Analyst

Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Polestar Solutions & Services India analyst interview

Muhammad AnasFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at DTU Delhi for Analyst role at Polestar Solutions & Services India
Test Technical + HR Interview Technical + HR Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude and verbal ability
It was a pretty easy round, it Just had basic aptitude questions. It covered almost all aptitude topics like logarithm, speed distance, probability, time and work, etc
Someone preparing for CAT sincerely can eaaily clear this round or else just solve RS Aggarwal completely and aptitude rounds will become a cake walk for you.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Basic SQL questions, coding basic questions, questions from resume, my internships, projects, extracurricular activities, my interests.
As I was from the mechanical branch, I really didnt know how to code. Also, I didnt have C or C++ in my class 12. So, I just learnt the basics of SQL, which was pretty easy. Also, as the interviewers were young, it was really fun talking to them. It was like a normal discussion. Let's say, I was the team captain of mybfootball team so they wanted to hear about my favourite football players and similar stories. They just wanted to check my confidence and the way I speak.
Just prepare those cliche HR questions, make your points, but dont memorise the answers but just remember the points you will speak on. Also, show your confidence, try not be nervous. Try to communicate with them as much as possible. Also, learn basics of SQL, it won't even take 3 hours or so.

Technical + HR Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: The next round was wirh the director of the company. He asked me to introduce myslef. Then, he went on to ask me about what do I mean by business, does it involve only making profits or does it mean anything else to you. I replied that people are willing to work for money, hw then stopped me and explained to me himself. Then he gave me a puzzle to solve. It was the basic 3 boxed and a coin puzzle. I solved it, he was impressed and then he told me to wait for the next round.
When I solved the puzzle, it was at that moment I realized that now no one can stop me from getting placed in this company. Also, the Director discussed the job profile with me so I was sure that I will get the placement. As I was from mechanical branch, he didnt focus much on languages like SQL, c, java, but from other branches, he did expect them to know these languages.
Be yiurself, dont try to act smart. Show your confidence, also think a bit, listen to the question with all ears and then answer the queation. Dont be in a rush to answer, that shows that you are nervous or you have memorised the answer.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Introduce yourself, why do you think you will be an asset to this company, why should I hire you, family background, how to pwrform under pressure.
It was a stress interview, the interviewer was a CA. He listened to me for 10 min and then he told me that nothing I spoke catch his interest. He told me that he didnt see anything in me so that he can hire me. He told me start again and introduce myself. I started again with a different answer, then he again stopped me and started shouting at me, saying words like I would throw you out of this room, also cursing me to have wasted his time. He again told me to start again, said I could take 1 min to think and give my best shot. I did the same, this time he started laughing and told me that it was a stress interview and also apologized for behaving like a dork. He then appreciated me for being so calm, told me that I had good communication skills, and also a postive attitude. He then asked me about my internship, how I wasted my time but he told me to tell him the truth and not the memorised answers. So, it was a very good experience overall. I managed to clear the tound and then he told my about salary and location of the job.
I had given enough intervieWS and I could easily make out that it was a stress interview. But for someone who faces such interview for first time, dont be nervous, be confident and most important, always keep smiling. It will really help you.

Cherian V. MathewFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
Test HR Interview

40 min Minutes
    28 questions, 18 quantative + 10 financial awareness, negative marking. I took one pass through the Quant section, leaving about 5 questions, went on to the financial section, realized I wasn't going to score that well there so went back to Quant eventually attempting all 18, having to guess 1 answer since I ran out of time. I attempted probably 2-3 in financial. The test matters a lot to get shortlisted - some CSE students didn’t get shortlisted apparently because of a low test score. I would suggest that focus should be primarily on the quant section rather than the finance section - a friend in CSE who said he did well in the finance section didn’t get shortlisted.

Quant
    1. Find next in sequence : 10,1,.......7,7...11,5 - don't remember the rest of the sequence but it looked random
    initially it but if you take the difference between alternate terms an obvious pattern emerges .
    2. Probability of two people telling the truth = 0.4,0.6 - what is the chance that they are inconsistent in what they say ?
    3. A 3 digit number is a square less than 500, the reverse of the number is also a square. on repeating last digit still a square. What is the difference between the initial square, its reverse.
    4. In a 1000m race if x gives y a head start of 40 meter, x wins by 10m. how much will x win by if y gives x a head start of 40m
    5. With 16 matches, how many distinct triangles can you make?
    6. You row at 7kmph in a calm lake. fisherman drops something 14 km upstream and the river current is 3kmph, how long will it take to reach you (14/7 = 2hrs ).
    7. The sum of the multiples of 7 between 200 and 400 is what (trick was instead of calculating, to observe that the answer is odd and of the 5 options, only one was odd)?
    8. Sum of consecutive page numbers in a book starting from 1 to n is 1000 - one page was repeated. which page was it? (idea was to subtract each choice from 1000 and see if it was n _ (n + 1)/2)
    9. Last digit of 508508
    10. 6 men + 4 women. Make a committee of 3 from them - Guy X wont be with Guy Y. Guy Y will be only with Woman Z in committee. How many ways of making the committee?
    11. Run in circle of radius r. 1st 30 seconds at r meters/min, then next 1 min at r/2 m per min next 2 min at r/4 and so on. ratio of times taken in round n, previous round
    12. |(x ? 11)/2| < 3 what is the range of x?
    13. number of integer solutions to 3x + 6y = 13 (take 3 common on LHS and the answer is clear).
    14. 5 students give an objective exam (+1 for correct, 0 for wrong) with 5 questions each with 5 choices. Their answers were given in a 5x5 matrix. Given they all got different marks, who got the lowest.
    15. A,B,C,D stand in a line in increasing order of height. Given that X was shorter than Y but didnt stand first, and (a few more conditions) , who stood last? (X and Y had been specified as one of A, B, C, D - I don’t remember exactly since I gave the test 10 days back).

Financial
    1. Rupee-dollar exchange rate (options were ranges of 1 rupee answer ws 39-40)
    2. value of some index (some non-Indian East Asian country’s stock market - I forgot the name)
    3. Effect of interest rate cuts on a bond coupon
    4. Simple question on call option - which of following is not true about it
    5. 1st Indian IT company to be listed on Nasdaq

6. Given a pie chart where it showed that for capital, a company relied 80% on equity and a small fraction on debts, what investment strategy is the company using? Conservative/Aggressive?

Interview Questions
    • Question 1: Why DB (2 min)
    • Question 2: Can some work you did at Microsoft be used in DB (I wasn’t at all expecting this but thought and found that an algo I designed could be applied to a problem in the stock market domain)?
    • Question 3: Estimate your quant score. If you add your quant score to the avg finance score would that be highest overall score?
    • Question 4: Asked me to redo the pie chart question. I got it correct I think though I didn’t attempt it. They asked why I didn’t attempt finance (Reply : I wanted to do on thing well and time was a constraint).
    • Question 5: Asked me to redo the pie chart question. I got it correct I think though I didn’t attempt it. They asked why I didn’t attempt finance (Reply : I wanted to do on thing well and time was a constraint).
    • Question 6: Puzzle - express JEE rank as xy + yx (put y=1, x = rank - 1)
    • Question 7: Didn’t Microsoft give you a PPO (I said no, which was technically true)? Why not Microsoft(note that they asked this though Microsoft was scheduled on Day 2) (2 min)?
    • Question 8: Why not Tower Research (5 min)?
    I was the last person DB interviewed that day. Towards the end, the interviewer said “I am sure you are going to join Tower Research and not DB”. They also seemed to have decided before I came in to the interview that I would get an offer with some other company and would not choose DB - kept attacking the answers I gave to ‘Why not Microsoft/Tower’. In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have listed all the 4 tech companies I had interned with.

Credit Suisse analyst interview

SIDDHARTH SHARMAFresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ANALYST role at Credit Suisse

Interview Questions
      • Question 1: Questions about career goals, interests and future prospects.
      • Question 2: Firm-related questions
      1. At First, I missed the Credit Suisse GD since I hadn’t brought along a portfolio manager (one who handles your interview schedule and attends to the ever-ringing mobile phone).
      2. I proceeded to Credit Suisse, and requested their HR contact to give me a chance since I could not turn up for the GDs.
      3. It was here that I handed over my mobile phone to my friend Apratim Tiwari, who was managing the Credit Suisse procedures, and requested him to pursue the HR guy to schedule an interview, and also handle my phone when I was interviewing and he had successfully managed to get me an interview with Credit Suisse.
      4. The interview went well. They were apparently quite impressed.
      5. Two more rounds of interviews, and the HR guy made me an offer.
      6. But, since Deutsche Bank was my dream company, I was also interviewing with them and got selected.
      You would need to focus on three broad areas for a comprehensive preparation:
      (a) HR questions: This is the most important part for any interview. In companies like DB, your communication skills coupled with your preparation of such questions account for more than 70% of a candidate’s selection. Answering questions about your career goals, interests, and your career thus far should become second nature by the end of November. You must also know the firms and job profiles inside out. I worked on this specific area, and by the end of the placement session, I had gained a reputation among my wingies for my expertise at answering HR questions.
      (b) Puzzles: Since this is a non-core sector, puzzles are the only way to objectively test the ability of candidates with diverse backgrounds. Look up braingle.com and techinterview.org. These two should suffice. Also, whenever you come across a puzzle that you’ve already encountered, pretend as if you’re going through it for the first time. Don’t rush through. This is your opportunity to impress them. Do not squander it away!
      (c) Finance and economic affairs: If you have a comprehensive knowledge of the financial markets, national economy, and international affairs, in addition to the above two, it is highly improbable that you won’t be selected. For brushing up these, read the Economist (print or online), and read through the opinion pages of Economic Times or the Business Standard for 2-3 months leading to the Placement season. You must also regularly read a newspaper like the Hindu or Indian Express to keep yourself abreast of the latest events which frequently become a focal point of group discussions (for Credit Suisse). You CANNOT afford to walk into the interview ignorant of terms like European debt crisis, global financial crisis, fiscal cliff, QE, and basic finance like options, hedging etc. Wikipedia, Investopedia and J.C.Hull (first few chapters) are great sources to pick up these.

• Problem solving skills
      • Finance Basics
      • Basic HR questions
      • Economic affairs
      1. I scored a 100 percentile in CAT and the preparation made a huge impact on preparing for any of the interviews.<br /> 2. I also interned at Morgan Stanley which was further a plus for me.<br /> 3. I had received Honda YES Award, University of Tokyo-IIT Scholarship and my academic background was quite good.

• Fifty challenging problems in probability by Frederick Mosteller,
      1. If you are a B.Tech. student, do not be under the wrong impression that you can target all sectors- core as well as non-core. It is really difficult to prepare comprehensively for all companies, especially if you are in the B.Tech. program owing to time constraints.

2. The Dual degree students have an edge over you for precisely two reasons. Firstly, they get more time to prepare for the placements, and have learnt vicariously from their B.Tech. batchmates' experiences. Secondly, they tend to have higher retention rates (good for the companies).

3. Work on your English communication skills which are crucial for performing well in interviews and GDs.

Let neither of these become an obstacle by leaving no stone unturned in the course of your preparations.

4. You can’t appear for more than 4 companies in the first slot. It is not realistic. Hence, decide beforehand. I knew I hadn’t prepared enough for consulting or core, hence I opted out of ITC and Opera.

5. If you are shortlisted in multiple companies, ask a reliable friend to accompany you to the interviews, and handle your mobile phone (“managing one’s portfolio”). You’ll thank me someday for this advice.

6. I was happy that I prepared as much as I did, neglecting my college academics in the process. It is a decision I am proud of.

7. My Morgan Stanley internship distinguished me from scores of other candidates. I had never truly appreciated its importance till then. That also goes to show how important it is to get a good internship.

KESHAV GOEL,FresherSelected
      Application
      I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
      Round 1 Round 2

My first interview started off with a quick chat with a VP on Ideatrics (which was indeed a confidence-booster, showing that they had done their homework). There were 2 other interviewers on the panel, one of which didn’t pose any questions throughout the interview. Thereafter, a couple of quick questions were asked on cities which I enjoyed travelling to while I was in Europe. This was followed with a composition of a 30-second ad campaign for Tourism Barcelona. Hence, I was all softened up for the rigors ahead. What followed was a barrage of puzzles from an IIT-K alumnus, who fired approximately 10-12 puzzles in a 7-8 minutes span. She made sure to test most of the areas. Though I was able to do them, the time given to come up with a complete solution was pretty short. Hence, it was imperative to give a gist of the solution and explain the approach in a concise manner. One thing which was visible was that the puzzles had some variations or provided incomplete information (though I am not very sure that was intentional or not). So, you are required to ask questions which fill up the gaps. This also acts as a check to see whether the candidate is reproducing mugged up solutions or not. I was well prepared for this, hence this round passed off on a positive note despite its pace. With things such as current affairs and finance still untested, I was pretty upbeat.

I waited a bit for my second round and interviewed with Opera in the meantime. The panel at DB this time comprised of 4 people, with another one who kept moving in and out. This round was on basic prob. and statistics, with questions on skewness and kurtosis, wherein I was asked to draw and compare their plots for securities with different characteristics. A couple of puzzles were asked as well, though there was nothing out of the blue regarding puzzles. A 4-person panel was indeed daunting, with constant challenges being raised on the solutions provided by me, probably to ruffle me up a bit. Again, working up from the basics helps in this case to illustrate the correctness of your solution.
      After this round, I was slightly less confident. I was informed that I would not be having any more interviews
      and I approached to interview with Diamond.
      One thing which bothered me was the fact that no questions were asked on current affairs, neither on economics nor on finance. This was my strongest point as I had done enormous amount of research on everything ranging from DB to markets in general. Even the CFA L1 material was hardly touched upon. Before I was presented with the offer, I was asked some questions on my strengths and weaknesses and why I wanted to join DB. I was adequately able demonstrate my interest in DB and that was the end of it.

I was interested in DB, having done some research on the company in general and the profile they offered at IIT Kanpur in particular. DB conducted a white-paper challenge by the name of ‘Ideatrics’ during August-September. This provided me with an opportunity to visit CIB Centre, Mumbai in person. I feel that this experience motivated me further towards preparing for placements in general and DB in particular. Being selected as the campus winner proved to be an icing on the cake. I would advise you to actively take part in such activities if time permits. Apart from the obvious brownie points which you earn on winning the<br /> competition, it gives you an insight on the day-to-day work which you may be doing if recruited.
        Campus Placements can be an excruciating experience, but an in-depth analysis of your strengths and

weaknesses beforehand can help you focus on your goals. I had an inclination towards Finance since the

beginning of my program at IIT Kanpur, illustrated by the fact that I have done all my internships in related

fields. Time spent in Munich strengthened my belief and I decided to pursue opportunities in Finance, both in campus and off-campus. But as there are a significant number of consulting companies which visit our campus, I decided to undertake a 5-month internship at KPMG, which provided me with a flavor of both the worlds in an international setting.

General Prep.:

Being an economics student, the options have been neatly narrowed down for you. One can apply in companies which are only open for all the students; hence Finance, Consulting and Analytics (as they are known at IITK) were the fields where I had to concentrate upon. I started preparing solely for finance, with Deutsche Bank and Capital One topping the charts on my list. Preparations were focused on preparing for the aptitude tests taken by most of the companies. Reference materials comprised of the CAT preparatory material and a few websites for puzzles. Apart from that, constant feedback and review of the CV was an ongoing process. Appearing for some mock tests arranged for by the SPO was indeed helpful.

Pradyumna JavalekarFresherSelected
        Application
        I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Deutsche bank
        Resume Shortlist HR Interview Case Study Interview Puzzle Interview Group Discussion

Firstly, studied the resumes of seniors who had a similar profile like me and had secured good jobs. Then, attended the Mckinsey resume writing workshop which also helped a lot. I had also looked up the Mckinsey website for tips on resume writing. After doing all the homework, drafted a resume on my own and passed it on to a trusted senior who suggested changes. After making changes, passed it on to at least 4-5 seniors who also suggested changes. So, finally, after getting it reviewed by several experienced persons, drafted the final version.Frankly, I attended very few (only 3) PPTs. Only those which I was serious about. I do admit that going to a PPT does give you a good idea of what the job is going to be like and will help you choose between two jobs. However, I also believe that missing a PPT does not actually blind you and you can easily ask people around you about the details of the PPT which actually gives you enough information for the time being.Resume shortlisting close to 80 people were shortlisted.First interview (25 minutes) close to 40 were shortlisted. Second interview (10-15 mins) 20 were recruited.

This was always going to be easy for me I presumed, and it actually was. Frankly, since I have good communication skills and PR skills, I only had to look up certain standard questions which my seniors sent me by email. However, eventually, the HR part I handled on the spot.
        First prepare your answers to certain questions which you think you will be asked. Then get your friend/senior to ask you those plus any other questions he thinks are relevant and take feedback from him after the session.

Case Study Interview

I looked up a lot of PDFs (available on institution servers), of which I would say the most useful was Kellogg_casepack2001_CASES. The others were also pretty good, like the Harvard one, but the best thing about the Kellogg casepack was the way they presented the solutions.
        The best way to do case studies is in pairs. Pick you partner, pick some case studies which each will ask the other on that day (say 3-4 per day or more). The person who is going to play the interviewer should read the case well and come prepared before presenting it to the interviewee.

Puzzle Interview

I only looked up puzzles at the end of the first day, after losing out on Mckinsey. Googled for a lot of puzzlesall night and prepared as much as I could.

I was pretty good at that already. So, left it to myself.
        Obviously should be done in groups of 5-8.

I had to face two interviews. The first one was really the main interview where I was asked the following:About myself, About my music album, Mood Indigo and various extra currics. I was NOT AT ALL asked about my academics. One puzzle, which I solved. ? Why investment banking/finance? My interview was actually more of a conversation. We talked about music, dramatics, general stuff about life and only towards the very end he asked me a puzzle. He was mainly trying to evaluate my communication and PR skills which were my strongest points. At the end of the interview, he directly sent me to the second round (the others were told to wait and told after a while if they were going to the second round). So, this was a good indication that I was doing well. In the second round I met the CEO and the HR Manager who just asked me a couple of questions: What all companies I was shortlisted in and what are my preferences. About my music album. It was a very short interview. I was questioned only for 5 mins. The rest of the time he was explaining to me about the job and related issues. I would sum up my deutsche interview experience to be pretty easy and straightforward.
        Go through Puzzles. Should be a good speaker, they make you talk a lot, about anything and everything.

Dress well. It matters a lot. Especially for these big Ibanks and consults. Of course, what you do in the interview matters, but looking good will always add to the overall effect. Do not overlook this. It is better to wear a suit for the ibanks and consultancies. For the rest, formal shirt, tie would do.

Rahul TewariFresherNot Selected
          Application
          I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
          Test Interview Interview

I thought I had not done very well. They were looking for good performance in the Quant Section which had many questions on Probability and Statistics. I did not do well in this section. However, I was short-listed.

Interview

By the time my interview turn came for the interview, the interviewers were running out of time. They just had 10 minutes per person. (They had a flight from Lucknow!). As I entered, I was told to quickly tell about me, why finance and why not a PhD. He asked a question from the test paper. I think the interview lasted less than 10 minutes.

Interview

This round also lasted for about 10 minutes. This time it was more finance oriented. He asked some basic questions on Forwards, Futures and Options.
            Deutsche Bank did not select me. I thought it was mainly because of my test score. I was later told that it was because they thought I did not fit the profile well.

1. Make a good resume – bug your seniors.<br /> <br /> 2. Practice for aptitude tests – otherwise the one’s preparing for CAT have distinct advantage.<br /> <br /> 3. Improve communication skills – do lots of mock interviews and GDs.<br /> <br /> 4. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst – the scenario is bad – even the best can be in for a long placement season, and feeling bad about it will only make matters worse – it’s just your first job – in the long run of your career, these fluctuations won’t matter; what will matter is, how you handle these fluctuations.
              The Decision Making Process: Like most people at IITK, I was in a dilemma of what to do after my graduation. Broadly, I had two options in front of me – Core (PhD/Job) and Non-Core (MBA/Job). I had already had some research exposure. I had worked on some good research projects during my internships and also at IITK. Although I thought I was good at research, I wanted to explore working in a corporate environment as I had never done that before. Also, the life as a PhD and thereafter, seemed less action packed and less dynamic for me. Maybe I could do it at a later part in my life, but for now I decided to explore the Non-Core sector. I was looking for a company which would give me business exposure as well as an opportunity to learn and develop my skill set.Amongst the non-core sectors, Consultancy with its varied exposure seemed the best to me. I thought FMCG gave a wonderful leadership experience and was my second preference. Finance involved too much numbers and probability (something I’m not good at). But still it was my third preference (amongst the options available) as I am quite interested in the financial world. Analytics and then IT followed. Despite the heavy pay-package, the Oil sector did not attract me a lot. I did not prepare for it but still applied as we had very few good options this year.

Experiences:

1. In general, I would say that my preparation was good as 5th year had a lot of time.

2. It’s fun to prepare, especially HR and giving and taking mock interviews.

3. Shocks and Surprises – I was told that anything can happen during placements and it turned out to be true. The McKinsey shortlist came out in early October and I was not short-listed. I had not expected this at all and had even started practicing case studies long before. This left me really disappointed.

4. Try to do things early, November gets really busy – End Sems, CAT, Revise everything (I was not able to revise Fluid Mechanics).

5. Prepare for tests well, they matter a lot – if you score very well in the test (top few), the interview process would just check that you can talk, solve puzzles and you are interested (you will join). Besides, sometimes it is difficult to judge who is better by the interview process – the tests score matter then as they are the only objective score that they have (apart from CPI).

6. Know Probability well – learn Probability and Statistics and maybe even Stochastic Processes if you have not done these courses and you want a job in Finance/Analytics.

7. Don’t just prepare for consultancy / finance / FMCG – less than 10 people got placed in these companies. Prepare for other companies as well. Have a backup plan ready and do not lose hope, the scenario is bad – it’s not your fault – things will improve!

KPMG analyst interview

Gunjan HarjalFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at KPMG
              Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview Other Interview

There was no aptitude test, only resume screening, out of that 120 people were shortlisted.

100 days of NAMO headed in right direction or not.
              General topics were given. Everyone was praising NAMO so just to stand out, I decided to go against the motion and it worked. The main catch in the GD was each group had 8 members but time allotted for discussion was only 5 minutes so you might get only a few opportunities to speak so prepare solid concrete points so that you stand out from the others, lay them out effectively and you will clear the round easily. After GD 12 people were shortlisted for forensics
              Take the center seat if possible. If you start the discussion, do so with proper topic(it may seem stupid now but people do make mistakes in that as well). Don’t try and dominate from early stages of discussion. Give everyone a chance to speak(not at a cost of your own turn though). Your nature in the discussion(aggressive or a team player) should depend on the type of job description. At the end you should have stated one concrete point don’t just talk without any sense it does not help at all.

Interview Questions
              • Question 1: what do you know about networking?
              • Question 2: what do you know about virtualization?
              • Question 3: what is cloud?(i assumed he meant cloud computing here)
              • Question 4: Tell me about any one of your projects or internships?
              • Question 5: How proficient are you with MS excel?
              There were no 'ice breaker' questions straightaway tech questions.
              Select one language you want to be perfect at, know the basics of others as well. I had selected C asmy language.In general I was preparing from the standard textbooks (Let us c,Test our C skills and others)Solve each and every problem in the book clear your concepts thoroughly. I preferred leaving the coding part for the later stages of my preparation as I had focused first on clearing my aptitude test and then on my interview(coding was required at the interview and not for aptitude test).

Interview Questions
              • Question 1: Tell me about your family background?
              • Question 2: Given a choice between KPMG and a company X How likely is it that you will take up the job here?
              • Question 3: Sell me this pen?
              • Question 4: There is a lot of travelling involved are you comfortable with it?
              • Question 5: This job will involve interacting with clients who might be very rude...how comfortable are you dealing with such people?
              The interview kept on shuffling between the Tech guy and the HR lady so that was a good sign.5 people were shortlisted after this round.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
              • Question 1: Tell me about your technical project in 1 minute?
              • Question 2: why KPMG?
              • Question 3: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
              • Question 4: What is software licensing?
              Interview with the director. This was a telephonic interview since the director was unable to reach the campus.Most of the questions were repeated from the previous rounds.

• Soft Skills
              It doesn't matter how good the product is you can't sell it. Your soft skills help you present yourself in front of the recruiters. This cannot be developed overnight, you need to have consistent practice for the GD and the interview. Some of the tips for Interviews: Never Say ‘NO’ or ‘I don’t know’ in an interview, say you don’t remember or are not clear on the concept a direct ‘NO’ places you on the defensive. NEVER LIE, this is an interview not our viva,the person sitting in front of you is much more experienced in spotting liars and much more smart then we are. Show some respect. Prepare the answers to standard questions Be prepared to be grilled on anything and everything on your resume so don’t give false facts in that.

• R.S. Agarwal,
              Your resume introduces you to the interviewer before you do it yourself so work hard onit.DO NOT copy some templates from the internet, design one for yourself. Avoid cluttering it withuseless facts. Design one for each profile accordingly.

Nomura analyst interview

TRISHA ROYFresherSelected
              Application
              I was interviewed on-campus at BIT Mesra for ANALYST role at Nomura
              Behavioural Interview

Behavioural Interview

I am shedding some light on the Nomura Recruitment Process and what you should do to avail such an opportunity (apart from Posting here:D). Please bear with me as i am using the same format as i posted in some other site smile emoticon smile emoticon .1: What was the reaction when you first got selected and how did your parents react?Trisha : Well, considering that I already had a job, I was happy and satisfied, but not ecstatic altogether. My parents however, were very glad. My basic emotion at the moment was contentment.2. Can you describe the hiring process in brief?Trisha : The hiring process consisted of a written aptitude test, followed by three interviews, two technical and one HR. The written test consisted of a quantitative section, a verbal ability section, and a section on Logical Reasoning. The first technical interview comprised of puzzles, basic questions on finance, some problems on programming and some questions about internships. The HR round was fairly simple and predictable. The second technical interview primarily revolved around a slightly complex programming problem.3. Which was the toughest question and how did you answer it?Trisha : I was asked to write a code/algorithm for a chess game in the last interview, and not being a Computer Science or Information Technology student, I was initially a little reluctant in going ahead with the problem. However, I started simplifying the problem to a code for a single King and a single Pawn, concentrating on protecting the king from all directions. The interviewer too helped me along the way by giving certain hints and directions, and eventually, over the pleasant interaction which lasted about twenty minutes, we had before us a well written algorithm for the question.4. What according to you was the company looking for in candidates?Trisha : I think the primary thing they were looking for was smartness and strong analytical skills. They wanted people who, when faced with tricky and perplexing situations, can do better than giving up right away. They wanted street smart and confident people, who had the inherent ability to quickly and efficiently develop decent programming logic.5. What tips you can give which might help other freshers applying similar jobs?Trisha : I will suggest that future aspirants practice solving some mathematical puzzles before appearing for the interview. They should appear very confident and composed throughout the entire process.6. What was that one thing which you think might have helped you over others?Trisha : I believe my confidence might have worked in my favor the most. Moreover, I am usually very good with puzzles and analytical questions, which I think was apparent, and might have played a vital role in my selection.7.Working at Nomura is going to be very challenging. What are your expectations?Trisha : As far as I am concerned, I would get bored without challenges. Hence, I look forward to a very competitive yet healthy work culture at Nomura, that enables me to acquire sufficient domain knowledge in the field of analytics, business and finance.8.Given that you have two offers now (Nomura and Indian Oil) which company are you planning to join and why?Trisha : Though I am still consulting some seniors on the matter and have not made my final choice yet, still I think I will probably join Nomura. That is so because considering my future aim of doing an MBA in finance, I believe my work-experience in Nomura will give me an edge over IOCL during the time of admissions.
              Nomura and Indian Oil Corporation are two completely different companies with completely different profiles and still I being a chemical engineering graduate from BIT Mesra managed to land job offers from both of them. Nomura hires recent graduates from some of the top colleges like BIT Mesra, IITs, NITs etc. Nomura has a strong presence in India and offers a wide range of financial products and services. Nomura normally looks for analyst profiles in investment banking but from engineering colleges it’s usually for a technical profile either to create software to help other analyst make smarter trading decisions or testing profiles to improve upon already existing software. The starting salary for an analyst profile is around INR 8 LPA but within an year or two it quickly jumps to INR 13-15 LPA depending on the performance.

Ravi Kiran ReddiFresherNot Selected
                Application
                I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
                Resume Shortlist Test

Since it is a Finance profile, it would help if you have any finance /economics/ MBA projects to write about. DB looks for a good CPI and decent projects or extra curriculars and interest in the finance sector. It also wouldn't hurt to mention your technical skills here.

Since most of the finance work in India is back office (with all due respect to all those who have been placed in this sector), you have to be comfortable with numbers and calculations. The test is a typical CAT type paper mostly concentrating on quantitative analysis and data interpretation. There is also a bonus finance section for those who have knowledge on the subject.
                  Again practice cat type papers well and sit with a knowledgeable friend of yours to discuss topics in finance.
                  The short listing for the interview is based on both the performance in the test and the resume. (More on the test)

I never got through any of those tests. people who prepared seriously for CAT breezed through the test and I was left to bite their dust. I didn't make it into any of the good (read well paying) jobs during on the first 4 days.

Realize when you are in a recession period, no job comes easy. Most of us who are not insanely intelligent like that one dude in your wing need to practice hard for the test to get through. In a recession/slack scenario core companies save the day. Don't neglect your core courses.

Internship: (attention third year people!)

When it comes to the placement interview, internships play pivotal role. There are rarely any interviews where the interviewee isn't drilled on their internships. So, please don‟t treat an internship as a paid vacation. Good work done during the internship gives one the confidence that can very well bowl the interviewer over (as it did in my case :D). Believe me confidence does much more than get you a job; it determines success and failure in mostundertakings. Internship gives you the first chance to build that up … use it!

Pre Placement Talks:

Please attend the ppts of at least those companies which fall into your sector of interest. At ppts you get to see a lot more things than the boring presentations and the pay package. Most companies bring along with them alumni who have spent a few years in the company. Observing or interacting with them will give you a good assessment of what you are going to be a few years from now if you join that company. For example I observed that alumni of XYZ Company were not as upbeat and confident as alumni of ABC Company (names have been hidden on request ;) ) even if XYZ was paying plenty more than ABC. I knew then and there that I would want to join ABC and never applied to XYZ. Be sure to utilize them and be sure to clear all your doubts and conceptions. Once you start attending presentations you will observe junta asking questions just to score brownie points with the speaker. Believe me it won't help one bit in landing them a job!

Resumes:

Making an appealing resume is the single most important step in the placement process and IITK is notorious for its bad resumes, so attend workshops. Like most IITK junta I sucked at making a resume (and still do), but whatever little skill I have, I got through workshops. One workshop I would advise everyone to attend is the resume making workshop of McKinsey. Get your resumes checked and edited by those who have been through placement especially by those from other IITs (I know this will hurt a lot of egos, but IITB's resumes are some of the best. Those dudes have mastered the art of making an impact with whatever little they've got, while we excel at doing exactly the opposite :P). Prepare an impactful resume and don't submit the same resume to every company, make changes based on the profile.

Snapdeal analyst interview

SAHIL .FresherSelected
                    Application
                    I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for ANALYST role at Snapdeal
                    Test Group Discussion Puzzle Interview Guesstimate Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Aptitude Test
                    It was a speed Test. Question including all the aptitude areas English, Calculations, Mental Ability etc.
                    Be a human calculator, you shouldn't do calculations manually. Everything should be done in your mind.

10min. Minutes
                    Whether the new start-ups focus on quality or offers??
                    It was GD of 20 students at a time so you can guess there was no time for everybody to speak their mind. But still in the end everyone was a given chance so that they can speak. I was given the chance to speak in the end and I utilized every bit of it. I used snapdeal (the company in which I was appearing) in the illustrations and some good management keywords which make my impression very good in-front of the Invigilator.
                    You don't need to be mind blowing in English, all you need is the content. Don't speak in layman language, try you use some big words and always say all the good things for that company in illustrations. Try to avoid using competitor of the company.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Cube with six colors how many different cubes can be obtained?
                    • Question 2: Mean median mode, why median is best
                    • Question 3: whether 899 is prime or not??

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
                    • Question 1: Guess the amount of water used in the college?
                    • Question 2: Calculate what single cut bookmyshow should charge from the customers depending on the various factor..... Ans. List the factors like movie of superstar, festival occasion etc.

• Aptitude
                    • Puzzle solving
                    • SQL
                    • R language
                    1. Dont take written test lightly. Prepare as much as you can.

2. Join any CAT preparation websites or coaching.

3. Prepare for GDs with groups other than yours regularly.
                    Big Package

Good profile, the one I was looking to enter into.

Had a great internship their, so kind of PPO
                    How I was almost out of the process??  First they announced a cut off 41 out of 50 in their written test. About 259 students were shortlisted. Just before the GDs were to be held in the evening of Day 2, a notice appears that cut off has been revised and new cut off is 47. Only 58 students were there in the new shortlist. Imagine other 200 students, all suited with preparations done, were asked to leave the scene !! I was very serious about working in an e-commerce company. Guess what, I had 42 marks in the test.We were walking back to the hostel, clicked some pics thinking at-least wore the suit for first time and abusing the company blah blah blah.But then came the news just half an hour after that and Luckily some guys convinced the Snapdeal's Placement coordinator and yes we were back in the race, actually won the race :D