Ernst & Young Associate consultant interview
The students were allowed to apply for all the 3 profiles but were asked for preference later among these 3 profiles. Students are shortlisted for only 1 profile based on their 1st preference so be careful in choosing your interested profile. I don't know the criteria for resume shortlist exctly other than the preference selected out of 3 profiles
2. Be careful in writing your RESUME as the interview is completely on Resume and HR questions. There were no puzzles/ guesstimates/ anything else other than resume and HR in interviews
I've started the discussion by structuring and spoke moderately during the GD. It was difficult due to a good group and tough competition. Please get proper GD fundaes as it's very important to get selected for the interview.
It's very important to note the points during discussion. In our case, moderator asked everyone in the group to conclude and you can't do it without writing down points from discussion
2. Try crossing your legs as it shows your confidence to the moderator and highly increases your chance of shortlisting.
3. Always keep smile on your face. Remember it's just a smile.....don't laugh/ smile very wide. Smile reduces the tension/ stress in you and gives a lot of relief to everyone.
4. Take note of the points spoken by all to give a conclusion.
5. SLIGHTLY RISKY BUT PAYS OFF A LARGE DIVIDEND - Try taking a stand different from everyone in your group. It makes the moderator think you add a different perspective to the team in general and you'll get shortlisted. But be careful that you need to have such stance during discussion and also need to mention points supporting your argument.
Ex: In the end when moderator asked to conclude I said "I'm not in support of Demonetization" whereas everybody else said they were in support of Demonetization
Then he asked about my BTP which involved lot of Data analytics. I've explained the tools used and the entire process briefly including all the techniques used. He was satisfied with my answer due to the confidence levels even though he doesn't know a lot about data analytics.
Next he asked me about Market Research internship which I almost explained for 10 minutes. This was my best pitching point and I've prepared well. It has caught lot of interest in him. It was similar to the work I would be doing after I get this job. So he liked it and asked more about it.
Later he asked about innovation. In this I mentioned one of my project where we designed a new mechanism. Giving examples is the best way to answer any interview question. It means you've done something regarding it than just preparing the answers.
Stregths - Of course everyone needs to prepare it. MOST IMPORTANT Question. Mention the qualities given in skills required along with Job description provided by the company in portal. Again give examples for the qualities mentioned.
Weaknesses - There are several answers available online. Choose the one that suits you best and is not a problem to the company. Try not saying routine answers like too hard-working or too perfect. I said that I used to struggle working on multiple projects in my 1st year. And I've improved a lot by planning and did 3 PoR's in my 3rd year and have given very good results.
Future 5 years- Divide it into short-term(2-3 years) and long-term(5 years). Mention you'll explore and develop expertise in 2-3 years. Then you'll choose the domain of your interest and lead a team to offer best solutions to clients giving a larger impact on the society.
He asked about instances where I was a team-player, when I did social service. He also questioned me about my views regarding turning into a farmer and also about organic farming.
Finally he asked me if I had any questions. My question was "What's the role of analytics in Consultancy copmanies as we don't see lot of information in this sector?" He has explained it for quite some time which is a good sign of asking a good question and lands you brownie points.
2. Prepare an exhaustive set of questions by doing good ground work online using Ambition box, Glass door.
- Question 1: Tell me about yourself.
- Question 2: Explain about your intern
- Question 3: Explain the analytics project
- Question 4: Instance about my creative/ innovative skills
- Question 5: Team-work instances
- Question 6: Why consulting? Why EY?
- Question 7: How would you parents/ friends/ mentors/ teachers/ colleagues describe you in one word?
- Question 8: Do you have any questions?
I've explained about my intern, project etc. from the resume.
I've given an example of my competition being converted into course project for my innovative and creative skills. Later I've mentioned my social service activities. I have given many projects of mine as examples to prove that I'm a team-player.
Be best prepared with questions like Why consulting? Why not a start-up? Why corporate job? Why this company? You can use sources like 64 HR Questions.
Be prepared with your list of qualities for strengths. It has helped me in mentioning different types of qualities for each part of the question regarding parents/ friends/ team members/ mentors/ teachers etc.
Of course, I've prepared for only one question to ask and I've been asked if I had any questions in every interview. The interviewer was kind enough to let me go saying that it's not necessary to have questions. I was so happy with the situation. I was quite sure that I'm placed with the end of this round as they kept on taking me round by round for each interview continuously without any gap.
2. Be confident and don't bluff
3. Be thorough with your resume
4. Have questions in the end to ask
- Question 1: Tell me about yourslef
- Question 2: Explain points in resume that are mentioned in Tell me about yourself
- Question 3: Are you okay working at any location?
- Question 4: Which sector would you like to work in if given an offer?
- Question 5: Do you have any questions?
Regarding location, say you're okay with any place. Regarding sector ask them for options and choose what interests you more. Also say that you would like to explore and then decide the interested domain in 2-3 years but as of now you would like to begin in that particular sector.