Analyst

Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Kabbage analyst interview

Shantanu SharmaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Delhi for Analyst role at Kabbage
Test HR Interview Puzzle Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitute Test
The Aptitude Section included 2 sections, 1 Quantitative and 1 Data Interpretation. These were pretty straight-forward questions and if you have done a week's preparation for these, you would be able to ace it.
The test has individual cutoff for both sections so do keep it in mind while giving the test and these test copies are used by interviewers during the interview process and have an equal weightage as the interview round, so do your best in the test as well because it will help you at the end during your final evaluation.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Usual HR Questions along with some situational questions like what would you do in such a condition.
There were 2 people who were taking my interview, 1 Indian and 1 was probably from Atlanta Office of Kabbage. They were quite friendly throughout the interview and since I was doing great in the interview, they were also helping me throughout the interview.
The first round of interview is the most important and it gives confidence to us and also makes a huge impact upon the interviewer. So, if you have aced the first round of interview, then there are good chances of your selection.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
    There were some standard puzzles from standard books that we use. I knew them already and aced this round as well.
    Feel confident and instead of directly giving out the answer show your thought process to the interviewer even if you are unable to figure out the right answer.

Behavioural Interview

Interview Questions
      It was the shortest round that I had of just 10 minutes. The interviewer was asking some general questions from my CV.
      It was a round just to check the behavior as the interviewer was a very experienced man. So, don't do anything stupid at this point.

Interview Questions
        There was again finally this one HR interview where some standard questions were asked like why Kabbage? why hire you? etc.
        It was a pretty easy round and the overall evaluation I think constituted 20% from each interview round and 20% from test. So, keep your cool in this round as it is a decisive one.

• Puzzle Solving Capability
        • Behavioural Skills
        • Analytical Skills
        Puzzle solving and behavioural part is most important, so do practice a lot on these.
        Be cool, confident, do your homework about the company in advance as it would give you an extra edge over others and always take tests very seriously.
        It is a very fast growing company. It has already established itself in more than 30 countries in a period of just 6 years and in india it is expanding itself. So, I always wanted to be a part of such a cool startup and more the profile suits me as well.

Citicorp analyst interview

Abhinav SuryaFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at Citicorp
        Test Technical Interview Technical + HR Interview HR Interview

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: A basic question on Bayes Theorem
        • Question 2: Few Complicated questions using Probablity which will be assisted by the interviewer as you interact with them
        • Question 3: Few Finance Questions
        The first round of interview was identifying your interest and testing it. I told I am good at Math and Fin and I was asked all probab and Fin questions. Many others were asked Guesstimates and Puzzles
        Be confident and keep talking and keep interacting, even when you are struggling- it's more about the ideas you put on the table than the answers. Be thorough in basics of probab including all kinds of distribution and all.
        Also the job is for analysing Credit Card usage. And it is a gloabla financial firm. So for questions like, "Tell about yourself" or "Walk me through the resume", keep telling how you are good at handling data. And if you have Fin background, pitch about it.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Guesstimate to find number of Credit Cards in India
        • Question 2: Other questions asking you to convince them you are good for the job
        The interview was mostly a stress interview. They kept telling me that I am somehow not so good for the job and my knowledge in the field is insufficient. And I kept convincing them back that I am indeed a good candidate.
        Keep calm. Prepare HR questions perfectly. You should talk to them as if you are dying too get this job and detail it to them that you are the best candidate for this job. You have to tell them that you have some special capability that others don't (I told about my knowledge in Fin). And you should be really special in that and be able to answer anything.

Interview Questions
        • Question 1: Simple questions like how serious are you about Citicorp and how bad you want the job
        Basic HR questions to test if you are really serious about the hjob and firm. If you did previous 2 intervies well, this must be a cakewalk.
        Be ready to give answers convincing them that this job is the most important thing in your life

• Mathematical Aptitude
        • Probabiity
        • Finance
        • Conversation Skills

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Deutsche bank
        Resume Shortlist HR Interview

A lot of fundaes regarding the writing of the resume were given at a session by McKinsey earlier in the year. I prepared my basic resume based on that and changed it according to suggestions from some friends. Pre-placement talks are essential for getting a broad understanding of the company and the work that one is going to be doing in the job, inspite of the fact that a much nicer version of the reality may be presented in these talks. If one does not have a good idea about a particular sector or a company, attending PPTs can help a lot.About 90 people were shortlisted initially for the inteview, based mainly on a test conducted by the company earlier. The test evaluated students on basic quantitative and DI skills. Out of those, after an interview of about 20-25 mins, about half were shortlisted for the second and the last interview, which immediately followed the first one.

Interview Questions
          In my case, the only interview I attended was for Deutsche Bank, and it did not require any such special preparation.However, some basic finance fundaes were obtained with the help of google and wikipedia. I prepared for interviews with some of my friends. We conducted mock interviews of one another, asking possible questions, especially the HR ones. If done seriously, it helps a lot, in terms of preparation for the few stock questions in interviews and others that one can anticipate. A lot of improvements can be suggested by your friends in terms of framing answers correctly and many other things. Preparation is best done in groups.

The entire interview process consisted of two interviews. The first interview could be called technical, but it was a wide ranging interview. I was initially asked about my stream of engg. The interviewer knew a surprisingly good amount of aero, and I was asked a lot of aerospace related questions, most of which I could answer satisfactorily. I was asked general questions about life in IIT, my hobbies, etc, and some questions on statistics. Finally, I was asked if I knew something about finance. On answering in the affirmative, I was asked questions about options, futures and other such trading basics. The interviewers knew that a workshop on finance had been conducted on campus earlier, so one was expected to have some elementary knowledge about such things.The second interview was a very short one, basically an HR interview. I was asked the usual questions that are asked in an HR interview. They can be easily found out on the net or on documents available in the institute. Be sure to prepare for those questions and know your resume very well. Those two things essentially define how such an interview will go.
          The ideal way to prepare would be to study seriously for CAT! The practice of solving quant and DI questions that one gets in CAT preparation is invaluable for doing well in the test of this as well as many other companies. Doing well in the test is really the key element in the recruitment process. Once the hurdle of the test is cleared, you can present yourself in the way that you want, and lead the interviewer to your areas of comfort by preparing well. Arguably the biggest tool available for preparing for job interviews is the internet. Be sure to find out some info about the company, about your job profile and the expected skills, these can give a direction to your preparation.

AnonymousFresherNot Selected
            Application
            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
            Test HR Interview

• Section 1: Written
            There were 4 sections: Maths, Finance, English, DI and Quant, No negative marking.
            The Maths section had questions on basic probability and statistics. Also the Maths section had a higher weight age than the other sections (Questions carrying 3 marks each while other sections had 1 or 2 marks for each question. They were here, offering a quant profile so that justifies the distribution.)
            The DI/Quant (2 marks each) and English (1 Mark Each) section were similar to CAT.
            The finance section had questions on Basic Accounting.
            Anyone who did well in the Maths section could find his name in the shortlist.

Interview Questions
            • Question 1: Tell me about yourself from the day u were born till today.
            • Question 2: What is a Brownian motion? Properties of Brownian motion?
            • Question 3: What is a Martingale? What are Markov Processes? Is Martingale a Markov Process? Are Markov Processes Martingales?
            • Question 4: One trait of yours that you're not proud of?
            • Question 5: Puzzle: m2 = n2 + 32294
            • Question 6: In a group would it be better for me to assume a leadership position or simply be a part of it? Why?
            It was a 20-25 minute round. There were 2 interviewers, one of them was the HR manager and the other was a Quant Guy.
            In the first question, they stopped me mid way when I mentioned the finance course.
            The puzzle was also asked in last year’s interview.
            I’m still not sure about why I did not qualify for the next round but one of the possible reasons was, I had mentioned my short temperedness as my weakness and later I came to know, this is considered to be a highly undesirable trait in the Investment Banking jobs. So be a bit careful while answering this question.

I would like to start this article by telling you something about your major concern, and that is “Will this economic crisis has a telling effect on your job prospects ?”. And the answer is both Yes and No. I am a 5th year Mathematics student and have closely seen the placements of 3 batches and from my experience, I can surely say that “One who prepares well , gets through, No matter how tough the situation is". It happened with my batch and your batch won’t be an exception (Unless a catastrophe happens).Dilemma: Most of you guys sitting for placement shall be in your 7th semester which is considered to be one of the most hectic of all the semesters. Many of you might be preparing for CAT, others for GRE, some of you would have got a tough guide for your final year project. So you need to prioritize things. You need to think it through; “A Realistic Self Analysis” always helps. I’ll share what I did. I did join coaching classes for CAT but my first priority always was placements and accordingly I planned and executed things. Getting a 99+ percentile and then clearing the GD and PI’s was too much of a risk for me to take. So this might be one of the better times to go for your MBA but always have other options ready just in case.Resume for Analytics Companies:Most of the analytics companies have a lot of Statistical Analysis and Data Management work. So, candidates having an experience in Data handling are preferred. If some project of yours involved Data Handling, mention it in detail. If you have done some of the applied Statistics courses in the Maths/IME department, mention it in your resume.

Credit Suisse analyst interview

Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Surathkal for Analyst role at Credit Suisse
              Test Technical Interview MANAGERIAL ROUND HR Interview

• Section 1: WRITTEN TEST
              A written test for 2 hours. Around 15 were selected for the interviews. Eligibility to write the test was initially 8+ CGPA and was open for EC, CS, EE and IT. It consisted of Multiple choice questions on C-aptitude and General aptitude; a subjective type section that had riddles and some easy questions, another bonus section that had a real life problem (we had an easy question on Server topology that required some analysis on resources, latency and reliability).

Interview Questions
                Warm-up questions on concepts like constructors and destructors, keywords like static, extern; difference between function overloading and function overriding etc etc. Then, little harder 2 - 3 questions on Binary trees and Maximum sub-array problem with optimal solution (divide and conquer). Resume walk through: I was asked to explain on Neural Networks and SVM as I had done quite a no. of projects on the same. They also asked me some questions on Astrophysics since I had said Astronomy is my hobby.

MANAGERIAL ROUND

In this round they had given me specifications of a project and asked me how would I go about it. Decision making abilities are also checked by giving various hypothetical situations. They asked me in very detail about my internship as it was on Parallel Processing.

Interview Questions
                  HR was super friendly after which final results announced.

For all the Analyst positions in finance companies, a strong understanding of OOP concepts is required. Puzzles : gurmeet.net/puzzles/ This is by far the best collection of puzzles (with solutions) I have come across; and many questions in my previous interviews and test were asked from this list.<br /> C-aptitude and aptitude practice was from the previous tests given for other companies.
                  If you have attended previous interviews or tests and not selected for the job, try to see where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. I didn't do any explicit preparation for the tests or the interviews (which I think I should have). Do your homework after a test/interview if it went badly. My previous half a dozen interviews helped me crack this one. When facing the interviewer, carry a notebook, pen and a copy of your resume. When you do not know an answer, the interviewer might explain the solution or just ask you to refer a book. Take a note of this in your notebook. This will show your interest to learn things and how organized you are and also will help you do your homework for the next interview.

The panel that had come for us were extremely friendly. In the interviews, they let us complete our answers and were very patient unlike many other interviews.

Interviews are not so challenging. Know every single point written on your resume. Knowing something on Data Analysis, Machine Learning helps. Strong understanding of Object Oriented Programming is a must. Wear business formals for the tests and interviews (as the students writing the test are shortlisted based on GPA, they expected us to wear Business formals during the PPT and tests), preferably also a tie. Show interest in their company and keep smiling and stay positive.

Goldman Sachs anaylst interview

Aviral JainFresherSelected
                  Application
                  I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Varanasi for Anaylst role at Goldman Sachs
                  Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview Other Interview HR Interview

You need to have a cgpa above 8.00 to be eligible for the written rounds of GS
                  For every college there is a cgpa cutoff
                  Study well you can clear it with ease.

1+1 hr Minutes
                  objective+subjective questions
                  • Section 1: obective(4 sections ,15 questions each)
                  • Section 2: subjective(about 5-10 sections)
                  For objective we had 4 sections maths,coding,aptitute,probability each had 15 questions which had majorly tough questions

For subjective round they have 5-10 sections but tine was lwss so you could attempt only 2-4 sections, sections were based on networking , coding ,maths , probability and so on
                  For objective section study well and attempt as much as you can because most of the questions will go above your head

For subjective choose you sections wisely and attempt accordingly

Interview Questions
                    Questions asked were of average toughness, some that i remember are
                    Stock buy and sell and its variation
                    Some questions of array,trees
                    Some normal agorithms and data structure questions
                    Be calm think wisely the level of questions would be moderate you just have to give the approach

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
                      Some puzzles such as weighing puzzles and so were asked that can be easily found on internet toughness was moderate
                      Think and answer and if you are unable try to get hints asking some queations

Other Interview

Interview Questions
                        Maths questions based on probability distribution, graphs , eigen values and vectors, expectation value and such things were asked
                        Be confident and prepare some topics of maths, toughness level was good and i have to derive some formulas there

Interview Questions
                          Asked about my previous projects and asked me.to explain them in details
                          Gave stress on points in my resumes and asked about it
                          And launguages that i have worked on and told the work that is done in their team
                          Prepare the points in your resume well

• maths
                          • aptitude
                          • coding
                          • projects done
                          • networking
                          • algorithms
                          Prepare before hand for GS as it has a tough selection process

• obejtive c/cpp,
                          • cormen for algorithms,
                          Shortlisting on the basis of CGPA, tough objective round , tough interviews

Overall tough selection process
                          Package ofcourse and the opportunities they offer

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Application
                          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
                          Interview Interview

Interview

Interview Questions
                          • Question 1: Explain the current economic scenario and financial products.
                          • Question 2: Why Deutsche Bank over Goldman Sachs or World Quant?
                          • Question 3: Why not MS?
                          DB was my dream job, with great seniors at that firm, its corporate culture, vast global exposure, and most importantly finance. I went to interview with three DB people, and when I came out of the room, I knew I had nailed it! There is no other way to put it. They grilled me on my career choices and knowledge of finance and economics and I seriously blew them away with my responses. I felt they had to make me an offer.
                          And, then I sat for the next round of interview. My second interview at DB went well. After the interview ended, within a minute, they made me an offer which I gladly accepted.
                          (a) HR questions: This is the most important part for any interview. In companies like DB, your communication skills coupled with your preparation of such questions account for more than 70% of a candidate’s selection. Answering questions about your career goals, interests, and your career thus far should become second nature by the end of November. You must also know the firms and job profiles inside out. I worked on this specific area, and by the end of the placement session, I had gained a reputation among my wingies for my expertise at answering HR questions.

(b) Puzzles: Since this is a non-core sector, puzzles are the only way to objectively test the ability of candidates with diverse backgrounds. Look up braingle.com and techinterview.org. These two should suffice. Also, whenever you come across a puzzle that you’ve already encountered, pretend as if you’re going through it for the first time. Don’t rush through. This is your opportunity to impress them. Do not squander it away!

(c) Finance and economic affairs: If you have a comprehensive knowledge of the financial markets, national economy, and international affairs, in addition to the above two, it is highly improbable that you won’t be selected. For brushing up these, read the Economist (print or online), and read through the opinion pages of Economic Times or the Business Standard for 2-3 months leading to the Placement season. You CANNOT afford to walk into the interview ignorant of terms like European debt crisis, global financial crisis, fiscal cliff, QE, and basic finance like options, hedging etc. Wikipedia, Investopedia and J.C.Hull (first few chapters) are great sources to pick up these.

Interview

Interview Questions

• Knowledge of the financial markets
                            • National economy and international affairs
                            • Basic finance related terms
                            • Problem solving ability
                            1. If you are a B.Tech. student, do not be under the wrong impression that you can target all sectors- core as well as non-core. It is really difficult to prepare comprehensively for all companies, especially if you are in the B.Tech. program owing to time constraints.

2. The Dual degree students have an edge over you for precisely two reasons. Firstly, they get more time to prepare for the placements, and have learnt vicariously from their B.Tech. batch mates experiences. Secondly, they tend to have higher retention rates (good for the companies).

3. Work on your English communication skills which are crucial for performing well in interviews and GDs.

Let neither of these become an obstacle by leaving no stone unturned in the course of your preparations.

Goldman Sachs analyst interview

Rupesh BansalFresherSelected
                            Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Analyst role at Goldman Sachs
                            Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Objective
                            There were 30 questions divided into 3 sections(Computer Science fundamentals, Mathematics and Machine learning) each containing 10 questions. Each question was of 3 points with the negative marking of 1 mark. 60 students were shortlisted from this round.

2nd paper consisted of 3 questions in each section. Each section was of 30 points with each question of different weightage.
                            Time is more that sufficient. Focus on only one section but try to excel in that

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: He explained my what is call value and put value in finance and asked me to plot it so that user maker maximum profit
                            • Question 2: Find the magic number in an sorted array. magic number is the one whose value and index position is same
                            Interviewers are very friendly and helped my if I got stuck anywhere

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: Given a 2d matrix sorted row and column wise, search an element
                            • Question 2: Design a newspaper subscription system

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: A person can climb 1 or 2 stairs. Find the number of ways to jump n stairs
                            • Question 2: How will you mane a LRU Cache

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: Suppose you and I are playing a dice game. The one who get the lesser number looses the games. The dice has n sides. If I start the game, what is the probablity of you winning?
                            • Question 2: Given 3 functions, f which gives the first day of the current month, g gives the next working day and h gives the previous working day, conpute the 3rd working day? Compute the 2nd working day of the previous month? COmpute the 4th working day of the next month?

• Basics Of Machine Learning
                            • Design Engineering
                            • Probabiity
                            • Algorithmic Approach To Problem Solving
                            Try to cover geeks for geeks as much as you can. It will help you a lot
                            Highly relevant work to my interests

KPMG analyst interview

Application
                            I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for ANALYST role at KPMG
                            Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Case Study Interview HR Interview

Based on a cut off of 7.5

Life without Zero
                            5-7 minutes.Abstract topic, so open ended. Within logical boundaries you could be as creative as possible. The discussion went from  importance of binary system to philosophical bearings of "its all relative".  We had to sum up key points discussed towards the end of GD with positives and negatives of "life without zero".
                            Don'ts:Never look at the moderator while making your point, always engage your colleagues.Never interrupt other person midway, if the moderator is sensible enough, everyone would get chance to make their point.Dos:You don't always have to jump to start the GD, but try to put across your points articulately when your turn comes.Always bring a pen and Paper to GD (In case they don't provide) to note down your point of view on the topic.If possible, try to set the tone of the GD in the beginning by pointing out different aspects that can be discussed. (You might get brownie points for that)

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
                            • Question 1: India- Market Entry Strategy for a Greentech company with focus on Solar Energy
                            This round was lasted for around half an hour. I had interned in a Private Equity Research firm focusing on greentech. So they picked up a case from my resume. (This might happen, so be thorough with your internships). They will look for you ability to break-down a problem statement to smaller streams, multidimensional  approach and clarity in thought process.
                            1. Reiterate the problem statement before you start solving the case 2. Think out loud with possible approaches, solutions, etc and pros and cons for each one3. Summarize at the end

Interview Questions
                              Lasted for almost an hour.Typical questions like1. Tell me something about yourself2. Why consulting and KPMG3. Long term goals and how KPMG fits in 4. 3 things you feel you need to improve upon
                              "Tell me something about yourself" sets the tone for this round so be prepared with a quick 2-3 minutes response to steer the discussion towards the points you want to highlight from your resume.
                              A few stress interview questions. Make sure you take your time to answer without panicking.

• Problem Solving

• Case in point,
                              • How to move mount fiji ,
                              1. Be clear on what type of companies you want to apply (Core, Consult, Fin, etc) and why2. Don't fall pray to peer pressure. Company-candidate fit is the most important thing from long term perspective.

3. Be thorough with your resume and story line4. Practice HR questions with your wing mates
                              I was interested working in consult to begin my career, as it gives you good exposure across companies, sectors, you get to interact with different kinds of people and yea you get to travel.
                              One of the consultant who had come down for tech rounds interacted with me outside the room and we had a chat on Saarang and Cricket for a while. Helped me settle down quickly during the interview.

HSBC analyst interview

Sumit SouravFresherSelected
                              Application
                              I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Trichy for Analyst role at HSBC
                              Test Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Logical Reasoning
                              • Section 2: Data Interpretation
                              • Section 3: Retail Banking
                              • Section 4: Econometrics
                              The test was on amcat platform where you can not skip the question and you have to attempt each and every question.the key thing here is accuracy specially in first two section coz in retail banking and econometric will be new for everyone.I am from Industrial Engg and Management(M.tech) so we have some basic idea of Econometrics.
                              Maintain the accuracy and try to give few hours in studying the basic of Retail Banking and Econometric, coz these are the two section where u can take the lead. and never forget that this is the mass rejection process

ONE INDIA ONE ELECTION
                              Follow the basic rule of GD and try to give valid example with your point.
                              Read the Newspaper and be aware of what is happening around.

Interview Questions
                              • Question 1: How will you find the top 5 customer of HSBC from the entire world?
                              • Question 2: About Credit Risk Modelling
                              • Question 3: About my internship (as i have done intern in Data Analytics field)
                              • Question 4: How to find the no of petrol pump in the city
                              my interview was around 35-40 minutes process in which they as the technical part from my resume
                              just be confident and they will try to stress you out.so be calm and compose and try to understand the question properly before start giving your answer
                              they expect the logic how you attempt the question

Interview Questions
                              • Question 1: Basic HR question( like why HSBC,Strength,Weakness.etc)
                              • Question 2: One puzzles--How to calculate the average no of person coming to the airport daily?
                              be ready for the puzzles
                              The process is going to be time talking so be ready to wait, and dont sound low in the interview coz this is the day u are waiting for your entire life.