Design Engineer

Design Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Thornton Tomasetti design engineer interview

FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for DESIGN ENGINEER role at Thornton Tomasetti
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview

For Thornton Tomasetti, extra-academics does not seem to be a selection criteria. But to be on the safer side, any minor extra-academic involvement is enough, just to show that you’re not a loner whose best friends are just books. Here’s what I had, make what you would of it:
1) Management: Megalith Organising Team Member.
2) SocCult: a) Drummer: Gold in inter-hall. b) Choreo: Silver in inter-hall. c) Member of ETDS.

Thornton Tomasetti shortlisted 4 people based on their resume. Good CG, core internship(s) and projects.
What Thornton Tomasetti wants:
1) A CGPA greater than 8.0
What’s important for core civil engineering jobs:
1) CGPA Matters. Period. For CE, 8.0 and above is bare minimum to get placed in core in the December phase of placements. Other phases, 7 (preferably 7.5) and above should do
2) If you are a B.Tech student with a respectable CGPA, then taking at least 2-3 additional M.Tech courses in your give you an advantage over everyone else who hasn’t done that. It shows your commitment to the department and indirectly, your sincere interest in the job and the company. Plus, saying “I’ll have completed almost all M.Tech courses by the time I finish my B.Tech” gives an amazingly strong impression.

Make your resume look good. There are so many people who make their resume look like a complete mess - improper organization, horrible fonts, arbitrary line-spacing, disrespecting margins and page borders, spelling mistakes and what not. Be professional. Your resume is your first impression (if you’re shortlisted because of it like in Thornton Tomasetti) - and if that’s shabby, then you’re out. Plenty of websites give advice on making resumes, use them.

There was an online video conference which decided who got the job. Chronologically, these questions were asked: 1) Tell us about yourself - where you’re from, family, why civil engineering, why our company.
2) Questions on internship - what exactly did you do, what did you learn etc.
3) Questions on projects - give us a gist of this project that you did, A few more details were asked just to ensure that you have actually worked on the project and haven’t just faked everything.
4) Where do you see yourself 5-10 years from now? My Answer: I see myself as a structural designer/engineer, backed by the fact that I had already done an internship as a designer knew the excitement and challenges of the work.
5) Have you applied for MS? What about plans for future studies? My Answer: No plans because I will have already completed my M.Tech courses by the time I finish B.Tech So I will only go if not having a degree hampers my growth in the company. Otherwise, as far as knowledge goes, I am already at the M.Tech level. They try to convince you that post-graduation is important and you should think about it.
6) Technical questions to check your core knowledge and thinking process. I wasn’t asked these, but I landed the job, whereas other students were asked technical questions, and they were all rejected. So I have no idea what they want. No comments on this.
7) Did you check our company website? Would you like to know anything about us that’s not given there?
1) Wear a tie.
2) Definitely check the company website.
3) Definitely ask a couple of questions to the company to show your interest in the company and eagerness to join it. 4) Stay calm and composed during the interview. Smile at the right times. Learn to politely say “Pardon” instead of blurting out “What?!!!” when you don’t hear what they’re saying properly. Refine the small things which show that you are a man/woman of fine character.

Any structural design firm in India like Thornton needs you to know STAAD Pro, which is taught in your 7th semester anyway. AutoCAD isn’t taught, but you need to know AutoCAD. Softwares like Revit or Tekla Structures would be an advantage, though they’re not necessary at all.
What Thornton wants:

1) Internship in core civil engineering - preferably structural design firms or a site job.

2) Your projects, especially BTP/MTP - they will ask you questions on all the projects. What’s important for core civil engineering

Jobs:

1) Internship definitely matters. The brand name of the company does not matter, instead, the quality of your work there matters. Having a core internship is an advantage over those with an arbitrary non-core internship, no matter how big the brand name behind it.

2) Needless to say, your projects matter. If you have a profile that seems to be inclined towards research because of your projects, then be prepared to answer “Would you like to go for M.Tech/PhD later?” - Answering ‘yes’ means you’re not accepted, answering ‘no’ can show you’re not interested in core. Choose grey areas according to your profile and tread carefully.

Your own personality, command over english, the way you talk etc. They want people who they can have a good working relationship with - not someone who can’t even open his mouth without stuttering. Thornton’s an MNC, so they require some bare minimum standards.

Dover Corporation design engineer interview

Abhinay IyerFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Design Engineer role at Dover Corporation
Test Group Discussion HR Interview

60 mins Minutes
40 Questions questions
  • Section 1: Verbal Reasoning
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 3: Analytical Reasoning
  • Section 4: Assumptions
Basic English Grammar, basic logical reasoning and analytical reasoning questions. 10 questions from each section and no time limit for separate section. Practice for analytical and verbal is required.
Practice is a must and have a cool mindset.

15 min Minutes
Innovative minds are high in India but Innovations are not much. What are the reasons for it ?
Very versatile topic. Lots of points and examples to be said. Our team consisted of 13 people and the discussion was neat. Provide good examples not personal but general examples. Examples are very important.
Be up-to-date with recent topics and be clear with points. Don't confuse or don't be aggressive.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What would be one advice you would provide to improve the company ?
  • Question 2: Why Engineering and Why particularly Mechanical Engineering ?
  • Question 3: Questions regarding my Internship and Projects. Since I had done my B.Tech Project in Volvo India, the interviewer was more interested on that.
  • Question 4: Are you result driven ? Justify with the help of your internship
  • Question 5: Do u like to Win ? Give one example of win and lose each that you have encountered
  • Question 6: Are you a team player ? If yes justify.
  • Question 7: Some more questions regarding win and lose situations.
  • Question 8: Have you encountered any situation where you let others win ?
  • Question 9: Do u like to play fair ? Give an example. [Since I participated in lots of sports this question was asked]
  • Question 10: What kind of a work culture would you like to work in ? And why Dover Corporation ?
I had an opportunity to impress the HR during the Pre-Placement Talk and I was lucky to be called in first for the interview. The HR remembered my face. There were 2 people (HR Team Head and India Innovation Center Director). HR was more concerned on personal experience and the Director was more focused on what results I had achieved in my projects. The Interview lasted for almost 35-40 mins and they made me so comfortable during the process.
Be cool and I feel its an advantage if you are the first to give your interview. Be interactive during the PPT because proverbs are written with experience ["First Impression is the Best Impression"]. Try to speak out and if you have to lie at some instance do it if its worth. And if you have low CGPA please don't show it in your resume. Interviewers tend to ask question only from your CV/resume. Don't give them a chance to point out a low point of yours. At the interview CG never matters. Have complete knowledge on your resume. Don't be confused, tensed or frustrated. Have a smile on the face and be humorous. Interviewers like good and interactive people. Try providing personal experience to justify everything you put on your resume.
First and most important do you background study over the company and be clear about the position you are appearing for.

Check out AmbitionBox to find out different tips. Its really worth.

• A Handbook For Mechanical Engineering By Made Easy Publications,
  • General Aptitude By R S Aggarwal,
Stay cool and never get frustrated.

Wait for your time

Prepare well for aptitude, puzzles and core basics.

The rest is luck. "Ek din hota hai, Ek company hoti hai aur Ek tum ho" believe this phrase. If its your day, nothing will stop you and everything will fall in its path.
Core Job and Campus placement

Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery design engineer interview

Anshuman SinghExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through College placement for Design Engineer role at Tata Hitachi Construction Machinery
Resume and marks basis Test Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview

Resume and marks basis

Your resume should be such, that it should reflect all your qualities.
You should be very good in academics ,like in top 10 in your branch.

• Section 1: Branch specific questions
  • Section 2: Aptitude
Questions are good and they especially focus on hydraulics as well as manufacturing processes as all machines are based on hydraulics.
Basics of hydraulics and manufacturing processes should be crystal clear.

Which type of job is better- public or private??
You should try to start or conclude the GD.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself ??
  • Question 2: Would you go for higher studies??
  • Question 3: Why aren't you doing MBA??
HR people are nice , they check your communication skill as well as your point of view.
They basically take a psychometric test.
You should stick to your answers.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What "are" your favourite subjects??
  • Question 2: Basic questions from all subjects??
  • Question 3: Questions from internship areas??
  • Question 4: Questions from engineering drawing??
Its very rigorous process, of more than 45 minutes where they test everything, your knowledge, practical approach, mental strength and stress bearing capability.

• Haywood For IC Engine,
  • Mechanical Metallurgy,
  • Engineering Thermodynamics : PK Nag,
  • Strength Of Materials By Beer And Jonson,
  • Fluid Mechanics - R.K. Bansal,
Videos
  • Nptel.ac.in,
Be regular and attentive in your class , try to get good marks by gaining knowledge not just by completing the courses
1. Very good salary

2. Market leader in India

Magneti Marelli design engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for DESIGN ENGINEER role at Magneti Marelli
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

Ist round was writtn round, no neg marking (easy but be accurate),
total questions-90 (divided into 3 section) ,time alloted-90 min.
3 sections r as follows:-
sec A - 30 ques, technical(subjects including EDC,AIC,DLD,basic BEE)
sec B- 15 GK+15 quant(RS agrwal is more than enough )
sec C- 30 ques, bacis C and C++ (very easy)
they will judge u section wise
Most IMPORTANT part of placement is WRITTEN round, we were around 60-70 students in total and out of which only 7 were selected for further rounds
i suggest u all to prepare very well for this round and try to b very accurate,
solve RS agrawal or arun sharma(level 1 and solved question only) for quantitative aptitude, and for C questions solve from online site INDIABIX , you will find all questions are come from here only

Next is PI technical and questions asked to me :-
1)Tell me about urself(do include brief intro about your internship if u have done any otherwise no problem)
2)About my internship

suddenly he started asked question from C-
3)what is BIT FIELD?, MACROS? ,PREPROCESSOR? ,EXTERN?
4)Diff btw char array and int array?

then he switched to embedded system-
5)What are INTERRUPT?, EEPROM? , BAUD RATE?
6)About my Projects(i suggest u to all tell project related to embedded only)
7)FAV subject and question from it (do prepare atleast 2 subjects very well)
8)What is electronics, Telecommunication?
9)diff btw ETNT AND ECE?

then he asked some HR questions too:-
10)what is your STRENGTH AND WEAKNESS(support your answer with example)
11)where do u see urslf 5 yr from now?
12) hobby?
13) low pointer?
then he asked me to ask question:
i have asked 2 question:
14)who is your biggest competitor?
15)what is the hierarchy of this job post?
1ST TECHNICAL
They will focus on 2 things only :
1)C(most imp) : even it is a core elex company but they will not going to take you if you dont know C,
must learn dis topics viz ARRAY, POINTER, STRUCTURE, 4 storage class,from yashwant kanetkar and solve question from INDIABIX

2) PROJECTS: Projects on EMBEDDED SYSTEMS only, as many projects as u have greater is the chance of your selection and try to explain it in detail as much as u can.

its just a formality round if they called you for this round that means u r selected ,they just wanted to know if u r really interested for this job? and u willing to join there company or not..

2 kind of people can crack interviews in core companies,1 having good POINTERS , projects,good technical knowledgesecond having low pointer but MANY PROJECTS+GOOD TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE +CONFIDENCENo doubt i lie on second criteria. After 6th sem my CPI was 7.61 only , therefore i already knew that its gonna be tuff for me to be selected in core company but i have done 10+ projects in EMBEDDED SYSTEMS and INTERNSHIP too, so i found it not a big deal for me,always remember CONFIDENCE is the key..best of luck m/

Freescale Semiconductor design engineer interview

SabaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at BIT Mesra for Design Engineer role at Freescale Semiconductor

1 hr 45 min Minutes
  • Section 1: Technical Section(Written Round)
Questions were from Digital Electronics,Microprocessors and some from CMOS.
50% Digital Electronics.
1 X Output waveform drawing from circuit of FFs & gates
1 X Realize inverter from given two blocks
1 X CMOS implementation of gates
1 X Realize digital circuit for given waveform
1 X MIPS & Pipelining
1 X Processors power Dissipation calculation
1 X Small Signal analysis of CMOS
1 X Compare two given buffers circuits(CMOS)
1 X Transfer function calculation(Control Theory)
1 X Counter using JK FF
1 X Sequence Detector
Study digital electronics very well.

Indroduction
MIPS
Memory(flash memory,DRAM,SRAM)
CACHE Memory
DMA
Digital circuit realization for given waveform
XOR Gate using 2:1 MUX
Prepare Digital electronics and Microprocessors very well.Sta is very important.Panel will go deep into the topics to check ur technical knowledge.
TIPS: Be confident and your opinion should be strong.Stand by what you say.Do not get confused.And when panel asks to solve any digital circuits, speak loud what is in your mind and what approach you are using.Be honest.

Family Background
Why Freescale

• Gaonkar,
  • C H Roth,
  • Digital Circuits (Morris Mano),
  • Microelectronic Circuits By Sedra And Smith,
I had interest in core electronics

Beceem Communications design engineer interview

B. Pavan KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Design Engineer role at Beceem Communications

• Section 1: Aptitude
There were some basic questions on probability theory, digital communication (mainly wireless communication, like problem on GSM, CDMA, and OFDM). Some questions were from DSP (like DFT etc.). Basics of information theory (EE 624) should be clear; there were some questions on calculating capacity of a Gaussian channel, differential entropy etc. A single problem from C programming was there and it was very simple.
Two sections : 1) VLSI 2) Communications

For VLSI stream we had to solve only the first section.

Type of questions and details :
Questions were a mix of digital and analog.
Most of the questions were on digital logic design.
1) Given a current mirror circuit we had to identify and calculate what is the current through one MOS Transistor.
2) Question on timing analysis-setup time, hold time ----this very important---you have to be very clear in this concept. Frequently asked.
3) Question on Op Amp. It was an integrator …had to calculate output voltage.
4) Many questions were on logic design.
5) Questions on devices like if doping increased, how would the other parameters vary..?

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Thesis-based questions
  • Question 2: Project-based questions
  • Question 3: What would you do to remove Setup violation, hold violation?
  • Question 4: Do you know about verilog?
  • Question 5: Questions based on timing analysis
View 1: He asked me most of the questions on my thesis and my previous projects and term papers (related to wireless communication). I was also asked about viterbi decoders, OFDM and MIMO (my thesis was on MIMO).
View 2: Questions were mostly on timing analysis.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Are you interested in persuing PhD. ?

Be well prepared with both digital and analog. You must know Verilog.

• Rabaey (Chapter 10 mainly),
  • EE 320(PROBABILITY AND BASIC COMMUNICATION THEORY),
  • EE 621(PROBABILTY AND RANDOM PROCESS),
  • EE 624(INFORMATION THEORY AND CODING),
  • EE670 (WIRELESS COMMUNICATION),
One should try to keep himself focused during the whole time of written test and interview. Basics of probability theory and communication theory should be very clear.

Freescale Semiconductor design engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Design Engineer role at Freescale Semiconductor

1hr 15 min Minutes
  • Section 1: Subjective paper
Questions were from digital Electronics which included realization of counters using JK FF,Sequence detector,Boolean expression reduction,One shot and drawing waveforms of some digital circuits.Questions were also their from pipelinig,finding out MIPS,power consumption of two processors,Small signal analysis of MOSFETs,Buffer using CMOS ,finding out the type of filter given block diagram(control theory).Questions were easy and required step by step realization.
Prepare digital Electronics very well as it has 50% weightage in paper. Pipelinig is important. Some basics concepts of CMOS is very necessary.

First they asked to introduce yourself.
Then they asked about projects & Internship.
STA,EEPROM,EPROM,DRAM,SRAM,CACHE Memory,Pipelining,DMA was asked in depth.
Difference between clock skew and Jitter.
Asked whether I know any Hardware Languages.
XOR gate using 2:1 MUX.
Gave a waveform,had to realize using DFF and considering the delay.
Study STA very well.
Questions will be asked in depth from any topic.

Family Background

• sedr,
  • Digital Circuits (Morris Mano),

TCS design engineer interview

SAGAR SHAHFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surat for DESIGN ENGINEER role at TCS
Resume Shortlist Test HR Interview Technical Interview

CRITERIA:6.5+ CGPANO BACKLOGS
TRY TO WORK HARD IN THE EARLIER SEMESTERS TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR MOST OF THE COMPANIES.

• Section 1: TECHNICAL + APTITUDE
30 TECHNICAL QUESTIONS, PURELY BRANCH SPECIFIC, EASY AND BASIC CONCEPTS WERE ASKED.30 APTITUDE AND ENGLISH QUESTIONS, VERY EASY
PREPARE TECHNICAL PART WELLPRACTICE APTITUDE AND ENGLISH FROM www.indiabix.comVERY HELPFUL WEBSITE

GENERAL QUESTIONS WERE ASKED:ABOUT MYSELFFAMILY BACKGROUNDSCHOOLING AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTSABOUT JOINING TCE
DON'T MANIPULATE THE TRUTH.ANSWER CLEARLY AND CONFIDENTLY.

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS RELATED TO ELECTIVE SUBJECTS WERE ASKED.ALSO DESIGN STEPS OF VARIOUS STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS WERE ASKED.
BE PREPARED. SAY "DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER" INSTEAD OF SPEAKING NONSENSE. ANSWER ONLY WHAT IS ASKED. EXTRA INFO GIVEN BY YOU CAN GET YOU IN UNWANTED TROUBLE!! :P

MAIN FOCUS ON THE WAY YOU COMMUNICATE WITH THE INTERVIEWERS IN ENGLISH!!

• HANDBOOK IN CIVIL ENGINEERING BY MADEEASY PUBLICATIONS,
BEST OF LUCK.
GOOD REPUTATION. IT WAS EXACTLY MATCHING TO THE JOB PROFILE I ASPIRED FOR.TATA GROUP IS A BIG BRAND IN INDIA AND CAN LEAD TO MANY FUTURE BENEFITS IF YOU SERVE THEM FOR CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME.
THEY ASKED ME: "ANY SUGGESTION FOR IMPROVING OUR SELECTION PROCEDURE?"I ANSWERED: "YOU SHOULD CHANGE IT. TEST SHOULD BE ONLINE RATHER THAN BEING OFFLINE i.e. PEN AND PAPER."THEY WERE IMPRESSED AND APPRECIATED IT. :P

Texas Instruments design engineer internship interview

Sai Vihari ChaturvedulaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Design Engineer role at Texas Instruments
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

Resume is not given any due importance in selection for further rounds . But honesty is very important as it counts once you are selected for HR round .
Try to be one hundred percent honest . And put your projects and course work in the beginning. They don't care your POR s and extra curricular activities.

90 - Signal Processing Minutes
120 - Hardware and aptitude questions
  • Section 1: Hardware
  • Section 2: Hardware
Hardware - Questions are mainly from ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS (RLC ckts) , Analog ckts. Amplifiers , Opamps , digital system design . Aptitude section is very easy . Hardware section is tough .I felt Signal processing was easier , indeed I got selected for that profile .
Prepare thoroughly these courses :- EMC , DIGITAL SYSTEMS, NETWORKS AND SYSTEMS,ANALOG & DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING , ANALOG CKTS COURSES .THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH .

SILABTECH design engineer interview

Nanda KumarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for DESIGN ENGINEER role at SILABTECH
Test Other Interview Other Interview

1st round written paper completely technical and from the basic you learnt in ECE.

Other Interview

2nd Round face to face interview with 6 candidates getting selected for the interviews.

Other Interview

3rd Round Skype interview with the Digital team.

Preparation at least for the digital domain is the basics of digital electronics and a good knowledge of counters, timers, flipflops, timing diagrams and parasitics. Their questions are mainly based on the kind of work they do which is specialization in high speed interconnects. i.ecommunication lines that operate at 1GHZ or higher so you can look up those.
To sum it up in one sentence the task of getting into a startup is a high risk and high reward strategy. If it works out you will go miles ahead of your friends Otherwise start afresh.And from a personal experience it was a very rewarding experience. Unlike other companies where they send some random HR person, here you had the head of the company coming over and taking your interviews is a whole different experience.
Well firstly its a start up by an alumnus of our college, ECE batch of 2002. Mainly Its a pure EC startup and the guys behind it are people each with over 10 years experience in the field. Right now, the company is in a purple patch and is doing well. And in general the idea about start-ups. Startups have major up and downs which I wish some one would have told me. PROs-1.Very open workspace and less barriers. 2.very quick growth (you grow as fast as your company), so pick one which has a good growth plan. 3.very good work experience which will help you get future jobs.  4.more importance given to each individual. CONs- 1. less recognition as the company is not famous. 2.salary will not be at par with the big corporates. 3. you don't get the rewards usual company people do. 4.uncertainty in the job.