Analyst

Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Hussain BharmalFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Goldman Sachs
Test Technical Interview

• Section 1: MCQ Objective: Probability+General Math (10Q), Algorithms and Data Structures(10Q), Core CS (5Q)-Optional for non CSE students.
  • Section 2: Subjective: Probability+General Math (4-5 Q), Algorithms and Data Structures(4-5 Q), Core CS (2-3 Q)-Optional for non CSE students.
The first half is objective. I believe the candidates need to clear a bare minimum in each section in order for their subjective papers to be checked. After 75-90 minutes, the objectives are collected and the subjective papers are distributed (again 75-90 minutes long). Everyone is allowed to finish both papers. You're allowed to leave in the middle of the duration if you don't want to attempt any further. Disclaimer: This has been the format more or less in the last 2 placement rounds ('13 and '14). It may/may not change.
The test is the most important part of getting an interview. People with very good CPI's and stellar resumes might not even get an interview if they don't do well in the test. The test is extremely conceptual and will grill one on the basics. Some resources which will help you to figure out the type of questions that can be asked: http://www.cseblog.com/

It would be advisable to take an algorithms and a probability class if you haven't studied them and want to do good in the test. MOOCs are also an option if you can't get a classroom course.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 1. What is the probability that a person starting at 1 and who takes single steps ahead/back with equal probabilities reach 0 before 100?
  • Question 2: Variants of using random number generators/Monte Carlo Simulations to generate value of Pi and other quantities.
All interviews had a highly technical component again based on my quanti skills. Whatever quanti based technical skills I'd mentioned on my resume were thoroughly grilled upon along with the questions/puzzles asked.

HR was limited to tell me about yourself and why do you want to join the firm.
1. Again a huge focus is on your tech skills (similar questions to the test), and:

2. From what I've gathered so far, the firm is an extremely team oriented  place. So if they feel you lack the adequate communication and team skills, that translates to a no-go. I wasn't asked specifically about experiences I've had in teams and other PORs I've held, but you can be sure that they will have a look at it in your resume and will also judge you during the interview based on the way you explain your solution/thought process to them. There are always examples of people who are technically proficient but don't pass the (coarse IMO) filter of soft skills. So do work on them.
Placement process is important if you want to get out in the business/non-academia world. Clean your slates of all extraneous rubbish before the semester begins as each and every day of the semester is important. Starting from resume, going to PPTs, figuring out your companies, practicing apti tests, sharpening tech skills, acquiring case prep skills, GDs, giving tests, preparing for interviews/HR and finally going for it in December. It's a jam packed roller coaster ride and you don't want to miss out on the fun by engaging with something not driving you towards your goal. The learning curve in this semester can be exponential if you commit to it and it is indeed a lot of fun. There might be a bit of physical stress due to the number of hours you will possibly be putting into the process, but make sure you stay out of pressures of any kind: self imposed or peers.
I love my math and want to work in a place where I get to use analytical/quanti skills everyday. Finance is a good place to do this as I was told by my seniors (Disclaimer: I have practically zero finance knowledge as of now). Also I want to work with the smartest and the most analytical people. GS ranked the highest on both the fronts according to me among the companies that hire from mechanical. I knew people working there before the placements who told me about their positive experiences over there. Plus, it is an elite institution with a lot of perks and good compensation.

TL;DR: No-brainer.
1. String of night outs for 7-10 days for putting up a good resume: Close friends sitting a room with microsoft word in front of them and getting existential crisis about what they've done in their life. Finally a week of polishing the resumes and reading them: Man, I think I've done a decent job in IIT.

2. Last line of resume: avid fan of Led Zeppelin.

3. Day 0, T minus 12 hours: Majorly flunked a mock interview with a friend as I realized that I'd spent the previous week on non conentional HR like 'which animal best represents you and why' and was struggling with my tell me about yourself basics. Sat for the next 5 hours cooking up and mugging the answers to the standard HR questions. These is how I fared:

3. Towards the end of my very first interview (with a consulting firm):

Int: Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Me: My favorite band is Led Zeppelin. I really, really love their songs.

Int: You got me there. (smiles).

Got the next interview right after that with the same firm.

4. In the next interview:

Int: So what do you think a consultant does?

Me:(I had decided the previous night to go ahead with this answer) A consultant is like Batman, and the clients are like commissioner Gordon. They flash the light when they're in trouble, and the consultant is always there when help is needed. They'll do they their job as quickly and efficiently as possible just like Batman. (I followed it up with the reasonable standard answer.)

5. When the HR head of GS told me in the last interview that they were planning to put my name in the final hiring list and I said I'd be glad to accept that and wouldn't plan to go for any other firm if they're planning to do so:

Me: So, should I stick around here now or am I free to go get my beer?

Int: Go ahead and get your beer :)

Nomura analyst interview

Shashank ShekharFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Nomura
Resume Shortlist Case Study Interview HR Interview

Resume shortlisting for Management Consulting roles depends on three key factors:1) Management and Networking abilities (Key Parameter: "Position of Responsibility" held during college)2) Business Acumen (Key Parameter: Internships and performance during case study interview)3) Academic Performance and/or Specialized Technical Expertise (Key Parameter: good CPI, certifications etc.)
1) The meat of your resume is fixed, however, how you present it can create much more impact during the shortlisting process. It's very important to spend a good deal of effort on your resume. Ask for some resumes from your seniors who secured good jobs in the previous years and get yours verified by them after you prepare the final draft.2)  Try highlighting the points that are pertinent to the above mentioned factors. Try to quantify your accomplishments by adding numbers.3) It's better to have 3-4 resumes, each customized for a particular kind of role you're applying to.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Client is experiencing some problems with its BPO in terms of dissatisfied customers. How would you identify the problems in the call center? Suggest solutions.
This was completely different from all the conventional case studies that you prepare for. Instead of forcefully adjusting the problem within a predetermined framework, it is better to get to the basics of structural problem solving. I reiterated the problem statement, thought for sometime on my approach and then started off with a framework of my own. Fortunately, I was on the right track and could build a valid structure for solving this problem, covering almost all the aspects of the problem.
1) The essence of case study interviews is to showcase your ability of approaching any problem statement (well actually, anything in life!) with a proper structure, complying with MECE (mutually exclusive collectively exhaustive) framework. While it is important to know the profitability frameworks, business situation frameworks, etc., it is also of sheer importance to not forget the basics. You should be able to break down a problem into pieces and deal with each piece separately. And so, PRACTICE!2) It's very important to keep talking while solving a case study so that your interviewer understands your approach and if you get stuck, he might still give you points for your approach.3) All the tips for a case study interview can be found in Victor Cheng's material.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why do you think you're suitable for this profile?
  • Question 2: Case Study and Guesstimate. (Power Generation Sector in India; Estimate the size of turbine industry in India)
  • Question 3: You've demonstrated strong interest in Finance. Why Consulting?
  • Question 4: 3 sectors which, according to you, are going to show high growth rates.
  • Question 5: General HR questions to see a cultural fit.
This long interview with senior executives encompassed almost every question you can be asked for a management consulting profile. 1) The answers to my first question were already prepared.2) The case study and the guesstimate were fairly easy. We were talking about the Power Generation business in India because I had earlier told them that I have been trading in the stock market and had invested a portion of my portfolio in the power generation sector in India. 3) At the time of my interview, I was a CFA Level 2 candidate and had done my internship at Citi and so, I had to convince them about why I wanted to try out consulting. I was already prepared for these question so, this wasn't much an issue.4) I had a good knowledge of the economic conditions in India and so, it was easy to have a discussion over how the country was shaping up in terms of different operating sectors. The newly elected Modi government was the center of the discussion.5) I spend some additional time preparing for HR question because Nomura, being a Japanese firm, focuses on whether the candidate is a good cultural fit or not, more than other firms do.
1) Prepare a draft and write at least 10 general HR questions (find them on the internet) and write answers for them. It is extremely important for you to define yourself and your objectives to exhibit confidence and avoid existential crisis during the interview.2) Be careful about what you speak in the interview because that decides the next question. Faking about anything might cost you much more than the cost of not knowing about that thing in the first place.3) Have strong reasons why you want to join that company and that industry. It's very important for you to be in the right frame of mind before walking through the interview door. Your indecisiveness is a big threat!4) Read Economic Times (or, any business newspaper) for at least 1 month before the interview specially if you're aiming at Banking or Consulting jobs.5) If you're going for a Japanese firm, make sure you showcase the qualities (humility, etc.) they're looking for. Demonstrate your love for Japan!

Learn analytical skills through guesstimates.<br /> Learn Problem solving skills through case studies.<br /> Have good Persuasive Skills, very important for a consultant

• Victor Cheng case book,
Videos
  • Victor Cheng videos,
1) Take the interview preparation very seriously. Practice enough number of case studies. Form case study groups much before the interviews.2) Clear your mind on the day of your interview and focus on things you want to showcase. Emphasize on selling yourself.3) Positive Mental Attitude is much more important than we think it is.

Goldman Sachs analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for ANALYST role at Goldman Sachs
Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview

• Section 1: Written Test: Mathematics, Algorithms and Data Structures, Programming were the major areas and few more subjects.
If you are good at problem solving it's easy to crack the written test.
Subjects better if you prefer to study from standard books and have a clear understanding of concepts.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Questions were from Algorithms and Probability(probability distribution and expectations etc.), mathematical aptitude.
If an interviewer is cool and very much interested to listen to you, then it's all about how easily you make him feel that you are the perfect candidate for them. Goldman Sachs interviewer are very cool and have a very good behavioral attitude. They are very interested to listen to you and at every moment they give you chance to prove yourself. It's up to you how you impress them.
Feel interview like a techie discussion with your friend. Whatever you are thinking about say it loudly so that interviewer can listen what you are thinking. Better if you make it a discussion.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Data Structures and Algorithms, Programming (language C/C++/JAVA, doesn't matter what language u know only they want to know how can u apply your concepts very well)
Interviewer was very cool and very nice person.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Question were related to projects mentioned in my resume. I felt in this round like previous rounds were too impressive that in this round they are likely to hire me.
Interviewer was very cool and very nice person.

Before interview try to get cool. Get yourself away from the crowd, there shouldn't be any worries in your mind related to interview. More important believe on yourself that boosts your confidence.<br /> At the time of interview let the interview know your strength and the area in which you have mastery. Once interviewer gets into your domain then the day is yours.<br /> Note: Have strong faith on your skills. Because if you show your skills, it doesn't matter how worse is your CGPA, they will hire you. A guy with CGPA less than 5.5 can make it possible then why can't you!!<br /> For preparation always try to follow concepts from standard books. Never try to study from local authors.<br /> <br /> Confidence is also a major factor,Strongly Committed to face any kind of challenging problems and able to find some solution out of it. They test your approach of solving a particular question. Generally questions are tough.<br /> Truthfulness: Be honest if you already know the answer for question, do tell them. If you don't know much about some topic let them know because they never want to judge you on what you are not good. They will assess you only in the area you are comfortable with.

• Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen,
  • The Art of Computer Programming by Knuth (Only if you want in depth knowledge else don't try),
Do what you love and Love what you do. That leaves no regrets and doubles your performance. Always be hopeful, never give up. Even if you have less CGPA (even 5.3 has also worked that were mine), be confident to give your best.
On one side Motivation comes from the Package offered by this company: Highest paying company along with Worldquant, Tower Research. I heard being a strats at Goldman Sachs is really tough task since they focus more on mathematical aptitude; probability, P&C etc. That motivates you to give your best efforts to see where do you stand in the world.

Designing algorithms for solving challenging business problems is the job of strats, that's what attracted me more towards this company.
(Round1)Interviewer: Why do you have consistent poor performance; 77%(10th), 67%(12th), 65%(B.E.), 5.3CGPA(M.Tech.)?

Me: I don't study for marks, I study to learn the concepts and have feel of it. If I would have been wrong I wouldn't be here.

(Round3)

Interviewer: Introduce yourself !

(I never tried to prepare for such interview questions but at that instant what came out from my mouth was surprising for me)

Me: Sir, I am Praveen Jharbade, pursuing MTech in CSE from IIT Roorkee and I love numbers. I am a big fan of Srinivasa Ramanujan. If you will give me a series I can tell you the hidden patterns inside that series.

(In the end Interviewer was in doubt if I was inclined towards research or working in Industry)

Interviewer: Where do you want to see yourself in future; going for higher studies or in Industry?(Not exact question. I felt he meant to ask this)

Me: Sir, if I would have told you that I love Cricket you wouldn't ask this question. Sir, I love numbers and in my spare time I used to play with numbers and series.

Finally I would say 3 rounds taken by 3 different interviewer and I can say they are the awesome people and of course genius. I would say it would be my great pleasure to work under their supervision.

Opera Solutions analyst interview

Shubham GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Analyst role at Opera Solutions
Resume Shortlist Test Guesstimate Interview Technical Interview Stress Interview Behavioural Interview HR Interview

There were 3 Job profiles open of opera solutions (Solution Analyst, Analytics Specialist, and Software Engineer). Students are asked to sign just for one profile. There was a test for analytics and software profile and direct interview for solution profile (Consultant profile).
Spend enough time before choosing the profiles. Spoke to senior who had a similar job and figure out your best suitable profile and prepare accordingly.

60 min Minutes
20+5 questions
  • Section 1: Objective
  • Section 2: Subjective
Opera solution conducts workshop for shortlisted candidates. In the workshop, they mostly tell about technical part behind big data management such as Mainframe and Hadoop. After the workshop, the test was conducted. The test had two sections, the first section contains objective questions around 20-25 (I did not remember the exact number). Objective questions were of aptitude type (moderate level of difficulty). The second section contains 5-6 subjective questions, mainly focus on probability again the moderate level of difficulty. 30 students were shortlisted for next round (interview round).
Start preparing as early you can. Practice problem daily does not wait for last few day. The main point of practice is to develop a habit of increasing accuracy and speed which is the crucial points of aptitude test.
For probability practice, there are online website and blogs you can take help from them. I have listed down some which are used. You should have some prior practice before setting for test otherwise, it would be difficult to do well in the test as some questions are tricky and difficult to solve in the first time.
For aptitude practice, you can refer TIME material, I think that is sufficient.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Write a 10 digit largest number with some constraint (I didn’t remember the exact constraint but it’s a standard question)
  • Question 2: Guesstimate the number of viewers to a sports blog
The interviewer first goes through my resume and ask some basic question, not in depth. Then he asked me some puzzle (similar type of question asked in the subjective paper but with a high level of difficulty) and one guesstimate.
My interview last for 10-15 mins, the interviewer is very helpful and always try to calm and comfort me.
The interviewer gave me feedback and point out some area on which I can quickly look it for further interview.
I have assigned a buddy, IIT graduate having the same specialization. (Opera solutions follow buddy program similar of other consultant company). I personally found out buddy program very useful, you should contact your buddy or at least talk to him ones. The information you get from a buddy is very helpful of preparing for an interview. You get some aspect on which domain you need to work.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How to assigning the new task to employees based on their past performance.
  • Question 2: Some Probability problems
Next round was the telephonic interview with a senior analyst. The interviewer asked me some question from my resume especially on the technical project which involves some mathematics tool.
Then he asked some probability problems which are very tough.
The interviewer was interested in your approach only, how you’re tackling the problem. How much wide can you think? The interviewer is also ready to help you and try to figure out your strength. So be calm and speak with confidence.

Stress Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Guesstimate how much a thief, who operate on shopping can earn in a year
  • Question 2: The probability of a car passes the highway in a subset time if the probability of a car passing in one hour given.
The interviewer asked me some question from my resume in depth.
He asked one guesstimate and one probability question.

Behavioural Interview

The interviewer started with questions like why this company, which other companies did I appeared for.
He asked me some quick calculation problems.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Some basic HR questions
Resume: Spend sufficient time on the resume as I was the initial step of shortlisting.

You be able to speak at any point in your resume in detail, hence you must be sure of what you are writing in it.

Puzzle: Practice Daily

Guesstimate: Practice with your sincere friends

DEBOSMITA CHAUDHURIFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ANALYST role at Goldman Sachs
Test Interview Interview Interview

60+60+60 questions
  • Section 1: Mathematics
  • Section 2: Algorithms
  • Section 3: Computer Networks
1. It was 3 hours test with three 'subjective' sections of one hour each.
2. The first section was mathematics, comprising of Probability Statistics and Linear Algebra. Apparently, one of the sum was from one of the previous IMO papers. All the sums were more or less pretty theoretical and high level.
3. The second section was algorithms, which is where I performed best, since I was taking the Data Structures and Algorithms course that semester.
4. The third section was on computer networks which was mainly targeted at the CSE junta and not meant for us.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Resume-based questions
  • Question 2: Intern-based questions
  • Question 3: General questions on courses and my interest in finance
  • Question 4: Why are gold prices increasing and why are US treasury bonds still valuable?
  • Question 5: Discussion about Euro crisis
1. It lasted for 20-30 minutes.
2. This was my first interview of the day. It started off with a discussion of my resume, especially of my work at DB, and the interviewer even told me about how they do something quite similar in their team.
3. He asked me about my courses and my interest in finance.
4. The discussion then moved towards finance and we discussed questions like why are gold prices increasing and why are US treasury bonds still valuable and also about the Euro crisis.
5. I call it a discussion because although it would start off with a question the interviewer would pose for me, very soon it would end up being an interesting discussion with each of us putting in our opinion and views and new facts. It was a very jovial interview.

Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Advanced level questions on C++
  • Question 2: If you are asked to play a game where you toss a fair coin again and again until you get consecutive heads and win Re. 1 or you get consecutive tails and lose and quit, how much will you be willing to pay to play this game?
1. This was supposed to be a more technical interview to test my coding and mathematical skills.
2. The interviewer asked me if I knew C++. I told him that I had done it back in my high school days, so might be a little rusty but will definitely try.
3. He started off with an easy question on derived classes and their objects. Soon the code became more and more complicated, involving abstract classes, virtual functions, copy constructors etc.
4. However, thankfully I was able to answer at every step, sometimes of course with a little nudge from him.
5. Later in second question, he modified the question by making it an unfair coin. He taught me how to draw a state diagram, and using that I was easily able to reach the answer.
6. After this I had left for the BCG ordeal so had been unable to come back for my third interview that they kept calling me for. I finally came back to meet them after giving my 1st round interview at Credit Suisse. I was asked about my job preferences and if I was really interested in joining GS.
7. After I assured them that GS is indeed my dream company they let me know that all of them were pretty impressed with me and in other ways subtly hinted at the good news. When I came out of that room, my prior two interviewers came over to chat with me. We moved into another room and had a long chat about their plans for the India office of GS, the new teams they were planning to build etc. One of them gave me his business card, asking me to give him a call if I had any more questions.

Interview

1. I really wanted to get into Goldman Sachs so I started reading the Financial Express on the side, and practicing probability problems from “50 challenging problems in probability”, a book suggested by one of the alums in investment banking.

2. The preparation for CAT had taken care of my aptitude test preparation so I did not have to worry much about that any longer.

3. I didn't have to worry about Group Discussions because not too many companies open for BSBE conducted GD’s.

4. I had left the last week after my endsems ended and before placements began for the main preparation for HR although I did make a list of questions and jotted down some points for the answers of each of them beforehand.

5. Initially, I would practice around 3 case studies a week, with my batchmates in GH, in a group of 4. We would meet at night whenever possible and each one would solve one case study each while another person posed as the interviewer, usually from the book “Case in Point” but sometimes also from other sources like the IIMA Case Book, the Wharton Business School Case book and the cases that had come in previous years’ problems which we found in SPO’s Case book.

6. In later days, especially during endsems, we took to meeting in mixed random groups among the BCG shortlisted people for similar case practice sessions, and I ended up having done around 20 case studies before placements started.

7. Once the shortlist for Goldman Sachs came out, which was 2 days before the placements, I also read up a little on dynamic programming which I knew nothing about.

8. In the last week before placements I structured my HR answers and learnt by heart the main points so that I don’t miss any when answering, but not the language because I believed spontaneity is a must to excel in HR interviews.

Morgan Stanley analyst interview

Nidhi NairFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at Morgan Stanley
Test Technical Interview Group Activity Technical Interview PRO FIT ROUND HR Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Analysis and Technical Skills
  • Section 2: Coding Round
There was negative marking for these questions (+4 & -1) and the number of questions in the second section were more (10 and 20 respectively, I think).The second part of the test was a Coding Round, online. We were given 3 problem statements to be solved in 45 minutes and the programming languages allowed were C, C++ and Java. However you are required to use the same language for Part 1 (Technical Skills) and Part 2 (Coding Round). So make sure you know any one language in its entirety. I hadn’t touched anything apart from C. The questions were essentially based on data structures.
Word of caution: Be wise in designing your strategy to solve questions, there always IS a sectional cut off and the competition is cutthroat.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: How would you find whether a number is even or odd without using any conditions?
  • Question 2: Implement a dynamic 2D excel sheet using DS (underwent various levels of improvisations)
  • Question 3: A build up that resulted in the concept of using joins in DBMS
  • Question 4: Discussed the concept of virtual memory and paging in OS
-1 was pretty much basic, probably just for them to find out whether you know everything that you claim to know. I was asked questions on the basics of C, Data structure implementation, DBMS AND OS. Sounds daunting, but it really wasn't. My panellists were really cool about giving me all the time in the world to think about my answers, they'd even roll their chairs to the corner of the room and chit chat when I'd ask them to stop looking at me. Not a recommended course of action for you guys, because you might get really badass panellists who might want to take a stress interview and using this would probably get you a ticket to take you directly out of the building. But the point is that you don't need to panic when you're asked a question that you don't understand AT ALL. It is probably just a coating of shiny silver on a very basic problem. ALWAYS remember to restate the question as you understood it to make sure that you're on the right track. If you're right you get a bonus for being able to analyse well. If you're not, they will make you understand and you won't spend 15 minutes of your interview time solving a misinterpreted question.

Group Activity

This is subject to change every year, but for ours we had the one with the Lego toys

This round was perhaps the most difficult of all, with gruelling technical questions that I couldn't make head or tail out of. But they were satisfied with a broad outlook to the number of solutions and the different ways to approach the problem. They asked me a little about how my day had been till then and for improvisations on the answers to the questions I was asked in the previous rounds. I was also asked a question about synchronization that I answered with my knowledge of embedded systems. They were really interested in how I applied unrelated knowledge to solve a problem that I would otherwise not be able to answer. This was the end of TECH-2 which made me believe that I had screwed up entirely and that I was out for sure.

PRO FIT ROUND

I went in to my ProFit round with an "I-should-really-have the-best-time-with-this-thing-since-it-is-all-down-the-drain-anyway" attitude, but really, I think that is just what you're expected to do anyway. :) This ended up being the coolest round of all and I had the time of my life for those 30 minutes. My interviewer asked me ALL the general questions you expect in an HR, and I answered them all very, very truthfully and with really long explanations :P The guy was a veeeeery keen listener and caught on to each and every one of my indications. He let me talk about practically everything, from my very hippie-like outlook of life to the most silly bets I have placed, ever. And the best part was that he was always interested, poker-face like, but always waiting patiently for more exemplifications. Don't bother trying to make up achievements you haven't really made, because they don't care about how accomplished you are, more like how zestful you are, and it probably shows when you're talking about things that you love. Long story short, talk your heart out, they hardly speak in all of those 30 minutes. Let them know that you really ARE passionate about the things that you do.

The next round that I was immediately ushered into was my HR. Now, I probably felt what I did because I had talked a LOT in my previous round, but I really thought this round was predominantly precursory. My interviewer was one of the big shots of the day, but he hardly asked me any questions that could qualify as HR. This person was the only one from all of my interviews who was even remotely rigid, but that too only marginally. He was ultra-friendly again by the end of the interview. This might vary case by case, but he only asked me things like my comfort with relocation and what I aimed to achieve in the next 5 years. At the end of the interview, he kid around a little and escorted me to the waiting room.

HSBC analyst interview

Prateek LadhaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kanpur for ANALYST role at HSBC
Test Group Discussion Technical Interview

• Section 1: Quant
  • Section 2: LR
  • Section 3: Verbal
  • Section 4: Econometrics
  • Section 5: Retail Banking
It was a decent test as normal apti tests but you have to keep little extra knowledge about retail banking and econometrics.
Just practice well for all aptitude test and boost your speed with accuracy.

Leaders are born or made
It was a good discussion but in between there was a chaos as number of people in my group was too big(14) as far as GDs are concerned.But overall it was good and everyone whosoever wanted, had put their points.
Don't fight during GD. Make sure that whenever you get chance you utilize it fully and make a very effective point. Also keep in mind it is a GD so you should be humble to others as well.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: It was HR plus Technical
It was a very weird experience.
After get shortlisted from test late in the night, our GD was early in the morning and then followed by interview. And then something really strange happened.I was waiting for my turn since afternoon and I was the last one to be interviewed. When I was called for my turn, all three panel of interviewers came out of their rooms and they announced the result before taking my interview so it was shocking because as par our campus rule you can not straight away declare the results to candidates before the whole process gets over. It shook me and I was very angry at that time but I kept myself calm and turned that anger into a positive way thanks to my friend who were there with me during that time. All I thought was I will get a chance and now I don't have anything to lose so I have to make a better impact on them than the other guys and convince them to increase their selected candidate list. The interview started with general HR questions, why do you want to join us? Why do you think we should hire you? And then they started asking questions over my project which I mentioned in my resume. After that there were few basic probability questions and some analytical puzzles. And during my interview I said I like to play with numbers so they threw me a multiplication 55555*55555 and it took me around 25-30 seconds to do it so I think that was a really effective part of my interview well at last I got selected in HSBC.
Don't get panic and never lose your calm. Situations can be more worst than what you thought it to be but be confident on yourself. Sooner or later you will be rewarded for your work. Good luck in advance :)

I would say that patience is not a skill but it is as important as any other skill during your interviews. You might encounter some serious situations which might take you on your nerve so be patient.<br /> During your interviews make sure whatever you know you should be able to communicate it well enough otherwise your knowledge is of no use. At the same time ensure that you don't really show off that you know more. If you know more about that problem be humble to the interviewer as discuss or share your thoughts in a very polite manner. And last but not the least is the analytical skills. You might be asked to decode some case or do guesstimates to be prepared for it. Practice it a lot with your friends or else whichever way you like it to be done.

• Case in Point,
  • Last 30 years CAT papers,
Videos
  • Case Study Series by Victor Cheng,
Just be yourself and be confident. Be with those who make you feel comfortable. Keep calm and eventually everything will fall in the right place.
My only motivation was to get a analytical job which I was targeting. And apart from it there was a reason in my life to get this job and do something for someone very special. So, this keeps me motivated even today.
The whole placement process right from companies visiting your campus to giving test and getting shortlisted for the interviews was really stressful but when I look back I cherish all those moments where we all friend sat together abusing some bull shit companies their procedure. How we used to run like a wild animal from one test to another one PPT to another. Those late might discussion talking about our future. Those were the lifetime memories, good or bad, which will stay with us always.

Godd luck again for your placements. :)

Deutsche bank analyst interview

FresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Kharagpur for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
Test networking session mentor interaction Behavorial Interview Technical Interview

Jumbled but can be classified into 3 major categories: Quantitative (CAT level), Data Interpretation and Current Affairs in Finance (e.g. India's GDP, Nifty's Year High level etc.)
1 subjective question (Compulsory) e.g. Identifying most suitable acquisition target for a firm using the information presented in a table. There is no correct answer to such questions.They were interested in the approach the way you justify your answer.
Follow financial media regularly over the Autumn semester (Economic Times, Reuters). Each candidate is given an opportunity to ask questions to the desk Heads. Make sure that you ask relevant questions. You will have many of those as you try to understand the business in detail.Do not spend too much of time on a particular question (this particularly applies to DI questions).
The pattern of the test may vary year to year.CAT preparation helps.

networking session

It was held in Kolkata in early November for shortlisted students. Heads of various desks were present to introduce their business and to answer queries. It is supposed to be non-evaluative. It turned out to be an excellent platform to understand the exact nature of the job.
They had given some GD topics based on latest financial happenings.
It was very informal and the purpose was to emphasize the importance of keeping updated with the news.
Dress well. It is extremely important.

mentor interaction

Every shortlisted student was allotted a mentor for a month post networking session. Mentors typically comprise of KGP alumni currently working with GMC.
Personally, mentor interaction turned out to be very amicable for me. You can get all the queries resolved directly. It helps to seek a feedback on your preparation from the mentor.

Behavorial Interview

Around 15 minutes long. I was quizzed about the resume. Major emphasis was on coursework since ours was only the 2nd batch of MSc Eco. Internships were also covered in detail. This was followed by a few current affairs questions and my intention of joining DB etc,
If you have multiple shortlists, they try to ensure that you are really interested in DB.

This was around 20-25 minute long. It was held by 2 senior managers. For the initial part, it was purely technical. Given my finance background, I was asked questions on binomial option pricing and option trading strategies. Since my MSc project was closely related to one of their desks, major part of the interview involved discussion about the same.
They made us feel very comfortable. Most of us were made spot offers at the end of the interview.Make sure that you are comfortable explaining you internships/projects in a lucid manner. Be sure about your career goals as they are really interested in this particular area.
Be careful while using finance jargon in your answers. This may invite new questions. If you answer them, it reflects extremely well. But the opposite also applies.

Quantitative ability is a must. It supercedes all other parameters (including financial certifications). Above average performance in the written test is a must. For people with no finance background, do practice puzzles from 'Heard on the Street' and 'How to Move Mount Fuji'. Both the books are available on LAN.<br /> Programming skills is NOT a must. However, experience of working with statistical packages and relational databases is a plus. If your resume says that you are proficient in Excel, they may ask you to write macros for simple tasks.<br /> Written test: CAT preparation (even if you are not serious about IIMs )<br /> Current affairs <br /> Interviews: Know your CV well, practice puzzles and brush up your finance fundamentals extremely well if you portray yourself as one with a finance background.

• John Hull,
They do not have a bias towards any particular background as such. However, a few pointers definitely set your resume apart:

1) Decent CGPA (Not a prerequisite though)

2) Projects/internships involving quantitative work

3) Financial Certification like CFA/FRM (The importance is overstated on campus. Clearing the exam is not enough and does not guarantee a place in the shortlist. One has to defend the finance background in a grueling interview. On the contrary, people with no finance background can do well by scoring handsomely in the written test.)

4) Relevant coursework (Finance courses from VGSOM/HSS).

A quality leadership/teamwork experience is a plus. They are interested in the lessons you learnt during your tenure in the position of responsibility you handled.

No specific criteria is used on the projects front. However, internships belonging to one or more of following categories set you apart:

1) Quantitative nature of work (either a research project or industry project)

2) Significant responsibility

3) Strong outcome (Publication, appreciation etc)

Make sure that you can speak at length about your internship experiences.

CapitalOne analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analyst role at CapitalOne
Resume Shortlist Test Case Study Interview Case Study Interview Behavioural Interview

Don’t know clearly what the criteria was but almost everyone with a CPI above 6.5 was shortlisted. Around 270 from whole batch were shortlisted for the next round.
A point worth the mention here is that Cap One offered two profiles exclusively. The other one was data scientist with same package being offered in which lesser number of students sat and no case interview was there on day 0, only final interviews. Good for guys with a hands-on coding experience as competition was very less and they ended up extending offers to 5 students from 24 who appeared in test there compared to 2 in Analyst profile

• Section 1: Data Interpretation
Most important round as highest elimination take place here and also first impression about you is formed whether you will be given any preference in interview slot, forgiven for a tiny bit of mathematical errors during interviews or not.Please practice a lot, as it sounds easier to many but it is not. Everyone around you is of same caliber. CAT aspirants will be direct benefactors here.
Pen and paper based test (Maybe they look at rough work although I didn’t write a single word, just marked the options). A module was given with 30 questions. Calculators are allowed but time crunch is still there. No negative marking though. Better be prepared for it and get a general idea of average profit percentage, CI, SI and INFLATION rate. Many of the questions were based on that which were relatively easy but not everyone was able to comprehend what the actual meaning is.
If you are comfortable through first passage then mostly each of them are related in continuation to it. But don’t waste all the time on a single question. Move on and please tick any of the option if not getting to an answer (No negatives). Try to attempt as many as possible to reduce performance pressure in further round. The better you perform, easier it is to navigate further rounds as they have a mindset of already selecting you. Don’t cheat, H.R. caught someone and believe me it was not pleasant to see a batch mate being yelled at in front of her.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: It was a simple case study concerning micro-finance company in a village with two possible clienteles.
65 students were selected in the analytics profile for a case interview a day before the D-Day. It was simple but I screwed up and did wrong calculations almost three times. He corrected me each time though. There is not too much to explore, they don’t expect you to be sailing through these with knowledge of finance, as they are aware that most of the students have little experience whatsoever. Only Math part is seen and decisions are purely based on Math. Then he talked about my projects and a little about my intern in an algorithmic trading firm. I guess he knew that I had no background in management whatsoever (No PoR and a modest CPI). I was selected anyway for Day 1 interviews among 24 students who steered clear.
Point to be noted – A little imagination on possibilities of exploring business and good conversation skills will help here a lot. Try to convince him that you want to be like a consultant to their clients. Most of the batch mates aiming for Cap One prepared case studies which I apparently did not. I sat their mostly fearing worst outcomes. But my good score in DI test went a long way and helped me a lot.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: One about a telecom company involving broadband plans and some differentiation to get point where maximum profit is obtained. Somewhere down the line he asked me another point where zero profit zero loss condition occurs
They were late by an hour or two (good for everyone, specially in Kanpur which on December 1 is unforgivably cold) which went perfectly with my plan of appearing in GS before.
I don’t remember another one but there was a case interview apart from the one mentioned above. I suggested pretty good alternative business ideas in this one though on his demand of how to maximize profits, capture more market share and expanding the business. He tried to deter me and told me that my calculations were wrong. I knew they weren’t but I cross-checked it anyway and politely refused to admit any at all and said that I beg to differ in this matter. I have to say I was pretty confident securing an offer earlier at GS.
Jot down you points carefully in neat and nice way on the paper provided. Appearing like a professional doesn't hurt anybody. They collect paper afterwards. Also you will asked to draw graphs. So if you write whatever they say, data will be easier to get and previously solved problem's data will help furthermore.
See technical term for it in sample case interview here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cDT5YZQwOs. Take a look at it positively if you want to do well, it will probably help you a lot. The point is be confident, that way you won’t commit any errors.

Behavioural Interview

Raaz DwivediFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test HR Interview Technical Interview

A Good Resume is the one with a clear message in one glance. One usually doesn't have much time go through the specifics. Also, most of the resumes look more or less the same if you start reading thoroughly. So what distinguishes you is how much you can convey to a third person in one glance. However a crucial point that one needs to keep in mind is - The third person may be an IITian or may be not. So your resume needs to be optimally elaborate and detailed. Good at glance and not boring with details.

I screwed up GS's test but I guess my CPI and resume lured them to shortlist me for interview.Various tests aim at identifying different skill sets. And each skill set testing needs different approach and different preparation material and style. Also, not all tests are actually looking for excellent performers. So sometimes you might be surprised to see not so good performers being preferred over the best ones

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Walk me through your resume
  • Question 2: discussion on my CPI, future plans and about work and culture at GS.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Discussion about a course Project related to guaranteed funds.
  • Question 2: How good am I at programming?
  • Question 3: Questions on Fourier Transform and Fixed points.
  • Question 4: Efficient algorithms on calculating Fibonacci’s Sequence.
  • Question 5: Different efficient ways to implement product and summation of n numbers. And limitations
  • Question 6: Find integer solutions of x^y=y^x.
Keep calm during all tests. No need to panic after seeing unfavourable results. It's just the beginning of an entirely new world. For preparation, begin well in advance. Take as light load as possible in your placement semester. Talk to seniors and the placed ones about the preparation style for various skill sets. There are several great books on most of the skill set, and just like JEE if you spend quality time on a book on a particular skill set you are likely to do well.For your core jobs preparation, you need to revise your basic concepts and prepare specifically for various areas that you are mostly interested in. For example, in EE, you can have a look at various job roles - system designing, power systems, device and circuits, communication, computer vision and image processing etc, which companies have come in the past for what kind of roles. And what were there expectations from the candidates.
There are many things that I would like to convey to the students regarding the placement process.On the preparation side, one must give his best - visit websites, read blogs, attend presentations and various related sessions, ask seniors who have been placed, talk to anyone who you think can provide some help. These practices will give you enormous data - and your job is to filter and use it wisely,at your own discretion. Read relevant material from books and internet,practice problems and tests, do mock interviews and GDs with your friends,prepare your resume well - in short – do what is to be done. Depending on jobprofiles that you target, the preparation keeps varying, ask around and workhard.With that being said, I would like to say that placement is not simply aboutmerit - independent of whether you appreciate this fact or not. Variouscompanies value compatibility over the merit of the student (which isquite logical thing to do!) and sometimes you may under-qualify and sometimes over-qualifyon those standards - and rarely will you be just at an optimal level.Consequently, many results(in fact most, to be even more precise all except one)will not go in your favour - either accept them or challenge them (if you thinkyou have been denied of something that you truly deserve) but never loseyour heart - this is simply a welcome song to the real world. In the longrun, this short and (most likely a difficult and) tough experience willprove to be one of the most memorable and a great learning experience.In a nut shell "Keep Calm and Give your Best! - Karm karte raho, fal kichinta mat karo."