Assistant Engineer

Assistant Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Arup assistant engineer interview

, 526 views
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for ASSISTANT ENGINEER role at Arup
Resume Shortlist HR Interview

I specified about my extra-curricular activities in an organized manner. I had loads of techno-managerial activities. Whatever extra-curricular activities that I was involved in, I had been pursuing them since my first year, hence I found it necessary to group them in an appropriate manner in the resume. Also I had participated in an event called Robocon, I had done a project and had 2 different internships, I highlighted all these specifically in my resume.
I referred a site of Princeton University to prepare the resume. It’s a very good website and hugely referred by students for preparing their resume. I also got some valuable insights from my seniors in accordance to building my resume. I intended to join a technical company hence I had framed a technical resume.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What is the role of mechanical engineers in building a sky-scrapper? What are the different challenges faced?
This was a direct personal interview round. They started asking H.R. questions initially and then floated over to the technical questions. In total 8 students were short-listed for this round, 2 from mechanical, 2 from electrical and 2 from civil and each and every student was practically asked the same set of the HR questions.

My interview was taken by 2 people, one Indian and the other was a foreigner. Right at the start of the interview they explained me how the interview would proceed. They even told me that the interview would be conducted only for 20 minutes. They started asking questions like ‘Tell me about yourself.’ and the likes. While I was answering the foreign interviewer seemed to be noting down some points. He also asked me whether I had any knowledge whatsoever regarding the company. I gave him an apt reply based on the knowledge of the company that I possessed.

Further he went into the technical questions. He asked me to state the role of a mechanical engineer in a company like Arup which mainly dealt with engineering design and construction. I said that mechanical engineers look after the refrigeration and the piping system. They also asked me to name the building that fascinated me the most and that was built by Arup. I said I liked the building built by Arup in Hong-Kong which consisted of the overhanging beam. I was not aware of the name of the building. They enlightened me further about that building for themselves.

They asked me about which monument did I like the most. I gave a very honest reply to this. I told them that earlier when I was in an internship at Mumbai I had seen the sky-scrappers for the first time. I told them as to how intriguing I found those huge structures and how different I found the world from the top of these sky-scrappers. They were pretty impressed with my honest reply. They moved on to asking me questions on the sky-scrappers. I started talking on vibrations, but they corrected me stating that this is looked after by the civil engineers. They started dropping some hints. I thought for a moment and finally figured out that the mechanical engineers carried out the works related to energy and sustainable development, refrigeration and ventilation and also the piping systems. I also gave some suitable examples for each of them.

He asked whether I had any experiences of working in a team. I gave them a brief account of the Robocon event that we participated in and how under my leadership we gave the best performance compared to the past three years that IIT- Roorkee participated in the event. The Indian interviewer further inquired about my family background. I told them about my father’s business and convinced them that I would never do business and that I would remain loyal to the company.

I heard about the company for the first time during the recruitment process. I did not even attend the pre-placement talk held by the company; consequently I was not much aware either about the company or the profile on offer.

Power Grid Corporation of India assistant engineer interview

, 534 views
    Ashutosh KumarFresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Agartala for Assistant Engineer role at Power Grid Corporation of India in Jun, 2016
    Resume Shortlist Technical + HR Interview

The College had sent the marks details of students who had greater than 70% or equivalent marks in graduation also with secondary and higher secondary marks to the Company. Then they shortlisted 27 people out of 69 eligible students from the batch of total 84 students considering as per Indian reservation as it is a Govt. Company. 10-Gen, 7-OBC, 10-(SC+ST)
    Make sure your CGPA high. They shortlists very few students usually less than 15.

Technical + HR Interview

The Interview was of around 20 minutes. They started with asking about hobbies and activities first that I had mentioned in my CV. It made the environment cool and calm a bit. Make sure you have written the contents in your CV honestly. A small hide and seek can make you out of the race. Then they slowly moved towards core Electrical Engineering questions mostly from Power System. All were the basics and didn't need any rocket science. Viz
    1. Why We transmit Power at High Voltages?
    2. What is Surge Impedance Loading?
    3. What is Corona loss? Why we send Power at High voltages even when it increases the Corona loss?
    4. About Compensators of the line.
    5. What are the advantages of single frequency of the grid throughout the country?
    6. Buchholz relay?
    After then they moved towards Internships and Projects. They asked about Indian Electricity market, Developments in Indian Electricity, No.of Grids in India, Open Access, Power Exchanges of India etc. that were my Internship topics at Power System Operation Corporation Limited(POSOCO). Then they asked some light Questions from my College Project like what are the benefits of this project. What are Global warming and the Carbon taxes.
    They selected total 5 students out of 27 (2+2+1)
    Keep a Smile on the face. Speak anything that you are confident about else say I don't know about it. Don't be seems like you are in a dire need of this job or you beg for it. Go and show that you are deserving and earn it.

• Internship Experience
    • Internship Work
    • Project And Training
    • Leadership Skills
    • Honesty
    • Knowledge In Core Topics

TCE assistant engineer interview

, 4.2k views
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus for Assistant Engineer role at TCE
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview Other Interview

20+15 questions
    • Section 1: Core Part -20 questions
    • Section 2: Aptitude Part -15 questions
    • Section 3: Basic CAT-type questions
    All questions mainly on structural engineering. Questions were simple objective type and the level of the questions was simple - More based on the knowledge part than the problem solving part.
    Technical Test had good conceptual questions and was basically on Structural Engineering-Steel and Concrete Design, Stresses and Materials.
    Aptitude Test was simply based on the CAT pattern and was relatively easy. Make sure you are prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Draw a Bending Moment diagram given a particular loading ?
    • Question 2: What are the provisions you check for, designing a beam/column according to the IS Codes?
    • Question 3: Codes and provisions in IS 456 and IS 800 ?
    • Question 4: What are the permissible stresses in concrete and steel as according to the IS codes ?
    • Question 5: What is the permissible values for deflection in a structure according to the IS provisions ?
    • Question 6: How do you go about in planning a house from the start till the end?
    • Question 7: Explain the BTP project and the main points.
    • Question 8: Difference between channel flow and pipe flow.
    • Question 9: Is gutter an example of the open channel flow or a closed pipe flow?
    • Question 10: Explain the distribution system in a town by drawing?

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Tell us something about yourself.
    • Question 2: Why do you prefer TCE over other firms?
    • Question 3: Tell us about your activities in the Counseling service and E-Club ?
    • Question 4: What is your family background?
    • Question 5: What do you know about TCE?

Other Interview

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Questions based on the resume.
    Many questions were asked on the projects I was involved.

• Structural Engineering
    • Strength of Materials
    • Concrete Design

• Design [CE 321 and CE 322],
    • Structures Analysis and Materials [CE 251] ,
    The test was more based on knowledge rather than problem solving. Go through Hibbeler once before going for the test.

TCS assistant engineer interview

, 9.3k views
    FresherSelected
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar for Assistant engineer role at TCS
    Test Technical Interview HR Interview

1 hour questions
    • Section 1: Aptitude
    • Section 2: Letter writing
    Aptitude test was of a good level. It testing the basic concepts and was quants based with a few questions on reasoning which were comparatively easy. Good practice is required since the cut off in ky round was over 20 que out of a total of 30 questions.

Letter writing is an easy task. Just make sure that you use all the words given in the question statement.
    Practice as much as you can!

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: What is an ideal diode?. Draw its input output characteristic curve.
    • Question 2: Write a program for computing the factorial of a number using recursion
    • Question 3: List ten cellular operators in India.
    • Question 4: Draw the layers of OSI model.
    • Question 5: What is the function of session layer?
    • Question 6: Tell us something about zener diode
    • Question 7: Who is the chairman of ISRO?
    • Question 8: Why do you want to join TCS?
    • Question 9: Write a program to print first 10 natural numbers on the screen.
    • Question 10: What is an IP address?
    • Question 11: What is the full form of DRDO and NASA?
    This was quite long! Lasted for about 30 minutes! Questions were general and based on diodes, square wave rectifier. They as you about your favorite subject and the programming language you are comfortable with. It was not difficult. If one has a basic knowledge of your field then one can easy crack it.
    Stay calm and confident

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why do you want to join TCS?
    • Question 2: How will you be able to adjust yourself in the environment of the company?
    This interview was of very short duration and was quite simple.
    Stay calm and confident.

• Basic Concepts
    • Confidence

• R.C. Aggarwal's book on quants,
    • Head First Java,
    • Let Us C : Yashwant Kanetkar,

TCE assistant engineer interview

, 1.9k views
    Application
    I was interviewed on-campus for Assistant Engineer role at TCE
    Test Group Discussion

• Section 1: Aptitude test
    • Section 2: Core technical test
    Both went fair enough and i was happy that with out any tension i could make it out.
    Brush up regularly your technical and aptitude skills

Knowledge of desgining in strurctural design

• Technical skills
    • Aptitude Skills
    Make sure you are confident enough regarding your technical and aptitude skills and always maintain confidence in yourself
    I am a self motivator