Associate Consultant

Associate Consultant Interview Questions and Tips

SHANTANU MISRAFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at BCG
Interview Interview Interview Interview Interview Interview

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: At what time did you wake up? What did you do after that?
  • Question 2: Roughly how many students in IIT K end up working in non-core sectors? Do you think it is a problem for the society that a lot of students don’t contribute to their core areas of engineering?
  • Question 3: Did you want to be a consultant from the very beginning?
  • Question 4: Tell me something about your life in IITK.
The interviewer was Rohit Vohra, Partner and Director.

Interview

The Case Study was a ‘Market Entry’ problem. An office-furniture company wanted to enter into home-furniture business. I had to evaluate whether it should do so or not. I asked for some time to structure my answer. He was very helpful during the entire case study and guided me whenever I went in a direction where I wasn’t supposed to go. I also asked a lot of questions. The entire interview lasted for about 40-45 minutes. The interviewer was very pleasant in his manner and the interview went off quite well. After about 10-15 minutes, I was sent for my second interview.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself.
  • Question 2: Of the various positions of responsibility that you held, which one did you enjoy the most and which one the least?
This interview was taken by Shweta Bajpai, Project Leader who was also the Recruitment Head. She was an IIT K alumnus. This interview took around 35-40 minutes.

Interview

The Case Study was a ‘Growth Strategy’ question.
A metal casing manufacturer wants to double her revenues over the next 5 years. What should she do? I began by asking a few pertinent questions about the company’s product and customers. I then listed out a few growth strategies. She pointed out that she wanted more possible approaches. I pointed out a few but the general nature of our exchange was that the moment I would sum up a strategy, she would drop a hint for another. I would latch on to it and this process went on for about 2 or 3 times. She then asked me that in light of the initial question, which strategy would be best-suited for our client. I answered the same. I came out of the room thinking that I had messed up really badly because she had practically solved the entire case herself. I had a very strong inkling that that interview was my last with BCG. By this time, BCG people had started asking some of us to go if we had interviews with any other company which was a kind way of saying that you are not selected in BCG. I politely inquired one of the consultants whether I was supposed to stay or go. He checked with his colleagues and replied with a very warm smile that I was supposed to stay on.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why did you give up debating after 2007? (Probably the most intelligent question that could have been asked from my resume)
  • Question 2: Why didn't you go for a company or university internship? Didn't you feel that this would reflect badly on your profile?
  • Question 3: Since you have done a lot of modelling in one of your projects, don’t you think you are more suited for a career in finance?
  • Question 4: What are your long-term career plans?
  • Question 5: How long are you prepared to work for BCG?
This interview was taken by Saurabh Tripathi, Partner and Director. He was also an IIT K alumnus, the President Gold Medalist of his batch. He was the one who had given us the PPT at Taj. Moreover, I also had the opportunity of having a long conversation with him because we were seated at the same table during dinner. He began the interview by pointing out the same. He then asked some very tricky and pointed PI questions:

Interview

The Case Study that followed was again one of its kind, to say the least. It involved a hypothetical bank that had just 6 products: 3 kinds of fixed deposits (maturity period of 1 year, 2 years and 3 years) and 3 kinds of loans (again 1, 2 and 3 year maturity period). The rates of interests on the fixed deposits were 3, 4 and 5 % p.a. respectively and on loans were 5, 6 and 7 % p.a. respectively. The owner wanted to increase the bank’s profitability. What should she do?
I would be paltering with the truth if I don’t admit that I was a little taken aback by the question. I took some time and then asked him some questions to which he gave a very brief (though not curt at all) ‘yes’ or ‘no’ as an answer. In fact, during the entire case, he was busy on his Blackberry paying no attention to what I was doing. One of the first things that I asked was whether the objective was to increase ‘profits’ or ‘profitability’ because the technical definition of the two was different. He smiled (I think in appreciation) and replied that he wanted me to focus on ‘profits’. After that, I gave a few recommendations. He complicated the case further by saying that the principal amount of 1-year products was same. This constraint was applicable for 2-year and 3-year products as well. That is, the principal amount of fixed deposit and loan of 1-year was same, and so on.

Again, I gave a few recommendations. After a while, he said that he was in a bit of a hurry and that that was all as far as the interview was concerned. I felt as if nothing concrete had come out as the solution to the case. I asked him how I had done in the case. As was his wont, he answered with a very brief - ‘‘Given the time available, you did fine’’.
I was a little confused after this interview. I had no idea about the last case study. However, I knew that the PI part went off well. After about 10 minutes, I was asked to go and meet Saurabh Tripathi again. I went into his interview room and he gave me a job offer!

Between July 2007 (when I joined the institute) and May 2011, I had considered and pursued IAS, MBA and research as potential career options at various points of time. But in May ‘11, I decided that the safer thing to do would be to take up a job and think about the various existential questions later. As far as my personal preferences go, I liked what I read about consulting. But being from a department where core companies are non-existent for all practical purposes; I was aiming for most of the non-core companies. I

was conscious of one thing though, viz. I did not want to work for a company that was catering to overseas

clients or to its own overseas office. The idea was that I did not want to join a company which was employing me just because I was cheaper than the Westerners. So, although after BCG, the second best choice for me in the first slot was Opera, I was not excited about it at all.

My entire preparation, especially the part related to resume and interview was done under the guidance of

Ashwini Dikshit (career counsellor, IITK). I think what worked for me was that I was quite organized in my

preparation. At no stage was I hurried into mistakes. By September, I had prepared the final draft of my 1-page resume. If you think you have a good profile and you can get a shortlist, then you should devote a lot of time to your resume. I would suggest that resume preparation should be started in summers itself. It is also very important to take help and guidance because there is a certain way to make a resume which does not come naturally to most of us. I prepared for aptitude tests by solving the CAT previous years’ question papers. If you are preparing for non core companies, one of the things which you should do is preparing for CAT. Most companies other than consulting firms and core companies, take an aptitude test (including the analytics-consulting firms) and contrary to the common notion, most of them ask English questions as well. Moreover, a good score in CAT will only open up options. I did not prepare for GD because out of all the companies that I was aiming for, very few had GD as a part of their process.

For case study preparation, I was a part of the Case Study Club of SPO which met around thrice in September October period. Apart from that, I practised with my friends. Some good casebooks in decreasing order of their usefulness are Case in Point, Indian School of Business’s casebook and Kellogg’s casebook. It is highly advisable to get hold of various IIMs’ casebooks if you can. While practising a case, the emphasis should be on what new you learn from that particular case. So, more than the mock case study sessions themselves, the analysis that you do afterwards is important.

For the Personal Interview preparation, I had prepared the answers for most of the commonly asked questions and more importantly had given around 5 mock interviews before December. One should sit and right down the answers of the various commonly-asked questions and go through these answers again and again to hone them. If possible, get these answers checked by someone experienced in interview preparation. The idea is not to memorize the answers, but to have a fairly good idea about what points you are going to cover. As a thumb rule, all companies are looking for ‘high energy’ and ‘low maintenance’ guys. Make sure, you sound like one!

Apart from the above mentioned preparation, I read ‘The Indian Express’ and ‘Economic Times’ regularly

(wasn't able to do it daily though) to get a feel of current and business affairs. One final pointer as far as placement preparation is concerned, DO NOT WORRY and do not indulge in useless placement-related gossips. They only eat away your time and energy.

I think what worked well for me in all the interviews was that I was listening very attentively to what theinterviewers were saying or asking. That meant that I was always answering the right questions and was also responding to the hints and clues which the interviewers were giving. In all the interviews, I had a good discussion with the interviewer. A lot of people say that a good interview is the one which is more of adiscussion rather than a question-answer session. By that definition, my interviews went off well. As I hadmentioned earlier, some people claim that the case study workshop which was held on November 16th wasevaluative. If it was so, then I would have got some extra points since I was able to do well in the case that I was asked.

Vishesh SharmaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at BCG
    Resume Shortlist Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

This part is frustrating; especially while getting reviews after you've made a draft. However, after heavy editing based on advice from seniors, it gave me a good head-start and confidence to move on to future preparation towards placements.
    Management consulting shortlist is very strongly resume based. Hence the resume is the most crucial asset for getting a shortlist in the first place. When you know the success rate for getting shortlisted is less than 10%, you better make sure your resume makes the cut.

Detailed instructions and tips on how to make a good consulting resume can be found in many books(I referred to 'Killer Consulting Resumes' by Wetfeet which is good to get your basics); It is too extensive for me to elaborate here hence I will avoid the commonly available knowledge about peaks, focus, etc.

Summarizing the most important aspect which according to me is - Make sure every bullet-ed point has three things - 'WHAT you did, WHY/HOW you did, and the RESULTS'. All 3 should be included in one single line of text in the most robust use of words making sure you convey these. Another extremely important step in making a resume is getting reviews from seniors and alumni in firms where you are applying. This part is irritating and frustrating at times because you will need multiple iterations till the resume is refined. The key is not to get affected while getting reviews from different people and stay as objective as possible - trust me, this is not that easy as it sounds, it gets demotivating when people are critiquing on what you did in your life and how should it be portrayed on paper. This process of getting comments will never stop even after multiple iterations because of difference in opinions among the reviewers; you need to stop when you have knowingly turned down several comments keeping your own perspective in mind till you are content with your resume.

Finally make sure you complete your resume well before deadlines to avoid blunders and dissatisfaction and make sure a printed copy looks aesthetically appealing.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Case: Our client is a leading cement manufacturing firm in India looking to enter the international markets. How will you formulate a plan of action to prioritize which geography should they enter?
    General format for all the case study rounds was: (1) Tell me about yourself : I had prepared a list of what I wanted to speak about and memorized the key points to present a 2 minute monologue. However, I very keenly made sure to strike a conversation on any part where the interviewer interrupted me out of interest to ensure it sounded more like a conversation between two colleagues rather than a speech by a candidate to an interviewer. (2) Case: Coming back to the case mentioned in the question above:I considered 3 factors:(1) Market size for each geography and their growth rates(2) Market capture from competition(3) Profit per unitInterviewer: Using 1 graph each and nothing else, represent all of the 3 factors mentionedI drew the 3 most relevant graphs that came to my mind for each of the 3 factors mentioned. (3) Questions for the interviewer: I used to generally ask the guys outside the interview room to give me a brief introduction of the interviewer before the interview started. I used to use that information to ask a question to the interviewer in this part of the interview hoping to strike a chord with him before leaving.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: My driver has been given an offer by Meru cabs to become a driver for them. What suggestion should I give him?
    Ask objective of driver? – Higher returns

Calc returns (profits) for each case as your driver and as a Meru cabs driverSalary 15000 per month + bonus of 1 month salary annually.

Meru cabs: Aggregator (no cabs of their own)
    Driver need to get his own car and register on Meru cabs.

Cost on EMI: new car – 30000 p.m. Old car –
    15000 p.m.

Cost of maintainence of old car: Rs 1.5/km

Meru promises 15 pickups of 20 km each day at Rs
    30/km. There is an additional 50% driving distance which is not paid by client

Cost of fuel = Rs 72/L. Mileage 12 kmpl

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Your client is Tata Sons and their hierarchy is such that all their other businesses are present below the CEO. In 2012, Mistry was appointed as the chairman of Tata Sons. In addition, he is also chairman of all major Tata companies including Tata Industries, Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Power, Tata Teleservices, Indian Hotels, Tata Global Beverages and Tata Chemicals. He wants to decide how to manage the different businesses, shut any of them down, purchase new businesses, enter a new market etc.
    I typically had never expected a case of this sort as it was too broad and undefined to give in an interview. However, it clearly looked like a case of organisational reconstruction and portfolio management. In the little time I had, I decided to give an idea of how I would proceed to solve such a case rather than really solve the case by using the BCG matrix. I clearly explained the matrix making sure I had conveyed that I knew what is actually was rather than just throwing jargon around.

I don't really know how the interviewer took my approach(as it was too text-bookish);he could neither object since it was an established case solving technique nor appreciate it as there was nothing creative in it.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Our client is a gear manufacturer who has expanded his father’s business from 1000 cr to 4000 cr however his profitability has dropped from 10% to 5%. Probe why has this happened?
    Use costs and discuss – final problem was increased R&D costs for customization of various gears while adding new clients

• Problem Solving

• Several University Casebooks,
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/caseinterview/videos [All 12 videos],

Ernst & Young associate consultant interview

Gudisa NithinFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Associate Consultant role at Ernst & Young
    Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Behavioural Interview HR Interview HR Interview

Wish you all the best for your placements. 395 students applied for the profile. There were 3 profiles of Asscociate Consultant, Exceutive, Executive PFI open for the placements during December 2016. 7, 2 and 8 students got placed in each profile. 95 students are shortlisted for GD out of 395 students applied for this profile.

The students were allowed to apply for all the 3 profiles but were asked for preference later among these 3 profiles. Students are shortlisted for only 1 profile based on their 1st preference so be careful in choosing your interested profile. I don't know the criteria for resume shortlist exctly other than the preference selected out of 3 profiles
    1. Choose your profile preference with utmost care as it decides the final shortlist for GD of each profile.
    2. Be careful in writing your RESUME as the interview is completely on Resume and HR questions. There were no puzzles/ guesstimates/ anything else other than resume and HR in interviews

There was a group of 10. We were asked to choose our own topic. As the topic trending is Demonetization everyone unanimously agreed with the suggested topic by one of the group members. This was a very big advantage as compared to other groups where the topic was given by the moderator and were very difficult to speak. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOUR OWN QUESTION BY SUGGESTING THE ONE YOU'RE BEST AT. YOU'LL LOSE IF YOU'RE AFRAID.

I've started the discussion by structuring and spoke moderately during the GD. It was difficult due to a good group and tough competition. Please get proper GD fundaes as it's very important to get selected for the interview.

It's very important to note the points during discussion. In our case, moderator asked everyone in the group to conclude and you can't do it without writing down points from discussion
    1. Sit back relaxed. Never lean to front on your chair and never slouch.
    2. Try crossing your legs as it shows your confidence to the moderator and highly increases your chance of shortlisting.
    3. Always keep smile on your face. Remember it's just a smile.....don't laugh/ smile very wide. Smile reduces the tension/ stress in you and gives a lot of relief to everyone.
    4. Take note of the points spoken by all to give a conclusion.
    5. SLIGHTLY RISKY BUT PAYS OFF A LARGE DIVIDEND - Try taking a stand different from everyone in your group. It makes the moderator think you add a different perspective to the team in general and you'll get shortlisted. But be careful that you need to have such stance during discussion and also need to mention points supporting your argument.

Ex: In the end when moderator asked to conclude I said "I'm not in support of Demonetization" whereas everybody else said they were in support of Demonetization

Behavioural Interview

It began with a minute of silence which stressed me but don't speak random things to start. Let the interviewer start the interview. You just wish him, shake your hands, give your resume and take a seat. Then he asked, "Tell me about yourself which should be very well prepared if you want this job. MOST OF MY INTERVIEW WAS BASED ON POINTS MENTIONED IN TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF. So, include the best of resume in this question. I've included my intern, operations management course, PoR with an initiative, my best project BTech Project (BTP).

Then he asked about my BTP which involved lot of Data analytics. I've explained the tools used and the entire process briefly including all the techniques used. He was satisfied with my answer due to the confidence levels even though he doesn't know a lot about data analytics.

Next he asked me about Market Research internship which I almost explained for 10 minutes. This was my best pitching point and I've prepared well. It has caught lot of interest in him. It was similar to the work I would be doing after I get this job. So he liked it and asked more about it.

Later he asked about innovation. In this I mentioned one of my project where we designed a new mechanism. Giving examples is the best way to answer any interview question. It means you've done something regarding it than just preparing the answers.

Stregths - Of course everyone needs to prepare it. MOST IMPORTANT Question. Mention the qualities given in skills required along with Job description provided by the company in portal. Again give examples for the qualities mentioned.

Weaknesses - There are several answers available online. Choose the one that suits you best and is not a problem to the company. Try not saying routine answers like too hard-working or too perfect. I said that I used to struggle working on multiple projects in my 1st year. And I've improved a lot by planning and did 3 PoR's in my 3rd year and have given very good results.

Future 5 years- Divide it into short-term(2-3 years) and long-term(5 years). Mention you'll explore and develop expertise in 2-3 years. Then you'll choose the domain of your interest and lead a team to offer best solutions to clients giving a larger impact on the society.

He asked about instances where I was a team-player, when I did social service. He also questioned me about my views regarding turning into a farmer and also about organic farming.

Finally he asked me if I had any questions. My question was "What's the role of analytics in Consultancy copmanies as we don't see lot of information in this sector?" He has explained it for quite some time which is a good sign of asking a good question and lands you brownie points.
    1. Be thorough with your Resume. He may ask anything from it and you should be able to answer. He didn't go anything out of it so better write a good resume to drive our interview
    2. Prepare an exhaustive set of questions by doing good ground work online using Ambition box, Glass door.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
    • Question 2: Explain about your intern
    • Question 3: Explain the analytics project
    • Question 4: Instance about my creative/ innovative skills
    • Question 5: Team-work instances
    • Question 6: Why consulting? Why EY?
    • Question 7: How would you parents/ friends/ mentors/ teachers/ colleagues describe you in one word?
    • Question 8: Do you have any questions?
    It began with the same question Tell me about yourself. Please maintain consistency in giving this answer at every round as they will definitely cross-check your qualities for evaluating you in their evaluation forms. I've mentioned 3 main points in this answer which were asked during the interview. Nothing else was questioned much.

I've explained about my intern, project etc. from the resume.

I've given an example of my competition being converted into course project for my innovative and creative skills. Later I've mentioned my social service activities. I have given many projects of mine as examples to prove that I'm a team-player.

Be best prepared with questions like Why consulting? Why not a start-up? Why corporate job? Why this company? You can use sources like 64 HR Questions.

Be prepared with your list of qualities for strengths. It has helped me in mentioning different types of qualities for each part of the question regarding parents/ friends/ team members/ mentors/ teachers etc.

Of course, I've prepared for only one question to ask and I've been asked if I had any questions in every interview. The interviewer was kind enough to let me go saying that it's not necessary to have questions. I was so happy with the situation. I was quite sure that I'm placed with the end of this round as they kept on taking me round by round for each interview continuously without any gap.
    1. Be prepared with all the possible HR questions based on ground work using Ambition Box, Glass door. Don't overprepare which will give a feeling that you've by-hearted the answers. Just list out the points for each question and go through them several times so that you can fit that point at any time during the interview just like I've used strengths for the question about my qualities.
    2. Be confident and don't bluff
    3. Be thorough with your resume
    4. Have questions in the end to ask

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell me about yourslef
    • Question 2: Explain points in resume that are mentioned in Tell me about yourself
    • Question 3: Are you okay working at any location?
    • Question 4: Which sector would you like to work in if given an offer?
    • Question 5: Do you have any questions?
    It was a job fitting round. I'm sure about my offer after 2nd round of interview. So, I was more confident. However, you shouldn't mess up at any stage before getting the offer letter at least. So you need to do this well too.

Regarding location, say you're okay with any place. Regarding sector ask them for options and choose what interests you more. Also say that you would like to explore and then decide the interested domain in 2-3 years but as of now you would like to begin in that particular sector.

• Integrity
    • Team Player
    • Self-Awareness

KPMG associate consultant interview

Krishna TejaFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at KPMG
    Resume Shortlist Guesstimate Interview HR Interview

There were many profiles in KPMG for which they wanted to recruit - Strategy and operations consulting, Edu Analyst, etc. Since there was no test conducted for any of these profiles, they directly shortlisted through resume. There seemed to be a CGPA cutoff of 7 looking at the list of candidates who have been called for further rounds.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell us about yourself?
    • Question 2: Some Questions on the work i did in my college, which is there on my resume?
    • Question 3: Estimate the no. of affordable homes (according to New govt. project) that will be needed to be constructed in Andhra Pradesh?
    This interview was taken by 2 people. People generally prepare for puzzles, case studies, guesstimates, etc through out the semester. But frankly i went on to sit for these campus placements with very less preparation on any of these.So i was a bit worried on how i can pull of an interview without all of that! What i did realize from the entire experience - from mine and that of my friends, is that the questions given in the interviews are not really tough. One can solve them if he just thinks through the problem there and then itself- without thinking that I have not done this earlier, i didn't prepare, etc. I did do some mistakes while solving the problem, but they helped me to correct them in the process and arrive at the solution.
    Here again as everyone say, YES, What they are looking at is the way you are structuring or solving the problem. How much are you comfortable with numbers, pulling off simple calculations with that, etc. Having said all of that above, about preparation, BUT it does help and a bit of practice earlier only makes one feel more confident for the interview!
    Good communication skills is always a plus for any interview. The way you tell about yourself, the work you did, etc. And this is something that any company expects now in the age we live in.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell us about yourself?
    • Question 2: Why do you want to choose consulting now as your career option?
    • Question 3: What kind of skills do you think you have suitable for that? Tell us 5?
    • Question 4: Having said perseverance as 1 quality, they asked me to tell 10 components of a mobile tower? I can use my mobile connection and tell in 3 min!!!
    • Question 5: Do you want to do MBA after this?
    • Question 6: You seem to have done a lot of Marketing? What have you done here when you worked as ......?
    • Question 7: Discussion on my love for travelling? Where have you been, etc!
    • Question 8: What is so special about Delhi since you have been here since 4 years?
    • Question 9: Preferred place of posting? Will you even go to Calcutta?
    This interview was taken by 3 people, which is enough to make anyone a bit nervous when you have a panel interviewing rather than a single person. Even i was! Also they were trying to create a STRESS environment by countering most of the things i said or questioning them even more. They were also friendly at the same time. I didn't have prepared answers for any of the questions asked, i was just very honest with them on what i really felt about each one of them. And if there is one thing i learnt from all the interviews - 3 in total that i faced, being honest and confident is the key to crack to the interviews. I think that way i sort of started building a connect with them with the really HONEST answers that i gave them - something that i believed in truly! So they liked me that way.
    Being prepared again with a few basic questions about yourself will help. Like knowing your strengths, why do u want to do that job, etc. It will anyways be helpful to know about yourself through these questions. But be prepared to get any kind of question in this kind of HR interview. Just be Honest. I very much believe in this " Dil ki baat dil pe hi lagti hai" :) :P
    Look into the eyes of the panel when you are speaking. Helps build connect with them. Present yourself just the way you are. I m sure, They ll love you! One easy technique to get over these nervousness and all of that is start feeling the panel as someone like your friend, family, etc whom you are just meeting and telling YOUR STORY in those 30-40 min, that will ease out of a lot of things.

• Problem solving
    • How you are structuring a problem!
    • Mental Math
    • Number crunching

• CAT books,
    • Case in Point,
    Although this company didnt take a test. But generally most of the companies did take a test. So prepare for them. Prepare through CAT books, it is enough. Practice can be done on the net as well.For interviews prepare for Guesstimates, Case study and look into some standard puzzles. For case study prep, "Case in point" is the best and will suffice! Others- Guesstimates and puzzles can be looked up for on the net.

Preparation (which will help you be confident as well) + Honesty + Communication skills is the key!!!

Diamond Management & Technology Consultants associate consultant interview

Shrey MalpaniFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at Diamond Management & Technology Consultants
    Resume Shortlist Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

My resume had a bit of everything with excellence in management skills. My academics were stronger than extra curriculars and I had a reputed internship in the list.
    Let your resume reflect your true self. Be precise and ensure that each achievement brings out a unique quality. In the language of most people, you need to have one spike and be good in 2 more sections of the resume

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: A case on an orthodox african country who are suffering from an epidemic and the US Health Department wants to invest in building toilets there. I was asked to find out whether they should go for it and if yes, then what should be the size of the investment?
    Probably the best case that I ever solved in terms of my performance. I started with some questions to gather more background information about the problem at hand like the geography of the place, the nature of diseases, other issues and assumptions by the US Health Department etc. and gathered some data related to the issue. Based on the data and some minor analysis I could say that the decision being made by the Health Department is wrong. The interviewer was very supportive and kept guiding me throughout my thinking process
    1. Start with an intent to gain complete information about the problem and your background questions should not reflect your intent to jump to the solution of the problem. Your aim is to get all the information you might need.
    2. If at any moment you need to reconsider any assumption that you have made, feel free to do that and take a step back. Don't make assumptions without consulting with the interviewer in the first place.
    3. Think out loud, the interviewer should no the reason behind each and every step that you take. It would turn out to your benefit for sure.
    4. Do not accept whatever the interviewer says. Gather enough information or data to corroborate that.
    5. Having a perfect framework is a myth. Your frameworks might fail completely in some interviews. So be prepared to be instinctive and don't just stick to your frameworks.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Since my internship was at ITC, the interviewer asked me to evaluate whether the ban on sale of single cigarettes could be an opportunity for ITC in some manner?
    This was a very unusual case interview. Having heard to the question I was convinced that I don,t need any framework for this and decided to keep the pen and paper aside (a risky move that I would advice not be followed by anyone). I had almost 20 mins. of discussion with the interviewer with ideas flowing from both sides of the table and I could feel it 10 mins. into the interview that I am doing a good job and will be selected without having to go for any further round(s).
    1. Be prepared for some out of the box cases. This was something like an HR-cum-case interview within the case that was asked.
    2. Always be prepared with some HR questions as they will be a part of every interview in consulting companies. There is no separate HR round.
    3. Try to judge from the interviewer's reactions and facial expressions what he might be thinking or what makes him happy. This might be difficult to do but it worked for me in this case and I cracked a few jokes along with the interviewer on smoking and college students.
    4. Believe in yourself. I walked in with the belief that this is the firm that I am going to and came out with an offer. You have to stay composed on that day, then and only then will you be able to ace the interview that you want.

• Analytical Skills
    • Logical Approach
    • Organisational Skills
    • Communication
    • presentation skills
    Not everyone might look for all of these but you need to inculcate these skills in yourself to become a good consultant and to ensure that you can ace each and everything that the interviewer might be looking for.

• How To Ace the Brain Teaser Interview,
    • Case In Point,
    • Wharton Case Book,
    Prepare in groups to make sure that you have experienced the interview-like environment many times before. Make sure that your job group is not larger than 4 people and includes people whom you dont know very well so that you can have a bit of formal interaction with them and you wont know what the person is like (an element that will be there in your interviews). At the same time, form the group with people having similar backgrounds and accomplishments as you have.
    One of the biggest factors was Diamond being a subsidiary of Pricewaterhouse Coopers. The work environment in the company is very supportive and exciting and the possibility of learning seemed to be the most from this company. This is the most important aspect for me at the beginning of my career.
    Well the funniest part is the post offer dinner with the company, when one of my interviews says that "this guy was amazing, we had a chat for 20 mins. and he didn't use his pen a single time." Cracking jokes about each other and getting to know the secrets of people at your workplace, its all fun at the dinner.

Archit ChoudharyFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at BCG
    Resume Shortlist Interview Interview Interview

Started working on it pretty early. Completed a first draft and sent it across to 5-6 seniors. Tried to get an opinion from
    seniors of various profiles like consulting, finance and FMCG. Met them personally and took feedback. Reworked the same around 3 times. Made sure I only have things on my resume which I could talk on comfortably. Made sure the formatting was proper and concentrated on what value addition I did at various places rather than just describing the work. Did prepare my BTP and seminar well and studied up 1 course as the favourite course (did not need it though :D)
    Yes attended all the PPTs (had to :P). It helps you a lot to look at the PPT as it gives a lot of idea on what a company is looking forward to and how exactly to prepare for it. Further it does give clarity to a great extent on the type of job being offered. Talking to seniors from companies you serious about helps a lot and PPTs are the best place to get to meet them. First of all the previous Be Prepared documents. Did not do any Puzzles/Technical/GDs. HR questions the usual ones available on the net. However had a couple of sessions with people who were good at this to get feedback. Cases practised in groups, did not read up any theory/cases. Just practised in the group. Used the Kellogg and Wharton case guides.

Interview

BCG had 4 rounds of interviews and the initial short lists were 28, short list after second interview was 8, and final offers were 5. Cases and HR: In a group of 4 people. Ideal size should be 3-4 people. One person used to get a case and administer to all the other 3. This way we could check on what one is doing correctly and incorrectly. Constructive feedback is really important. While administering cases we made sure that we did couple it with a bit of HR so as to get an exact feel of interviews. Did somewhere around 6-7 cases exhaustively. Read a couple as example initially. Did not do any test preparations as had done some CAT preparation (which does help a lot) HR: Did some amount with group. But primarily analysis like future plans, why the company, strengths weaknesses etc with people who knew me well enough and could actually help me realize these.

Interview

BCG1: Started off with question on Bridge. Then we did a case of an Air Conditioner Manufacturing company which was losing money. The case revolved around the way dealers were placing the product. Solved the case pretty quick and thus had another 10 odd minutes of HR on things like your biggest achievement till date and why a consulting career. BCG2: This was probably the most difficult interview I had all day (at least that is what I felt). We directly started off with a case. It involved a Tractor manufacturer who had below par sales in a certain region. I started off well but lost track somewhere in between. However I finally got to the conclusion of difference in kind of soil and thus the requirement of higher horsepower. Important point: I asked the interviewer to give me 2 minutes to analyse when I had lost track, took the 2 minutes and then instantly hit the point. Make sure that if you get stuck, you take your own time to understand rather than get hasty. This followed a small round of HR on one of my intern ships. I then had a 10 minute session in which I put forward my own set of questions on why I should go in for a consulting career.

Interview

BCG3: Because of the session, the round started with whether I actually was keen on consulting. We then moved on to a case involving a cement company which had high transportation costs. The reasons that I found out were under loading on certain trips, high charges being levied by transporters. I even gave a suggestion on moving to trucks with larger capacity. Another small round of HR revolving about my work as Institute Placement Nominee and research paper.
    BCG4: We started off with a case involving parameters to be accounted to give an award for best salesperson of a cement company. Numerical data like sales figures, growth rate etc. were given when asked for. Was asked to compare 4 different sales persons. Left the case in 10 minutes. Next 20 minutes we just had a talk where primarily I was asking on how my interviewer (a CA) had ended up in a consulting firm and the kind of work that we could expect.

Ideally one should prepare Case Studies and a bit of HR. It doesn't make any sense to study any standard frameworks. Rather it is advisable to keep away from them. You need to try and get structure into the way you approach cases. The number of cases should be the amount till you get comfortable with them. Doing excess of it might even hamper your chances as your thinking starts getting directional and you kind of stop thinking as much as is required. As a matter of fact some of the people who did real well were the ones with the least amount of practice (not that this is suggested)

FinMechanics associate consultant interview

Siddharth AhujaFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Associate Consultant role at FinMechanics
      Resume Shortlist Test Technical + HR Interview HR Interview

I think they put a CG cut off of >7.5 (not sure about the number)
      Nothing specific

HR
      They will try to check your character. What kind of person you are. What will you do in certain situations. Which values you hold important, and certain questions about your past - achievements etc. Note that there were hardly any standard HR interview questions - they prepare questions specific to their requirements as they are going to revolve a major part of your interview (if selected around you).

Quant
      This is the most important section of the test.
      Its not the normal MCQ aptitude questions. Its subjective questions and you are expected to solve them with every step. They involve puzzles, probability, general quant and all. Fundaes need to be clear, of course you can't guess them.

Coding
      Few theoretical questions like definition types. Also, output types - certain codes will be given and you are to compute the outputs. And algorithms for simple codes like factorial, fibonacci, searching or sorting. Few questions will also involve data structures, and they may as well go to linked list and Inheritance (Object Oriented Programming)

Finance
      Basic questions. Must be aware of basic financial terms - like what is bond, what is equity, mutual funds etc. And, the questions are like supported with guidelines for you to understand the context and then solve. Nothing high funda
      HR
      Be what you are. They are going to look at it from every angle - put you in different situations, if you try to project something else - chances are they will catch you. I don't think (not sure) this is evaluated for interview selection process.

Quant
      You need to be really strong here and score well to be shortlisted for the interview.

Coding
      They should see you are interested in coding and know coding decently well. As they are checking for aptitude and quant mostly, they are okay with a decently good performance in coding.

Finance
      Same as coding. They just want to see you are enthusiastic about finance and are ready to learn more, after having knowing basics.

As long as you crack quant, and do just fine in coding and finance you'll get through. I think (not sure), they do have an individual cut off for last 3 sections - coding and finance cut offs are lower than quant though. Quant is the most important section!

Technical + HR Interview

Interview will be easier - they know you have good aptitude and quant for having cracked the test. Its more like a conversation to check where your skills and interests lie. A couple of questions from probability and puzzles are put through
      They should see your enthusiasm and interests in finance and how well you fit into their firm - depending on your answers to the HR part of the test and questions like - Why finance? Why FinMechanics? Why not core? Why not higher studies?

In the previous round, there were multiple panels of 2 people each, now all 8-10 people are in a single panel interviewing you. Questions from your HR part of the test - Why this? Why not that? What will you do in this situation? Given two companies, which do you prefer? Given two types of work, which will you prefer?
      Nothing specific - Be yourself. Recall your test answers. Be prepared and confident

• Basic aptitude and probability
      • communication skills
      • confidence
      • HR

Oracle Financial Services Software associate consultant interview

Vandan RevanurFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore for Associate Consultant role at Oracle Financial Services Software
      Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: General Aptitude
      • Section 2: Software Section
      • Section 3: Computer knowledge
      • Section 4: Verbal Section
      It is a section wise test , you will not be able to go back to earlier sections after you submit them. No negative marking.
      In the first section questions were asked based on data reasoning, logical interpretation, ages, work, speed and time. 40 questions 40 mins
      In the second section , questions were asked based on C/C++, Object oriented programming. Some code snippets were given and we were asked to give the outputs. 40 questions 40 mins
      In the third section, questions were asked on DBMS, data structures and their applications. Flowchart based questions were also asked. 20 questions 40 mins
      In the verbal section, questions were based on identifying grammatically correct sentences, identifying the correct word for a phrase, correct usage of articles. 20 questions 20 mins
      For general aptitude refer to any standard book and learn the formulae , they will help you to solve questions quickly. For DBMS and C/C++ refer to any standard textbook.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: What are data structures?
      • Question 2: What is a linked list ? What are its uses?
      • Question 3: What is the difference between a micro controller and a micro processor?
      • Question 4: Can an array have elements of different data types?
      • Question 5: Explain about the transaction that happen in a bank
      • Question 6: Explain about your projects
      • Question 7: Write a piece of Python Code and explain its working. (Based on my resume)
      • Question 8: If a student from a less reputed college approaches you, how will you receive him?
      The interview lasted for 40-45 minutes. Initially they tested my technical knowledge, they asked me about my internship. They asked me to explain about my projects. He asked me to explain how banks work and process that happen in banks. Then the interview turned to more of a HR interview. They asked me about my hobbies, interests.
      Be confident and presently yourself properly. The interviewers will try to instill some doubt on the answers even if they are correct to check if the person holds his stance, if you feel you have answered correctly , justify it. Also it is better to accept topics which you do not know about.

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
      • Question 2: Why Oracle and what do you know about us?
      • Question 3: What will you do if i offer you a consulting profile?
      • Question 4: Tell me about your hobbies
      The HR interview was more relaxed The discussed about my blogging hobby and asked to tell my latest post. He asked me my opinion about consulting and what i know about it.

• C/C++
      • DataStructures
      • Knowledge about banks
      • Logical reasoning

• RS Agarwal,
      Videos
      Be on time for the aptitude test as well as the interviews, it shows your punctuality. Present yourself neatly (dressed appropriately) , preferably clean shaven.
      I have always wanted to work for Oracle, this has been my biggest motivation. Also my seniors told me its a good company to work for, hence i was more motivated.
      In the technical interview, the interviewer asked me to talk about any recent happenings. He said it could be anything. Political, Sports, religion, movies.. My mind was blank i was very tired with the process. When he said movies , i grabbed the opportunity and told him about a recent kannada movie called 'UPPI2' which had released on that on that day. He told me to tell something else , so I started talking about another telugu movie called 'Baahubali'. Then he started laughing and said "oK, enough of movies, tell me something else.

Bain & Company associate consultant interview

Dishant DaryaniFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at Bain & Company
      Resume Shortlist Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Case Study Interview

The first round of selection process for a consulting firm is generally resume shortlisting. So, it is a very important step in the process as the chances of getting shortlisted are less than 10%. I had spent about 25 days in making the one pager resume.

First 10 days : Studied resumes of people who got shortlisted for consulting firms in last 2-3 years. Tried to grasp the similarities and patterns and what actually constitutes the word "spike".
      Started to prepare the first draft of the resume using my previous resumes and some new points.

Next 7 days (the most productive time):After preparing the first draft comes the time of self critique and analysation. Tried to go through in each and every paragraph to make it more impressive and easily understandable. Showed it to some close friends and seniors to give honest advice.

Last 7 days (external advice):Showed the resume to seniors in consulting firms and tried to make changes according to their views. It's very important not to loose patience in these days. It become frustrating in the last days because you just run out of ideas. Took print outs to see if it looks aesthetically sound.
      1. Each subheading in your resume should contain points in the following fashion : (a) what did you plan to do/an overall objective of the project/internship (1 line). (b) how did you do it (1-2 lines) : show figures in this. (c) what did you achieve (1 line) : show figures/awards/impact/output. Part (c) is very important. If you don't have it under any paragraph, you might want to consider to remove it.

2. You should be ready to talk about each and every point in your resume for about a minute in the interview so make sure you understand each and everything before penning it down.

3. Double check for grammatical errors and aesthetics.

4. Make sure a lot of qualities such as creativity, teamwork, leadership are brought up in your resume.

Case Study Interview

It started with the usual tell me about yourself. Tried to look enthusiastic in that part of the interview and maintained an eye contact with the interviewer. Moved to the case later on.It was a business situation which could fit in a structure. The interviewer tested my : 1. Understanding of the business ie if I am asking the right question at the right time. 2. Calculations and overall feel with numbers.  3. Confidence and communication skills.
      1. Make sure you look enthusiastic and happy (smile when you get inside the room).2. Be confident, its okay to make mistakes in a case but don't make a blunder.3. Ask questions in the end and seem interested.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: If you are the chief minister of maharashtra, how will you ensure more cleanliness in the state. Give an overall approach.
      It was an unconventional case and you can expect that in Bain very often. Try to make the structure as MECE as possible. For example, how can you improve cleanliness :(a) you don't litter (b) you clean up the mess which already exists.This first level is very MECE. Then you dig deeper into both (a) and (b) and structure it further.

When faced by such unconventional cases, think out of the box and take more time in the starting to understand the case and layout the structure.

Case Study Interview

It was my final interview in Bain. If you have reached this stage of the process, its very likely that you will get selected. You just need to relax and have a conversation with the interviewer. It is more of a conversation on a flight rather than an interview. You have to appear professional, interesting and enthusiastic. The interviewer will give you enough chances to share your thoughts, beliefs, opinions and bring out your character.

Videos
        It has to be your day to get into the company of your choice. Things have to fall into place. Just believe in yourself!

PRACHI MANTRIFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ASSOCIATE CONSULTANT role at BCG
        Interview Interview Interview Interview

Interview

I was not placed in this company but I would like to share my experience with you...!!!!
        Asked resume based questions. I was a bit nervous as the interview began since this was the first one for the day, but the interviewer talked very casually and made me feel at ease.

CASE STUDY : An office furniture company, suffering from decrement in revenues. I was supposed to analyze the reasons behind it and suggest methods for improvement. I started with the regular profits = revenues-cost equation and analyzed all the aspects in the revenues side. After a while, I realized that I had forgotten about costs totally even though I had mentioned it earlier at the beginning of the case. So came back to cost analysis. The interviewer was helpful and provided all the needed information. The case went well and in the end on asking about the actual case he told me that my recommendation was close to what they had mentioned to the client.

HR QUESTIONS: Why not higher studies? Are you interested in doing an MBA?

Interview

No details about the interviewer since the interview began as a stress interview but in the end did not turn out that way. Asked two resume based questions.

CASE STUDY: A wine company is experiencing decline in profitability for the past one year even though revenues have increased. They have hired you to provide ways to improve their profits. After analyzing this, the interviewer mentioned that she would want me to analyze the distribution channels. I started, but due to lack of knowledge I was not able to answer this part satisfactorily even though I enlisted different possibilities. In the she gave a couple of hints, but I was not able to grasp them. But I answered whatever I could understand of the situation. Then due to lack of time she asked me to wrap it up quickly and provide recommendations.

Interview

CASE STUDY: An Indian manufacturer of heavy metal castings for turbines is looking to expand by doubling its production in one to two years. They hire you to suggest them a plan to carry out this expansion. The case went well. She agreed to most of my suggestions but there was a particular area she wanted me to analyze. So she kept asking me what else do you think can be done. At one point when I was stuck, I asked her that in what direction she wants me to think. When she told me, I took a minute to think about it and came up with the answer she was looking for to which she added more by herself. Then she told me to summarize and highlight my recommendations. Then she asked me why am I interested to join BCG in particular. Also during my campus stay what is the one thing I like the best and what I did not like so much and why? I was prepared for these questions so answered them comfortably.

Interview

HR QUESTIONS: What do I want to do with my life eventually. Which activity on campus has allowed me to do it very closely. What is my most significant achievement till date and why.Asked about my family background. I was not prepared to answer this so I was speaking very randomly anything which was coming in my mind.

CASE STUDY: A small and simple bank has three products on the savings side, 1 year deposit, 2 year deposit and 5 year deposit with given x, y, z interest rates. Three products on the loan side similarly with different interest rates. Each product has 30 lakhs worth of circulation. The bank has to increase its profitability. How should it go about achieving higher profit?
        During my preparations I realized that I am not good at finance and telecom sectors as compared to other sectors. So when this case of a bank came I became a little skeptical at the wrong point of time, still I started but whatever factors I mentioned the interviewer rejected them all at once. Then I took some more time to think but again
        whatever factors I came up with he said no to them as well. Then he gave me a hint but I did not take time out to think on that. Instead came out with whatever was coming to me instantly. Then in my final recommendation, I suggested quite an impractical approach. I think this went against me significantly. But at that point, I did not realize what blunder I had made.