Associate Analyst

Associate Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Novartis India associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at Novartis India
Test Group Discussion Problem Statement Case Study Interview HR Interview Technical + HR Interview

• Section 1: Data Interpretation
  • Section 3: Quantitative aptitude
A normal aptitude test with quant, LR and English. Those who prepared for CAT would find it extremely simple.
Practice questions from Indiabix. If you have already prepared for CAT, no additional preparation required.

Impact of Donald Trump's victory on India.
They are looking for clarity in thinking and presentation of arguments. Those who made just one or two solid logical points were selected over those who spoke random stuff for half the time.
Think for some time and make a logical argument. Do not say something just for the sake of it. Closing arguments would give you brownie points.

Problem Statement

Shortlisted candidates were given 45 minutes to solve the case. We were asked to write down our approach on a sheet that was provided. After allotted time we were asked to submit this sheet along with the question paper. The problem statement did not have any numerical data and thus the solution was theoretical. We were free to make our own assumptions.
Practice sufficient case study problems from any reliable book(case in point, case interviews cracked). Apparently, the problem that I received was directly picked up from Case in point.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Based on above problem
Panel of 2.
I was asked to explain in detail how I approached the given case. They were clearly more interested in my thinking process than my answer as there is no 'correct' answer for such case studies. The interviewers were pretty friendly and nudges you in the right direction when you make minor errors.
The latter part involved few HR questions like
What are your interests?
How will your friends describe you, in one word?
Have you ever been involved in an act of indiscipline?
Give an instance when you failed?
It is important to understand that there is no single right answer for case studies. What matters is how you think through the problem and communicate it to the panel. It is extremely important to tell the panel about the assumptions you have made and justify them. If they are trying to nudge you in a different direction, get the cue and change your approach instead of arguing with them(Remember, no right answer).

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself
  • Question 2: What is the last book that you read? (from resume)
  • Question 3: You have lots of technical projects. Why analyst instead of R&D?
  • Question 4: Will you be comfortable shifting to Hyderabad?(Office location)
  • Question 5: Do you have any questions for me?

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A question on how to improve profits at different stages of a drug's cycle from R&D to patent expiry.
  • Question 2: Tell me about yourself.
  • Question 3: What are your strengths?
  • Question 4: Weakness? What are you doing about it?
  • Question 5: An instance when things did not go as planned. What did you do about it?
  • Question 6: Why Novartis?
  • Question 7: What do you expect from the company?
  • Question 8: Any questions?

Novartis associate analyst interview

D.PragathiFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Warangal for Associate Analyst role at Novartis
Test Group Discussion Problem Statement Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Quant
  • Section 3: Analytical Assessment
It was quite easy and the time given for all these sections was infact surplus.
One can clear the aptitude test easily if he/she has some practice.

Are reservations necessary ???
The GD topics given to us were quite simple and many of us din't find any difficulty in clearing the Group Discussion round.All you need is to be clear and confident in expressing your stand and maintain dignity during the discussion.
If you can initiate or conclude the group discussion , it would be fetch you extra points.

Problem Statement

The problem statement given to us involved many statistical data and the names given to the reports,products were also quite confusing.There were two options for us to analyze the situation.I performed the qualitative analysis and few of my friends calculated numerically the profitability and other parameters.The interviewer's do not expect the correct answer from us , they just look at the approach we followed to make our point.
Read the problem statement carefully without missing any data and eliminate the unwanted information so that you can focus on the objective.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Write a program to find out whether the given string is a palindrome or not.
I started writing the code for the given program but I lost the continuity in the middle of the program.So I requested the interviewers to understand my logic and condone the syntax errors.They were very much convinced and asked me few questions like Why Novartis? Why Management? etc...
The interviewer expects the confident answer from you rather than the correct answer.If you don't know the answer to a particular question , you can admit it deliberately.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What if your manager is not satisfied with your performance after six months of your work
I told them that I would ask the manager for buffer time of 2 months wherein I will put all my efforts and accomplish the work assigned to me in a satisfactory manner.If at all , the manager seems unconvinced after my wholehearted performance , then I would quit the job because expecting work from me is the primary responsibility of any employer when they are paying me such a huge compensation.Probably , this may not be the case with me as I would learn from my colleagues and definitely live up to the expectations of my manager.
Always make sure that your candidature and experiences you have in the past like internships,trainings complement your profile for the position they are looking for.

Be cool , confident and think logically without being in a haste while answering the interviewers.

• C ,
Be yourself.
It is located in Hyderabad and offering good payscale.
Not many during my selection process.

GlobalData associate analyst interview

Akshay PatniExperiencedSelected
Application
I Applied for job through Referral for Associate Analyst role at GlobalData
Resume Shortlist Test Test HR Interview Technical Interview

I applied through an employee referral, and he only forwarded my resume.
You get shortlisted always for the first round if you have a Masters degree in Energy, chemical or healthcare. or an MBA. A bachelor degree would also work out if it is from good petroleum colleges like (ISM, RGIPT, etc) or if in Healthcare then NIPER etc.
None.

• Section 1: Research Task
Research data related oil and gas production in India, and fill out the blanks in excel sheet.
Be quick, it is timed. Not necessary to fill all data points.

• Section 1: Report writing
Write a report on falling crude oil prices and their impact.
2 Hrs wore given to complete both the excel sheet and write this report.
Its easy, if you are from a relevant background. If not then just try to avoid plagiarism.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me something about yourself
  • Question 2: Why GlobalData ?

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is a block ?
  • Question 2: Whats the difference between a block and a field ?
  • Question 3: Crude oil prices ?
Very very simple. They just need people from a relevant background.
Be updated about the oil and gas industry.
Show your interest in the work profile.

XL Dynamics associate analyst interview

Shalin VermaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at SIRT Bhopal for Associate Analyst role at XL Dynamics
Test Test Test Test Group Discussion

• Section 1: Aptitude
Normal basic aptitude with tricky questions. Cutoff was 35+ around.
Attempt all , as there is no negative marking .

• Section 2: Reasoning
  • Section 3: Reasoning
Normal basic aptitude with tricky questions. Cutoff was 35+ around.
Attempt all , as there is no negative marking .

• Section 1: General English
Logical reasoning was tricky aswell with limited choices and the pattern formed about the story was not so time consuming
Go slow and crack the entire pattern before filling all the answers related to the story.

India's orbital mission
It consists of general English grammar along with basic vocab and article usage.
Basic idea about every aspect will help you crack this. Cutoff was around 25+.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 7-10
A GD of 20 odd people were there in the GD. Healthy with fluent English would do.
All they look forward to is basic English , confidence ,fluency and the say you initiate the issue.

HSBC associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at HSBC
PPT Test Group Discussion Other Interview

PPT

Attend the PPT if you aim to get into HSBC. The team tends to notice your presence and absence, and the questions you ask. It makes a good first impression. If your pointer is on the lower end, be sure to do this - it shows interest, and they really do appreciate you taking the effort.

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation
  • Section 2: Verbal & Logical Reasoning
  • Section 3: Economics and Finance
Written Aptitude test: Consisted of 3 sections - Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation (important), Verbal & Logical Reasoning (important), and lastly, Economics and Finance Questions. There was negative marking, and as far as we were told - sectional cut-offs as well! The finance and economic section is not that important - but it does have some questions from the PPT.

Standard current affairs topics
Super simple. Format is 10 people in a GD, starting with a round robin introduction, a 20-minute discussion, and then round robin conclusion. Selections were based on the points people made, and how they interacted with others.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: About your internships, projects, and academics
  • Question 2: Your motivation to join analytics
  • Question 3: Motivation to join HSBC
  • Question 4: Your career objectives, interests
Interview: Entirely based on your resume - they go quite in depth. Some questions you will be asked for sure: about your internships, projects, and academics, your motivation to join analytics, motivation to join HSBC, location preferences, your career objectives, your interests. They also randomly stopped me mid-sentence and asked me my GRE score. I hadn't written GRE, but I hear some people who did fell for the ploy. Be careful I guess.

Have a well-formatted one-page resume. Make sure everything on your resume is 100% true, especially your interests. Be genuine.
The interview process was informal - the team is really nice! I think that helped me be a lot calmer and represent myself better.

Novartis India associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at Novartis India
Test Group Discussion Case Study Interview HR Interview Technical + HR Interview

• Section 1: Data Interpretation
  • Section 3: Quantitative Aptitude
The first round was an aptitude test consisting of 30 questions that had to be done in 60 mins.There was a negative one-third marking.
CAT preparation is sufficient to clear the test. I had solved 26 out of 30 questions completely and still had 4 minutes left.

Demonetization : pros and cons/Is social media killing book reading habits
This was like any other standard GD.
Stay actively engaged in the discussion and make valid points and you should be fine.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The profits of a bank have been declining, how will you reverse the trend?
Everyone would be given the same case study to solve in 45 minutes.After that you will be called for the interview wherein you would have to explain your thought process. I was also asked one guesstimate and 2 puzzles
If you are familiar with Victor Cheng's videos or Case Interviews Cracked you will do just fine.Also, don't panic if you're unable to solve the puzzles, just think out loud(I was unable to solve both the puzzles)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Standard HR Questions
I was asked questions primarily about my extra-curricular activities apart from the standard "Why Novartis","Why analyst" etc.
Just know your resume well and prepare standard HR questions.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions based on current trends in the pharmaceutical industry
This was basically a mixture of the standard HR questions and a test of my knowledge of the current trends in the industry.I was also given a mini case study where I had to analyze the rise and fall in drug prices
Keep up with the news coming out of the pharmaceutical industry.As for the mini case study, there is really no way to prepare for it.It can done if you have a good presence of mind

HSBC associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at HSBC
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview HR Interview

Most people with CGPA more than 7.5 made it to the test shortlist.

• Section 2: Technical
Not very different from the aptitude tests of most other companies. Technical test was also like an aptitude test but involved more questions from probability.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions regarding resume.
I had course relating to multivariate data analysis and applied time series. The interviewer mostly checked how comfortable I am with thise topics. Following this he asked a probability question. How many times do you have to toss a coin until you get 2 heads in a row?
After this he asked about my project where I had mathematically solved partial differential equations. He asked more about the methods that I used and so on.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
  • Question 2: Are you thinking of applying for masters?
  • Question 3: What are the three most important qualities for success?
  • Question 4: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
  • Question 5: Tell me about some important event in terms of economics and how it has affected the markets?
A long interview with 2 panelists. It is very important to come well prepared for this rpund. It is okay if the technical round wasnt as good as expected but HR interview is critical.

United Airlines associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at United Airlines
Test Case Study Interview Behavioral Interview

• Section 1: Verbal
  • Section 3: Quantitative
There was no negative marking in the test so we were free to attempt all questions.Out of 100,15 students were shortlisted for the next round that was to be taken at their office.
Be quick! Quant was of average difficulty but you do need to brainstorm in many questions.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Case was particularly one that they had dealt with.Mine was introducing a new scheme for the frequent travelers and as a consultant they wanted me to decide if the oragnization should go about it.
There were loads of silent moments in the room but the interviewers were really helpful and they helped in driving a conversation simultaneously motivating me to brainstorm by providing situations relevant to the case.
Be prepared with the case studies,it helps.This was my first ever case study so I was not at all structured in my approach but they had made it clear that they were interested in the mindset and not merely the solution.
Also,utilize your "Do you any questions?" time to the best.It earns you some extra points.

Behavioral Interview

There were a set of questions they had on a paper and you had to answer each of them through the experiences you have had as a part of project team or in societies you're part of or the internships you've done.They were writing every answer that was said!
One guesstimate was also asked in the end.
"Estimate the number of cars passing the yamuna bridge."
They wanted just the factors and not the numbers.
Be fluent.The interview was taken by a senior HR person and one of the managers who were really sweet and making the interview go comfortable.Be honest! Try to express your journey as a story because this is how they'll remember you.You need to create a mark down their memory lane

HSBC associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at HSBC
Test Group Discussion HR Interview HR Interview

It was an aptitude test including basic quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning data interpretation, reading comprehension and finance section( this section was there only in HSBC it included few concepts which we learn in Engineering Economics and some basic idea of bond and stocks can be useful) but even if you don't do that well in this section you can still clear the test as I did rather most of us did.

Investment Plan:- suppose you have 10 million$ were you will invest and why?
2nd round( Group Discussion):- 50 students were shortlisted after round 1 for GD. Other Topics were:- 1) Rupee devaluation pro's and con's 2) FDI

It can revolve around banking stuff if you know it or else it can be simple H.R round also in which they might ask you about your internship even if you have done it in core or they can give you some case study and be prepared with all puzzles.

It was more or less the same as 3rd round it was taken because the panel was bit confused about whom they should reject

Just read "THE HINDU" daily. Read properly about recent reforms which can affect the corporate world (e.g land acquisition bill was reformed just before my interview so I used it in my case study so anything can be useful) Try to be unique in your answers for questions like, why you want this company?, why we should recruit you?
The overall experience was very good the panel was quite friendly it became tiring because I finished my 3rd round at 2:30 am and had my 4th round 8:00 am in morning so be prepared for such hectic schedule and do not let it affect your performance.

HSBC associate analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Associate Analyst role at HSBC
Test Group Discussion Other Interview

It was a basic Apti test through which they shortlisted around 40-50 students.

'If you were given a million dollars and 3 choices of investments - oil, gold and stock market, how would you use your money?
So, be prepared with current affairs, slightly on the financial side, for this company, as they also expect you to reason out your decision.

Other Interview

The next round was Personal Interview. It was a very casual interaction where I told them about my projects and enquired about the job profile and growth.

As far as the Apti is concerned, speed and accuracy is very important and only regular practice can get you there. And take Apti very seriously because it is an elimination process and you have to fight your way in. GDs require a sound knowledge of current affairs and most importantly you should have anopinion about most of the issues. Newspapers, most importantly the editorial section which has experts offering their views on issues will help you develop your opinion. Personal interview is a round where you can steer the whole conversation to your advantage by taking them only through your positives and strengths. Be confident, show that you are genuinely flexible and speak with conviction.

• Byju's test papers,
  • CAT papers- for quant,
  • Placement apti papers,
It was rewarding. The process is not only about getting a job, but learning about certain life skills which help you through the process. Patience and determination are the key.