Analog Engineer

Analog Engineer Interview Questions and Tips

Texas Instruments analog engineer internship interview

Nived RajaramanFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Madras for Analog Engineer role at Texas Instruments
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

• Section 1: 70
Test was challenging. Depending on the profile 5 tests were conducted, pure HW, pure SW, pure DSP, HW+DSP and HW+SW. The tests were of varying durations. My choice was HW+SW which had 4 sections: digital, analog, software and aptitude. The first two sections were pretty challenging.
Analog: revise EMC - bode plots + RLC circuits + op amps
Digital: not too much revision required. Questions based on analog were asked here too, so ref. above
Software: understanding of low level C concepts like stacks, function pointers, threads etc. were asked. Some questions on calculating time and space complexity of an algorithm. Mostly theory based MCQs

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Arrange 4 balls in space such that they are equidistant from each other
  • Question 2: Draw a functional block diagram of a transducer
  • Question 3: What is the rough output of a black box that kills lie frequencies, taking a rectangular pulse as input
  • Question 4: Resistances R, 5R, 9R, 13R... are placed in series. What is the cumulative resistance
  • Question 5: How can a 2:1 multiplexer be used as an AND gate
  • Question 6: How can you swap the values of 2 variables without using a 3rd temporary variable. FOLLOW UP: how can this be generalized for cyclic rotations of 3,4... N variables
Pretty straightforward interview with questions not limited to analog as the field of interest (it was the profile I was selected for).
Keep cool and work through the process in steps. For some of the tougher questions, the interviewer is helpful enough to suggest steps for proceeding forwards so it only becomes a question of voicing whatever approach you have towards solving the question

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Tell me a little about yourself
  • Question 2: Why TI?
  • Question 3: What is 'X'? (X was one of my projects)
  • Question 4: What is the one biggest change in you after coming to IIT?
  • Question 5: What are your plans after graduation?
Most generic HR interview ever. It was more casual that if I had been talking with friends.
General tips:

Be positive
Be clear and concise
Leave little hints in your answers that you are looking to work at TI after graduation (they value this a lot)

• Heard On The Street,
Be open and calm. It's OKAY to crack a joke or two during the interview to lighten the mood, but sometimes it can explode in your face, so know your limits.
It is Texas Instruments. That is a good enough reason.
Nothing to say here really. Probably getting selected was the funniest thing all day

Texas Instruments analog engineer interview

Sai KiranFresherSelected
Application
I was interviewed on-campus at IIT Roorkee for Analog Engineer role at Texas Instruments
Resume Shortlist Test Group Discussion Problem Statement HR Interview Technical Interview

No resume based shortlist . However having a 7+ CGPA is safer side

30min Minutes
  • Section 1: Aptitude
Both logical and quant based aptitude questions. Logical questions were tougher
Focus on logical aptitude questions.Time is the key.

No group discussion

Problem Statement

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why TI?
  • Question 2: Why analog ?
HR asked me to quickly go through my resume . Then lots of discussion on my internships and projects as well as extra curriculars.

It was almost 45-50 min interview. Very few companies take such long HR interview. So please be very clear about resume and ur goals.
Be strong in what ever u wrote in ur resume

Analog based questions :

First round : Lots and lots of RC ckts, bodeplots, basics of MOSFETs

Second round : On my project and my topic of interest ( I choose Op-Amps ) and there were very difficult ( atleast to me ) questions on opamp design and positive feedback.
Feel free to contact me at saikiran.iitr@gmail.com  for any more help

• Behzad Razavi - Introduction to Microelectronics,
  • Boylested - Electronic Devices and Circuits,
  • edx . 6.002 X - Circuits and Electronics by MIT,
TI is best in Analog which is my area. :)
I had two techinical rounds. First round was a cake walk for me ( remind u only 2/20 are shortlisted for second round ) .

Second round was very difficult ( I told myself between the interview to say bye bye to TI ) . Yet I cleared it. It was like a stress interview.

Texas Instruments analog engineer internship interview

Aditya PradeepFresherSelected
Test Technical Interview HR Interview

165 mins Minutes
  • Section 1: Analog
  • Section 2: Digital
  • Section 3: Aptitude
  • Section 4: Software
I had applied for analog,digital and software profiles.Hence I had 4 sections.
Aptitude was pretty easy.All questions were straightforward.Easily solvable in time given.
Analog required knowledge of basic electrical circuits(RC,RLC(Series,parallel), Opamps and other basic theorems). They did ask questions on MOSFETS and BJT's which I did not know.
Digital was very vague. They asked very few question related to K-maps and Boolean algebra.They asked many circuit related questions.
Software required basic knowledge in C.
Revise Electric and Magnetic Circuits(all theorems),RC,RL and RLC circuits. Know about the step response/sinusoidal response, 3dB bandwidth, transfer functions ,Opamps and diodes

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Basic question on sum of series of resistors in AP
  • Question 2: Question on circuit of 2 way switch
  • Question 3: A rectangular pulse was passed through a black box which destroys high frequency .How would output look?
  • Question 4: Question on finding minimum and kth minimum of array
  • Question 5: Can 4 equidistant points exist in space ?
Pretty straightforward. Interviewer helps a bit. It always helps in verbally explaining the procedure out loud.
Basics should be thorough

Interview Questions
  • Question 1: Why do you want to join this company?
  • Question 2: Who is your inspiration?
  • Question 3: What could you have done better in your life?
Pretty straightforward. Just answer to the point and be as truthful as possible

Just be thorough in your basics.
I wanted to do in a core company. They were the first core company .So I applied.

Texas Instruments analog engineer interview

Application
I was interviewed on-campus for Analog Engineer role at Texas Instruments
Test Technical Interview

Very easy questions, lots of time. Some basic hardware questions. Both the tests were very easy.They do not care, if you do not know any of the basics.
What they mainly see, is how quickly you can understand or grab concepts, and how well you can apply them.

They basically grill you on the basics of analog VLSI design. Specifically on the frequency response of various RC circuits. Then they will look into the transient response of various RC circuits, Op-Amp stability criterion.
They will help you, and you have to grab on to their hints. Good interview. Very good questions.

If you have a good base in VLSI circuits, then well and good. However, even if you do not have that much knowledge, but are good in analog VLSI design, and basic transient system design, they will consider you. They are looking for very strong FUNDAMENTALS on basic RC circuits.
Basically the company looks at your analog signal domain knowledge, and your capability to grasp things quickly. Not funda intensive, but how well can you apply the little funda you have.