
          • Question 13: Basic fluid dynamics questions, turbulence
          • Question 14: Discretization schemes and error analysis on CFD

Interview Questions
          • Question 1: What are the major projects you have done? (On Thesis )
          • Question 2: Introduce yourself, tell something other than resume?
          • Question 3: Why IITK are you capable of taking pressure in company? Give examples
          • Question 4: Family background
          • Question 5: Managerial skills, weakness
          • Question 6: Why not higher studies
          • Question 7: Tell some products in the market you would feel proud you were part of the team?
          • Question 8: Why this company?

Study:

1. R.S. Agrawal of quantitative problems is a good solution.

2. Fluid mechanics

3. Strength of materials

4. Dynamics and vibration

5. FEM

6. Fracture and fatigue

7. Composite materials

8. C++/C

9. Data Structure

10. Probability and stats.

11. Heat and mass transfer

16. Structural analysis

17. Dynamic and vibration

18. FEM propulsion

Sai Bharadwaj PFresherSelected
            Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for EDISON ENGINEER role at General Electric [ GE ]
            Technical Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
              I was asked to explain each and every project in my CV and was asked cross questions. The interviewer also asked questions based on the topics related to my projects. I was also asked about various softwares I know which I mentioned in my resume. Most of the questions asked were related to hardware and practical applications. Most of the interviewers ask us to choose a topic in which we are comfortable and then ask us questions in that topic.
              Be very confident and also very clear with the resume. Be prepared with the major subject of the projects. For example, if you have done a project on designing a controller for some system, then be thorough with control systems part.
              When the interviewer asks if you have anything to ask him, ask him very specifically about his work and his team and it would be nice if the interviewer is asked some questions from you in return.
              I even asked him the answers to most of the questions he asked me and also which I couldn't answer. He clarified my dubts and we had a great time.

Interview Questions
                Very simple interview. Typical HR questions. HR interview was just a formality. Just need to convince him that you won't leave the company and also if going for higher studies, you would go through GE only.
                Smile and be friendly to the HR. Try to be a little informal.

• Power Electronics
                • Electrical Machines
                Be thorough with the projects done and the corresponding fields they are related to.
                Clarify the interviewer about what topics you are not comfortable with.

Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Mathematics
                • Section 2: Quantitative Aptitude
                • Section 3: Core subjects
                There is a preliminary exam comprising 5 papers following which one has to write One Math and Quantitative paper and One or more Core papers depending on the student’’s interest. Core subjects: A. Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics B. Structures C. Controls D. Programming ( Based on C tricks etc ).
                Decent grasp over Math and Quant is good enough. Good knowledge in core subjects mentioned above. Complete grip on knowedge imparted through projects and field work. Do’s: One is advised to take more than one paper in case One is unsure of which paper to take. In this manner, one has high probability of getting shortlisted.

Interview Questions
                  Completely technical based questions depending on which profile they have chosen you for.

Interview Questions
                    If they want to evaluate your knowledge in two or more fields they will tell you to sit for one more round. This may not be compulsory for all. If a person is interested to give tech interview in one more field they conduct this.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Why GE ?
                    • Question 2: Tell us about yourself
                    Frankly, this is fun. Same old questions regarding positives and negatives.
                    Just try and show yourself as an asset to the company in a respectful manner. Be confident. After clearing tech round, this should not be a problem.

• Programming
                    • Quantitative Aptitude
                    CGPA > 8.0, Good knowledge in any of the fields namely, structures, fluid mechanics, controls, tools and programming (tools - Ansys, fluent etc, programming - scientific programming C is a must, any other known programming language would be an added advantage). Decent math & quantitative ability. Proficiency with core subjects. Proficiency with the scientific programming would be of added advantage.
                    Written test isn’t that hard .It’s completely based on fundamentals of the subject. What one has read in 4 years is enough, there’s no need for extra preparation.One should have command over the subjects before turning up for the interview.

GIRAJAVAGOL UDAY MAHADEV Me15m077FresherSelected
                    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Technical (Mechanical)
                    • Section 2: Quantitative
                    • Section 3: Verbal
                    • Section 4: Analytical
                    It was online test. The test was designed by Cocubes. Verbal, analytical and quantitative aptitude (20 questions each) was in one part for 1 hour and technical test (30 questions) was for half hour. Technical test was easy but quantitative was difficult. Calculator was not allowed.
                    Read everything under GATE syllabus (except maths) for technical test. Practice for general aptitude and try to solve fast.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: What is your Favorite subject? Explain the procedure of FEA? What is isoparametric element? Draw stress-strain curve for ductile and brittle materials? Explain important points on curve? Explain different failure criteria? Tell me about your project? and where it can be useful? Tell me about GE.
                    Technical Interview for Mechanical Graduates:
                    GE aviation was on campus.
                    Single person was taking interview.
                    Concentrate on FEA. Prepare basic things like stress-strain curve. Be prepared for tell me about GE. All the candidates shortlisted for HR were good in FEA.

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself. As tennis is my favorite sport, so they asked me to tell qualities of 5 different tennis players? Tell me about your project. Tell me about your last job. What is Edison engineering graduate program? Why aren't you going for higher education?
                    Two persons were taking HR interview.
                    Simple regular HR questions.
                    Be confident. Prepare about GE.

• Section 1: Online test
                    Online test
                    1. 10 questions for quant
                    2. 10 questions from core(had to chose design or thermal)
                    3. Essay type questions like describe your self, why edisons progamme, how will GE help in achieving your goal.
                    Check out last years papers, pretty much same

Interview Questions
                      I was unique than the rest of the others. I guess they saw the spark in me as I really want to contribute to society by doing something valuable, which matters. This coincides with their mission statement and my projects probably displayed the same to them.
                      For design: Mainly FEA in interview in depth knowledge is required, through with all aspect of projects
                      Core: went through all books again. Read summery of topics, went through GATE/IES materials in LAN. Projects All reports, PPts.
                      In depth knowledge, through with your projects and whatever you write in resume. Resume is one of the key things. if not in shortlisting then at least in final interview it will matter a lot. Take help from everyone while writing resume. Take feedback from maximum people all around you. Practice a lot it will boos your confidence. Finally all comes down to your confidence and how you perform in interview.

Interview Questions
                        I was very frank, straight forward and direct. There was a young lady and I was very energetic, talkative and funny, made her laugh, created positive environment.
                        I was focused on Tata motors that day assuming that Tata interview will be resume based. GE interviews are generally very tech based and need to be technically very sound. I had no time to do that.
                        Mock interviews with friends helps

Dont be stressed, chill out. Before interview have proper food/water and most importantly stay in chilled out group of people. Know about the company you are sitting for. Get to know beforehand what they are looking for and then sell yourself in that way. Its all about marketing yourself by projecting your good points with respect to their requirements.

10+15+20 min Minutes
                          • Section 1: Online
                          Online test
                          1)10 questions for Quant/DI (same for everyone)
                          2)10 questions from core (Had to choose Design or Thermal)
                          3)Essay type questions e.g Describe yourself, Why Edisons progamme, How will GE help in achieving your goal?
                          Check out last year's papers, pretty much same

Interview Questions
                            For Design: Mainly FEA in interview-in depth knowledge required, thorough with all aspect of projects.

Interview Questions

I was unique than rest of the others. I guess they saw the spark in me as i really want to contribute to society by doing something valuable, which matters. This coincides with their mission statement and my projects probably displayed the same to them<br /> Core: Went thru all books again. Read summery of topics, went thru GATE/IES materials in Lan. Projects: All reports, ppts Interview: Mock interviews with friends/ IITMAA<br /> GD: Practice with wing-mates,some online sites like www.indiabix.com
                                Core: In depth knowledge, through with your projects and whatever u write in resume. Resume is one of the key things. If not in short-listing then at least in final interview it will matter a lot. Take help from everyone while writing your resume, Take feedback from maximum people all around you.

Practice GD/ Interview a lot, it will boost your confidence. Finally all comes down to your confidence and how you perform in interview. Don't be stressed, chill out. Before interview have proper food/water and most importantly stay in a chilled out group of people.

Know about the company you are sitting for. Get to know beforehand what they are looking for and then sell yourself in that way. It's all about marketing yourself by projecting your good points with respect to their requirements.

General Electric [ GE ] edison engineer interview

Application
                                I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for EDISON Engineer role at General Electric [ GE ]
                                Test Interview Interview Interview Interview

There was a half an hour written test on technical subject. Then there was a test on aptitude questions for half an hour, after which we had an optional test for computer literacy.
                                  The basics have to be clear as they only ask conceptual questions. For aptitude, R.S. Agarwal's book is preferable.

Interview Questions
                                    I had 4 interviews of 25 minutes each.I had 4 interviews of 25 minutes each.

Interview Questions
                                      2nd interview was for programming skills. I was asked to code in OOP concept and also had to write a code for prime numbers

Interview Questions
                                        I was asked about my favourite sport. Since I had mentioned lawn tennis, I was asked questions in the same.

Interview Questions
                                          In the last round, they asked me about GE and questions like why do you want to join, and will you be comfortable with this kind of job etc. I was also asked if i was ready to face the challenges company posed and also if i would not cower down due to the tough environment.

The company was looking basically at candidates with very high conceptual knowledge and a quest to learn. The company wanted to make sure that the candidate would survive in the tough ompetitive environment of GE

• R.S Agarwal,
                                            Just be yourself and honest about what you want from life, job, and yourself. Look into yourself and find out what interests you the most. if you select that company where your interests matches then you may not be the best in that field but you will definitely get selected

MOHAMED SALMAN PETTIWALAFresherSelected

• Section 1: Technical and Aptitude
                                            There where 25 questions of quantative ability , 25 questions of logical reasoning ,25 questions of english language and 30 technical questions related to Mechanical Engineering.
                                            Go through all GATE related mechanical engineering exam related formulas.

Interview Questions
                                            • Question 1: 1) Stress vs strain curve for brittle and ductile material . 2) In finite element method what are shape functions 3) Design a structure which has force at any section because of its self weight but at any section the stress remains constant. 4) What is the difference between weak form solution and strong form solution.
                                            I was asked what was my favorite subject I mentioned strength of material and Finite Element Analysis.
                                            Prepare two subjects very well and try to know everything about those 2 subjects.

Interview Questions
                                            • Question 1: Do you want to pursue PhD. What do you know about General Electric.
                                            The interview was very good . It was a very joyful experience .
                                            Be calm and confident and wear a smile.