Core Engineering

Core Engineering Interview Questions and Tips

Eaton core engineering internship interview

, 6.2k views
Arnab PaulFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Core Engineering role at Eaton
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

I was selected for Internship Role at Eaton from Mechanical Engineering Department at IIT Madras.
Resume Shortlist was done based on top 10 CGPA for the desired role. They had separate shortlists for Mechanical Role (Engineering Design + Mechanical Engineering) and Electrical Role.
Usually a CGPA of above 8.6-8.7 keeps you on the safer side although students with CGPA of 7.5-8 were shortlisted for Electrical Role as the company came very late into the semester and most of the electrical students got interns.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Speak about your projects
  • Question 2: Why Diesel Engines have higher compression ratio than SI engines
  • Question 3: Why did you participate in Choreo Night (extra-curricular)
  • Question 4: Would you join Eaton after your graduation
The interview started off by briefing about my projects and internship. Then he asked few questions about the courses that I had mentioned. This was following by few common questions like what do you want to do in future, will you join Eaton after graduation and which department do you want to work at Eaton.
Then unexpectedly , he asked me about why did I dancing in the college ( I mentioned about it in the extra-curricular) which put me in the front seat and the reason impressed him.
Be thorough with your resume and be confident in what you are speaking.
Do not stop your flow which gives the interviewer a chance to grill you. Hence, even if you give wrong answers to the questions, at the end of the day, it is the healthy conversation that stays with him.
Give them a reason that you will be staying in the company.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself and your past
  • Question 2: Tell me something that you DO NOT want to do in future
  • Question 3: What do you want to do after 5 years?
  • Question 4: Tell some recent advancements in the core field and/or current affairs
  • Question 5: Why do you want this internship and what were your expectations from this interview?
Frankly, HR interview wasn't the best of the interviews I had till now. I got grilled at each and every answer that I gave.
The interview started off well with discussions about where I lived, about my family and what all places did I visit (I told him I like travelling. Then he moved on to serious questioning.
Since, I am not uncertain about my future, I came out blank for Question 2. I made up an answer then and there itself which didn't impress him. However, upon telling him that I would prefer doing managerial roles in the future, he kept on asking me whether I would pursue MBA or not.
To test my authenticity, he asked me the first part of Question 4. I remained puzzled after hearing this and instead, told him about the current affairs.
As I was about to leave, he asked me the last question, where I told him about what my interests are as of now which I want to pursue later in my career and gave him the reason for my uncertainity in the plans about my future.
I think my credentials, Resume and HONESTY saved the day.
The first question is common for all, hence tell him something that is unusual and is only specific for you.
Be EXTREMELY sure about why you are applying for a core industry in the future. Even if you are not, be prepared with why you want to pursue a job in the technical field. If you have a different answer to that, be ready with the counter questions.
It may happen that the interview won't proceed as expected and you may tend to fumble in between. Be confident and honest with your answers and don't change in between.

• Thinking Under Pressure
  • Honesty
  • Communication
  • Technical Skill And Speaking Skill
  • Core Mechanical Concepts
Be prepared for the courses that you mention in your resume
I told them in my tech interview that dancing helped me reduce weight. He couldn't believe his eyes when I told him that I weighed 90 kg once :p<br />
I was handling Eaton as part of the technical festival of my college.<br />
Hence, my HR interview started like- " No we aren't here to discuss Shaastra ( annual tech fest of IIT Madras)

Eaton core engineering interview

, 7.2k views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Core Engineering role at Eaton
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

Keep your resume short and concise. Avoid writing unnecessary stuff. Although I feel pointers criteria was the only consideration, but short and to the point resume will help you in interview.

Interview was pretty much on my extra curricular-projects and MTP+BTP. Since I worked on automobile suspensions in my 3rd and 4th year, I was asked deep and conceptual question on suspension systems. Technical Interview starts with tell me about yourself and switches to projects and then few question in general about your stream.
Just make sure you let the interviewer know your strengths and knowledge in few parts of the subject. If you are confident and fully prepared to sail the interviewer through your projects and answer all the difficult questions asked, then make it a point to drag the interviewer on to your projects. Technical + Team working Projects like BAJA or Effi are always a plus point.

Same repetitive question. Its a easy interview to crack if you have prepared before hand with lot of situations in mind for each behavioral questions. Maintain consistency in your answers or they will catch you lying and then its very difficult to recover.
Don't blabber long stories on every question. It doesn't matter how much you speak, what matters is the content. So have different SAR (situation- approach- Result) for different HR questions. Be prepared for unheard question and just maintain your poise when put under some heat. Although Eaton's HR are pretty calm and soft spoken.

• Extra-curricular Activities
  • Speaking Skills
  • Technical Understanding

Tower Research Capital core engineering interview

, 481 views
Shikhar MurtyFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for Core Engineering role at Tower Research Capital in Dec, 2016
Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview Technical Interview

2 Hours
  • Section 1: Programming
  • Section 2: OS/Networks
  • Section 3: Discrete Math
  • Section 4: Algorithms
The written test was basically meant to screen people. It had easy problems in programming, moderately hard OS problems, reasonably hard discrete math and moderately hard algorithms.
Read CLRS/Cracking the coding interview for Algorithms/Programming.

Revise your OS course thoroughly as a lot of problems were from OS.

Also brush up on C++

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Check if a graph has a unique Topological sort
  • Question 2: Check if a string containing parenthesis is balanced

Puzzle Interview

2 puzzles were asked based on probability/discrete maths.

Discussed projects listed in my resume, along with lots of OS problems. Also asked some problems on C++ (related to computer architecture more than C++ syntax)
Make sure your OS skills are sharp and revise what you did for your projects.

• Programming
  • OS Architecture
  • Algorithmic Approach To Problem Solving
  • Puzzle Solving Capability

Eaton core engineering internship interview

, 6.2k views
Aman VermaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Core Engineering role at Eaton
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview HR Interview

My projects and internship matched with profile of the company
Make sure u have experince in the field if not very thorough with the coursework

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Run through CV
  • Question 2: Explain the project
  • Question 3: Some insights of the projects / technology used
  • Question 4: what did u learn from the project

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell about yourself
  • Question 2: Do u believe in numbers / people ?
  • Question 3: why eaton ?
  • Question 4: why were u not chosen in previous companies?
  • Question 5: what drives you ?

1) Never ever think whether u will make it to the end or not <br />
2) Result is not in your hands<br />
3) What is in your hands is preparation<br />
4) Do not go to sell yourself, rather research what the company expects from u, what do u have in common with the company

Reliance core engineering internship interview

, 1.8k views
Vignesh NvFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Core Engineering role at Reliance
Test Test

• Section 1: Aptitude
It contained basic aptitude questions like age, time, speed , distance questions and there was also around 5 to 6 verbal questions were there.
Speed and accuracy both are important in this test. Try to do aptitude as fast as u can

• Section 1: Technical test
The test contained questions from mass transfer , CRE, themodynamics , fluid mechanics. Special focus was on distillation columns.
Solve previous year gate questions it will be more than enough for this part.
It is a simple test, be calm and composed surely u will crack it.
It is the biggest petrochemical company in India and i wanted to work in the field of separation technologies so I applied for this company
None

Caterpillar Inc core engineering internship interview

, 3.8k views
Deepanath CFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Core Engineering role at Caterpillar Inc
Resume Shortlist HR Interview Technical Interview

I got shortlisted after the first round i.e., Resume shortlist and during my interview I got to know that my resume was the sole responsible for my selection itself.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: Explain your resume

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is casting, forging, etc?
  • Question 2: How will you choose which manufacturing process will be used for a product?

• Knowledge Of MS Office
  • 3D Modelling Software Skills
  • Publications

Caterpillar Inc core engineering internship interview

, 3.8k views
Gokul NairFresherSelected
Application

First , they asked questions based on my resume , the projects I had done e.t.c. They also asked me a few questions about CREO and MATLAB

Then they gave two problem statements related to the work we were to do during the intern and asked us to give some suggestions for a solution.
Go formally dressed . Also, be chill , interviewers will be quite informal and you can have a relaxed conversation. Do not lie in your resume or claim to have skills you do not. They will find out.
Do not lie in your resume or during your interview. If you are honest and sincere in trying to solve the questions they ask during the interview, you will do great.

Reliance core engineering interview

, 360 views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Core Engineering role at Reliance in Apr, 2016
Test HR Interview

1 Hours
  • Section 1: Aptitude test had general logical questions, puzzles and all.
  • Section 2: Technical had questions regarding heat engines, heat pump, etc. in particular
We had to fill basic questions regarding that company which doesn't as such required any prior preparation. The questions were limited to 'Why Reliance ?' and such stuff. We also had to attach a photograph on this form/sheet.
For the test there were cutoff marks for both the sections and you have to complete both successfully. No CG criteria was there in this test selection.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: *Technical Interview About heat and mass transfer
They started by the 'introduce yourself' question. Then they came to core questions - questions about different types of heat pumps used in the industry, knowledge about heat engine & carnot cycle. CRE basic question like % of excess oxygen in methane combustion. Questions abot pressure drop in a pipeline, basic factors affecting the pressure drop and such stuff. They also asked questions and grilled about cyclone separator beacuse that was related to my internship. Lastly they gave 4 different sector options and the preference of me in joining them - R&D, New projects, Already existing projects, and one another. I did one research intern, so they asked whether or not I wanted to pursue higher studies.

Nvidia core engineering internship interview

, 3.6k views
PradeepFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Core Engineering role at Nvidia
Resume Shortlist Test

The Resume shortlist was purely based on CGPA. The CGPA cutoff was about 8.1. There was no shortlist exam.

• Python
  • C Programming
  • Microprocessor Basics

• Embedded Systems,
  • Computer Architecture,
  • C Programming Language Courses,
Prior experience in the field of embedded systems is preferred. Doing a project/intern in this field adds advantage.

PWC core engineering interview

, 386 views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Core Engineering role at PWC in Apr, 2016
Test Resume Shortlist HR Interview

1 Hours
  • Section 1: Mental Aptitude

They had a priority order which was based on our test scores and I was second. Given that the job involved a lot of travel, they were more interested in seeing how well I would fit (Eg: How do you feel about travel?) in the role. Unless I hit rock bottom in the interview I felt they would have taken me

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: (Eg Tell me what you know about PwC; What do you think went wrong during the floods in Chennai and what could have been done instead?)
The final round was focusing on how well I would fit into the company. I feel that they wanted to take me after the first round itself as the second round was more of a casual chat with the interviewer.
I googled the company and saw what they do and what they have been doing lately. It was announced that I was selected ten minutes before I had to give the interview so I couldn't do much. That little amount of prep actually helped
This is the alert