Analyst

Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Credit Suisse analyst interview

APOORVA AGARWALFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ANALYST role at Credit Suisse
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion HR Interview Technical Interview Other Interview

They didn't had any aptitude test, only resume based short-listing.

10-15 Minutes
Capital Punishment (for or against the topic)
There were 10-15 students. There was 3 mins thinking time and 10 minutes discussion time. After the discussion each student was asked to conclude the GD and express his/her viewpoint.
1. Jot down your point during the three minutes.
2. During the GD make sure that you express your opinion coherently.
3. Also make short notes during the GD which will be helpful in concluding it.
4. While concluding the GD, ensure that you cover all the points discussed during the GD (notes will be helpful here) and in the end express your own stand.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why finance? Why not core? (they grilled me for 20 minutes)
  • Question 2: There is a closed room with 3 bulbs and there are three switches outside. You can toggle any two switches once without looking inside the room and map the bulbs to their corresponding switches. (Since I had done this puzzle before I solved it easily.)
  • Question 3: What is the crappiest thing on your resume?
  • Question 4: Entertain us for two minutes without asking any questions. (I told them about some funny incidents on the campus)
  • Question 5: Which IITian do you admire the most and why?
  • Question 6: They then crushed an A4 sheet and asked me to sell it to them?
It was a HR + Puzzle round. Panel was of Some junior management and the duration was of 30-40 minutes. By the end of this round, they were quite impressed and sent me for the second interview immediately.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about the eurozone crisis?
  • Question 2: What do you know about the Libor Scam?
  • Question 3: What are derivatives?
  • Question 4: Some simple questions on options.
This round was based on Current Affairs and Finance and lasted for 20 minutes. And, I asked them a few questions about CS and job cutting etc. After this interview they had mentioned that they were quite positive on me and that I had to just interview with one more senior manager. This really boosted my confidence.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why Finance? Why not join a casino? (I had mentioned that I find it challenging and stimulating)
  • Question 2: Lots of questions on the fiscal cliff.
  • Question 3: What in your opinion would be the repercussions if the fiscal cliff was not avoided, both in US and in the global economy. Will India be affected and why?
  • Question 4: What is Prime Services?
  • Question 5: What is QE? Why is it used?
It was also based on finance and current affairs. Panel consisted of the Senior most employee who had come for recruitment. After this round I was informally offered the job.
1. Even when you are unable to answer questions, don’t get bogged down or disheartened remain calm. DB quite often takes stress interview. Just keep your cool and smile while answering questions.

2. If you do not know any answer, there is no harm is admitting that.

3. Be confident. Know your resume inside out.

4. Practice a few HR interviews before the actual one.

5. Also, communication skills in English are very important.

CapitalOne analyst interview

Anuj Gupta FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Analyst role at CapitalOne
Resume Shortlist Test Case Study Interview HR Interview Case Study Interview

First step involved writing down everything that I had accomplished in my tenure at IITB. Then, grading each point on the basis of accomplishment and innovation involved along with details in about 4-5 lines. Carefully went through 10 resumes from the previous year to get an idea of the prevailing format. Prepared a resume and got the feedback from 4- 5 people and then on the basis of the feedback finalized the resume. I attended the Pre-Placement talks of companies, I was interested in. It was a good exposure for understanding the skill sets and the values that companies were looking for in a candidate and the possible future paths in the organisation. The talks also helped in  increasing the overall awareness about the different companies

a) Written DI based test with emphasis on interpreting graphs, calculating percentages etc. 100 people shortlisted. Candidates go through psychometric test
Interview preparation was best done in groups of 2-3 at a time: One interviewer, one interviewee and one observer. Tests were best prepared for by referring to the CAT study material

Case Study Interview

c) ~40 people selected after this stage d) 3-4 interviews –first case study , second HR , third and fourth case study. 3 people made final offers. a) First case study involved understanding the details of two marketing strategies. Then, comparing the effectiveness of the two in terms of revenue generated incase of limited budget and in case of specific no. of customers to be contacted. The final task involved calculating the point at which transition occurred in effectiveness for the two strategies for the two cases.

b) Second interview consisted of HR questions like a. Why capital one? b. Why not research? c. An instance of working under time and resource constraints? d. An instance of leadership. e. An instance of innovation and thought leadership.

Case Study Interview

c) Third interview was again a case study involving credit card strategies. The task involved calculating the effect of reduction in the credit limit or an increase in the rate of lending for high risk customers. In both the cases, it was required to calculate the % reduction in customers for the profit to remain same. Then a question was asked regarding which strategy I thought was better and how would I decide it? Note: Capital one case studies are simple mathematical case studies with a focus on understanding and calculations. These are different from the ones asked by consultancy companies like Mckinsey BCG etc. where the candidate is expected to ask the right questions before supplying any data. All the data for case studies in Capital one is provided at the start itself. If someone wants to appear for this company, what all should he/she ideally prepare? Someone preparing for Capital One should practice numerical case studies like the ones gives in Tucks Case study book 2002. They should also try the case studies available on the capital one website. Its important to prepare the HR based questions well because they might ultimately decide whether you are in or out. Another important advice is that you should think aloud while solving the case studies. It helps a lot in avoiding silly mistakes as well as in keeping the interviewer interested.

Morgan Stanley analyst interview

Pratiksha FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at Morgan Stanley
Test Technical Interview Group Activity Technical Interview HR Interview fitness roound

• Section 1: quantitative and technical abilities.
  • Section 2: finding computational solutions to simulated situations
The first round, quite naturally, was the aptitude round. We had to answer questions that were designed to test our quantitative and technical abilities. But this was only the first part. The second part involved finding computational solutions to simulated situations. These questions needed to be solved in a programming language we were asked to choose earlier, during the aforementioned first part. I chose to do it in Java as that is one language I am really thorough with. I understand that C/C++ are more important and versatile, but what matters here is your inherent understanding of the concepts involved

Group Activity

We had to build model buildings, using LEGO blocks. Other than the fact that I love building things from other smaller things, the supplied material took me back to my childhood days. We were divided into four groups. Two in each room, and each group consisted of 8-10 candidates. We were given a time limit within which we had to design and construct a building. As a surprise, after half time, they asked the two groups in each room to merge their projects. This probably was to see if the candidates were pro-active team players, and could handle unexpected situations like professionals.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: asked about my projects – the technical aspects, scope, etc
  • Question 2: Databases and Mysql – queries, types of keys, joins, etc
  • Question 3: fundamentals of Operating Systems – threads/processes, scheduling algorithms, memory/storage, etc
  • Question 4: Data Structures and Files, so – sorting/searching algorithms, their complexities, files, other data structures, etc.
There was another technical interview after the group activity. I was interviewed by two of their officers, who again asked questions similar to those from the first technical round.  It went quite well, since I was quite confident about the way I was solving the problems they gave me. Thinking out loud is key, as that lets them in your problem-solving abilities. That way, they let you know if you are headed in the right direction. My interviewers were quite pleasant, as they liked discussing possible scenarios to the problems they gave me.

there was an HR round, where the woman interviewed me about my projects. She needed to know if I had the guts to finish whatever it is that I started. So she asked more on the lines on my role in the projects I had undertaken in the previous years. She also asked me about my working experience from before. That too went well. It was pretty much a standard HR interview – projects, hobbies, traits, etc.

fitness roound

There was another round in the end, which was to test the candidate’s professional fitness – if they indeed are the right people for the job. I found it to be a blend of technical and HR interviews, more on the lines of HR though. All in all, it was a brilliant experience
To my juniors, study hard, be sincere, be yourself, be smart (preferably in that order, but you are free to improvise!)

Kabbage analyst interview

Shantanu SharmaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for Analyst role at Kabbage
Test HR Interview Puzzle Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitute Test
The Aptitude Section included 2 sections, 1 Quantitative and 1 Data Interpretation. These were pretty straight-forward questions and if you have done a week's preparation for these, you would be able to ace it.
The test has individual cutoff for both sections so do keep it in mind while giving the test and these test copies are used by interviewers during the interview process and have an equal weightage as the interview round, so do your best in the test as well because it will help you at the end during your final evaluation.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Usual HR Questions along with some situational questions like what would you do in such a condition.
There were 2 people who were taking my interview, 1 Indian and 1 was probably from Atlanta Office of Kabbage. They were quite friendly throughout the interview and since I was doing great in the interview, they were also helping me throughout the interview.
The first round of interview is the most important and it gives confidence to us and also makes a huge impact upon the interviewer. So, if you have aced the first round of interview, then there are good chances of your selection.

Puzzle Interview

There were some standard puzzles from standard books that we use. I knew them already and aced this round as well.
Feel confident and instead of directly giving out the answer show your thought process to the interviewer even if you are unable to figure out the right answer.

Behavioural Interview

It was the shortest round that I had of just 10 minutes. The interviewer was asking some general questions from my CV.
It was a round just to check the behavior as the interviewer was a very experienced man. So, don't do anything stupid at this point.

There was again finally this one HR interview where some standard questions were asked like why Kabbage? why hire you? etc.
It was a pretty easy round and the overall evaluation I think constituted 20% from each interview round and 20% from test. So, keep your cool in this round as it is a decisive one.

Puzzle solving and behavioural part is most important, so do practice a lot on these.
Be cool, confident, do your homework about the company in advance as it would give you an extra edge over others and always take tests very seriously.
It is a very fast growing company. It has already established itself in more than 30 countries in a period of just 6 years and in india it is expanding itself. So, I always wanted to be a part of such a cool startup and more the profile suits me as well.

Goldman Sachs analyst interview

Piyush SinglaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview

For CSE and EE students , CPI was not at all seem to be a criteria for shortlisting and almost all who have a decent profile got shortlisted for the test. However, for other department students they shortlisted above 9 CPI students.

It was a 2 hour test. It consisted of 3 sections-Quant , Machine Learning and Computer Science . Each section had 10 questions and 45 minutes were allotted for each section.
Being from non-CSE background I attempted only 2 sections ie. Quant and Machine Learning. Machine Learning section was fairly easy this time and almost all questions were standard. If someone has done an introductory course on Machine Learning and basic stats , this section was a cake walk for him. However , attempting quant section required some preparation of solving probability puzzles (computing expectations etc.) ,basic linear algebra and geometry base questions.

I had 2 rounds of interview. Both were technical ones.
In the first interview , they asked some probability puzzles (from 50 challenging problems in probability book) . Since I had completed that book before , I was able to solve them . Then they asked 1-2 algorithm based questions like formulate an efficient algorithm for solving a particular problem. I was not able to solve them completely but tried to give them the overview of y approach. The interviewer didn't seem to be satisfied though. It lasted for around 20-25 minutes.He told me to wait outside . To my surprise, I was called for the 2nd round.
The second went better than the first round. They again asked questions on computing probability , expectations , constructing a Markov Chain for a a given problem etc. Since I had done 1 course in Fiance also , he asked me questions from it also which were quite easy. Then he began asking algorithms and asked me to explain a sorting algorithm and I chose Quick Sort. While explaining it , I got struck at one point but the interviewer was helping me by giving hints and I was able to explain it fully. The second round was quite exhaustive as it went on for around 45-60 minutes.

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Gaurav ThakurFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Written
There were 4 sections: Maths, Finance, English, DI and Quant, No negative marking.
The Maths section had questions on basic probability and statistics. Also the Maths section had a higher weight age than the other sections (Questions carrying 3 marks each while other sections had 1 or 2 marks for each question. They were here, offering a quant profile so that justifies the distribution.)
The DI/Quant (2 marks each) and English (1 Mark Each) section were similar to CAT.
The finance section had questions on Basic Accounting.
Anyone who did well in the Maths section could find his name in the shortlist.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself from the day u were born till today.
  • Question 2: What is a Brownian motion? Properties of Brownian motion?
  • Question 3: What is a Martingale? What are Markov Processes? Is Martingale a Markov Process? Are Markov Processes Martingales?
  • Question 4: One trait of yours that you're not proud of?
  • Question 5: Puzzle: m2 = n2 + 32294
  • Question 6: In a group would it be better for me to assume a leadership position or simply be a part of it? Why?
It was a 20-25 minute round. There were 2 interviewers, one of them was the HR manager and the other was a Quant Guy.
In the first question, they stopped me mid way when I mentioned the finance course.
The puzzle was also asked in last year’s interview.
I’m still not sure about why I did not qualify for the next round but one of the possible reasons was, I had mentioned my short temperedness as my weakness and later I came to know, this is considered to be a highly undesirable trait in the Investment Banking jobs. So be a bit careful while answering this question.
I would like to start this article by telling you something about your major concern, and that is “Will this economic crisis has a telling effect on your job prospects ?”. And the answer is both Yes and No. I am a 5th year Mathematics student and have closely seen the placements of 3 batches and from my experience, I can surely say that “One who prepares well , gets through, No matter how tough the situation is". It happened with my batch and your batch won’t be an exception (Unless a catastrophe happens).Dilemma: Most of you guys sitting for placement shall be in your 7th semester which is considered to be one of the most hectic of all the semesters. Many of you might be preparing for CAT, others for GRE, some of you would have got a tough guide for your final year project. So you need to prioritize things. You need to think it through; “A Realistic Self Analysis” always helps. I’ll share what I did. I did join coaching classes for CAT but my first priority always was placements and accordingly I planned and executed things. Getting a 99+ percentile and then clearing the GD and PI’s was too much of a risk for me to take. So this might be one of the better times to go for your MBA but always have other options ready just in case.Resume for Analytics Companies:Most of the analytics companies have a lot of Statistical Analysis and Data Management work. So, candidates having an experience in Data handling are preferred. If some project of yours involved Data Handling, mention it in detail. If you have done some of the applied Statistics courses in the Maths/IME department, mention it in your resume.

Credit Suisse analyst interview

K Bala VigneshFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Analyst role at Credit Suisse
Test Technical Interview MANAGERIAL ROUND HR Interview

• Section 1: WRITTEN TEST
A written test for 2 hours. Around 15 were selected for the interviews. Eligibility to write the test was initially 8+ CGPA and was open for EC, CS, EE and IT. It consisted of Multiple choice questions on C-aptitude and General aptitude; a subjective type section that had riddles and some easy questions, another bonus section that had a real life problem (we had an easy question on Server topology that required some analysis on resources, latency and reliability).

Warm-up questions on concepts like constructors and destructors, keywords like static, extern; difference between function overloading and function overriding etc etc. Then, little harder 2 - 3 questions on Binary trees and Maximum sub-array problem with optimal solution (divide and conquer). Resume walk through: I was asked to explain on Neural Networks and SVM as I had done quite a no. of projects on the same. They also asked me some questions on Astrophysics since I had said Astronomy is my hobby.

MANAGERIAL ROUND

In this round they had given me specifications of a project and asked me how would I go about it. Decision making abilities are also checked by giving various hypothetical situations. They asked me in very detail about my internship as it was on Parallel Processing.

HR was super friendly after which final results announced.

For all the Analyst positions in finance companies, a strong understanding of OOP concepts is required. Puzzles : gurmeet.net/puzzles/ This is by far the best collection of puzzles (with solutions) I have come across; and many questions in my previous interviews and test were asked from this list.<br /> C-aptitude and aptitude practice was from the previous tests given for other companies.
If you have attended previous interviews or tests and not selected for the job, try to see where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. I didn't do any explicit preparation for the tests or the interviews (which I think I should have). Do your homework after a test/interview if it went badly. My previous half a dozen interviews helped me crack this one. When facing the interviewer, carry a notebook, pen and a copy of your resume. When you do not know an answer, the interviewer might explain the solution or just ask you to refer a book. Take a note of this in your notebook. This will show your interest to learn things and how organized you are and also will help you do your homework for the next interview.

The panel that had come for us were extremely friendly. In the interviews, they let us complete our answers and were very patient unlike many other interviews.

Interviews are not so challenging. Know every single point written on your resume. Knowing something on Data Analysis, Machine Learning helps. Strong understanding of Object Oriented Programming is a must. Wear business formals for the tests and interviews (as the students writing the test are shortlisted based on GPA, they expected us to wear Business formals during the PPT and tests), preferably also a tie. Show interest in their company and keep smiling and stay positive.

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Saurabh DabholkarFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Deutsche bank
Resume Shortlist HR Interview

A lot of fundaes regarding the writing of the resume were given at a session by McKinsey earlier in the year. I prepared my basic resume based on that and changed it according to suggestions from some friends. Pre-placement talks are essential for getting a broad understanding of the company and the work that one is going to be doing in the job, inspite of the fact that a much nicer version of the reality may be presented in these talks. If one does not have a good idea about a particular sector or a company, attending PPTs can help a lot.About 90 people were shortlisted initially for the inteview, based mainly on a test conducted by the company earlier. The test evaluated students on basic quantitative and DI skills. Out of those, after an interview of about 20-25 mins, about half were shortlisted for the second and the last interview, which immediately followed the first one.

In my case, the only interview I attended was for Deutsche Bank, and it did not require any such special preparation.However, some basic finance fundaes were obtained with the help of google and wikipedia. I prepared for interviews with some of my friends. We conducted mock interviews of one another, asking possible questions, especially the HR ones. If done seriously, it helps a lot, in terms of preparation for the few stock questions in interviews and others that one can anticipate. A lot of improvements can be suggested by your friends in terms of framing answers correctly and many other things. Preparation is best done in groups.

The entire interview process consisted of two interviews. The first interview could be called technical, but it was a wide ranging interview. I was initially asked about my stream of engg. The interviewer knew a surprisingly good amount of aero, and I was asked a lot of aerospace related questions, most of which I could answer satisfactorily. I was asked general questions about life in IIT, my hobbies, etc, and some questions on statistics. Finally, I was asked if I knew something about finance. On answering in the affirmative, I was asked questions about options, futures and other such trading basics. The interviewers knew that a workshop on finance had been conducted on campus earlier, so one was expected to have some elementary knowledge about such things.The second interview was a very short one, basically an HR interview. I was asked the usual questions that are asked in an HR interview. They can be easily found out on the net or on documents available in the institute. Be sure to prepare for those questions and know your resume very well. Those two things essentially define how such an interview will go.
The ideal way to prepare would be to study seriously for CAT! The practice of solving quant and DI questions that one gets in CAT preparation is invaluable for doing well in the test of this as well as many other companies. Doing well in the test is really the key element in the recruitment process. Once the hurdle of the test is cleared, you can present yourself in the way that you want, and lead the interviewer to your areas of comfort by preparing well. Arguably the biggest tool available for preparing for job interviews is the internet. Be sure to find out some info about the company, about your job profile and the expected skills, these can give a direction to your preparation.

Citicorp analyst interview

Abhinav SuryaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at Citicorp
Test Technical Interview Technical + HR Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A basic question on Bayes Theorem
  • Question 2: Few Complicated questions using Probablity which will be assisted by the interviewer as you interact with them
  • Question 3: Few Finance Questions
The first round of interview was identifying your interest and testing it. I told I am good at Math and Fin and I was asked all probab and Fin questions. Many others were asked Guesstimates and Puzzles
Be confident and keep talking and keep interacting, even when you are struggling- it's more about the ideas you put on the table than the answers. Be thorough in basics of probab including all kinds of distribution and all.
Also the job is for analysing Credit Card usage. And it is a gloabla financial firm. So for questions like, "Tell about yourself" or "Walk me through the resume", keep telling how you are good at handling data. And if you have Fin background, pitch about it.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Guesstimate to find number of Credit Cards in India
  • Question 2: Other questions asking you to convince them you are good for the job
The interview was mostly a stress interview. They kept telling me that I am somehow not so good for the job and my knowledge in the field is insufficient. And I kept convincing them back that I am indeed a good candidate.
Keep calm. Prepare HR questions perfectly. You should talk to them as if you are dying too get this job and detail it to them that you are the best candidate for this job. You have to tell them that you have some special capability that others don't (I told about my knowledge in Fin). And you should be really special in that and be able to answer anything.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Simple questions like how serious are you about Citicorp and how bad you want the job
Basic HR questions to test if you are really serious about the hjob and firm. If you did previous 2 intervies well, this must be a cakewalk.
Be ready to give answers convincing them that this job is the most important thing in your life

Goldman Sachs anaylst interview

Aviral JainFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Varanasi for Anaylst role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview Other Interview HR Interview

You need to have a cgpa above 8.00 to be eligible for the written rounds of GS
For every college there is a cgpa cutoff
Study well you can clear it with ease.

1+1 hr Minutes
objective+subjective questions
  • Section 1: obective(4 sections ,15 questions each)
  • Section 2: subjective(about 5-10 sections)
For objective we had 4 sections maths,coding,aptitute,probability each had 15 questions which had majorly tough questions

For subjective round they have 5-10 sections but tine was lwss so you could attempt only 2-4 sections, sections were based on networking , coding ,maths , probability and so on
For objective section study well and attempt as much as you can because most of the questions will go above your head

For subjective choose you sections wisely and attempt accordingly

Questions asked were of average toughness, some that i remember are
Stock buy and sell and its variation
Some questions of array,trees
Some normal agorithms and data structure questions
Be calm think wisely the level of questions would be moderate you just have to give the approach

Puzzle Interview

Some puzzles such as weighing puzzles and so were asked that can be easily found on internet toughness was moderate
Think and answer and if you are unable try to get hints asking some queations

Other Interview

Maths questions based on probability distribution, graphs , eigen values and vectors, expectation value and such things were asked
Be confident and prepare some topics of maths, toughness level was good and i have to derive some formulas there

Asked about my previous projects and asked me.to explain them in details
Gave stress on points in my resumes and asked about it
And launguages that i have worked on and told the work that is done in their team
Prepare the points in your resume well

Prepare before hand for GS as it has a tough selection process

• obejtive c/cpp,
  • cormen for algorithms,
Shortlisting on the basis of CGPA, tough objective round , tough interviews

Overall tough selection process
Package ofcourse and the opportunities they offer