Cognitive Data Scientist

Cognitive Data Scientist Interview Questions and Tips

IBM cognitive data scientist interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Cognitive Data Scientist role at IBM
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview

Self-explanatory
Courses in ML, probab would be a plus.

• Section 1: Aptitude
It was a mix of aptitude, quant and technical questions

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What do you know about the company and the profile ?
  • Question 2: Which programming language are you familiar with ? Do you know R ?
  • Question 3: What is Machine Learning ?
  • Question 4: Is it true that statistical models and Machine Learning are the same ?
  • Question 5: What makes you special to this profile ?
  • Question 6: What makes you unique for the corporate world ?
  • Question 7: Tell me more about ML
  • Question 8: Folded my resume and asked what is the surface area of this ?
I first told the interviewer about what I knew about the role and IBM. Added stuff about IBM Watson. He probed further about that. I told him I didn't know the details but threw in a guess about it being similar to Amazon Web services. Luckily I was right. He asked the basic funda about ML. Explained stuff to him. About the statistical models vs ML question, I emphasized that statistical models might be the core of ML, but ML encompasses details about the whole process. Special to profile - Said I have requisite theoretical as well as practical know-how. Talked about projects provided practical knowledge. Unique for corp. world - Talked about how I am a teamplayer by being a part of a lot of teams throughout insti time. He then asked, how would you tackle a bully. I said zero tolerance to bullies in my team. Then asked how would you tackle a bully who is your senior/client - Said I will be diplomatic as there is a tradeoff between how I can minimize abuse and how much damage it will cause. But, will make sure that I start small and then push for larger changes. Then asked more about ML - Told him about Supervised, unsupervised, RL, Deep. Surface area - standard guesstimate stuff
If you have done a course in ML, you will sail through. This time it looks like they were trying to expand their team

Avinash Arya Ee15m025FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for COGNITIVE DATA SCIENTIST role at IBM
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: ONLINE TEST
APTITUDE QUESTIONS AND BUSINESS ENGLISH WRITING QUESTIONS
PREPARE WELL AND MAKE YOUR CALCULATION FAST

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY COGNITIVE?
COMPANY PROFILE
UNDERSTANDING ABOUT YOUR ROLE

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE EXTREMELY GOOD AT ELECTRICAL ENGG?
I WAS GIVING MY EE EXAMPLES TO CORROBORATE MY IDEAS, SO THEY WANTED TO KNOW WHETHER I AM GOING TO WORK FOR THIS OR NOT.
BE HONEST, DON'T LIE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF JOB. THE ROLE WHICH SUITS YOU MOST WILL AUTOMATICALLY COME TO YOU, JUST BEING YOURSELF. MOREOVER, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO MUG UP ANYTHING AND IT WOULD BE BEST TO EXPRESS YOURSELF.

IBM cognitive data scientist interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Cognitive Data Scientist role at IBM
Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
The test was pretty straight forward run of the mill aptitude questions
Practicing is not necessary but doing it might have a slight advantage

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What does Principal Component Analysis do?
  • Question 2: Why does it address this problem in the given way?
  • Question 3: (Looking at my mini-assignment)How did you implement Support Vector Machines?(the next question follows this)
  • Question 4: What are Kernals ?
  • Question 5: What uses does it have?
1.I explained the concept of PCA stating the assumptions and conditions on how to implement it. I explained to him what the objective function was and justifying the approach to achieve it.
2.Explained the Concept of C-SVM,
3.Stated the primary objective of using kernal methods
4.Explained how Kernal functions can be used to give complex shapes to the seperating hyperplane
The interviewer wants to know the extent of your knowledge and the ability to think in the situation. He will guide you to the answer. Think of it as more like a conceptual discussion between two people.
If you are not sure of the answer walk him through your thought process