Business Analyst

Business Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

GirnarSoft business analyst interview

Anurag AnandFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for BUSINESS ANALYST role at GirnarSoft
HR Interview 2nd hr round!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How I get selected for the interview process even if I couldn't clear my test exam?
  • Question 2: What was the whole conversation ( I have elaborated the whole conversation in the EXPERIENCE BOX)?
I was sitting for a placemnt process of Girnar Software..and I dunt knw wt happend but I couldnt clear my exams so dat I can sit for my interview process.. I was frustrated like a hell because I was a good student sometimes.. and it was my 16th day of my placement process of the placement season of IITR.. so when results for the interview came out den my name was not dere.. I felt bad like a hell.. I was in my room with my friend and then I started wearing my suit and then my friend told me - "Dude ur name is not in the list for interview so y r u wearing the suit mahn!!?" I didnt heard him becoz at dat tym my mind was on dat company n I wore dat suit and went to LHC (where interview ho raha tha  ) I  met with the CEO of the company (AMIT JAIN) and i told him,' sir wt u r looking for I have all those stuffs,plz gv me a chance so dat I can prove myself'.. and he replied " sry Anurag we dun hv any more vacancy here so we cant gv u a chance".. den I evoked - "Sir ek chij (thing h) h I wana show to u.. plz ek baar dekh lo aap..plzz::::
den amit jain sir said "wts dat?, show me" den I replied Sir,here Is a list of 200 phone numbers and u can ask any number from here..and I think that ds wud prove my skills dat u guys r looking for, as Sir the thing is I wsnt knowing the name of ur company before but when I saw ur presentation and in ur pressentation u told us " we r looking for a cheetah launda(SHARP SKILLS)  and if u want to become entreuprenur in future then ds is the best company u can join in" Sir dats y here is a list of 200 phone number which I have in my memory ,u can ask any number from here.. then Amit sir said -" Ok let me see wts dat, den I gave him the notes of my 200 phone numbers den he saw and asked "wts the number of LK DELHI den i said 'sir aisa koi number hi nai h LK DELHI name ka tab unhone us number pe (jo mere notes pe likha tha)  apni ek fingure rakh kar taaki mein number na dekh saku n unhone pucha ye number bata den i replied sir ye LK DELHI nai CK DELHI hai den i said sir 8882144739 and the he asked me other three numbers den i replid bahaut teji se teeno number toh unhone ( AMIT JAIN Sir) bola ki " Chaaru iska interviw lo"....... DAt was the moment for me yr!!

AND THEN COMES MY 1st INTERVIEW ROUND!

I sat for the interview and mam was infront of me and I was quiet Nervous because maine socha tha ki yaar mai below average guy hun( according to so called CGPA bt aise toh accha hun) aur meri placement feb, March k pehle toh nai hone wala so maine Interview k liye preparation nai kari thi kabhi v..mjhe pata v nai tha ki agar aisa interview mein question puchenge toh iska qa reply (scripted acrdng to ur preparation ) dena h.. so i was blanked dere.. den HR Mam asked me -"Anurag,tell me abt urself", toh iska pata tha ki ghar waalo k baare (about) mein batana hai. toh maine english mein hi reply kiya.. and then she said-   " wt u did in the last 3 and half years " den i replied.......now the conversation here follows:ME: MAM, actually I diddddnt do anything here ( seriously,my eloquence was ds coz I was nervous and mere jubaan se koi english word nai nikal pa raha tha), then i told her, -" Mam ,actually I am feeling nervous right now when talking in english and i further told her - "mam, if I would talk in hindi den I wud be more confident so CAN I??.. den she replied-"OK".. so qa kiya aapne college life mein??Again me: MAm, maine padhai likhai toh kari nai college aane k baad,.. bahaut maje kare and life enjoy kari and maine bas ek hi accha kaam kiya collega aa k ki maine kuch socha hai...MAM : kya socha tumne?? tell meME: MAm ,maine kuch business Ideas soche hai..MAM: kya hai vo ideas? ME: mam.i studied from ranchi, n mam mai waha pe ek LODGE mein rehta tha toh mera khana ek mess se aatah tha mere room pe but mam us mess (or most of the mess) mein vo BREAKFAST nai dete the toh mjhe aur mere friends ko bahar ja k khana padta tha subah subah..kabhi CHOLA BATURA YA KABHI POORI SABJI n ye jo dishes h mam vo kaafi oily hai toh koi ek banda ise kabhi v lagatar (CONTINUE) 2 saal kya 3 mahine v nai khaa (EAT) sakta..so mam its quiet unhygenic and kaafi boring aur ajeeb sa h..no one can continue ds sor of dish for more tha 3 months.... n mam, jaha mai rehta tha us jagah ka naam PLAZA CHOWK THA n waha pe 25 plus BOYS AND GALS HOSTELS/LODGES honge and each hostels/lodges mein 100 plus students honge so agar hum waha pe(PLAZA CHOWK) hum ek accha sa breakfast ka dukaan(SHOP) khol de toh kitna accha chalega and I have an Idea  jo students  2 saal lagataar khaayenge aur kabhi bore v nai hoyenge aur na hi Oily hai aur na hi utna (COMPARATIVELY) unhygenic hai... MAM: wts dat idea??ME: mam, u knw MOORDI( LAVA,jo white sa hota hai) ,GHUGNI (CHANA KA SABJI).. I knw aapko pata nai hoga coz u r nt frm BIHAR.. but mam I gurantee ki ye bahaut tasty hota h and aap isko lagataar kitna v kha lo aur aap kabhi v bore nai honge aur utna unhygenic v nai h as isme utna oil nai lagta hai..and mam iska investment cost kaafi kam hai,...as low as 20,000 and its going to give us the huge profit ..,,,,mam mai maanta hun ye kaafi low level pe idea hai,thoda cheap hai... but mam maine yai socha hai...MAM: ok,so wt u have extra dat others dunt have here?? ME: mam,here is a list of 200 phone numbers which i hv memorised or others,u cn ask any number from here..den she asked me 3 numbers n I replied very fastly.. denMAM: dude,tumne ise kaise yaad kiya?? tum confuse nai hote qa??ME: actually mam,mere pas ek tym pe aisa phone tha jisme jyada number save nai ho paata tha toh mjhe vo number galti or alag reason se yaad rakhna padtaa tha... n jb v mjhe us number pe call karna padta tha tab mai vo number ko soch kar k us number pe call karta tha n isi habbit se or sayad koi aur v reasons se mjhe vo number yaad hota tha..so ds is the reason mam..MAM:accha..aur extra qa h tmhare paas??ME:MA,u can ask anything abt calculation level stuffs as I prepared for my dream company "FUTURES FIRST" bt mera usme ho na paaya and maine bahaut prepare kiya tha..so u can at any level!!MAM:tell me the squres of 69,73...123,176,253,etc etc 357 tak kuch v total 13 squares puche (toh maine kuch kuch tym leke saara bata diya)MAM: impressed!! .....OK ANURAG,WAIT OUTSIDE....
My conversation skills is good but at that time I was feeling nervous and if I wouldn't have asked her to converse in Hindi then I couldn't have feel confident at that time dat I should and I couldnt be me and the reason for giving me a chance for the 2nd interview was only my confidence and my wildness. So always be truthful, be confident and be wild ( try always to be different from others according to me). Although you don't know anything about coding, you don't know the thing for what they are looking for but If u are confident enough and you got the balls to impress others then it might help you a ton!

2nd hr round!

Then she came out and  she talked about me to CEO sir and both were laughing ( I dont know why :P )..then  she came to me and said- "ANURAG U HV TO WAIT OUTSIDE FOR OTHER INTERVIEW"..
DEN COMES MY SECOND ROUND INTERVIEW! ( The whole descriptions are below) :-

HR:TELL me about urself wt u did in ur life frm the beginning??ME:Sir,actually i am nt good in english and i am feeling nervous ryt nw so can i converse in HINDI??HR: ok!ME:Sir,mai bachpan se bahaut padhne wala ladka tha n papa k according mjhe DOCTOR ban na tha  class 9th tak bt sir mera MATHS MEIN 100 aa gaya toh papa ne bola ki tmhe IIT karna h toh maine IIT ki preparation ki aur qualify v kar liya toh jab qualify kar k yaha aaya toh yaah pe itne facilities dekha toh thoda pagal sa ho gaya..jab yaha dekha ki ek hi college k campus k andar sab kuch h (jaise 3 stadiums and everything u require, high speed internet facilities and huge facilties  etc etc) toh mai alag sa hi feel kar raha tha (jannat sa)..den i started enjoying my college life.. toh sir mai yaha padhai wadhai chor kar k kuch naye dosto k saath kuch alag se kaamo mein involve ho gaya,bahaut masti kari..maje kiye life k bahaut saare aur bahaut kuch seeka..sab kaam kiya bt bas padhai hi na kari isliye aap mera CGPA dekh rahe honge vo sirf 6.02 hi h.. jo kaafi kam (LESS) h according to criteria hera but sir mere liye bahaut h as maine is k liye v utna kuch khaas mehnat nai kiya..but maine sir life enjoy kari h n bahaut kuch seekha h..HR:So y u wana join our company?ME: Sir, U told in ur presentation dat if u want to become entreuprenur in future then this is the best company u can join in and we guys working here are MAD and we need the same pagalpan..and i think I am like dat only sir..and I dont want to do job but want to become entreuprenurHR: u dunt want to do job?ME: NO,sir .. but I want to join your company because I hv to learn many stuffs abt a company and u told us,' for doing entreuprenurship in the future,u guys should join this company' and SIR MAIN YE V NAI BOL RAHA KI MAI AAP K COMPANY MEIN TEEKUNGA..MJHE SIRF AAP K COMPANY MEIN AA K KAAM SEEKHNA H AND EXPERIENCE GAIN KARNA HAI DEN I WILL LEAVE UR COMPANY AND JOB PE FOCUS KA EK AUR REASON HAI KI PAPA KO CONVINCE KARNA HAI AS U KNW THE SOCIETY AND PADOSI STUFFS..BAS YAI H! HR: OK tell me something more!ME: Sir,Anyone can do anything in life.. EK CANTEEN MEIN KAAM KARNE WALA LADKA V MILLIONAIRE BAN SAKTA HAI BUT USE BANNE MEIN ROKTI H USKI LOW CONFIDENCE AND DETERMINATION.. ab bill gates ko v nai pata tha ki vo itna bada aadmi ban jaayega but vo bana reason ye tha ki usko apne aap pe confidence tha and vo apne kaam k liye determined tha..and SIR,WHAT WE IITIANS ARE? WE ARE 9000 STUDENTS ALL OVER INDIA AND WE ARE 0.01 PERCENT STUDENTS AMONG ALL MATHS STUDENTS SO WE MIGHT CALL US AN EXTRAORDINARY ONE  BUT WHAT WE ARE DOING HERE? WE ARE FOCUSSING ON SALARY,JOBS AND WAI 10 LAKHS RUPEES..WE SHOULD DO SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY DAT COULD CONTRIBUTE TO INDIA'S DEVELOPMENT BUT HUMEIN APNE GHAR WAALO KO PROVE KARNA HOTA HAI JOB LEKE,SOCIETY KO DIKHANA HOTA HAI..AGAR JOB ACCHI SALARY WAALI NA LO TOH PHR SOCIETY WAALE KYA SOCHENGE KI DEKHO TOH LADKA IIT MEIN THA AUR PHR V JOB 10 LAKHS KI KAR RAHA HAI ETC ETC.. AND SIR, MAI EK CHEMICAL ENGINEERING KA STUDENT HUN AND MAINE YE DEKHA KI JAB STUDENTS 4th YEAR MEIN AATE HAI AND JAB UNHE PATA CHALTA HAI KI YAHA TOH CORE COMPANIES SE JYADA SOFTWARE WAALI COMPANIES AATI HAI TOH VO 4th YEAR MEIN AA K CODING SEEKHTE H, 3 SAAL CHEMICAL PADHNE K BAAD VO CODING SEEKH RAHE..but i am not like dat and i am not focussing on your salary..aap jo v doge it will be OK for me as mjhe bas kaam seekhna hai dats y I wana join ur company..HR: OK..now tell me what is DATA ANALYSIS?ME:SIR DATA ANALYSIS IS SOMETHING THAT U EXTRACT MEANING INFORMATION FROM THE DATA GIVEN SO THAT ANY NORMAL GUY UNDERSTAND THAT INFORMATION !HR: give an example!ME: then i gave very lame exampleHR: THIS IS NOT EXACTLY THE MEANING OF DATA ANALYSIS,THIS IS AT VERY LOW LEVELME: SIR,AGAR MJHE PEHLE SE HI ACCHE SE PATA REHTA KI WHAT EXACTLY DATA ANALYSIS IS THEN MEIN AAPKI COMPANY MEIN KYUN AANA CHAAHTA.. I WANT TO LEARN AND I HAVE GOOD LEARNING CAPACITY THATS Y I WANT TO JOIN YOUR COMPANY!HR: GV ME AN EXAMPLE OF YOUR LEARNING CAPABILITY!ME: (MAINE APNI 10th CLASS KI ADMIT CARD PE LAGI PHOTO KO UNHE DIKHAYA WHICH WAS QUIET HORRIBLE) SIR, DS I WAS IN 2010 AND HERE I AM IN 2014 ( AND I STOOD SWIRLING MY HANDS  )HR: SERIOUSLY DS IS YOU?ME: YES SIR, i always learnt from my seniors, my juniors and my colleagues every single time..HR: OK MR. ANURAG ,IT WAS PLEASURE MEETING YOU AND HOPE TO MEET YOU AGAININTERVIEW THUS OVER!!! :)
NEVER BE FAKE ,SHOW THEM WHAT YOU ARE ..IT WILL IMPRESS THEM EVEN MORE THAN KNOWING THE STUFFS THAT ONE GUY PREPARE FOR SELECTING IN A COMPANY ..ONLY MAKE THEM BELIEVE DAT YOU ARE A SINCERE GUY AND CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO JOIN HIS/HER COMPANY AND YOU CAN LEARN AND CAN ACHIEVE DERE EXPECTATIONS THAT DEY ARE FOCUSSING ON!!
BE AWESOME :)

• CONFIDENCE
  • RISK TAKING ABILITY
  • EXCITED TO LEARN
BE WHAT YOU ARE AND CREATE SITUATIONS TO FEEL YOURSELF COMFORTABLE AND ALSO TO FEEL THEM COMFORTABLE! THIS WOULD IMPRESS THEM!

• READ INSPIRING NOVELS THAT COULD INSPIRE YOU IN YOUR EVERY MOMENTS OF LIFE!,
KAABIL BANO KAAMYAAB NAI, KAAMYABI TOH JHAK MAAR K PEECHE AAYEGI!! :D :)

ALWAYS LEARN FROM THE OUTSIDE WORLD AND IMPROVE YOURSELF AT EVERY MOMENTS OF LIFE!
THE PRESENTATION GIVEN BY THE CEO OF THE COMPANY ( SACH MEIN MJHE IS COMPANY KA NAME PEHLE NAI PATA THA :D :P :) )
THE WHOLE INTERVIEW CONVERSATION WAS ENTERTAING SO DO READ IT, WILL SURE IT WOULD HELP YOU :)

Axtria business analyst interview

Preetij AminFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Business Analyst role at Axtria
Test Group Discussion Guesstimate Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: HR
  • Section 2: Quant
  • Section 3: Verbal
  • Section 4: Logic & Reasoning
  • Section 5: Basic Coding
The tests are held using the platform of Cocubes. First section has HR questions such as "why Axtria?" and other stuff. I don't think its really necessary and I presume that nobody looks at it. The sections 2, 3 and 4 are fairly easy. But since the test is easy, you should also keep this in mind that the cutoff might be high. The coding section had basic question of C, C++ and Java. Don't worry even if you don't know java. All in all, the questions are very "do-able" and one should easily crack them.
I'd advice aspirants to go through the concepts of OOPs; just a brief glance at it, not necessarily mastering it. There's no negative marking, so try attempting all the questions. Also the test is of 2 hours with 60 minutes for sections 2, 3 and 4.

10-12 Minutes
If we can dream, we can.
The GD round is quite simple. A group is formed of 8-10 people. Everyone gets a chance to speak, unless it's your bad day with a cartoon character in the same group with you.
One person didn't really want, but was forced to appear for the selection process. So from the very beginning, he was trying for a "suicide". So there was a bit of negation in arguments which might have killed us all. But the interviewers really want everyone to put up their points and gave equal opportunities.
Before proceeding with your points, each of us had to introduce ourselves and then put up our points. There was a lot of desperation in my GD, so there were moments when people were actually arguing. So one really had to grab their chance when speaking.
The other groups had topics like, "Social media in daily life", "Pros and cons of using Cloud", etc. Their GD was very methodical, everyone speaking turn by turn and in the end anyone was asked to conclude the session.
In the end, about 2 people are eliminated, so in order to fail, you really have to suck at public speaking. Otherwise, take it for granted that you're going through for the next round.
I'd suggest people to have a go at number 3 or 4, once you've gauged the nature of the discussion. Try to put up all your points very briefly, giving an example or two. Don't negate other people's arguments and agree with people who's thoughts are in line with yours. Even if you want to negate others, do it very subtly. Try to be involved as much as possible. Be the best listener, moderate the GD when you're not active and when you're speaking, be very confident.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Estimate the size of racks of rice in a store in any area.
Since I did not have any background in analytics, the interviewer had to ask me other questions. At first she asked me about statistics, which I was not really confident about. At this point, I was almost certain to crash out. But luckily, the next question she asked me was the above guesstimate. This being one of my stronger skills, was quite OK for me, and I handled this question well enough. The interviewer was quite impressed with my approach and was smiling as if advertising for Colgate, at the end of the interview. This instilled some confidence in me, that I was going through, at least for this round. But this was, as one would say, lady luck, saving me. Other candidates, who had a background in analytics, were asked only about their previous internships (not too technical).
If you have a background in analytics, then just go through all your projects. If you do not have any such skills, then brush up your guesstimates. Other person who was like me, was asked to estimate the time after which a boiler needed maintenance (he was from Mechanical). Another guy was asked how would one determine that a person is fraud or not; if he withdrew about 10K in first three months and then 50K in the 4th month, from his credit card. So case-study and guesstimates are a must if you don't have analytics on your CV.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Since you do not have a background in analytics, is there anything you've done that would relate to it?
  • Question 2: Since you know e-commerce so well, why not go for a start-up?
  • Question 3: Do you have any plans for higher studies?
There was a panel of 3 interviewers. Other candidates (analytics guys) were simply asked to convince them that they would work for the company for the foresee-able future. I, on the other hand, was asked to convince them, why I am the guy for Axtria. I had to defend myself, for having internships in different backgrounds and how would I be suitable for analytics. Then they asked me that since I had worked in an logistics company, why did not I go for my own start-up. Again I said a few things, which was basically running around, why do I want to work for Axtria. Luckily, I managed to convince them in the end. But still I did not have that good a feeling about this round. When asked about higher studies, I told them that I had plans but not in the near future.
This one was pretty dependent on how you'd defend your CV. But otherwise, it should be a very simple experience for analytics guys. Axtria goes for elimination rather than selection in its process. So unless you really suck at giving interviews, you can give yourself a fair chance of getting selected. Also, since they have a 3 month long training period, it is not really necessary that you have analytics on you CV. But for a guy like me, you have to be very convincing about yourself and make them believe that Axtria and you are a match made in heaven.

• Data Analysis

• Case In Point,
  • Heard On The Street: Quantitative Questions From Wall Street Job Interviews,
  • Machine Learning Courses On Edx,
  • Machine Learning - Coursera Course,
If you're confident with conversing in English and are convincing enough, it shouldn't be really difficult. Also, the conversion rate is about 0.5 i.e. half of the shortlisted people are going to get selected. So there's no need to be nervous.
After selection was complete, a girl asked: Sir, do we have to work on Sundays?

Accenture business analyst interview

Shubham ChaudharyExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Campus Recruitment for Business Analyst role at Accenture
Group Discussion Other Interview Other Interview HR Interview

Intervention of US in other countries
It is a general topic . As I had habit of reading newspapers and magazines almost on daily basis . So it helped me a lot and I was initiator in my group . Try to start early and get involved in discussion.
- If you don't have knowledge of such topics think in an emotional manner like suppose you are a US citizen then what will you think , suppose you are a citizen of a country that US is going to invade and you can also think as a person from international community that has nothing to do with it.
-In my interview there were 3 members . They will divide candidates in such way that they each one will observe only one candidate and he will make notes on you.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about you the most usual question in an interview?
  • Question 2: Why you want to join a non core company?
  • Question 3: Where do you see yourself after 3 years ?
  • Question 4: Do you have any doubts about company?
The answer for non core is one of the best at least that's what my friends said . I said suppose if I'm getting placed in a core company then it will take 10-15 years to become expert in a plant (I'm a chemical engineer ) and suppose I'm working with your organization i will be working with a pharma company , petrochemical company , FMCG etc. I will be working in multiple dimension . As you have 89 clients in fortune 100 and 75% in fortune 500 . So it will be a major boost for my career .

Where do you see yourself after 3 years - It should be based on profile . My answer was I would like to see myself in cost estimation , supply chain management if I'm getting placed in a core company.
My interview was very short it took hardly 5- 10 minutes.
- Focus on you skills.
- Your answer should match with the profile of job.
- Keep calm
- Ask some logical doubts in last like why companies are not disclosing names of their clients etc which shows that you have gone through companies website .

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Same question tell me something about you and in last they asked do you have any doubts ?
  • Question 2: They asked about my summer internship?
  • Question 3: They asked me about my project work?
  • Question 4: why you want to join Accenture ?
  • Question 5: Tell me one thing that you have done in your engineering that is not a part of curriculum?
  • Question 6: Do you know any programming languages ?
In this summer i did my intern at IOCL panipat , then she asked what have you seen their etc and what did u liked most . I said ma'am its a very big complex and their were number of reactors .But the most fascinating was crude oil importing software as it used to predict future demand with close accuracy . Now Sir said suppose you are a software what parameters would you take into account for importing crude . i gave them 7 to 8 parameters with logic's why it should be present and how it should be implemented . After my each and every logic they were saying good very good and I was like they must be making fun of me as I was giving them genuine responses.
- In reply to my project I said that I haven't started working on that because my partner is not leaving in hostel.
- In response to curriculum I said that I used excel solver and goal seek function in my practical work to save my time. And then ask me about these functions.
- I said sorry Sir but I used to do programming in my 12th class but after that i was not able to continue . But i would love to do it again . then he ask how much time do you need to learn a language . In response to this I said it depends upon mentors . then he said we don't have mentors in Accenture . In reply i said it is easily to learn from a friend than mentor. And he laughed.
- Focus more on logic's
- Try to crack some jokes if you are good in it.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself in 5 lines ?
  • Question 2: Compare you hometown with Surat ? And give me 3 good point about both of them ?
  • Question 3: What advice would you give to a 15 year old Shubham and 40 year old Shubham ?
- My first line was , My Dad is in Indian Air force so i belong to a very diverse organization i have been living with peoples from different culture , religion and states . It would give me a great advantage. And i can be very adaptable as i have been moving from one location to another . After coming to this college I have changed my house thrice .Whenever i visit i find new peoples around me.
- 15 year old advice these question is generally asked to see what part of like you would like to change . My answer was go and start preparing , field is not a barrier its all about your hard work . Most important thing is to stay focused . Competition is very tough out their. So start preparing and field doesn't matter i said again.
- 40 year old - Give an idea about you future plan- I said its my age of learning I don't have any responsibility of my parents family etc . Go out and learn as more as you can . After certain age you need to take responsibility of your parents and family members . So plan accordingly.
- focus on skills like you key skills .

• Behavioural Skills
  • Logical Reasoning
  • Logical Thinking
- Just be yourself.
- It has 89 clients in fortune 100 and 75% in fortune 500 . Total number of clients 5000+ . And they are spending approx 887 Million USD. And working culture is very good . They even allow people to return .
When he asked where do you see yourslef after 3 years . I said sorry Sir I dont have idea bout promotions in your organization and he start laughing.

EXL Service business analyst interview

Shankar ReddyFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surat for BUSINESS ANALYST role at EXL Service
Test Interview Interview Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test (Mathematical ability, Reasoning and Verbal ability)
Questions are not difficult, Time management is very important. It was very well designed test our overall abilities and communication skills. Test was online conducted by cocubes. Out of 220+ students who attempted test, only 27 were selected to next round. I expected them to select some 70-80 after 1st round.
Questions carry 1/3rd negative marks. Don't try to answer questions in order, find out easy questions and solve them first, as I said earlier, Time management is very important. I attempted arithmetic reasoning first, English (Verbal ability) next and then mathematical ability.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Doors were numbered from 1-100 and first time I close all doors next I open doors with numbers that are multiples of 2 next I close doors numbered with multiples of 3 and so on upto 100th time. After the 100th time which doors are open
  • Question 2: If I have 333 digits to number pages of a book, How many pages can I number ?
I focused more on my approach to solve the puzzle and that paid off. I didn't prepare for puzzles either so I tried to solve it in my own way and that might have impressed the interviewer. Some other questions like how many benches are there in this campus ? and If I wanted to start a Food center in the campus, How many customers can I expect etc questions were asked. These questions don't have any perfect answer but they see the way in which you attempt and explain it convincingly.
Be confident. If they ask anything, answer properly so If they ask questions like How many customers can I expect a day after starting a food court in your college, don't just give any random number, try to do some math and give a number so that you can explain why you gave that number .

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Many questions were asked like why are you joining this company ?
  • Question 2: what makes you stand out from the other candidates?
  • Question 3: What is your friends opinion on you ?
  • Question 4: If I have to sell a new phone to a customer that is very costly, how will you approach the customer?
  • Question 5: If your Manager gives you a task that can't be done what will you do ? Will you say directly that it can't be done or Will you waste time even though you know that it can't be done.
  • Question 6: What are your future plans and how our organization helps you in achieving those?
  • Question 7: Are you flexible to work in every type of work environment ?
  • Question 8: What do you do in your leisure times ?
This Interview is one of the best Interview Experiences I had. I was Interviewed by one of the senior vice presidents of the company. I enjoyed answering it. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I was frank to state my weaknesses and explained how I will over come them in my work place and all. I was asked a lot of questions and some times the interviewer twisted questions to see If I'm answering sincerely or just giving fake answers to the questions. This interview went so well that I was sure of my selection after this round.

And Interestingly, of the 27 members that were selected to 1st round of Interviews, I was 10th one as names were written alphabet wise. But I was the first one to be called out for 2nd round Interview.
Be clear and Confident with your answers. Answer after thinking for a while, they won't expect instant answers. Remember what you have answered as they might ask the same question again and you might get caught answering differently ( This happens when you fake your experiences and answers). Be frank, Sincere. You know your strengths and try to state your strengths to them (They might not ask you to say your strengths, you have to include them in some answers). Think different and answer in a way that most others won't.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How can you fit in our work environment ?
  • Question 2: Why EXL?
  • Question 3: Job or MBA ?
As I was confident of my selection after 2nd round of Interview, I stuck to my plans and answered well. I think this round was just to see If I would Join the company or not.
Stick to what you have answered earlier, they might compel you to change your answers just to see If you are confident with your answers. Remember that Raju's Interview in 3 Idiots ? He will be asked to be more diplomatic but he rejects that Idea .. My Interview was also similar.

• Analytic abilities
  • Convincing skills
  • Communication skills
  • My approach to problems
  • My attitude
Answers which you read in internet are not your experiences, so they aren't to be copied. Assess yourself and your answers have to reflect your experiences. I didn't prepare anything for Campus placements as I was confident of my skills. I took time in analyzing myself and the way in which I have to project myself in Interviews. I didn't prepare for GD's and PI's .

Mu Sigma business analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Raipur for BUSINESS ANALYST role at Mu Sigma
Test Problem Statement Group Discussion HR Interview

Aptitude of easy level.

Problem Statement

Learn the basics of a programming language. The problem solving round involved a psuedocode .For the video synthesis round question of our batch, Google "Toast for change" , there is a 5 minute video clipping and we were asked to synthesize it ( NOT summarize it!!! )

Consider a local hotel brand in a city that has established itself over a long span of time. However, due to the upcoming foreign brands it's popularity has reduced to an extent. So the management has decided to use a website to promote it. Discuss the criteria that should be considered while selecting a website.
    The gd consisted of two sections. In the first section the students had to discuss the points to be considered while selecting a website. Some of the points we had put up included the site should provide tour packages which is favoured by a lot of people, the site should be linked to applications like Google maps which can provide access to information like location etc,
    During the second part of the gd, the students were given five minutes to discuss and decide 3 main points out of all the points discussed previously.
    After the gd, the students were asked to 1) write down all the points discussed in the sheets provided 2) write down all the points which they have not mentioned during the gd but are relevant the topic
    1) Use the time given to think properly. A proper set of points goes a long way in improving your performance during the gd
    2) Read newspapers and articles on such topics. Will give an idea about such management issues
    3) Be loud. Makes one look more confident
    4) Listen to what the others have to say. The judging panel looks for a good speaker and a good listener. The advantage is twofold: firstly if you are out of points you can simply get something to speak about by combining what the others are saying and contradicting a few other like "I completely agree to what so and so have said but I would'nt quite agree to this because .....". The judges will note you as a good observer
    5) Donot dominate over others. A group discussion is not a debate where you have to take a side.
    6) try to add numbers and statistics in the discussion cause that's what analytics company want from their employees

Interview Questions
      The HR PI was quite casual, slightly informal. I was asked about family members etc, followed by a question about the reason for my drop year. The first question after the introduction was "tell me about yourself". This question can be predicted as "tell me about your qualities that make you fit for our company". I used this question to describe all the traits that made me suitable for them, and normally I justify each quality I mention immediately. Also I would advise you to emphasize qualities that set you apart from the crowd and make you fit for their company. The HR asked me why I intended to join an analytics company if all my projects were based on biomedical. My answer to the question was that my projects were all soft computing based, and hence most of the work I do involves using a set of data to predict something which is quite similar to what they do in Mu Sigma. The only difference lies in the fact that the work I do is based on bioloigical data and biological parameters and they used market and business data( please note that I could only bring this up since most of my work is based on neural networks and soft computing, please do prepare something to relate what you have done to what they do or simply mention you were always interested in analytics and playing with nos from the start).
      I was asked about a few projects of mine mentioned in my CV, I was asked to explain them, I was asked a few questions on neural networks(they only asked them cause I had mentioned it earlier)
      In the end the HR asked me if there is anything I would like to ask him, so I asked him to criticize me so I could work on the points where I lack. He gave me 2 points.
      Points to be noted about the hr pi:
      1) Observe the nature and personality of the PI. The video presentation at the beginning of the placement process gives a very good idea about the hr's personality, the work culture etc. So use this information to predict his nature and present yourself accordingly
      2) Relax. In my opinion the hr PI is the easiest and the most fun round in Mu Sigma.
      3) Use the tell me about yourself and the free question well. What you ask and what you say will give a very good glimpse of your true personality
      4) There is no need to be very formal and robotic but maintain politeness while answering.

1) Improve your aptitude solving ability.2) Learn the basics of a programming language. The problem solving round involved a psuedocode.3) For the video synthesis round question of our batch, Google "Toast for change" , there is a 5 minute video clipping and we were asked to synthesize it ( NOT summarize it!!! )

McKinsey business analyst interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Business Analyst role at McKinsey
        HR Interview Technical Interview Case Study Interview Other Interview

They had 4 interviews.
          McK1: Have faint recollections. However I remember I did well on the case and had loadsa HR involved specially in my work on internships and research paper.

Interview Questions
            McK2: The interviewer was a PhD in Chem Engg from Stanford followed by an MBA from Harvard. I found this before going in and got real nervous. He started off with some Chemical Engg questions and soon realized it was no use! (He did even comment that I had not learnt anything in Chem engg in the 4 years). We then moved on a case of petrochemical industry where a new player wanted to enter an oversaturated market. I concluded that scale is important and the entry has to be below the existing market price. Some HR including my question to him. Had a long discussion on Foreign MBA vs Indian MBA. At the end of the interview, I guess I had done a good enough job (surprisingly after the start I had) and was called in for the next 2 interviews..

Interview Questions
              McK3: This was a disaster! And a big one. I was given an extremely easy case on nuclear reactor vs coal reactor economics. Simple mathematics which I screwed up because of just 1 simple error. I realized the same pretty late and pointed it out. He said it was ok. No HR

Interview Questions
                McK4: The whole interview was a discussion on my BTP and seminar. BTP was related to Phosphoric Acid production. The discussion revolved around whether phosphoric acid should be produced in India or whether we should produce it outside from where we import ore. Then we moved on to my seminar which was related to Kyoto Protocol. Finally I asked question on how different is a foreign MBA vis a vis an Indian one. Very peaceful and fun interview!
                The single biggest mistake I committed was going in a haste into the McK 3rd interview. I got involved in some placement work between the interviews and forgot to carry my folder or even a pen. This is probably why I did not do well on the case (which was probably the easiest of all 8). Its very important that you take 5 minutes off before walking in, get your composure and stop worrying about other things and just attend to the interview on hand. Key learnings included the fact that it is relatively difficult to come back if you don't start well. Thus its is better to take something like 5 seconds before you answer the first 2-3 questions to recollect thoughts, organize them and frame them well. Also that you need to be comfortable with everything on your resume. I appeared for 8 interviews and never mentioned/was asked anything related to MI which I thought was the most important point on my resume. Instead I was questioned on my hobbies. Smallest points on the resume could be the ones you are grilled most on. Another very important thing about case interviews is the fact that the interviewer will be guiding you all through to the final solution. Any thing that he speaks should be heard and taken notice of. Most of the times there will be a small hint given at some point and all you need to do is catch on to it! Structuring your answers is extremely important. One more important thing to keep in mind is that all your answers should kind of show to the company that you can FIT into the company, the job and the culture. It is also important you walk in with the feeling that you can get the job. Specifically in cases, if you get stuck, take some time off to think. Structure your solution well, it carries the maximum weight.

Firstly suit up only in case you are comfortable in it. It makes no sense to wear it and be uncomfortable throughout. And in my opinion even if you do not wear one, it never goes against you (at least consulting). For companies like FMCG/Tech its better not to suit up because it doesn't go with the company cultures. If its IBanking, it is good if you wear one. It is very important that you have some questions for the interviewer for any given company. And it is more important that the questions are intelligent and genuine. Attending PPT/ reading up website is a must for the same. Most importantly you should not talk to any other candidate on interview experience before your interview. The interview changes for every candidate. If say for example you hear the case beforehand, the company is bound to find out which would ruin your chances for sure. Further talking to people who have already appeared increases the nervousness. Posture is something that you have to take care of. People have a tendency to relax which should not be the case. You should seem eager for both the interview and the job. While answering any question the most important things to keep in mind are • Take 5 seconds off before venturing into any answer. Compose your thoughts real well. Then start. Its better to get the whole thing in a impactful way then to miss out on certain points. It also doubles up as giving the interview a feel that you are thinking before answering.

Essex Lake Group business analyst interview

Parnil SinghFresherSelected
                  Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for Business Analyst role at Essex Lake Group
                  Resume Shortlist Guesstimate Interview HR Interview Case Study Interview

There was an initial shortlisting based on pure resume evaluation.There was a freshlist along with a waitlist. I was lucky to get shortlisted on the freshlist.
                  Give time to prepare your resume. Take a look at the resumes of seniors.Also get their feedback and comments on your resume.A lot of finishing is required.Dont do any mistakes on your resume.List your best attributes and make it as powerful as possible.Dont get dismayed by other's achievements, make your shine as brightly as possible.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
                  • Question 1: Estimate the amount of white paint required for speed breakers in Delhi.
                  • Question 2: Estimate the number of traffic signals in Delhi.
                  My first round was a guesstimate round.The questions asked were pretty basic and I breezed through.The interview was partially stress interview as the interviewer wasn't paying much attention to me, but staring into her phone.
                  Apart from the two guesstimate interviews, I was given a basic case to solve.
                  However 'Tell me about yourself' was asked initially to break the ice.So be ready with the answer!
                  Dont get perturbed by lack of attention from the interviewer, they are just testing you.

Interview Questions
                    This was an HR round. The experience was positive.
                    Be thorough with your HR answers.Students tend to delay HR prep a lot, however this round is often the deal breaker.You have to be likeable! So give sufficient time to your HR prep for questions like: "Tell me about yourself","Strenghts and Weaknesses"," Why you" and "Why this firm". Tell me about yourself is a very important question, make the answer unique and powerful.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: I own a cab service.Should I enter Delhi?Why or why not?
                    The question was basic however the round was a stress round.The interviewer was grim throughout the process.I proceeded step by step through the solution. I gave him three options for entering Delhi, saying that if he was ready to adopt these steps, he could enter the market (I don't remember all, however one was entering the luxury segment like BMW, Audi etc)
                    After 15 minutes, the interviewer told me that I was wasting his time and that I hadnt come up with a feasible solution.I was a little taken aback but I confidently stated that he had to adopt the steps I had suggested to enter otherwise he culd give up the endeavour.I also said that I wont lie to him just to please him. He then said" How would you feel if I offered you the job right now?"
                    Elated I accepted the offer.
                    Dont be scared.Take your stand,If the interviewer says your solution is rubbish, defend your answer well.Chances are they are just stressing you out. Ask ample questions.They might act that you are wasting your time, but dont hurry up.try to extract as many details about the case as possible.
                    The interviewer also said that the job is very hectic and involved travelling and if I was up for the challenge.I beamed and enthusiastically said that I was.

The last round was not an interview. I met with the GM of the company.She asked me a little about my interest in the firm and then proceeded to talk about herself and the company.It was a very positive and nice interaction.

• HR Skills
                    • Case Analysis
                    • Guesstimate Skills
                    Practice in groups of 3-4.Practice cases with a friend.

• How To Ace Brain Teaser Interview By John Kador,
                    • Case Interview Secrets,
                    • Case Interview Cracked (IIT B Case Book),
                    • Case In Point,
                    • Guesstimation by Lawrence Weisten,
                    Practice a lot of cases and guesstimates.They are not very tough, however you need time to get comfortable. Also by the time of the interview, you must have practiced many of them so that the interview would feel vvery easy.
                    Wanted to get into consulting industry.

Citicorp business analyst interview

Bhargava ExcaliburFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for BUSINESS ANALYST role at Citicorp
                    Test Interview Interview Interview

• Section 1: Basic quantitative ability
                    • Section 2: Math cases
                    The quantitative part is relatively easy, it is for testing the speed and accuracy, there are two math cases given the exam but they were also comparatively easy based on probability and statistics
                    In the math cases it is very important to analyse the result after solving it. that is what makes the difference because almost every one solves it

Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Tell me about your education background
                    • Question 2: Explain one of your internships or project
                    • Question 3: Do you want to ask any question?
                    The guy was one of the vice presidents in the firm. He seemed pretty cool.
                    They will make you more comfortable and they want you answer the questions.
                    Do not try to babble about all the courses that you have taken just brief him your specialization, projects and internships.

Try to explain an intern or project related to the position and be sure about what you are explaining these guys are technically very sound.

Try not to ask the bland questions like what are the opportunities at Citi , what is the vertical hierarchy in the firm. This is not an hr question and this is a trap. Ask him about the plunging profits or gains or what is citi's strategy to hold its position in certain countries. This will give him the impression that you did prepare for the interview.

Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Estimate the number of atm in India
                    • Question 2: Explain me about the internships followed by many questions
                    This was a mix of stress +guesstimate+ technical interview.
                    This round went so much longer than the first round. Some times they may ask an irrelevant question just to see how you react to it. In this round they have asked me everything about the projects and internships. As I told you they were technically sound they will track you up to every minute detail of the project. They have also asked many situation type questions. They have asked me about my high CGPA and why not a Ph.D.
                    Try to be as much cool as possible in this interview do not show a blank face to the interviewers when they have asked something from your CV. In the situation type questions try to relate those situations to something on your CV and then tell them how you have solved it. And you must be a master of your CV you must be able to answer about a particular graph or result from your project even during sleep. they shoot a lot of questions at you and answer them as appropriately as you can. Be sure to know what your strengths and weakness are. do not try to disguise your weakness as a strength, they will find out that you are trying to fake, they have seen thousand of candidates like you.

Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Why are you going for analytics though you have graduated from mining engineer.
                    • Question 2: Why not Ph.d
                    • Question 3: Why citi
                    • Question 4: Do you need to ask me anything
                    I had a friendly chat with the HR to begin with as he was asking about my surname and stuff. the interview went on for 15-20 mins of the phone. here you need to really explain about why you are interested in citi and why you are into analytics
                    Follow the same tips mentioned in the third round.

• Speed
                    • Accuracy
                    • Analytical ability
                    • Stress handling
                    • statistical methods basics
                    • reasoning
                    Good technical knowledge is required and taking statistics courses would really help

• Applied Multivariate Statistical Modelling,
                    • Applied Multivariate Statistical Modelling,
                    Be thorough with your projects and internships and do not try to fake the technical details
                    Nice work life balance and growth in the firm and the firms stability

A.T. Kearney business analyst interview

Om PatelFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for BUSINESS ANALYST role at A.T. Kearney
                    Resume Shortlist Behavioural Interview Case Study Interview

There are certain things and traits consultants surely look for, but there's never a fixed answer to right candidature. Yes lot of it depends on how you perceive your achievements and showcase it on your resume, it's part of the selection procedure!
                    Do Homework. Make tables or matrices anything you're comfortable with for getting to know about yourself better. To establish traits and your impact on all the kind of work or causes you've supported. Don't get stuck on popular sentiments about PORs, etc. Concisely showcase your traits and how you think they helped you in past achieve what you have.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: What/Why/How do you think you're suitable for offered profile?
                    In general, I find all kinds of interviews behavioral. In the end what matters is your ability to grasp and display confidence to get the job done. I found if I had to point single most factor why they picked me, it will be my behavior and confidence. Probably people were more technically sound or possessing PORs etc, when given a surprising or challenging task I was most willing to not give up and dive deeper into solution rather than anything else.
                    Too many candidates have the technical skill set required to get the job done, but how you conduct yourself, showcasing willingness to learn and belief in yourself to get it done matters the most. Again like for resume, make a table matrix anything to jot down traits required for the job on one side, and how you can explain that you possess them on other side.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Client is FMCG firm. We have 10 kinds of products, 40 warehouses, 40 selling stations, CEO thinks inventory costs in the whole process are high. How to reduce them?
                    Again to reiterate, what matters is how you maintain cool to understand question and naturally thinking to go about finding the solution rather than jumping at conclusions. I didn't know all the inventory types or formulae, but showed interest to figure out solution through all the number of ways I could think. To understand business anyways, to interact and involve interviewer in the process, communicating fluently without any pressure understanding that it's just a question and there is no exact right answer, I just have to give my best.
                    I couldn't solve the case at all, but managed to 'crack the interview'. By showing willingness to go all in on data and facts available, asking all the questions that I thought mattered and involving the interviewer in discussion and my thinking. Good communication skills, ability to work in teams and determination to not give up are enough to get the job done.

• Communication
                    • Analytical
                    In analytical be good in Breaking complex cases into simple parts. Read up Steve Jobs- The Biography (Yes rather than quizzes, puzzles or HR questions. Inspiration matters!)

• Victor Cheng case book,
                    • Steve Jobs- The Biography ,
                    Videos
                    • Victor Cheng case solution workshop at HBS,
                    Placements aren't the end. Nothing is, so take it easy and rock it.
                    Fastest growing global management consulting firm. They have global staffing and provide maximum travel and global exposure as opposed to any other management consulting firm visiting IIT campuses. They benchmark McKinsey and hence are up to mark in perks, benefits and work culture.
                    Didn't know anything about case on inventory costs, while interviewer expected inventory types to formulae for solving it eventually. I spent 45 minutes talking and asking questions on businesses of clients, applying case solving frameworks and discussing anything closest to inventory troubles I could think of. He smiled after 45 minutes and stopped case solving, started talking about geographies, cultures and fun in traveling!

Urban Ladder business analyst interview

ShilochanaFresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for BUSINESS ANALYST role at Urban Ladder
                    Resume Shortlist Interview Test Interview Group Discussion

I had really good points in my resume. I had done few courses related to data analysis, projects (my DD project was related to data analysis), PORs.
                    I prepared my resume points very thoroughly. I wrote about each point and then discussed with my friends and took their opinion about that.
                    Its better to review your review by atleast 5-8 people. so that you can make relevant changes. I think, it's good to highlight the end result of any project or intern.
                    Try to connect ur resume point to the skills required for the company.

Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: The number of windows in IIT ?
                    • Question 2: sales are increasing but profit is decreasing. what would you approach this in any context or in given mess
                    These two questions were asked in two different case interviews. My overall experience was good. In first one, I had good approach because I had done one project in which I followed the similar approach (how the whole institute can be categorized and how to calculate the number of ppl according different sections- students, profs, employees, workers etc)
                    As the second case, i felt was tough because how mess work in our college is different from any other private canteen. So for that you had to ask many questions.
                    In the case interviews, interviewer just check for approach but they expect you to reach at conclusion also. As you start solving the case, you can ask for extra information during solving it.

Most of the companies will have 60 questions in 60 mins. most of the companies (analytics profile)1/3 of portion will be verbal. My overall experience with tests was not good.
                      I felt, the time was less. It's good to prepare for CAT, so that you don't have to prepare separately for aptitude which i did mistake.

Interview

Interview Questions
                      • Question 1: Why you want to work with us? why would you prefer this profile? ur strength, weakness?
                      These all questions were asked in third round of interview. I had very strong reason to choose business analyst profile and the company because my courses and projects showed my interest in this field.
                      I think, it's good to be honest and answer the HR questions. even I gave myself 9/10 points for analytical skills.
                      even if you haven't done any work related to this field but you show interest and have good analytical skills, then also any company will select you.
                      It's good to have overall idea of how any business works in the given sector which can help you in asking relevant question when they ask if you have any question for them. Good question which shows ur depth of understanding of industry, gives really good impression on interviewer.

This company didn't have group discussion. This was my first company and i got into it.
                      I practised many GDs with my friends and i attended soft skill workshop by tvs. The workshop was not helpful. The mock GDs and interviews which were organised by alumni associations were really helpful. They give feedback also.

One can google out the GD topics and practice with wing mates.

• Analytical skills

• Process Optimization,
                      • Applied time series analysis,
                      • Multivariate Data Analysis,
                      • probability and statistics ,
                      Try to be optimistic during interview in any context.
                      I applied for almost all companies expect coding profile but i wanted analyst profile and luckily i got it.

I like mathematics and this was the field where i can pursue my interest.
                      My name is difficult to pronounce. So my very first question was, 'how to pronounce it and meaning of it'.

Another funny moment when i forgot the name of scholarship because i was so nervous.