Analyst

Analyst Interview Questions and Tips

Raaz DwivediFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for ANALYST role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion HR Interview Summary Puzzle Interview

A Good Resume is the one with a clear message in one glance. One usually doesn't have much time go through the specifics. Also, most of the resumes look more or less the same if you start reading thoroughly. So what distinguishes you is how much you can convey to a third person in one glance. However a crucial point that one needs to keep in mind is - The third person may be an IITian or may be not. So your resume needs to be optimally elaborate and detailed. Good at glance and not boring with details.

Various tests aim at identifying different skill sets. And each skill set testing needs different approach and different preparation material and style. Also, not all tests are actually looking for excellent performers. So sometimes you might be surprised to see not so good performers being preferred over the best ones.
Keep calm during all tests. No need to panic after seeing unfavourable results. It's just the beginning of an entirely new world. For preparation, begin well in advance. Take as light load as possible in your placement semester. Talk to seniors and the placed ones about the preparation style for various skill sets. There are several great books on most of the skill set, and just like JEE if you spend quality time on a book on a particular skill set you are likely to do well.

For your core jobs preparation, you need to revise your basic concepts and prepare specifically for various areas that you are mostly interested in. For example, in EE, you can have a look at various job roles - system designing, power systems, device and circuits, communication, computer vision and image processing etc, which companies have come in the past for what kind of roles. And what were there expectations from the candidates.

I sat for only one GD that was for ITC. I did not prepare at all for it and relied mostly on my speaking cum shouting skills that I developed over the years, thanks to my fundae sessions and most importantly TAship sessions. I enjoyed the GD which was a problem statement on a guy's death with a brief description of the circumstances, and was asked to discuss who was guilty for the guy's death. I enjoyed the discussion, and found the problem pretty exciting, but only to find out later that it was a routine problem for GDs.
My agenda was simple for the GD - I took it as yet another discussion session. Hearing others opinions and pointing out mine. Occasionally I also asked the quite ones to share their views. There are often several tricks that seniors tell the juniors - start early, take the lead, try to summarize, take everyone along etc etc. I like to put it this way - Don't speak non-sense, do speak some sense, let others speak, try to distinguish the sense and the non-sense from others views, and encourage the quite ones to speak a bit in order to have a sensible and wholesome group discussion. If you think you can lead, then lead. If you think you might want others opinions to kick start your thought process, then wait for some points from others. So basically do what seems sensible to you, but do something!

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Walk me through your resume
  • Question 2: Did you prepare for financial job?
  • Question 3: Did you develop some understanding by reading up about finance?
  • Question 4: Tell me about your interests (beyond resume) and skills.
  • Question 5: Why Worldquant?
  • Question 6: Clarification about what CPI stands(Is it the same as Grade Point Average?)
  • Question 7: Interest in further studies
All the questions that I was asked, I have already put up at my blog raazdwivedi.blogspot.in

And I am in no mood to repeat them here by classifying. I would summarize some key points in the tips section.
Before I forget, usually at the end of interviews, the interviewers ask you if you have some questions about them, be prepared with some questions which can be like - what do you usually look for in a good candidate, what is the work culture at the company, the career path of the individual in the company or otherwise etc etc. You can google things, or you can be innovative. Innovation might pay off very well or it may just kill your chances. But that's life - more risk, more reward.

And another point, some of your interviews might be telephonic - in such cases, many more factors come into picture  which might spoil the mood of the interview ( I would let you to think about the possible glitches that you might have because of this technological advancement). But as usual, I would advice you to keep calm and just give your best.

Puzzles Interview: Prepare from the standard blogs and books, like cseblog and heard on the wall street. Ask seniors about the trending books. For the interview, do what is asked of you. Try to solve the problem. If you have already soled the proble, try to outline the steps and the solution, but don't be over or under excited any time. Sometimes the interviewer might be curious about the steps, and about your thought process. He might be looking for how many different ways you can think of attacking the same problem (At times they give a wrong problem just to check that!). However at times, you might not be that lucky and the person in front of you might value only accuracy and speed - that makes the task tougher - you have to be quick and you have to be correct, I would suggest you to trying being accurate, even if the guy in front of you is checking your patience by bugging you about your speed. In all cases, keep your calm.

HR Interview:Technically, I didn't give an HR interview (at least I don't think I gave one!) but standard preparation includes questions of the sort - walk me through your resume, tell me about yourself, tell me about yourself BEYOND the resume (meaning what is not covered in the resume), strengths and weaknesses, your learning experience, capabilities as an individual, team player and team leader, some illustrations of them, why the XYZ role in ABC company probably over DEF company, why not higher education, why a job of this pay scale, your expectations of the firm etc

Case Studies and Guesstimate:The only thing that I can think about such interviews (I had only one and I didn't do very well) - during some stage of preparation preferably 60-70% of it, prepare and discuss in groups, work many problems, and learn from your mistakes. As usual try to value the thought process than the answers only!

Summary

There are many things that I would like to convey to the students regarding the placement process.On the preparation side, one must give his best - visit websites, read blogs, attend presentations and various related sessions, ask seniors who have been placed, talk to anyone who you think can provide some help. These practices will give you enormous data - and your job is to filter and use it wisely, at your own discretion. Read relevant material from books and internet, practice problems and tests, do mock interviews and GDs with your friends, prepare your resume well - in short - do what is to be done. Depending on job pro files that you target, the preparation keeps varying, ask around and work hard.

With that being said, I would like to say that placement is not simply about merit - independent of whether you appreciate this fact or not. Various companies value compatibility over the merit of the student (which is quite logical thing to do!) and sometimes you may under-qualify and sometimes over-qualify on those standards - and rarely will you be just at an optimal level. Consequently, many results(in fact most, to be even more precise all except one) will not go in your favour - either accept them or challenge them (if you think you have been denied of something that you truly deserve) but never lose your heart - this is simply a welcome song to the real world. In the long run, this short and (most likely a difficult and) tough experience will prove to be one of the most memorable and a great learning experience.

In a nut shell "Keep Calm and Give your Best! - Karm karte raho, fal ki chinta mat karo."

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: A question on game theory with no nash equilibrium (the game was not presented in such a manner; I formulated it as 2 by 2 matrix game with 2 players).
  • Question 2: A question on a calculator with 10 functions exp, square, sin, cos, tan and their inverses. Convert 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 to -3.
Prepare from the standard blogs and books, like cseblog and heard on the wall street. Ask seniors about the trending books. For the interview, do what is asked of you. Try to solve the problem. If you have already solved the problem, try to outline the steps and the solution, but don't be over or under excited any time. Sometimes the interviewer might be curious about the steps, and about your thought process. He might be looking for how many different ways you can think of attacking the same problem (At times they give a wrong problem just to check that!). However at times, you might not be that lucky and the person in front of you might value only accuracy and speed - that makes the task tougher - you have to be quick and you have to be correct, I would suggest you to trying being accurate, even if the guy in front of you is checking your patience by bugging you about your speed. In all cases, keep your calm.

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
Test HR Interview

It was DB. They first took PPT in main Audi. Audi was completely filled with students and I was sitting on the last seats still thinking about my GS test. When they told in PPT that they had taken only 8 students last year, it made me realize that out of about 600 students currently present in Audi (I thought 600 was good estimate for students present in Audi),my chances are 0.01 % approx.. It made me shivered and I stopped thinking about anything even the job and became casual. This casualness worked. So, I suggest you to be normal and don’t panic. Because, nervous is going to make your situation only worse. DB took two tests. First test was normal aptitude testing mainly your speed in which I had solved 22 questions out of 25 when people on an average had solved only 14-15 questions and even lesser. Second test was quant based test which had 6 questions-two from probability, two from linear algebra, one from class 12 ( I don't why they gave this question ) and one from algo. Thanks to MIT OCW and Pratik poddar, I did very well in it and solved all of them. Only question which I did wrongly was of class 12 because of overconfidence. After that test, I regained my confidence and did well in all other written tests. Most of these tests were simple aptitude tests but with lesser time. So, you need to have good speed to solve these questions. Finally on announcement of short listing results, I was shortlisted into both of my dream companies even after screwing In GS test. Moreover, I was one of the two guys in whole IITK , who was shortlisted for DB quant profile. It made my day. I talked to our seniors working at both these companies and started preparing for interview.

First one was on the phone by a DB guy on HR interviews. He asked me why not higher studies, why DB, if asked by both GS and DB, which one would you prefer and some others. Believe me if you are having a high CPI, you have to prepare for the question “why not higher research” definitely.

Second was on the skype. He asked me puzzles related to algorithms, probabilities for one and half hour. Again,
thanks to Pratik poddar, Baswana sir and some hints from the interviewer, I did well in it. Whenever you have any problem, do ask for hints to interviewer.
On the D-day, I had been shortlisted into 4 companies in which two were DB and GS– my dream. First one was with DB and I had same interviewer from the skype. As, I had already met him, I became casual with him. He took my interviews for almost two and a half hour. Fortunately, it was my day. I solved all the problems with some hints from him. Then, came HR interview at DB. He asked about my family, parents, relatives, my childhood, my dream and some basic finance questions.Thanks to SPO volunteer Saurav at DB (something happened which you need not know), I was called. I went there leaving my 3rd round of GS. Again, DB guys asked me few questions on exchange rate which I answered perfectly. Finally, they offered me the job. To be frank, I wanted DB job more than GS, but seniors suggested me to go to 3rd round of GS too. When I went there for my 3rd round, I don't know why but they asked me to leave. Anyway I was happy as I had gotten job in one of my dream companies .

Before starting, I want to clarify that this feedback is only an indicator of things which I believe about<br /> placements and have tried to do during placement session. It has helped me but you should choose it only if you feel that it is going to help you too. You can include stuff like how did you narrow down to your career plans, the sectors which you were targeting and the rationale behind choosing them, difference between your expectations from the placement process and what you encountered finally, what you did to prepare, what you missed out on, what you think should be done, about the tests and GDs that the companies took, your thoughts before the final placements, about CAT, GRE, GMAT etc. and other fun stuff.<br /> 1. Making Resume:<br /> Your resume is, if not the most then, definitely one of the most important things to decide your future career. It doesn't only help companies to shortlist you but also help you to decide your future path, inpreparation of HR interviews and knowing you better. If you have made your resume correctly, then itclears most of the doubts related to your carrier like whether you are made for job or research, if job thenfinance, consulting or core and if research, then which field. So, do devote a lot of time in making your resume. Proper way to make a good master resume is sit down alone for few hours, try to recall all the big,good or small (believe me even a small achievement can help you to get a good job or university as it hashappened in my case in getting into Deutsche Bank) achievements of yourself and make a list of all thosethings in good words. Show this resume to your friends, seniors and incorporate their feedbacks. Give thisiteration for at least 3-4 times. If your master resume is made perfectly, then making the resume for company specific is very easy. Oneimportant thing which you should note is if you feel that you resume is overqualified for a company; try tocut a few points from your resume. I have seen that few of my friends have put the same resumes for companies of the first day to last day and even when they were selected for the first day company, theyweren't even shortlisted for the 3rd or 4th day companies as companies felt that they were overqualified.<br /> Please try to avoid this mistake. <br /> <br /> 2. Attending PPTs:<br /> Attending PPTs and workshops of companies help you make a decision about selecting the companies inwhich you want to go. Do attend PPTs of companies about which you have no idea or the companies you are aiming. As, in my case, attending PPTs helped me to reject few companies which I was aiming. Try to be attentive during PPTs and do take notes of some special characteristics of a particular company (likestructure, compensation, work, seniors present in that company) as it will help you in some HR questionslike why this company, why not others, where do you see yourself in this company after five years and itwill also reflect your interest in the company to interviewer.<br /> <br /> 3. Selecting sectors or companies:<br /> Your resume, work of a company and your interests help you decide the companies which you dream of and the companies which you feel that you are sure to get into. Try to make two list-first -of your dreamcompanies and second-of companies which you think you have a chance given your profile, your CPI, yourextra-currics, internships etc.. People generally try to prepare for their dream companies and not for otherlist of themselves. So, what happens is that if you are not getting into your dream company (Your dreamcompany in most of the cases is going to be dream of about 80% of batch of IITK), you have also reducedthe chance of getting into a company of your second list as you haven't prepared for that. Also, prepare for the worst. If you aren't getting into any company of both the list (which generally won’t happen ), thenwhat next (CAT, MS/PhD, IES, IAS or opening your band etc.).In my case, it was clear to me that my dream job was getting into DB quant or GS. On rejection, try for IBM,Adobe, Qualcomm, Intel ( as a wireless and signal processing engineer, you don't have much choice even in core), Erricson. On rejection even in these companies, try for MS or PhD in any university. <br /> <br /> 4. Talking to your seniors:<br /> It is one of the sections in which IIT Kanpur lacks from other IITs. Try to contact seniors of the companies of your lists. Show them your resume, ask them how to prepare for the company, ask whether you are suitable for the job. They have experience of the company as you and also as an insider in the company and in some cases, they may recommend you for the job. <br /> <br /> 5. Written test:<br /> Believe me even if you don't have good extra currics or a good CPI, even if you have done well in writtentests of companies, you will be in the race of your dream company. This is one of the areas in which IITKanpur always lacks. I have seen few of my batch mates having higher CPI, good internships, good extra currics but couldn't make into even shortlist because of written tests. Do prepare for it seriously. Even if you aren’t preparing for the CAT exams, try to practice time or CL’s study materials, most importantly of Probability, Permutations and DI section. Some companies put direct questions from previous CAT exams. Remember one thing that most of the times, it isn’t test of knowledge but of speed. Speed will come only on practice, not by only knowing things. Also, some consulting companies ask questions related to English Grammar, Vocabulary, so take a look at this section too from CAT study materials, if you feel that your English is weak. <br /> <br /> 6. Quant and Core Preparation:<br /> If you are looking for quant companies, then you also need to revise your basic maths (like linear algebra,probability, some common distributions like uniform, normal, binomial), basic data structures and algorithms from DS and some puzzles from different websites and books (like of Pratik poddar, 40 puzzlesin probability, CMU toad). If you aren’t finding good study materials for maths or algorithms, use MIT OCW(it has helped me a lot). Make sure that you understand the basic concepts behind these things because they may ask any type of questions related to these topics and you will be answer only if you know theconcepts. For core companies, you need to revise some of basic core courses. For EE guys, if you are looking for VLSI, brush up EE 370 (most imp.) and EE 210. If you are looking for signal processing/communication profile, brush up basic DSP and communication concepts. Some questions were also asked from Kalman filter and wavelet transforms which I had no clue. So,be prepared for surprises. Also brush up C coding and basic data structures as it is generally asked in most of the EE core companies. Do note that you need to prepare seriously for your core companies too as after the interviews of first and second day’s companies and their rejection, you don’t have both time and mind to prepare for them. Finally note that these tests are not tough. These are the students who make it tough. So, never panic in the tests and try to give your 100%.<br /> <br /> 7. HR interview:<br /> After being shortlisted into a company, Do not take HR questions lightly. You should prepare for somequestions like tell me about yourself, why this, three strengths and weaknesses. Practice these questionswith your wing mates and try to make proper eye contact while answering these questions.
Overall I can say that you must hope for the best and prepare for the worst. So make sure that you are prepared on all counts. You never know what might go wrong (I have taken it from Abhinav Jain) and do try to make every single event of placement favorable to you. Who knows which event is going to make your day. In case, you have any query related to DB or quant profile, you can ask Saurav Yashaswee, Y8 batch of Maths Dept.. He helped me a lot during preparation and undoubtedly, is one of the best persons to ask questions on quant profile and DB, who is going to be present in the campus during your placement session. In any case, you can contact me on facebook.

Goldman Sachs analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analyst role at Goldman Sachs
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview Technical Interview HR Interview

They shortlist around 300 resume from whole batch for next round.
Basically add your projects related to Machine Learning and coursework related to Math. GS is one of the companies which reviews resume carefully (At least I think so :P), reason being me selected even after a low CPI. Around 250 to 300 students were shortlisted from resume for second round.
GS is one of the rarest firms that will go through your resume thoroughly. Most important part is that GS is a firm you want to go for if you have a modest CPI and are genuinely interested in global markets.
They hire for Strats and Quants division. So highlight projects related to Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Techniques. Mathematical coursework and internship in related field could be elaborated too. Even students with no internship experience whatsoever were selected due to their background in Machine Learning related coursework.
I have a little or no idea about programming division as it revolves around networking and related projects.

• Section 1: Programming Related Questions
  • Section 2: Quant
  • Section 3: Data Sciences
They started hosting test online on hackerrank. It includes three sections with equal weightage to each of them. You have 45 minutes for individual sections. There are three type of questions asked - MCQ (+10, -3), Fill in the blanks (Numbers upto 2 decimal places; +10, -0) and 2 coding questions in programming section (+20, -0).
Programming - 2 coding questions. Questions about networking, cache and DSA (postfix and prefix expression from stack related algorithms).
Quant - Cattle grazing the circular field tied from a pole at the corner of a rectangular shade with a rope. Some about practical probability problem of die throws. Other about matrices and determinant. Theoretical questions in probability covers a major portion in form of expected value, correlation and covariance calculations. This section had some integer type questions.
Data Sciences - MLT theory should be a stronghold. Particularly confusing theoretical questions. Some of them had 4 statements and then 4 options asking correct statements so you have to be good at multiple topics. Typical question include possible solution to account for missing input data and regularization among others.
You have to be good at any two of the sections. Quant is quite competitive as the questions are easier and CSE guys can attempt these too from mathematical coursework on prob and stats. Typically whole batch is rooting for this profile because of lesser chance in CS related profile.
A little brushing up old DS notes won't hurt anyone. Specially tree, graphs (algorithms like Bellman Ford, Djikstra and Prim's algo), complexity of standard algorithms and postfix, prefix expression derivation will help a long way. Coding questions demand efficient solution, otherwise you won't be able to clear all test cases because of TLE.
For quant, Prob Stats and Linear Algebra course review is highly recommended. A little aptitude (CAT related although a lot higher standard than that) will help too.
In data sciences, ML lectures will help a lot as most part is theoretical which can be solved if you have your concepts strong. Gaussian distribution, Regularizer, PCA are some of the topics which were asked about.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Given coordinates of some points, find a figure that encompasses all of the points. The figure should have the least possible area and be formed by joining points using straight lines. Convex Hull.
  • Question 2: Good old standard problem: Playing number game with your friend to select any of the number between 1 to 3. Whoever reaches 20 first, wins. You have to tell the strategy to win the game. Basically, you start with your position at 20 and recursively think the problem to ensure that you end up at 16 (problem specific) before so that your friend ends up at any number between 17 to 19 and so on solve for 16.
At first I couldn’t answer the convex hull related problem. 6:00 am and you are asking me convex optimization, you must be kidding, right!!! (although it is a standard problem which I came to know about a little later in canteen with my friends who told me that it was so easy and I had to tell that hell yeah! I passed it with flying colors 😛). Then he reverted back to a simpler problem, which I answered. He then reverted back to first problem which by then I was able to answer.
Here comes the loads of interviews at 6:00 am. Around 5 to 6 interviews if you get lucky. Although lesser number doesn’t mean you are rejected. They try to find the best fit department for you. Be punctual guys. Believe me they are there on time. And get a good night’s sleep. I tried to sit in as many companies as possible. I had a test up till 2:00 am that night. I was sleepy head all the time (they were considerate and sympathized with me, worked in a positive way for telling hard working attitude) as I couldn’t get proper sleep and had to wake up at 5:35 am (1st December chills of Kanpur) to check interview schedule and rush to venue meanwhile tying knots and combing hair, putting some deodorant and assuring my mom that I have woken up and trying not to fake it at all.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 2nd interviewer asked me a question on calculating variance, about gaussian distribution and something about my internship.
They won’t let me go for other companies in between which is a good sign for anyone if they are calling you back again. If not, don’t sit there, try somewhere else because they won’t tell you till end to leave. If you really want to get an interview, try to get in touch with organizer guy from company’s side.
As mentioned earlier, brush up the concepts from probability. Be well versed with your resume. It is important that you not fake it as they will see through it anyway (possibly 😛).

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 3rd were these really cool dudes who started of with a matrix problem where each element was sum of row^2 and e^column. Now I had to prove something about equality of sum of elements that I don’t clearly remember but ultimately he would drive the result to generalization of function of row and column numbers.
  • Question 2: The other one asked me a puzzle about two carts placed on a track with sensor below them. You can start cart with specific speed but afterwards you can control the motion only when cart passes sensor and when it leaves again you have no control over cart whatsoever. How to cause a collision between the two of them?
They were quite helpful as I couldn’t quite articulate the problem properly. They helped me to get a hang of otherwise very simple problem (Talk to them all the time, they help you out a lot). They showed quite an interest in my low CPI (Prepare good and “genuine” reasons for it, they come really handy).
Just go with the flow. If you happen to like their style act like you belong with them. Ask questions about their work and their division in company. Are they enjoying their work? What are the qualities they look for in potential candidates?

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: 4th interviewers were really senior. They asked me about general stuff like my interns and interests. Then they asked me about Yelp dataset challenge and NLP featured in my AI project.
  • Question 2: They also asked some basic questions about libraries featured in Scikit (Python Library on Machine Learning Techniques)
  • Question 3: Finally they asked me about flash crash in stock market related to another project in intern.
I had quite a good conversation with them as they seemed pretty convinced that I was interested in GS. They were quite fascinated by my “Interest” in finance and “Global Markets” 😛 (Please don’t fake it, instead try to make a habit out of it, works like a charm in every interview if you get good at it).
Go through your internship work and projects step by step carefully. Recall each stuff like library specifically. This is not necessary but will imprint a positive impression in the mind of interviewers.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Row sorted and column sorted matrix problem of finding an element.
Then came a senior from my department who was in my hall too, working at GS. He asked me if I had any interest left in Electrical (Apparently that was my department for the whole time which had no role whatsoever this whole time, even in eligibility where it was open for all). He was really cool and talking to me in campus lingo. After that he asked me a question in data structures to which I knew best approach but I chose to start from higher complexity. Then “clicked” the lower complexity solution which was not right. Finally I came to an approach using tree which was not the solution he wanted but he couldn’t find flaw in my solution.
Revise queue, stacks, tree and graphs from DS and look for standard interview problems from gfg.
Starting from highest complexity then lower and then lower. I told him all possible solution except the lowest complexity in which I demanded some hint because I “couldn’t think of any possible solution”. He helped me out and finally I told the solution starting from bottom left instead of top right (Acting recommended only for experts, don’t try if you are not 100% sure that you can fake it 😛).

Bonus Round.
Told me that they were "interested" in my application, impressed by my performance so far and would like to "meet" me soon.
Don't know what to say. Appeared to him and gave him an "honest" answer if I am going to appear for other interviews at Cap One (Analyst), J.P. Morgan (Quantitative Analyst) and Headout (Software Engineer).

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analyst role at Deutsche bank
Resume Shortlist Technical Interview Other Interview

This year we had a resume based shortlisting across all IITs. There were around 35 students who were shortlisted form IITK. But, most probably DB would be continuing with its aptitude test based shortlisting, like the previous years (they ask around 25 aptitude questions, and 1 essay on some current topic).
DB resorts to resume based shortlisting again, they give a tremendous weight age to your CPI , any background in finance (intern in financial firms or on some related topic, so you see a lot of ECO and Maths Students being shortlisted.) Also, they look at the overall profile as well, but the above 2 factors were the most important this year. A comprehensive study of any of the CAT Maths material of CL or Time will suffice your preparations : focus more on how fast you can solve a problem.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Put in +,-,*,/ between the digits 3,3,8,8 (in any order ) such that the result was 24
  • Question 2: If an ant had to travel along the walls, what is the minimum distance between the opposite ends of a cuboid?
  • Question 3: Why do you wish to work in the finance sector?
  • Question 4: Why Deutsche Bank?
  • Question 5: Why should we hire you?
  • Question 6: What is your biggest repent and failure in IIT Kanpur?
  • Question 7: What has been the best moment of yours in IITK?
1.This was a mixed interview of both HR and Technical.
2. It lasted for 30 minutes. I entered the room and was greeted by 3 people, shook my hands with all of them.
3. They asked me if I was hungry or not, I told them that I was thirsty rather and they offered me a Tropicana. (The reason I am citing this is, after my selection, in the night Mr. Nishant told me that this had set up the tone in the room, because the earlier 4 candidates whom they interviewed were too shy and refused to have anything, they judged it as my confidence rather, though it was never an intended one).
4. I was asked about how many companies I was interviewing in slot 1, and they seemed to be impressed on hearing the number 7.
5. They asked me what my preference order was, and I told them the truth that I would definitely interview with DB, Credit Suisse and Worldquant, and if time permits maybe with BCG or Opera.
6. Then they asked me to give a brief introduction, and asked me to stop when I was talking about my intern at Morgan Stanley and the paper I published over there. Mr. Nishant asked me if I was offered a PPO by them, and I told them the truth about my mentor not finding any position for me. He gave a sarcastic remark at MS, that going by the markets, its evident that they are not in a good shape now, and all I did was smile.
7. I was asked that if I got an offer from Morgan in my 8th sem, would I go. I told them, that if I got into DB/WQ/Credit Suisse/BCG , then definitely no, o/w yes. The reason I cited was that, inspite of all the money, I had to go through the entire placement procedure which in itself was a big pain, then an offer after that doesn’t help, they could have given it earlier. All three of them laughed and I seemed to have convinced them. I was asked to explain my work there, which I did pretty well.
8. I was also asked if I sat for DB during the intern procedure and I again told them the truth, as I have written earlier.
They weren’t judging me on finance or quant, because of my CPI and previous background as an intern. A lot of people were grilled on these though, if they said they were interested in these and all. They were trying to have a conversation with me, and testing my confidence, and when I came out of the room, I knew I had done well.

Other Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Explain about your intern paper?
  • Question 2: Rank the Bonds, CDS and Loans in order of the interest rates they offered?
  • Question 3: Tell about three important things that were currently happening in the world of Business
  • Question 4: Explain Fiscal Cliff, Euro-Debt Crisis and the Palestine war
1. It was the second technical interview and the panel was of Mr. Vikram Khanderia (Business Head) and a senior person from algo- trading. It lasted for 20 minutes.
2. I entered the room, greeted them and was asked to describe myself in one minute.
3. I did that pretty well as I thought. Mr. Vikram asked me to explain my paper in Morgan Stanley to the two of them, I took a pen and paper and tried explaining them the whole of it. I actually did pretty bad (I had explained this to others quite well earlier, maybe I became a bit nervous.) They didn’t get the full essence of the work, though understood that it was very valuable to the firm.
4. Then I was asked a very trivial question as to rank the Bonds, CDS and Loans in order of the interest rates they offered, and give an explanation on the same. (I had worked on these instruments during my intern, so was asked this). I knew the order and told them that, but struggled for around 5 minutes with the answer. Then they told me the reason for it, and I was just repenting the way my interview was proceeding.
5. Then Mr. Vikram asked me to tell three important things that were currently happening in the world of Business. (I never used to read ET, but read it the previous day). Told them, that Cinemax had just acquired PVR , and as soon as I told it, he just stood up and lashed at me that how could a small Indian company acquisition affect Wall Street. I then understand what a mockery I had made (and was mentally prepared for the Credit Suisse interview after this, because I was sure to be kicked out from here.)
6. Continuing, he wrote three things on paper : Fiscal Cliff, Euro-Debt Crisis and the Palestine war and asked to me explain all of them. I knew the 1st two very well, and started. Though I wasn’t very convincing because I had become a bit tensed, but still I told all that I knew about them in any order though not very confidently. I was asked some counter questions, which I answered and a small discussion followed as to how could the war affect the oil prices in India and gave some logical explanation.
7. Then, the other person took a piece of paper and told that If he folded it 100 times , what would be its total width, if the width of one side is 1 unit.
8. I found it out and told the answer was 2100 . He asked me to calculate it, and I still can’t believe I told them it was 1024 (210 ) * 1024, and then he asked me re calculate it. I immediately realized what a fool I was making of myself, and told it was 1024* multiplied 10 times ~ 1030. (which was right :P). I was asked to leave.
9. I came out and told the volunteers that I had messed it up and there was no chance I would get selected. So I was going for the CS interview. I was asked to wait for a minute and then the volunteers entered the room and after a minute asked me to go and meet Mr. Vikram.
10. He asked me what my concern was, I told him that I was sorry to have messed his round after such an awesome round 1 and that I won’t get selected. He gave me a smile and said that they had really liked me. I asked them if I would get an offer, because it would be my dream come true so early in the morning, He told me that there were SPO clauses that he couldn’t tell me, but ‘You are intelligent enough to understand. If I were you, I would put my suit off and go out for a drink :P’ ). I was overwhelmed, had a firm handshake with the both of them , and there it was at 9.50 AM. in the morning.
I have watched this year’s placement process very closely and would like to point out a few things to the readers, which are very important.

1. Be Realistic : This is perhaps one of the most important factors in the placements. I have seen so many people expect so much from them and when they don’t get shortlisted somewhere, it’s the end of the world for them. You must understand that there are certain limitations on you because of your CV till date (however intellectual or Bakait you might me). The key to this is be realistic, like Being a person from MME or BSBE, its actually difficult for you to crack a quant firm like Goldman/Morgan because of your curriculum here (however good you might be at Algos or Maths), the good thing is to accept it. Not having tremendous peaks in your resume will in not place you among the 20 shortlisted in BCG for instance. So, on a very serious note, everyone knows inside out what he/she is capable of, so please be realistic in your ambitions and try to excel in the options you have. Believe me, the goals may not be sky-high, but definitely are achievable.

2. Resume : Over the years, all the firms tell us that IITB/D resumes are well made than IITK ones. Get some of the resumes from your friends over there, ask some of your IITK seniors for their resume, SPO is always there to help you out. But Please denote at least 2 weeks in preparing your master resume and sub-resumes for every company.

3. PPTs : Try and attend the PPTs of the companies. You can actually get to know a lot about the work culture there and what is expected of you in your initial years. It will help you decide if this is actually the thing for you or not.

4. Don’t Speculate : During October-Nov. , most of the students actually waste a lot of efforts in just speculating ‘Yaar yeh company toh ise le hi legi’. Believe me , it happens a lot, confuses you and wastes a lot of your time (especially if you are a 4 Year student.)

5. DPC : Please form a good DPC at least for your own sake. Yes maybe the post might not be of value, but a hard working student can make a lot of difference to his department placements. You cannot expect the OPCs to call in every company of your department.

Deutsche bank analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for ANALYST role at Deutsche bank
Resume Shortlist Test Technical Interview HR Interview

First, I had a look at loads and loads of ‘good’ people’s resumes, which left me feeling very inferior. Then I looked some ‘not-so-great’ people’s resumes who landed up with good jobs nevertheless, which gave me hope. I prepared a rough draft (which eventually had no relation/similarity to the final resume) which was sent to infinite people for an honest critique, and an honest appraisal I received which shook me to the core. Tips from order (chronologically or in order of importance?) to which stuff to include and NOT include were garnered. I never found the need to look at resume-writing material, with one workshop organized by McKinsey and other people’s resumes being enough
Pre-placement talks are greatly under appreciated by students, with the focus being the pizzas most of the times. Yes, the pizza is important, but it helps if you pay attention first to what the company people say (and not just the compensation package). I had an ambitious resolution to note down all the biggie companies’ good points with things said and qualities expected and such stuff- needless to say, this resolution fell flat on it’s face midway through PPT season. However, if not anything else, the PPTs were a great source for picking up the jargon for preparing in the final days. And asking questions after the PPT is over by sacrificing a pizza can be beneficial too, especially if you are targeting a particular company/type of company. (Note- As luck would have it, the company i got recruited by was the single company who's PPT i DID NOT attend, with me having to rely on second-hand information. So you decide). As for actually choosing the job, I had full (maybe a bit too much?) faith in the placement body’s infinite wisdom for deciding the order of companies invited for placements. I had consultancy and finance as my two preferred options, for which I talked to loads of seniors, relatives and family friends. It is important to know what you want to do, or at least what you don’t want to do (in my case, a coding/tech job was out of the question), because this is often asked during your interview. And the long discussions I had, although sometimes leaving me in a more confused state than before, helped me eventually.

Deutsche Bank took a written test as Round 1 for elimination. This was followed by a shortlist of 92 people, who had to sit for a Tech interview. ~80% of these people went ahead to give an HR interview, with 22 people being offered jobs eventually. The written test had 3 parts- The 1st part was a proper CAT-style test which focused on quantitative abilities. Most of the questions were those we already encounter, and almost everyone who got through scored really well in this section. The 2nd part had a few questions on general market awareness, like 'Who has the highest market cap' or 'what's the current oil price per barrel'. The 3rd part was finance-based, with questions on inflation, coupon rates, options, futures, currency conversions etc.

The first 'Tech' interview started off with a fairly non-tech question- 'Give us 3 reasons why we should hire you.' Then, they went on to questions on quick arithmetic (what's 58 x 62?), probability (how do i divide 50R and 50W balls into two identical containers so that if i pick a ball from a random container, the probability of picking a W ball is maximum?) and finance (what are options? what is strike price? what is a premium?). They asked me whether I had any other nonacademic courses I had done in my stay in IIT which I liked, which was where the Literature and Economic Reforms courses from past semesters came in handy. The interviews for different people were very different, with some people getting deep into finance or economics, some concentrating more on things like market awareness, stocks, shares etc and some having to survive stress interviews.
First, there's a test to crack, which requires a good quantitative base. This is where CAT preparation helps a lot. There are general awareness questions which depend more on, well, the student's general awareness. The finance section is typically unworkable- it helps if you can write down out there whatever you know however wrong it might be, because those guys simply want to know how much you know, even if it might be slightly irrelevant to the question asked :P Then, there is the tech interview. Now many people (including the company people during the PPT) will tell you 'It's ok if you don't have finance fundaes', but they sing a totally different tune during the actual interview. And honestly this makes sense- if you want to get hired by a finance company, the least you can do is read up some basic finance stuff, instead of sitting there and saying 'I have zot finance knowledge, hire me.' There was a Derivatives workshop organized by Lehman Brothers which, although not being too helpful, at least introduced me to the jargon. Then some quickie wiki sufficed to increase my fin-gyaan. And it always helps if you start off with a 'I know very little of finance, but what i know i know it well' kind of a statement :)

The second HR interview was a pretty cool one, starting off with the standard question 'Tell me something about yourself' to things like hobbies and non-academic stuff done in IIT life and elsewhere. Questions like these present a nice opportunity to the interviewee to lead the interview as and how he/she likes. I mentioned my passion for international football, from where we embarked on a long discussion on which club i like, which are my favorite players, why, etc. I was asked what are the parameters i give importance to in selecting a job. I was asked whether have prepared for CAT, what scores am I expecting, what do I wish to do in the next 2/3/5/10 years, what do I expect from this job, etc. There were two people conducting the interview, with one fellow asking most of the questions. I addressed the second person with a 'don't you have anything to ask?' to which she asked me 'tell me five people you would love to invite for a DB sponsored dinner'. A creative, tongue-in-cheek, honest and somewhat humorous answer got me through it. They then asked me - 'Do you have any questions for us?' where i got cleared a few doubts about the quality of work, the training and future growth opportunities as an employee of Deutsch Bank. The tests took ~45 minutes to finish, and each interview was for around 20 minutes or so.
The most important thing I did was sit down with 2 other friends and conduct mock-stress-HR interviews of each other. This thing helped me greatly, primarily because I treated it with proper seriousness. Many things come to light if your friend’s are forthright and frank, because this is the place where you can go wrong as much as you want without severe repercussions (This mock interview especially helped a friend of mine when we asked him questions which seemed off-tangent but ended up being asked in his actual interview!). Also what proved to be extremely helpful was a long and intensive Wikipedia session, where I sat down with a friend and wiki-ed for each and every word mentioned in the job description document supplied by the company along with the JAF.
For most companies, your resume is all they will know about you, so make sure you know properly what you have written in the resume, where it is and how many points. This prevents you from being surprised when the interviewer refers to stuff which, let's just say, has been made to look bigger and better than it actually is. Bluffing in resumes or during the interview is of no use, people can catch these things very easily. Instead, it helps if you can make things appear a wee bit fancier than they are, as long as you can pull them off. The interviewer is god. Treat him/her with respect and argue decently without getting dirty, however irrational things might sometime seem. An honest 'I don't know' is better than some contrived bluff, as long as the 'I-don't-knows' are rare. Impromptu interviews seldom go well. Some preparation is always essential. Prepare for HR questions, and don't be surprised if you are asked a lot of Department-specific questions. A knowledge of what the company does is important, as also is knowing what the job profile being offered does and doesn't include :) Vis., dressing, étiquettes, coffee etc Dress well, first impressions are important. Don't wear a suit if you aren't sure you'll be comfortable (i wasn't), a tie

works just fine. But informal clothing is a no-no. Have a bath and a shave (for boys mainly). Have a folder containing some spare sheets and copies of your resume. Have a decent, working pen. Avoid plastic bags or similar things which make irritating noises. And don't get too frazzled by questions asked to other candidates. Make eye-contact (but don't try to play mindgames) with the interviewer while talking. And smile, enjoy the interview, or at least give the impression that you are having a good time :)

Credit Suisse analyst interview

AnonymousFresherNot Selected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus for ANALYST role at Credit Suisse
Resume Shortlist Group Discussion Technical Interview HR Interview

The company followed a resume based shortlisting and as far as I remember, the criteria they followed was to shortlist everybody with a CPI of > 8.5 . Also, they had shortlisted some candidates based on any background in finance (intern/projects). Many Maths and Economics students were shortlisted for this reason. (This was their first time in IIT Kanpur. So, I won’t be surprised if they vary their shortlisting methods).

Hangman’s Justice : Is it fair?
1. There were 14 people in total and 5 were selected from my group.
2. Evident from the number 14, the size of the discussion was too huge. It was going too haywire and some really good ELS people were a part of the discussion.
3. The only reason I got selected was maybe because I was the only person who was stating points in favor of Capital Punishment whereas everyone else was against it or maybe because of my resume.
(A thing to point out is that there were only 2 GDs and many people were stuck in some other companies. So, later many shortlisted people (who missed the GD) approached the Credit Suisse HR with the resumes, and were allowed to appear for the interviews.)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Introduce yourself?
  • Question 2: Intern-based questions
  • Question 3: Draw the payoff curves of a Call Option and Put Option
  • Question 4: Simple questions on arbitrage opportunities in Futures and Options
1. Panel was of 2 Senior managers from Prime Services, Mumbai and lasted for 25 minutes.
2. It was my first proper finance interview of the day, and was a bit nervous. Entered the room, was greeted by 2 young people who introduced themselves and started with ‘Is Kanpur always so cold ? ’. They made me comfortable by asking about the campus and stuff, and then asked me to introduce myself.
3. At the end of the description, I was asked about Antaragni, how big it is and where it stands next to Moodi (they were IITB alums you see).
4. Then they asked me to describe my work at Morgan Stanley in detail. The good thing was that one of them was from Credits (deals with credit instruments – CDS, Bonds), which was exactly my group in MS. So, I could easily get into the technicalities of my paper, and they really seemed impressed and asked more and more.
5. This went on for around 15 minutes. After this one saw one of them whispering in the other person’s ear (and I understood that they are strongly in for me ).
6. I was asked which companies I was interviewing with and what my preference was, and I seemed to convince them about my interest in Credit Suisse citing it was the second company I was interviewing with in the day :P.
7. Finally they asked me if I have any knowledge in finance, which was an obvious yes, they asked me to draw the payoff curves of a Call Option and Put Option (which was cakewalk for anybody who has read the first few chapters of Hull).
8. I was then asked a few simple questions on arbitrage opportunities in Futures and Options, which I successfully answered.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: If there was a hole of dimension x on a beach, how much sand does it contain?
  • Question 2: If there were 5 people sitting in a room and each thinks of some number, how could they find the average without telling each other the explicit numbers?
  • Question 3: Find the expected number of coin tosses to get 3 consecutive heads?
  • Question 4: Estimate the number of street lamps in Kanpur?
1. The panel was of 1 Manager from London office, 1 equities lady and 1 Head from Mumbai and lasted for 45 minutes.
2. Before entering, the HR seemed pissed off with me because I told them earlier that I would be back around 9.30 A.M. Citing several lame excuses like the companies did not let me go and pleading guilty, I entered the room.
3. Was greeted by three people who sat far apart, and they asked me to introduce myself. I started, was confused whom to look at (remember they were far apart :p), and started about myself.
4. They asked me about my internship at Morgan Stanley, was asked about my paper, but they didn’t want me to get into technical details.
5. After a brief description, suddenly the person from London started firing puzzles at me.
6. Then the lady asked me to estimate the number of street lamps in Kanpur. I started with the road length and some other statistics of Kanpur and classifies the roads based on : highways/main roads/lane roads and dusty roads, and assumed street lamps at different intervals for all of them, and then satisfactorily came to a result.
7. They guided me all through, whenever I asked them if this assumption was right or not. Then when I thought the interview had ended, the London guy through a peace of folded paper at me and told that I was a marketing person, and was supposed to sell this to them. (I thought where had I landed into :P ) .
8. I started off telling that the paper was special and had no creases on them, in-spite of how much you fold them. I was asked to think of something more innovative, and then I told them that the paper could be recycled over and over again and it was something that a pulp manufacturing company in U.S. had patented, and I had brought it specially for them.
9. After a bit more persuasions, this seemed conclusive and they moved on.
10. I was then asked to make a choice between Credit Suisse and DB then and there. (They somehow had come to know that I already had an offer from DB ).
11. I tried convincing them on why I wanted to join Credit Suisse, making an emphasis on their campus ppt, which was easily the best after the Goldman Sachs one. The discussion went on into different aspects from why I chose IITK over IITB and then if I had an offer from the top 5 Wall Street Banks, which one would I choose.

Srijith RajagopalanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analyst role at Goldman Sachs

The resume shortlist, I feel, was slightly unfair. They had put a cut-off of 9 for branches outside EE/CS.
Don't worry, they might not follow this next year. Your resume should have a mix of probability, finance (courses on these are enough, though internships will really help)

They don't care about your PoRs in the interview, but this may matter for the resume shortlist (Assuming it's done fairly) So be sure to include them.

• Section 1: Coding
  • Section 2: Quant
  • Section 3: Machine Learning
There were 30 MCQ questions, 10 each on the above mentioned sections. There is no dearth of time, so you can think clearly and solve the question. I found that quant was the hardest of the lot, followed by coding followed by ML.

ML questions will be on SVMs, ANNs, Ensemble learning methods, Hypothesis testing, Feature selection, Model selection etc. the standard topics you can find in "Elements of Statistical Learning" by Hastie, Tibshirani and Friedman.

The coding section was mostly on arrays, data structures (binary tree, mostly), recursion, and one subjective question.

For quant, you need to be really well versed in probability, definite integrals (Not kidding), and other JEE math.
You'll need to do really well in atleast one of the sections to be shortlisted. Even if you are non CS/EE, (assuming you don't have experience in coding) you can do really well in ML section. Aim for that and prepare in advance. Once you are through to the interview, you just need to give them a reason to hire you. :)

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself?
  • Question 2: Given a biased coin, how do you create an unbiased toss?
  • Question 3: Once you have done that, what is the expected number of turns you need to wait for getting the first unbiased toss.
  • Question 4: Suppose a man starts at 0, and has to go to 20 on the number line. He can either move in steps of 1 or 2. How many number of ways can he do this? Extending this, if we know the number of ways for going from 0 to n, how do we get the number of ways for going from 0 to n+1? Derive a recursive formula for the same.
The lady who interviewed me was a chemE graduate from IIT Bombay. She was friendly and willing to help when asked about a problem. Overall, very good interview experience.
For all interviews, I'll say this. Ask a lot of questions. They are very interested in explaining what they do, and feel free to interrupt them if you don't understand something. Always try to relate what they say to your interest. That way you'll bring new perspective into the interview. And that's very useful, believe me. If they have shortlisted you, they want to hire you. You just have to give them a reason to. Always relate your experiences and your interests with what they do. if you do that, they will find a role for you, somewhere. Do not worry. I was interested in machine learning and I got a finance profile. (They have a team in that profile that does ML)

For quant questions, I would suggest thinking out loud and interacting each step of the way. They care more about your thinking than about the answer. They will point out the errors and you can correct them. Don't worry about silences, as long as you think out loud, it will not be a problem.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Have you applied to any PhD programs?
  • Question 2: Given a number line, and we have a rod of length L. We drop the rod on the line, what is the probability that it covers an integer?
  • Question 3: Suppose there are N chocolates, and I pick a random one, and eat that chocolate and also everything to the right of it. I then continue this process with the remaining. How many ways are there to do this?
  • Question 4: Supposed there is a party, with 9 people, each person wants to give gifts to 3 people and also wants a gift from them. Is this scenario possible? If not, when is this possible? Give me a general case.
  • Question 5: Given a tank with liquid, and there are flows in and out, inflow is U and outflow is Kx, where x is current height of liquid in tank, all needed quantities given, what are the conditions for overflow and steady state? (Asked me because I was a chemE and felt that my knowledge shouldn't be wasted. Funny.)
  • Question 6: What are your interests? (Be careful, align the interests to their profile)
Again, very friendly interview. The interviewer will lead you on, and assist you if you're facing any difficulty. :) Just be sure to be jovial and interactive.
Same as above.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Given there are 2 kinds of coins spread all over the world, and we start picking coins, what is the expected number of coins to pick, to have both kinds of coins in hand?
  • Question 2: Given a window of 1 hour, and two friends want to meet, given that the arrival time follows a uniform distribution, what is the probability that they will arrive within ten minutes of one another.
  • Question 3: Grilled me about my internship, (time series modeling) went in depth about why I did this, that, etc. If you have a time series or ML project, they will grill you on it.
  • Question 4: Given we have a (un)biased die, with given probabilities, and we toss it till we get a sum of 100 or more (basically if the sum crosses 100), and we stop. What is the most probable number you will get on the last toss? (The answer is not the highest biased die probability)
Very technical, serious interview. I think he was the senior guy. He still helped out a lot.
Be to the point, he was more interested in the technical knowledge.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What do you think our team does. (I gathered this information by asking a lot of questions from other interviewers. It helps a lot)
  • Question 2: What do you know about options?
  • Question 3: What is a call option? Why are call options bought?
  • Question 4: If I have to buy fuel from you, what option would I buy?
  • Question 5: If we increase the volatility of the stock, how does the price of a call option change?
  • Question 6: How do you calculate the price of a call option?
  • Question 7: Is the price of a barrier option more or less than a normal option?
  • Question 8: Do you have any questions?
The final interview I had. He was very helpful, and was very eager to talk about the company and what they do. He had an extensive knowledge of finance, options (obviously). The course on Mathematical Finance by the maths department was very useful. You need to have a good knowledge of options for getting through this.
Same as the first interview.

Fractal Analytics analyst interview

Palak MarwahFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at NIT Nagpur for Analyst role at Fractal Analytics
Test Technical Interview Puzzle Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude
  • Section 2: Verbal Ability
  • Section 3: Reasoning
  • Section 4: General aptitude
The test was of easy to moderate difficulty level. There was no negative marking hence choosing the questions to maximize score was the best way. It was a speed based test and a few questions in each section were put to break your speed in the form of calculation based questions or slightly difficult ones. Decent preparation for CAT etc is more than sufficient. Verbal was very easy, quants and reasoning were moderate. I always thought that quants was my weakness, but this test was easier than expected.
1) Choose questions in each section wisely because there is no negative marking. Leave the ones you think are time consuming and fill it at the last.
2) Make sure you allot equal time to all sections or if you have one section as your strength do it first. There can be chances of sectional cut off, I am not sure
3) Maximize your score by keeping your speed maintained
4) A decent preparation for CAT is more than enough. Verbal has 1 or 2 RCs which are very easy.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Walk me through your resume
  • Question 2: What did you learn in your conference at Harvard University?
  • Question 3: If you were travelling so much, how did you maintain a CGPA of 8?
  • Question 4: Mumbai or Bangalore (2 job locations in the offer). I said Bangalore, she was surprised as I stay in Nagpur. Asked me why?
  • Question 5: What is your weakness?
  • Question 6: Give me a situation where you handled a problem effectively?
  • Question 7: Why do you not want to go in core Metallurgy (my Btech majors)?
The first round was pretty easy I thought because the interviewer was pretty relaxed and was just trying to get to know me. She asked questions about every point in my resume. I could feel that you are the one who drive your interview the way you want to from the first question.
1) PLEASE be HONEST with your resume. They will ask you about each and every point. They asked about EVERY internship I did, every conference, everything. So be honest and well versed with what you mention in your resume.

2) Do not get laid back if the interviewer is a little relaxed. The ones who did in my time, did not get shortlisted for next round.

3) Be aware of your answers, you can drive your own interview.

Puzzle Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: What was your internship in IIM A about?
  • Question 2: Okay. How many people attended StanChart Mumbai Marathon?
  • Question 3: The puzzle of 2 cans of 3Litre and 5 litre used to measure other values (very common one)
  • Question 4: I have 5 other BTech metallurgy graduates, why should I hire you?
  • Question 5: You mean they will disappoint my efforts?
  • Question 6: Do not try to safe guard your friends (humorously)
Ans 1 - Case studies on sports leagues in India - Indian Badminton League, Hockey India League and Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon
Ans 2 - Guessestimate question. Gave a reason for answer, it was not even close for the first time because I could not estimate population of Marine Drive (venue of marathon) near to real value but my algorithm was correct, hence he moved to next question.
Ans 4 - I will not disappont the efforts put in me, I am sincere and passionate about my work.
Ans 5 - No I do not mean that.
Ans 6 - I would act as an asset for the company who would help in building other assets by helping and working together with my peers in Fractal
1) Make sure you keep explaining your method at each step, this way even if values are wrong, they are interested in method.

2) Dont panic, you can ask them to give you 2 3 minutes to think

3) Be honest. Have presence of mind, understand when he is not happy with your response

4) The interviewer was continuously roaming around the room trying to distract me. So be focussed.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Women in India do not get what they deserve. Do you agree?
  • Question 2: Tell me about both
  • Question 3: What are the evidences?
  • Question 4: Okay what are your hobbies?
  • Question 5: What genre of books?
  • Question 6: What was the last book you read? What do you think of it?
  • Question 7: What is one learning from it?
  • Question 8: What is truth? Like the one you have been taught or the one you learn yourself like your parents teach you to not cut nails at night etc ot go to the temple?
  • Question 9: So why should we visit temples?
  • Question 10: Why fractal?
Ans 1 - Do you intend to ask about their rights from society or freedom from home?
Ans 2 - According to me the societal restrictions are forced, but the family restrictions might be justified because I asked my father and he gave evidences from Vedas which was logical.
Ans 3 - Told her the facts
Ans 4 - Travelling, meeting new people and reading books
Ans 5 - both fiction and non fiction. Named a few titles and authors
Ans 6 - My Experiments with Truth - MK Gandhi, Like most of my peers, I made a negative conclusion about MK Gandhi.
Ans 7 - That truth must always prevail but it doesnt define truth.
Ans 8 - Ma'am, what we are taught and what we grow up with is our paradigm. Truth is what we accept after observing everything. For example I was curious why we should visit the temple and I researched about it, read a few texts and forme dmy opinion this i smy truth so it can be subjective.
Ans 9 - Gave the reason
Ans 10 - I think Fractal works on the same principle as I do that there should be a balance between everything in life. My seniors at fractal have talked extremely well about the work life balance and as you would see my profile is also a balance between sports, extra curriculars and academics
1) I was confident and aware about what I was saying.
2) I gave openings for her to ask the next question like define truth, why temples etc.
3) Be honest and tell them waht you think. This round is just to check if you fit in their work culture or not.

Make sure your resume is one page long only and is COMPLETELY TRUE.

• Verbal Ability And Reading Comprehension For Cat : Arun Sharma,
  • Non-verbal And Logical Questions From Any Book For CAT,
  • CAT Quant Books,
2 things are very important for fractal -

1 - stay calm

2 - be honest. they can see through it.

Read about Fractal properly, use it in your answers. HR round will have one question - Do ask at least one question
It was an analyst job and the company has a very good work life culture.
When in 1st round I was asked any difficult situation you handled, I told about my visit to Japan and how I did a presentation there in Class 10, my interviewer then began to tell me about her visit to Japan and how good Japanese people are

Also in last round, we had a healthy long discussion about what is truth, why women are denied a few things etc/ All HR interviews were 10 minutes long with normal questions like hobbies and general stuff but mine went on for 40 minutes and I did not even mind it.

Snapdeal analyst interview

Kaustubh GuptaFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Bombay for Analyst role at Snapdeal
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Problem Statement Case Study Interview HR Interview Guesstimate Interview

It was a bit disappointing to not get shortlisted in a couple of companies I was looking forward to, but I really didn't expect much with my CPI (6 pointer during placements). But my internship helped me loads and gave my resume one 'spike' which became crucial.
Maintain a good CPI, as you've heard from every senior, but is necessary. Also keep a couple of profiles in your mind, which you want to work in, and then create a resume as such, and take up internships and POR's, all good spikes for which a recruiter, mostly including an IIT alumnus look for.

• Section 1: Aptitude Test
A make or break situation for me due to my poor CPI. Fortunately I got shortlisted in almost all companies for which I gave the test, for GD and so on, so it's a very very crucial part of the placement process.
Be smart during giving your tests. The recruiter judges your decision making skills and speed skills through this. Specially with students with an average CPI, this is the most important step as companies that come for mass recruitment make their decision on this basis.

Problem to be solved
For SnapDeal, they had what they called a Group Activity but it was per se a GD. They gave us a problem, a general aptitude question and they gave us hints in order to solve it. I tried to take charge and maintain decorum among 20 people there and it helped.
I was way more silent during my GD for Flipkart and that is the worst thing I could have done.
Always speak up. Content matters less, being smart and practical matters more. You can twist the points of another person, but keep your stand, whatever side you take. Just keep calm and speak your heart out. Also, give everyone a chance. If someone in the room hasn't spoken a word for some while, take the initiative to stop the discussion then and there and ask that person his/her views. A moderator is not always looking at a person who starts or ends well, he might be looking for a person who is a team player.

Problem Statement

Unfortunately never had the chance to tackle this part of the process.
Do what you feel is right, even if it's going wrong. An attempt matters, don't leave the space blank.

Case Study Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Estimate the revenue of a Dominos outlet.
There were different approaches to tackle this problem, and I mostly took the most complicated and inaccurate one. But I was confident in what I was doing. I estimated the amount of pizzas delivered and purchased on the spot, estimated the number of people served by the outlet area-wise, where I could have used an age distribution method. I guesstimated the cost of one pizza, also dividing into sizes and also included other side orders. The interviewer was happy and got selected in to the next round. This is for a company by Indus Insights, a consulting firm.
Practice makes perfect. Cover all case interviews and practice hard, specially for a consulting firm obviously. Be confident with the method you use, and constantly interact with the interviewer. Do not underestimate the importance of keeping the interviewer in the loop. Tell him/her what you are thinking, even though it's rubbish, and ask them for clarifications wherever you're stuck. It's not just your problem solving skills, it's a test to how you present the solution to a potential client.

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
  • Question 2: Why E-commerce (or whatever field you're applying to)?
  • Question 3: Why Snapdeal (or whatever company it is)?
I started off with my basic introduction i.e. Name, Branch, hometown etc. Then I shifted to my intern as it had been the most recent activity I had done. So on, I continued covering all my internships and POR and then told some of my hobbies. Regarding the why e-commerce question, I mentioned the fact that it's the fastest growing market in the world, and the company is among the top firms in this market.
Its important to prepare these questions before hand. These are make or break questions as these relate to whether you'll fit the dynamics of the firm. Its important to be energetic and lively. What you show in the interview is exactly what they perceive to be your general status and personality. Always saw the firm excites you and you should be aware of the functioning of the market and the firm. Studying up earlier is a must, regarding recent developments in general as well.
Don't be afraid to cross question regarding the company and other affairs related to the company.
I wasn't asked a behavioural question as such, but try not to get cocky. Keep it simple, and don't get frustrated.

Guesstimate Interview

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Estimate the costs of an Auto-Rickshaw driver. (No time frame)
I started off by asking the time frame. Nothing was cleared by the interviewer so I started asking the basic questions, regarding city, etc. I broke down the costs i.e. Personal and related to maintenance. Asked a ton of questions in order to keep the interviewer involved.
A guesstimate is quite similar to a case interview, but this tests more general knowledge wherein a case questions your intellect on the case itself. Similar tips as to tackling a case, but you make loads of assumptions yourself. Read some population and area data of major Indian cities before hand, and keep asking whether the assumptions you're making sound reasonable or not. Don't worry if the answer is too random, it's more about the process rather than the figure.
Also, if you have read up before on how to solve guesstimates, you'll face something called as Sanity check. In the interview, you aren't asked to do one, try and avoid unless you are really confident.

Speed is crucial in the tests. Half of the people usually complain on missing out on questions.
Don't lose hope. Placements are a tiring process. People with brilliant resumes don't get placed and haven't gotten placed yet. So keep on fighting, you will get placed in a good company with a good package soon. Also don't reject a company if the package is okay, it's your first job. You are being awarded money based on one interview, they don't know your work yet. So choose a job where you like the profile instead of the money.
It is a fast growing company in the fastest growing market. A company where growth is fast and leaning experience is endless. They have also taken up social projects towards which I have some inclinations so that helped.
One of my friend got placed a day before me in Olacabs, and had a higher CPI than me. The day I got placed he was with me, and I could not help laughing the fact that I had a higher package.

CapitalOne analyst interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analyst role at CapitalOne
Test Interview Interview

• Section 1: Written
The test was purely based on Data Interpretation. Every page had 3 charts and 5 objective questions based on those charts. There was severe time constraint in the paper and my selectivity among the questions proved beneficial in clearing the cut-off.

Interview

Preliminary Case Interview: Duration -10 minutes (Just after the Written Test) - One on One Case Interview.

"Tell me about yourself" was the first question asked to me. I just told him a few things about myself mainly focusing on the financial projects I did. Then he gave me a trivial case study as follows, "There are two economical classes, Prime and Sub-Prime, and I had to give a Motorcycle loan to one of them. Whom should I give?" I was supposed to ask him any information that I would require to solve this case study. Whenever I used to get stuck he gave me hints to work upon. And finally, based on the value he gave me I could compare the profit from both the classes. The main thing about the case study was the way of solving it and how interactive was I with the interviewer.
After this, the next round was held during the placement time. They had given us the link for few practice case-studies. The Case Study given at their website is the most important one. It helps you understand the standard approach they look for in a candidate.

Interview

1st Case Interview: Duration – 50 minutes

My interview was of the longest duration compared to others, so if your interview is a lengthy one then be happy :). The case was based on Credit insurance involving simple mathematics to reach a logical conclusion.
The Case Study: - "Capital One reached its customers for new offers through postal mail. They had 2 kinds of postal services, A class and C class. In A Class, if the customer had changed his address then the postal service would update the address on the letter and it would reach the customer at the new address. In C Class, if the address is changed then the customer would not get the mail. I was supposed to tell which one of the postal service was better in two conditions, 1st when no. of mail to be made is fixed and 2nd when amount to be spend in mailing is fixed."
I found this case simpler than the earlier one. I managed to complete the case in just 20 minutes. The interviewer was very impressed with the speed with which I was able to solve the case. It was enough to make me realize that I had made it.
The main thing that you need to remember in Case Study of this sort is that you need to speak your mind. It helps the interviewer understand the way you are thinking. So if you have made some calculation mistake he wouldn’t mind that because he knows that you are going in the right direction. This was something the interviewer told me that he liked about
me.
The Biggest question that all of us face in final year is "WHAT NEXT". With the options like CAT/GRE/CORE/FINANCE/CONSULTING it becomes extremely difficult to select just one. Initially I had no idea what it was going to be, but after my internship I knew that I wouldn't be going for either core or higher studies. After talking to seniors, I realized that doing MBA after one or two years of work experience would be better - you know what you have to focus on and would also give you a smoother platform to change your field of job if

you are not comfortable in it. So my choices just narrowed down to jobs in either finance or consulting. Looking at the job scenario in our placement season, I knew I had to prepare for all of them. That is one of the reasons I appeared for CAT because it is always good to have an option and also preparing for CAT helps a lot in placement preparation. One needs to be thoroughly prepared for each of the placement processes.

Resume:

A resume is one of the most important things which mark the first impression upon the interviewer. You should devote ample time to work upon it. Every company looks for a different kind of candidate to suit their purpose; make sure your resume fits that profile. Prepare resumes separately for each sector with some minor changes for companies of same sector. Get your resume checked and rechecked by some alumnus in the company you are

applying for.

PPTs:

The best way to know about the company is through its PPT. It gives you the details of the work profile and also tells you what kind of candidate the company is looking for. It is an opportunity to get all your queries, regarding the company and the work profile clarified.

Written Test:

Usually the CAT preparation is more than enough to crack the data interpretation and aptitude tests (excluding the technical tests). Practice plays an important role here to be able to solve the lengthy tests speedily and accurately. People aiming the finance companies must read Economic Times (specially the editorials) regularly to form a broader perspective of the financial situation all over the world.

Group Discussions:

I used to think that GD is just another formal bulla session that we have. But it turned out to be a complete disaster when I had a GD round during an Internship process. It is just not what you speak that matters, but also how well you convey your points, how well you work in a group, do you understand the group dynamics, your body language, and other group etiquette that matter. The most disappointing thing was that when SPO had started this session for GD practice very few people turned up. It is through these sessions that you learn

the Do's and Don’ts of a GD. With every GD session that we used to have, I used to learn some new thing or the other.

Case Studies:

At first case studies seem to be highly intimidating. The workshops on Case Study by SPO helped me clear all my apprehensions, and then the process became a lot easier. Initially we used to solve a case in a group of 2-3 people and afterwards we did it individually discussing the methodology that we adopted and the different solutions that we approached. The discussions were the most important part as we learned what mistake we committed. It helped us frame our mindset in the right direction.

HR Interviews:

To be able to do well in an HR interview one needs to do a lot of introspection about one’s own self. This helps you in answering some very basic questions like your strengths, weakness, your future objective etc. You should be able to modify your answers according to the company profile. I prepared for HR interview in a group of 3. Initially, we gathered all the questions that the interviewer is likely to ask. We divided our answers based on the

company profile and also prepared examples to support our qualities. Finally we conducted 3-4 rounds of mock interviews.