Data analyst

Data analyst Interview Questions and Tips

American Express data analyst internship interview

Raunak ChitlangiaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Data Analyst role at American Express
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview

My resume had a couple of projects and a paper publication added to it, which was a part of my second year intern at TCS Innovation Labs.
I believe that the resume shortlist to appear for the test is just a formality and not a big deal to get through. Most of the students are allowed to appear for the test which is where, the main shortlisting occurs.
Although, the company does cut off people from certain departments. For example, none of the Agriculture and food engineering students were shortlisted for appearing for the test.
Also, from what I have heard, the company runs resumes through a program to take out the shortlist. Hence, certain key words such as "Scholar" or "Conference" may get you a good chance to get through the shortlisting.

• Section 1: Analytical
The test is mainly quant based and how fast you can think and rationalize. They expect excellent speed; they ask you 20 questions to be answered in 30 minutes.
Normally, if a student is asked to appear for this right after his JEE examination, he would be able to get through it easily. But since our analytical thinking goes way down once we actually get in, it has to be worked upon again. I'd suggest you to solve all the quant questions of any CAT preparatory book for the American Express test. The test questions are quite similar to those that the CAT students prepare for.

In general, the American Express interviews are considered to be pretty peaceful compared to the interviews of other companies. I was just asked about my work at TCS Innovation Labs and the paper I would be publishing based on that work and the courses I have done in Data Analytics and what all do I know in it. They do not test the knowledge you say you possess.
While I was preparing for my interview, I was told to read about Amex and its products. Secondly, and most importantly, I was aksed to read a lot about credit card frauds and suggest ways of preventing that. Even during my time, a lot of people were asked about this and judged severely on that. This is a must must if you would be appearing for its interview.

Also, you would do well if you are able to connect with the interviewer. For instance, if both of you have been a part of the same inter IIT or have the same tastes, etc.

Also, the interviews are that peaceful that you are able to direct the interview in your favour. There are certain parts of your CV that you can easily talk about and certain parts that you would want to avoid. If you are able to think on your feet, it is easy to re direct the interview in your favour and the things that you would like to talk about; in my case, it was my work at TCS.

Puzzle Interview

The main decision whether you have to be taken in or not is decided in your first round of interview after which, the puzzle interview is just a formality and to find out whether you are able to think on your feet or not. Not a big deal, pretty easy.
Nothing to be worried about, the puzzles asked are pretty easy and most probably, you would have already heard them if you have a nag of solving puzzles.

You should be able to code efficiently. Knowledge in Python and SQL is a big plus.<br /> Also, I had done a course on Coursera called "Machine Learning" of Stanford University. Today, the company does not expect a lot of knowledge in Data Analytics from students which is why this course gave me the edge I needed to get through the interview. It's a pretty easy course and not very demanding. I would recommend this if you want to find out even whether you'd be interested in Data Analytics or not.<br /> I was asked about the things I know and whether I have ever implemented them.

• CAT Data Interpretation By Arun Sharma,
  • Data Interpretation And Logical Reasoning By Arun Sharm,
  • Machine Learning - Coursera Course,
Do not worry or stress yourself much. The interview is pretty easy if you have an edge in the skills that the company wants. I had started studying Data Analytics in my second year summer vacations, just 1 hour a day for hardly about a month. Which gave me enough of an edge. The main hurdle lies in getting through the test round where about 300 people are simply cut off.
American Express is known to have a good working culture and is currently the third best company to work for in India. The internship stipend is largest compared to any other company in India along with accommodation and travel. The company has a well structured internship program and also has good challenging work to offer.
After the test, I was not shortlisted for the interview round.. Which broke my heart.

Just after the presentation, I walked up to the person presenting and handed him a hard copy of my resume asking him to at least give me a shot at the interview if they think my profile is good enough.

I believe that this was a turning point of this entire experience. I believe, at that moment itself, I gained their favour to take me in. Which is probably why my interview was peaceful, which is probably why I could get through even though my interview was the last among a bunch of 25 students..

DataRPM data analyst internship interview

Nevin KollanoorFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Data Analyst role at DataRPM
Technical Interview HR Interview Technical Interview

First round was rather peaceful. Questions were emphasized on my coursework and a few on my projects. Knowledge and grip on basic concepts is tested here.
I believe clarity on Probability and Statistics, frankly admitting I didn't know when asked on unfamiliar concepts got me through this interview.

It was HR cum Technical. Questions varied from my hobbies to clear details on one of my previous internships. Interviewer was happy about extra-acads. No much cross questioning was involved except for what-why-how queries on PORs and on one internship
Nothing to worry about. Being thorough with CV and keeping calm should get you through this provided your profile is good.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why DataPRM
  • Question 2: Why Datascience?
  • Question 3: What do you know about datascience?
It was thorough technical interview. I was grilled upon all my previous internships and projects. Questions involved reasoning and cross questioning for almost every assumption in my projects/internships. Interview was concluded with above questions asking for justification in my interest.
Interviewer was very knowledgeable and was satisfied only upon proper justification for various details of my projects. Being thorough with your CV is a must. Revision of previous works before the interview is highly recommended.

• Introduction to Statistical Learning with R,
Decent projects/internships and good knowledge in machine learning is a must. This was the focus of all the three interviews.

Practo data analyst interview

Pratik ChaudhariExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Personal Contacts for Data Analyst role at Practo
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview

Sent resume to an HR through Linkedin and got the call for interview

Had 3 rounds of technical interviews with Product Owner, Product Manager and VP Product. Most of the questions were related to maths, statistics and a few on machine learning. Even though I did not have much background on these, I was asked to give my inputs and try to find a solution. We discussed recommendation engines for Quora, Linkedin and e-commerce websites. Then they asked me how can we remove the bias that comes in the practo ratings of the doctors due to feedback from various channels. How can we identify if the customer is booking an appointment by looking at reviews or ratings? How can we identify spam reviews before publishing them? How can we build a product which can help users write a better quality review? Most of the questions were related to data science and how we can improve the products using data. The data analyst role for which I was being interviewed, was a first of its kind role in Practo. The JD was to basically work with the product team and help them in improving products, building new features etc. using data science/ data analytics.
being the leader of the healthcare industry, high growth startup, opportunity to solve interesting problems using data

PayPal data analyst interview

AKASH KUMAR SINGHFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Data Analyst role at PayPal
Test Puzzle Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Around 20 MCQ's and 1 coding question
The coding question was:
Given a binary string containing 0's and 1's. You can split the string such that each partition should be a exponential of 5 (1,5,25,625...). You were asked to return minimum number of partition for the given string such each partition is exponential of 5. If no such partition exists return -1.
Examples: '101101101' Ans: 3 (101, 101, 101)
'111' Ans: 3 (1,1,1)
10101 Ans: -1
For MCQ's prepare DSA, OS and Networking. For DSA you can refer to cormen
For Coding question practice on either geeksforgeeks or from any of the coding platforms like hackerrank
The shortlist was mainly dependent on coding question

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Probability , question on calculating expected number of trials and puzzles
Do lot of puzzles from heard on the street, http://gurmeet.net/puzzles/ , Try to search for more. It will be helpful in other interviews as well

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: For this round he gave me lot of problems and asked to develop optimal algorithm to solve that. Problems were mainly on trees and number sequences
Practice algorithm section from geeksforgeeks. There are lot of standard problems. The given questions were slightly modified version of standard problems

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: In this round he mainly discussed my projects and asked me how these can be put to use in Paypal. He also asked some basic questions from ML.
For this round you need to be well prepared with your projects and resume.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: HR round was just for formality

Saggezza data analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Data Analyst role at Saggezza
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

It was a CGPA shortlist. All students with above 7 CGPA were shortlisted

There were 3 sections. Coding, Quantitative aptitude and Verbal ability, with 15 questions(mcq) each. Coding was based on java. Total score was considered for the shortlist to the next round
Knowing Java is not necessary. Just do the other 2 sections well, that is enough to move to the next round

Groups of 8 were made and 2-3 were chosen from each group

Basic coding (C++) and many analytical and logical questions were asked. This round was mainly to judge the analytical skills of the candidate

It was just a 5 minute interview. The results will be mostly based on the technical round performance. Very general HR questions were asked in this round

LatentView Analytics data analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Data Analyst role at LatentView Analytics
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

The questions were of medium to high difficulty. What set this test apart was the fact that each question had different weightage ranging from 0.5 to 3 marks per question. Time was a major factor. So my strategy was to attempt all the 1 and 1.5 marks questions which constitute the major chunk of the paper in around 40 minutes and spend the remaining 20 minutes for the 2 and 3 mark questions. I did not even bother reading the 0.5 mark questions. The 2 and 3 mark questions were difficult and those will differentiate you from others. 1600 students wrote the test and only 86 got shortlisted for the next round.

I was asked to write a C program to print the Fibonacci sequence and a basic SQL query. Apart from this I was asked a puzzle and other questions related to my resume. Out of the 86, only 26 students were called for the next round which again was a technical interview.

This was similar to the first technical interview. I had to write a C program to print the prime numbers between 1 and 100 and a puzzle was asked again. Apart from this a guesstimate to find the number of cars between 2 places was asked and a scenario based question too was asked. These were followed by resume related questions.

All the 26 students who attended the second technical round were allowed to attend HR round as well. This was just for 4 - 5 minutes. I was asked about my family background and why I should be hired. My fondest memories from school days were asked too. Finally offer letter was given to 10 students out of the 1600 who wrote the test :P
Just keep a calm head and attempt the questions. Ask for time to think if you are not able to answer the questions immediately. Be bold and confident. That is sufficient :)

Enfrien Solutions data analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Data Analyst role at Enfrien Solutions
Technical + HR Interview Technical Interview

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions about B-tech project and Machine learning
  • Question 2: Tell me the course which you are good at ?
  • Question 3: Tell about about data analytics projects in 2 minuites of each project
  • Question 4: How data analytics is used in our organisation
Interview was mostly about technical questions , and course work I did .
I said i am good at linear algebra & probability so they asked me question related to this topic
being a startup they look for people who have knowledge in domain .
so the projects that you did in analytics matters a lot .
study one course completely before attending interview because they will ask you questions related to this topic.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: All questions are about data analytics ( regression , classification ,clusturing ,PCA )
They started with basic questions like what is data analytics and tell me the impact of this field in real life .
At last they will give you one problem related to analytics and asks you to find the approach in solving
if you want to be an data analyst study the concepts well before interview

JP Morgan India data analyst interview

AnonymousFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Data Analyst role at JP Morgan India
Case Study Interview Test Stress Interview

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Select any five companies you would invest in and why given the required metrics.
We were first taught the basics of operations involved in working with an investment bank. Based on the workshop we were given a case study with a list of companies to select the one's which are potencial candidates for investments. We were all divided into groups of 5 students.

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 3: Technical Aptitude
  • Section 4: Economical Aptitude
  • Section 5: Write a review in some words on some current topic.
The test was basic. Economical aptitude requires prior knowledge of economics concepts. The review topicwas GST bill.

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions based on case study.
  • Question 2: Detailed discussions on the indian economy?
  • Question 3: Brexit vote and how it would effect the indian economy?
It is important to be aware about the current events and economies.

CapitalVia data analyst interview

Salman HaiderFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at Dr. KNMIET for Data Analyst role at CapitalVia
Test Group Discussion HR Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude
  • Section 2: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 3: English
Written Test based on which students were shortlist

Is Indian Youth Confident or Confused

Analytics Quotient data analyst interview

D AnveshFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Data analyst role at Analytics Quotient
Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Only data interpretation

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Asked questions on my minor mainly on marketing management .basic HR like tell about yourself etc.
  • Question 2: Case Study- Estimate the market in India for launching a luxurious watch
Along with this the case study is also given to me.
They asked a case study related to introduction of a product into new market
Speed is important in calculations

I have done good in GD, So may be they look on it.

• CAT materials,
Prepare for HR questions properly and be thorough with your resume

By the end of 2nd year get a clear idea of what you are interested in and start working on it