Business Operations Associate

Business Operations Associate Interview Questions and Tips

ZS Associates business operations associate interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Business Operations Associate role at ZS Associates
Test Group Discussion Interview Case Study Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude
  • Section 2: Verbal Reasoning
  • Section 3: Logical Reasoning
  • Section 4: Attention to details
All the sections are extremely simple and no special skill is needed to sail through all of them. The skills looked for in this round are leadership, communication, team contribution and rational thinking.
It is extremely important not to get stuck on a particular question. The system is such that the next question can only be seen if you answer this. So, keep moving through the questions at a uniform pace and in the unusual case of encountering a question taking more time than expected, move on to the next one by filling in some random answer.

We had a group of 10-12 people and were given some non-abstract topics.
Try to be voluble, but don’t make senseless arguments. Be prepared to listen, but interject if you feel that the discussion is going off track. Try to be polite. And remember that it is a group discussion and not a group argument, so blindly opposing every point being put forth is not going to help as you will be asked to summarize the discussion at the end. It is not necessary to start the discussion but try not to put off speaking till the very end because it will be very difficult and awkward trying to get a chance to speak halfway through the stipulated time and the only way to get through is to make some contribution. Towards the end when summarizing, don’t just mention your points or your views. Mention all the points discussed briefly and present the consensus of the group even though it might not be your view.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself - A few questions on my resume (regarding my projects)
  • Question 2: Why non-core when you have a very good GPA and projects?
  • Question 3: Mention an instance where you have worked in a team
  • Question 4: Tell me an instance where you had to meet a deadline
  • Question 5: Give me an instance where you had to achieve something but found your- self among people lacking motivation and how did you handle it.
  • Question 6: Was asked to estimate the surface area of an Airplane (Boeing 747 to be precise!!)
  • Question 7: Why ZS?
  • Question 8: Do you have any questions?
An HR interview by one of the ZS executives. Will usually be a one on one round consisting of questions on the resume and the usual HR questions, a guesstimate/puzzle.
Maintain a level head. Be conversant about everything in one’s CV. Prepare for the usual HR questions. Be consistent in your answers. The worst thing that can happen to you during a PR is to let the interviewer find you contradicting or rather not corroborating something which you said a couple of minutes ago. When the interviewer tries to contradict something you said or convince you otherwise, like in my case, don’t interject him. Listen to what he has to say and at the end politely present your point. Be sure not to change your stand about that, or you’ll be marked as easily persuadable. Apart from all this, try not to be nervous and do maintain a calm composure as the interviewers will usually be very friendly.

Case Study Interview

ou will be given a booklet containing information about a case and some questions and given 30 minutes to solve it. At the end of the 30 minutes, you will have a one on one case interview with one of the executives where you’ll present the results of your analysis and the reasons for those. In our case, we had a shoe company which supplies to warehouses, which in turn supplies to retailers. The company has some fixed sales force and the sales representatives visit both the warehouses and the retailers. Now the owner is considering splitting the sales force as reps who visit warehouses and reps visiting retailers. So, you are given the task of deciding the optimum sales force distribution based on some given data. The second problem was that the owner decided to give awards to managers having outstanding sales figures. Some data is given and you are to decide what is the best parameter for the prize and to how many people the prize is to be given and why. The third problem consisted of some more data which had an inconsistency and we were supposed to single it out analytically. Basic data interpretation and logical thinking. Although the case might sound complicated when presented without the data, rest assured that it is a fairly simple one with the kind of data provided and no special practice or training is required to solve it.
Don’t get psyched on reading the case, there are a lot of trappings and other outward decorations designed to keep you entangled. Browse through them and get to the actual data. You will find that the case is a fairly simple one. Don’t start doubting yourself and go looking for a hidden nuance or some invisible clue. To crack this round remember, as they so often say, that the simplest explanation is usually the right one.You don’t actually need to write lengthy explanations at how you arrived at the answer because the interviewer is not going read them anyway. At the end of the 30 minutes, the answer sheets will be taken from you, but they will be given back to you during the one-on-one session, where you will have to explain to the interviewer how you arrived at those conclusions. So, write only important numbers and calculations. Avoid writing anything which you can’t explain later. Also, if you can’t finish one of the three questions in time, dont fret. Try and remember what was asked and think of an approach to solve it. You’ll have some time before you are called for the one on one, so if you have an approach ready you can take another look at the data and answer that question.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: About yourself
  • Question 2: Some questions on CV
  • Question 3: Why ZS?
  • Question 4: Tell me two of your strengths
  • Question 5: Two things you’d like to change about yourself (weaknesses)
  • Question 6: Tell us an instance where you put in a hard effort for a prolonged period of time
  • Question 7: Give us an instance where you got into something which you thought was simple, but found out later needed much more effort than initially anticipated.
  • Question 8: Where do you see yourself a couple of years down the line?
  • Question 9: Do you have any questions for me?
Only the candidates who have cleared both Personal Interview and Case Interview will be called for this round. It will be a one-on-one HR interview with one of the partners at ZS. The principal (that is what they call the interviewer) will try and intimidate you with his attitude. It will almost be a repeat of the personal interview, but only this time the person at the other end of the table will not be so friendly. He received a couple of phone calls during the interview, on his blackberry (both of which were wrong numbers! :P) and on both those occasions there was an impatient attitude which can easily give an impression that this impatience is pretty much a direct result of the interview :P
The ability of the candidate to interact with people of higher status than himself is evaluated in this round and also how he responds under pressure. Don’t lose your cool, keep a level head and don’t get intimidated. At the same time, try not to give an arrogant impression. It will be a rapid fire session, so it will be of great help if you practice a few HR questions beforehand. Don’t get psyched by this impatient attitude routine. It is just another intimidation routine, so brace yourself and appear confident.

A decent CGPA - 7.5 to 8.0. Although it is not necessary to have an in-depth knowledge of all the core subjects since it will consist of HR interviews only. A fundamental idea of the concepts will always give a good impression in the rare chance of the interviewer being from the same stream. Expect a question on one of your projects or internships, which will be asked mainly to test if you were committed to your task in that particular instant. So, one should be conversant about all the projects in his resume. Any extraordinary extra-curricular achievement is always an added bonus, but by Day 5, this might be seen as an over qualification. Involvement in different spheres of extra-academic activities will show the interviewer that you are an outgoing person. ZS does not look for any outstanding achievements like many Day 1 companies, but rather a good balance in the resume. So, the extra academic involvement need not just be an Inter IIT Gold or speaking in a global conference. It might as well be captain of a hall team, G.Sec of the Department society, as in my case. No such skills were required in BAA profile but good quantitative and analytic ability gives one an upper hand in the Case Interview round. As mentioned before, there is no need to have an extraordinary project or internship; it’s enough if you know what you did. A good resume is one regarding which you can converse freely with the examiner and keep him occupied for at least 10 minutes. This is extremely important as there will be two rounds of HR interviews usually.
The best preparation would be to talk to the seniors or friends working at the company. That is the best source of funda. Apart from that, no special skills are required to clear all the rounds.

Mvas ChaitanyaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Business Operations Associate role at ZS Associates
Test Problem Statement Interview Interview Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative ability
  • Section 2: English
  • Section 3: Logical reasoning
I could'nt recall the exact number of questions and the duration but, they were pretty easy and basic. Anyone with little practice would be able to ace them easily. There was adequate time and overall it was a childsplay.
Prepare yourself thoroughly with the basic elementary maths. Having a habit of reading would help in answering reading comprehension quickly. Grammar was very easy.

Don't panic while solving logical ability questions. It's ok to leave some, if they don't "strike" at that point of time. Make sure you go through all questions once, whether or not you've answered them.

Problem Statement

There were just 30 min to solve 3 questions which had sub-parts in them (9 in all). I was able to complete them just on time. it was a race with time and I enjoyed it.
Since time is a severe constraint, the key is to get a grasp of what data is given in the question quickly. There were many tables of data and the only deciding factor would be one's ability to understand the question quickly. Once you understand the question, getting the solution is EASY. So read the question quickly and carefully. Understand it and you would be able to do it. It was just a simple problem of arithmetic. HOLD YOUR NERVE. DON'T PANIC.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: same as described in the previous sction
I was asked to explain the solution to the problem that I solved in 30 minutes. It was cool. The interviewer was interested in my approach. I just explained what I did from the solution sheet.
Don't try to explain anything that you did'nt solve there during the stipulated time. especially if it invlves soem calculations. Be honest. Don't give answers that you picked up from people outside the room. They'll easily spot it. Some of my friends who did'nt answer all questions of the case were also got selected. BE HONEST. It's good to have a smile on your face. Be honest and keep smiling. "People like those who like themselves" :)

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell be about yourself
It started with the standard question "tell me about yourself", later a guestimate was asked/a puzzle to some others. Again, I can't disclose it because of the non-disclosure agreement. there were follow up questions based on introduction and questions related to resume. the interviewer was very friendly and it was really cool. went on for about 20-25 minutes.
I repeat the quote "People like those who like themselves". You should feel good about yourself and that confidence should radiate from your face. keep smiling (a genuine smile, not a made up one. It's very easy to differentiate between one that comes from heart and lips :P ) . Prepare for this question well in advance. USE THE RIGHT WORDS ("I get tensed on having to manage several thing at once" and "I feel a bit uneasy when I have too many things on my plate, I'm trying to overcome this by maintaining a to-do list", both the statements mean the same but the latter can make a lot of difference . Have a clear idea of your strengths and weaknesses. Back them with examples. write your life story like an inspiring movie script. It does'nt matter even if there were no big spikes. You should be able to communicate to the interviewer that "I know myself. I believe in myself. I mean business". Be honest. liars are easily spotted. Just be yourself. DON'T FAKE anything.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: tell me about yourself
The interviewer was poker faced with absolutely no emotion on his face. To my astonishment, he later asked me questions from my engineering (metallurgy), which I did'nt expect in the wildest of my dreams (I was interviewing for a consultancy :P). it went on for about 20 minutes.
Don't panic. Stick to an answer, once you have given one. Don't change it, even if asked to. CONFIDENCE is the key. have a smile on your face and tell yourself that the interviewer is having a tough time trying to hide his emotions (he bursted out into laughter after my interview), which will give you some comfort. They want to see how you react under pressure. Just have a smile on your face and answer the questions, not his emotions. REMEMBER, Integrity has no substitute.

Prepare for the question "tell me about yourself" well in advance. your strengths and weaknesses backed with examples of real life instances and how you are trying to overcome your weaknesses. KEEP SMILING.<br /> <br /> Be well prepared for the aptitude test. It was very basic, so i'm not mentioning any books here.
"People like those who like themselves", have a review of your life, write your story the way it inspires you. Confidence radiates only if you feel good about yourself. prepare well and that will add to your confidence. Be honest. Be yourself. Keep smiling.
The profile was Business Operations Associate. I wanted to get into a job that would give insights into the way business is carried out, the problems and functioning. ZS being a reputed firm and given the profile, i applied for it.
I was waiting for the result after giving the stress interview. The company people were coming out once every 10 minutes, calling some name and informing them whether or not they were selected. One of my friend who had 3 lengthy HR interviews (I had 2 very short ones :P) was informed of his selection, even before I gave my case interview. I had a feeling that the interviews went well, but just then a guy who was with me for quite some time was informed of his rejection. I was confused, when a guy came out and called my name, pulse was on the rise. He came towards me with a poker face, stood in front of me for a while and said "Congratulations, we are making the offer. Thank you for bearing with us through out the day" :D (earlier in the interview, i had mentioned that i had'nt eaten anything since morning, the later part was a reply to that). Those words gave a lot of satisfaction, a parker and a tray of ferro rocher chocolates :P :D

Pagalam RajeshwaranExperiencedSelected
Test Case Study Interview Guesstimate Interview Fit interview

• Section 1: Aptitude
Normal aptitude questions of varying difficulty. Not adaptive.
Accuracy matters but so does speed. General trend says people who answered at least 85-90% of the questions received a call.

Case Study Interview

You will be provided a written case study with all the details pertaining to the format and galf an hour to solve it.It will be followed by a case interview regarding the case study. Basic quants would suffice but common sense is vital to succeed.
Do not cram on case study resources before your interview.
Focus on your interviewing skills.
Focus on the approach not the answer.
Be precise and donot make calculation mistakes.
Remember:The interviewer is here to help you. Understand his mindset. If he believes you are a worthy candidate he will give you ample opportunities.
P.S.: Interviewer might twist the case study a bit to understand your thought process. Also be ready for puzzles and questions related to your resume.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview with an Associate consultant. Guesstimates based on anything the interviewer finds interesting from your resume. Puzzles and Resume based questions.
Guesstimates are not as difficult as they seem. It can be based on your hometown or hobby etc. Get to know small details like approx. population and area of your hometown etc..
Associate the variable in your guesstimate to some variable that behaves the same way.
Egs. No. of vehicle is a function of the population and etc.
Please think before you speak and donot blurt out anything that comes to your mind. The interviewer will give you time if you ask him for it.
Be thorough with your resume and do not make any sort of mistake in it. They will find out if you are lying.
Be prepared with the Motivation, Experience and Learning of every aspect within your resume.
Remember: Do not bullshit.

Fit interview

Best time to get all your doubts about the company and job profile cleared as the person interviewing you would be a senior stakeholder at ZS.
While trend dictates Reaching this round indicates selection. But i have seen otherwise as well. Donot take the round lightly as the person interviewing would be your future boss's boss's boss's boss's boss.
There is no specific guidelines for the interview but be yourself, accept your mistakes and stick to whatever you say if you are right. Donot accept this round to be predictable,anything can happen.

Test Group Discussion Case Study Interview Behavorial Interview HR Interview

Online test with basic quantitative and verbal ability sections.
CAT preparation is more than enough.

Group size is 10 . Topic is mostly based on current affairs.
Knowledge of what is happening in the world is important. In my case, the topic was whether Kingfisher Airlines should be bailed out or not.

Case Study Interview

30 minutes of quantitative case study to be solved individually. After the time elapses, the interviewer will ask about the solution and the approach behind it.
Quick arithmetic and being logically sound is important. Prepare from any case book such as Kellogs etc.

Behavorial Interview

Simple HR questions about extra-acads, BTP (see above), personal habits etc are asked.
Focus is on time management. May ask a specific situation where you faced a time crunch situation and managed it.

Almost all the candidates who go through this get selected. The senior partner asks some questions about the resume and basic HR questions.

The company does look into CGPA much once you clear the cut-off. This year they recruited students with CGPA ranging from 7.5 to 9.2. Some amount of extra academic involvement is advisable. Inter-halls are fine. They ask in detail about the participation, time management, team work and leadership skills. Good participation in few events is also good and can be defended well in the above mentioned areas. No programming skills required. Ability to do mental calculations is important. They ask for a quantitative case study ( 3o minutes time), which involves some calculations. Quick arithmetic is fine.
One can expect questions about the BTech Project. Apart from the technicalities, the overall usage and commercialization of the project is important, since ZS is more interested in those lines. They’ll also ask about how to commercialize the technology behind the BTech project. Good internships are of course handy to make an impression.

Test Problem Statement Guesstimate Interview HR Interview

Online Aptitude test-AMCAT (verbal, quantitative, qualitative, logical) -Time is a crucial factor here than difficulty, the test is quite average.

Problem Statement

Day-2- Case study of Real life problem statement.(Math Skills & ideas needed to qualify here)Most important Round according to me. Majority was eliminated here. Those remaining usually make it through final interview. First a Case study is given to solve in around 30-35 mins.(4 questions with subparts also). Next, a "Case study discussion" takes place,1 to 1 discussion where you have to explain your approach/ideas/answers. This round takes up 40-50 mins at least.

Guesstimate Interview

Tech./Guesstimation Round- Internships/Projects (asked to explain the project and what your role was in it). Guesstimation questions are always asked here and are quite important to the process. Practice a few questions online beforehand to get a grasp of it. Approach here is more imp than the actual answer.(Elimination round)

HR interview/Behavioral interview- Casual round of HR questions( Hobbies, interests etc are discussed). Qualities are asked to justify with real life examples. A quant questions (average difficulty) were also asked to solve.Almost everyone made through this round.(Final round)

Online materials are enough. Practice Apti. questions in summer for at least a week to build up the speed. Materials from seniors also helped. Trick questions/Puzzles are integral part for some companies, so knowing it beforehand helps. Almost all puzzles are available online.(just Google INTERVIEW puzzles). Andtry and read about the company you are planning to apply for, might come handy in HR rounds.

• R.S. Agrawal- for Apti ,
Stay CALM and confident. Keep the basics right and be very sure with the companies you want to sit for. Dress smartly and always answer to the point. If confident about yourself, can skip companies for your dream offer.

Priyanshi JainFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Bhopal for Business Operations Associate role at ZS Associates
Test Group Discussion Behavioural interview Case study Case interview HR Interview

30 min questions
  • Section 1: General Aptitude
Easy questions
Basic level questions.
Practice grammar.

Role of censorship
GD turned into a fish market. It requires enormous amount of effort to remain calm and composed.
Jot down your points and channel the gd in the right direction. Be polite and clear. Jot down other people's points in order to summarise at the end.

Behavioural interview

Good
Practice guesstimates.

Case study

Lot of questions and data in a booklet.
8 questions in 30 minutes
Practice case studies
Make logical assumptions so that you can explain your answers in the interview.

Case interview

Stressful
Be confident and explain your answers.

Be confident. Brainteasers can be dropped.

• Case in point,
I lost my cool when asked 600*15 by the HR.

I told him that the entire process of 6 rounds has been very hectic. And does he think I do not know how to calculate?

He just smiled and asked me to answer the same.

Test Case Study Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

Around 110 students were shortlisted for the online test (CGPA>=7) from all branches of B.Tech. Online test had 4 sections namely Simple Quantitative, Logical Reasoning, Verbal and attention to detail. 30 students were shortlisted for interviews based on the online test and interviews were taken according to the profile opted.

Case Study Interview

In case interview, a case study would be given and one is supposed to analyze it within the time limit.

Technical interview varies for each profile, for BOA and BAA it would be mostly puzzles, case analysis and a brief on one's projects and internships.

HR would be a bit tough, try to be confident. 11 students were offered placement. The whole interview process goes for a day long.

Use your summer effectively, though you are busy with internships and projects, a little beforehand preparation for placements would be really helpful. Do know about the company and job profile before going to an interview and pay attention to the company pre-placement talk. Knowing about the placement process helps too. If, you are applying for a core company, know your basic concepts thoroughly, be clear about your academic projects and internships.
It's challenging to crack the tests, interviews and get placed but at the same time don't get exhausted or dejected ever. From all that we have experienced, patience and wait always rewards you. Don't just sit for a company unless you the profile suits you. Once you are placed in a dream company you cannot sit for others. So choose wisely before you act.

Alok UmarjeetFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Business Operations Associate role at ZS Associates
Resume Shortlist Test Case Study Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

Based on CGPA

Basic Aptitude test, CAT exam practice enough to clear it

Case Study Interview

Questions based on the case study questions given to us to solve

Behavioural Interview

General questions, Internships, Projects to check who well u fit in company culture

Final round with top management personnel again hr interview with basic info about you
Be cool confident and think logically
Great culture and great growth for a fresher, good perks and compensation
Interviewer asking whether the things on my CV are real or fake

Test Case Study Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

There is a written test for everyone above CGPA 7.This test includes general aptitude questions. There were in total of 30 students who were selected for the Interview Rounds.

Case Study Interview

There was a case study round in which everyone was given a case study told to read it for 30 mins.Then questions were asked based on that case study.

Next was a Technical Round which was kind of a test, of your management and analytic skills.

Last round was the HR interview.

Books never helped.Internet did.Search for case studies and estimations.There is a lot of material on the web. Put more focus on the needs of the company and prepare accordingly for it.
Placement season is just another race for all the students where everyone is trying their best to be the best.I t was quite exhausting as a lot of things needed to be managed like classes, assignments, interviews and tests.

Test Case Study Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

Aptitude test - You have to select the track you want to apply for.

Case Study Interview

For Interview rounds - 30 people were selected.

Behavioural Interview

Eliminations in each round. Though 17 out of 30 selected for interviews had applied for BAA and two were finally selected, and in total 11 were recruited from the college.

Search for a few general HR and behavioral questions for interviews, which you have to do for.
Just be confident and justification for your answers is important. They look for your thought process so be clear with your answers and try to convert your reasons supporting them.
It was fun actually.. We all were fed cheese bursts from domino's.(everyone selected for the interviews)